Stetzon stumbled forward a few more steps and grabbed hold of a garbage can for balance before he tumbled over and pulled it onto himself. "Muah..." Grunting he shoved the garbage can aside. "I just need to get home. Gotta get back to work or I'll lose my job." It was dark outside and he wasn't sure how long he'd been on the bench, but it was best to get back to the bar before long.

Taking a long look at the girl he wiped at his pant legs with his good arm and winced again before he staggered toward the bench again. "How long this guy gonna take? I don't have a long time before my next shift." When she pulled out a phone his eyes widened slightly. She had money for sure if she could afford a phone. Much less make calls with her phone. She had to have something. "Hey, what are you doing? Who are you calling?" Stetzon was sure she'd told him, but he couldn't remember and he started to feel dizzy. Laying back down on the bench he let out a groan. Momentarily his shoulder stung with a new fervor, but he didn't have the energy to move. "See you in the morning." The light in the park began to flicker and things got dimmer by the moment. Stetzon groped blindly at the back of the bench and slowly began to lose all sense of his surroundings.

She saw him stagger about and was about to explain her phone call when she saw him stagger back to the bench.

Pulling the phone to her ear she waited for the call to pick up. "Date night?" She said and paused for a response. "Yea, the park is great, I'm here already. You know a picnic at night sounds romantic. See you in 15, 10 and I'll make your night better."

The call clicked off on the other end. She stepped forward, set her bag down and kneeled down. She could tell he was sweaty despite the cold, not a good sign for his sake. Hope he gets here sooner than later for this poor fool's sake. Why I give a damn about you after what happened tonight. Should let you just die here. It's not my concern, but there is something about you. Damn it, how I don't now my fixing cover before this augment is done.

She sat down with her back to the bench seat, leaving him the bench itself. She didn't want to rush moving him and possibly provoking full blown shock. Warren would be able to evaluate how she it was to move him. Odds were that Warren would insist on just doing the job here and I keep others at bay as he worked. She pulled out her sketchbook and drew by phone light.

8 minutes later, she heard a familiar gate. Without looking up, she said in a cold tone, "You love making a girl's night don't you Warren?"

The man addressed as Warren was a built 6'3 tan skinned man, with pale green eyes and green and blue shoulder length hair worn in a goth style, wearing black t-shirt, black boot cut wranglers, & carrying a wicker picnic basket. "Damn Luv, when you say you'll make my night you're not kidding. Guess he shouldn't have grabbed my girl's ass should he have." He smirked with good dental quality that was well paid for.

She stood and put away the sketch in her bag. "I didn't do this. Not this time. "

"Then why care Luv? You slipping on me hunny?"

She glared at him, "Get it done Warren."

"Giving up your one "get out of fucked card" for him huh?" He paused momentarily staring at her. "He must mean something for you to do this. This isn't like you Luv."

"I said shut up and get it done Warren. We can bullshit afterwards."

Warren nodded and knelt down. "Someone was really pissed at you to hit you here dude." He muttered as he began propping up Stetzon in a way that he could easily work. He pulled out a syringe and injected a mold sedative that would keep him under for at least 2hrs. There was a chance that Stetzon may hear and recall sounds around him when he woke, but he wouldn't wake for 1.5-2hrs at least depending on his metabolism. 30 minutes later, Warren finished the last stitch. At the sound of the picnic basket being closed she turned and looked at the work done.

"Good, now help me." She said to Warren.

"Luv." He grabbed hold of her around her waist pulling her to him away from Stetzon.

Before he could react she had a 45 planted firmly under his chin as he tried to lean forward and kiss her. "You promised you'd make my night if I got here in 10, I made it in 8 Luv." He stared into her hazel eyes that were cold as ice. "I ever tell you how hot you are when you're being a badass."

"Plenty. I said help me." She growled adding pressure with the 45 under his chin, point back the hammer of the gun.

"You don't pay up, I shoot the bastard between the eyes Luv." Warren threatened returning the same icy stare.

"Later."

"No...now Luv" He squeezed tighter around her waist.

She leaned forward and locked lips with him. "Payment given, now help me get him where he needs to be and out of my hair."

