The Fletcher Family Estate

Sharkyshark

Just chillin'
PGwBmen.jpg

The Fletcher Family Estate
Nestled snugly within the rolling foothills of Evenfall's Rozarrian region, the Fletcher family's estate is a picture of old-world elegance and an eye for classical architecture. Despite the family's recent financial troubles, the expansive gardens are still immaculately kept, stocked full of exotic flowers from every corner of the empire. The family's territories extend out across the hills, with stockades and barracks atop each of the tallest hills to defend the land from the other families' encroaching forces. The hills also serve as fertile agricultural land, and the peasants living under House Fletcher's banner are seldom concerned about famine.

"The guests are here, Lord Fletcher."

Robert turned, waving the maid off with a distracted gesture before returning his attention to the mirror. Diplomacy was all about appearances and first impressions, and he needed this meeting to go perfectly. Lord Fletcher...he really wished they'd stop calling him that. His father was still alive, after all! When people referred to him as the lord of the house, it seemed like they'd already written his father off as a lost cause. The man may be ill, but he could still have years left! His complexion was good, his attitude was positive, his gaze was strong...but nobody else seemed to see that. All anyone could see was a bedridden old man, brought low by illness and age. Robert sighed. He'd have to get used to the title eventually, but he'd hoped that he wouldn't need to for a few more years yet. As he adjusted the collar of his suit once more, the door creaked open again. He didn't need to turn to know who it was, as only one person would dare to step in without knocking.

"I'm almost ready, Roxy," he said, checking his teeth to make sure he didn't have any embarrassing bits of food stuck in between them. "I'll be out in just a moment. How do I look?"

He stood up and turned around, holding his arms out for his cousin to look him over. She frowned at him, impatiently cocking her head back towards the door.

"You look like a weasel stuffed in a suit," she said. "But don't worry, some women like small furry creatures. Come on, it's not good to keep guests waiting. Especially ones you seem so...intent on impressing."

"This is important," Robert insisted, striding out the door and down the hall. "We need to strengthen our alliances or we'll look like easy prey for the other houses. Especially now that that Karlos Correa has announced his engagement to that Nofalo girl. That should have been you!"

"That Nofalo girl?" Roxanne repeated, a mocking edge in her voice. "You seemed to remember her name just fine when you were fawning over her at the Emperor's Ball last summer. Besides, we all knew Mr. Perfect Heir Correa was going to go with the emperor's lapdogs. It just makes sense."

"Hey," protested Robert, "it wasn't just me. Everyone was fawning over her, she has that sort of effect about her. Besides, what's done is done. If the marriage goes through, they'll be unstoppable. We need to get in on the action before it's too late, or else we'll be the first ones to get gobbled up when they decide to expand their territory."

If things didn't go well today, Robert knew, they'd have to get much more creative with their strategies if they wanted any hope of the house's survival. If only one of the two suffered some unfortunate fate before the wedding, the other could marry someone else...but he didn't know any assassins crazy enough to go after the Correa heir or the Nofalo princess. The Vespidas probably had some on retainer, but Robert would sooner try to do the job himself than go to the Vespidas for help. There were some bridges that were just best left uncrossed. Shaking his head, he reached the door to the main hall and took a deep breath. Steeling his nerves, he threw open the door and stepped through, Roxanne right on his heels.

"Miss Correa," he said, striding into the main hall. "On behalf of my father, Lord Rufus Fletcher, please let me welcome you and your entourage to the Fletcher Estate. I'm Robert Fletcher, I believe we met briefly at the Emperor's Ball last summer. I trust that your journey here was a pleasant one?"

