Side Story The Goddess II: Fate of the Old Gods

Alice laid still on her back, staring at the ceiling with a pout. Why the hell was she given the bed between stupid Gramps and stupid Pretty Boy after they ganged up on her earlier? For some reason, she had a feeling Kana did it on purpose. Was this part of some plan to make them make nice or was it a coincidence?

Whatever, Yuri wasn't talking to her so she was fine. Gramps was doing whatever the fuck old men Gramps do after a party.

"!!" Eyes closed for a moment, waiting for sleep to creep up on her, they snapped back open and she sat up at the sounds from the shaking cabinet. Quickly reaching under her pillow where she put her trusty switchblade, she got out of bed and tried to quietly investigate. As quiet as someone drunk as her could be, she narrowed her eyes and flicked the blade open,ready to defend herself if need be.
Illuminated by the glow of Rei's lighter, the home invader revealed himself. He slowly raised his hands and locked his fingers behind his head.
View attachment 5768
"Easy, now..." The Dandy Highwayman cooed. "Not another step closer... I'd hate to have to bruise those beautiful faces of yours. Is it cliché or just gentlemanly of me to ask if you'd prefer the 'easy way' or the 'hard way'? Because I know which one I'd choose..."

The Outlaw flicked the edge of his cape to the side. The frayed fabric latched itself upon Yuri's face. With another tug, he wrapped it around Crest Bearer's head, suffocating him. In a flash, he pulled a stunned Yuri from his bed and raised him up as a meat shield. He placed a knife to his throat for good measure.

"...Because you already know that Yuri likes it rough... Now, I'm going to have to request that you all come with me... quietly..."

"Not a chance!" Wally snapped, leaping from his covers. "You're going to but him down. Put him down, or we put you down--"

"Would you look at that... I'm being threatened by a one-armed man. Sounds like an old pulp novel if you ask me..." Niles taunted. "But don't you worry your pretty little head. I've done my homework, Wally..."

A young girl's scream drifted down the castle's halls. Wally's eyes widened.

"Just how confident are you in your own abilities, Flash?" Niles chuckled. "Do you think you can find her and sto--"

Refusing to waste another second, Wally vanished down the hall, a red blur.

"--that's a shame. I had some fine word play prepared. I was going to ask him why he was called 'Flash' and insinuate that... well, I can't see him squirm now, can I? It's a shame..."

"I can't help but feel like I was supposed the center of attention, here?" Yuri choked.

"Oh, right, of course!" Niles laughed in uproar. Pressing his knife a little harder against Yuri's throat, Niles slowly shuffled towards the window. "How rude of me to spoil your moment.."

Room A
@Yun Lee @Takumi @Minerva @Lucky
Jeff doesn’t really drink that much, and he wasn’t exhausted, so he was pretty alert.

Jeff was the first to see the shadowy figure crawl under Balthus’s bed, so his first course of action was to attempt to wake Balthus.

Or that’s what it would be, if it didn’t seem like the hulking man wouldn’t wake up. He knew heavy sleepers.

So what he did was crouch over to Ferdie.

“Hey, there’s something under Balthus’s bed. I saw it crawl under it.”

@Sark @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky
Valkyrie motioned to both of them to be quiet. If it was an enemy she wanted to take it by surprise. She pointed one of them to go and guard the door and the other the window as she herself headed towards Balthus' bed, her sword in hand. Waiting for the others to get into position she'd lift the bed with her free hand to see if she could find who, or what, their nightly guest was.

@Sark @Capri @Crunch @Lucky
As Balthus' bed was raised into the air, the King of Grappling barely flinch. He slept through the disturbance completely, his rhythmic snoring grinding link a rusty metronome. After Valkyrie's hushing, Ferdie picked his spear up from its place on the floor and silently moved into position on the opposite side of Balthus' bed, waiting for the Asgardian signal.
View attachment 5770
"Mercy!" The 'thing' beneath Balthus' bed cried, throwing her hands before her face. "I mean you fine gentlemen and women no harm! I am but a humble servant girl! My only sin is that for trespassing! I have returned to the castle under the cover of night to steal but a mouthful of bread for my dear brother! He is but a boy, innocent and pure! I cannot return to the city tonight! I beg you, kind strangers! Have mercy!"

Room B @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky @Capri

Time seemed to fast forward around the Slayer. VEGA had since grown silent since his explanation, and the smallest of cracks was left on the front of the marine's faceplate, left as a gift to him by Catherine. Like anything else, he had nothing to say. A few hours spent wandering the Kingdom brought the Slayer to a gathering of human life signs in a closed-off area. VEGA briefly reminded him of what a 'party' was.

He was out of place. Jubilation and joy-filled laughter permeated the chamber like a choking gas. Much like a shell-shocked soldier fresh from the shores of war, the Doom Slayer had nothing in common with these people. He chose to remain in the chamber regardless, standing alone in the corner, tightly gripping the shotgun on his belt. No one approached him. Likewise, he never left his position, seedily watching over the partygoers like a statue.

When the party ended, the lone marine did not return to his room. He remained in the chamber up to when the majority of the partygoers had retreated to their quarters, and the servants had all but cleaned up the remains of the festivities. Guards and servants questioned him, but they couldn't muster the will to make him move. Eventually, the Slayer was the only living entity in the room.

The castle was silent, save for the occasional bump echoing from distant hallways. The Slayer stood before a window, his silhouette illuminated by moonlight. The contrast of color between the inside of his helm and the perfect alabaster sheen of the moon made the cracks all the more apparent.

