Side Story The Goddess II: Fate of the Old Gods

G A R D E N - C A V E

The fourth reliquary opened with a long, pitchy creak. It's hinges were strangers to use. As soon as Alice removed her hand from the door, it fell off of the case in a single, clean motion. What had started out as a quick peek instead revealed the contents of the reliquary to anyone standing in or near the cave.

The case contained three clean, well-maintained items: a small, emerald knife, a pocket watch, and a small glass vial containing a single drop of water. The knife was hot to touch, despite the coolness of its case. The pocket watch appeared to be broken; it ticked backwards, repeating the same few seconds over and over. Other than this peculiarity, the timepiece seemed relatively unremarkable; despite its grand reliquary, the watch itself was undecorated, plain, and silver. The glass vial appeared to be equally 'normal', if any of the Returned still knew what 'normal' was. The droplet was held in place by a small cork stopper which twitched whenever it was touched. It was almost as if the stopped wished to be removed, or if the drop of water wanted to get out.

The stones appeared to be just that: white stones. The did not appear to be magical, or particularly old, or particularly interesting in any way. They were, however, intentionally arranged. The three stone circles were identical in size and shape. The size of the circles seemed to match the size of the small, bone crowns Alice had found within the reliquaries.

The statue nearest to Jeff seemed particularly... strange. The more he inspected it, the more interesting it became. Perhaps he had started inspecting in the hopes of working out who it depicted, or what its purpose might have been. But his mind soon started to wander. He found himself marveling at its construction, its beauty, its design. The statue was incredible. Indescribable. Hypnotic. He couldn't help but touch its hand. He couldn't help himself. For a moment, he wasn't himself. He just... had... to... hold her hand...

An electric shock. Pain flooded the boy's system. His legs buckled, and he fell to his knees, his trance broken. By the time he came to his senses, the garden had changed. The statue he had been inspecting had moved. She was no longer content to hide in the garden's corner covering its face. She now stood proud and tall, looming over the three gravestones in the center of the garden, her arms stretched wide. In one hand, the statue now held a long, marble spear. In her other hand, she held a shield in the shape of Jeff's screaming face.

@Takumi @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Yun Lee

U P S T A I R S

A long hallway stretched out from the top of the staircase, connecting one side of the castle to the other. A dusty, velvet carpet ran the length of hall, with golden tassels marking its start and send. The hall's stone walls war marked with a series of grand, golden paintings and idols. Each clearly depicted the Goddess tending to her followers. In one, the Goddess, depicted as a glowing, emerald giant, plucked the sun from the sky to grant her subjects fire. In another, she bled onto a field of wheat, bestowing upon her followers the gifts of food, water, and land. In another, she sat upon a great emerald throne, bestowing 'grace' upon four of her most trusted companions. Their identities were impossible to determine; their faces, like the face of the Goddess, had been burned or scraped from each and every painting.

Before Valkyrie could pick one of the many rooms that lined the hallway, however, she felt a sudden, cold wave wash over her. She felt a shiver run down her spine. Her breath turned to fold, and her hairs stoop up on their ends. The color seemed to drain from the room.

"Leave this place..." A voice wheezed. "Go. Begone."

@Jeremi

T O M B

Beau's punches never connected the the Tomb's grand inner door. All it took was her balling her fist and drawing it back for the door the rumble to life. With a mighty boom, they swung open with startling speed, as if they were attempting to 'doge' the monk's attack. Roman's instincts were spot on. It was as if the door was waiting for them. The door was almost... excited by the presence.

Behind the door, a long corridor stretched. Its domed ceiling was held aloft by a series of grand marble pillars. Each one was smooth and undecorated. In fact, the whole chamber lacked the Goddess' typical gaudy excess. Everything was sheer, plain, and cold. In the near distance- about 400 meters down the hall- a woman in a white gown knelt before another set of grand doors. These doors were propped slightly open by the foot of another figure. Open hearing the first set of doors open, the woman stumbled to her feet clutching her side. Nervous, and perhaps afraid, she scrambled towards the second set of doors. Before the Returned could react, the woman, now cast in a warm, emerald glow, was desperately pulling the heavy doors in a futile attempt to close them behind her.

