The Diversity of POSTS

Zangyl

Hiyaaa everyone!

So, i have been wondering for quite a long while what 'kind' of posts you frequently catch yourself posting. Now i ask that, just to get to know eachother, you describe your most frequently-used type of post and tell us what your 'perfect' post would be.

Lets kick off!

Okay, so i catch myself posting posts full of details. Small little things like how the sun casts a colorplay on a piece of glass or how the wind makes the grasses bend. When it comes to the character or OC i RP as i try to add as much emotions and personal things to make him or her interesting to read about. When it comes to romantic scenes i love to stretch them out; long and detailed, filled with personality quirks and the such.

Now, for what i'd see as a perfect post i'd definitely say that i'd have to have a balance between detail and emotion with just enough interaction and history not to get bored by long walls of text.

Well then, i look forward too seeing what you all come up with!

Wait... what? Really? Woah... thanks for the compliment, Generik! Thats really appreciated!

Now im even more curious about other's posts... hihi!

Gotta love your energy Zangyl..its infectious in a good way x3

I find myself posting replies that really expose my character's inner monologue..those kinds of paragraphs help me to give more life and insight into my char. Also to present it accurately to my partner.

..not to mention... its a great text filler when you've bled descriptions of scenery and body gestures dry. lol

Love the energy and this topic. There are so many different posting styles and it's great to hear the variety of styles that are out there!

My posts tend to be shorter usually about a paragraph or less. I've never been much of a detail person but if I need to or it's a scene that I'm really into I'll toss in details. I'm really big on dialogue, which is why my posts tend to be shorter to keep the flow of the conversations going.

Hmm now onto my ideal post....that's a tough one but I'd say 2 paragraphs or maybe a little less, some details but not overly detailed. Really situational though for me.

Well, i'm somewhat surprised to hear that my energy is infectious.
am flattered however.

I see the need to further a rp with conversations, whilst i personally love the big, huge posts. I love to read; and the more a RP looks and feel like a book the better it is to me. Hehe. My current posts mostly contain detail and emotion. I am very, very happy with the result.

Also did not expect people to reply here! I am positively surprised :D

Relatively quick posts.

If I find myself going much beyond 2 paragraphs it's either a big scene or I've gotten caught up in too many minor details. That, or I'm managing a lot of characters.

My style is generally to the point. I give basic details and descriptions of what's happening, what the characters are thinking, feeling, what's being said etc. But I try to avoid the pitfalls of detailing the entire room's layout, or writing an essay of a post simply to have written an essay of a post. My priorities are on advancing the story, developing the characters, keeping things relatively fast paced, and having it be an RP people can dip into, spend about 30mins-1hour making their post and then returning to the rest of their life.

I generally have a very "cinematic" style of writing, focusing online on those details that define the scene and the action of the characters, or, if I need room to make my narrative breathe, I "pan out" and describe thing in broader strokes, so to speak. I try not to be verbose, but I also try to choose words carefully to convey my mental image, it's all about finding the balance: once I do that I feel like something between a director and a painter using words as colors, and that is when I start to roll!

I suppose my favorite kinds of posts are just posts for myself to further my own plot and do not require or depend on someone else's response. I haven't done that sort of thing here yet as today is the first day I actually posted here in a game, but in another game I play, I wrote a post that made me tear up due to its nature but not just because a part of it was sad but also because it gave hope to several of my NPCs. If I can make myself feel something, perhaps it will also make someone else feel it, too.

Anyway, most of the posts I like to write are descriptive with a mixture of dialogue. I may not describe the scenery in great detail, but I describe my character and how she is feeling and how that feeling is reflected in the minutia of facial expression, tone of voice, and dialogue. What I like to see in others is a dialogue response. I find it easiest to reply to dialogue than when characters are not speaking, and I also tend to be really impressed by what characters say sometimes, especially if it's witty because I am so not.

The way I write is kind of bare bones, I guess. I don't go off explaining everything my character hears, sees, smells, or feels. I only mention things of relevance. I'm kind of trying to change that, though. At least a little bit? Because, I always feel like my posts--when I reread them--seem really flat and without character. I've been trying my best to include more information and try to fluff things up, but at the same time I think that 'fluff for the sake of fluff' is a bad idea. I dunno, but it's interesting to think about for sure!

You post what you believe to be the best measurement of creativity for the reply you've been given.

For a reply to fit --- it must gel with your writing half's flow in some way... forcing length will only drown out the synergy between each other.

Look at it as a set of golf clubs in reference to the swing you would need to get closer to the green. In some ways you want to strike wide for a long shot because its the begining of the round.... whereas in other places you may want to use something of a lesser shot so as to not go overboard and miss your goal entirely.

Yeah. I get that. My main issue is though that I just kind of skim over things. Instead of saying, "He kicked his feet out from under his tangled covers and hopped out of bed, scrambling to get out of his pajamas and into his jeans and shirt." I'd say, "He was late, so he jumped up and got ready as quickly as he could."

I think I really could stand to get used to using more detail. I can use it if I think about it, but naturally it just doesn't come for me.

Yeah. I get that. My main issue is though that I just kind of skim over things. Instead of saying, "He kicked his feet out from under his tangled covers and hopped out of bed, scrambling to get out of his pajamas and into his jeans and shirt." I'd say, "He was late, so he jumped up and got ready as quickly as he could."

I think I really could stand to get used to using more detail. I can use it if I think about it, but naturally it just doesn't come for me.

Then again --- there is also a choice of allowing whose reading to fill in the blanks themselves becuase you can overly explain something that turns entertainment into a step-by-step lecture.

For instance --- if you said " He was late, so he jumped up and got ready as quickly as he could. " Your next possibility is to then describe what he or she wore --- " The jeans and shirt that were readily available had the smell of already been worn the previous day but there was no time for finesse, as he hopped and shuffled in them while focusing on the daming red digital clock numbers, screaming the echo of his impending doom. "

Yeah, hahaha, and see that example you gave is wayy more detail than I can usually muster.

I definitely am always afraid of crossing that threshold of 'too much information' so I keep things nice and concise, giving just enough info to fully tell what's going on. But, I know things are way more fun to read when they've got sensory detail. And leaving things open for people to fill in the blanks is nice, but it also leaves room for them to get the wrong idea with a post I think. I just have a hard time knowing what's enough and what's over the top, I guess.

Yeah, hahaha, and see that example you gave is wayy more detail than I can usually muster.

I definitely am always afraid of crossing that threshold of 'too much information' so I keep things nice and concise, giving just enough info to fully tell what's going on. But, I know things are way more fun to read when they've got sensory detail. And leaving things open for people to fill in the blanks is nice, but it also leaves room for them to get the wrong idea with a post I think. I just have a hard time knowing what's enough and what's over the top, I guess.

Its... a balance that comes with just practicing like anything else --- I am sure you could very well do it.

Start with things very familuar and attempt to describe it -- then keep adding and subtracting detail and layers until you think you have it where you want it... just like a layered cake.

Try this - "A ball is thrown at an unsuspecting person walking along within the field "

You've probably thrown a ball before. You know what a field is --- try and dress this scenario into something that would attact a reading eye.

Okay. I'll work on that. Not gonna post it here, though. Don't wanna take over the topic lol. But, thanks for the tips. ^^

Back