Side Story The Goddess II: Fate of the Old Gods

The only thing the microphone would be hitting was the back of Jeff's head. "The Hell do you think you're doing? To a man that could snap you in half, no less." He seemed to actually be a bit annoyed that someone tried to snatch his mic. "This isn't a toy, kid, this is a lethal weapon. Government only trusts 'em to people who can handle it." He gave Valkyrie a warning glance. "None of you are touching this microphone, unless you want to see the full extent of what it can do." If CORI didn't otherwise intervene, the mic reverted back to its default state. "So then, miss in the mic? What's your reasoning for hitching a ride?"

@Sark @Takumi @Capri @Jeremi @Crunch

"Who?" Izana hummed in confusion. A moment later, the pieces started to click together. "Oh, yes. Wallace. I saw him run by me on my way up here. He seemed be in quite a state. I believe he was heading towards the courtyard? Or something in that direction... As for any screaming, we'll... I haven't heard anything of the sort! Though you were all being quite loud just now... It is quite possible that admits all the door shooting and arm throwing, you were the only ones who hear this cry? Well, Mr.West I perfectly capable of looking after himself. I'm sure he'll be alright..."

"Somewhere safe, hmm?" Izana puffed out his cheeks. "Let me think... Valla's dungeons are nasty places. They're rarely used, you see. We're a peaceful people, and we don't like bringing our enemies into our secret kingdom. I believe that there are only 2 keys left in the city. One belongs to Queen Kana- and she's always grumpy if you try waking her up at such a late hour- and the other hangs around Catherine's neck. But it appears as if the jury is still out as to whether we should bring the Lady of the Guard into the fold..."

"If you'd rather we left them be, there's an empty broom closet around the corner? I'm sure this young lady would fit inside it quite nicely..."

"You're not putting me in some... dusty hole!" Eponine moaned. "Come on! Don't you guys have laws on how you're supposed to treat your prisoners or something?"

"If we don't I can't remember any!" Izana chuckled, his eyes creasing.

"Okay, okay... Let's not get ahead of ourselves... You want to know where my dad is heading, right? Which means you're going to want to keep me in a pleasant mood. Throw my in a closet and I'll take my secrets to my grave! Bring Kannie into this and you can kiss Yuri goodbye!"

As Valkyrie trashed the 'snake' from side to side, the voice inside the arm began to crackle and fade. After a few strikes, the gauntlet went silent and limp. Cori was gone...

BEEP BEEP

A tone sounded from inside Rei's mic.

BEEP BEEP

There it was again.

BEEP BEEP

And again.

In her onslaught, Valkyrie had cracked the 'snakes' metallic skin. An invisible cloud of nano-machines had drifted from one of its wounds. Whilst the Asgardian had been abusing her lifeless 'corpse', Cori had taken to the skies in search of a new home.

The nano-machines nestled inside Rei's mic.

[Over here, Asgardian!] CORI sung. [Come to CORI! Come on!]

@Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Lucky @Takumi @Yun Lee

"Listen kiddo, I will gladly stick you in a broom closet after breaking both of your hands if you don't behave." Alice grunted.

"I'm not in the mood for your games, trust me, you might not go back to your dad completely in tact." She grumbled. While it wasn't true that she'd try and hurt the girl, Eponine didn't need to know that

Her head snapped up, pupils shrinking as a voice came from Rei's microphone. A voice far too familiar. One that, at one time, brought nothing but pure rage to the blonde.

She took in a sharp breath, and saw red.

"Drop that right now." She snapped with a small hiss.

"You're working with her then?" She asked the girl lowly, barely above a growling whisper.

The only thing the microphone would be hitting was the back of Jeff's head. "The Hell do you think you're doing? To a man that could snap you in half, no less." He seemed to actually be a bit annoyed that someone tried to snatch his mic. "This isn't a toy, kid, this is a lethal weapon. Government only trusts 'em to people who can handle it." He gave Valkyrie a warning glance. "None of you are touching this microphone, unless you want to see the full extent of what it can do." If CORI didn't otherwise intervene, the mic reverted back to its default state. "So then, miss in the mic? What's your reasoning for hitching a ride?"

Alice glared at the device in question, put on edge completely by it. Moreso by what was in it.

Cori should of been destroyed with Murderworld, so why the fuck was she here? Why was she working with some thieves of all things?

Well, given who she was working with before...

"If that bitch is working with them then it can't be anything good." She muttered.

@Sark @Capri @Yun Lee @Jeremi @Everyone

Rei raised an eyebrow as he noticed the way Alice was acting. "You know who this is?" He shook the mic a little to indicate what he was talking about, though he refused to drop it. He could handle himself, but...if it could get Alice upset like that, it was good cause for concern.

@Takumi

“If you aren’t dropping your... uh... government nuclear microphone then at least muffle it. You’ll attract some unwanted attention,” Jeff said, “You could get us killed.”