@Takumi @Capri @Lucky

A knife, a pocket watch, and a vial with a drop of water. All seeming to be well cared for. Alice couldn't help but wonder what significance they had. Her first assumption was that the small knife was ceremonial in some way, and the fact it was hot to the touch was odd.

The broken watch, she wasn't sure what that was about in all honesty, but the vial...

The vial, to her, seemed almost as if it had some form of spell or possible curse on it. It was probably the weirdest to her, since the stopper itself seemed to react when touched as she carefully held it up to her face to inspect it. Part of her told her not to open it, since the last time she touched something cursed led to her mentor nearly losing an eye.

f3c1bfaf87184a56c7c32797c01c68e0e2e3d446.jpg

"You know...all of this seems like it was, or is, part of some ritual of some sort." She pondered aloud. The Alchemist apprentice just couldn't fully understand it.

Meanwhile, Silque had come to the conclusion that something was supposed to be placed in the the cirlces of stones, yet not exactly what. Or why anything would be placed there.

Deciding to come back to that a little later, she went to check on one of the four statues.

@Sark @Lucky @Capri @Gardens @Cave.

A long hallway stretched out from the top of the staircase, connecting one side of the castle to the other. A dusty, velvet carpet ran the length of hall, with golden tassels marking its start and send. The hall's stone walls war marked with a series of grand, golden paintings and idols. Each clearly depicted the Goddess tending to her followers. In one, the Goddess, depicted as a glowing, emerald giant, plucked the sun from the sky to grant her subjects fire. In another, she bled onto a field of wheat, bestowing upon her followers the gifts of food, water, and land. In another, she sat upon a great emerald throne, bestowing 'grace' upon four of her most trusted companions. Their identities were impossible to determine; their faces, like the face of the Goddess, had been burned or scraped from each and every painting.

Before Valkyrie could pick one of the many rooms that lined the hallway, however, she felt a sudden, cold wave wash over her. She felt a shiver run down her spine. Her breath turned to fold, and her hairs stoop up on their ends. The color seemed to drain from the room.
"Leave this place..." A voice wheezed. "Go. Begone."

Despite her uneasiness and a possible threat looming over her, Valkyrie pushed on. “We are on a mission to slay a beast who has the multiverse in its clutches. What power do you have to command me?” She replied in defiance as she continued forward.

@Sark

The place was eerie, ever since the group set foot on it's grounds and in it's halls. Something had to happen, eventually. Some sort of discovery or answers or...something. At least it felt that way to Ashe as he kept an eye out for the cause of the footprints leading to the stars, and had been in the process of checking one of the rooms in the hall when the atmosphere seemed to shift.

The voice, along with Valkyrie continuing despite it, was apparently that something.

@Sark @Jeremi @Capri @Upstairs

Despite her uneasiness and a possible threat looming over her, Valkyrie pushed on. “We are on a mission to slay a beast who has the multiverse in its clutches. What power do you have to command me?” She replied in defiance as she continued forward.

@Sark
The place was eerie, ever since the group set foot on it's grounds and in it's halls. Something had to happen, eventually. Some sort of discovery or answers or...something. At least it felt that way to Ashe as he kept an eye out for the cause of the footprints leading to the stars, and had been in the process of checking one of the rooms in the hall when the atmosphere seemed to shift.

The voice, along with Valkyrie continuing despite it, was apparently that something.
U P S T A I R S
"I am not commanding..." The voice hushed weakly. "I'm asking you... begging you... please..."
A young woman emerged from the blackness of the hall. Every stumbling step she took was accompanied by a wince and a pained grunt. She did her best to steady herself against the hall's wall, but her efforts were in vain. Her shoulder struck the carpet with an unceremonious thud. She warded off any attempts to aid her with the wave of her good hand. Blood stained her other arm, dying her already dark clothes a grotesque crimson. With a resilient growl, she forced herself back up onto her knees.
View attachment 11535
"This place... you need to leave... now... Please... just go..."

