Side Story The Goddess II: Fate of the Old Gods

"Ugh!" Eponine groaned. "If you could just... not?!"
She slapped Valkyrie's hand away and did her best to repair her hair.
"Gods, I can't be seen like this..." She cursed under her breath. "I hope that damn horse bucks you into a ravine..."

Did that guy really just lick poison? Tranquilizer or not what the fuck was he thinking?
"Oh, yay, we won..." Eponine muttered sarcastically, still clumsily tidying up her stray hairs with her tied hands. "But at what cost? Ughh..."

"Keep your back straight." Gunter replied to Henry without so much as glancing in his direction. His eyes remained fixed on Izana. "Lead the beast with certainty. Your horse can sense your hesitation. If you want it to listen to your directions, you must command it without fear. Beyond that? The horse will do the work for you." The Great Knight flicked his reins and stirrups. With a triumphant 'yahh!' he commanded his horse to sprint. Izana followed suit and the convoy began to charge towards the city.
The road down the city was smooth and short. The wagon-worn path was easy on the horses' hooves, allowing them to ride quickly and steadily. The street was quiet. Almost too quiet. There were now cooing owls. No screeching bats. Just the like rustling of leaves and the roar of a distant celebration.

Gunter raised his head a little. Something had pricked his ears. Eponine stifled a giggle.

"The trees..." He whispered to himself. "The trees!" He called out to his travelling party.

"It's an ambush! Stay in formation! Prepare for a fight!"

A cloud of dust rose from the path before them three rows of thick chains sprung out from the dirt. Their foes were attempting to trip their horses.

"Redouble your speed!" Gunter commanded, flicking his reins once again. "We'll have to jump them!"

"WHAT??" Eponine cried out in terror. "No! This is the part where you slow to a stop and get captured and--"

"YAHH!"

"NO! Don't say 'yahh' again!"

The Horse tripled its speed. As you raced past the trees that lined the path, a few shimmering objects would catch you eyes. Eyes. Your foes were watching, concealed by veil of leaves. A shuriken struck Izana's chest and lodged itself in one of the protective pads he wore beneath his robes. A trickle of poison dripped down his torso.

"Curious..." He muttered, unshaken by the sudden attack. He ran his finger across the blade and liked it clean. "Hmmm yes... that's definitely poison alright. A tranquilizer, by the feel of things. Try not get stabbed, darlings!"

A few more shurikens whizzed over head. With every pound of your beast's hooves, the chain road block was growing closer and closer. You were trapped between a rock and a hard place.

@Jeremi @Crunch @Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

Was that guy licking poison? Really? Tranquilizer or not you'd think it'd still fuck him up.

Huffing under her breath, Alice urged her horse to move faster and jump over the chains while trying to duck out of the way of the shuriken, or deflect them with a flick of her knife.

@Sark @Jeremi @Crunch @Yun Lee @Lucky @Capri @Everyone

As if riding a horse for the first time wasn't difficult enough, Rei now had to do it while avoiding ninjas. Right. Okay. The conman gritted his teeth and tried to stay low on the animal, keeping his mic, and by extension CORI, out of sight and out of mind to their assailants. Well that, and...he was not a tiny man.

@Sark @Takumi @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri

Deep breaths. In and out.

Blood, as hot as molten steel, pumped through every vein. Red was the horizon through his shell. Focused was the product of his tempered rage.

It was time to go.

[CRAAAAAASH!]

A thundering sound, not unlike that of a cannonball ripping through wood and leaves, nearly threw the horsemen off their balance. Another rider had joined their contingent, it seemed, as a greenish blur surged from a torn-open clearing in the brush with inhuman speed. He flexed his arm out; a long thin chain sent spiraling out from beneath two shotgun barrels towards a branch that hung over the path. The chain brought him up off the ground towards the stem, to which he quickly shifted his grip from the gun to the branch itself.

Like an armored, man-sized ape, the figure swung from one branch to another, quickly placing him ahead of the shadowy eyes that flung shurikens from the darkness. Before the hidden figures could react, two barrels leveled in their direction - from above.

[BOOM! BOOM!]

Red-hot pellets ripped through the treeline with two gunshots, tearing apart wood and flesh alike. The figure landed back on the ground and broke into a maddened sprint - heavy, ragged breaths wheezing from beneath his helmet. He turned to look back at his allies.

It was the Doom Slayer. Except he wasn't on a horse.

View attachment 5877

The sight was something to behold. The Slayer maintained a steady sprint alongside the galloping horses, nothing pounding against the ground beyond his own two feet. He'd maneuver throughout the galloping horde with the Praetor's jump boots, jets of flame propelling the man from one end of the convoy to the other as if air resistance didn't exist as he dashed through the air, using nearby trees as propelling points to gain some airtime.

The worst thing was that not only was he keeping up - he was surpassing them.

The Slayer wordlessly nodded to Gunther as he sprinted alongside his horse, his jump boots engaging once more to propel him towards another overhanging branch. With one hand, he swung off the branch further into the air above the trio of chains, exploiting his falling momentum to grasp at the small, black hilt on his belt.

