Equinox The High Palace

Barnaby was still trying to catch his breath. He hadn't gotten a beating like that before, and wasn't used to it. He was hard-headed, but his stamina left something to be desired. He was a little frustrated at the fact that he couldn't land a single hit on Tittanna, but knew that a knight would probably know much more than he would about how to fight. It was a bit of a surprise to be told that such training was the norm around there, but Barnaby had to admit that he expected it to be as such.

"Training is always like that? I can see why Liam didn't want me to join, heheh."

Barnaby knew how protective Liam could be. Though the guy's usually calm, he does get to be overprotective at times.

"But, I'm no child. I'm thirteen! I've been training myself since he left. I can handle it, even if he thinks I can't. One of these days, when I finally get the chance to go through training, I'll prove to him that I can take what's thrown at me!"

Further within the palace---

The room was rather well furnished for a study room, books lining the walls, some written in languages of other places. Statues of art carved in marble, fashioned out of wood or stone of various colors. Maps and charts lined the intricate tabletop. Writing utensils were scattered every which way. The fire place flickered with a low flame, casting odd shadows about in the castle room, who's rather large glass windows revealed that twilight was in its final hour. A chair was pulled to the desk, but its occupant had ceased his business of writing ages ago, twiddling between thumb and finger a large quill feather of a rather well known bird of prey in the area. He was lost in thought, as he was most days now. Memories kept him company more often than not while he sat here. But those too, seemed to be fading now.

A soft rap on the door announced the arrival of a man who seemed to be only in his mid thirties. A rather scrawny fellow by the name of Perill who was often sent around the palace for errands for the Royal Family. Nervously he approached the man in the chair, who had by all accounts awakened from his daydreaming. The man straightened and took the letter away from the trembling hands of Perill.

As the man read the letter, a flame of anger began to burn behind his weathered grey hues. Eyes that often were compared to the very raptor bird that had dropped the quill he had been playing with. "He left with Esther again?!" He roared furiously.

At the roar of anger, Merida didn't flinch - more focused on the quill that bounced to the carpet than the fury that followed. She rose from her seat near the back of the room, closed a leather bound book with a soft flap, and folded her hands.

Maybe a stronger woman would've demanded to see the letter, but Merida knew the value of waiting. With a man like the one seated in the chair, she hardly had to wait long.

Fitting, she mused, glancing at the nervous deliverer, for a man who heard so much shouting to be named after mortal danger.

Titanna sighed and looked to the boy. She knew it was going to be futile to prove anything to him at the moment.

Silently she handed over the paperwork to Barnaby. "If you really want to join up for the military training, all you have to do is sign that piece of paper and return it to one of the guards. You'll be moved into the barracks and you'll begin your training as soon as you arrive. For several months, you'll not be allowed to leave the grounds under any circumstances. You will not be able to see your brother during this time too. Of course, you may remember this for when he joined.."

Slowly she pushed herself off the wall. "But.." She stated in a way that seemed that he should take heed to her next words. ".. I want you to go home and actually think on it for a while. Give it a couple of weeks, let your bruises from today heal up at least. If I catch you back in here any sooner, you'll find that the little warm up I gave you earlier will be the least of your pains and worries." She warned. "Be sure this is actually what you want. You're right, your not a kid anymore. But you have a long life ahead of you, and military life isn't all the adventure its cracked up to be."

Perill nodded furiously. "I-I found that letter on her bed. She apparently slipped out this morning with Ruairi, m-m'lord." He said meekly. The elder man pinched the bridge between his eyes and waved the poor man out of the room. One would quite literally think that Perill never touched the ground as he made his exit. "Damned it all.." He said, standing from his chair with some effort. He turned to Merida, handing the silent woman the letter. "Our daughter decided very conveniently to take a vacation. Gods know where, she doesn't mention.." He rumbled. "This will make the third time this year she's decided to disappear before we can introduce her to an arranged meeting with one of the sons of the nobles we've been trying to make treaty with.."

Slowly, he moved the window to look down upon the kingdom below; A kingdom he had built himself a long time ago with blood and steel. Victor leaned against the stone, his fist clasped. "And I don't think it was any of her ideas either. Those books she reads of adventure and true love. Hrmph. I doubt Ruairi is any help either, coaxing her to follow her own path for her own self interest instead of bettering the kingdom. What am I suppose to tell Viscount Falkenrath when he arrives tomorrow? That his princess is in another castle? Bah!" Of course, they had been looking for candidates for an arranged marriage for Esther for a while now. Esther had pretty much avoided every one of them some how, or rudely told them exactly what she thought of the situation.