@Jeremi @Takumi @Capri
A knife, a pocket watch, and a vial with a drop of water. All seeming to be well cared for. Alice couldn't help but wonder what significance they had. Her first assumption was that the small knife was ceremonial in some way, and the fact it was hot to the touch was odd.

The broken watch, she wasn't sure what that was about in all honesty, but the vial...

The vial, to her, seemed almost as if it had some form of spell or possible curse on it. It was probably the weirdest to her, since the stopper itself seemed to react when touched as she carefully held it up to her face to inspect it. Part of her told her not to open it, since the last time she touched something cursed led to her mentor nearly losing an eye.
G A R D E N - C A V E
Ptt-nk!

The vial cracked. The droplet of water forced its way through the chink in the glass and sprung towards Alice's face. Before she could blink, the droplet struck her right eye. It did not burn her. It did not sting. As far as her eye was concerned, it was as if she had been struck by a single drop of rain. She felt no discomfort beyond the initial surprise. Aside from the sudden urge to blink it out, Alice felt no ill effects from the droplet's sudden 'attack'.

Beau and Jester

Beau was disappointed that her punches didn't connect the area, but she didn't know what to make of the situation, the quiet being the only thing right now. "What happened to you?" Jester asked, putting her foot in the door,

There was a better question, Beau realized. "Who are you?"

@Jeremi @Takumi @Capri @Sark

Henry " Survivor Danger" Hart

Henry would look at the case, and the two things that were left as Alice was "Attacked" by the water. "Well, I guess it's time to figure out what this is about," he mumbled, picking up the pocket watch and wondering what it could mean,

@Sark @Takumi

U P S T A I R S
"I am not commanding..." The voice hushed weakly. "I'm asking you... begging you... please..."
A young woman emerged from the blackness of the hall. Every stumbling step she took was accompanied by a wince and a pained grunt. She did her best to steady herself against the hall's wall, but her efforts were in vain. Her shoulder struck the carpet with an unceremonious thud. She warded off any attempts to aid her with the wave of her good hand. Blood stained her other arm, dying her already dark clothes a grotesque crimson. With a resilient growl, she forced herself back up onto her knees.
View attachment 11535
"This place... you need to leave... now... Please... just go..."

@Jeremi @Takumi @Capri

G A R D E N - C A V E
Ptt-nk!

The vial cracked. The droplet of water forced its way through the chink in the glass and sprung towards Alice's face. Before she could blink, the droplet struck her right eye. It did not burn her. It did not sting. As far as her eye was concerned, it was as if she had been struck by a single drop of rain. She felt no discomfort beyond the initial surprise. Aside from the sudden urge to blink it out, Alice felt no ill effects from the droplet's sudden 'attack'.

"Guh!" Alice yelped in surprise, instinctively blinking in an attempt to get the water out, raising a hand to try and wipe at her right eye in the process.

She gave it a second, but nothing else happened so far. Alice wasn't sure if she should be worried about that or not. Hopefully she wouldn't come down with some weird multiversal virus or something.

Beau and Jester

Beau was disappointed that her punches didn't connect the area, but she didn't know what to make of the situation, the quiet being the only thing right now. "What happened to you?" Jester asked, putting her foot in the door,

@Jeremi @Takumi @Capri @Sark

Henry " Survivor Danger" Hart

Henry would look at the case, and the two things that were left as Alice was "Attacked" by the water. "Well, I guess it's time to figure out what this is about," he mumbled, picking up the pocket watch and wondering what it could mean,

@Sark @Takumi

"I can't make sense of it." She admitted with a sigh as she went to take a look at the two remaining items with Henry again. Maybe Renfred could have if he was here but she doubted it.

@Sark @Lucky @Cave

"We can't just leave yet, we set out on a mission to complete, but...what happened to you?" Ashe responded, both wary and concerned, even as the other waved off any attempts to help.

It had been so long that Valkyrie hadn't recognized her voice, but when that familiar pink hue came into view the stoic Valkyrie almost lost grip of her weapon. "Blink..." She took a few steps forward. "What does thou mean?" The look of concern quickly shifted to one of anger. "Who did this to you?"