View attachment 5875

The air around him lit up in a telltale crimson glow. The Crucible's blade was alight.

[FWWWWSH!]

With a single-handed slice, the Slayer sawed through the chain block like a seething knife through melting butter. He'd twirl the energy blade back to an upright position, turning back to those few horses who hadn't already jumped the roadblock, motioning them to pick up the speed and charge straight through.

@Sark @Takumi @Jeremi @Yun Lee @Capri

"Onward!" Valkyrie shouted as she and her stead charged forward. Eponine would be disappointed to see that she handled her horse like a natural. "Thine trickery will not contain the Valkyrie!" She ducked under any of the oncoming shurikens and once she was close enough ordered her horse to jump.

"Your strength is unmatched fair steed! Do not let these ruffians entrap you or your fellow partners!"
Was that guy licking poison? Really? Tranquilizer or not you'd think it'd still fuck him up.

Huffing under her breath, Alice urged her horse to move faster and jump over the chains while trying to duck out of the way of the shuriken, or deflect them with a flick of her knife.

@Sark @Jeremi @Crunch @Yun Lee @Lucky @Capri @Everyone
He'd twirl the energy blade back to an upright position, turning back to those few horses who hadn't already jumped the roadblock, motioning them to pick up the speed and charge straight through.
Hooves pounded. Sweat poured. Horses snarled.
Despite the Ninja's best efforts, Gunter, Alice and Valkyrie successfully cleared the river of chains. The moment they landed, the sound of shattering steel rattled down the tree-tunnel. The Slayer's attempts to shatter the chains had proven successful, clearing the path for the remaining horses.

"You're insane!" Nina hissed, holding onto her saddle for dear life. "The lot of you! You're all mad!"

The orange glow of the town was burning in the distance. It couldn't have been more than a few moments away. You could practically hear the pounding drums and joyful songs. You were close. So close!

BOOM

A flaming shuriken tore through the trunk of the titanic trees that loomed by the side of the road. A flurry of splinters washed over the Returned. The Goliath began to creak and groan.

"INCOMING!" Gunter growled, yanking upon his reins.

The tree came crashing down upon the road. A great white beast emerged from the shadows. With a single kick, he sent the fallen wooden pillar skidding across the sand, dividing the path in two. On one side, Gunter rode, alone with nobody bar Eponine and the mysterious, white creature for company. On the other, the returned continued to speed.

Gunter didn't dare to waste another moment. He rode as close to the fallen barrier as he dared. He reached out behind him and pried Eponine's tied hands from the edge of her saddle.

"What are you--?"
The thief protested. Her objections were cut short. A scream burned in their place. Gunter tossed Eponine over the fallen barrier.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

She landed stomach first on the back of Alice's horse.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?"

"Take her!" Gunter demanded. "We can't let her fall back into their hands! I'll deal with the beast!"

His eyes darted to Izana for a moment.

"And stay on your guard! If I am victorious, I'll meet you by the fountain! Go!"

Yanking upon his reins once again, Gunter vanished into the trees. The great beast lumbered after after him, a great broad sword gripped tightly in its clawed fingers. A troop of ninjas followed a few meters behind it...

The Town-
Wading through the town's crowds was like wading through mud. Travelling on horseback was no longer an option. The horde of celebrants smelt of spices and champagne. Handfuls of colored powders were tossed high above the streets. The vibrant dust formed a gradient haze as it slowly settled back down upon the ground. You could hear cheering. Laughing. Beating drums. Singing. The rhythmic pounding of dancing feet. It was enough to overwhelm anyone's senses.

The current of the crowd seemed to directed you further and further into the city. For a moment or two, you felt yourself being swept away from from your allies, lost in the flow of the stream. But the dancing bodies were all guiding you in the same direction. After a few minutes of pushing against the crowd, you caught a glimpse of it:

The fountain. A familiar, cloaked figure was relaxing in its waters.

"Ah! So you're here at last!"
Niles chuckled. Yuri was nowhere to be seen. "You took your time! Who did you bring? Is everybody here? I've been waiting here for way too long. Come a little closer. Check out how wrinkled my fingers are..."

Despite the Ninja's best efforts, Gunter, Alice and Valkyrie successfully cleared the river of chains. The moment they landed, the sound of shattering steel rattled down the tree-tunnel. The Slayer's attempts to shatter the chains had proven successful, clearing the path for the remaining horses.

"You're insane!" Nina hissed, holding onto her saddle for dear life. "The lot of you! You're all mad!"

The orange glow of the town was burning in the distance. It couldn't have been more than a few moments away. You could practically hear the pounding drums and joyful songs. You were close. So close!

BOOM

A flaming shuriken tore through the trunk of the titanic trees that loomed by the side of the road. A flurry of splinters washed over the Returned. The Goliath began to creak and groan.

The tree came crashing down upon the road. A great white beast emerged from the shadows. With a single kick, he sent the fallen wooden pillar skidding across the sand, dividing the path in two. On one side, Gunter rode, alone with nobody bar Eponine and the mysterious, white creature for company. On the other, the returned continued to speed.