"That's gonna cost extra Luv." He replied, releasing her.

"Fuck. Fine." She growled.

She moved towards Stetzon to start pulling him up so they could take him n drop him off at the bar. "Your car? Mine is still in impound."

"Liar. You don't own one. You know I could always pamper you Luv. You just have to agree to my terms. I'd love to spoil you. You wouldn't have to do this or starve you know that."

"Shut up Warren. We getting him in a place no one will fuck with him or not?! I'm not an arm ornament and you know it!" Her tone was sharp as she reholstered her 45 in the hidden bag pouch or her satchel.

"For you Luv. Anything." Warren grinned & moved to start helping her get Stetzon to his feet.

Last edited:
"Liar. You don't own one. You know I could always pamper you Luv. You just have to agree to my terms. I'd love to spoil you. You wouldn't have to do this or starve you know that."

"Shut up Warren. We getting him in a place no one will fuck with him or not?! I'm not an arm ornament and you know it!"
The voice was from the girl this time and she sounded mad. Stetzon tried to rouse himself, but no matter how hard he tried he was still exhausted and he couldn't seem to sit up. A strong set of hands wrapped around him and Stetzon felt himself being lifted.

An involuntary groan sounded and he struggled to open his eyes. When Stetzon saw where he was at last he looked anxiously out the side window. The side streets looked somewhat familiar, but he didn't want them driving him too far. "What time is it?" Hearing the hour he pushed on the door handle and then pulled it. "I gotta get out."

He had another run to do for his second job and if he didn't get to the drop fast enough he'd never make it. Being late to pick something up for transport was one thing, but missing the drop was worse. Even though they were moving Stetzon unbuckled himself and got ready to jump out of the car. If he was gonna jump he would have to be able to roll out of the way of the oncoming traffic. "Thanks for the help. Gotta go." Launching himself out of the car he lost his footing and rolled a few feet before he got up with a wince on his face and dodged out of the way of the vehicle coming toward him.

2 minutes was all he could spare. If he wasn't there within 2 minutes of his pick up at the drop he would lose his job. This one would pay more money if he could get a more consistent route.

Warren responded calmly with the time. "Chill dude, we are taking you back to the bar you work at. You can th..." before he could finish he heard the door in the back open n heard Stetzon say he had to get out.

She turned around in time to see Stetzon jump out the car. "You insane?!" She cried out in alarm. "Stop the car!"

The car screeched to a halt as she undid the seat belt. She stepped out the car and began to take off after Stetzon, until her arm was seized from behind her. "You did your part. Let the idiot go!" Warren scolded her.

A loud smack cracked through the air as she full strength back handed Warren across the face. "DON'T PRESUME TO ORDER ME AROUND WARREN!" She snarled, her temper reaching a peak.

"Hit me all you want, he is fine. Look, the idiot is up and running fine!" Warren said pointing at Stetzon. "I'm taking you home Luv. You have college in the morning and you're filthy."

She turned on him, stepped up to him inches from his face. "Remember who you have your hands on Warren." Her eyes filled with seething rage, but her tone was icy with a note of warning.

Warren released her arm. She walked back towards his car. "Take me home then." She called over he shoulder without looking a him before slamming the car door as she got in.

"Easy on the doors." Warren muttered as he slid in the parked car and started driving her home.

Neither of them spoke, despite Warren glancing to her apologetically a few times. She did not returned his gaze or acknowledge him.

Upon arriving at her dorm, she got out without a word, slamming the door behind her cutting Warren off as he tried to say he'd call her later to check on her.

Fuck, I hope I didn't blow my cover because of you tonight Stetzon. Please, say you're just some dumb bar keep that can't put 2 n 2 together. I do need a shower, then bed. I'm exhausted. At least my assigment is ready to be turned in.

She showered, then posed out practically a son as she hit the pillows. She didn't even care that she was hungry. She'd eat when she woke up for college in a few hrs.

Last edited:
As far as Stetzon knew he didn't say anything about working at the bar to the man. They were into no good if they could tell him things like that. Stetzon ran down a few alley ways before he leaned against a wall gasping for air. His shoulder was hurting so bad he was seeing spots. When the throbbing let up he walked a few more blocks before he got to his spot.