@Sark @Yun Lee @Takumi

Rei raised an eyebrow as he noticed the way Alice was acting. "You know who this is?" He shook the mic a little to indicate what he was talking about, though he refused to drop it. He could handle himself, but...if it could get Alice upset like that, it was good cause for concern.

@Takumi

"Cori tried to kill me during Champions of the Arena and was persistent. She also worked with the guy who put us there." Alice scowled.

“If you aren’t dropping your... uh... government nuclear microphone then at least muffle it. You’ll attract some unwanted attention,” Jeff said, “You could get us killed.”

@Sark @Yun Lee @Takumi

"Personally, I want to know how she convinced a couple thieves to work with her, but the sooner we get Yuri back the better." She huffed.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Everyone

"Who?" Izana hummed in confusion. A moment later, the pieces started to click together. "Oh, yes. Wallace. I saw him run by me on my way up here. He seemed be in quite a state. I believe he was heading towards the courtyard? Or something in that direction... As for any screaming, we'll... I haven't heard anything of the sort! Though you were all being quite loud just now... It is quite possible that admits all the door shooting and arm throwing, you were the only ones who hear this cry? Well, Mr.West I perfectly capable of looking after himself. I'm sure he'll be alright..."

"Somewhere safe, hmm?" Izana puffed out his cheeks. "Let me think... Valla's dungeons are nasty places. They're rarely used, you see. We're a peaceful people, and we don't like bringing our enemies into our secret kingdom. I believe that there are only 2 keys left in the city. One belongs to Queen Kana- and she's always grumpy if you try waking her up at such a late hour- and the other hangs around Catherine's neck. But it appears as if the jury is still out as to whether we should bring the Lady of the Guard into the fold..."

"If you'd rather we left them be, there's an empty broom closet around the corner? I'm sure this young lady would fit inside it quite nicely..."

"You're not putting me in some... dusty hole!" Eponine moaned. "Come on! Don't you guys have laws on how you're supposed to treat your prisoners or something?"

"If we don't I can't remember any!" Izana chuckled, his eyes creasing.

"Okay, okay... Let's not get ahead of ourselves... You want to know where my dad is heading, right? Which means you're going to want to keep me in a pleasant mood. Throw my in a closet and I'll take my secrets to my grave! Bring Kannie into this and you can kiss Yuri goodbye!"

As Valkyrie trashed the 'snake' from side to side, the voice inside the arm began to crackle and fade. After a few strikes, the gauntlet went silent and limp. Cori was gone...

BEEP BEEP

A tone sounded from inside Rei's mic.

BEEP BEEP

There it was again.

BEEP BEEP

And again.

In her onslaught, Valkyrie had cracked the 'snakes' metallic skin. An invisible cloud of nano-machines had drifted from one of its wounds. Whilst the Asgardian had been abusing her lifeless 'corpse', Cori had taken to the skies in search of a new home.

The nano-machines nestled inside Rei's mic.

[Over here, Asgardian!] CORI sung. [Come to CORI! Come on!]

@Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Lucky @Takumi @Yun Lee

"By Odin's beard!" Valkyrie exclaimed in surprise and anger. While the snake laid dead its voice continued on. Whatever being she was fighting it would not survive for much longer as she grabbed Dragonfang from the ground and made her way towards the Nifelheim demons.

"Thine words ring hollow, demon!" Valkyrie snapped as she readied her blade. "Thine spirit shall be expunged from this world and another of the Goddess' allies will fall!" As Dragonfang was raised the group would notice that Valkyrie was sweating profusely and had a pained expression on her face. The swing was sluggish enough that Rei could quite easily dodge the oncoming attack. It seemed like whatever poison the Valkyrie had received was starting to disappear from her system.

@Sark @Crunch @Capri @Lucky @Takumi @Yun Lee

[Why do we does anyone do anything?] Cori crackled. [I'm hitching a ride so that I might live, and so that others might too live. It's a change of pace for me, but I'm getting used to it. You're looking at the world through a keyhole, Rei. There's something far bigger than you or I going on here. You're a musician, yes? Consider yourself scouted. I know that I can't convince you to open your mind. I know that Niles can't. I know that Eponine can't. Which is why we need to you come with us. Let the Boss speak to you. He'll help you to understand.]

"Listen kiddo, I will gladly stick you in a broom closet after breaking both of your hands if you don't behave." Alice grunted.

"I'm not in the mood for your games, trust me, you might not go back to your dad completely in tact." She grumbled. While it wasn't true that she'd try and hurt the girl, Eponine didn't need to know that

@Sark @Yun Lee @Takumi
Eponine's eyes widened a little. She took a step back from Alice, placing Jeff between her and her verbal abuse her..
The briefing had neglected to mention's Alice's crazy side...

"Je-eff..." Eponine cooed, feigning innocence. "Alice is threatening me grievous bodily harm... Make her stop, pretty please? Be a gentleman!"