@Sark

T O M B
"The Gods, those infernal Gods..." The woman muttered, half to her pursuers, half to herself. "Such troubling things, yes, oh so troubling... but I dealt with them... or did they deal with me?" The stumbling dame stumbled towards the centre of the next chamber. The grand hall where the Goddess' simple coffin had once sat was now awash with blood, decay and debris. Its pillars had collapsed under their own weight. The Returned could barely hobble to the chamber's centre without stepping over the body of a Broken Chaos marine or a half-shattered Emerald Knight. The Goddess fell upon the steps of her own grave, cradling her stomach. For the first time since your deaths, you were face to face with the Goddess' 'True' Body. "I showed them such kindness... Let them slip away from Atlantis... I wanted to play a game with them, you see... But they had to meddle... Had to interfere I thought Hell could hold them, but no, no, no, they..." An'Lu'Munus tossed an accusatory glare over her shoulder. "They Returned..."

"I was wrong about the Gods... Perhaps Hearts was right..."
The Goddess winced. "Perhaps I shouldn't have killed him... No matter... I could bring him back if I wanted... I control enough of the Negative Dimensions... And with Eliph---" She choked on her words, recoiling as if they had poisoned her. "Now that he's preoccupied... Who remains? Who could possibly stop me? You? No, no, no! Not you. Never you..." A bloody grin stretched across her lips. "Never you."

"I can here to recover... To rest... After... After..." The Goddess turned from her place on the stairs. She removed her arm from her abdomen. Amidst a sea of blood and burns, the God Shattering Star- The Sword of Poseidon, The Sword Adopted by Shazam- protruded her gut. "After they came for me... After they failed... After I... After I killed them..." The Goddess gurgled. "I thought this place... This oh so special place... Might restore me to my glory.... whilst I puppets my troops... whilst my followers continued my work... But the scars... They remain... The Pain... It remains!" She threw her arms to the side like a stropping child. The Tomb was rocked to its foundations "It remains! It lingers! It haunts! Never fading, never flowing, such pain! Maddening, sickening, twisting! What did I do to deserve such Hell? Such misery! I only wanted... I only wanted..."

The Goddess wailed in agony. Clawing and gnawing upon the Sword.
"Perfection! A world without sin, without secrets, without fear! A world in the palm of a benevolent watchwoman! A loving mother!" Bloody tears burned her cheeks. "You never deserved it! You never deserved my love! You never deserved me! None of you! None of you!" The Goddess stumbled back down towards the Returned. "You just take and taint, take and taint.... just like them. Just like them..." An'Lu'Munus wrapped her trembling fingers around the God Shattering Star. A hurricane of hate and fury, she tightened her grip. Howling, wailing, she pulled the blade from her flesh. The blood of a Deity stained the tiles black. Her wound slipped weeping, drooling, she swung her stolen weapon up onto her shoulder. "They took my freedom, my life, my family, my everything.... I have fought too hard, too long, lost too much.... I refuse to give up now... I will not lose them again... Come Hell... Come Highwater..."

"The Old Gods are dead and damned... and now..."
The Demon grinned. "And now... You shall share in their fate!"

With a fiendish scream, the Goddess lunged towards her foes, swinging her bloody weapons frantically and furiously.

[The God Shattering Star is a tool for mortal hands. Find the Returned. Pass the Blade. Only then shall the Goddess fall.]

[By the Phoenix and the Sword, By the Emerald and the Light...]

@Lucky @Yun Lee @Jeremi @Capri @Takumi @Jeremi
"Guh!" Alice yelped in surprise, instinctively blinking in an attempt to get the water out, raising a hand to try and wipe at her right eye in the process.

She gave it a second, but nothing else happened so far. Alice wasn't sure if she should be worried about that or not. Hopefully she wouldn't come down with some weird multiversal virus or something.

"I can't make sense of it." She admitted with a sigh as she went to take a look at the two remaining items with Henry again. Maybe Renfred could have if he was here but she doubted it.

