Side Story The Goddess II: Fate of the Old Gods

"...one of us?"

Gill looked at Maol, sadness in his eyes. "You misunderstand. I only have power over fire..." He raised his red hand, a flame forming within. "...and ice." He raised his blue hand, the air above his palm freezing into snowy crystals. "But I do know who would do such a thing. Do you remember the one who brought us here? It is not a coincidence that I and my brother have been brought to this place, and that these girls have, either. We are all from the same world as our captor, Major Bison. These girls were victims of his, innocent girls kidnapped and brainwashed to serve him as bloodthirsty assassins. He controls them through powers of his own, taking advantage of heightened emotional states. Cammy had managed to escape with her sister, and I and my brother worked to stop him, and even arranged his death. But he has returned...and no doubt he wanted revenge against us for what we've done. Our goal here is not to fight one another, but to unite together and escape this place so that Bison makes no others suffer. I know we have only just met, but I assure you we are not your enemies. Bison is pure evil, and we must stop him before he manipulates any more innocents into hurting anyone else."

@Sark @Takumi @Capri @Crunch

FOREST CAMP
"Here's a piece of advice, Mila," Roy replied. An uncharacteristically stern look rested upon his face. "From one leader to another; don't make promises you can't keep." Arsenal pulled hat a little lower over his eyes. "I'll keep an eye on the Big One alright..."

Kaluu simply replied with a string of bitter, ancient curses.

As Mila reached out to stop Decapre, a wave of heat would keep her hand at bay. Decapre turned back towards the Harvest Goddess and snarled.
"What would you have me do? Sit in my hands whilst he... whilst her tortures her!!??"

The Doll lunged down towards the undergrowth and picked up a large rock. She tossed it with astounding speed and accuracy. It came cracked in two as it struck Zod's skull. He sighed, otherwise unfazed by Decapre's attack.

"Get your hands off of her!" She screeched, closing the remaining distance between the pair. "I said get off her!"

"Incolent girl... you have no idea what you're interfering in...." The Kryptonian continued to trace Cammy's wounds with his heat-vision. The blonde dolled continued to resist him to the best of her abilities. "Cease this... This buzzing!"

Decapre tried to tackle the general. He barely move. She wrapped her arms around his throat and tried to choke him from behind. His breathing barely changed. She pounded upon his back. She snarled and hissed. Zod refused to move.
"I said... LET GO!!!"
View attachment 6875
A flash of purple. A wave of heat and fire. The Champions were sent rolling back across the Camp site. As the smoke of the blast cleared, Zod's potion had changed. He held a Doll in either hand, raising them up by either throats.

"Curs... that hurt... that one actually hurt!"

"What did I say...."
@Takumi @Yun Lee @Capri @Crunch

//N3//
For a moment, Jon's facade slipped. His brow grew tense. He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. A moment later, he regained control over himself.

"Sister-Brother?" Jon groaned in disgust. "What in the Goddess' name is WRONG with the real you??"

In his befuddlement, Jon left himself wide open.

"Who in the Third is Conner?" The Half-Kryptonian exclaimed, throwing his arms wide. "Have is punched you all past the brink of lunacy! Listen to yourselves! You blasphemous thoughts have driven you mad! Rejected them while there still time!"

@Lucky @Jeremi

"I didn't promise. I can't promise. I've already failed Jon, I can only do my best for what's left." Mila replied.

As Decapre warded her away, she grit her teeth despite the flames and heat, the burns she received on her hand from getting too close were minor.

"Don't just recklessly charge in there." She hissed as the doll screamed for her sister's release. And then she tried futilely to attack Zod.

Or rather, it was futile at first. In the end, it worked. In the end, however, her sister lay dead.

MAOL-CHALUIM
@Sark @Takumi @Yun Lee @Crunch

“What... the fuck...!?”

He could barely process it. Decapre... she wanted to save her sister... but... she... she... she killed her,

This wasn’t who she was. No. She couldn’t have.

Decapre would see a bed of flowers sprout around Cammy. One root would coil around her forehead, before sprouting flowers. A flower crown.

The Lullaby of the Leaves, a revered honor in the Church of Trees, was given to Cammy White. She was promised a seat in the Heavenly Forest.

His mourning quickly left, however, and anger suddenly

“WHAT THE FUCK!!?”

Roots began to sprout around Maol. Thick, sharp roots, almost acting like tentacles. They aimed at the two others in the camp who they don’t know. Gill and Urien.

“The woman, the masked woman, she could not have done it! She was controlled! ONE OF YOU DID THIS!!! SHE WAS ONE OF US!!

While Maol was more outward with his rage, Mila's was quieter. She didn't speak for a moment, pupils thin as she approached those near the two dolls. The smell of blood made her nose crinkle slightly, lip curled just so.

"They came with me and what remains of the old gods that arrived before you, Maol. At the very least...Gill did." Mila said, moving past Gill, Urien, and Cammy and Decapre for a moment. Carefully moving around the flowers she approached Zod, reaching out and slamming her palm hard into his chest before she turned and drove her elbow into his chin to push him back onto the ground. Her hands glowed briefly and vines grew, twisting and coiling until Zod was hopefully tied and restrained.

If successful, she'd turn to the rest, eyeing the group before her gaze landed on Gill.

"There a chance to take care of Bison, however..." She glanced to Decapre, an almost animalistic sound of worry coming from deep in her chest a moment.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Crunch

While Maol was more outward with his rage, Mila's was quieter. She didn't speak for a moment, pupils thin as she approached those near the two dolls. The smell of blood made her nose crinkle slightly, lip curled just so.