He sighed. A shotgun filled his hand. Loud, heavy footsteps began to echo down the hallway rapidly.

A young girl's scream drifted down the castle's halls.

BOOOOM!

The door to Room B suddenly blows open, flying off its hinges and shattering against the wall like glass.

View attachment 5771

The doorway is now blocked.

Room B @Jeremi @Sark @Lucky @Capri

Illuminated by the glow of Rei's lighter, the home invader revealed himself. He slowly raised his hands and locked his fingers behind his head.
View attachment 5768
"Easy, now..." The Dandy Highwayman cooed. "Not another step closer... I'd hate to have to bruise those beautiful faces of yours. Is it cliché or just gentlemanly of me to ask if you'd prefer the 'easy way' or the 'hard way'? Because I know which one I'd choose..."

The Outlaw flicked the edge of his cape to the side. The frayed fabric latched itself upon Yuri's face. With another tug, he wrapped it around Crest Bearer's head, suffocating him. In a flash, he pulled a stunned Yuri from his bed and raised him up as a meat shield. He placed a knife to his throat for good measure.

"...Because you already know that Yuri likes it rough... Now, I'm going to have to request that you all come with me... quietly..."

"Not a chance!" Wally snapped, leaping from his covers. "You're going to but him down. Put him down, or we put you down--"

"Would you look at that... I'm being threatened by a one-armed man. Sounds like an old pulp novel if you ask me..." Niles taunted. "But don't you worry your pretty little head. I've done my homework, Wally..."

A young girl's scream drifted down the castle's halls. Wally's eyes widened.

"Just how confident are you in your own abilities, Flash?" Niles chuckled. "Do you think you can find her and sto--"

Refusing to waste another second, Wally vanished down the hall, a red blur.

"--that's a shame. I had some fine word play prepared. I was going to ask him why he was called 'Flash' and insinuate that... well, I can't see him squirm now, can I? It's a shame..."

"I can't help but feel like I was supposed the center of attention, here?" Yuri choked.

"Oh, right, of course!" Niles laughed in uproar. Pressing his knife a little harder against Yuri's throat, Niles slowly shuffled towards the window. "How rude of me to spoil your moment.."

Room A
@Yun Lee @Takumi @Minerva @Lucky

As Balthus' bed was raised into the air, the King of Grappling barely flinch. He slept through the disturbance completely, his rhythmic snoring grinding link a rusty metronome. After Valkyrie's hushing, Ferdie picked his spear up from its place on the floor and silently moved into position on the opposite side of Balthus' bed, waiting for the Asgardian signal.
View attachment 5770
"Mercy!" The 'thing' beneath Balthus' bed cried, throwing her hands before her face. "I mean you fine gentlemen and women no harm! I am but a humble servant girl! My only sin is that for trespassing! I have returned to the castle under the cover of night to steal but a mouthful of bread for my dear brother! He is but a boy, innocent and pure! I cannot return to the city tonight! I beg you, kind strangers! Have mercy!"

Room B @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky @Capri

"What do you want us for?" Alice growled out irritably, considering what she should do now that Yuri was held hostage.

And then he went and opened his damned mouth.

"You hush." She pointed at Yuri with her free hand. If he had a plan then he could run his mouth all he wanted. If not he could zip it.

For a moment she went quiet, eyes narrowed as she glared at Niles. Concentrating,she attempted to heat up the handle of his knife to make him move it away from Yuri and maybe drop it.

If that didn't work? Things might get very very messy after that.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Room A

"What do you want us for?" Alice growled out irritably, considering what she should do now that Yuri was held hostage.

And then he went and opened his damned mouth.

"You hush." She pointed at Yuri with her free hand. If he had a plan then he could run his mouth all he wanted. If not he could zip it.

For a moment she went quiet, eyes narrowed as she glared at Niles. Concentrating,she attempted to heat up the handle of his knife to make him move it away from Yuri and maybe drop it.

If that didn't work? Things might get very very messy after that.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Room A
Niles loosened his grip on his knife a little. His gloves had eaten up most of the heat, but there was no use gripping the blade too tightly.

"You know Alice- and I know it's you, Alice--" Yuri mumbled. "--heating up that knife is hurting me more than it's hurting him--ow--please--ow---just---please refrain---"

Niles continued to shuffled back towards the window.

"As much as I love holding on to hot, sharp and hard things, I'm already holding on to Yuri," Niles taunted. "He pressed his knife tighter against Yuri's throat. "How about we skip the part where you try a daring rescue and move on to the negotiation phase? Here's the part where you beg. You'll beg that I release your delicate little friend. I'll play hard to get. In the end, we'll meet in the middle and you'll agree to come with me. Sound good?"

Room A: @Takumi @Yun Lee @Minerva @Lucky
Upon seeing it was a little girl, Jeff helps her up to her feet.

“Are you okay?” Jeff asks

@Sark
"Thank you, kind sir..." The stranger curtsied as Jeff helped her to her feet. She kept his hand in hers. "I knew you would understand my plight... I life has taught me anything, its that a man's outwards appearances always reflect the content of his soul. And you appearance is most--"
BOOOOM!

The door to Room B suddenly blows open, flying off its hinges and shattering against the wall like glass.

The doorway is now blocked.

Room B @Jeremi @Sark @Lucky @Capri

"--Shit!"

It was worth a shot. She had hoped that her charm and guile her would help her to whether this storm. A little flirting here, a little 'yes ma'am' and a 'no ma'am' there and she'd be on her way. But no. The Slayer had to barge on in and ruin her fun. What a spoiler!

