The girl seemed to think she knew so much. Obviously she was from the outside. Not all of them lived that way. It was as if she believed the alcohol was what made them poor. It didn't matter that he lived that way, but he had plenty of friends that didn't and it hadn't done them any good. So there wasn't much point in not living like he did. "Well missy, you can be high and mighty if you like. Like most folk you've got a few things to learn." Spitting on the ground he turned to leave.

Waiting a few moments longer after the other man left the second one followed her a while longer. He wanted to see where she went and he was sure she would have a few things to say. He wasn't really in this because he wanted to be, but he knew the barkeep would give him a bowl of soup or some kind of favor if he could just get something out of this.

Following behind the lady for a few blocks the second man finally spoke up. "Hey, do me a favor. Tell me something that you think the barkeep would give me something for. I don't care if it's true. If you'll give me something I can tell you a little something about him too." With a tired grin he waited for her response. "Oh and don't try your fancy phrases on me. I'm not that easy to get rid of. I see something worth having and I aim to get it."

She could see she had struck the right nerve to get the man to get haughty and disengage. She didn't like being cruel or high on her horse like that, but she knew it would strike the right nerve to make the assumption even though she knew it was a broad assumption that was likely flawed. In her experience though, she knew that would strike a nerve with most poor to be considered as low life scum. She sighed inwardly as she saw the man disengage after a haughty reply. She didn't take it personally, she knew what she had said was cruel and a low blow. But, she couldn't afford one of them tailing her home.

She turned and left, her shoulders sagged with exhaustion. She rolled her shoulders a few times trying to loosen the knot in the right one. she didn't have it quite as easy as people assumed. But she would never share the truth of her origins. Her parents hasn't wanted a child, but they got her anyway. She was good publicity for their rich friends, so they didn't give her away. They left the staff to raise her, always demanding perfection and rarely ever sitting kindness out praise unless I'm the eyes of someone that would judge them and damage their image.

Upon hearing the man she had known had continued to follow her, she stopped, turning to face him. The prior seeking cockiness was not present, instead the exhaustion was clear. she had bags under her eyes from lack of sleep while her eyes were weary and dull. She could tell he wouldn't give up like the other man would.

"I'm not quite sure what Stetzon wants to know about me. Yea, I helped him when he was in a rough spot. No, I didn't have an alterior motive. I don't expect anything from him in return either. You can tell him this then. I wasn't lying about art college. My art, it's what pays for my classes along with any side job I can land. I'm not wealthy or have access to easy money. Everything I have, I busted my ass and body to get."

She was tired, but she wasn't lying about that or hiding anything from the man. She wanted him to be able to earn his meal.

"I hope that's enough for you to get a meal or whatever Stetzon promised you. And I'm sorry I was that way with three other man, but I really don't like being followed. I like my personal space and privacy." she said earnestly.

The man shrugged when she spoke to him. "Sounds honest enough. He might believe you and he might not. He'll believe me when I say that's what you've said as long as it's the same story you told him." At first he thought to leave, but he figured he would at least do her a favor. "Lady, I don't know why you would help an Amythion, but I'd advise keeping clear of him. I didn't come here cause I wanted to, but I know I don't want on his bad side. Only place an Amythion is ever seen is in the slums. He's been the longest living barkeep here, probably cause Amythion's are hard as hell to kill. Anyway, unless you got something for me I won't say anything else. I might know a few things about him if you've got a little extra cash."

This time the man turned to leave. He wasn't about to let his knowledge go to waste, but it wasn't free either. Over the years he learned his specialty was watching people and learning things about them. If the girl planned on coming back she would be someone to watch. She was odd, but she had caught the barkeep's attention and that was something.

She shrugged, "Most people don't trust truth even when its given freely, so he can do with the information what he will." She paused thinking a moment. "What is an Amythion, I have never heard that term before, can you explain or will that cost me? Our deal was I give you something useful and you have partially delivered considering without me knowing what an Amythion is, that information is useless." She paused again thinking as the man turned his back. She grinned outwardly, "How about this, I'll buy you a good meal and over the meal you tell me what you know about the barkeep. I can't be sure why, but there is something about him that has my interest. Depending on what exactly about him has drawn my interest could decipher..." Her words were cut off by her cellphone ringing. She cursed softly and looked at the caller ID. "I am truly sorry, but I must take this. It may be work for me. I hope you understand, please don't leave just yet."