Gunter didn't dare to waste another moment. He rode as close to the fallen barrier as he dared. He reached out behind him and pried Eponine's tied hands from the edge of her saddle.

"What are you--?" The thief protested. Her objections were cut short. A scream burned in their place. Gunter tossed Eponine over the fallen barrier.

"Take her!" Gunter demanded. "We can't let her fall back into their hands! I'll deal with the beast!"

"And stay on your guard! If I am victorious, I'll meet you by the fountain! Go!"

Yanking upon his reins once again, Gunter vanished into the trees. The great beast lumbered after after him, a great broad sword gripped tightly in its clawed fingers. A troop of ninjas followed a few meters behind it...

The Town-
Wading through the town's crowds was like wading through mud. Travelling on horseback was no longer an option. The horde of celebrants smelt of spices and champagne. Handfuls of colored powders were tossed high above the streets. The vibrant dust formed a gradient haze as it slowly settled back down upon the ground. You could hear cheering. Laughing. Beating drums. Singing. The rhythmic pounding of dancing feet. It was enough to overwhelm anyone's senses.

The current of the crowd seemed to directed you further and further into the city. For a moment or two, you felt yourself being swept away from from your allies, lost in the flow of the stream. But the dancing bodies were all guiding you in the same direction. After a few minutes of pushing against the crowd, you caught a glimpse of it:

"Ah! So you're here at last!" Niles chuckled. Yuri was nowhere to be seen. "You took your time! Who did you bring? Is everybody here? I've been waiting here for way too long. Come a little closer. Check out how wrinkled my fingers are..."

"Be glad you landed on the horse and not under it, Brat." Alice snapped as they rode closer to the festivities. Once they couldn't get any farther on horseback she got off and made sure to keep Eponine close and check her for any wounds. Patting her horse's snout, she grumbled under her breath a moment.

"Good boy, Chestnut." She muttered in thanks for him doing pretty much all the work, before pulling Eponine along. Once they made it to the fountain, she wasn't sure what to expect, but to see Eponine's father just sitting in the water wasn't it.

41fd1e400efd6f64d298f8aaf5508017c8acfb22.jpg

"No thanks, seeing you from here is fine. Where's Yuri? I think we have quite a bit to talk about." Alice spoke, pulling Eponine in front of her, gaze calm as she raised a brow.

70debbf10f89947459b487c8621c8710b24f7f4d.jpg

"Unless you don't want to talk and go about this the hard way? You made yourselves buddy-buddy with Cori, and she mentioned something about a boss. I don't really care about that, but I just want the smart mouth you took in exchange for this brat of yours," She said as she studied Niles closely, watching his body language and in a sense testing what kind of father he was.

She wouldn't have been surprised if there were some ninjas hidden in the crowd somewhere just in case they didn't come quietly and made some kind of scene. Though, she supposed they didn't want much of a scene themselves.

@Sark @Jeremi @Capri @Yun Lee @Lucky @Crunch @Everyone

"Looks like someone's got the right idea. Don't think I've had a proper bath since waking up..." His clothes shed and stored safely (they weren't cheap after all), Rei had joined Niles in the water, having temporarily given Alice his microphone for safekeeping (she was the only person here beside himself that he could trust with both the machine and CORI, really).

"You seem like a smart man, Niles. Let's talk business, shall we? I have to say, you've been giving us some mixed messages here. You want to negotiate with us, but yet you have an ambush waiting out there in the forest? Luckily for you we're reasonable people. Well...most of us are, at least." He gave an easygoing smile, though his eyes held a dangerous intent. "You said you knew quite a bit about us. I'm sure you know all about our dear friend in the suit of armor. Poor little Nina got a good glimpse of what he's capable of, but we all made sure she only saw. One father to another, you have my word on that. We've got her safe and sound with us, and I assume you've done the same with Yuri. So how about we establish some friendly relations? No more ninjas on our ass, and we'll keep our green knight on a leash. Does that seem fair to you?"

"Looks like someone's got the right idea. Don't think I've had a proper bath since waking up..." His clothes shed and stored safely (they weren't cheap after all), Rei had joined Niles in the water, having temporarily given Alice his microphone for safekeeping (she was the only person here beside himself that he could trust with both the machine and CORI, really).

"You seem like a smart man, Niles. Let's talk business, shall we? I have to say, you've been giving us some mixed messages here. You want to negotiate with us, but yet you have an ambush waiting out there in the forest? Luckily for you we're reasonable people. Well...most of us are, at least." He gave an easygoing smile, though his eyes held a dangerous intent. "You said you knew quite a bit about us. I'm sure you know all about our dear friend in the suit of armor. Poor little Nina got a good glimpse of what he's capable of, but we all made sure she only saw. One father to another, you have my word on that. We've got her safe and sound with us, and I assume you've done the same with Yuri. So how about we establish some friendly relations? No more ninjas on our ass, and we'll keep our green knight on a leash. Does that seem fair to you?"