"You're working with her then?" She asked the girl lowly, barely above a growling whisper.
"Her?" Eponine murmured. "Geez, way to sound like a bitch... If by her you mean the supercomputer who has saved my ass more times than count? Yeah, we're working together. What's the big deal?"
"Cori tried to kill me during Champions of the Arena and was persistent. She also worked with the guy who put us there." Alice scowled.
[Really? You're still hung up on that?] Cori groaned. [Or have you just forgotten about all the help I gave you in the end game? Did you miss the part where I turned against Arcade? The whole split personality thing? My my... I must've hit you on the head harder than I thought... Or maybe you just didn't watch the reruns. Sure. I tried to kill you. And you almost killed me in return. I believe that makes us even, don't you?]

"Personally, I want to know how she convinced a couple thieves to work with her, but the sooner we get Yuri back the better." She huffed.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Everyone
[Making friends is easier than you make it out to be, Alice,] Cori taunted. [You had no trouble befriending Eli. What changed? What turned you mean? Unless...? Oh, I think I know already...]

[But, in the name of 'friendship', I'll tell you this much. They're holed out in a chamber below the city. You can access it via a passage beneath the fountain. You'll have to hurry, however. You see, the night's festivities haven't quite ended. Some of the Castle's servants brought the party to the streets. It's a carnival down there. Better hurry before someone has a little too much to drink and tries to bathe in its waters. Chop chop, friends! No time to call the guard!]

Izana pouted.

"Hmmm I'm usually a trusting fellow... but even I must confess--- this sounds an awful lot like a trap to me. I can still go and fetch Gunter, if you wish? Or Catherine or Seteth or..." Izana turned pale for a moment. Valkyrie was getting awfully close. His raised his hand before his chest and called forth a great, raging wind the low the Asgardian's assault. That should buy him some time. "Or I could return to my chambers and fetch my staff?"

@Jeremi @Crunch @Takumi @Yun Lee @Capri

[Why do we does anyone do anything?] Cori crackled. [I'm hitching a ride so that I might live, and so that others might too live. It's a change of pace for me, but I'm getting used to it. You're looking at the world through a keyhole, Rei. There's something far bigger than you or I going on here. You're a musician, yes? Consider yourself scouted. I know that I can't convince you to open your mind. I know that Niles can't. I know that Eponine can't. Which is why we need to you come with us. Let the Boss speak to you. He'll help you to understand.]

Eponine's eyes widened a little. She took a step back from Alice, placing Jeff between her and her verbal abuse her..

"Je-eff..." Eponine cooed, feigning innocence. "Alice is threatening me grievous bodily harm... Make her stop, pretty please? Be a gentleman!"

"Her?"
Eponine murmured. "Geez, way to sound like a bitch... If by her you mean the supercomputer who has saved my ass more times than count? Yeah, we're working together. What's the big deal?"

[Really? You're still hung up on that?] Cori groaned. [Or have you just forgotten about all the help I gave you in the end game? Did you miss the part where I turned against Arcade? The whole split personality thing? My my... I must've hit you on the head harder than I thought... Or maybe you just didn't watch the reruns. Sure. I tried to kill you. And you almost killed me in return. I believe that makes us even, don't you?]

[Making friends is easier than you make it out to be, Alice,]
Cori taunted. [You had no trouble befriending Eli. What changed? What turned you mean? Unless...? Oh, I think I know already...]

[But, in the name of 'friendship', I'll tell you this much. They're holed out in a chamber below the city. You can access it via a passage beneath the fountain. You'll have to hurry, however. You see, the night's festivities haven't quite ended. Some of the Castle's servants brought the party to the streets. It's a carnival down there. Better hurry before someone has a little too much to drink and tries to bathe in its waters. Chop chop, friends! No time to call the guard!]

Izana pouted.

"Hmmm I'm usually a trusting fellow... but even I must confess--- this sounds an awful lot like a trap to me. I can still go and fetch Gunter, if you wish? Or Catherine or Seteth or..." Izana turned pale for a moment. Valkyrie was getting awfully close. His raised his hand before his chest and called forth a great, raging wind the low the Asgardian's assault. That should buy him some time. "Or I could return to my chambers and fetch my staff?"

"Brat, you're not the first or last I've said some shit like that to. Come up with another insult while you're at it, yeah?" Alice rolled her eyes, but didn't move any closer to Eponine. Having calmed some, she rubbed at her temples again. She looked up at Valkyrie when she spoke though, growing tense. Alice reached for Rei, hoping to pull him away from Valkyrie's strike. She glanced down to the microphone her mouth set in a thin line.

"I hold a grudge, what can I say? Didn't hear about a split personality, I was too busy trying to keep myself from getting killed on that last day, and sorry if I mostly remember Eli dying in my arms to remember much else. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was one of your experiments that did it too." Alice said with narrowed eyes.

"What makes you think I'd want to watch that shit? Really? I have enough memories of that place on my mind of those friends dying, and having Arcade use my mentor's likeness to mess with my head on top of that, thanks." She crossed her arms, before glancing to Izana.

