The Haunting of Tranquility Cove

Theo’s eyes widened in alarm and he took a step back, hands up in a placating gesture. His confused gaze flickered between Barbara and Charles, trying to find a scrap of sympathy or reason in either one of them. Surely they had to see that he couldn’t possibly be behind this! He was as confused as they were.

“Wait, wait,” he said. “What are you talking about? I’m not in a cult, and I’m not playing a game! I just want to make sure my cousin is ok, that’s the only reason I’m even on this island. What do you mean phantom, anyways? Look at the photo I gave you, my dog is right there with her!”

Still, he sat down a little ways away from them, watching the pair suspiciously. It looked as though he wouldn’t be able to get any help from these two. It was a shame, too. He’d thought that they’d looked helpful, but it seemed as though they were just crazy. The woman was, at least. The boy seemed alright, although the only thing he seemed to use his head for was for growing hair.

Barbara leaned toward him despite her earlier warning to him to stay away. "Like hell you aren't involved! Guess what the lady just told me? She told me the parade got rerouted because it usually ends at the lighthouse, and the lighthouse is currently off-limits. And do you know why the lighthouse is off-limits? Because-" she leaned even closer and hissed, "there's a body hanging from it! Explain how you are not involved after last night, hmm? Unless you are going to say it's all a plot aimed at you and last night they - whoever they are - got the wrong room. Explain that! You can't, can you?" She finally paused for a breath. She was getting scared, and while other people ran away when they got scared, she got pissed and started swinging.

Charles lifted his head and glanced between them. He opened his mouth... then shoved a tiny muffin in it and ducked his head again. He had an idea, an important idea, but there was no way he was getting in the middle of this. He was going to keep his fluffy head down until they could go home. Home couldn't happen fast enough! Maybe he'd finally quit for real and join a band.

Theo’s face turned white with shock as Barbara described what had happened. His head spun as he realized what she was saying, the sudden horror shocking him awake. He stared at her in disbelief, wondering if this was some kind of sick joke.

“Y-you’re kidding, right?” he asked, looking to the boy in the hopes that he had something saner to say. “That’s not real, is it? It can’t be!”

He leaned in closer, lowering his voice so that the innkeeper wouldn’t hear. Was this a bad dream? That had to be it. He had to be asleep...but if he was asleep, surely he wouldn’t feel so tired!

“You mean that program was real?” he asked in a hoarse whisper. “You have to know I had nothing to do with it! I’m as confused as you are here. Please, you have to believe me! If you want to go to the police, I’ll go there with you! I don’t know what’s going on here either, but I’m starting to get scared.”

"Uh-huh, I'm sooo taken in by your absolutely amazing and totally believable acting," Barbara drawled before turning away and crossing her legs. "Beat it, bozo. You are barking up the wrong tree here."

Charles swallowed hard and looked at his empty plate. There was nothing left to put in his mouth. "Um..."

Barbara's eyes swung over to him. "What??"

Charles winced, but he knew that saying something like, "never mind," or "nothing," would only make her more mad, so he forged ahead less than valiently. "Um... just thinking... but shouldn't we try to... you know... report on this?"

Barbara glared at him, but she didn't shoot his idea down imediately.

"I mean, I know that suicides are double grody, but we are reporters, and it'll be awhile before this whale things starts. I don't know why you're wiggin' out, but this is, like, totally your scene, Barbara. Besides, if Theo dude was really in on it, he wouldn't be as wigged out at you right now," Charles finished bravely.

Barbara considered, he foot bouncing. "Fine," she said shortly. She gave Theo a look. "I still don't trust you, and the haunted theme is totally bogus, but something happened, and Charles is right."

Theo sighed. This woman was crazy, there were no two ways about it. At least the kid seemed to have some sense to him, emptyheaded as he was.

“I don’t care if you trust me or not,” he said, “but I’m going too. I need to know what’s going on just as much as you do, especially if my cousin might be involved! You’re right, Charles. This is really freaky. By the way, are the scrambled eggs any good?”

He looked over the smorgasbord of breakfast foods, trying to decide what he wanted. Muffins, bacon, overcooked eggs, an entire black eel coiled on a plate...after a moment, he decided that he wasn’t all that hungry anyways. The eel seemed to stare at him, glassy eyes boring deep into his head. He didn’t like the sensation at all, and turned away. Who ate eels for breakfast, anyways? Who ate eels at all?