@Sark @Takumi
G A R D E N - C A V E
Click
The pocket watch's metallic cover seemed to snap open as soon as it touched down upon Henry's skin. It had been waiting for him, eagerly, hungrily. Light surged forth from clock's face. Its hands span backwards. The drums of war pounded the ears of Alice and Henry. The light grew brighter. Warmer. The foul odour of brimstone burned the nostrils of the companions. The Pocket Watch smothered their senses. It was overwhelming, agonizing. The roar of a great beast rocked them. The earth beneath them boiled and bubbled. Before the pair could aptly react, they were in another place, another time----

T H E N E G A T I V E T H I R D D I M E N S I O N
H E L L
[5 Y E A R S]
"Don't let up! D----aghhh!!" The Maul of an Agent of Chaos obliterated the skull of yet another damned soul unfortunate enough find itself enrolled in the Goddess' arm. Gore showered the its amour. Beneath its helmet, the Agent smiled. One down. Several Trillion to go. The damned soul's cries had not gone unheard. An Emerald Knight emerged from the chaos, its lanced raised high. Vengeance spurred the Goddess' Elite into action. With a triumphal pray, the Knight surged forth, striking the Agent with its 'divine' weapon. Its blade pierced the demon's armour, its under-armour, its flesh, and, with a grotesque splat, it came out the other end. Unperturbed by the weapon piercing its collar, the Agent raised its weapon once again, crushing yet another foe in silent bliss. The War raged on. The Eradicated were forgotten. They were fodder, buying time in a realm beyond time.
Guns roared. Men screamed like children. Gore stained the blood-red sands of the negative third. The battlefield seemed to stretch on Endlessly. An endless conflict in an endless war.
View attachment 11567
Neither Eliphas' army nor the Goddess' slave paid they Returned any heed. Their petty squabble was far more important that two seemingly harmless interlopers. Only one man seemed to stare directly at them. Sticking out like a store thumb, the man stood proud and tall in a pale purple tunic, void of any emblems or insignia. Warm-eyed, fresh-faced and comely, the strange gave the pair a silent wave.

@Takumi @Lucky

It had been so long that Valkyrie hadn't recognized her voice, but when that familiar pink hue came into view the stoic Valkyrie almost lost grip of her weapon. "Blink..." She took a few steps forward. "What does thou mean?" The look of concern quickly shifted to one of anger. "Who did this to you?"
"We can't just leave yet, we set out on a mission to complete, but...what happened to you?" Ashe responded, both wary and concerned, even as the other waved off any attempts to help.
U P S T A I R S
"It doesn't matter..." Blink groaned, staring straight through her companions. "Just go, okay?" She rolled her eyes. She signed in disappointment. "Just leave!" Anger. "You don't want to b-be here... please!" Fear. "Come on. Let's go!" Peppy. "Let goooooo already." Bored. "What emotion are you after, Val? Valkie? Vallie? Which one do I call you, again?" A chuckle. A grin. "Doesn't matter. Let's try again."
'Blink' rolled her head to one side, cracking her neck. A simple habit. Only her head kept turning. Turning. Turning. Her features seemed melt from her face. Her skin grew paler, paler, paler. Her eyes rolled. Their colour shifted too. With a creaking groan, her body struck the carpet once again. Only this time, it wasn't her body at all.
View attachment 11568
"Ashe, my friend..." 'Gilbert' groaned, clutching his side. "I don't have much time... If you're ever going to listen to me, listen to me now... Get out of here whilst you still can! You need to----" A beat. An uncharacteristic smile. "It's not going to work, is it? No... No... You're much too sharp for a trick like this.... Yes... You didn't listen to me when I ordered you to leave that traitorous rat, Ferdinand, to die... You're not going to listen to me now. Back during the war... I told you that you'd thank me some day..." The stones beneath the Returned's feet began to tremble and quake. "It appears that day has finally come... That day I am to be proven right..."