The man at the spot was someone he'd never seen before. Not even someone he knew from around town. He was standing around near the bench and Stetzon held back. Something wasn't quite right. A few minutes later someone he'd done a drop with before stepped in and started the exchange when they were suddenly hit over the head with a club. The package and note clattered to the ground. Instantly Stetzon's eyes fell to the ground with the object. He needed to retrieve it.

Darting from the alley way he slammed into the man that attacked his dropper. Even though he hit the man with his good shoulder it was still jarring. Snatching the package off the ground and slipping back into the alley before the man could chase after him, Stetzon quickly selected a set of stairs he could climb to the roof of a building. By the time he reached the top he was already feeling sick, but he'd made it. The move had been risky. He just had to make the drop to the other side of town before dawn and somehow get to his own little apartment and get a little sleep before he had to go to work.

Jumping to the next roof and then one more over he figured he'd lost the guy that had originally attacked his dropper. It was too bad they got hit over the head. Probably cracked their skull, but that was a risk you took working for the Jury. That was what this group called themselves and he wasn't about to try crossing them.

The main Jury headquarters met in the basement of an old prison. When Stetzon reached the prison he dropped the box through the hatch and listened to it hit the floor and then waited for the cash to be pushed up in exchange. "We heard somebody attacked our dropper and the package was stolen. Give me the number." Instead of the cash a gun pointed through the drop and Stetzon quickly answered, "21".

Slowly the gun drew back into the hatch and money was pushed out. "Good job 21. Someone will be in contact with you shortly."

Taking the money Stetzon started to slowly weave his way through the streets back toward his part of town. It was still a rough part of town where he was, but not quite like the area was currently living in. Even if he hated to spend his money on the transit he was going to have to do it to get at least close to the bar. Stetzon couldn't make it on foot. He already felt like any adrenaline rush he had was wearing off.

When he reached the transit spot Stetzon leaned against the counter and purchased a transit ticket to his part of town and then walked over to the edge of the transit tunnel and held onto the post until his transit arrived. As soon as the transit stopped he stumbled in and took a seat. It wasn't until he saw the droplets of red on the floor that he realized his arm was bleeding again and there was a stream of red running down his middle and ring finger on the right hand. Quickly shoving the hand in a pocket he did what he could to hide as much as he could. His shirt and jacket were clearly a mess, but they were a dark color and made it easier to disguise the blood. Leaning his head against the transit window he dozed off.

Her phone sang out her call tone. She frowned in annoyance as she slid the button to answer the phone without looking who was calling.

"Hello." She groaned.

"Hey, Luv." Warren's voice cheerily chimed over the line.

"Warren, this better be good. I was sleeping." She growled through gritted teeth.

"You have a delivery. " He said cooly.

The phone went silent. She got up & wrapped her robe around her & cracked the door enough to pull in the 3x4 box. She opened it, then the envelope in it. A small envelope fell on the bed as she pulled out a note.

Thank you for the kitten. She was so precious.

Zero

She held her breathe as she opened the small envelope. She pulled out the money. 2k in assorted bills out of the envelope. She opened her phone & dialed a number listed as "Bo".

"I have it." She said into the phone.

"Good. Tonight. The park. 8p. Don't be late again Luv." A masculine, emotionless voice responded.

The phone clicked off. She fell back against the wall, slid down & began to cry. Her phone sounded her college wake up alarm, startling her. She silenced it, then dressed, did her hair & makeup. She had to look the part. She grabbed her bag. Hid the envelope in another inside hidden pocket of the bag. Then locked the door behind her on her way out. And headed to campus on foot.

"Hey you! No free rides. Your stop is here." A man nudged Stetzon and he woke reluctantly. It had been a hard night and the ride didn't seem long enough. However, what little money he spent to get to his side of town faster was worth it. Rubbing his eyes with his left hand he nodded and shuffled his way off the transit and then stumbled home from there. The steps were still icy and he opted to walk up the side of the hill instead.