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't just see this man remove his clothes to take a dip in the fountain. It's too early for this shit." Alice muttered under her breath as she was handed the microphone with a frown, glancing away from Rei completely.

Was the sun even up yet? Could she not even have a day where they didn't have to worry about old men taking dips in fountains? At least he seemed to be talking some sense, but was it even a good idea to get in the water with the man who had one of their group at knife point earlier?

Something Rei said, however, caused her gaze to go from one man to another and her brows to furrow. He was a dad too? She wouldn't have guessed to be honest, he looked like the kind of guy who wasn't much of the fatherly type to her. Whatever most people considered the 'fatherly type' was anyway.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Crunch @Lucky @Jeremi @Capri

BOOM

"What are you--?" The thief protested. Her objections were cut short. A scream burned in their place. Gunter tossed Eponine over the fallen barrier.

The Town-

"Ah! So you're here at last!" Niles chuckled. Yuri was nowhere to be seen. "You took your time! Who did you bring? Is everybody here? I've been waiting here for way too long. Come a little closer. Check out how wrinkled my fingers are..."

Blast! "Hiya!" Valkyrie and her steed turned around towards the barrier. "We shall meet with you later! I will not let Gunter fight the battle alone!" As she got close to the fallen tree she had the horse slow down and jumped off. They could have jumped it easily but Valkyrie was going to put on a show for any prying eyes still stand.

Valkyrie gripped unto the fallen tree her hands breaking into the bark to get a better grip before it slowly and surely started to rise before she flung it to the side of the road before getting back on her horse after Gunther and the ones chasing him into the forest.

@Sark @ForestRescue

When Jeff saw Rei take off his clothes he began to gag. He did NOT need to see the ugly man get naked.

“I-I need a moment...”

Yeah sure he could survive seeing his friend’s arm sliced open, but a man as greasy as Rei getting naked? Too much...

@Sark @Yun Lee @Takumi

Blast! "Hiya!" Valkyrie and her steed turned around towards the barrier. "We shall meet with you later! I will not let Gunter fight the battle alone!" As she got close to the fallen tree she had the horse slow down and jumped off. They could have jumped it easily but Valkyrie was going to put on a show for any prying eyes still stand.

Valkyrie gripped unto the fallen tree her hands breaking into the bark to get a better grip before it slowly and surely started to rise before she flung it to the side of the road before getting back on her horse after Gunther and the ones chasing him into the forest.

@Sark @ForestRescue

Valkyrie would be followed by a silent figure in robes and armor. She carried two hand crossbows, and moved quickly across the forest, avoiding sticks and leaves. She quickly approached Valkyrie, and held her finger to her mouth.

"We need to be cautious." She whispered, gesturing towards the group.

@Sark @Forest​

Jester Lavorre

" Oh, it's never too early to see people naked. My mom would have clients at all hours, so I have seen a lot of naked men in my life."
Jester would pull out her sketch pad and start to draw naked Rei and Niles in it. It was so good to have some new things to draw.

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Sark @Capri

Henry Hart/ Survivor Danger

" I think it's a given that we need to be cautious. Last thing we want to do is attract the beast."
He would hold his laser in his hand and watch to see what the monster was doing

@Sark @Minerva @Jeremi

Jester Lavorre

" Oh, it's never too early to see people naked. My mom would have clients at all hours, so I have seen a lot of naked men in my life."
Jester would pull out her sketch pad and start to draw naked Rei and Niles in it. It was so good to have some new things to draw.

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Sark @Capri

" I think it's a given that we need to be cautious. Last thing we want to do is attract the beast."

@Sark @Minerva @Jeremi

"I'd rather not have known that information." Alice grumbled. What was with these people? It was like she just attracted the feral or weird ones.

"And I'd rather not see naked dads either." She added with a long suffering sigh. A drink and a nap sounded nice right about now.

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Lucky @Capri

"What, you think I'm gonna strip completely out here in public?" Rei put on a look of mock offense. "Relax, I've still got my drawers on. If Niles wants the full package, he'll need to buy me dinner first."

@Sark @Takumi @Lucky @Capri

"Be glad you landed on the horse and not under it, Brat." Alice snapped as they rode closer to the festivities. Once they couldn't get any farther on horseback she got off and made sure to keep Eponine close and check her for any wounds. Patting her horse's snout, she grumbled under her breath a moment.

"Good boy, Chestnut." She muttered in thanks for him doing pretty much all the work, before pulling Eponine along. Once they made it to the fountain, she wasn't sure what to expect, but to see Eponine's father just sitting in the water wasn't it.
"To land beneath a horse... for my suffering to end..." Nina groaned, rolling her eyes. "Would it really be that bad?"
"Well well well..." Niles taunted. "Look what the cat dragged in! How are you, daughter of mine?"
"Oh, could be better, could be worse. I mean, my 'father' just left me to die in a Vallite castle so..."
"Really? Wow. He sounds like a dick."
"So you're not even going to apologize or...?"
"Nah, you're alive, aren't you? Besides, you wanted me to trust you more."
"What do y--?"
"You know what this means, right?"
"No?"
"Those chains means that you can't be trusted with High-Priority missions. You're back on Wetstone duty."
"Are you KIDDING ME?"
"Nope."
"This is the part where you say that this is all a lesson or a test or..."
"Nope. This is a demotion, plain and simple." Niles laughed. "Now get inside."
Nina groaned and tried to step forward, forgetting the hold Alice had over her chains.
"Oh. Right. Its a hostage negotiation.. Forgot about that..."