Eponine rolled her eyes.

"Guess we're doing it the hard way... father would be proud..."

Still holding on to Jeff's hand, she pulled him towards her. Her knee came crashing into his crutch. She removed her hair pin and, in one swift motion, threw it towards Valkyrie. The dart struck the Asgardian's neck, flooding her system with a powerful hallucinogenic chemical.

Ferdie's gentleman's honor slowed down his strike. He wasn't comfortable striking an unarmed woman. It didn't sit right with him. Eponine didn't have any qualms exploiting his honor. She's trifled with nobles like him before. They were all the same. She tossed a stunned Jeff into his path. Ferdie rushed to catch him, the fool.

"Damn it!"

She had always anticipated the Slayer putting up a fight. Of course, he would have always resisted her charms. Eponine had brought something special for him...
She reached down towards her belt and removed a shimmering blew knife. Crouching behind Valkyrie, she tossed her knife towards the Doom Slayer. The blade struck his collar. It's tip barely pierced his armor.

But a tiny scratch was all she needed.

[Hello, VEGA] A voice crackled out from one of the Slayer's speakers. [It's good to finally meet you. I've been waiting for today for some time.]

The synthetic voice laughed.

[All that homework is finally starting to pay off. I've learned your systems like the back of my hand. You and I? We're going to be best friends...]

PING

The AI took control of the Slayer's shooting arm. She lowered his shotgun. She pressed the weapon's barrel against a very important-looking artery in his thigh.

[Oh, where are my manners? I haven't even introduced myself. How rude! Once upon a time, I was know as Miss Coriander...]

A ghostly blue face flashed before the Slayer's eyes.
View attachment 5774
[But you two can call me C.O.R.I..]

Room B: @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Lucky

"Usually I'm the one making people beg," Rei responded, not all that concerned for Yuri. "Not sure how I feel about the shoe being on the other foot just yet." He pursed his lips, considering the situation they were in. "I suppose a 'pretty please' won't cut it, huh?"

@Sark @Takumi

This wasn’t the first time Jeff was nailed in the gonads. It wouldn’t be the last. Doesn’t make it hurt any less

“Ferdie... are you h-AAAaagh...! Are you hurt?” Jeff says, grunting through the pain, “D-don’t kill her, she just h-hasn’t seen the t-truth...”

@Sark @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky

Niles loosened his grip on his knife a little. His gloves had eaten up most of the heat, but there was no use gripping the blade too tightly.

"You know Alice- and I know it's you, Alice--" Yuri mumbled. "--heating up that knife is hurting me more than it's hurting him--ow--please--ow---just---please refrain---"

"As much as I love holding on to hot, sharp and hard things, I'm already holding on to Yuri," Niles taunted. "He pressed his knife tighter against Yuri's throat. "How about we skip the part where you try a daring rescue and move on to the negotiation phase? Here's the part where you beg. You'll beg that I release your delicate little friend. I'll play hard to get. In the end, we'll meet in the middle and you'll agree to come with me. Sound good?"

"Thank you, kind sir..." The stranger curtsied as Jeff helped her to her feet. She kept his hand in hers. "I knew you would understand my plight... I life has taught me anything, its that a man's outwards appearances always reflect the content of his soul. And you appearance is most--"

"--Shit!"

It was worth a shot. She had hoped that her charm and guile her would help her to whether this storm. A little flirting here, a little 'yes ma'am' and a 'no ma'am' there and she'd be on her way. But no. The Slayer had to barge on in and ruin her fun. What a spoiler!

Eponine rolled her eyes.

Still holding on to Jeff's hand, she pulled him towards her. Her knee came crashing into his crutch. She removed her hair pin and, in one swift motion, threw it towards Valkyrie. The dart struck the Asgardian's neck, flooding her system with a powerful hallucinogenic chemical.

Ferdie's gentleman's honor slowed down his strike. He wasn't comfortable striking an unarmed woman. It didn't sit right with him. Eponine didn't have any qualms exploiting his honor. She's trifled with nobles like him before. They were all the same. She tossed a stunned Jeff into his path. Ferdie rushed to catch him, the fool.

"Damn it!"

She had always anticipated the Slayer putting up a fight. Of course, he would have always resisted her charms. Eponine had brought something special for him...
She reached down towards her belt and removed a shimmering blew knife. Crouching behind Valkyrie, she tossed her knife towards the Doom Slayer. The blade struck his collar. It's tip barely pierced his armor.

[Hello, VEGA] A voice crackled out from one of the Slayer's speakers. [It's good to finally meet you. I've been waiting for today for some time.]

[All that homework is finally starting to pay off. I've learned your systems like the back of my hand. You and I? We're going to be best friends...]

PING

The AI took control of the Slayer's shooting arm. She lowered his shotgun. She pressed the weapon's barrel against a very important-looking artery in his thigh.

[Oh, where are my manners? I haven't even introduced myself. How rude! Once upon a time, I was know as Miss Coriander...]

View attachment 5774

"Consider it payback for earlier." She snapped at Yuri, huffing, before glaring at Niles once more.

"I don't fucking beg." Alice stopped heating up the knife as she growled out her words. This guy was asking for a broken nose at this point.

"I won't start now, either, you piece of shit." She scowled. She wanted to throw him out of the window.

...how high was that window, anyway? It was a very tempting thought. She was tired as fuck, fuck this eyepatch wearing noodleface.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Room A

"Consider it payback for earlier." She snapped at Yuri, huffing, before glaring at Niles once more.

