Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived The Icy Peaks

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Tiko and Quinn

It wasn't often that Loyahl's quarry ventured too near to civilization these days, and he frequently lost her trail as she seemingly vanished into the Icy Peaks without a sign or trace for weeks save for the occasional rumors. Most of them where just that though. Rumors fabricated up by the imagination of the men and women who made their home in this frozen wasteland.

It had been going on two months now without any promising leads.

The hour was late, and the sun wouldn't rise for several days yet when the storm had overtaken Loyahl. With temperatures plummeting rapidly, anyone caught out in the storm was courting disaster, and at sixty degrees below zero, it was't weather to be braved alone. A small prospecting camp a few miles back offered an element of shelter from the arctic temperatures, but the storm had come on quickly and overtaken him a good half-mile out.

By the time he had reached the encampment the wind and snow swept his tracks clear within moments of each step, and it was perhaps a mingling of his wits and luck both that saw him to the camp where crude buildings had been erected to protect against the wind. Snow was piling high against the central structure, and the prospecting equipment was all but invisible beneath the drifts of snow rapidly burying it.

"It was a monstrous devil of eight feet tall, with eyes that burned red with the embers of hell," a man's voice could be heard over the storm should Loyahl make his way towards the central building.

The building wasn't much, but it served to break the harsh winds, and the surrounding rocky formations further helped shelter the prospectors from the brunt of the storm. Inside was a hearth that had been dug into the ground where the men sat circling it for warmth and to trade stories while the storm raged outside.

Also filling the room where dozens of dogs that had been brought in out of the storm. Though the animals where well able to weather the elements outside, they had been brought in to add their own body heat to the building that housed those less adapted for such temperatures.

____

And, of course, the prospect of both fire and warmth were more than enough to draw Loyahl to the central building like, in a gesture of cosmic irony, a moth to a flame. Only he was no moth, instead he was a rather seasoned adventurer and hunter, though, apparently not seasoned enough to be able to catch up to whom he was tracking. When he started, he quickly became accustomed to losing the trail, but he was always able to pick up on something a day or two later, maybe even sooner if he was lucky.

After his talk with Rynhart back at the temple, however, something changed. Not only had he finally gotten some of the answers he was looking for, and now knew that the one he tracked was member of a race called the Ulfhednar, and according to Rynhart at the time, was supposedly the last of her kind. It stirred a lot of conflict inside of Loyahl, and he ended up leaving the temple to continue his search with an ultimatum jammed into the front of his mind.

Kill her and be done with it or find common ground to try to help peacefully rebuild her kind, in a way that was more than what just seemed like senseless attacks.

In the two months he searched with no lead, he had time to think about it, and he finally had come to a decision. This moment of clarity in his travels emblazoned a purpose deep within him, a purpose that went beyond what he had originally started this hunt for. Only now it wasn't a hunt, as he had absolutely zero intention of killing this female when and if he finally reached her. He just need a lead, something, anything first.

"It was a monstrous devil of eight feet tall, with eyes that burned red with the embers of hell."

It was if universe had synced with his thoughts at that moment and had decided to help him in the right direction. Maybe his purpose was even greater than he thought, and as this gift from the universe broke from his thoughts, he turned his eyes to focus on the man speaking. He neared the fire, having previously just been standing back further from it; he wasn't really fond of crowds, and the warmth was still suitable from the back of the room. Before the man could even continue his tale, Loyahl interjected, eyes fierce now.

"I'm going to need you to spare me the theatrics and tell me what exactly it is that you saw, when you saw it, and, most importantly, where you saw it."

His voice was stern, and he smirked only slightly after speaking despite himself, as the emotions that had begun to swell up inside him at this potential lead were too over-powering for him to even seem authoritative. Instead, it could be likened to a young man, or, perhaps, even a child extremely excited and curious about something just mentioned.

____

Silence is what Loyahl was met with. A lingering, silence as every set of eyes in the room turned to stare at him. Even the dogs raised their heads to get a look at him. Who was this man, covered in snow that had just barged into their camp in the middle of one of the worst storms to hit the Icy Peaks this winter?

No one spoke for many moments before one of the men around the hearth finally drew a pipe from his lips so that he could speak.

"Who the fuck are you?" he asked.

He was a grizzled looking man getting on in his years, and his skin was so weather worn as to appear almost leathery beneath his thick beard. Despite his words, he seemed more perplexed than aggressive though. No man in their right mind would be out alone in these mountains this time of year...

"And don't just stand there, close the door before you freeze us all to death."

____

"W-Who the fuck am I?"

Lohayl was frozen in his tracks for a moment, and if the man hadn't snapped him out of it with his last quip, he would have been literally frozen in his tracks. Broken from his momentary stupor, he acted fast to slam the door shut and once again approached the fire, and subsequently, the men around it. He turned his gaze to the grizzled looking man, focusing in and identifying him as the one who had questioned his identity.