"No thanks, seeing you from here is fine. Where's Yuri? I think we have quite a bit to talk about." Alice spoke, pulling Eponine in front of her, gaze calm as she raised a brow.

"Unless you don't want to talk and go about this the hard way? You made yourselves buddy-buddy with Cori, and she mentioned something about a boss. I don't really care about that, but I just want the smart mouth you took in exchange for this brat of yours," She said as she studied Niles closely, watching his body language and in a sense testing what kind of father he was.

She wouldn't have been surprised if there were some ninjas hidden in the crowd somewhere just in case they didn't come quietly and made some kind of scene. Though, she supposed they didn't want much of a scene themselves.
Niles pointed towards the base of the fountain and whistled. "Yuri? He's underground. Alive, for now. He's handcuffed to a bed, if you must know. Other than that, he's perfectly well. I trust the same can be said for Nina?"

"Go to Hell!"

"She looks well enough to me. Now, you were saying? Something about doing things the 'hard way'?" Niles grinned. "Sounds like fun. What did you have in mind?"
"Well well well..." Nina muttered to herself as Rei removed his shirt. "The briefing mentioned that Rei was a father, but nobody told me he was d--"

"Nope!" Niles exclaimed. "Stop. No. We're not doing this. Alice! Cover her eyes! Cover her eyes!"

"What can I say?" Niles winked. "I like keeping big, beautiful men on their toes!"

"Oh, so he can say that, but I can't say he's d--"

"Ignore her." Niles snapped, refusing to look away from Rei. He leaded back against the statue that sat in the center of the pool. "You'll have to forgive her... nature..."

"Asshole!"

"Tragically, she takes after me more than I'd care to admit. Let's try to keep this thing as professional as we can. I'll start with some honesty; our little show at the castle? It didn't go according to plan. Not that it sounds much better, but we were planning on drugging you and sneaking you out onto the carriage. You see, Kana isn't my biggest fan. Seteth's not crazy about the Boss either. Our situation is.. complicated. After you captured Nina, well... If possible, I don't want to see any harm come to her. Call it love. Call it paternal instinct. Call it whatever you like. I made an emotional decision. A poor one, in hind sight. The Ninjas were designed rescue her. They were ordered not to harm you any more than necessary. You were never in any real danger. But..." He bit his lip and turned to the side. "In the name of friendly relations, I'll send a scout into the forest to contact my agents. They'll be recalled. Your friends will be able to enter the city safely. One father to another, I'll ask you for a second chance..."

"Let my daughter go. Come down stairs with me. Let the Boss explain the situation personally. Please."

@Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

"To land beneath a horse... for my suffering to end..." Nina groaned, rolling her eyes. "Would it really be that bad?"
"Well well well..." Niles taunted. "Look what the cat dragged in! How are you, daughter of mine?"
"Oh, could be better, could be worse. I mean, my 'father' just left me to die in a Vallite castle so..."
"Really? Wow. He sounds like a dick."
"So you're not even going to apologize or...?"
"Nah, you're alive, aren't you? Besides, you wanted me to trust you more."
"What do y--?"
"You know what this means, right?"
"No?"
"Those chains means that you can't be trusted with High-Priority missions. You're back on Wetstone duty."
"Are you KIDDING ME?"
"Nope."
"This is the part where you say that this is all a lesson or a test or..."
"Nope. This is a demotion, plain and simple." Niles laughed. "Now get inside."
Nina groaned and tried to step forward, forgetting the hold Alice had over her chains.
"Oh. Right. Its a hostage negotiation.. Forgot about that..."

Niles pointed towards the base of the fountain and whistled. "Yuri? He's underground. Alive, for now. He's handcuffed to a bed, if you must know. Other than that, he's perfectly well. I trust the same can be said for Nina?"

"Go to Hell!"

"She looks well enough to me. Now, you were saying? Something about doing things the 'hard way'?" Niles grinned. "Sounds like fun. What did you have in mind?"

"Well well well..." Nina muttered to herself as Rei removed his shirt. "The briefing mentioned that Rei was a father, but nobody told me he was d--"

"Nope!" Niles exclaimed. "Stop. No. We're not doing this. Alice! Cover her eyes! Cover her eyes!"

"What can I say?" Niles winked. "I like keeping big, beautiful men on their toes!"

"Oh, so he can say that, but I can't say he's d--"

"Ignore her." Niles snapped, refusing to look away from Rei. He leaded back against the statue that sat in the center of the pool. "You'll have to forgive her... nature..."

"Asshole!"

