The Cursed Pandemic

Ame put a tender hand on his back. "Ten days...and I'm sure they're working something out." She says softly. "The second round isn't as bad. They'll have improved their technique. You're more valuable alive than dead." Ame says knowingly. "But...we'll probably be rescued before then."

The physical contact felt nice against his skin. He didn't even mind in that instant that 9 days of his life had disappeared in a flash, he was just glad his brain didn't let him feel the pain all 10 of those days. "God I hope so... how did you survive this? I'm begging for death already and its only day 10. You're the strongest fucking woman I've ever met."

"God I hope so... how did you survive this? I'm begging for death already and its only day 10. You're the strongest fucking woman I've ever met." "Yeah, well...when the experiments begin at the age of five, you grow a pretty tough backbone and you learn to shield your mind and harden your heart. You're lucky...you still have people who care about you trying to rescue you."
He squeezes her hand. "You do too now."
"Yeah, well. A little late for me...I've already been through hell." She looks over her shoulder as a guard approaches. "I gotta go. Rest up. I'll check on you later." She stands.
He grabs her hand. "Don't go.... please. I don't want to be alone right now."
She slowly sits back down. "Ok...I'll stay."
His body begins to sieze in pain from the effort. "Fuck... I don't want to die, Ame."
Ame tightens her grip on his hand. “You won’t...I promise. I’ll get us out.” She holds his hand until he passes out again. An empty promise...but if it kept him from giving up...it was worth it.
Three days later

It was a dark night, fog blocked out the light of the moon and made visibility near zero. Bright search lights attempt to pierce the fog, not knowing that it was not made by natural means. One by one guards are taken out, silently and efficiently. 50 para's strong flood the compound in silence. They break open each door, free each and every captive. A light shines on the cage holding Locke. "I found him!" Someone yells. "I found the boy in the video."
"Is Ame there too!?" Another asks excitedly.
"No...not that I see. Help me get this open."
Shannon storms up. "Move." She says. She grabs the edges of the cell and pulls. The entire thing breaks off its hinges and she lifts Locke up with a smile. "Good Job, Torch."

What Shannon held in her hands was a barely conscious Locke. The torture had restarted the day before, and after that break they'd given him, he'd felt every ounce of pain. The only words he could say were, "Ame went to find a way out, hasn't come back. Save her, please." Before he passed out in Shannon's arms.

Texas was standing behind Flint who was sitting next to Locke, finishing up what healing he could manage. "Thanks, Flint. You must be tired. Go ahead and rest. I'll look out for him." Texas switched places with Flint just as Locke began to stir. He checked the young man's I.V. "Hey, there Torchy. Welcome back."
He passes a bottle of water with a straw to him. "You've been out for about two days. Flint's got you pretty well on the mend though."

It took him a minute to register where he was. He felt barely any strength in his muscles as he weakly raised a hand and clutched it onto Texas' wrist. There was only one thing he needed to know. "Ame... did you save Amelia?!"

Texas patted the boy's arm. "We're looking for her. I'm sure she's alright. It's possible she escaped and was on her way to retrieve us. We're searching the route now. So, just you rest and get your strength back. That's what she would want." Texas stood and exited. Claire met him at the door, having heard what he'd said. "You didn't tell him?"
"Better that he have hope. It'll help him heal faster." Texas says with a soft sigh.

The days came and went, every morning he could feel a bit more movement enter his body before he would spasm in pain. He didn't dare try using his powers while he was bed ridden, fearing what might happen, not only to himself but to the entire hospital he was holed up in. He felt restless, he felt useless. Ame was out there somewhere, probably cold and alone and he was just sitting here unable to even sit up. Flint, Claire, Tex, even Shannon every now and again would rotate watching over him. He appreciated it, but really needed to get back on his feet.

The second month was when he was finally able to get out of bed. Starting to walk, with the support of the others of course. He wasn't sure what those scientists did to him, his memory completely wiping out any recollection, but whatever it was, it left him close to paralyzed. By month three his body had reached a point where natural recovery started mixing with Flint's ability, he was running, climbing, jumping, and even swimming.

He asked for updates about Ame at least once every 3 days, and always got evasive answers. He was starting to get really frustrated, anxiety plaguing his heart every day. Month four was when he finally found the courage to try his powers once again. They'd found his gloves hidden in a storage compartment of the camp. As he practiced, he found that his powers not only worked as well as before, but had grown stronger. His flamethrower burned hotter, his fireballs exploded in a larger radius and he was even able to implement that flying technique he'd ran by Ame all those weeks ago.

It was after he'd finally perfected that technique that he asked about being part of the search party for her. After another round of evasive and vague answers, his frustration boiled over. Slamming his fist down on the table he screamed. "Enough! I'm going to save her, whether its with your approval or without it. So if you aren't telling me everything about what happened to her, you better spill it now!!!"

Texas looked up at him. The leader was looking worn and tired. 14 more people had joined their small camping ground in the last several months. None of them Amelia. They were bursting at the seams. So much so they'd built two more small houses to accommodate the excess people. Unfortunately, resources were tight. Soon, they'd have to move or turn people away.
"We think she's dead...Locke. After we rescued everyone, we blew up the camp. What we didn't know was that there were mines beneath the compound and Para still inside. The...original explosion set off a chain reaction. No one within a quarter mile of the compound survived. And since...Amelia hasn't turned up...we assume she was part of the group that was caught in the explosion. I'm sorry, Locke."

At Texas' words he felt his hands light up and start to burn a hole into the table, tears staining the areas that haven't been burned yet. "What the hell do you mean you think she's dead? You haven't found a body yet so what the fuck do you know for sure?! Has anyone even bothered to excavate the mines and see who was down there?"

Claire went over and tried to comfort him. "We have people working on it as we speak sweetheart, but so far, everyone they've found is dead, none of them have been Amelia, but we don't have much hope left."

Locke pushed her away, tears flowing. "They're just not doing a good enough job. I'm going to help, I'll burn my way through that entire mine if I have too!" With everyone asking him to stop, Locke rushed out of the meeting room and ran straight for the truck. Grabbing the keys from their usual spot on Texas' chair. The engine roared to life and he was about to hit the gas when something made him pause.

A missile, flying straight at him. Luckly it missed the truck by several feet but the resulting explosion sent the truck rolling a few times. Everything erupted into chaos. Anti-Para troppers were attacking. They wore the new armor that had been created after the experiments on Locke. Fire, did not bother them. One had a flamethrower, the other a grenade launcher. Five had semi-automatic weapons and three were using long energy swords with shields. Together the 10 cut down any para in their path and more were dropping down from the sky.

Ariel launched out of the pool, sending the water out from her in a tidal wave, drowning the fires and knocking several of the soldiers off their feet.
Shannon was pounding the snot out of one of the soldiers with swords, while fending off the other two.
Vines launched from garden wrapping around the feet of three more soldiers only to have them burned away by the flamethrower.

Every para was fighting for his or her life...and most were losing.

Back