He straightened his posture then, and cleared his throat almost nervously before speaking. He was quite embarrassed, actually, he hadn't realized how much of fever he was worked into and got ahead of himself. His arms went to fold behind him, and he gulped.

"First, I'd like to apologize for my actions just now, I was not really, ahem... myself. My name is Sentry, I'm with The Vanguard. I've been with them for around nineteen months now, total. In my entirety of time spent there, I've been tracking something," He began, leaving out some important details, but not enough to take away any truth from what he was telling them. "But lately the trail has gone cold, and I feared I may have lost it until I heard one among you describing something that very well may what I was chasing after. In my excitement of having a potential lead, I got a little worked up, so I beg a thousand pardons."

He passed his gaze over all of their faces before nodding firmly, as if to signify 'yes, this is all true'.

____

"You're in luck then, sir!" one of the younger men blurted out.

He looked to only be about nineteen or twenty, and was probably the youngest of the lot in the room. He had an excitable nature to him, and he took the interruption to his story in stride.

"I'm tellin' you. I saw it with my own eyes. It was standing over the carcass of a bear, and it done stared right through me like I wasn't even there. I thought I was a gonner, then it just turned and walked away," he said.

"I think you've been hitting more than the pipe," one of the other men teased.

Meanwhile, the older man didn't seem as sold on Loyahl's introduction.

"And you're out here tracking this monster of yours, alone in the winter?" the man asked between puffs of his pipe.

Only the desperate or the foolish faced the elements of this unforgiving land alone, and he remained skeptical of Loyahl's claim. It seemed far more likely to the grizzled old mountainman that this youth was looking to pull the wool over their eyes by playing off the story he had heard being told on his way in. Tossing around claims of an affiliation with the Elysian Vanguard was also a good way to garner the trust of more gullible individuals.

The only question was why. Was he simply an opportunist looking for shelter from the storm? Or would he rob them all while they slept and be gone before they woke.

For now he would withhold judgement he decided before gesturing towards the hearth with his pipe.

"You'll be soaked through if you stand around in those clothes much longer," he told Loyahl.

____

Loyahl kept his gaze on the older man as he nodded and moved closer to the fire, adjusting the clasp on his cloak and causing the furs that covered his shoulders to slacken slightly. Now that there was no icy wind, them being that close to his face wasn't necessary any longer.

"Yes, sir, alone. She's smart, and there being any more than me would alert her, I'm afraid. Not that it matters much, even on my own, she somehow knows when I'm close. And this is no monster, either. There are forces beyond my understanding at work here, I think."

He moved to place himself in between two men that had made room for him, and looked at the younger that had shared his story.

"And I don't discredit you, lad. If what you say is true, that she stood over the carcass of a not only an animal, but also left you alone, then it only confirms my suspicions. It didn't used to be bears, you know. Before it was people, just like any of you planted around this fire."

He paused a moment to make eye contact with all those that he could.

"I think she's alone, and I think she can be reasoned with. This started as a hunt, but no amount of gold could sway me from my purpose now. I will see if I can somehow parlay with her, at least come to a compromise."

____

Silence filled the room once again, and from the looks that where leveled upon Loyahl one would think he had just made a pariah of himself. No one seemed to have the words to even respond to his statements though.

It was a third gentleman who had as of yet remained silent that finally spoke.

"This beast of yours killed a dozen of our townspeople before a hunting party went out after it," he explained. "Twelve men tracked the beast, and only four of them returned."

"The Adamsen's boy was only a lad of six years," another man growled. "There's no truer monster than a beast who kills children."

"I'm telling you," the talkative youth from earlier spoke up. "It's a demon straight from hell, and if someone doesn't kill it there will be more kids to bury by spring. If you had seen its eyes you would know the truth of my words, Sir. It's evil."

"Since when does the Elysian Vanguard defend murderers and demons," the older man asked around his pipe.

His eyes were sharp and critical as they studied Loyahl intently.

____

Loyahl shook his head slowly. What they had said didn't surprise him, and he had seen worse from lesser in his travels.

"I never said I condoned her behavior. I said I believed that I could change it."

His eyes met the older man's and refused to waver from them, though his expression remained calm. He clasped his hands together in front of him and rest his arms on his legs and he leaned forward slightly towards both the fire and the man.

"It is incredibly likely that what you view as a beast is the only of its kind. Can you imagine what it'd be like to be truly alone in this world, I wonder. I picture it frightening. Do I disapprove of her methods of survival, as it were? Yes. Do I believe that she is a beast and inherently evil? I do not. What I think is that she's ultimately scared, and needs help. The Vanguard does not defend murderers and demons, but it does help those in need. But I'll denounce my involvement with the Vanguard permanently right this moment, if it pleases ye."