"Tragically, she takes after me more than I'd care to admit. Let's try to keep this thing as professional as we can. I'll start with some honesty; our little show at the castle? It didn't go according to plan. Not that it sounds much better, but we were planning on drugging you and sneaking you out onto the carriage. You see, Kana isn't my biggest fan. Seteth's not crazy about the Boss either. Our situation is.. complicated. After you captured Nina, well... If possible, I don't want to see any harm come to her. Call it love. Call it paternal instinct. Call it whatever you like. I made an emotional decision. A poor one, in hind sight. The Ninjas were designed rescue her. They were ordered not to harm you any more than necessary. You were never in any real danger. But..." He bit his lip and turned to the side. "In the name of friendly relations, I'll send a scout into the forest to contact my agents. They'll be recalled. Your friends will be able to enter the city safely. One father to another, I'll ask you for a second chance..."

"Let my daughter go. Come down stairs with me. Let the Boss explain the situation personally. Please."

@Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

"Well-" Alice started when asked about what she had planned, but nearly choked when Nina started talking about Rei. She looked down, loosing her train of thought before covering the girl's eyes.

"Stop talking." She groaned in exasperation towards Eponine. She lost her train of thought, but focused back in to Niles' words soon enough. Alice considered his words for a moment.

He seemed sincerely concerned about Eponine's well being, at least.

"I'll let her go when you take us to your boss, no harm will come to her," She said then. If the others didn't agree or had any better plans she'd roll with it.

@Sark @Capri @Yun Lee @Lucky

Last edited:
Rei smirked to himself as he watched the exchange between father and daughter. He had to admit, he liked Niles' parenting style. Had things been different...hm. He couldn't think on the past like that now, could he? Not with the future in jeopardy and all.

"Don't worry, she's a cute kid, but a bit too young for me." He had to admit, he did like the praise. Even at fourty-six, he still got it. "And as far as this big, beautiful man is concerned, my toes are a bit tired after all I've had to put up with these past 24 hours. It's about time I stand on my own two feet. If we're all in agreement I'll be happy to give you your daughter back and meet your boss...granted we can get Yuri back at the same time, of course. I know poor Alice must be worried sick over him..."

Rei smirked to himself as he watched the exchange between father and daughter. He had to admit, he liked Niles' parenting style. Had things been different...hm. He couldn't think on the past like that now, could he? Not with the future in jeopardy and all.

"Don't worry, she's a cute kid, but a bit too young for me." He had to admit, he did like the praise. Even at fourty-six, he still got it. "And as far as this big, beautiful man is concerned, my toes are a bit tired after all I've had to put up with these past 24 hours. It's about time I stand on my own two feet. If we're all in agreement I'll be happy to give you your daughter back and meet your boss...granted we can get Yuri back at the same time, of course. I know poor Alice must be worried sick over him..."

a7974083d75446237c058fadef25be1356482b16.jpg

"Shut up and eat shit, Gramps, I don't need you starting that bull." Alice huffed, holding up the hand that had Cori and giving the rapper a rather rude gesture as she did so. She didn't need him to start with that crap now either. It was just a natural habit to be concerned about allies.

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Lucky @Capri

Jester Lavorre

Jester would finish sketching Niles and Rei, before going over to Nina and whispering. " I think he looks like a daddy too," she whispered back to her, letting the others debate what they were going to do. " If you want, you can have the sketch I made of Rei."

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Takumi @Capri

"I'll let her go when you take us to your boss, no harm will come to her," She said then. If the others didn't agree or had any better plans she'd roll with it.
"If we're all in agreement I'll be happy to give you your daughter back and meet your boss...granted we can get Yuri back at the same time, of course. I know poor Alice must be worried sick over him..."
"Then it's settled..." Niles smiled a little. "I get my daughter back, you meet the boss, Yuri goes free. Maybe we'll salvage this mission after all..." Niles reached behind his head and pulled upon the finger of one of the cherubs that had been carved into the heart of the fountain. With a grinding groan, the fountains low began to rotate. The noise was enough to startle some of the celebrants. Niles shooed them away. They didn't need to be told twice. Slowly, the fountain began to descend down a great, secret passage.

"Shut up and eat shit, Gramps, I don't need you starting that bull." Alice huffed, holding up the hand that had Cori and giving the rapper a rather rude gesture as she did so. She didn't need him to start with that crap now either. It was just a natural habit to be concerned about allies.
"Relax, Alice! You'll get your boyfriend back!" Niles taunted, cupping his hands behind his head. "Just hurry up and get in the fountain! The water's great!"
Jester Lavorre

Jester would finish sketching Niles and Rei, before going over to Nina and whispering. " I think he looks like a daddy too," she whispered back to her, letting the others debate what they were going to do. " If you want, you can have the sketch I made of Rei."
Nina recoiled as Jester whispered to his. She brought her hands towards her chest and leaned closer towards Alice.
"Creeper..."
"Nina, get away from the strange woman!" Niles demanded. "Just get in the fountain!"