When he finally got into his apartment Stetzon went into the bathroom to peel his clothing off. The shoulder didn't look good at all. Stitches were gaping and the wound was still bleeding. His fingers seemed to large when he tried to grab the stitches to pull them tighter, but he managed to get some of it tighter. No sooner did he get the stitches tightened and he tried to shower than they opened up again. Instead of trying to keep the stitches shut he decided packing the wound might fix the problem a bit better. It was closer to his budget anyway.

Dousing a clean rag in water and then sprinkling salt on it he shoved the rag into the wound. A few hours later he woke on the kitchen floor. Shoving the rag into the wound hadn't gone as well as he'd hoped. Sitting up and bracing his back against the cupboards he pushed the rag in the rest of the way before passing out again.

By mid afternoon Stetzon decided it was time to get ready for work. He figured he would likely need the extra time. The first pull over shirt he tried was too hard to get on with a lame shoulder and he decided a loose baggy sweater would do it. The old orange sweater had a few holes in it, but that was the best he had to keep warm and help disguise the shoulder injury. Slipping a jacket on over it would help. Once he was dressed Stetzon ate a few pieces of bread and a chunk of cheese for his breakfast.

Before he left for work he made sure his money was carefully stashed away with the rest of it. Soon he'd have enough to get a transit out of this town and enough money to get a fresh start. It all took money to cover up and start over, but he was doing his best to save for it.

The walk to the bar was long and Stetzon had to stop a few times to rest. His shoulder ached more than he liked to admit, but the boss at the bar couldn't know. Right now the drop money wasn't good enough. They obviously had a run to get in on the drop jobs because he wasn't getting a lot of them. The Jury liked to get as many droppers as possible and they liked to make sure all their droppers were desperate.

All Stetzon needed was for his night at the bar to go fast, go well and have no surprises. If he could get through tonight he could probably make it tomorrow night and the night after.

She got to campus without issue, bought a hot tea from the campus stand & asked to her Art History class. The teacher was going over the Realism era.

Next thing she knew, she felt herself being gently shaken. She seized the person's arm in an instant, disengaging the arm from her back, standing in a readied stance a few ft away, her stool clattering to the ground.

"Ms. Myrena, is the suffering your life to share with the class from your dream?!" Professor Aremore called from the front of the class.

"Sorry professor, was up late writing on assignments." She responded quietly as she took her seat, the person sitting next to her staring at her in surprise with the rest of the class.

"Maybe to keep you awake, can you read aloud pg 317 in the section speaking about Mr. Degas' works? Hmm?"

"Yes sir."

The rest of classes that day drug by & if she wasn't almost dozing off, she found her mind not present. She kept worrying whether the man from the bar was ok. She new the jump from the vehicle would've reopened the stitches. She hoped he had some sense to staunch the bleeding somehow.

She turned in her drawing of Stetzon in Life Drawing & received high praise for her work. Only criticism was the harsh lighting causing rough shadows & that she was heavy handed, burnishing the darker shadows too heavily, too quickly. 140 out of 160 points was a great grade, but she felt that part of the grade was also her choice in subject as there was booze in the picture. Hardly acceptable for subject matter for an assignment her professor had lectured.

She walked home, ate, then worked on homework. She must have dose off cuz she heard her phone going off.

"Date night?" Warren's voice called over the phone.

"Huh?" She groaned.

"Date night at the park tonight Luv."

"DAMN IT, WHAT TIME IS IT?!"

A knock sounded on her door. She walked to it, opened it to see Warren. He walked in without the invitation, closing the door behind him as she stepped aside.

"You should be thankful I had a hunch that you'd be passed out. You're slipping Luv?"

"It's college. Homework load is getting heavier. "

"Or is it something else Luv?"

"What? N...no! I don't have time for this. " Luv objected indignantly.

"I'll wait in the car as you get dressed. "

"Thanks."

"Stop gawking, get dressed, we gotta be gone in 5 minutes."

She was dressed & in the car in 3 min flat. She wore all black tonight, casual slacks & long sleeve shirt with long hooded business trench coat. Her hair tied back in a ponytail, no makeup. Warren looked her over before stepping on the gas, heading for the spot from last night where she had seen Stetzon.