Without waiting for his response she turned her back on the man as she pressed to answer & put the phone up to her ear.
"Talk." She answered briskly.
"Knock knock." The voice responded.
"Don't play with me." She responded coldly.
"I'm not. You've a delivery at home that is urgent, per the client." The male voice on the other end responded smoothly.
"Another one tonight. I am exhausted and can't guarantee this will be clean work." She growled. "Tell them find someone else. I am busy."
"Stop chasing your boy fantasy Luv and get to work!" The phone cut out at that before she could retort.

She looked visibly agitated. "After...the nerve...he will regret speaking that." She growled barely audibly with agitation dripping form her words.

She turned back to the man, her countenance shifted to complete calm. However, her body language warned of the danger she could be for the man, if he chose to cross her. "Client changed their deadline of 3 more days to by 8am tomorrow morning, but I've class at 7am. So I can only spare 15-20mins max. If you have something useful, I can pay you for more than just a meal. Don't waste my time or jerk my chain though." Her last words came out with a tone of icy warning. She crossed her arms and raised a brow at him as if to gesture to start talking.

Clearly the woman wasn't going to give him what she owed him unless she liked the information she got. The man rolled his eyes. "Right, you'll torture me cause that's worse than dying." He had heard a few of these threats before. "Don't get too riled up yet. I'll tell you a few things and then you'll pay me." He wasn't going to make a threat because if she was even half as smart as she thought she was she would know he didn't need to make one. She would never set foot back in these parts without a target on her if she didn't hold up her end of the deal. People were perhaps, poor and rough, but they guarded against outsiders around here.

"Amythions are a race of people. Not sure where they come from, but they seem to have almost superhuman strength. Most of them hide their strength and if they stay in the city they're quiet. Barkeep isn't any exception. I've seen him grab a big man and throw him out the door of the bar like he was a mere child. Don't see those kind of displays often. Some say Amythions are peaceful, others say they're deadly. Guess it depends on which side they think you're on."

The man had a growing smirk. "What makes them even more dangerous to keep company with is the fact that most of them don't tell you what they're really doing in the city. Some say they're working to bring back the old system, if that's found out usually they send a team of men after them. Not many of them will admit that their race is primarily made up of freedom fighters. Some of them are happy under the new system. No telling what the barkeep wants. He's quiet, like most of his kind, keeps his head down and avoids the authorities. He's technically outlawed. This is why they're only found in the slums. Authorities are too scared to come in here for good reason. Now you know what an Amythion is. An ancient race with plenty of freedom fighters in their ranks. Better watch your back missy. He's taken an interest in you and for what purpose I don't know."

Now that he'd told his tale the man held his hand out and grinned even broader. "I get paid. You can do all the research you want on the Amythion's you'll find plenty of what I said is true, or rumored."

She watched the man tell his tale & to check if he was lying to her. He seemed honest enough. Although the smirk was something she didn't expect from this man. Was he thinking that Stetzon would protect him from her? Or that she'd be scared of this tale? Or did he have more hidden than he was letting on? She wasn't sure, but she did need to go. She wanted more intel but would have to try getting it another way, another time. She'd have her guy research Amythions for her while she was on assignment to see what they could dig up.

"Lovely story." She responded in a nonchalant tone. "At least I've an idea where I want to keep him anyway. A deals a deal, even if the information is not exactly what I was asking for. I wanted to know more about him specifically, but that will have. To wait. I need to go.

She fished out the remaining $200 she had from her last job out her wallet & held it to herself. "Damsels in distress are not my cup of tea. As for why Stetzon has his eye on me is probably cuz he knows I'm not from around here n wants to make sure I'm not trouble. If that wasn't the case why would he send you two to stalk my moves. You really should work on that. I knew you both were following me the whole time." She offered him the $200. "Oh, & please tell Stetzon I'll be back to visit tonight if all goes well with this client today. I have no intention of turning back up empty handed, especially if he intends to have me tailed regularly." She replied in a matter of fact tone of voice.

There was no mistaking the fact that she was an outsider. The man snorted at her comment. "I'll take the money, but you gotta stop accusing everyone of wanting to get to know you." Counting the money he got a sort of glow to his face. "First guy wasn't sent by Stetzon, I was sent to follow him and when he left I cashed in on the bonus. Outsider's are unusually suspicious and gullible. I let you think what you wanted and now I have money to show for it." Since she was out of time he shoved the money in his pocket and started back into the alleys where he quickly disappeared.