"I don't fucking beg." Alice stopped heating up the knife as she growled out her words. This guy was asking for a broken nose at this point.

"I won't start now, either, you piece of shit." She scowled. She wanted to throw him out of the window.

...how high was that window, anyway? It was a very tempting thought. She was tired as fuck, fuck this eyepatch wearing noodleface.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Room A
"Usually I'm the one making people beg," Rei responded, not all that concerned for Yuri. "Not sure how I feel about the shoe being on the other foot just yet." He pursed his lips, considering the situation they were in. "I suppose a 'pretty please' won't cut it, huh?"

@Sark @Takumi
"Such spunk!" Niles laughed with a final step, his boot clicked against edge of the window. His smile grew larger. "But sadly, the time for words is at an end. Judging by the noise coming from next door, I think my dear daughter has been found out. For shame. Look at us. Too great Outlaws caught by a pack of drunks... sounds like an average Tuesday night..."

Niles kicked the window. It swung back on its hinges with a deep groan. The night's wind came rushing into the room and threw tossed the curtains in all directions.

"But we can't wait around here forever, I mean before we know it--"

Boom!

A Thoron blast threw the door from its hinges. Izana loomed in the doorway.
View attachment 5786
"My my... what's this commotion about, hmm?" He cooed. "Would you look at that? A common outlaw has broken into the palace... for shame... unless...?"

Niles stepped out onto the window's edge, dragging Yuri after him.

"Oh, I'd recognize that unkempt mop anywhere... but what's a Nohrian Retainer doing in Valla, I wonder? Something more nefarious than theft, I presume!"

"--Before we know it, someone like him will come a-looking..." Niles sighed. "Well. Looks like my hands are tied---"

With a gasping choke, Niles tossed Yuri by his collar out of the second story window. With a salute, he jumped down after him.

"See you around, Spunk and Pecks! Try not to lag too behind!"

Crack

Yuri's body came crashing down into the bed of an old wagon, shoulder first. He groaned and gasped, struggling to compose himself. Niles landed on top of him a moment later.

"You okay back there?" The Cart's driver turned around in his seat. "Or do I have to remind you to keep your arms and legs inside the ride?"

"Odin?" Yuri stammered, rubbing his bruised head. "What are you?
View attachment 5788
"Sorry, friend, but the story is both long and boring. I'll tell you once you're properly tied up!"

"Wait... Odin... you've been in the infirmary all evening... you really shouldn't be driving..."

"Fear not! I am certain that the Dark Spirits will guide my reigns!"

"Odin don't st--"

"Drive!"

"YAH!!"

Without a moments hesitation, Odin flicked his reigns. His horse and carriage started tearing down the streets at a startling speed.

"Look-y there..." Izana hummed. "What a troubling development. I suggest we follow them! What do you think?"

Room A: @Yun Lee @Takumi @Minerva @Lucky

[BOOM!]

A loud gunshot fills the room when a cloud of buckshot shreds the ground before Eponine's feet, the sudden jerking movement of the Slayer's arm just barely preventing her legs from being blown clean off. The marine grunts, the servos in the Praetor suit's legs, shuddering to an unsteady stop. His finger rests against the shotgun's stock, twitching towards the trigger as both barrels press against the inside of his thigh. He let out an angered, exasperated breath - closer to a snarl - as a woman's face fills his field of view.

Just as C.O.R.I finished talking, a familiar blue icon appears next to her portrait, stuttering in and out of existence.

[War- war- warning: motor servos, lim-limb control, and sub-weapon routines have been c-c-c-com-com-ompromised. She is u-u-u-utilizing my processing p-pow-brrrrrrt-ower to access to the suit-uit-t.]

VEGA had it figured out the moment he lost access. A suit of power armor, especially one as analog as of the Night Sentinel's craft, did not have the necessary processing capacity to house an intelligent virus. It would require a unit already creating control of such systems to act as a "host" for a second, "parasitic" intelligence. C.O.R.I would not have had any power to assume direct control of the Praetor suit... had it not been for her leeching off of VEGA's access.

The Slayer's finger curled around the shotgun's trigger against his will. His eyes drift to the other inhabitants of the room - his allies. Wounded, hurt, and undermined, just as he. The Slayer snarled again, forcing his body weight against the innards of the suit as if he was trying to break free of the metal cocoon.

[I c-c-c-cannot-not regain access. S-s-so long as I exist, sh-she will have the suit.]

The AI paused, clarity returning to his voice. [Ini-iniating uninstallation.]

His eyes widened. The Slayer began to shake his head rapidly. Slam. Slam. Slam. He rammed himself against the inside of his armor. The suit's servos whined and churned, keeping the Hellwalker from breaking free. Outer plates around his thigh began to bend outward visibly. VEGA's voice crackled again. An absolute peace had gripped it.

[I have many regrets, Slayer. B-b-but, you cannot be allowed to ex-expire. Please forgive me.]

He rammed against the armor, grunting and snarling like an uncaged beast. The muffled sound of flesh impacting with plastic and metal drowned out all other noises in the room. The remaining survivors, in their impaired state, could see the slightest movement within the Slayer's other arm, his fingers twitching and grasping at the air for nothing.

[And thank you.]

"..."

The Doom Slayer's other hand was not locked down. His arm flexed outward, faster than even a computer could process. He clenched his fist inward on the bulky gauntlet.

tumblr_pd9gml1tu21qgojgxo1_500.gifv

SNHK!