After a few moments of traveling, the walls of the elevator shaft finally parted to reveal a large underground chamber filled with strange technology. Several side tunnels stretched out like arteries from the heart of the room, leading to countless bedrooms and storage closets. The main hall itself seemed to contain and seemingly endless see of server boxes, each glowing with the same crimson light.
View attachment 5959
[Here's where I get off...]

Rei's microphone began to hum and shake. With a final ping it went silent. Cori's blue glow vanished from the mic and returned to the server box sea.

"It's where I get off too," Niles smirked, stepping out of the fountain. "But let's not talk about that..."

"Niles!!" A voice echoed from the base of the great computer screen that loomed at the back of the room. A figure sat upon the chair, observing footage from a series of cameras hidden across Valla. "You're forgetting your manners. If your bungled kidnapping wasn't offensive enough..."

"Look, Boss..."

"No excuses." The Boss replied, gruffly. "After all I gave you, all that intelligence, all those men... and look what you have to show for it..."

"You can't just blame him, Boss!" Nina pleased, pulling against her restraints.

"You're right. You're equally to blame."

"Hey!"

"I've been watching the whole thing. Had you not gotten yourself captured, we could avoided this whole sorry show. I gave you full autonomy with this mission. I told you to bring the Returned to me however you wished... and you chose this... this clumbsy pantomime of a kidnapping. You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

The Boss stepped out of his chair and turned to face the returned. He crossed the room in long, quick strides. He never once removed his cutting green eyes from Niles and Nina.

"We're sorry, Boss..." Niles mumbled. "We screwed up."

"You did." He replied abruptly. "Go fetch Yuri, and pray that your Dragon-God forgives you for your failure.

View attachment 5958
"Once Nina has been release, the two of you will be on wet stone duty."

A smirk slowly stretched across Nina's lips. Niles bowed and vanished down one of the Underground's tunnels.

"I'd apologize for their behavior--" The Boss added, presumably talking to the Returned. He refused to look at them. He returned to his seat at the back of the room and typed a few lines into his computer. Cori's face appeared on the screen. "--But I doubt it would make a difference. They've already brought shame to this organization. I can only hope that I can change your opinion of us."

"Welcome, to the Godless, Brothers and Sisters. Welcome to the Children of Ashes. The War you were fighting 5 years ago was lost. The Secularists were purged. The fortune ones fell in battle. The unfortunate were killed in the Arenas. I have the pleasure of inviting you back into that unwinnable conflict. I trust that you have questions. I'll do my best to answer them. In times like these, I understand that trust can be difficult..."

The Boss kicked his chair around and paced back towards the elevator. His eyes finally met the Returned.

"But I'm asking you to open your minds. You most of all, Alice." A sincere smile danced across the corner of his mouth. It lasted for a second. Not a moment more, not a moment less. After a moments hesitation, he spoke again. "It's been 10 long years... And we've both changed so much. But I'll never forget those eyes. I'll never forget the arms I died in. I'll ever forget the last face I ever saw... It's good to see you again, Alice..."

Eli stifled another smile.
View attachment 5961
"It's... it's good to see you again... Sister..."

@Takumi
Valkyrie would be followed by a silent figure in robes and armor. She carried two hand crossbows, and moved quickly across the forest, avoiding sticks and leaves. She quickly approached Valkyrie, and held her finger to her mouth.

"We need to be cautious." She whispered, gesturing towards the group.

@Sark @Forest

@Sark @ForestRescue

@Sark @Minerva @Jeremi
As the three riders tore through the undergrowth, most of the ninjas leaped out of their path. Their remaining foes scurried up some nearby trees and continued to pursue the Returned from the treetops.

After a few seconds of riding, a thick gray wave washed over the Returned. A cold, white fog settled over the forest. It was hard to see your hands before you. The woods went silent.

There.

In the distance.

Gunter was hammering his axe against his shield, luring theirs foes towards him. With any luck, you too could follow the sound towards him...

"GHHHHHhhhhhhh...."

The Pale Beast groaned in a strange, forgotten tongue. It remained hidden in the fog. It's bestial cries seemed to gurgle from all angles.

"Iiii wassss tooolllddd tooo llleeettt yyoouuu lliiivveee..." The creature snarled. "III wwaasss toollldd tthhhaattt yooouuu wwweerrreeee imppooorrrtttannnttt.... Sooooo yyyooouuu wwiillll lllliiivveeee... bbuutt yoouuuu wiiiillll noootttt passsss ttthhrrrooougggghhh hhherrreee unnnnhhhaarmmmeddd.... eennnemmmiesss offf Noxxxx....."

@Jeremi @Lucky @Minerva

Last edited:

"Then it's settled..." Niles smiled a little. "I get my daughter back, you meet the boss, Yuri goes free. Maybe we'll salvage this mission after all..." Niles reached behind his head and pulled upon the finger of one of the cherubs that had been carved into the heart of the fountain. With a grinding groan, the fountains low began to rotate. The noise was enough to startle some of the celebrants. Niles shooed them away. They didn't need to be told twice. Slowly, the fountain began to descend down a great, secret passage.