"I'd say try for Gunther or Seteth, and grab your staff on the way. I don't trust it either, but they want us to come to them anyway." Alice shrugged. Was it a trap? Most likely. Did she trust Cori as far as she could throw her? Hell no. She couldn't bring herself to do so, especially as tired and in a bad enough mood as it was.

"Unless the brat has any objections to either of them too? The longer we stay in this hall, the quicker it'd probably take the big guy to come charging at us." She drawled as she glanced to Eponine.

@Sark @Capri @Jeremi @Yun Lee @Crunch

Last edited:
Jeff, although a kind soul, wasn't one to bow down to every complaint one made.

"Well, you're lucky to be alive. You're a prisoner, not a billionaire celebrity. Deal with it, you can handle some pain."

@Sark

"Her?"
Eponine murmured. "Geez, way to sound like a bitch... If by her you mean the supercomputer who has saved my ass more times than count? Yeah, we're working together. What's the big deal?"

[Making friends is easier than you make it out to be, Alice,]
Cori taunted. [You had no trouble befriending Eli. What changed? What turned you mean? Unless...? Oh, I think I know already...]

Izana pouted.

The raging wind caught Valkyrie by surprise as she was flung into the nearby wall and crashing through it. There was silence for a good long while before they heard a groan from the other side of the wall. Through the wall stepped Valkyrie looking haggard but otherwise alive.

u5MAuTx.png

"It would seem..." Valkyrie grunted. "The poison has escaped my body." She used the wall as support moving forward. "Friends, in my rage I assaulted you. Didst any get hurt?"

@Sark @Crunch @Takumi @Yun Lee @Capri

"Brat, you're not the first or last I've said some shit like that to. Come up with another insult while you're at it, yeah?"
"Okay," Eponine shrugged. She joined her thumbs together to form a canvas and looked Alice up and down. She perched her tongue upon her lips and hummed. "Let me see... you're forehead's kinda big and your face looks really long from certain angles. Like, really long. Are you sure you're not related to one of those Easter Island head-things? Because... man! It's so long..."
"I'd say try for Gunther or Seteth, and grab your staff on the way. I don't trust it either, but they want us to come to them anyway." Alice shrugged. Was it a trap? Most likely. Did she trust Cori as far as she could throw her? Hell no. She couldn't bring herself to do so, especially as tired and in a bad enough mood as it was.

"Unless the brat has any objections to either of them too? The longer we stay in this hall, the quicker it'd probably take the big guy to come charging at us." She drawled as she glanced to Eponine.
"Preferably not Seteth?" Eponine added. "Ideally? We want this gathering to stay intimate. We don't want Izana there. We don't want Gunter or Kannie or anyone. This isn’t 'bring your dad to work day'. We want the Returned. You can keep the Chosen—“

"Are you sure? To be frank, I don't really want them..."

"Look, if you must bring someone? Bring Gunter. At least he's quiet...”

@Jeremi @Crunch @Yun Lee @Capri @Takumi

"Okay," Eponine shrugged. She joined her thumbs together to form a canvas and looked Alice up and down. She perched her tongue upon her lips and hummed. "Let me see... you're forehead's kinda big and your face looks really long from certain angles. Like, really long. Are you sure you're not related to one of those Easter Island head-things? Because... man! It's so long..."

"Preferably not Seteth?" Eponine added. "Ideally? We want this gathering to stay intimate. We don't want Izana there. We don't want Gunter or Kannie or anyone. This isn’t 'bring your dad to work day'. We want the Returned. You can keep the Chosen—“

"Thine words imply good faith, but thou actions are clearly those of villainy," Valkyrie had made her way over to the group and even in her hunched state, she still towered over Eponine. "You storm the keep. Poison me, attack the others, yet now that you lost you fake sincerity? Thine forked tongue weaves lies upon lies."

She turned to Izana. "Does yon keep have a dungeon? Perhaps a moment of stillness will give this child some pause."

"I'll give you the point on that one." Alice huffed, slightly amused. She hadn't been serious, but the kid surprised her a little.

So, they just wanted the Returned? Yeah, that didn't seem shady at all.

"Bring your dad to work day sounds awful, no thanks." Alice shrugged. Gunther huh? So they knew him? Did he know them before working for Kana? Or was there some fallout before the Returned showed up?

Either way, they had some connection to the Goddess right? This whole situation felt wrong.

"Thine words imply good faith, but thou actions are clearly those of villainy," Valkyrie had made her way over to the group and even in her hunched state, she still towered over Eponine. "You storm the keep. Poison me, attack the others, yet now that you lost you fake sincerity? Thine forked tongue weaves lies upon lies."

She turned to Izana. "Does yon keep have a dungeon? Perhaps a moment of stillness will give this child some pause."

"Well, the Brat's dad took Yuri, and I'm sure daddy dearest wants her back...well, unless he's anything like my old man was anyway." Alice sighed. She couldn't help but wonder if he left the girl on purpose or not.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Lucky @Everyone

Jeff, although a kind soul, wasn't one to bow down to every complaint one made.