The Knight rose to his feet, suddenly unhampered by his 'injuries'. He let his arms swing lose. He hunched over, his wrists dangling.
"If you had left him behind... You'd be both safely tucked away inside the Goddess' Afterlife by now... Instead you're here... About to suffer a horrible fate... When you're both mangled in the final fight against my Mother... Remember... I warned you... and I was right..."

"Last chance. You know where the exit is. Last chance. Before I drive you out..."

@Jeremi @Takumi

T O M B
"The Gods, those infernal Gods..." The woman muttered, half to her pursuers, half to herself. "Such troubling things, yes, oh so troubling... but I dealt with them... or did they deal with me?" The stumbling dame stumbled towards the centre of the next chamber. The grand hall where the Goddess' simple coffin had once sat was now awash with blood, decay and debris. Its pillars had collapsed under their own weight. The Returned could barely hobble to the chamber's centre without stepping over the body of a Broken Chaos marine or a half-shattered Emerald Knight. The Goddess fell upon the steps of her own grave, cradling her stomach. For the first time since your deaths, you were face to face with the Goddess' 'True' Body. "I showed them such kindness... Let them slip away from Atlantis... I wanted to play a game with them, you see... But they had to meddle... Had to interfere I thought Hell could hold them, but no, no, no, they..." An'Lu'Munus tossed an accusatory glare over her shoulder. "They Returned..."

"I was wrong about the Gods... Perhaps Hearts was right..."
The Goddess winced. "Perhaps I shouldn't have killed him... No matter... I could bring him back if I wanted... I control enough of the Negative Dimensions... And with Eliph---" She choked on her words, recoiling as if they had poisoned her. "Now that he's preoccupied... Who remains? Who could possibly stop me? You? No, no, no! Not you. Never you..." A bloody grin stretched across her lips. "Never you."

"I can here to recover... To rest... After... After..." The Goddess turned from her place on the stairs. She removed her arm from her abdomen. Amidst a sea of blood and burns, the God Shattering Star- The Sword of Poseidon, The Sword Adopted by Shazam- protruded her gut. "After they came for me... After they failed... After I... After I killed them..." The Goddess gurgled. "I thought this place... This oh so special place... Might restore me to my glory.... whilst I puppets my troops... whilst my followers continued my work... But the scars... They remain... The Pain... It remains!" She threw her arms to the side like a stropping child. The Tomb was rocked to its foundations "It remains! It lingers! It haunts! Never fading, never flowing, such pain! Maddening, sickening, twisting! What did I do to deserve such Hell? Such misery! I only wanted... I only wanted..."

"Perfection! A world without sin, without secrets, without fear! A world in the palm of a benevolent watchwoman! A loving mother!" Bloody tears burned her cheeks. "You never deserved it! You never deserved my love! You never deserved me! None of you! None of you!" The Goddess stumbled back down towards the Returned. "You just take and taint, take and taint.... just like them. Just like them..." An'Lu'Munus wrapped her trembling fingers around the God Shattering Star. A hurricane of hate and fury, she tightened her grip. Howling, wailing, she pulled the blade from her flesh. The blood of a Deity stained the tiles black. Her wound slipped weeping, drooling, she swung her stolen weapon up onto her shoulder. "They took my freedom, my life, my family, my everything.... I have fought too hard, too long, lost too much.... I refuse to give up now... I will not lose them again... Come Hell... Come Highwater..."

"The Old Gods are dead and damned... and now..."
The Demon grinned. "And now... You shall share in their fate!"

With a fiendish scream, the Goddess lunged towards her foes, swinging her bloody weapons frantically and furiously.

[The God Shattering Star is a tool for mortal hands. Find the Returned. Pass the Blade. Only then shall the Goddess fall.]

[By the Phoenix and the Sword, By the Emerald and the Light...]