It was doubtful she'd venture back into the area, but if she did she probably wouldn't see him anywhere but the bar. The barkeep wouldn't be letting any wild activities take place there and he was pretty safe and now $200.00 richer for it. That was a good amount for such minimal information. Obviously she was worth something if she wanted more information, but he'd have to be careful.

Stetzon saw the second man return to the bar the next day and he seemed to have a bit of a swagger and he demanded two servings for dinner. It was likely that he did a job somewhere. He hadn't said much of anything until he leaned in and started to whisper about the girl. Turned out she was sticking to her story, but it still didn't add up. Somewhere, she was working on the side and that much was clear. She kept it vague, and there wasn't any good reason for her to be here unless she was working. If she was working it was likely they wouldn't get along.

Without hesitation Stetzon nodded to the man and shrugged. "I give you both meals after you pay. Maybe one will be free." He had to pay for this one. Too many meals couldn't disappear and he'd like to hold another free meal for the girl, but he couldn't always hold those for her.

Coming back out of the kitchen Stetzon carried one bowl with his injured side and the other he slid toward the man and then grabbed the second bowl and slid that to him too. He'd be off in a few hours and then he had some meetings. In the mean time he could wait for more customers to come in. The only ones coming in at this time of night would be trouble makers and drunkards. Mostly the people trying to escape their problems.

He liked them sleezy looking, revealing & young. She cringed as she stepped out of the shadows wearing a mini skirt, low cut revealing blouse, & her hair was slightly messy. His typical call girl style. She had paid the pimp to set her up with him as a “toy” for him. The man had a disgusting taste not just in women, but what he did to them. She had watched a girl come from his place & interrogated the girl. He loved to beat them until they pleaded for mercy before taking his fill of them. She growled in disgust for a moment, then knocked on the sleezy hotel door. He answered, wearing nothing but a black silk robe with his initials embroidered on it. Fitting that you’ll be buried in that you pompous piece of crap!

“I am here for your pleasure tonight. I am a new girl under Tommy’s employment, he said I was to your liking.” She said in a very sultry voice.

He licked his lips, examining her as if he was a starving lion ready to devour her. He stepped aside, letting her in & close the door. She heard the audible click of the lock & the chain engage. It’s you who is locked in her with me big guy. She turned to him, beginning to dance in a very suggestive erotic way. She gasped; the man moved quickly & had her by the throat, pinned to the wall. He had advanced on her much faster than anticipated. The prior girl said he had let her dance a bit before demanding she get on her knees. Guess that’s not his kink tonight. She quickly analyzed the situation & realized this was part of his game, scare tactics.

She put on a feigned desperate look to him & whimpered, “Please, don’t hurt me. I just need the money cuz I wanna go to school & be a better person.”

“You’ll never rise from the gutter you crawled out of you simpering little Bitch.” He whispered in her ear, tightening his grip.

He had strength, she had to give him that. She had to get him to let up. She feigned fainting, letting her body go limp against the wall. She felt him ease off, lifting her damsel style & laying her on the bed. She felt his weight engage on the edge of the bed, it was now or never. She opened her eyes, quickly judging the distance & placed a swift punch into his solar plexus. He staggered back away from the bed side & glared angrily. She quickly got up, kicking the heels off, she needed more balance to deal with this one. He was a big guy, easily +300lbs between flab & muscle. He had the strength, but she had the agility. When he charged at her, easily side stepping, she sent a knee into his gut & her elbow into the back of his head as he crumpled over her knee. He hit the floor with a grunt. She placed her knee between his shoulder blades, drawing a knife from her thigh sheath under the skirt. Before she could react further, he bucked up, knocking her back. As her head connected with the tv stand, her hand instinctually released the knife. Before she could clear her head, he had hold of both her thighs & yanked her, back on the ground to him.

“I love a girl with some fight in her. They’re much more pleasing to break.”

She winced as he dug hard with his hands into her thighs. Damn you & your big hands you bastard. She glared angrily as he leaned down. She took a swing for his Adam’s apple, only to have her hand caught. I seriously underestimated this bastard. Shit, I got to figure out how to take him down. She slowed her breathing forcibly & took a minute, letting him think she was giving in. She cried out as sharp pain ripped through her leg as she felt him literally bite her inner thigh hard. She was momentarily thrown off by the sudden assault of pain he inflicted. Biting her other thigh, before leaning up to try to bite her again. Using her free leg, she pushed off the side of the bed as hard as she could, forcing him to lose balance & topple to the left, still holding her left leg over his shoulder where he was about to bite again. She quickly used the momentum, throwing the rest of her body into the roll, ending up straddling his shoulders.

