The Forgotten Ring

Orion’s eyes narrowed at the laughter, it clear that his frustration was quickly getting the better of him. Fighting a moment to clear his mind and take in a few relaxing breaths in order to think more clearly, the redhead didn’t even flinch when the windows broke throughout the building. Maybe he could use that to his advantage. He pulled the warmer water out of the air outside of his location, bringing it into his area in order to attempt to turn the ice into steam. He was absolutely done playing with whoever was attacking.

“I am fighting back, you dipshits! You’re the ones hiding behind your abilities. I am using what I am!” He snarled out his words, hating that he was losing a battle, especially with one that his particular abilities should be allowing him to win.

“If you’re referring to this fucking collar!” Orion lifted his arm, showing off the wristband before continuing, “it’s not my fault I got stuck with it! My mother turned me over to these assholes when I was a child!” He was done with everything and screamed loudly, dropping down to his knees as he placed his hands on the ice, willing it all to return to its normal water state.

Everything about this "battle," to the extent it could ever be called a battle, was fucked. No way to establish a safe distance or sight lines for a sniper's nest or even room to get a clean shot. Even if there was, exactly what would Beck be shooting at to begin with? Soldiers with guns didn't seem to factor much into a battle with incorporeal magic beings who seemed to overpower other magical beings. Beck racked his brain in the instant for any damn thing he or Alaska could do. Nothing. Nothing.

Beck struggled to find a decent footing as the ice seemed to thicken beneath his feet. A bead sweat previously trickling down his arm hastened to frost as he ducked around another corner. The boy's challenge mixed with the ethereal taunts in reply echoed in his head as if the voices originated between his ears, making it even more difficult to track down the source. The store was simply too small for him not to be able to find it, leading to frustration.

Sliding slightly, he dropped down next to Alaska, crouching behind what would have once been a display aisle endcap. He winced with a sharp pain in his ribs as he placed a hand on her shoulder, eyes darting behind him in the hopes he'd avoid becoming the target of flying ice for just a few more moments.

"We need to find a way to get some heat in here. Fire," he emphasized with another crash around them causing him to grind his teeth. "Powers long gone, but there might still be some gas connection with some residual pressure. If you can," he paused for another duck, "loosen it, might be enough to even things."

Beck turned again, fishing a cigar lighter out of his pants utility pocket.

"Don't let them see you, looks like Red's happy to keep attention on him. I'll see if I can't give them another target."

"You poor, ignorant soul. You know nothing." The ice started to spread more. "I shall leave you alive this time. Find the truth. Find out what is really happening. Question what you know and what you think is the truth."

And as suddenly as it had begun, the ice storm seemed to fade just as quickly. The unusual darkness of the store also seemed to lift, and revealed how small the store really was. No one was here, or at least not physically that could be seen that had caused the attacks. Orion's ability to morph things back into water was suddenly very effective in his area.

Morrigan laid pinned to the wall, a spear of ice holding her right arm and left thigh to the wall. She was blue she was so cold, but it was probably what had kept her from bleeding so bad as well. She was, however, unconscious. Much to everyone's dismay, I'm sure.

A low growl slipped out of his pursed lips at the words. He wasn’t ignorant at all! He knew tons of things, especially how shitty the government was, but apparently that didn’t matter. While he had no idea what was truly happening outside of his prison, the redhead was certain it was not good things. He didn’t respond back, still trying to make a dent in the ice that was slick and fucking cold. When the ice storm suddenly faded away, he blinked his crimson eyes at the sudden light.

“Fuck! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!” Orion screamed over and over again, slamming his fist hard against the now soggy ground once he had reverted the ice into water. Snarling for good measure, the slender male leaned over, still knelt on the ground, his hands covered in the cool liquid. Releasing a few heaving breaths to calm himself down, his gaze slowly shifted towards Morrigan and he just stared.

“FUCK! Get your asses in here if you’re around! Anyone, the Bitch is hurt… maybe even frozen.” Orion slid to his feet and moved over to his temporary handler, barely catching her when the ice faded away to water. He pressed his hands on her right arm and thigh to stem the bleeding and just swore a few more times beneath his breath. At least she wasn’t conscious. That in itself was a miracle.

Just as soon as they were hatching a planning and pressing their luck even further on a day when it should have already run out, the threat from above, below, or wherever else it truly originated was gone with just a little rhyme and reason as it had come. Beck slowly stood, not entirely convinced the taunting entity wasn't playing a game, lulling them into a sense of false security before evaporating all of them with a cackle.

Orion didn't take the same tactical pause, however, launching into every worse of a profanity-laced tirade than the one he'd used against the enemy itself. Beck eventually made his way over with him, taking immediate stock of Morrigan's situation. It wasn't the worst, but it wasn't good, either. She'd live assuming they took the right action.

"As much as you two would probably just love to leave her like this, I don't even either of you if you get back without her. And that's just more paperwork for me." Beck's hand reached out and brushed over Orion's, assessing the injury for himself. "Hate paperwork," he grumbled under his breath.