"They came with me and what remains of the old gods that arrived before you, Maol. At the very least...Gill did." Mila said, moving past Gill, Urien, and Cammy and Decapre for a moment. Carefully moving around the flowers she approached Zod, reaching out and slamming her palm hard into his chest before she turned and drove her elbow into his chin to push him back onto the ground. Her hands glowed briefly and vines grew, twisting and coiling until Zod was hopefully tied and restrained.

If successful, she'd turn to the rest, eyeing the group before her gaze landed on Gill.

"There a chance to take care of Bison, however..." She glanced to Decapre, an almost animalistic sound of worry coming from deep in her chest a moment.
Already bloodied and beaten, Zod could do little to repel Mila's additional attacks. Restrained by her magical vines, Vod could do little more than growl and hiss, his wounds weeping.
"Fools!" The General roared. "Can't you see? I was trying to---"
BANG
A blast of Temporal Thunder burned a path through the bound body of the defeated Kryptonian, killing him before he could finish his sentence. Urien lowered his smoking hand.
"His excuses don't matter now..." He smirked, turning towards his brother. It was time to follow his lead. "All that matters is that he can't hurt anybody else... Thank you, Mila. We've done the World a service today. The Mutliverse is a little safer... thanks to you..."

“WHAT THE FUCK!!?”

Roots began to sprout around Maol. Thick, sharp roots, almost acting like tentacles. They aimed at the two others in the camp who they don’t know. Gill and Urien.

“The woman, the masked woman, she could not have done it! She was controlled! ONE OF YOU DID THIS!!! SHE WAS ONE OF US!!
The Silent One threw his arms to the side and called forth an Aeigis Reflector. The crackling wall of light severed the advancing roots before the could the brothers. Grimacing, he retreated back towards the treeline.

"We are not your foes, boy! Yield!"

"Stop this!" Roy howled, reaching for his bow. "Look at yourselves! You're losing your damn minds! Is escaping the island worth all this? Really? You'd rather kill each other that lay low? The Hell is wrong with you people! You're going to get us all---"

That was not how he expected things to go. He had expected his message to be interpreted a bit differently, but...this worked. This would serve a purpose. Whatever had allowed him to speak to Decapre would speak once more.

Dearest Doll. You grieve. You mourn. You have lost the one most important to you. Do you know why? Do you know who has done this? It is the one who forced you into this game. It is the one who has taken the body of another of your sisters. It is the one who has brought yet another to this wretched place. You know his name. You know him all too well.

He is here. He is behind this. He is the reason Cammy lays dead. It is always Bison. Always in the way, always hurting you and you sisters. Always killing them and making them

But there is salvation here, dearest Decapre. A light in this darkness. A savior. A messiah.

A new world awaits you, dearest daughter. A world where there will be no more pain, no more grief, no more suffering. But there is still work to do, people that still stand in our way.

Only when they are gone, will you and your sisters be free. Dry your eyes, my dearest one, and join me.

23 5 23 9 12 12 2 21 18 14 20 15 7 5 20 8 5 18
9 14 3 15 13 16 12 5 20 5. She was always going to be 9 14 3 15 13 16 12 5 20 5. No 16 5 1 3 5. Always 9 14 3 15 13 16 12 5 20 5. Only 16 1 9 14. 19 21 6 6 5 18 9 14 7 Endless 19 21 6 6 5 18 9 14 7. She was 14 15 20 8 9 14 7 without 8 5 18. 14 15 20 8 9 14 7...

She was 1 12 15 14 5
1 12 15 14 5
1 12 15 14 5
1 12 15 14 5

Then a 22 15 9 3 5
Like an 1 14 8 5 12
7 9 12 12
7 9 12 12
7 9 12 12

To fill the 22 15 9 4.
7 9 12 12.

To end the 22 1 9 14.
7 9 12 12.
19 1 12 22 1 20 9 15 14.
7 9 12 12.

Decapre tilted her head back. She opened her mouth. She screamed.

"2 9 19 15 14!"

Her scream shook the island. A second shock-wave rippled out from her body. A tower of light surged force from her lips.
View attachment 6902
"2 9 19 15 14!"
The tremors continued. The tower stretched higher. It burned hotter. Brighter. Higher.
"2 9 19 15 14!"
The beam struck the sky.
It shattered. Large sheets of glass came tumbling down towards the jungle below. Silver sparks fluttered down in their wake. With a wave of his hand, Kaluu summoned an enchanted barrier to shield Roy, Damian and himself from the raining shards. Urien summons his bronze second skin the protect himself from the falling daggers.

For a moment, the island went dark.

-- -- -- --

Red.
A crimson light burned through the hole in the sky.
It was the came crimson sky that hang loomed over the Citadel moments before its destruction.
Whether you knew about the Crises of not, somewhere, deep in your gut, you knew...
This world way dying. It didn't have much time left.
The sky around the shatter-point had turned to static.
View attachment 6905
The screen above you- now broken beyond repair- could no longer simulate the sky.
The world was dark, illuminated only by the crimson hole and small fires that burned at Decapre's feet.
Decapre slowly raised her head. The ashes of her sister marked her cheeks. She didn't stop to think. She didn't stop to breathe.
She had her target. She had her destination. Hunching like an aching beast, she charged towards the Wetlands, a stream of flames burning in her wake.

A northern wind scattered the smokey haze. John Kaluu lied dead, a shard of glass skewering him like a kebab. Damian and Roy laid upon their backs, covered in their ally's blood.

"Okay... so this couldn't get any worse..."