Cold anger seeped into her like molten mercury. “You won’t hurt another girl.”

“You think you can do anything about it blonde?” He snorted.

“I can do more than you realize.” She responded coldly.

She grabbed out the small sub compact 9mm from the small of her back, undoing the safety in a quick fluid movement.

“Beg.” She demanded as she placed the loaded gun between his eyes.

Realization illuminated his eyes as he whimpered, “Plea…”

She pulled the trigger 3 times in rapid succession. It was personal now after he had tried to assault. She got up, feeling warm liquid on her inner thigh in several places. She looked down to find 3 bite marks, all bleeding a fair bit. She kicked him once for spite. She then walked to her purse, grabbing out her cell.

“It’s done. Come get me. Send the cleaners for this one.” She said before cutting off the call, not permitting there to be any further discussion.

She went to the bathroom & began checking & treating her bites. After about 20minutes, the knock came. She walked to the door, gun in hand just in case. Opening the door, she shoved the gun in the person’s face.

“Shit Luv, chill!”

She put the gun away, reapplying the safety. “Sorry, can’t be too careful it wasn’t one of his lackies.”

“Damn you’re jumpy Luv.”

“Shut up, let’s go.” She said grumpily, grabbing her stuff. “The cleaners just arrived.”

She nodded at the team as the approached. One sighed & looked to her, “You made a mess Luv.”

“Yea, that’s why I called you.” She responded sharply to the woman.

She walked to the black sedan & slid in the passenger seat, engaging her seatbelt, looking over as he slid in the car next to her.

“Just get me home.” She growled.

He didn’t respond, simply turning the key & engaged the car into drive. The drive home was quiet, & tense, she could tell he had something to say. Upon getting her home, he followed her in to complete the transaction as usual as her handler. Upon turning on the lights he gasped as he looked her over.

“Shit Luv, you’re bleeding & bruised.”

“No big deal, the fucker just bit me.”

“Bit you?!” He grimaced. “Sit down, let me look.”

“I’m fine, I just need a shower.”

“Sit Luv, that’s an order.”

She glared at him but obeyed. He knelt down, spreading her legs just enough to look at the closest bite.

He winced & inhaled sharply through his teeth, “Luv, these need a good cleaning & stiches, he took a chunk outta you the sick fuck!”

“Fine, do it.”

He walked to her bathroom, knowing exactly where she kept her medical supplies. He knew she would reject a numbing solution, so, he went straight to cleaning & stitching her up. It was only a few stitches each bite. She definitely would need a few days before her next job to recover. He thought as he stitched the last bite.

“I’m putting you on leave for a week. That was messy Luv, too messy. I mean hell look at you. That boy toy needs to get out of your system. Use this week to sever shit with him & get your head back in the game. I don’t want to see you end up like Lyza.”

She winced hearing the name. She had trained with Lyza & he had also been her handler as well. A job had gone wrong, very wrong. She completed her assignment, but only had enough left in her to make the call that it was done to him. She was dead before the team even got there, not even 10 minutes later.

“Fine. I need time for schoolwork anyway. Thanks for the vacation I don’t need.” She growled.

He grunted, then took his leave.

She had slept well that night & had to act normal in college classes all day despite the throbbing stiches under her leggings. She was going to go back to the tavern to confront Stetzon tonight. She wanted to know his end game.

Later that night, she wore dirty lower-class clothing like the ones the factory workers wore & walked into the tavern. She took a seat at the end of the bar, closest to the door. If anyone was paying attention, she had a slight limp. The pain had gotten worse. She had also had to apply makeup to try to hide the fact the bastard had bruised her throat, but faint hints of it could be seen despite the makeup. For all they knew, her boyfriend or husband beat the shit out of her. That would be her cover story if anyone asked. She paid no mind to the others today, not particularly giving a damn whether they wanted her there or not. She hadn’t brought anything special with her. No purse. No sketchbook. Nothing. Just herself tonight. She would speak with Stetzon, hopefully at some point in private. She hoped that it was close to the end of his shift. She was still tired from the ordeal last night. She hadn’t gotten home until 3am & by the time she was doctored up, showered & dressed for bed it was 4:45am. She didn’t get much sleep & it could be seen in her face that she was definitely sleep deprived.

Back