"Is your truck nearby? And where the hell is your handler, Orion?" It wasn't an accusation against the boy, more a worry for Darius being left alone with...the other one.

Sneaking! That's what she was good at. She could easily get by unseen. Probably. It was hard to say when she didn't know where they were, but Alaska took the lighter from Beck, wrapping her fingers around it. Nodding her confirmation, she started to move when everything suddenly... stopped.

Was she a little disappointed in not being able to light something on fire? Perhaps.

Was she disappointed that Morrigan was injured and not conscious to berate any of them? Not even a little bit.

Rising just as cautiously as Beck, Alaska glanced around. Her steps were slower in following him to her handler, slipping the cigar lighter into a hidden pocket on the inside of her sleeve. "I don't think she minded the pain," Alaska murmured. She sighed and tore at her shirt around the torso. The good thing about the cheap fabric they used for them. It took about a minute, but then she had a strip of fabric that she tied above the injury in Morrigan's thigh to stem the bleeding. More strips of cloth and she had something to stuff in the hole in Morrigan's arm and just enough to tie over it. Zipping up her jacket to cover her now bare stomach, Alaska rocked on her heels. "I'm not carrying her, though."

Orion glanced up as Beck and Alaska came over to where he was at with Morrigan. Sure, part of him wanted to leave Morrigan to die, but he wasn't stupid. He knew what would happen if they returned without her. Moving back out of the way, hands covered in the female's blood, the redhead made a conscious effort to keep from running the digits through his hair. While the crimson goo would match, he couldn't help but feel sick at the thought of her blood in his hair. It was bad enough that it covered his hands. Snapping his attention back to Beck as he had sort of let his mind wander, Orion just shrugged a little.

"Don't know where Darius and Zieg are at... they never entered the building. The truck is nearby... we should move." He glanced down by the time Alaska had finished stemming the blood and sighed deeply. "I'm going to look for Darius..." His voice came out soft, uncertain, and without another word, he was moving towards the door, needing air and needing to figure out why he was so ineffective against the enemy.

Orion would hear fighting still going on further down the way, but it was definitely much less than it had been only a bit before. Zieg was fighting off some beast-like creature, fangs fully extended and eyes blood red. Darius was too busy trying to tie another man's hands behind his back with his belt. Blood dripped from Darius' brow and both were a bloody mess.

The moment he spotted Darius alive, Orion released the breath he had been holding. While he saw the blood on both his handler and fellow collared, they were alive. Moving over to them quickly, the redhead kept from calling out to distract them. He wasn't sure if Zieg wanted help or not, so he opted to wait until being told to help.

"You okay?" His voice was soft as he reached Darius and Orion somehow managed to keep his emotions hidden. He wiped Morrigan's blood off on his pants and while ignoring his own injuries, glanced back at the vampire and the creature he was fighting.

Darius' jaw was clenched as he worked, and he had a limp as he hauled the one man up. "Think my luck's run out.." He muttered to Orion. "I'll live. You okay, kid?" He asked.

Soon there was screams of agony as Zieg broke the poor creature's leg in two.

"All of our luck has run out..." Orion sighed softly, shaking his head just as Zieg broke the creature's leg. He glanced to the individual Darius had pulled up and he was fairly certain the individual hadn't been behind the assault in the store.

"I'll live... Kerrigan was injured and frozen inside... she's unconscious." Orion shrugged a bit, his body starting to get pretty stiff, the pain settling in as the adrenaline dissipated.

Darius grunted. "I've been bit by this jackass.." He muttered, shoving the man forward. "Gonna need one of them shots they got at the medical facility.. Ugh its gonna be a long one.." He groused, wincing at the thought of what kind of ordeal he was in for. "Zieg chased off three others.. I don't think he's gonna let that one live-"

As he said the words, there was a gurgling sound as the werewolf's head was ripped off its neck.

"Yeah. Not letting that one live.." He muttered. He groaned and shoved the captive forward again. "Be a good lad and help me out, will ya?"

"BIT?! Oh no! I knew we shouldn't have ..." Orion just not his tongue, trying to keep from panicking. It was his job to ensure his handler was fine and because the stupid BITCH made them switch, Darius was bitten. Exhaling deeply and glad when the other creature was murdered by Zieg, Orion returned his attention to Darius.

"OH! Sure thing." Grabbing a hold of the enemy, Orion crushed his fingers into the arm, making sure there was no way he was getting free.

"Whoever attacked us, never showed... they used ice..." He frowned and forced the person forward, knowing they needed to get back to the others.

Darius limped back towards the cars with Orion. "They didn't escape from that building either. Zieg would have seen. We heard the conflict going in, but we got ambushed right as we tried to join you." He muttered. "This almost seemed planned.." He murmured, looking back to Zieg. "Oi, you go to the others. Think you can drag Morrigan through the shadows back to the infirmary?"

Zieg was by their side in almost an instant it seemed, bringing the shadows with him. "No.. I'm afraid I've used up a lot of what energy I had to fight those creatures off you. I will need to feed before I can."