Victor released a tired sigh. Most of the time, many could see the warrior he still was. Sharp as a whip, strong as an ox, Victor had aged well over the years. Well, to the eye, anyway. "I'm beginning to wonder if Ruairi is doing this on purpose. He knew the Viscount was arriving tomorrow. Why would he agree to take her out on this escapade otherise?" He muttered, mostly to himself.

She read the letter quickly, chewing at the inside of her lip as she did so. She lifted the page to hide a slight, quick smile, then lowered it, nodding seriously even as Victor's back turned.

"One knows that books can brainwash a child so easily," Merida responded, her voice dry, clipped, as she folded the letter neatly, placed it on a nighstand gently. She slid it so that it matched the exact corners of the table, let her fingers rest against it. She watched the temper smolder within him. Clinically, Victor was a beautiful man - even in his advancing age, he commanded a room with his size, his voice. Merida knew that he could give a certain look, and it'd make you weak in the knees from the force of it.

Their daughter, however, was immune to those particular strategies.

"Perhaps," she began, her voice quiet, "you see conspiracies where there are none."

The moment she started talking about allowing him to train, feelings of astonishment and glee filled Barnaby up faster than a mug of ale at a tavern on a festive night. He was finally getting a chance to fulfill his dream. Not only that, it was being offered by an actual knight! He didn't expect it, and he didn't think that such thing would happen, but it was. He could finally start his way to becoming a knight...a hero!

"R-Really?!"

Although Barnaby hadn't paid as much attention to the words she spoke afterwards, he still listened. He was to return home, wait for a few weeks, and heal. He felt as if he didn't need to think on it, though. He had made his decision a long time ago, and he wasn't going to change his mind now or in the weeks to come. He looked at Tittanna with eyes filled with determination and excitement.

"Yes, ma'am! Thank you!"

With that, Barnaby left. On his way out, he rushed past Liam. The guard did not flinch when the boy passed by, but Barnaby stopped. He...felt bad about arguing with him earlier. Brothers of their kind should never do that. Still, it was in the Past now. Nothing to be done to change it. Still, the boy felt that he at least owed him an apology, if Liam would accept it.

"Liam..." he started.

His brother said nothing, and continued to keep watch. Barnaby cast his eyes down, turned away, and began his small journey back home. The guard watched him walk, and would have sighed if not for the fact that he was still on his post. He'd have to sigh later...

Victor gave a look that she would know he wasn't convinced. He sighed and rubbed his face tiredly before turning to face his wife, worry on his face. "You don't know Ruairi as well as I do.." He muttered quietly, reaching out to gently hold her arms in his hands. He had no love for her, and he was certain the feeling was mutual. But they had gained a mutual respect with each other for what it was worth.

"Ruairi is sly as a fox. Everything he does has a unseen purpose..." He warned.

She smiled uncertainly, leaning back slightly from his touch even as he held her arms. He was very... touchy, she'd discovered - a raw, physical man to his core. She preferred the comfort of distance to the up close and personal, and it had taken some getting used to when he'd make his point while touching some part of her.

It wasn't entirely unpleasant, but nor was it desired.

"Everything everyone does," she said, "has an unseen purpose, Victor. It doesn't mean his purpose is to bring harm to the child."

-Outside the palace, a few days later-

Titanna walked through the hallways of the palace, dressed in travel leathers that were simply tailored except for the family crest that was burned into one of the shoulders. She walked with purpose towards the guards, having received orders from the High King himself to do some investigation. But she was not to go alone into this matter. She would need a guard or two to follow her for a few days while she traveled to a few towns.

She walked towards the guard shack, seeing a few men and women there shifting shifts. The flame-haired woman cleared her throat. "I need a few men to follow me for a couple of days by order of the High King. There will be an extra pay and rations for individuals who come with me. I would like volunteers, but if I have to I will make the picks myself." Titanna said loudly. "For anyone coming with me, come stand with me here."

Victor sighed and released her just as gently as he had held her, walking away from the window and back towards the smoldering fire. "I don't think he will harm the child, Merida. He loves our children, he's kept them and watched them for years as their guardian. These recent escapes are different though. He's been having her avoid her duties as a princess, having her leave when she is needed here the most. Would he harm her, no. But use her against us? Most likely." He grumbled.

"I'll need to send scouts out to search for them.. I'm not going to put up with this again. Esther will need to be punished for her disobedience..." He said, a pained look coming over his face.