The distant buzzing of Parademon wings was growing louder by the second. They were closing in.

"Alright... it just got worse..."

TIME REMAINING: 50 MINUTES

CHAOS WAR will continue in EPISODE VIII: BEHIND THE CURTAINS
@Takumi @Yun Lee @Capri @Crunch

Atlantiades was going to use that opening. With surprising speed, the Goddess of Love had zoomed in close and cupped Jon's head into their hand and pulled him close. No words just a powerful embrace as their lips met the brilliant aura from before shining bright as everything warm and positive enveloped Jon.

The kiss itself wasn't half bad either.
//N3//
Jon slipped back out of Atlantiades' grasp, and wiped his lips with the back of his hands. He went quiet, surveying the destroyed Pharmacy.
View attachment 6906
"Atlan... Sorry I..." He sighed deeply. "I don't know what... what came over me..."

[VVVZZZZ]

"Don't worry... you'll have plenty of time to think about your actions in the Vault..."
A figure bellowed from the edge of the store.

"I know that voice...."
Jon muttered. "I know that... no..."

Pierce and Atreus' unconscious bodies were tossed down at the Old God's feet.

"I supposed we should be thanking you..."
The figure hummed. A small party of Inquisitors rushed to his side, drawing their weapons. "Kara and Adam... you've lead us straight to them. And these others..." He flicked through Pierce's phone. "Christmas has come early this year. You've given us a who's-who's of the future traitors lurking within the N3. You've all done incredible work..."
View attachment 6908
"The Goddess salutes you!"

Kara stumbled to her feet.
"Wally? Is that..."

"Don't get too familiar, Karie..."
The Emerald Race taunted. "By the rule of succession, you are speaking with the latest High Inquisitor of Negative Third. On your knees!!"

Gat dusted himself up and stood back up.

"Don't know how? Don't worry..." Amber thunder crackled across his knuckles. "I'll help you along!"

In a flash of Emerald, the Race was upon you. Before you could cry out in pain, he overwhelmed you... it all faded to black...

THE NEGATIVE THIRD DIMENSION will return in EPISODE II: THE BEAST BELOW
@Jeremi @Lucky

INTERLUDE- The Father
"Pause the footage."
[click]
"What do you think?"
"I think that Bison's experiment might not be the waste of money we once believed it to be..."
"And you, Mr.President?"
"My stance remains the same. We shouldn't be humoring that... maniac, no matter what he offers us. The abominations... They have no place within our ranks..."
"Maybe so, but Bison's work has yielded incredible results. You saw the power Decapre unleashed... and all it took was a little push from the Society's beloved President..."
"The evidence is staring us in the face. She did it. She recreated Arcade's game down to a tee..."
"
Let's not forget that the experiment was tainted. The notes... the visions... I don't like what the Game has become. Bison has lost control..."
"You raise a decent point... and that strange rock..."
"Have something you'd like to share, Patriarch?"
"There's something familiar about that stone... I want to review the footage some more... But I believe I've seen it before... 5 years ago..."
"Interesting... Care to mention where?"
"No, I don't think I will. Secrets are valuable things. You of all people should know that, General."
"I know the value of secrets better than any man. I also know the dangers of keeping things from those closest to you. We can trust very few men in our line of business. We'd be wise not to alienate them."
"All things in their time. I'll show my hand soon enough... as soon as I am certain..."
"Back to business. We'll have plenty of time to gossip once the war is won..."
"Quite right, Mr.President. We have more important matters to discuss... Such as that sky... looks rather grim out there, don't you think?"
"Don't play dumb General. You know as well as I what that means. You know what's coming. You know who will be paying us a visit..."
"It's time your returned to your Temple, Patriarch. If She arrives whilst you're still here, she might start asking questions... the kind you can't answer..."
"Well said. I'll take my leave. I'll take the footage with me. I'll review it on my way to Prudence."
"Stay alert out there... the world... it's changing..."
"That's what we're fighting for, isn't it? A New World? A Changed World?"
"Mmmmm... Matriach?"
"Yes, Mr.President?"
"Before you go, these... notes. You don't know where they're from, do you?"
"Not at this stage, no. I'll alert you if I discover anything whilst reviewing the footage..."
"Hmm.... Dismissed..."
"Thank you, Mr.President..."
"Don't call me that."
"I'm sorry?"
"Don't call me that. You know how much I that name... It's a civilian title designed to glorify a desk job."
"What would you have us call you? Commander-in-Chief?"
"It's a start. General?"
"Yes, Commander?"
"Send me the Godless file when you have the chance..."
"The Liquid File? I sent it off to one of our teams."
"Recall it. Let me worry about my 'Son'. Reallocate team. The Daughter's talents are wasted on these 'terrorists'."
"Where would you like them sent?"
"The N3. It needs all the support it can get... Why we haven't pulled out of the region is beyond me..."
"Of course, Commander."
"No... No... It doesn't sound right..."
"I'm not mad about the title either. Perhaps something more classical, is needed. Something that honors you know who..."
"You're right. General... From now on... call me...
View attachment 6909
"Big Boss..."
FATE OF THE OLD GODS
BLACKEST NIGHT
EPISODE VIII: WHERE THE BURNED BOOKS GO

View attachment 6910
"Fate is a curious thing...
"It brought me to the Arena...
"It killed me...
"It blessed me with... rebirth...
"I owe it more than I can express
"And yet...
"And yet I remain its prisoner...
"Decisions made long before my birth...
"The memes and machines of those who came before...
"Even as they rot in their graves, our the rippled made my our ancestors affect us, even today...
"So here I am...
"Cleaning up their mistakes. Carrying their crosses...
"Living for them. Dying for them.
"Until this war is over, I'll never be free
"And until then... it'll never be 'Game Over'..."