Barbara rolled her eyes and turned away. Men and their food! She finished her glass of orange juice and stood. "I'm going to get my bag. Charles, don't forget your camera." She marched away, stiff-backed, refusing to show any weakness. She was not going to be taken in! She was far too rational for all this! She had heard the rumors, though, and rumors started somewhere. She was going to uncover this cult or sick prank or whatever it was, and then the station would take her seriously as a journalist.

"Everything tastes good with salt and catsup," Charles smirked. He took one more piece of eel, dunked it in at least half a cup of catsup, and ate it in one gulp. "Gotta get the bags. Is your dog coming?" He touched his hair carefully to make sure it was still good.

Theo watched as the boy gulped down a piece of eel, wondering how he could possibly be hungry enough to eat such a slimy creature. He couldn’t imagine eating one himself, although something told him that he’d probably end up trying one sooner or later. Chugging the rest of his coffee, he nodded.

“Yeah,” he said. “He’s coming, I’ll go wake him up in a minute. He goes everywhere, really. By the way, I figure you ought to know. The reason I was in Barbara’s room last night was because I-”

He was cut off by a sudden bang as the door slammed open and a crusty-looking old fisherman came in hauling a large plastic bucket. The man squinted at the two of them for a moment before placing the bucket down, splashing water over the carpet.

“Hey!” he called, his voice gruff and hoarse. “Pricilla! Catch of the day’s here, come and get it!”

The owner of the Whalebone Inn ran out from the kitchen, glancing briefly into the bucket before handing the man a few bills. The fisherman tipped his hat to her and walked off, leaving her to drag the bucket into the kitchen. As she passed, Theo and Charles would see that it was full of thrashing, squirming eels.

Charles smirked at Theo as he started to explain then jumped at the bang. He turned to look at the bucket of eels. "Like, gag me with a spoon, dude, those things are, like, grody to the max! I gotta find some real grindage today." He stood and stretched. "I gotta bounce. Meet you in a minute, zeek."

Barbara returned as Charles sauntered off and wrinkled her nose at the bucket. She only had a second to catch a glimpse, but a glimpse was all she needed. So nasty! But she'd had time to cool down and collect herself after the disturbing morning events, and she returned to the table, keeping her reporter bag tight to her side.

"Okay," she sighed to Theo. "Maybe you're telling the truth. Maybe. There's something real strange going on around here, and I'm going to figure out what it is. Your cousin is probably in it up to her eyebrows, so we can stick together, but don't think for a second I'm some helpless damsel. Full partners in this or nothing. Deal?"

Theo was still trying to decipher exactly what it was that Charles had said when Barbara returned, but gave it up as a fruitless effort. He was relieved to hear that the reporter had apparently come to her senses and wondered briefly what had caused the sudden change in heart, but decided that he’d best not look a gift horse in the mouth. She was willing to help, and that was all that mattered at the moment.

“Thanks,” he said. “That sounds good to me. For what it’s worth, I never thought you were a helpless damsel or anything...but anyways, something weird really is going on here. Lemme go get Clipper and I’ll be ready to go. I’ve got no appetite anymore after looking at all those eels.”

He hurried upstairs and retrieved the dog, who had clearly hadn’t suffered from his owner’s bout of insomnia in the slightest. Dog retrieved, he headed back downstairs, looking around to make sure Charles hadn’t returned.

“By the way,” he said to Barbara, glancing over his shoulder. “Do you understand what that Charles kid says? I can’t make heads or tails of it half the time.”

Barbara waited at the table for Theo to return, making some notes in her pad. She made a note about everything that had happened so far, including approximate times. She stood as soon as Theo returned and tucked her book away. "Charles? Yes, it's not so hard. Just listen for the intent of the word rather than the actual word being said. Works for almost any language, really," she shrugged. She looked down at the dog and sighed. "Does the dog really have to come?"

Charles ambled up a second later, running a comb up his hair. "Got everything, Barbara! Let's bounce!" He gave Clipper the eye. "Just don't eat my shoes, okay, dude?"

“I can’t very well leave him in the room, can I?” asked Theo, petting the dog on the head. “It’d be cruel. Besides, he’s not going to cause any trouble. Right, Clipper?”

The dog looked up as his name was called, then turned to watch as Charles came down the stairs. As the boy eyeballed him, he stared right back, tongue hanging out. No promises were made regarding Charles’ shoes or the edibility thereof.