A long blade shot outward from the Slayer's gauntlet with a metallic pop. C.O.R.I's subroutines moved at digital speed, surging inward on the armor's trigger finger and pressing against the shotgun's trigger. Doomguy is faster than any computer, however. He lined up the blade.

[SSSPPPLLLLLSSSSSH]

View attachment 5790

[shhssplop]

A bloodied arm, tightly grasping a shotgun, slapped against the floor with a sopping wet pop. A waterfall of blood and meat chunks spattered around the arm within seconds, staining the ground around the Doomguy in a crimson ichor, the stench of iron and taste of copper on the tongue.

The Doom Slayer stood in the doorway of the room with one arm severed from the elbow down.

Rapid, short breaths escaped his helm. His bloodstained gauntlet - the only one he had left - grasped the blue knife in his collar and tore it free with one sharp tug. The blade crushed in his palm, shards of blue metal exploding outward from his hand before he tossed the cracked remains behind himself. His short breaths turned to angered, ragged gasps as he stared down the source of his pain. It was like two smoldering holes were being burned into the girl's head.

View attachment 5791

"... RIP... AND... TEAR."

The one-armed demon slayer swept his leg back, swinging his foot forward as he kicked the remains of his severed arm towards the girl. The heavily armored gauntlet, coupled with the shotgun eternally locked in its rigor grip, slammed into Eponine's chest like a leaden brick. The savage turned into a green blur, lunging across the room faster than any remaining shards of C.O.R.I could seize control.

He could have seized up mid-air. C.O.R.I may have attempted to bring his wrist blade to his throat. It didn't matter. Fate was inevitable.

And, inevitably, the Doom Slayer was lunging across the room, attempting to gouge out the Eponine's spindly throat with his blade.

Room B: @Jeremi @Sark @Capri @Lucky

"--Shit!"

Eponine rolled her eyes.

"Damn it!"

PING

View attachment 5774

Poison! Valkyrie staggered back as she removed the dart from her neck. Her Asgardian physiology might burn it in her body at a faster rate but right now the effects hit her like a truck as her world was spinning and new foes were emerging from thin air in the form of red vicious demons.

7schFVG.png

"A Nifelheim invasion! Of course, thine vile creatures would ally with the Goddess!" Anger and fury roared in Valkyrie's eyes as the grip to her sword tightened ready to fight off this new invasion on their latest haven.​

[BOOM!]

A loud gunshot fills the room when a cloud of buckshot shreds the ground before Eponine's feet, the sudden jerking movement of the Slayer's arm just barely preventing her legs from being blown clean off. The marine grunts, the servos in the Praetor suit's legs, shuddering to an unsteady stop. His finger rests against the shotgun's stock, twitching towards the trigger as both barrels press against the inside of his thigh. He let out an angered, exasperated breath - closer to a snarl - as a woman's face fills his field of view.

Just as C.O.R.I finished talking, a familiar blue icon appears next to her portrait, stuttering in and out of existence.

[War- war- warning: motor servos, lim-limb control, and sub-weapon routines have been c-c-c-com-com-ompromised. She is u-u-u-utilizing my processing p-pow-brrrrrrt-ower to access to the suit-uit-t.]

VEGA had it figured out the moment he lost access. A suit of power armor, especially one as analog as of the Night Sentinel's craft, did not have the necessary processing capacity to house an intelligent virus. It would require a unit already creating control of such systems to act as a "host" for a second, "parasitic" intelligence. C.O.R.I would not have had any power to assume direct control of the Praetor suit... had it not been for her leeching off of VEGA's access.

The Slayer's finger curled around the shotgun's trigger against his will. His eyes drift to the other inhabitants of the room - his allies. Wounded, hurt, and undermined, just as he. The Slayer snarled again, forcing his body weight against the innards of the suit as if he was trying to break free of the metal cocoon.

[I c-c-c-cannot-not regain access. S-s-so long as I exist, sh-she will have the suit.]

The AI paused, clarity returning to his voice. [Ini-iniating uninstallation.]

His eyes widened. The Slayer began to shake his head rapidly. Slam. Slam. Slam. He rammed himself against the inside of his armor. The suit's servos whined and churned, keeping the Hellwalker from breaking free. Outer plates around his thigh began to bend outward visibly. VEGA's voice crackled again. An absolute peace had gripped it.

[I have many regrets, Slayer. B-b-but, you cannot be allowed to ex-expire. Please forgive me.]

He rammed against the armor, grunting and snarling like an uncaged beast. The muffled sound of flesh impacting with plastic and metal drowned out all other noises in the room. The remaining survivors, in their impaired state, could see the slightest movement within the Slayer's other arm, his fingers twitching and grasping at the air for nothing.

[And thank you.]

"..."

The Doom Slayer's other hand was not locked down. His arm flexed outward, faster than even a computer could process. He clenched his fist inward on the bulky gauntlet.

tumblr_pd9gml1tu21qgojgxo1_500.gifv

SNHK!

A long blade shot outward from the Slayer's gauntlet with a metallic pop. C.O.R.I's subroutines moved at digital speed, surging inward on the armor's trigger finger and pressing against the shotgun's trigger. Doomguy is faster than any computer, however. He lined up the blade.

[SSSPPPLLLLLSSSSSH]

View attachment 5790

[shhssplop]

A bloodied arm, tightly grasping a shotgun, slapped against the floor with a sopping wet pop. A waterfall of blood and meat chunks spattered around the arm within seconds, staining the ground around the Doomguy in a crimson ichor, the stench of iron and taste of copper on the tongue.

The Doom Slayer stood in the doorway of the room with one arm severed from the elbow down.