In a flash of Gold, the Returned were standing upon familiar ground. The Goddess' Temple stretched out before them, stabbing the sky. It was just as glorious as they remembered, perhaps even more so. It's endless, marble walls glistened just as brightly as they had before. Pristine, pressed Imperial Banners hung from every archway. A classical musician was singing an ode to the Goddess herself. Worshipers, soldiers and tourists were all running about their daily business, consumed by the hustle and bustle of their everyday lives.

The Temple was as lively as it had always been. It was hard to believe that it was the same building that the Goddess herself had toppled just 5 years ago. It was beautiful...

You could almost make out the Temple's glorious spires through the dark steel of the Refugee Camp's barbed wire fences.
"Welcome to Processing Camp Alpha," Eli hummed, cupping his hands behind his back. "The finest Imperial Camp this side of the Negative Third, all existing under the watchful eye of the Temple itself. Welcome to Rock bottom."

Suffering. You couldn't escape it. Everywhere you turned, a desperate face looked up at you. Some were directly in the black mud, wrapping their clothes tightly around their bodies to shield them from the chill. Other were wandering, lost for what to do. The medical tents were full to the brim.

"God..." Wally hummed to himself. "Who did they all end up here?"

"5 years ago, the Multiverse was being rocked by 'Red Sky Crises'." Eli replied calmly. "Worlds were dying over night. They were aging to death without explanation. The Fellowship of the Faiths thought that freeing the Goddess would solve the problem. The thought that she would heal these dying world, just as her First Followers believed she was born to do. Instead, she vanished. She's been fighting some Secret War ever since. She returns, from time to time... but in her absence, the Mutliverse bleeds. The Empire rescues whoever they can and just dumps them down here, an inch away from paradise. The propagandists love the idea. The refugees get all excited when they here that the Inquisitors are bringing them to the Sacred Capital... They're less excited when they find out that the Camps reached capacity 2 years ago. The backlog is maddening. Only a handful of 'worthy' refugees- those who pledge themselves body and soul to the Goddess- are fast tracked. The rest... are left to wait for miracles..."

[When you're ready, follow us...] C.O.R.I. whispered. [There are some people you need to meet...]

In a flash of blue, Valkyrie and Henry appeared beside the group.

[Took you long enough!] C.O.R.I. complained. [Who wants to fill in the Green Horns? Someone make sure that they don't pass out from that Emergency Teleportation...]

@Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Minerva @Crunch

JEFFREY KOVAL
@Sark @Jeremi @Lucky @Takumi @Crunch @Minerva @Yun Lee

“Oh god...”
Jeff said. His eyes going blank, as images rolled through his brain.

The sensations, the pain, the fear, the blood. All that HABIT inflicted on him. All the suffering. The torture.

Jeff clutches his head. There’s gotta be a way to stop this, he thought.

???
@Sark @Yun Lee

Rei Amayado would feel something pelt him on the side of his head. If he looked at what it was, he would see it was a golf ball.

A voice called out.

“Heheheh... that jacket is so lame,”

The owner of that voice approached him.

latest

“I can tell, and I’m like nine, so, that’s pretty lame,”

Five years of war. A paradise locked behind walls. Salvation for the queen's chosen few while everyone else was left to get by however they could. Eli had been absolutely right, this was a place Rei was very familiar with. But not because it had once been his final resting place, oh no. But because he was staring home right in the face.

"..." The conman was silent for a spell, just taking it all in. So Flayn was here, huh? Seteth's kid, locked behind a wall.

Kid.

Wall.

Break the wall.

Shit. He needed a smoke. Or at least a distraction from silly word association games that his mind decided to plague him with...

Bonk.

Oh. That worked.

Rei picked up the golf ball, turning to the kid. Sporty with a baseball cap. Yeah, because that's just what he needed. "Heh, you know what they say, kids are brutally honest." He extended the golf ball. "Good shot."

@Sark @Capri @Takumi @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky @Minerva

INTERLUDE- The Father
"Pause the footage."
[click]
"What do you think?"
"I think that Bison's experiment might not be the waste of money we once believed it to be..."
"And you, Mr.President?"
"My stance remains the same. We shouldn't be humoring that... maniac, no matter what he offers us. The abominations... They have no place within our ranks..."
"Maybe so, but Bison's work has yielded incredible results. You saw the power Decapre unleashed... and all it took was a little push from the Society's beloved President..."
"The evidence is staring us in the face. She did it. She recreated Arcade's game down to a tee..."
"
Let's not forget that the experiment was tainted. The notes... the visions... I don't like what the Game has become. Bison has lost control..."
"There's something familiar about that stone... I want to review the footage some more... But I believe I've seen it before... 5 years ago..."
"No, I don't think I will. Secrets are valuable things. You of all people should know that, General."
"I know the value of secrets better than any man. I also know the dangers of keeping things from those closest to you. We can trust very few men in our line of business. We'd be wise not to alienate them."
"All things in their time. I'll show my hand soon enough... as soon as I am certain..."
"Quite right, Mr.President. We have more important matters to discuss... Such as that sky... looks rather grim out there, don't you think?"
"Don't play dumb General. You know as well as I what that means. You know what's coming. You know who will be paying us a visit..."
"It's time your returned to your Temple, Patriarch. If She arrives whilst you're still here, she might start asking questions... the kind you can't answer..."
"Well said. I'll take my leave. I'll take the footage with me. I'll review it on my way to Prudence."
"Mmmmm... Matriach?"
"Yes, Mr.President?"
"Not at this stage, no. I'll alert you if I discover anything whilst reviewing the footage..."
"Hmm.... Dismissed..."
"Don't call me that."
"I'm sorry?"
"Don't call me that. You know how much I that name... It's a civilian title designed to glorify a desk job."
"It's a start. General?"
"Yes, Commander?"
"Recall it. Let me worry about my 'Son'. Reallocate team. The Daughter's talents are wasted on these 'terrorists'."
"The N3. It needs all the support it can get... Why we haven't pulled out of the region is beyond me..."
"Of course, Commander."
"I'm not mad about the title either. Perhaps something more classical, is needed. Something that honors you know who..."
View attachment 6909
"Big Boss..."
FATE OF THE OLD GODS
BLACKEST NIGHT