As the group made their way through the fog to the lighthouse, all three would notice faint whispers at the edges of their hearing. They were just barely loud enough to be audible, faint enough that they could almost be discounted as just overactive imagination. Theo tried to ignore them, deciding not to mention it. He didn’t need Barbara to suddenly decide that he was crazy again after finally choosing to believe him. As they approached the lighthouse, they would find the road roped off and blocked by a single police car, with a few officers milling about.

Barbara sighed in resignation while Charles checked his shoes. Then they were off! If Charles heard any voices, he didn't say. He was busy making certain the excess moisture didn't hurt his camera. Barbara heard the voices, but they were just other people talking, obviously. It wasn't like they were the only people in town, after all. Other people would be out getting ready for this stupid whale festival.

When they arrived at the lighthouse, Barbara studied the situation for a second then turned her back on the police. "Okay, here's what we're going to do," she said, fluffing her hair and adjusting her blouse. "Charles, hang back but have the camera rolling. Try to keep the sound clear. I'm going to go up and talk to the police, but I've seen this kind of thing before. My guess is they are not going to let us just waltz in there and answer every question, so you, Theo, are going to casually let your dog lead you around and do... whatever dogs do while you try to find us a way in there. Got it? Good."

She turned and bounced toward the police before either of them could argue. Charles sighed in resignation and trailed after her, getting as much scenery in the shots as he could so they could argue public land or something.

"Hi!" Barbara greeted the officers. "I heard something dreadful happened, and I wanted to thank you profusely for doing such a good job in taking care of business, and I wanted to extend my condolences as well. I mean that, truly, but I also hoped you could please answer a few questions to lay rumors to rest?" She looked at them, bright and hopeful.

“Wait a second,” said Theo. “Wait, that sounds like the hardest job! How am I supposed to-”

He trailed off as Barbara walked away, realizing that his protests were going to get him nowhere. So much for even partners. Sighing, he wandered off the sidewalk and tried to make his way around the roadblock, walking deep into the fog to avoid being seen. Clipper followed at his heels, sticking close by and sniffing nervously at the fog.

The police officer squinted at Barbara, wiping a bit of condensation off his mustache. He didn’t seem impressed by her condolences or her fluffed hair, nor did he look particularly amused at Charles and his camera.

“We’ll release a press statement at a later time pending further investigation,” he said. “Who are you, by the way. You’re not with the Whale Tale or the TCBS, I’d recognize you. Are you a mainlander?”

Chaaaaaarles, whispered the voice in the fog into Charles’ ear. Come heeeeeere.

"I'm from a news station on the mainland, yes, and I was here to cover the whale festival," Barbara explained truthfully. "Our viewers already know the parade normally ends at the lighthouse, and they will be curious to know why the route is changed. I'm not asking for a major statement, sir, just a couple of details? If I don't get anything, my producers are going to chew me up like a dog with a bone. Just something? Anything?"

Charles lifted his head from the camera, still keeping it stead. He frowned and rubbed his ears. What was that? He thought he'd heard somebody calling him. Barbara was still chatting with the police, so it couldn't have been her. He glanced toward Theo, just able to make out a dog and man shape in the mist. Maybe it was him. He returned his attention to the camera. Whoever it was for whatever reason, they'd have to wait. He had little curiosity, and was not interested in getting chewed out by Barbara for leaving his post.

Chaaaarles, the voice called, louder this time. It couldn’t be Theo, it was definitely a woman’s voice. Quite a nice voice, too. Silky smooth and alluring, it sounded like the sort of voice one might hear on some tv drama...or perhaps a mysterious late-night broadcast. It seemed to come from the direction of the lighthouse, or perhaps the cliffs behind it.

Chaaaarles. Come here, I’ll give you a kiss. Wouldn’t you like that, Charles? You’ve got such nice hair. Come to me, to the sea. The sea is where the love is. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Theo, meanwhile, managed to sneak off the path and out of sight of the cop. It seemed that such a small island couldn’t divert many policemen to a something like this during festival time, and so it was easy to sneak under the barriers and make his way towards the lighthouse. The light was still on, its beam circling over the island in slow, steady cycles. Now, if only he could figure out a way to get Barbara in here…he could see her back on the road now, still talking to the cop. He waved, ducking down behind a bush in case the policeman turned.

“Mainlanders,” snorted the policeman. “Since when do mainlanders care what happens out on the island? I’ll give you a statement, miss mainlander. A tragic incident occurred here late last night resulting in the death of a beloved member of the community. I’m sure the family wouldn’t like you mainlanders sticking your cameras all over the scene either, so you’d best go off and suck on an eel.”