@Lucky @Yun Lee @Jeremi @Capri @Takumi @Jeremi

G A R D E N - C A V E
Click
The pocket watch's metallic cover seemed to snap open as soon as it touched down upon Henry's skin. It had been waiting for him, eagerly, hungrily. Light surged forth from clock's face. Its hands span backwards. The drums of war pounded the ears of Alice and Henry. The light grew brighter. Warmer. The foul odour of brimstone burned the nostrils of the companions. The Pocket Watch smothered their senses. It was overwhelming, agonizing. The roar of a great beast rocked them. The earth beneath them boiled and bubbled. Before the pair could aptly react, they were in another place, another time----

T H E N E G A T I V E T H I R D D I M E N S I O N
H E L L
[5 Y E A R S]
"Don't let up! D----aghhh!!" The Maul of an Agent of Chaos obliterated the skull of yet another damned soul unfortunate enough find itself enrolled in the Goddess' arm. Gore showered the its amour. Beneath its helmet, the Agent smiled. One down. Several Trillion to go. The damned soul's cries had not gone unheard. An Emerald Knight emerged from the chaos, its lanced raised high. Vengeance spurred the Goddess' Elite into action. With a triumphal pray, the Knight surged forth, striking the Agent with its 'divine' weapon. Its blade pierced the demon's armour, its under-armour, its flesh, and, with a grotesque splat, it came out the other end. Unperturbed by the weapon piercing its collar, the Agent raised its weapon once again, crushing yet another foe in silent bliss. The War raged on. The Eradicated were forgotten. They were fodder, buying time in a realm beyond time.
Guns roared. Men screamed like children. Gore stained the blood-red sands of the negative third. The battlefield seemed to stretch on Endlessly. An endless conflict in an endless war.
View attachment 11567
Neither Eliphas' army nor the Goddess' slave paid they Returned any heed. Their petty squabble was far more important that two seemingly harmless interlopers. Only one man seemed to stare directly at them. Sticking out like a store thumb, the man stood proud and tall in a pale purple tunic, void of any emblems or insignia. Warm-eyed, fresh-faced and comely, the strange gave the pair a silent wave.

@Takumi @Lucky

U P S T A I R S
"It doesn't matter..." Blink groaned, staring straight through her companions. "Just go, okay?" She rolled her eyes. She signed in disappointment. "Just leave!" Anger. "You don't want to b-be here... please!" Fear. "Come on. Let's go!" Peppy. "Let goooooo already." Bored. "What emotion are you after, Val? Valkie? Vallie? Which one do I call you, again?" A chuckle. A grin. "Doesn't matter. Let's try again."
'Blink' rolled her head to one side, cracking her neck. A simple habit. Only her head kept turning. Turning. Turning. Her features seemed melt from her face. Her skin grew paler, paler, paler. Her eyes rolled. Their colour shifted too. With a creaking groan, her body struck the carpet once again. Only this time, it wasn't her body at all.
View attachment 11568
"Ashe, my friend..." 'Gilbert' groaned, clutching his side. "I don't have much time... If you're ever going to listen to me, listen to me now... Get out of here whilst you still can! You need to----" A beat. An uncharacteristic smile. "It's not going to work, is it? No... No... You're much too sharp for a trick like this.... Yes... You didn't listen to me when I ordered you to leave that traitorous rat, Ferdinand, to die... You're not going to listen to me now. Back during the war... I told you that you'd thank me some day..." The stones beneath the Returned's feet began to tremble and quake. "It appears that day has finally come... That day I am to be proven right..."

The Knight rose to his feet, suddenly unhampered by his 'injuries'. He let his arms swing lose. He hunched over, his wrists dangling.
"If you had left him behind... You'd be both safely tucked away inside the Goddess' Afterlife by now... Instead you're here... About to suffer a horrible fate... When you're both mangled in the final fight against my Mother... Remember... I warned you... and I was right..."

"Last chance. You know where the exit is. Last chance. Before I drive you out..."

@Jeremi @Takumi

That damned pocket watch. Alice turned her head to look at Henry, about to ask 'what did you do?!' When the light from the timepiece engulfed them and transported them to a different time and place.

A place of war and death. Of blood and screams.

Almost immediately, Alice reached out and gripped Henry's shoulder as chaos happened around them. The last thing she wanted was for either to end up separated, even if both fighting factions didn't seem to notice the two Returned nor cared. It was probably better that way.