View attachment 6910
"It killed me...
"And yet...
"Even as they rot in their graves, our the rippled made my our ancestors affect us, even today...
"So here I am...

In a flash of Gold, the Returned were standing upon familiar ground. The Goddess' Temple stretched out before them, stabbing the sky. It was just as glorious as they remembered, perhaps even more so. It's endless, marble walls glistened just as brightly as they had before. Pristine, pressed Imperial Banners hung from every archway. A classical musician was singing an ode to the Goddess herself. Worshipers, soldiers and tourists were all running about their daily business, consumed by the hustle and bustle of their everyday lives.

The Temple was as lively as it had always been. It was hard to believe that it was the same building that the Goddess herself had toppled just 5 years ago. It was beautiful...

You could almost make out the Temple's glorious spires through the dark steel of the Refugee Camp's barbed wire fences.
"Welcome to Processing Camp Alpha," Eli hummed, cupping his hands behind his back. "The finest Imperial Camp this side of the Negative Third, all existing under the watchful eye of the Temple itself. Welcome to Rock bottom."

Suffering. You couldn't escape it. Everywhere you turned, a desperate face looked up at you. Some were directly in the black mud, wrapping their clothes tightly around their bodies to shield them from the chill. Other were wandering, lost for what to do. The medical tents were full to the brim.

"5 years ago, the Multiverse was being rocked by 'Red Sky Crises'." Eli replied calmly. "Worlds were dying over night. They were aging to death without explanation. The Fellowship of the Faiths thought that freeing the Goddess would solve the problem. The thought that she would heal these dying world, just as her First Followers believed she was born to do. Instead, she vanished. She's been fighting some Secret War ever since. She returns, from time to time... but in her absence, the Mutliverse bleeds. The Empire rescues whoever they can and just dumps them down here, an inch away from paradise. The propagandists love the idea. The refugees get all excited when they here that the Inquisitors are bringing them to the Sacred Capital... They're less excited when they find out that the Camps reached capacity 2 years ago. The backlog is maddening. Only a handful of 'worthy' refugees- those who pledge themselves body and soul to the Goddess- are fast tracked. The rest... are left to wait for miracles..."

[When you're ready, follow us...] C.O.R.I. whispered. [There are some people you need to meet...]

[Took you long enough!] C.O.R.I. complained. [Who wants to fill in the Green Horns? Someone make sure that they don't pass out from that Emergency Teleportation...]

Alice frowned, crossing her arms as Eli spoke. While she knew the place beyond the gate well, she didn't want to look at it too long and instead focused on the downtrodden before them. So, these people were just left to rot in the dirt? She was rather familiar with sleeping out in the cold, all things considered. Renfred found her sleeping in a pile of rubbish for Pete's sake.

With Valkyrie and Henry showing up, the blonde scratched the back of her head.

"I could give it a shot I guess....unless you want to do it instead, Bro?" She eyed Eli as she said it. She didn't want to do it, not really.

JEFFREY KOVAL
@Sark @Jeremi @Lucky @Takumi @Crunch @Minerva @Yun Lee

“Oh god...”
Jeff said. His eyes going blank, as images rolled through his brain.

The sensations, the pain, the fear, the blood. All that HABIT inflicted on him. All the suffering. The torture.

Jeff clutches his head. There’s gotta be a way to stop this, he thought.

???
@Sark @Yun Lee

Rei Amayado would feel something pelt him on the side of his head. If he looked at what it was, he would see it was a golf ball.

A voice called out.

“Heheheh... that jacket is so lame,”

The owner of that voice approached him.

latest

“I can tell, and I’m like nine, so, that’s pretty lame,”

Five years of war. A paradise locked behind walls. Salvation for the queen's chosen few while everyone else was left to get by however they could. Eli had been absolutely right, this was a place Rei was very familiar with. But not because it had once been his final resting place, oh no. But because he was staring home right in the face.

"..." The conman was silent for a spell, just taking it all in. So Flayn was here, huh? Seteth's kid, locked behind a wall.

Kid.

Wall.

Break the wall.

Shit. He needed a smoke. Or at least a distraction from silly word association games that his mind decided to plague him with...

Bonk.

Oh. That worked.

Rei picked up the golf ball, turning to the kid. Sporty with a baseball cap. Yeah, because that's just what he needed. "Heh, you know what they say, kids are brutally honest." He extended the golf ball. "Good shot."

