When Two is One The Church of the Green

Lucius’ face stiffened at the thought of something unpleasant and was just as quickly replaced by a flash of teeth. A grin crept across his features and he shrugged his broad shoulders. “All I’m saying is the Guard has a lot of unused equipment. It’d be a shame to let it go to waste... And one of us just happens to be an ex-guard and know a thing or two about the Garrison over in the Grounds District.”

Karsin gave Lucius a hesitant look, before letting out a sigh and smiling encouragingly. Lucius was Karsin’s closest thing to a friend and he wasn’t going to give that up, besides Lucius surely didn’t mean what Karsin thought he meant. “We’d better get goin” Karsin remarked as he realised they had both been standing there in the exact same spot for quite sometime, and sneaking a glance out of one of the many
large stain glass windows seeing that the light continued to dim.

Karsin appeared to dismiss Lucius’ suggestion, but he wasn’t one to give up easily. “You’re right,” he replied, starting off alongside Karsin towards the door. As they emptied out onto the cobblestone street he picked up the subject once more. “Just... think about it. We aren’t gonna catch these guys if we’re constantly playing by the rules. We need leverage and right now we don’t have shit.” While the words were blatant his tone wasn’t aggressive, he made sure of that. He knew how he could be, what with his sternness and all, so he consciously made an effort to sound friendly. “The Guard has equipment that could prove invaluable to our investigation.” He left it at that, deciding that he wouldn’t pressure Karsin too harshly into what could be considered criminal activity. As far as he knew Karsin had never broken the law in his entire life. This was quite the jump from law-abiding citizen to grand theft vigilante.

As Lucius continue to speak Karsin perked up a bit glancing over at him, “Invaluable” he murmured under his breath letting the word slide off his Young’s. His mind suddenly envisioned himself and Lucius heroically rescuing the missing people, and though the thought was outlandish and out right childish for someone his age, Karsin couldn’t help but smile. “Well...” he started his grin spreading, “If it is Invaluable then I guess we have no choice but to do it, do we?” He said his voice taking a more mischievous tone. Karsin had not been much of a rule breaker when he was younger, most likely because his father didn’t have many rules, but he had been a pretty reckless child. Once when he was about 5 his father had told him not to touch his saw in his tool shed, but of course Karsin touched it anyway, nearly chopping off his hand in the process. He had been pretty by the rules since then, but as the chance came by he found his more child like side began to take over, the thought of this crime turning more into a game to be won.

Lucius nodded, more to himself than to Karsin, and started to envision their success. In his mind a plan began to form and he began to brainstorm out loud. “To launch a successful raid on this outpost it will require stealth, speed, and the utmost precision. First, we’ll need to lure out the guards and sneak into the compound. Second, we’ll need to traverse the compound quickly, gather what we need, and extract before they know what hit em.” He stroked his chin thoughtful. “Now, I might have a plan for getting in. Come on,” he said picking up the pace as he strode through the late evening breeze. “We can discuss it there.

Karsin nodded an idiotic grin on his face though it soon disappeared as he quickly said, “Uh I mean no, I need to go to my house first. My dad is bound to be home by now and he is probably wondering where I am” Karsin explained rubbing his elbow guilty. Liz took this moment to give a loud squeak before he pooped into gas, soon reappearing five feet in front of Karsin on the floor.

Lucius nodded, trying his best not to appear annoyed. He’d have to accept the limitations of a younger partner. “Very well. I can come with you or meet you at the Garrison,” he suggested. He didn’t mind either way, but he wasn’t sure if Karsin was familiar with the location of the Garrison so perhaps it’d be better if they traveled together. “Your call,” he said, with a reassuring nod. Karsin had seemed rather competent when calling the shots earlier so Lucius felt he could trust the boy to make his own decisions without his questioning them.

“You should probably come with me, It might be better if my Father met you before we ran off together, unlike the common district it isn’t very safe to go off with strangers here.” He said with a knowing smile. He bent down and allowed Liz to scurry back up onto his hand before setting him in his pocket beside the gun that rested there still unused, and to be honest Karsin hoped it stayed that way. “We’d better hurry, the later we set off the less likely my father will agree to me staying out.” Karsin said now confidently walking forward.

Lucius sighed at the though of Karsin’s father not allowing him to stay out late. Of all the grounders he could’ve chosen as his partner it was his like to get stuck with an underaged one. He didn’t relish the thought of meeting the father, but it was a small price to pay for a loyal partner and he was readily willing to do so. “Well then,” he said, picking up his pace so that he was now taking long strides, his polished shoes clicking sharply along the cobblestones. “Let’s get a move on.”

As dawn draws to a close, morning arrives and with it, some renewed festivities. A festival known as The Adoption Day held by Mary Jane's Home for Displaced Children is being started in the city square. Festivities, food, games and most importantly couples or parents looking to adopt are heavily encouraged to attend as the Home offers interviews with children in order to adopt.

Back