Someone noticed, however, and she narrowed her eyes a moment as the person stared right at them and waved.

f3c1bfaf87184a56c7c32797c01c68e0e2e3d446.jpg

"Wanna go over and see what his deal is?" Alice spoke to Henry, not taking her eyes off of the purple robed stranger.

@Sark @Lucky @Negative Third

eb4db41227a4f7c74ad0ddbd0942fd94115d07e7.jpg

"!" Ashe tensed as 'Blink' became 'Gilbert' in an almost gruesome display. His grip on his bow grew tight as he shifted to stand protectively near Maddie, eying the doppelganger warily even as they spoke in Gilbert's voice.

fc8292ea4dcfa488973e529087aafcf5c9ce51a9.jpg

"I don't regret not leaving him behind, and I came here on a mission I intend to complete," Ashe responded with narrowed eyes, "whether you live to see your Mother's reign come to an end or not."

Beau and Jester

As soon as the woman spoke, both Beau and Jester had the answer to the question that they had asked a loud. The woman who was standing in front of them was none other than the Goddess who had made everything so diffcult from the start. It was a weird thing to hear her talk about showing kindness to the gods and playing a game, but the more and more they listened, the more and more they noticed that she was definitely not in her right mind. It was something that should have been obvious from the start, but sometimes blind faith will make you believe a person, even when every fiber of your being tells you that you shouldn't trust them. There was an air of silence as they listened to her ramble about the fact that the Gods or maybe they had returned, it was hard to tell with her rambling quite honestly for either woman to know if she was talking to them or herself at this point.

Beau was shocked that the Goddess would ever admit that she was wrong about anything, mostly because she tended to present herself as perfect, especially in the eyes of her followers. Even if everything else was a blur from the time where her will was not her own, she remembered that detail rather vividly ironically. Funny what the mind could remember when it's given the chance. It was something that the Goddess said that made Beau's eye flash with anger. That they could never beat her. The monk had been discounted her whole life and she wasn't about to let some ....thing do the same for her.

Beau noticed the sword, almost immediately as it would be sticking out of her body, the God Shattering Star, it seemed that even if she had destroyed the Gods, they had left something behind that could beat her. It was kind of ironic in way that she thought that she won when she never had been closer to losing then she was in this moment. It wasn't lost on Beau, but it seemed that the temple was a place that could have brought her back, but it seemed that the sword was making her way more infected than she knew... or maybe the Goddess did know, Beau couldn't know what she knew or didn't, only hazard guess. It was funny that at the end of the day, pain was all that she knew. Because time and time again, though she promised to make things better, all the woman had ever brought her and the other Returned was pain and manipulation. It felt fitting to her after all.

Maybe, she couldn't touch the sword and it seemed to be the case as it wasn't be removed... at least that seemed to be the case.

"Such a world could never exist because you have always not known any of those things. You commit sins and secrets and fears all without even giving a second thought to the people who were hurt by what you have done. Love isn't something that you deserve or believe that other people should have to deserve of you. Love is taking a person with all their faults and loving them anyway. Love is being able to forgive and heal and forgot. It's not a thing that you need to ever Deserve. You took all of those things away from you, you were so focused on what YOU wanted that you let the other people go and do whatever felt right to you. You can't lose something that you never had in the first place," Jester replied back to her.

Jester would look over at the Goddess with pity in her eyes as she would look over at Beau. "I got this, get the sword from her," she told Beau, as she summoned her Spiritual Weapon for the first time in a long time. It was a giant....... lollipop.

Beau would move to see if she could disarm the weapon and move in quick movement if she was attacked as Beau would aim to smack the Goddess with a giant Lollipop.

@Sark @Goddess Fight

Henry "Survivor Danger" Hart

Henry hadn't expected the watch to just activate as soon as he touched it, but considering all that he had just been through, he really should have. "All I did was open the watch, I guess it just activates the second that you touch it... which is certainly a feature. I think nobody can really see us, so maybe we should go to the one guy paying attention to us," he replied.

@Sark @Takumi

Back