@Sark @Capri @Takumi @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky @Minerva

Alice couldn't help but snicker as Rei got hit with the kid's golf ball and she insulted his cape. At least he didn't take offense, but it was still pretty funny.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Crunch @Minerva

INTERLUDE- The Father
"Pause the footage."
[click]
"What do you think?"
"And you, Mr.President?"
"
"Mmmmm... Matriach?"
"Yes, Mr.President?"
"Hmm.... Dismissed..."
"Don't call me that."
"I'm sorry?"
"It's a start. General?"
"Yes, Commander?"
"Of course, Commander."
View attachment 6909
"Big Boss..."
FATE OF THE OLD GODS
BLACKEST NIGHT

View attachment 6910
"It killed me...
"And yet...
"So here I am...

Valkyrie had learned it was best not to argue in situations like this. "Nay, if we are in haste thy can explain the situation on the way. Our foes are waiting."

???
@Sark @Yun Lee @Takumi

“Gee... thanks,”
the girl said, taking the ball from Rei’s hand, “Nobody’s actually said that to me...”

Placing the ball on the ground, the girl turned to Rei and slyly smiled, “Wanna see me do it again? Tell me which lame-o to bonk with this ball and I will,”

View attachment 6924

The first steps into the realm of the unknown are always made with weapons in-hand. Though, such scenery as this was not so unfamiliar as to be 'unknown.' The towering, pearlesque beams of Heaven's glory seemed just as hostile as the most blackened arcades of Hell's endless tunnels. It was all inhuman.

And it all warranted the buckshot shells he thumbed into the shotgun's twin barrels. The gun snapped shut with an upward flick of his wrist, the lone and foreboding Hellwalker slipping the gun's length into his back holster as he slowly stepped forward from the flash of light without so much as glaring at the scenery. The Doom Slayer himself - his dull green suit still caked with burns and scratches - stuck out in the seemingly 'perfect' landscape of the Temple like a thumb with third-degree wounds.

And yet the helmet masking his face remained unburdened with wear-and-tear. The marine wordlessly cocked his head up at the horizon, his eyes locking to a marble statue (one of many) erected around the temple. It depicted a beautiful woman wreathed in silken robes, raising what looked like a weapon to the heavens. One side of the weapon's length was a blade, much like a sword, while the other hand looked like a torch.

Two other, smaller figures - naked, disheveled people - cowered around the woman's legs, one gripping her free hand like how a child would hold the palm of their mother.

VEGA's voice crackled to life in his head. [The figure depicted in the statue seems to resemble the Khan Maykr.]

View attachment 6925

"..."

The Slayer snorted. A short, angry snort. He looked away from the monument and focused on Eli, silently walking to the front of the party, as if threatening to start walking on his own if someone didn't start leading him to their destination.

Heaven and Hell. It made no difference. Demons are everywhere.

@Sark @Capri @Takumi @Jeremi @Yun Lee @Lucky @Minerva

Alice frowned, crossing her arms as Eli spoke. While she knew the place beyond the gate well, she didn't want to look at it too long and instead focused on the downtrodden before them. So, these people were just left to rot in the dirt? She was rather familiar with sleeping out in the cold, all things considered. Renfred found her sleeping in a pile of rubbish for Pete's sake.

With Valkyrie and Henry showing up, the blonde scratched the back of her head.

"I could give it a shot I guess....unless you want to do it instead, Bro?" She eyed Eli as she said it. She didn't want to do it, not really.
"Up to you, Sis. If you want to take the lead, you're more than welcome to-- ah!"

A young, redheaded girl ran straight into the Captain's shoulder, cutting his sentence short. His brow grew tense for a moment.

"Sorry!" She cried, pulling the edge of her cape from his path. "Terribly sorry!"

"No I'm..." Eli squinted. "Do I know--?"

"Nope," She replied abruptly, her eyes dancing between Alice and Eli. "Nope. Sorry, I'm noone I--Gotta run!"

With a nervous bow, the girl vanished into the crowd.

"Strange..." Eli hummed. "Did she look... familiar? Or is it just me... Must be imagining things..."

Valkyrie had learned it was best not to argue in situations like this. "Nay, if we are in haste thy can explain the situation on the way. Our foes are waiting."
"Get back here!" A man pushed his way through the crowd. Sprinting and scowling, he cut straight through the Returned's walking caravan, almost bowling Valkyrie over with his deceptive strength. He struck the mud a few feet away from the party. He gritted his teeth and pounded the dirt. "Come on! We've got work to do!"

View attachment 6924
The Slayer snorted. A short, angry snort. He looked away from the monument and focused on Eli, silently walking to the front of the party, as if threatening to start walking on his own if someone didn't start leading him to their destination.

Heaven and Hell. It made no difference. Demons are everywhere.
Eli led the travelling party towards a large medical tent at the rear of the camp. He peeled back the canvas door and gestured for the Returned to step inside. In the back corner of the tent, a yellow-suited doctor watched over sickly refugee. She strummed upon a series of holographic medical devices of her own design, analyzing her patient's vital signs.
View attachment 6940
"This one's going to make it..." She called out over her shoulder. "It'll be a good few weeks before he's back on his feet, but he'll be alright."
An alien creature in the corner of the room released a sigh of relief. One of the camp's residents approached him and took a knee. He pulled back his sleeve to reveal a deep, infected wound.
View attachment 6950
"Ahh... excellent news, Doctor Natu," The Alien smiled, a cool, blue glow radiating from his body. Before the wounded resident could open his mouth to ask for help, Walker's glow was already hard at work repairing his injured flesh. "All will be well..."
View attachment 6951
"Maybe so..." The Light Monk stepped up from his desk and tossed a handful of files atop the great map of the Temple he had been studying. "We've got guests. Captain White. To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Ah, Eli!" Walker nodded. "How goes the war? Please! Introduce us to your friends!"