Upon arrival, the 2 parked & walked the rest of the way. Arriving 10 minutes early, she had Warren do a quick perimeter check.

2 minutes after Warren returned, a deep masculine voice called from behind them, "Your dog can go for a walk while we discuss business. "

Warren & her turned around to see a buff, 5'9 Japanese man with toned muscles under tight fitting black clothing & trench coat. Other than the man's brown eyes burrowing into them, his face portrayed no other emotion. She nodded to Warren, who snorted derisively at the condescension before walking away.

"Good dog. You have him well trained Luv." The man said coldly.

"Enough pleasantries." She reached in her satchel & threw the small envelope at the man's feet.

"No manners. Unlike you."

"I'm tired from college. Just want this over with. I have deadlines."

"Ah, yes. More than a few deadlines from my understanding. Including a crow telling me you let your target slip away last night & almost blew it." The man chided, tisking after his statement.

"Won't happen again. You can be sure of that."

"The clients requested a change. Tomorrow & quietly with discretion deserving their stature."

"Wha..."

"The client." The man cut her off sharply.

"Understood."

"They appreciate your time Luv. They have offered double if done tonight."

"Why the rush?"

"You know as well as I do that the clients don't discuss motivation."

She cursed quietly under her breath. "I'll see what I can do."

With that, the man bent down grabbing the envelope & walked away.

"Warren."

"Yes Luv?"

"I'll offer 1 date night in exchange for your help. I need a ride later tonight. For now, I need to clear my head. " She instructed, putting her headphones on & starting a playlist, before turning & walking away from Warren.

He nodded at her before she turned away, returning to his car & left.

Work at the bar seemed to last so much longer than usual. Stetzon poured the alcohols a bit more slowly and he got a little wobbly a few times. Every now and then his vision would get a bit blurry like he was about to black out, but if he took his time and leaned against the counter he was ok. He couldn't afford to have too many nights like this. If the boss came in or he had another drop he would have to be able to keep up with the work. Perhaps he could sleep in the janitor closet after his shift. Nobody usually looked in there and the janitor had let him stay in there before.

Stetzon finished pouring a drink for a regular customer and he set the bottle back on the shelf and grabbed a glass from the counter that needed to be washed. He didn't move his injured arm much. The customer leaned in a bit and hissed at him, "What you do? Looks like that arm isn't doing so well." Cautiously, Stetzon looked at the man and he sighed. "Just had to break up a little fight in the bar the other night. That's all. Not much broken or damaged. At least I don't have to pay for that." If had to pay for damages to the bar it would be way more than he planned to spend.

The man leaned forward again. "I know somebody that could get you some stuff if you needed."

If there was anyone that could get him what he needed Stetzon knew it was this customer. "Yeah, what about some antibiotics and a few pills to kill the pain? Whatcha suppose that'll run me?"

"Hmmm..." Pondering the request for a long minute the man finally answered. "I'll see what I can do for you. I might be willing to trade it if you take a little something for me to this address." Sliding an address across the counter he grinned and then pulled a small wrapped packaged from his jacket. "Just sometime after your shift tonight. I'll bring your stuff tomorrow."

It was an option that saved money and Stetzon was willing to do that. Whatever was in the package he didn't care. All he needed was medicine and this was a good way to get it. Sliding the package to the edge of the counter and then grabbing it Stetzon shoved it into his pocket just in time to see another customer walking through the doors. It was just going to get busier and more interesting as the night went.

She had walked about for what seemed like an eternity without really paying attention to where she was going. She realized she was in the district close to that bar.

What the hell am I doing here? I look like I'm walking trouble. Well, my target is in the district. Maybe this is where my mind knew I needed to be. I have no idea who you pissed off or why buddy, but your destruction isn't going to be fun for you. What am I saying? You won't be alive long enough to really care.

Her thoughts stopped racing as she spotted her target. Habits are always your downfall ruined souls! She thought as she began to pursue the man. He would turn left ahead, then go three blocks before turning down a back alley to a private brothel. She had planned his humiliation already. He would be found in front of it, with all the evidence of his failures on his body. That was the clients request.