"Well, you're lucky to be alive. You're a prisoner, not a billionaire celebrity. Deal with it, you can handle some pain."

@Sark
"We doth be villains, aye?" Nina rolled her eyes and mimicked Valkyrie's voice. "We doth be vile and venomous and all things ugly! Please. If it weren't for Odin, you'd still be stuck inside the Sleeping Death. Does that sound like something some forked tongued fiend would do, hmm?"

In the absence of Jeff's protection, Nina slumped her shoulders and sighed.

"Look, if my Dad had knocked on the palace doors, do you think the guards would've let him inside? Even Izana couldn't look past our Nohrian traits. To people like him, we're nothing but 'enemy agents', 'traitors'. They don't care where our loyalties lie now. The Vallites are a suspicious people. They would have never listened to our pleas. We needed to come to you directly. We needed to take you to some neutral ground and state our case there. This would have been wayyyy easier if you guys just stayed in bed, okay? The tranqs would have worn us by now! You'd already be in the city, and the Slayer would still have both his arms! If you hadn't started tossing Balthus' bed about--"

"Gggghhhrrrmmm?" Balthus snorted awake. "Someone say my name?"

He rolled his legs over the edge of his bed and let out a long, exaggerated yawn. The King of Grappling rubbed his eyes and assessed the ruined room around him. All these scattered clothes and wooden splinters... hey, it reminded him of home!

"I feel like I've missed something... have I missed something?"

Nina buried her head in her hands.

"Uughhh.... This whole conversation could have been avoided if you just followed my dad like you were supposed to, okay? You could've just grabbed some horses and chased him through the city. Again, you could be at the fountain already. Instead, here we are. Pointing fingers and complaining. Can you just lock me up and get going already? Please?"

"No time!" Izana hummed. "By the time I grab my staff, summon Gunter and prepare the horses... and probably a wagon to carry the Doomslayer, the night's celebrations will have no doubt grown rowdy. Our foes would have a considerable advantage amidst that chaos and confusion. I suggest we stick to Alice's original plan-- We'll have to bring this young thief with us---"

"Just call me Eponine... geez..."

"--And see if she holds any value as a bargaining chip. With any luck, we'll have Yuri back before we know it, and everything can go back to normal! I'll meet you by the stables!"

After a few moments of waiting, a cheerful Izana and a sour-faced Gunter emerged from the one of the castle's crystal doorways. After a brief, whisper-shouting argument, Izana had broken Gunter like a wild horse. The Queen's guard and retainer kept his arms folder over his chest and his eyes pinned to cobblestone road. In his efforts to convince Gunter to join him, Izana must've said something he shouldn't have. The Great Knight kept the mage in the corner of his eye for the remainder of his journey

"We're all here? Excellent!" Izana clapped his hands. He quickly countered off the gathered fighters. His finger stopped as it drifted over the Doom Slayer. "Ah! Slayer! I have something for you!" The mage reached into his long, billowing sleeve. He removed the Slayer's bloody, severed hand. "I took the liberty of casting a quick reparation spell on this lost appendage of yours. Try to take better care of it next time, yes? Oh, and make sure you're holding it the right way when you're reattaching it, yes?"

Bound in a pair of shimmering, barely-used pair of hand cuffs, Eponine stepped out from behind the pair.

"Let's get this over with..." She muttered to herself. "Alright then, Grampa. Do you need directions into the city? Need me to hold you hand?"
View attachment 5844
"I'm perfectly capable," Gunter growled. "I've been into the city many a time. I suggest you remain quiet, child."

"My my, is that a hint of pity in your voice, Gunter?" Eponine chuckled. "I never thought I'd see the day. And don't call me 'child', 'kay? I'm 17. I'm practically an adult!"

"'Practically' is not 'literally'. So long as you in my care, you will be treated like a child. You will be pitied like child. You will be reprimanded like a child." Gunter's voice grumbled like gravel. "Now hush. Even my patience is not unlimited."

"Wow. You really don't speak to kids much, do you? The more you push, the more I'll pull, you know that, right?"

"You will learn to behave, girl. Act out again and Miss Swayne will surely burn you bald..."

"Fine! 'Yes Sir', or whatever... Wh--" Gunter reached down toward Eponine and picked her up by her chains. "Put me d--" He tossed her up onto the back of his horse. Confused, her mouth agape, Gunter took advantage of Eponine's silence and turned back towards the Returned.

"Our mission is simple. Reach the fountain. Rescue Yuri. Once Yuri is secure, we can move onto capturing his kidnapper." Gunter wrapped is fingers around the hilt of his axe and cracked his neck. "According to the thief's AI, the entrance to their headquarters is hidden beneath a fountain in the heart of the city. Right now, we have no reason to doubt her."

