The Horrors of War

Xelian

Magical Cat
The sounds of the medieval swords clashing against one another, the fear that they will find your family, the constant panic that the day will be your last, the pride that you are one of many to protect your kingdom, these are some of the conflicts that go through a fighters head.

Blood soaked the grass, there was a strong smell of iron in the air as the swordsmen kept fighting for their kingdom, with the hope that the other side will surrender and no more lives will be lost. I was one of the swordsmen who had to put up a front to get through it day by day. At the times where I didn't have to fight, I cried, I wanted nothing more than for this to end. I had thought multiple times of giving up, of letting the enemy just kill me off, to die a hero. That hadn't happened though, then my baby girl won't have a dad, and I didn't want that to happen either.

I missed my wife, I missed my daughter, I wanted to see them again. I loved them so much I would have done anything to keep them safe, that's why I kept fighting, that's why I didn't give up. I had to keep the kingdom safe for them.

It was time for me to go back out to the battlefield, where the stench of blood and the brain-piercing sounds of metal against metal rang high. I donned my heavy armour, took my sword, and went out to protect the kingdom for another day. 'Maybe today will be the end,’ I hoped, hoping does nothing though, acting does, and I will fight until this war is over, I don't want more people dying.

There was barely a patch of green grass anymore, it was all disgusting shades of red, a red I never wanted to see. However that red was what had to brandish my sword, and to hope for peace. I wanted to see that white flag raised in the air to signal that it was all over and that we were safe, nobody else needed to die.

As I sauntered on the battlefield filled with “courage” people from the opposite side tried to flee, they knew me, or more accurately, they knew my armour, they knew I was the most “ruthless” fighter on the battlefield. Obviously this was fake but my face was hidden through my helmet. Nobody can see my fear this way.

I slashed my way through enemies, splattering the grass with more red with each one, they were inferior, especially these lot, normally they would have put up more of a fight, looks like these ones didn't care whether they survived the day.

Finally I came across somebody more exciting, a general maybe? Either way he was manage to counter my slashes, the feeling in my muscles as our swords clashed was so familiar to me now. The pain of having to keep up with somebody faster than you, but of course, I won, I had to. No mercy for those who don't deserve it.

I could hear the cries of my comrades, I almost wanted to cry out back to them, but I knew I would get no reply, war is like that, you hear death on every corner and you only want it to stop, but you can't. You have to keep slashing through your victims before they slash through you. I just want to keep my little girl safe from harm.

Our line pushes forward, the enemy pushes harder. Before long we go from winning to sweating, the panic setting in further and further with each passing second and with each yell as a soldier bites the dust.

I don't even get to see the person running at me until their sword pried under the chestplate of my armour, my vision went blurry, I blinked a few times before I fell to the ground, it was the end for me.

---

Feel free to give advice/creative criticism. :)

Back