Off in the distance, a foghorn blared. The low, haunting tone echoed over the island like a giant trumpet, blasting three times before going silent.

That was a lovely voice, and she liked his hair! Charles perked up and turned slightly toward the voice. He wasn't sure about how forward she was, offering a kiss just like that, but who was he to complain? He glanced toward Barbara in annoyance. Hurry up, already!

"I'm coming, Miss!" he called back distractedly. "Just a minute."

Barbara smiled brilliantly. "Thank you for the help, sir. I actually have already sucked on an eel this morning. It tastes quite good with catsup and eggs." She gave a smart nod and started backing away as she heard Charles' voice in the distance. Not now! "We shall treat this trajic event with the respect it desearves and do our best to help and stay out of the way of law enforcement."

Charles was getting antsy. Why was Barbara taking so long? He feared her wrath too much to leave, but ooooo, what if the lady didn't stay?

“You can suck my eel next,” muttered the police officer, waving her off as she backed away. Seeing that she was just about finished, Theo took the time to sneak back around the barricade, making sure to take a wide route to stay hidden in the fog. He popped back up a little ways down the road from the police roadblock, waving for Charles and Barbara to come.

“We can get in over here,” he said, gesturing off the road. “The fog will hide us pretty well, so as long as you’re quiet it’ll be easy. Still, are you sure this is a good idea? This whole thing is weird and creepy, but it is still a police line. If you’re sure you want to do it, though, all we gotta do is sneak around this way.”

Come here and kiss me, Chaaaarles, called the voice once more. Do you like sports, Charles? I sure do. I’ll bet you can get to second base. Come quick, though. It’s getting boring, sitting here on my own.

Barbara resisted the urge to stick her tongue out at the policeman. The nerve! Just because she was from a place separated by a puddle of water, that did not mean she wasn't worth talking to! These people. They acted like their island was some kind of special, sacred place that no one else understood. No, that no one else deserved to understand. The whole place was like some kind of cult. Not a full on, wearing-your-mother's-black-drapes cult, but like some kind of weird convent or something. Freaky. She made some notes as she walked, scowling at how the humidity was curling the edges of her notepad.

When she reached Theo and heard his report, she grinned. "Excellent work! Come on, Charles." To her absolute shock, Charles shoved his camera bag into her arms.

"I need a quick break. I'll catch up. Meet you at the... yeah... later," Charles mumbled distractedly before hurrying off into the fog.

Barbara gaped after him before managing the oh-so intelligant, "Huh??" She shook her head, baffled. "What the... what's with him?" She had to put the bag down, grunting at the weight.

Theo watched the boy run off into the fog, eyes wide with shock. Wasn’t this guy the one that seemed nervous about the whole thing? Wouldn’t it be a better idea for them all to stick together? He watched Charles run off for a moment, then turned to Barbara, mouth hanging open in confusion.

“Uh...is this normal?” he asked, still not sure what had just happened. “Should we follow him? We probably should, shouldn’t we.”

He started to run off in the direction that Charles had gone, off the path and into the fog.

The alluring, beckoning voice led Charles off the path and down a steep hill to the beach, a narrow strip of sand between the side of the cliff and the iron-grey sea. Behind him, the steep rocky cliff vanished into the fog. The lighthouse was invisible from all the way down here, but its beam of light could still be seen through the fog when it rotated over him. Once he finally made it down to the beach, he’d see a figure approach him from within the fog. It would be difficult to make it out at first, but the shape in the mist would soon reveal herself to be a young woman with bouncy golden curls and a figure that he’d once described as “phat to the max.”

“Chaaaarles,” she said, her voice clearer than he’d heard before. “It’s so nice to see you. Come here, Charles.”

She wore jeans and a tight sea-green t-shirt, both of which were entirely soaked through. Strangely, though, she didn’t look particularly cold and her hair didn’t seem wet at all.

"No, no it's not. What just happened?" Barbara demanded, bewildered. Then she realized Theo was already heading off. "Wait! Where are- I can't carry this! I-" She huffed iin annoyanced and heaved the heavy camera bag over her shoulder before tottering off after Theo. "Wait for me! I need to report on this! Camera would be nice. No one will believe us!" She should have saved her breath, she realized.

Charles gaped at the woman. "Golly," he gulped, something happening in the general area of his trousars. He gulped and grinned bashfully, wishing he still had his bag so his could hold it at his waist. "Hello, Miss. Hi. Have we met? I don't recognize you, but... golly," he stammered, standing on the edge of the water. "Why are you out there?"

Back