[Thank you! At last..] Cori hummed. If she had eyes, she'd have no doubt sent a snide glance in Alice's direction. [The decency I deserve...]

"Had we wanted you guys dead, we would have whacked Valk with something stronger." Eponine added matter-of-fact-ly. "And Niles would've stabbed Yuri. It's not a matter of trust, but a matter of logic!"

"Though," Gunter added sternly. "Alice has made the AI's character clear. We must expect the unexpected. We must expect tricks--"

[I always preferred the term 'death trap', but sure, 'trick' works...]

"--Right now, the ball is in our court. We have Eponine. We have C.O.R.I.. I doubt Niles' troop will let us enter negotiations with such an advantage, however. We can expect some resistance. Stay vigilant. Stay alert. If you see anything suspicious-- anything at all-- be sure to let your fellow riders know. On nights like these, knowledge of your surroundings can mean the difference between life and d--"

[Again, if we wanted you dead you would be... Niles' men will be trying to rescue us. Killing you would be horribly counter productive. So suspicious, so unforgiving... you're worse than Swayne... ]

"Although our journey will be brief--" Gunter interjected, ignoring Cori's interruptions. "We must stay in formation, no matter the cost. Eponine will ride with me--"

"Do I have to? Are there really not pretty gatekeepers who can guard me?"

"--And Rei will continued to guard his microphone. Keeping our hostages safe will be integral to the success of this operation. Izana will lead the charge. Eponine and I will ride close behind. Rei will ride beside me. The remainder of our troop will tasked his guarding our flanks. Now mount up!" He commanded, throwing his leg over the side of his horse. "Pick a horse you trust and get moving. If you have any questions- any questions at all- ask them now. We can't risk making a scene once we're in the city."

@Jeremi @Crunch @Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

"We doth be villains, aye?" Nina rolled her eyes and mimicked Valkyrie's voice. "We doth be vile and venomous and all things ugly! Please. If it weren't for Odin, you'd still be stuck inside the Sleeping Death. Does that sound like something some forked tongued fiend would do, hmm?"

"Look, if my Dad had knocked on the palace doors, do you think the guards would've let him inside? Even Izana couldn't look past our Nohrian traits. To people like him, we're nothing but 'enemy agents', 'traitors'. They don't care where our loyalties lie now. The Vallites are a suspicious people. They would have never listened to our pleas. We needed to come to you directly. We needed to take you to some neutral ground and state our case there. This would have been wayyyy easier if you guys just stayed in bed, okay? The tranqs would have worn us by now! You'd already be in the city, and the Slayer would still have both his arms! If you hadn't started tossing Balthus' bed about--"

He rolled his legs over the edge of his bed and let out a long, exaggerated yawn. The King of Grappling rubbed his eyes and assessed the ruined room around him. All these scattered clothes and wooden splinters... hey, it reminded him of home!

"Uughhh.... This whole conversation could have been avoided if you just followed my dad like you were supposed to, okay? You could've just grabbed some horses and chased him through the city. Again, you could be at the fountain already. Instead, here we are. Pointing fingers and complaining. Can you just lock me up and get going already? Please?"

"No time!" Izana hummed. "By the time I grab my staff, summon Gunter and prepare the horses... and probably a wagon to carry the Doomslayer, the night's celebrations will have no doubt grown rowdy. Our foes would have a considerable advantage amidst that chaos and confusion. I suggest we stick to Alice's original plan-- We'll have to bring this young thief with us---"

"--And see if she holds any value as a bargaining chip. With any luck, we'll have Yuri back before we know it, and everything can go back to normal! I'll meet you by the stables!"

After a few moments of waiting, a cheerful Izana and a sour-faced Gunter emerged from the one of the castle's crystal doorways. After a brief, whisper-shouting argument, Izana had broken Gunter like a wild horse. The Queen's guard and retainer kept his arms folder over his chest and his eyes pinned to cobblestone road. In his efforts to convince Gunter to join him, Izana must've said something he shouldn't have. The Great Knight kept the mage in the corner of his eye for the remainder of his journey

"We're all here? Excellent!" Izana clapped his hands. He quickly countered off the gathered fighters. His finger stopped as it drifted over the Doom Slayer. "Ah! Slayer! I have something for you!" The mage reached into his long, billowing sleeve. He removed the Slayer's bloody, severed hand. "I took the liberty of casting a quick reparation spell on this lost appendage of yours. Try to take better care of it next time, yes? Oh, and make sure you're holding it the right way when you're reattaching it, yes?"

Bound in a pair of shimmering, barely-used pair of hand cuffs, Eponine stepped out from behind the pair.

"Let's get this over with..." She muttered to herself. "Alright then, Grampa. Do you need directions into the city? Need me to hold you hand?"
View attachment 5844
"I'm perfectly capable," Gunter growled. "I've been into the city many a time. I suggest you remain quiet, child."

"My my, is that a hint of pity in your voice, Gunter?" Eponine chuckled. "I never thought I'd see the day. And don't call me 'child', 'kay? I'm 17. I'm practically an adult!"