She slid on her gloves and kept her distance as not to spook him this time. She was his taste in women, it would be easy, especially since he had already had a few drinks in him.

As she had seen before, he made his move. Once they were both down the alley, she staggered and gave a girly drunken gasp of frustration. "Oh darn it, I really can't walk much tonight."

The man turned, observing her. "Here let me help you up." The man offered, his hand as he seemed to look at her like a predator does its prey.

"Oh, why thank you. Too much to drink after my shift " she feigned exhaustion within exaggerated yawn towards the end.

She took his hand and she let him pull her to her feet, to which she acted the part of a drunk falling into him.

"Easy now." He said softly as his hands grabbed her rear for an attempt to 'stabilize' her.

"Sir, please unhand me. I have a child at home waiting for me."

"Surely, they can spare you ten more minute. I can pay you for your time even."

"Please release me." She whimpered, feigning trying to get away but being a weak drunk damsel.

He shoved her back hard against the wall kissing heatedly down her neck, trying to start disrobing her. Her eyes went deadly cold as a long knife slide from a sheath in her sleeve & slid up between his ribs into the side of his heart. He staggered back as she withdrew the knife. He stared in horror.

"Why?" He groaned falling to the ground, laboring his breathing.

She tossed the envelope to him. "You pissed someone off. And they want you to be dishonored. So here, a married man with kids is found with evidence of his debauchery."

She wiped the blood off her blade and gloves on his clothing. She sheathed the blade in her sleeve, walking heartlessly away as he lay bleeding out less than 100ft from the brothel he attended nightly instead of going home to his pregnant wife & 2 kids. The job was done. As she exited the alley she saw Warren.

"Still need a ride?"

"A change of clothes & my things brought home would be preferred actually."

"Had a feeling that'd be the case. Hop in the back, in the bag. I'll stand guard."

"No, we need to leave before we are seen & linked to what is going on. I'll change as you drive to the bar a few blocks away. I need a drink."

"As you wish"

He got in the car & began driving. She quickly changed in the back seats into lower quality clothes more fitting of the area. The car came to a halt a few moments before she finished removing the makeup and added a bit of dirt to add to the identity change. She grabbed the ragged wallet with fake factory ID & license.

"I don't want company. Date is tomorrow night, 6p. Don't be late. Even 1minutes late n date is canceled. No excuses."

Warren nodded before responding, "Will there be any requests else my lady?"

"Yea, stop with the formal shit n get lost."

He grinned at her. "You have to get out my car first, lest I get charged with kidnapping you."

She smirked, "You'd be dead already if I felt threatened Warren." She said a moment before she stepped out the car.

She watches a moment as he left, before walking into the bar. She held her head low, & walked as if she was weery from a long work day. She raised a hand as she took a seat at the bar for Stetzon to come over for a drink.

"Rum." She said in an altered voice from her voice yesterday. If Stetzon listened closely, he could tell it was her using a strange accent n tone of voice.

To Stetzon the night felt like it would last forever. He'd been serving for hours and the boss had come in and since there weren't any complaints he had his job for tonight. There was no telling what tomorrow would bring, but he had what he needed to make it through today. At one point he went into the bathroom and took a few minutes to be sick and then he dug into his wallet to see if he had enough change to get a few of the pills from the black market. After work would be a good time to get some of that stuff. Getting an antibiotic would be the most important.

After he had a sip of water from the sink Stetzon returned to the bar and he saw a lady come over to the counter and ask for rum. Her voice sounded a bit strained. Almost like she was trying to hide. He'd heard enough people try to change their voices that it was a bit easier to pick them out. Looking at her more carefully he sighed and pushed a rum toward her. "Better have a factory id." He didn't want to say anything about her going to school. She obviously wanted to hide and he didn't care what she was hiding from. It clearly wasn't the guys that attacked her yesterday.

She must have taken care of them and he wasn't worried about how she did it. The only thing that mattered was if she had a factory id and money to pay for the drinks. "What brought you back here?" Stetzon's gold eyes rested on her after she took the first drink. "Can't be the drinks. Probably some of the cheapest alcohol in the town and I can't even guarantee the drinks are what they're labeled."