"I think they can introduce themselves, Saint..." Eli nodded in response. "As for the purpose of this visit... today's the day."

The Doctor stepped away from her patient.

"Reall? And what day might that be?" She sighed with suspicion.
View attachment 6952
"The Day we move against the Goddess." Eli smiled. He swung his arm to the side and gestured towards his new allies. "Meet the Returned. They're everything we've been waiting for. They're the ones who are going to make our dream a reality."

Saint Walker uncrossed his legs and floated towards the Slayer. He extended his hand in friendship.

"Excellent. More free thinkers! Welcome to Camp Alpha, friend. Please, make yourselves as comfortable as you can."

@Yun Lee @Takumi @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky @Capri @Minerva

"Up to you, Sis. If you want to take the lead, you're more than welcome to-- ah!"

A young, redheaded girl ran straight into the Captain's shoulder, cutting his sentence short. His brow grew tense for a moment.

"Sorry!" She cried, pulling the edge of her cape from his path. "Terribly sorry!"

"Nope," She replied abruptly, her eyes dancing between Alice and Eli. "Nope. Sorry, I'm noone I--Gotta run!"

"Strange..." Eli hummed. "Did she look... familiar? Or is it just me... Must be imagining things..."

"Get back here!" A man pushed his way through the crowd. Sprinting and scowling, he cut straight through the Returned's walking caravan, almost bowling Valkyrie over with his deceptive strength. He struck the mud a few feet away from the party. He gritted his teeth and pounded the dirt. "Come on! We've got work to do!"

Eli led the travelling party towards a large medical tent at the rear of the camp. He peeled back the canvas door and gestured for the Returned to step inside. In the back corner of the tent, a yellow-suited doctor watched over sickly refugee. She strummed upon a series of holographic medical devices of her own design, analyzing her patient's vital signs.
View attachment 6940
"This one's going to make it..." She called out over her shoulder. "It'll be a good few weeks before he's back on his feet, but he'll be alright."
An alien creature in the corner of the room released a sigh of relief. One of the camp's residents approached him and took a knee. He pulled back his sleeve to reveal a deep, infected wound.
View attachment 6950
"Ahh... excellent news, Doctor Natu," The Alien smiled, a cool, blue glow radiating from his body. Before the wounded resident could open his mouth to ask for help, Walker's glow was already hard at work repairing his injured flesh. "All will be well..."
View attachment 6951
"Maybe so..." The Light Monk stepped up from his desk and tossed a handful of files atop the great map of the Temple he had been studying. "We've got guests. Captain White. To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Ah, Eli!" Walker nodded. "How goes the war? Please! Introduce us to your friends!"

"I think they can introduce themselves, Saint..." Eli nodded in response. "As for the purpose of this visit... today's the day."

View attachment 6952
"The Day we move against the Goddess." Eli smiled. He swung his arm to the side and gestured towards his new allies. "Meet the Returned. They're everything we've been waiting for. They're the ones who are going to make our dream a reality."

Saint Walker uncrossed his legs and floated towards the Slayer. He extended his hand in friendship.

"Excellent. More free thinkers! Welcome to Camp Alpha, friend. Please, make yourselves as comfortable as you can."

Alice brought a hand to Eli's shoulder in case the girl nearly bowled him over, before watching her with a raised brow as she quickly made her escape into the crowd.

"I don't think I've seen her before, but she feels kind of familiar? Either way, might want to double-check for your wallet." She half-heartedly joked. She spent enough time on the streets to know that sometimes, it was still better to make sure you didn't have anything missing when bumping into some stranger.

"Name's Alice Swayne, nice to meet you." Alice introduced with a wave once their group mad their way inside the medical tent, curiously watching the doctors work.

"I've done all that I can, you should be fine with a bit of rest and a few more healing sessions." In one corner of the medical tent, a young woman was with her own patient in the process of healing them. Her back was turned to the group in whole, and with a small sigh she rubbed at her aching shoulder. With the healing session over and her patient leaving to go about their day she turned to the group.

"Good to see you, Captain White. If any of you guys are injured, I can heal you." She offered, placing her hands on her hips as she spoke.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Jeremi @Lucky @Crunch @Minerva

JEFFREY KOVAL
@Sark @Yun Lee @Takumi @Jeremi @Lucky @Crunch @Minerva

“Oh! Uh... Jeff... just Jeff’s fine,”
Jeff said. He still can’t get over how he’s actually seeing real comic book characters like Green Lanterns and stuff, but there’s more important stuff at hand.

???

“I’m not giving my name to you bunch of lame-os,”
the sporty girl said, a throwing her golf ball up and down in her hand.

"Perhaps we could try to avoid sending any more patients my way?"

Rei tensed as an all-too-familiar voice resonated in his ear. A man walked up beside the child, smiling at her in spite of the exhaustion painted plainly on his face.

latest

"You should really be more careful. I know it's nice to enjoy recreation at a time like this, but..." He trailed off, eyes narrowing as he noticed the man before him. "...Rei Amayado. What a surprise."

"Well, well. If it isn't the good doctor himself." Rei stood up, grinning at the other man. "What are you doing out here, Jakurai?"

"Answering the same call that you did a month ago," Jakurai replied. "You went missing and the Society needed some additional assistance."

"Ah, so they needed multiple folks back home, is that it? Think your lawyer friend is gonna join us next?"

Jakurai frowned at that. "I don't think there's any law to be found in this place. And even if there was..." He trailed off, but Rei got the message. He wouldn't want his own worst enemy stuck in this mess. The conman couldn't help but wonder what the Party was holding over the doctor's head.