Darius cursed softly. "Alright, I'll let you have some of mine when we get to the others.." He muttered. He was in no position to be giving a vampire blood.

"Great, of course it was planned." Keeping the rest of his thoughts to himself, Orion couldn't help but wonder if they had been set up by someone. How else would the attackers be able to plan this so well. He clenched his jaw, shoving the enemy forward while trying to keep his cool.

"This all smells funky..." His voice was soft and he glanced over to Zieg when he finally appeared. He fought from growing agitated when the vampire said he would need to feed before taking care of the bitch. When it rained, it poured, he supposed.

"You're hurt, Darius... let him feed from me, please?" Orion spoke up, glancing at his handler with plea-filled eyes. "It's the least I can do since I failed in there." He added softly, voice full of shame.

Darius gazed over at Orion with pained, but kind gaze. "You didn't fail back there, kid. You went in blind, and that wasn't your fault. That was mine. You are my responsibility. You're just a kid who was born with a gift and was thrown under the bus by shit parents, and your life has been a living hell since then. I'm trying to make up for it as best as I can, in what ways I can. I can stop Zieg if he pushes too far in a feed, you can't." He said quietly.

When they got to the car, Darius helped Orion shove the prisoner in the back of it and started it up, bringing it closer to the building for Morrigan and them. "Damn I'm getting tired.." He murmured.

Every sound, every swirl of air penetrating the building -- all of surfaced in a perfect paranoia, a lingering fearful dread that the laughter would return and they would again be facing the faceless enemy. Tunnel vision overcame the soldier as he zeroed in on his mission. Get this unit back to base safely without any more casualties than they'd already suffered. At the moment, they had a dead wolf-tiger-naked girl creature dead and a handler badly injured as far as he knew. He steeled himself against further worry about Zeig and Darius for the time being. That battle would have to wait for another day, assuming he didn't have to immediately track down the shadowy one for killing a friend.

"Let's get her loaded and home," he said, watching silently as Alaska field dressed the wounds with surprisingly skill and calm. "Guess the honors are mind," Beck grumbled as he began the slow process of carefully moving Morrigan as best he could, trying to limit unnecessary twisting. Last thing he needed was for Beck to be the one she was out for when she came to.

Alaska gave Beck an 'all yours' gesture. She could assist with carrying, but honestly, the woman was a little lacking in the muscle department, and it might be easier for him to do it on his own. Instead, she worked to make sure that they had everything they had brought with them. As far as she could tell, there was no one there, but that didn't seem to mean anything here.

It was a bit frustrating. The one thing Alaska was supposed to be able to do was to feel when people were around, sense their emotions, and she couldn't even do that. As far as she was concerned, she was pretty worthless to the government in a fight. If they needed her to steal something, she'd be much more adept at that. Why keep her collared? Double checking that the lighter was still in her sleeve, Alaska followed Beck back to the vehicle. "I guess this means our mission was a failure, then?" She confirmed. It didn't seem like they had achieved any of what they had come to do.

With necessity serving as mother to invention, Beck searched for a moment until he found part of a broken aisle cap, a long-enough board that had once been covered with small connected shelves with all kinds of goods and wares. Kicking off any of the lingering screws with his foot, Beck was left with a relatively straight and smooth board. Some splinters were bound to happen, but it was better than wrenching a spine. Carefully, and with Alaska's help, they laid Morrigan on the board and Beck began to slowly drag it, providing for far less jolting movement than carrying the woman outright.

"Any one you walk away from," he responded as they reached the truck, beginning the tedious and awkward process of getting Alaska's handler loaded. Beck thought about a crass line that it was good for them to have the additional space due to their execution of the creature from earlier, but making the young girl pull the trigger had been enough for one day. No need to twist the knife.

"For all I know, this was the mission. Wouldn't be the first time they threw the lot of you out here just to see who or what showed up," he spoke, a few words highlight by growls and grunts as he loaded their charge into the truck. Once it was done, he shut the door and exhaled deeply, looking over to Alaska with a long breath and something of a smirk.

"Get used to being expendable, kid. Want to get even and really get under their skin? Just keep coming back."

Darius blinked as he heard Beck and Alaska load the truck. He hadn't heard them approach. "Damn.." He muttered, rubbing his face and shaking his head to try to break the fog that was starting to set. He opened the truck's door and stepped out on his bad leg and hissed as the pain shot up his thigh, causing him to tumble over to his side.

"Great.." He muttered, spitting out mud and dirt. "Someone else, drive. I can't at the moment.." He grumbled as he picked himself up off the ground with the help of the truck to look over the side. "Oh. That's just lovely. Thumbelina is napping." He groused, his mood taking a bad turn. "Beck, I've got a werewolf tranq'd and tied up in the back seats. You drive and Alaska will take shot gun, Orion will stay guard with the tranq gun in the back to keep that fucker asleep long enough to get you home. Zieg and I will stay behind and take the other truck when I get to it.."

Last edited:
Back