She slid a factory ID across the bar to him. "Just a place to relax. And check up on someone I saw hurt is all."

She took another sip of the rum without even flinching.

Stetzon glanced at the id and smirked. "Huh, imagine that. Someone in this part of the city cares about somebody else. Sounds a little fancy for this part of the city. You should work on that. Still not blending too well. Nobody around here cares if someone gets hurt. They just hope it means the job comes open and they can get better pay."

She smirked, dropping the accent, she spoke loud enough only that the two could hear, "I will indeed have to work on that. Like I said. I'm socially awkward."

She finished out crumpled money and handed it to him with a letter sized envelope. Inside whenever he opened it, he would find the drawing, with a letter of appreciation n her teacher's feedback.

"Do you have any bread? I crave some bread to snack on." She said a lil louder with the returned accent so it wouldn't draw attention if she was speaking quietly every time.

Stetzon took the crumpled money and the envelope with the note. Cautiously he opened the envelop and left the money on the counter for now. He wanted to know what was inside. For all he knew it could be instructions from a boss or maybe it was a note stating his time was up. It was thankfully neither of those things and instead a thank you note. "You really don't get it, do you? People don't do that stuff around here." Still a slight grin pulled at his lips.

Taking the money Stetzon pulled out the drawer and slid it inside before he called back to the kitchen for bread and a little stew. "You look like you need more than bread."

She shrugged at his statement about ppl around here not doing that stuff. Then looked a bit sheepish as he commented about needing more than just bread. She fished out the money for that and slid it over the counter to him. She looked at her purse, and realized she's didn't have much money left until her next job paid up. She hopes the client would be satisfied with the results she gave tonight and that he wouldn't delay in paying up. She knew too often that the client could n would try to weasel out of agreed or offered payments at times. She had not been eating well lately in fact, she didn't realize that until Stetzon pointed it out.

"Yea, money is tight. But I don't have to say that. I'm sure it's the same for everyone here." She said, sounding a bit embarrassed and as she heard her voice, she realized her cheeks were a bit hot with the embarrassment.

What was it with being around this dude that made her break decorum so easily? She was too relaxed around him. Relaxed meant dangerous. She would have to be careful. For all she knew, he could be a trained rival. She would put him in a request for observation to be sure.

As her cheeks flamed Stetzon shrugged. "Yeah, same for everyone here. Except you're the only one embarrassed by it." She still didn't fit in. Even if she tried she was easy to spot. Someone he figured who had a reason to be here. If she was here it meant she was looking for someone and he didn't want in on her business, but he didn't want to get noticed for the wrong reasons either.

"Well, every now and then the cook thought they made more than they did. One bowl isn't hard to hide." Sliding her money back to her Stetzon gave her a wink with his golden eyes and then slid the bowl across the counter toward her with his one good arm. "Better say anything. Can't have anyone thinking I play favorites around here."

Moving over to another spot at the bar he saw a man sit down and stare at the woman. "Yah want the usual?" Stetzon mumbled and the man nodded. Stetzon pulled a bottle out from underneath the counter. "You know it cost extra." Stetzon waited for the man to slide the money across the counter before he poured the glass.

The two men stared at each other for a few moments and then Stetzon turned back to his work. Walking past the girl he saw she was busily eating her soup, but she stared at him quite a bit. "Got a problem with my kind?" He figured she might. There were plenty that did. It was also another way to gauge why she might be here. She was starting to look more suspicious as she kept showing up and Stetzon hated to think she might be after him. Especially now that he was compromised.

"I'll have to work on that." She said modestly in soft voice.

She looked to him suspiciously as he slid her the bowl and the money back. "Um... Thanks...I suppose I owe you one?" She responded, taking three bowl and her money back, tucking the money between her hand and the money easily to hide the transaction.

She noticed the guy staying at her. She could see it from the corner of her eye. She didn't look at him directly, just kept her attention on the soup and ate it quietly. Occasionally watching Stetzon.