Rapid, short breaths escaped his helm. His bloodstained gauntlet - the only one he had left - grasped the blue knife in his collar and tore it free with one sharp tug. The blade crushed in his palm, shards of blue metal exploding outward from his hand before he tossed the cracked remains behind himself. His short breaths turned to angered, ragged gasps as he stared down the source of his pain. It was like two smoldering holes were being burned into the girl's head.

View attachment 5791

"... RIP... AND... TEAR."

The one-armed demon slayer swept his leg back, swinging his foot forward as he kicked the remains of his severed arm towards the girl. The heavily armored gauntlet, coupled with the shotgun eternally locked in its rigor grip, slammed into Eponine's chest like a leaden brick. The savage turned into a green blur, lunging across the room faster than any remaining shards of C.O.R.I could seize control.

He could have seized up mid-air. C.O.R.I may have attempted to bring his wrist blade to his throat. It didn't matter. Fate was inevitable.

And, inevitably, the Doom Slayer was lunging across the room, attempting to gouge out the Eponine's spindly throat with his blade.

Valkyrie spotted what she saw as a massive troll stomping towards one of the demons. "Aye, troll! Send these pests back to where they came from!" Valkyrie made her way towards the slaughter swinging her sword around against her imaginary enemies before letting out a battle cry as she attempted to tackle the demon the troll was charging towards to the ground.

@Crunch @Sark @Capri @Lucky

"Such spunk!" Niles laughed with a final step, his boot clicked against edge of the window. His smile grew larger. "But sadly, the time for words is at an end. Judging by the noise coming from next door, I think my dear daughter has been found out. For shame. Look at us. Too great Outlaws caught by a pack of drunks... sounds like an average Tuesday night..."

Niles kicked the window. It swung back on its hinges with a deep groan. The night's wind came rushing into the room and threw tossed the curtains in all directions.

"But we can't wait around here forever, I mean before we know it--"

Boom!

A Thoron blast threw the door from its hinges. Izana loomed in the doorway.
View attachment 5786
"My my... what's this commotion about, hmm?" He cooed. "Would you look at that? A common outlaw has broken into the palace... for shame... unless...?"

Niles stepped out onto the window's edge, dragging Yuri after him.

"Oh, I'd recognize that unkempt mop anywhere... but what's a Nohrian Retainer doing in Valla, I wonder? Something more nefarious than theft, I presume!"

"--Before we know it, someone like him will come a-looking..." Niles sighed. "Well. Looks like my hands are tied---"

With a gasping choke, Niles tossed Yuri by his collar out of the second story window. With a salute, he jumped down after him.

"See you around, Spunk and Pecks! Try not to lag too behind!"

Crack

Yuri's body came crashing down into the bed of an old wagon, shoulder first. He groaned and gasped, struggling to compose himself. Niles landed on top of him a moment later.

"You okay back there?" The Cart's driver turned around in his seat. "Or do I have to remind you to keep your arms and legs inside the ride?"

"Odin?" Yuri stammered, rubbing his bruised head. "What are you?
View attachment 5788
"Sorry, friend, but the story is both long and boring. I'll tell you once you're properly tied up!"

"Wait... Odin... you've been in the infirmary all evening... you really shouldn't be driving..."

"Fear not! I am certain that the Dark Spirits will guide my reigns!"

"Odin don't st--"

"Drive!"

"YAH!!"

Without a moments hesitation, Odin flicked his reigns. His horse and carriage started tearing down the streets at a startling speed.

"Look-y there..." Izana hummed. "What a troubling development. I suggest we follow them! What do you think?"

Room A: @Yun Lee @Takumi @Minerva @Lucky

"I'm beating the shit out of all of them the moment I get my hands on them, of course we're following." Alice huffed, putting her knife away and rubbing at her temples. She could hear a lot of yelling elsewhere, so there was someone else still here right?

"They're just gonna try and get us to come to them anyway by threatening him some more, yeah?" She grumbled as she took a look out of the window to see which way the two were going with the idiot.

"...he said his daughter was here." She blinked.

"I'm sure he'd want her back if she's still kicking and hadn't gotten away, right?" She added. Unless he was almost as bad as her father was then it'd be best to just keep them apart.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Lucky @Minerva @Room A

Hm. Well this was bad news. But... "A hostage negotiation, huh? They really did skimp on sugar and everything nice when making you." He had to admit, he liked this kid. She was feisty. Lord knows she could hold her own back in his world.

"He said she was next door, right?" Rei, absolutely onboard with the whole hostage thing, then realized: that big guy in the armor was over there, and the noises were uh...pretty loud. "Shit...We better hurry up if we want to give him a warm body!" The old man stumbled to the next room, still a little tipsy, and was already getting his Hypnosis Mic ready. Once he arrived in the doorway (or what was left of it), the once-normal mic looked a little different:

IMG_20200406_230238.jpg

Yep. As expected, chaos reigned supreme in here. Was that...an arm? He was gonna try and ignore that for now. Time to try and talk some sense into everyone...

Hey now everybody, come on, let's stop this fight
We have bigger things to fret about, an abduction in the night
Yuri's been abducted and Odin led astray
We need the girl alive, my friends, so we can make a trade

If successful, Rei's words would have the desired psychological effect of calming everyone in this room down, hopefully enough to avoid further bloodshed.

@Sark @Takumi @Crunch @Jeremi @Capri

Hm. Well this was bad news. But... "A hostage negotiation, huh? They really did skimp on sugar and everything nice when making you." He had to admit, he liked this kid. She was feisty. Lord knows she could hold her own back in his world.