He unclasped his hands now to raise one and run it through his hair, dislodging any snow that had built up there and hadn't yet been shaken or otherwise melted off.

"I grieve for your townspeople, as I do for all the other victims. But I have been set on a nobler cause, and I just need to catch her so I'll know. If I am wrong in my assumptions, you can rest assured that I will kill her. It will pain me, being the cause of an extinction, but necessary cause takes necessary action. If you had perhaps gone wayward, would you not want at least a chance at salvation? Or would you prefer to be struck down immediately, as you ask to be done to this 'devil'?"

____

"And I suppose ye can bring the dead back to life too, eh?" another man bit out before spitting upon the ground.

Others seemed to share the man's sentiments as they shook their heads in disbelief. Loyahl's words were received about as well as if he had told a grieving family that a serial killer could be reformed and thus his crimes should be absolved or compromised upon.

It seemed likely he would get nowhere with swaying the mood of the men.

The grizzled man with a pipe spoke next, his voice rough and abrasive.

"It might be best if you set upon your way, as soon as the storm passes," he grunted.

He might have turned Loyahl out on the spot, if not for fact that no man however versed in the mountains could survive a storm such as the one that bore down upon them now. Not without shelter.

The man had offered Loyahl a bearing in his search though. There was only one town known to the region within walking distance of the prospector camp, and it was only about two days out. Whether he would find his quarry upon his arrival remained uncertain though. The storm had the potential to rage on for days yet.

____

Loyahl sighed and clasped his hands back together in front of him.

"I do wish I could make any of you understand, but perhaps that was a bit too much to expect, so I apologize if I have offended or upset any of you. You allowed me shelter and warmth, and still have yet to throw me back out in the cold, so I suppose that I should be grateful, if anything. I am, and I cry a thousand pardons."

He quieted after that, thinking it best to hold his tongue lest any of the men change their mind and decided to toss him back out into the storm after all. The storm lasted roughly another twenty hours, and Loyahl got little rest considering he was unsure of how much he trusted the men that shared the hearth with him. After it finally passed, he wasted no time and set out, mumbling his goodbye and thanks once more to the men that remained. He hadn't attempted to any more information on the supposed last seen location of the female he was tracking, but he knew of the village they spoke of, and that was his destination.

After about twelve hours of travel, he decided to find a secluded spot and actually get a decent amount of rest. After he woke up, he ventured back onto the path and kept moving. Later that afternoon, he wandered off the path a ways to find something to eat. A few hours and two dead rabbits later, he was fed enough to make the last leg of the journey and set out once more.

When the sun was just about to slip past the horizon, and the orange and red that bathed the sky was giving way to darkness, Loyahl came across a wooden sign hung from a horizontal post by two hooks. It read 'Grindavik', pointed to the right, and informed him that he had about 1 km to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Alara and Quinn

As Loyahl reached the outskirts of the small town, something would seem greatly amiss. Despite the hour of day, and the lingering sunlight still casting its glow across the landscape, there was no sign of life from the town.

No people moved through the streets and no lights lit up the windows of the buildings.

Dogs ran loose, shying away from Loyahl as he approached the town, and up ahead a small pack of them were fighting over something just out of sight in the snow. As one looked up its muzzle was stained red and it gave a low growl.

The animals nerves broke though and they scattered away from the stranger that drew nearer. What they left behind was the remains of a man who lay face-down in the snow. The animals had been eating at him for some time and it was impossible to determine a cause of death, but the more that Loyahl took in of the town, the more there was to strike him as wrong.

A nearby building stood open to the elements, its door hanging loose from one hinge as the wind gusted past and caused it to creak loudly.

____

As Loyahl drew his cloak tighter, to better warm him against the elements, the only thing that begin to chill him was the way that this town felt. Like a black and white photograph come to life, that feel of antiquity and emptiness. It gnawed at the back of his mind as he approached the nearby building with the loose hanging door.

The inside was dark, and the glare of the sunlight off the surrounding snow made it impossible for him to make out what was inside without entering the building and letting his eyes adjust back to the dark.

When they did, what he saw made him draw his bow.

Blood. Lots of blood. As if a large amount of people had been mercilessly slaughtered. But something was off. Very, very off, and it sent a ball of hot iron down into Loyahl's stomach and groin.

There were no bodies.

Cautiously moving forward now, an arrow loosely notched in the bow held out in front of him, Loyahl observed the patterns of the numerous blood stains cast on the walls and floor. It was splattered, in various arcs and patterns, and indicated that it was as if the victims were torn apart. But if this was the case, where were the bodies? Why did the gnawing at the back of his mind grow increasingly incessant the longer he stayed here?