There she stood, Lady Mariona, in her breezy blue chiton* that was only tied at one shoulder, leaving the other bare. Her chestnut hair was braided in a crown around her head, with a singular strand loose and curled toward her collarbone. Golden accents tied into her hair and her dress illuminated her bronzey skin and reflected in her green eyes. A small smile in greeting was given to Robert when he entered, followed by a short curtsey

"That we did, Viscount Fletcher. A shame we could not converse for much longer; my duties kept my attention elsewhere." It was obvious exactly where, especially with the recent proposal her brother had given to Loralyn Nofalo to unite their houses. She had been speaking to the Nofalo elders the entire ball. "The trip was pleasant enough. A chill ran through the forest this day. Quite the respite from the blaring sun." Yet somehow, her coach did not share her thoughts on the matter. He kept saying something was watching him.

In any case, Mariona shook off the thought and reached out to take Robert's arm. "Your estate is rather grand. Will you show me around, Viscount?" She looked at him from the tops of her eyes and goaded him with her well-mannered, silken speech. She took him from the side of her bare shoulder, a bit closer, but not too much- no, she couldn't lean against the man and seem whorish.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
*Pronounced "kaitun"

Roxanne rolled her eyes as the woman sidled up beside Robert, clinging to his arm. Her cousin always seemed to have that effect on women, something that she'd never understood. What did they see in him? She saw the way the maidservants blushed when he smiled at them and heard the whispers of the peasant women when they walked through the villages. The man could be charming when he wanted to, but Roxanne often found his rakish ways to be tiresome. He'd have to get married eventually, and Roxanne already felt sorry for his future wife.

Robert beamed at his guest, taking her easily by the arm and leading her up towards the stairway towards the upper balcony. He knew that her casually flirtatious attitude was just part of the game of politics, but he still enjoyed the attention nonetheless. She was a sharp one, he could tell. It would be a great boon to have her on his side...or better yet, at his side. She certainly was pretty, and an alliance with the Correas could be greatly beneficial.

"It would be my pleasure," he said. "Come up here, you'll love the balcony. From up there, you can see all the villages of the eastern foothills. Lovely little towns, really. They're the real treasure of the family, my father always says."

Stepping out onto the balcony, he gestured with a sweep of the arm across the sprawling landscape before them. From their vantage point atop the tallest hill, the other rolling hills bubbled up from the earth, each a patchwork of farmlands and forests. The villages were visible from here, the buildings looking like dollhouses set up across a lawn. As he gazed over the lands, however, something didn't seem right. A heavy black smoke rose from the forests, rising into the sky in a dense pillar. He frowned, wondering what was going on.

"The villagers must be burning the forests," he said. "To make room for farmland, I'm sure. That's odd that they're doing it so late in the day, though. I wonder-"

He was cut off as the door to the balcony slammed open and a sweating messenger boy ran in. The young lad bowed hurriedly to Mariona before turning to Robert, his eyes wide with fright.

"A message for you, sir," he said. "Extremely urgent. From Captain Suurin of the Third Heavy Cavalry."

Robert frowned again, but nodded. He'd specifically instructed the staff not to bother him or the guests, but this was clearly something important.

"Excuse me a moment," he said, and stepped inside to hear what the boy had to say. A moment later, he stepped back outside, his face a ghostly white.

"Something happened," he said, trying to conceal the trembling in his voice. "Across the sea to the west. Do you remember the history lessons we were taught as children? About the artifacts? Do you recall one known as the Book of Night, containing all the evil magic in the land?"

He hesitated, glancing out at the smoking forest once more and shuddering.

"It's been opened," he said. "The news just arrived via messenger beetle. The book is open, and the pages are landing far and wide. I'm told that a few pages have landed within our own territories, and that horrible beasts are emerging. Please forgive me, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to be a very gracious host. The garrisons will have to be mobilized. Don't worry, you'll be perfectly safe here at the estate."

Glancing back out over the balcony, he suddenly realized exactly how dry his mouth was. How could this have happened? He would have thought it a hoax if the messenger boy hadn't brought the captain's own personal signet ring. This was something that nobody could have envisioned, a catastrophe beyond even the wildest of imaginations. The Book of Night? He'd been told stories of the evils contained within since he was a child, but had never even considered the possibility of it being opened.

Back