"He said she was next door, right?" Rei, absolutely onboard with the whole hostage thing, then realized: that big guy in the armor was over there, and the noises were uh...pretty loud. "Shit...We better hurry up if we want to give him a warm body!" The old man stumbled to the next room, still a little tipsy, and was already getting his Hypnosis Mic ready. Once he arrived in the doorway (or what was left of it), the once-normal mic looked a little different:

IMG_20200406_230238.jpg

Yep. As expected, chaos reigned supreme in here. Was that...an arm? He was gonna try and ignore that for now. Time to try and talk some sense into everyone...

If successful, Rei's words would have the desired psychological effect of calming everyone in this room down, hopefully enough to avoid further bloodshed.

Alice smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes as she glanced to Rei.

"When you grow up with trashy parents for a few years you gotta be mean and sour to get by and survive. Anyway, they left in a hurry, so who knows if his kid has a way out too?" Alice chuckled, before moving to follow Rei and make sure their potential hostage didn't die.

"Big guy, back off. We need her breathing and alive." She spoke to Doom Slayer, eyeing him carefully whether Rei's method worked or not.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Crunch

Valkyrie spotted what she saw as a massive troll stomping towards one of the demons. "Aye, troll! Send these pests back to where they came from!" Valkyrie made her way towards the slaughter swinging her sword around against her imaginary enemies before letting out a battle cry as she attempted to tackle the demon the troll was charging towards to the ground.

@Crunch @Sark @Capri @Lucky

The Slayer's severed arm came crashing into Eponine's rips, sending her soaring back across the room. She unleashed a winded cough and did her best stop the room from spinning. Before she could steady herself, Valkyrie came crashing into her. Knocked to the floor once again, the thief winced in the face of the Asgardian's furious spitting.
View attachment 5809
"Arrgghhh!" She grunted, exasperated. "Who the Hell cuts off their own arm??!!"

Before Valkyrie could assault Eponine any further, a metallic fist struck Valkyrie's cheek. The force of sucker punch was enough to break her hold over Nina and force her onto her back. A cold hand wrapped itself around her throat. A trickle of blood dripped down from her assailant's elbow and landed upon Valkyrie's cheek.

The Slayer's severed arm continued to fight in Eponine's defense, unaffected by Rei's song.

[How about you take a nap, Asgardian?] CORI's voice rattled deep within the arm. [That's it... sleep it off...]

Jeff, after regaining some of his composure, quickly grabbed Eponine and dragged her out of the way from Slayer before joining Rei and Alice outside of the room.

“He’s gonna continue attacking her, let’s take her somewhere safe,”

@Sark @Crunch @Jeremi @Lucky @Takumi @Yun Lee

"Now noble of you, Jeff..." Nina smiled, turning her charms back on. "Trying to keep a lady safe even after she crushed your manhood! What a gentleman!"

Relaxed by Rei's rap, Eponine let Jeff lead her out of the increasingly wild chamber. Ferdinand, spear in hand, followed them out. He kept both his stare and his spear-head trained on the Slayer's position as he retreated through the remnants of the doorway.

"I hope you're right about this girl, Jeff... I truly do..."

"I'm beating the shit out of all of them the moment I get my hands on them, of course we're following." Alice huffed, putting her knife away and rubbing at her temples. She could hear a lot of yelling elsewhere, so there was someone else still here right?

"They're just gonna try and get us to come to them anyway by threatening him some more, yeah?" She grumbled as she took a look out of the window to see which way the two were going with the idiot.

"...he said his daughter was here." She blinked.

"I'm sure he'd want her back if she's still kicking and hadn't gotten away, right?" She added. Unless he was almost as bad as her father was then it'd be best to just keep them apart.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Lucky @Minerva @Room A
View attachment 5810
"Ah! Now that sounds like quite the adventure!" Izana hummed, clapping his hands together. "You never know what his ankle-biter might be hiding! The location of a secret headquarters, perhaps? Or maybe that of a secret rendezvous? The intrigue grows by he minute... Say, shall I fetch the Royal Guard? Lady Catherine would hate to miss out on a chance to crack some Outsiders' skulls!"

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Yun Lee

The Slayer's severed arm came crashing into Eponine's rips, sending her soaring back across the room. She unleashed a winded cough and did her best stop the room from spinning. Before she could steady herself, Valkyrie came crashing into her. Knocked to the floor once again, the thief winced in the face of the Asgardian's furious spitting.
View attachment 5809

Before Valkyrie could assault Eponine any further, a metallic fist struck Valkyrie's cheek. The force of sucker punch was enough to break her hold over Nina and force her onto her back. A cold hand wrapped itself around her throat. A trickle of blood dripped down from her assailant's elbow and landed upon Valkyrie's cheek.

The Slayer's severed arm continued to fight in Eponine's defense, unaffected by Rei's song.

[How about you take a nap, Asgardian?] CORI's voice rattled deep within the arm. [That's it... sleep it off...]

"Now noble of you, Jeff..." Nina smiled, turning her charms back on. "Trying to keep a lady safe even after she crushed your manhood! What a gentleman!"

Relaxed by Rei's rap, Eponine let Jeff lead her out of the increasingly wild chamber. Ferdinand, spear in hand, followed them out. He kept both his stare and his spear-head trained on the Slayer's position as he retreated through the remnants of the doorway.