"'Practically' is not 'literally'. So long as you in my care, you will be treated like a child. You will be pitied like child. You will be reprimanded like a child." Gunter's voice grumbled like gravel. "Now hush. Even my patience is not unlimited."

"Wow. You really don't speak to kids much, do you? The more you push, the more I'll pull, you know that, right?"

"You will learn to behave, girl. Act out again and Miss Swayne will surely burn you bald..."

"Fine! 'Yes Sir', or whatever... Wh--" Gunter reached down toward Eponine and picked her up by her chains. "Put me d--" He tossed her up onto the back of his horse. Confused, her mouth agape, Gunter took advantage of Eponine's silence and turned back towards the Returned.

"Our mission is simple. Reach the fountain. Rescue Yuri. Once Yuri is secure, we can move onto capturing his kidnapper." Gunter wrapped is fingers around the hilt of his axe and cracked his neck. "According to the thief's AI, the entrance to their headquarters is hidden beneath a fountain in the heart of the city. Right now, we have no reason to doubt her."

[Thank you! At last..] Cori hummed. If she had eyes, she'd have no doubt sent a snide glance in Alice's direction. [The decency I deserve...]

"Had we wanted you guys dead, we would have whacked Valk with something stronger." Eponine added matter-of-fact-ly. "And Niles would've stabbed Yuri. It's not a matter of trust, but a matter of logic!"

"Though," Gunter added sternly. "Alice has made the AI's character clear. We must expect the unexpected. We must expect tricks--"

"--Right now, the ball is in our court. We have Eponine. We have C.O.R.I.. I doubt Niles' troop will let us enter negotiations with such an advantage, however. We can expect some resistance. Stay vigilant. Stay alert. If you see anything suspicious-- anything at all-- be sure to let your fellow riders know. On nights like these, knowledge of your surroundings can mean the difference between life and d--"

[Again, if we wanted you dead you would be... Niles' men will be trying to rescue us. Killing you would be horribly counter productive. So suspicious, so unforgiving... you're worse than Swayne... ]

"Although our journey will be brief--" Gunter interjected, ignoring Cori's interruptions. "We must stay in formation, no matter the cost. Eponine will ride with me--"

"--And Rei will continued to guard his microphone. Keeping our hostages safe will be integral to the success of this operation. Izana will lead the charge. Eponine and I will ride close behind. Rei will ride beside me. The remainder of our troop will tasked his guarding our flanks. Now mount up!" He commanded, throwing his leg over the side of his horse. "Pick a horse you trust and get moving. If you have any questions- any questions at all- ask them now. We can't risk making a scene once we're in the city."

Instead of looking angry, Valkyrie smiled and patted Eponine on the head.

0W1ZgYU.png

"Aye, I understand children and thine way to not express yourself in a coherent way." Then the scene rapidly moved on with them all gathering for a trip on horseback.

lVwmJYB.png

"Tis clearly a trap, but if this was their way to get our attention, tis also clear that these thieves don't quite know what they are doing." She jumped onto the back of a nearby horse. "Let us move and get Yuri back to us!"

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

View attachment 5844

"Y'all hear something?" Alice snarked once Cori spoke up, before crossing her arms as Eponine and Cori spoke their case.

"Either way, we're still headed to wherever the fuck you want us to go, so I guess that's more or less mission accomplished for you two." She added with a half shrug.

When Gunther brought up riding horseback she side eyed one of the horses for a moment before climbing on. Not much left to do but hope for the best.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Lucky @Crunch

Last edited:
Jester Lavorre and Henry Hart

" Oh horses, I loved horses. My friends and I lost them before. I'm going to name this one Crapper Junior," she replied, climbing onto the horse excitedly.

"
Did she just.... never mind. Would now be a bad time to mention that I never have ridden a horse? Any tips on that?"

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Crunch

Instead of looking angry, Valkyrie smiled and patted Eponine on the head.

"Aye, I understand children and thine way to not express yourself in a coherent way." Then the scene rapidly moved on with them all gathering for a trip on horseback.

"Tis clearly a trap, but if this was their way to get our attention, tis also clear that these thieves don't quite know what they are doing." She jumped onto the back of a nearby horse. "Let us move and get Yuri back to us!"
"Ugh!" Eponine groaned. "If you could just... not?!"
She slapped Valkyrie's hand away and did her best to repair her hair.
"Gods, I can't be seen like this..." She cursed under her breath. "I hope that damn horse bucks you into a ravine..."

"Either way, we're still headed to wherever the fuck you want us to go, so I guess that's more or less mission accomplished for you two." She added with a half shrug.

When Gunther brought up riding horseback she side eyed one of the horses for a moment before climbing on. Not much left to do but hope for the best.
"Oh, yay, we won..." Eponine muttered sarcastically, still clumsily tidying up her stray hairs with her tied hands. "But at what cost? Ughh..."