"Relax, Alice! You'll get your boyfriend back!" Niles taunted, cupping his hands behind his head. "Just hurry up and get in the fountain! The water's great!"

Nina recoiled as Jester whispered to his. She brought her hands towards her chest and leaned closer towards Alice.
"Creeper..."
"Nina, get away from the strange man!" Niles demanded. "Just get in the fountain!"

After a few moments of traveling, the walls of the elevator shaft finally parted to reveal a large underground chamber filled with strange technology. Several side tunnels stretched out like arteries from the heart of the room, leading to countless bedrooms and storage closets. The main hall itself seemed to contain and seemingly endless see of server boxes, each glowing with the same crimson light.
View attachment 5959
[Here's where I get off...]

Rei's microphone began to hum and shake. With a final ping it went silent. Cori's blue glow vanished from the mic and returned to the server box sea.

"It's where I get off too," Niles smirked, stepping out of the fountain. "But let's not talk about that..."

"Niles!!" A voice echoed from the base of the great computer screen that loomed at the back of the room. A figure sat upon the chair, observing footage from a series of cameras hidden across Valla. "You're forgetting your manners. If your bungled kidnapping wasn't offensive enough..."

"Look, Boss..."

"No excuses." The Boss replied, gruffly. "After all I gave you, all that intelligence, all those men... and look what you have to show for it..."

"You can't just blame him, Boss!" Nina pleased, pulling against her restraints.

"You're right. You're equally to blame."

"Hey!"

"I've been watching the whole thing. Had you not gotten yourself captured, we could avoided this whole sorry show. I gave you full autonomy with this mission. I told you to bring the Returned to me however you wished... and you chose this... this clumbsy pantomime of a kidnapping. You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

The Boss stepped out of his chair and turned to face the returned. He crossed the room in long, quick strides. He never once removed his cutting green eyes from Niles and Nina.

"We're sorry, Boss..." Niles mumbled. "We screwed up."

"You did." He replied abruptly. "Go fetch Yuri, and pray that your Dragon-God forgives you for your failure.

View attachment 5958
"Once Nina has been release, the two of you will be on wet stone duty."

A smirk slowly stretched across Nina's lips. Niles bowed and vanished down one of the Underground's tunnels.

"I'd apologize for their behavior--" The Boss added, presumably talking to the Returned. He refused to look at them. He returned to his seat at the back of the room and typed a few lines into his computer. Cori's face appeared on the screen. "--But I doubt it would make a difference. They've already brought shame to this organization. I can only hope that I can change your opinion of us."

"Welcome, to the Godless, Brothers and Sisters. Welcome to the Children of Ashes. The War you were fighting 5 years ago was lost. The Secularists were purged. The fortune ones fell in battle. The unfortunate were killed in the Arenas. I have the pleasure of inviting you back into that unwinnable conflict. I trust that you have questions. I'll do my best to answer them. In times like these, I understand that trust can be difficult..."

The Boss kicked his chair around and paced back towards the elevator. His eyes finally met the Returned.

"But I'm asking you to open your minds. You most of all, Alice." A sincere smile danced across the corner of his mouth. It lasted for a second. Not a moment more, not a moment less. After a moments hesitation, he spoke again. "It's been 10 long years... And we've both changed so much. But I'll never forget those eyes. I'll never forget the arms I died in. I'll ever forget the last face I ever saw... It's good to see you again, Alice..."

Eli stifled another smile.
View attachment 5961
"It's... it's good to see you again... Sister..."

@Takumi

As the three riders tore through the undergrowth, most of the ninjas leaped out of their path. Their remaining foes scurried up some nearby trees and continued to pursue the Returned from the treetops.

After a few seconds of riding, a thick gray wave washed over the Returned. A cold, white fog settled over the forest. It was hard to see your hands before you. The woods went silent.

There.

In the distance.

Gunter was hammering his axe against his shield, luring theirs foes towards him. With any luck, you too could follow the sound towards him...

"GHHHHHhhhhhhh...."

The Pale Beast groaned in a strange, forgotten tongue. It remained hidden in the fog. It's bestial cries seemed to gurgle from all angles.

"Iiii wassss tooolllddd tooo llleeettt yyoouuu lliiivveee..." The creature snarled. "III wwaasss toollldd tthhhaattt yooouuu wwweerrreeee imppooorrrtttannnttt.... Sooooo yyyooouuu wwiillll lllliiivveeee... bbuutt yoouuuu wiiiillll noootttt passsss ttthhrrrooougggghhh hhherrreee unnnnhhhaarmmmeddd.... eennnemmmiesss offf Noxxxx....."

@Jeremi @Lucky @Minerva

"Aye!" Valkyrie shouted into the air. "I will extend you the same courtesy! If you do not release us and our comrade!" As she said this she made her way closer to where the sounds from Gunter were emitting. "Thine allies and yourself think mightly highly of your position against common mortals! But I am a Valkyrie and your threats ring hollow!"

She drew both her sword and spear and braced herself. "Now desist with this trickery and show thyself! Lest you are frightened of what will happen to you?"

@Sark @Lucky @Minerva

Back