Upon his direct words, she cast her eyes down, a bit shocked by his aggression. "No, just not used to places like this is all. And I'm trying to figure out why someone with muscle like you would work here instead is all." She paused. "Look, I want no trouble just a meal, a place to chill a minute & that's it. I'm sorry if I've given you the wrong impression."

She sighed, then stood up after finishing her soup. She gave a dismissive wave to Stetzon over here shoulder to gesture she wasn't really interested in further discussion or aggravations from him. She started walking for the door to leave, hoping not to draw further attention, one man was already eyeing her other than Stetzon. What did he know about her? Was he suspicious of her? Did the man follow her from her last assignment? She didn't like the idea of any of the options. She knew Stetzon wouldn't get involved would he try to confront her. So, she would rather just lose the possible tail.

Stetzon watched as the girl seemed to move on with her soup quickly. She got the idea, but at the same time she still didn't respond like a local would have. Somehow it was impossible to tell if she'd ever make it in this setting. Perhaps she had an assignment here. If he didn't have to do something about her someone else would.

When she got up to walk out the door a man at one of the nearby tables eyed her and then got up to follow her. Another man glanced at Stetzon and when Stetzon nodded he too followed the girl and the other man out the door. One of the men followed the girl only a short distance and the second paused behind a building to see what would happen. It would earn him a few coins and a few free meals with the barkeep if he could tell him what was going on with this girl. Having the benefit of someone else watching her for their own reasons was paying off too. It was a bit risky though. It only paid if the girl and the man were both unaware of him.

The man that followed the girl first yelled. "Hey, wait up there miss." A sly grin crossed his face. "You been talking to the barkeep plenty. Seems your the chatty sort. Nobody takes interest in his kind. I'll double whatever they're paying you. I don't know what you're supposed to do with him, but I've got my own plans. It'll be time well spent on your end. What do you say?"

She sighed inwardly as she realized she was being followed by more than just the man calling out to her. Her skill set was honed to catch a discrete tail & deal with it. Then again, for all she knew, they could be rival organizations. If they were rivals, they were sloppy, but that could just be a ploy to make her let her guard down. Stetzon, sending them after me wasn’t wise. These poor men do not realize what they were sent after. Then again Stetzon, nor do you. You ended up on Death's good side, for now. She thought inwardly with pity for these unknowing men.

Without flinching, breaking her stride, or turning to look at the man, she responded, “Sir, in all politeness, I decline your invitation. Stetzon is simply a curiosity to me, nothing more, nothing less.”

After a brief pause after her statement, she stopped & turned, a mischievous glint in her eyes. “You on the other hand are easy to figure out. Factory worker, poor, probably a generational factory worker that probably started working young to help the old man try to meet ends, if the old man was even in the picture still. Alcoholic, probably like your father, & no doubt by your brutishness the alcohol made him vicious. Most likely as you can be under the bottle. If you’ve a lady at all, she & any children will likely repeat the footsteps of their parents if they do not die of illness beforehand because healthcare is hard to come by for a factory worker’s payroll. Lastly, because these living conditions, you’ll obey & roll over for almost anyone willing to throw you a few coins or free meals. Do I have you correctly pegged sir?” After the briefest pause to let it sink in, she politely added, “Have a pleasant evening sir.”

Upon her last words she seemed to soften, a face almost as if she wished it were different for the man. She knew this would trigger one of a few outcomes: he’d try to strike her physically or verbally, go away, try to redeem his pride somehow, or he’d try to take what he had offered by force. Either course of action didn’t matter, the outcome would be the same, she would be leaving without them tailing her.

No, she wasn’t from this side of the world, but the only person in the world who understood her had been. The presumptions she made, were based on what they had told her. Her friend had entered the business to escape the family curse just like she was, which they had, at the cost of their life. This business wasn’t for everyone. Men & women, like the man before her who thought they were hard, would falter at the point of no return & die because of it. The risk rewards of the business were critically imbalanced. If you were not willing to gamble on your very life every moment of your life without a breath, you would die. Because that was the cold hard truth of this business, once you were in & completed your first official assignment, your life was always at risk at any point in the day. If you ever felt safe, you better do your darndest to disappear from all radars of life, because otherwise, you were dead.

Back