Jester Lavorre and Henry Hart

" Oh horses, I loved horses. My friends and I lost them before. I'm going to name this one Crapper Junior," she replied, climbing onto the horse excitedly.

"
Did she just.... never mind. Would now be a bad time to mention that I never have ridden a horse? Any tips on that?"
"Keep your back straight." Gunter replied to Henry without so much as glancing in his direction. His eyes remained fixed on Izana. "Lead the beast with certainty. Your horse can sense your hesitation. If you want it to listen to your directions, you must command it without fear. Beyond that? The horse will do the work for you." The Great Knight flicked his reins and stirrups. With a triumphant 'yahh!' he commanded his horse to sprint. Izana followed suit and the convoy began to charge towards the city.
The road down the city was smooth and short. The wagon-worn path was easy on the horses' hooves, allowing them to ride quickly and steadily. The street was quiet. Almost too quiet. There were now cooing owls. No screeching bats. Just the like rustling of leaves and the roar of a distant celebration.

Gunter raised his head a little. Something had pricked his ears. Eponine stifled a giggle.

"The trees..." He whispered to himself. "The trees!" He called out to his travelling party.

"It's an ambush! Stay in formation! Prepare for a fight!"

A cloud of dust rose from the path before them three rows of thick chains sprung out from the dirt. Their foes were attempting to trip their horses.

"Redouble your speed!" Gunter commanded, flicking his reins once again. "We'll have to jump them!"

"WHAT??" Eponine cried out in terror. "No! This is the part where you slow to a stop and get captured and--"

"YAHH!"

"NO! Don't say 'yahh' again!"

The Horse tripled its speed. As you raced past the trees that lined the path, a few shimmering objects would catch you eyes. Eyes. Your foes were watching, concealed by veil of leaves. A shuriken struck Izana's chest and lodged itself in one of the protective pads he wore beneath his robes. A trickle of poison dripped down his torso.

"Curious..." He muttered, unshaken by the sudden attack. He ran his finger across the blade and liked it clean. "Hmmm yes... that's definitely poison alright. A tranquilizer, by the feel of things. Try not get stabbed, darlings!"

A few more shurikens whizzed over head. With every pound of your beast's hooves, the chain road block was growing closer and closer. You were trapped between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:

"Ugh!" Eponine groaned. "If you could just... not?!"
She slapped Valkyrie's hand away and did her best to repair her hair.
"Gods, I can't be seen like this..." She cursed under her breath. "I hope that damn horse bucks you into a ravine..."

"Oh, yay, we won..." Eponine muttered sarcastically, still clumsily tidying up her stray hairs with her tied hands. "But at what cost? Ughh..."

"Keep your back straight." Gunter replied to Jeff without so much as glancing in his direction. His eyes remained fixed on Izana. "Lead the beast with certainty. Your horse can sense your hesitation. If you want it to listen to your directions, you must command it without fear. Beyond that? The horse will do the work for you." The Great Knight flicked his reins and stirrups. With a triumphant 'yahh!' he commanded his horse to sprint. Izana followed suit and the convoy began to charge towards the city.
The road down the city was smooth and short. The wagon-worn path was easy on the horses' hooves, allowing them to ride quickly and steadily. The street was quiet. Almost too quiet. There were now cooing owls. No screeching bats. Just the like rustling of leaves and the roar of a distant celebration.

Gunter raised his head a little. Something had pricked his ears. Eponine stifled a giggle.

"The trees..." He whispered to himself. "The trees!" He called out to his travelling party.

"It's an ambush! Stay in formation! Prepare for a fight!"

A cloud of dust rose from the path before them three rows of thick chains sprung out from the dirt. Their foes were attempting to trip their horses.

"Redouble your speed!" Gunter commanded, flicking his reins once again. "We'll have to jump them!"

"WHAT??" Eponine cried out in terror. "No! This is the part where you slow to a stop and get captured and--"

"YAHH!"

"NO! Don't say 'yahh' again!"

The Horse tripled its speed. As you raced past the trees that lined the path, a few shimmering objects would catch you eyes. Eyes. Your foes were watching, concealed by veil of leaves. A shuriken struck Izana's chest and lodged itself in one of the protective pads he wore beneath his robes. A trickle of poison dripped down his torso.

"Curious..." He muttered, unshaken by the sudden attack. He ran his finger across the blade and liked it clean. "Hmmm yes... that's definitely poison alright. A tranquilizer, by the feel of things. Try not get stabbed, darlings!"

A few more shurikens whizzed over head. With every pound of your beast's hooves, the chain road block was growing closer and closer. You were trapped between a rock and a hard place.

"Onward!" Valkyrie shouted as she and her stead charged forward. Eponine would be disappointed to see that she handled her horse like a natural. "Thine trickery will not contain the Valkyrie!" She ducked under any of the oncoming shurikens and once she was close enough ordered her horse to jump.

"Your strength is unmatched fair steed! Do not let these ruffians entrap you or your fellow partners!"

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

Back