As they made their way to the medical tent, Jakurai looked at the group. "So, you're the Returned...I've heard a bit about you here and there, but never anything concrete. My name is Jakurai Jinguji, and it's an honor to finally meet you all."

@Sark @Takumi @Capri @Crunch @Lucky @Minerva

"Perhaps we could try to avoid sending any more patients my way?"

Rei tensed as an all-too-familiar voice resonated in his ear. A man walked up beside the child, smiling at her in spite of the exhaustion painted plainly on his face.

latest

"You should really be more careful. I know it's nice to enjoy recreation at a time like this, but..." He trailed off, eyes narrowing as he noticed the man before him. "...Rei Amayado. What a surprise."

"Well, well. If it isn't the good doctor himself." Rei stood up, grinning at the other man. "What are you doing out here, Jakurai?"

"Answering the same call that you did a month ago," Jakurai replied. "You went missing and the Society needed some additional assistance."

"Ah, so they needed multiple folks back home, is that it? Think your lawyer friend is gonna join us next?"

Jakurai frowned at that. "I don't think there's any law to be found in this place. And even if there was..." He trailed off, but Rei got the message. He wouldn't want his own worst enemy stuck in this mess. The conman couldn't help but wonder what the Party was holding over the doctor's head.

As they made their way to the medical tent, Jakurai looked at the group. "So, you're the Returned...I've heard a bit about you here and there, but never anything concrete. My name is Jakurai Jinguji, and it's an honor to finally meet you all."

@Sark @Takumi @Capri @Crunch @Lucky @Minerva

tumblr_inline_p8av2wylOy1s6v5zp_100.png

"If you want less patients coming to you, you can always send them my way, Jakurai." The young woman from before spoke up. Though she looked rather tired herself.

tumblr_inline_p8av32Nd5n1s6v5zp_100.png

"I'm Katara, by the way." She greeted, briefly waving to the group.

"So he's from your world, eh?" Alice asked Rei, crossing her arms. Small multiverse it seems.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Crunch @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva

View attachment 6940
View attachment 6950
View attachment 6951

View attachment 6952

"Are thou alright?" Valkyrie picked up the man who had fallen into the mud in one swift motion as she continued to follow the others to their destination. "Thine feet were faster than thine thoughts it seems!"

As they met up with the new people Valkyrie was ready to introduce herself. "Well met! Thou stands with Valkyrie as new companions of arms against the vile horde of the Goddess!"

Alice brought a hand to Eli's shoulder in case the girl nearly bowled him over, before watching her with a raised brow as she quickly made her escape into the crowd.

"I don't think I've seen her before, but she feels kind of familiar? Either way, might want to double-check for your wallet." She half-heartedly joked. She spent enough time on the streets to know that sometimes, it was still better to make sure you didn't have anything missing when bumping into some stranger.

"Name's Alice Swayne, nice to meet you." Alice introduced with a wave once their group mad their way inside the medical tent, curiously watching the doctors work.
"Double check my..." Eli started patting himself down. He slowly threw his head back and sighed. "C.O.R.I... her holographic projector is gone."

"Gone?" The Light Monk thinned his eyes. "You've lost one of the most significant weapons in our arsenal?"

"I haven't lost her, she has been stolen."

"And that's better?"

"Relax, Toren. C.O.R.I.'s strong. She'd swifter delete herself than fall into the Empire's hand. The Projector is encrypted, and we have a spare copy of her A.I. back at Valla..."

"That's rather callous, Eli, don't you think?"
Walker tilted his head. "Her soul may be made of code, but she can think and feel as much as the rest of us. Perhaps we should go retrieve her?"

"We could use her help about now, Eli,"
Doctor Natu stepped away from her patient's side and approached Toren's table. "She's smart."

"We don't have time to head back to Valla. We don't have time to look for her. We need to work with what we've got."

"If that's how you feel, Eli, I can't change that... but perhaps we should ask your friends how they feel?"

"Are thou alright?" Valkyrie picked up the man who had fallen into the mud in one swift motion as she continued to follow the others to their destination. "Thine feet were faster than thine thoughts it seems!"
"Thank you, I'm fine. I--" The boy wheezed, dusting himself off. He brushed his white hair from his face and stared dead into Valkyrie's eyes. "Shit. Can't be here. You see where Willow went? Shit. Forget I asked. Thanks for your help-- bye!"

Without another work, the teen sprinted off into the crowd, leaving deep, muddy foot prints in his wake.

“Oh! Uh... Jeff... just Jeff’s fine,” Jeff said. He still can’t get over how he’s actually seeing real comic book characters like Green Lanterns and stuff, but there’s more important stuff at hand.
As they met up with the new people Valkyrie was ready to introduce herself. "Well met! Thou stands with Valkyrie as new companions of arms against the vile horde of the Goddess!"
"Valkryie, Rei, Alice, Jeff, she-who-will-not-share-her-name, it's good to finally meet you all," Walker gave the Returned a welcoming smile. "I only wish we were meeting under more... amiable conditions. I trust that you're here for the book?"
View attachment 6962
"The Book?" Izana scowled. "I thought we were here for the girl... we're here for Flayn?"

"Flayn!"
Toren's eyes widened. He turned back to face Eli. "What happened to the book? What happened to the meeting? The basement? Should we add it to the list, or...?"

"We'll do them all, Toren. That's what the Returned are for. We're going to do them
all."

@Jeremi
@Takumi @Yun Lee @Crunch @Capri @Lucky

Back