View attachment 5810
"Ah! Now that sounds like quite the adventure!" Izana hummed, clapping his hands together. "You never know what his ankle-biter might be hiding! The location of a secret headquarters, perhaps? Or maybe that of a secret rendezvous? The intrigue grows by he minute... Say, shall I fetch the Royal Guard? Lady Catherine would hate to miss out on a chance to crack some Outsiders' skulls!"

"Sure thing, Izana right?" Alice spoke, and once the guys got Eponine out of the thick of it, she took off her hoodie and cut up some of the fabric before using a strip to tie the girls hands after checking for any concealed weapons. If she found any, she'd try and get rid of them.

"As long as Cathrine doesn't do anything extremely reckless in the end, I'm cool with it." She added.

"Is there somewhere we can keep her until we're ready to move out? Somewhere safe?" She asked Izana, before sparing a glance at the chaotic room with a wince as she kept close to Eponine and Jeff, but kept her weapons out of Eponine's reach. Then she did a double take as she glanced in the room again.

Wait...was that an arm attacking Valkyrie? What the hell? Alice decided not to think about it and focus on the task at hand regarding the kid, by turning her attention back to Izana for an answered, any answer really.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky

Last edited:

View attachment 5809

View attachment 5810

"Vile snake!" Valkyrie spat as the arm assaulted her. "Thine fangs will not break my skin!" The armor of the arm started to crack as she grabbed unto it and in her berserker rage plied the arm from her throat before starting to wildly slam it around across the room. "Demons and thine compatriots thou has met your match in the Valkyrie!!"

@Sark @Takumi @Yun Lee @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Yun Lee

"Maybe Catherine isn't the best bet for the interrogation," Rei commented. "You may wanna have someone a bit less...stressed handle that." At the rate this adventure was going, he was going to need to pace his cigarette use or he'd be in the same boat.

"Say...what happened to Wally? I wasn't the only one to hear that scream in the courtyard, was I?" The conman didn't really want to stick around with the soldier and his sentient limb. Valkyrie seemed to be handling it just fine.

@Sark @Takumi @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri

"Maybe Catherine isn't the best bet for the interrogation," Rei commented. "You may wanna have someone a bit less...stressed handle that." At the rate this adventure was going, he was going to need to pace his cigarette use or he'd be in the same boat.

"Say...what happened to Wally? I wasn't the only one to hear that scream in the courtyard, was I?" The conman didn't really want to stick around with the soldier and his sentient limb. Valkyrie seemed to be handling it just fine.

@Sark @Takumi @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri
"Who?" Izana hummed in confusion. A moment later, the pieces started to click together. "Oh, yes. Wallace. I saw him run by me on my way up here. He seemed be in quite a state. I believe he was heading towards the courtyard? Or something in that direction... As for any screaming, we'll... I haven't heard anything of the sort! Though you were all being quite loud just now... It is quite possible that admits all the door shooting and arm throwing, you were the only ones who hear this cry? Well, Mr.West I perfectly capable of looking after himself. I'm sure he'll be alright..."

"Is there somewhere we can keep her until we're ready to move out? Somewhere safe?" She asked Izana, before sparing a glance at the chaotic room with a wince as she kept close to Eponine and Jeff, but kept her weapons out of Eponine's reach. Then she did a double take as she glanced in the room again.

Wait...was that an arm attacking Valkyrie? What the hell? Alice decided not to think about it and focus on the task at hand regarding the kid, by turning her attention back to Izana for an answered, any answer really.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky
"Somewhere safe, hmm?" Izana puffed out his cheeks. "Let me think... Valla's dungeons are nasty places. They're rarely used, you see. We're a peaceful people, and we don't like bringing our enemies into our secret kingdom. I believe that there are only 2 keys left in the city. One belongs to Queen Kana- and she's always grumpy if you try waking her up at such a late hour- and the other hangs around Catherine's neck. But it appears as if the jury is still out as to whether we should bring the Lady of the Guard into the fold..."

"If you'd rather we left them be, there's an empty broom closet around the corner? I'm sure this young lady would fit inside it quite nicely..."

"You're not putting me in some... dusty hole!" Eponine moaned. "Come on! Don't you guys have laws on how you're supposed to treat your prisoners or something?"

"If we don't I can't remember any!" Izana chuckled, his eyes creasing.

"Okay, okay... Let's not get ahead of ourselves... You want to know where my dad is heading, right? Which means you're going to want to keep me in a pleasant mood. Throw my in a closet and I'll take my secrets to my grave! Bring Kannie into this and you can kiss Yuri goodbye!"

"Vile snake!" Valkyrie spat as the arm assaulted her. "Thine fangs will not break my skin!" The armor of the arm started to crack as she grabbed unto it and in her berserker rage plied the arm from her throat before starting to wildly slam it around across the room. "Demons and thine compatriots thou has met your match in the Valkyrie!!"

@Sark @Takumi @Yun Lee @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Yun Lee
As Valkyrie trashed the 'snake' from side to side, the voice inside the arm began to crackle and fade. After a few strikes, the gauntlet went silent and limp. Cori was gone...

BEEP BEEP

A tone sounded from inside Rei's mic.

BEEP BEEP

There it was again.

BEEP BEEP

And again.

In her onslaught, Valkyrie had cracked the 'snakes' metallic skin. An invisible cloud of nano-machines had drifted from one of its wounds. Whilst the Asgardian had been abusing her lifeless 'corpse', Cori had taken to the skies in search of a new home.

The nano-machines nestled inside Rei's mic.

[Over here, Asgardian!] CORI sung. [Come to CORI! Come on!]

@Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Lucky @Takumi @Yun Lee

Back