When Two is One The Drowning Crew

“Oh, I usually stay home while my dad does all the work.” He explained looking up from his carving which was starting to look more and more like a beautiful woman. “My dad didn’t want me working in the factories he wanted me to practice my wood carving skills for when we move back to the common district, my mum has been sending us checking to help support us” He explained as a hope grin spread across his face. Glancing once more at the carving which had taken the shape of a tall elegant woman in a long flowing dress with a small dog at her feet, he tossed it over to Lucius. “Here you can have it, I have plenty more at home” he said giving Lucius a smile.

The hint of a smile crept across Lucius' visage as he listened to the younger man's reply. "My dad," he said wistfully, "was paralyzed from work. So I picked up work in the factories." He took a long drag from the cigarette and exhaled smoke, watching it hang in the air before dissipating into the breeze. The thick air here in the Grounds District was harsh on the senses, threatening to suffocate as it diffused into the lungs. It clung to his clothes and closed in all around him, as if to weigh him down and confine him to this district for all of eternity. The road here was etched in cracks and crevices and a stifling layer of dust hung over the pavement.

As Karsin tossed the carving he'd been diligently working at Lucius caught it with a deft hand. Removing his cigarette he turned the carving over and over admiring the adept craftsmanship. The man was certainly skilled at what he did, there was no denying that. Perhaps one day he'd make it back to the Common District with his mother and make a living off of his true talent. Lucius hoped so. "Thanks. It's quite good," he said genuinely." The woman was a stunning beauty despite her ambiguous features with shapely curves and a long, flowing dress that accentuated her figure. He stashed the carving in a pocket within his jacket and slipped the cigarette between moist lips. Inhaling he suddenly withdrew the carton and extended it out towards his partner. "Smoke?"

Karsin shook his head and gently pushed the box away. “Smoking is pretty bad for you, especially around here. Just breathing without a cigar is as bad as doing it with one” He said with a chuckle. ((Sorry about the short post! I wasn’t really sure what else to say!))

As dawn draws to a close, morning arrives and with it, some renewed festivities. A festival known as The Adoption Day held by Mary Jane's Home for Displaced Children is being started in the city square. Festivities, food, games and most importantly couples or parents looking to adopt are heavily encouraged to attend as the Home offers interviews with children in order to adopt.

Back