"And I must find what to do with Ruairi as well.."

When Titania informed the guards of her request Ron might of been the first to line. His reasoning was that it was his job. Plus he was gonna get paid more that would mean the rest of his family could afford a good meal instead of rotten fruits and moldy bread. The red-headed guard stood strait and silent next to the knight. He had a nervous feeling in his gut he was thinking things across the lines of "What if I die?!" and "This is suicide.".

Over the course of the passing days, Liam tried to keep his focus off of what had happened with his brother. It wasn't in his best interests to fight against a decision that was not his own, even if he did want his brother to choose a different path for life. So he continued to suffer the monotony of his luck and his job. When Tittanna arrived with a request for guards to assist her, Liam was conflicted. On the one hand, she did provide Barnaby a chance to train, despite knowing that he didn't the kid to join yet. On the other, this was a chance to escape the monotony for a moment. Of course, if he did choose to go with her, he would probably seem a bit hypocritical.

Still, in his thoughts, there was something that he needed to know.

"Sir Tittanna, as much as I want to help out, what exactly is it that you want us to do?"

It wasn't entirely a matter of fear, although it would lying if Liam were to think that it didn't factor in. It was more a matter of communication. Accepting to do something you have absolutely no knowledge about wasn't the smartest thing to do, after all.

She opened her mouth to speak, but Merida hesitated, the sound of breath sweeping into her lungs and lips parting filling the room. She linked her fingers together, looking down at her flawlessly kept nails, soft palms. She'd never known the work of Victor, of how to put together a kingdom out of less than willing pieces, of how to keep it together by force of will.

Such a strong man, a large man. And yet so weak when it came to his children.

"Perhaps," she said, thinking of her own, "it's best that he were to go on a ranging."

Titanna bit her lip. "We are doing a scouting mission. We are gathering information on a certain group of people. You are to go with me and help me be my eyes and ears for a while, as I can't be everywhere." She said simply. She nodded towards Ron in acknowledgement of his acceptance.

Ron nodded back not saying a word. He was happy that he was acknowledged by Titania. He continued to stand strait and silent until her next request or order.

It wasn't much information, but it was enough to work off of. Scouting wasn't exactly what he was expecting, but Liam would take seeing new sights over staring at the same one for hours any day. The guard walked up to Tittanna's other side, and stood next to her. He wanted in on this mission.

Ron watched as another volunteer walked up and felt a little more comfortable when walking next to Titania. His head was a place of happiness on the inside. He was so happy-go-lucky he couldn't have any bad thoughts even if he wanted to. So he stayed like this and wanted to keep his happy thought.

Victor raised an eyebrow at his wife. "I tried that during the war." He stated softly. "And each time, he came back. Successful. He was becoming too influential within the ranks, too strong. And at that time, too strong minded of his own. He was a risk to breaking up our army at a crucial time of our take over." Victor admitted. "So I needed to get him away. Sent him and his men to a mission I knew would be suicidal with the number I gave him. He came back, only having lost a handful of men in the fight.." He said quietly.

"He is one of the reasons my army won the war. He is nearly unmatched in his prowess of the battlefield, a very skilled swordsmen as well. And he will do anything to make sure his mission is a success. No.. No, I doubt that will work, and I would imagine he would gather why he was sent so suddenly to a mission lesser men would fail."

"Damned it all the hell.." He cursed, moving back to his chair and lowering himself slowly back into it. There he held his hand up to his eyes and stared at his rough palm. The palm of a man who had fought for everything he had in his life. The scarred hand of a man who had lost so much to bring change to the people he loved. The trembling hand of a man who had not held his blade in near 20 passing years. A man, who felt had so much more to do, but was tiring. He was not young anymore, and he knew it. His time on the battlefield, skating his old friend Death by a breath, would catch up to him soon enough. He didn't have enough time on his side anymore.

"No.." He sighed quietly. "He's too clever for that.. But he will have to die.. And I will ensure he does.."

In the Guard Shack

Before Titania had entered Gattrand was desperately trying to find a way to pass time, holding a glass of wine in his hand, spinning it slightly to watch the wine slush around within. He wanted to be sent out on another assignment, but he always had to wait for orders. So when Titania came in asking for a few volunteers he immediately stood up, planting the tip on his sword on the ground and standing in proper military stance as he exclaimed "I'll volunteer!" before eagerly making his way to the slowly growing number of volunteers. Then once putting his sword back into it's hilt he asked "So, what's the mission?".

Back