All there was were more questions to be answered as he proceeded, sweeping the area for any threats as he did so.

____

Some bit of movement caught the corner of his eye, but when he turned there was nothing but the empty room and the still open front door to meet his gaze. The dim sunlight was the only light that penetrated the abandoned building, which added an element of shadow that was cast across the grizzly display.

Had this been the fate of the entire town? Did no one yet draw breath within?

Distantly the sound of dogs barking reached him. Some commotion outside.

____

Maria stood within the snowy streets of the town, her eyes a swirl of amber as she growled at the gathered dogs that had worked up the nerve to stand their ground to her approach. They snarled and barked, clearly agitated and reluctant to be run off, but a step towards them sent them scattering.

A splatter of blood had left a row of crimson speckles across her face, but the source of the blood did not appear to be from any injury she bore.

She crouched and ran her hand over the trampled snow before throwing her gaze around. Her focus was intense, and her expression unreadable.

____

The sudden sound of canine commotion outside spooked him, and Loyahl drew the bow tighter in front of him, his forefinger curling around the string above the arrow, while his ring and middle curled around the string below it. His wrist was kept straight, allowing for a more accurate shot if it was necessary.

His gaze, along with the path of the arrow, was pointed in the direction of the doorway he had entered the building through. The dim glare of the snow made it hard for him to make out anything in particular, as it had done while he was on the opposite end, and he slowly crept towards it.

When he neared, the bow would be aimed outside and to the right, as he rest his left shoulder against the door frame. The street outside was empty, sans his own footprints, and Loyahl cursed his lack of foresight as one of the dogs from earlier ran past and away from something.

Whatever it was would be able to find him, and so Loyahl backed away and retreated back inside.

Maybe he could use that to his advantage.

____

Maria looked up sharply and her feral eyes searched the surrounding buildings. Had she heard something? Perhaps just the dogs...

There was a tension in her though as she stood back up. It would be unwise to tarry...

Her footsteps carried her through the town, and past the building that Loyahl had taken cover in as she made to depart. She showed no sign of having detected his presence save for a momentary hesitation in her steps. She scented the air lightly as she let the wolf-mind roll through her to maintain her heightened senses.

She was beginning to suspect she wasn't alone, and the hair along her neck stood on end as the wolf within her growled. It wanted out. It wanted to feel the snow beneath its feet, and to make for more familiar territory. This place... this town... it left it exposed.

Part of her wanted to let it out, but she knew not when she might regain her mind should she do so. Especially this close to the full moon. She could feel the energy of it dancing across her skin... only a few days off.

____

The moment the figure passed in front of the door, it was a wonder Loyahl didn't just let loose his arrow then and there out of pure instinct alone. Needless to say, he was on edge, taking refuge in a blood splattered room while the person or thing potentially responsible for it stalked by outside? No thank you.

The hypothalamus in his brain triggered, and his adrenal glands began secreting that oh so precious flight-or-flight hormone into his body. His heart rate increased and could feel the dull aches and pains from his travels begin to fade away. He sat there for few moments more, left with a mixture of almost super-human alertness and a gnawing uncertainty of what, exactly, he should do.

Fortunately, the figure that passed seemed to not notice his presence, but Loyahl was no fool, and knew damn well that it had the capability of sensing him regardless. The question was, should he chance it? He had worked hard for this moment, and spouted a lot of what might have seemed like nonsense about his 'noble crusade'.

With a slow, deep intake of breath and his heart pounding a mile a minute, Loyahl forced himself to walk. The step over the threshold of the building and into the snow was the hardest step he ever had to take in his life so far. Arrow still notched, Loyahl turned his gaze down the street and focused it on the female figure. Still having a hard time believing the moment was real, he drew the arrow back and made it follow his gaze. With the distance between him and her, he figured he could get off at least three arrows, four if he spared accuracy.

He swallowed.

"Stop."

____

Maria froze as she heard the crunch of snow at her back, and that single word that had been uttered forth from Loyahl's lips.

She turned her gaze over her shoulder just enough to catch a glimpse of him out of the corner of her eye, but she didn't yet turn to face him outright.

"Vitleysingr veidhimadhur," she growled lowly.

The words were harsh and biting, and of a language unknown to Loyahl.

____

Shit.

Loyahl hadn't even considered the possibility that he may not be able to communicate with this creature, so as she spit out what Loyahl could only assume was some sort of verbal venom, he did nothing but tense up.

"Look, I don't know if you understand me, but I don't want to hurt you."

He wasn't sure how he was going to convey that notion if she didn't understand him, and he was too on guard in case she tried something to even think of lowering his bow. If she decided to run, he would let her go, but he had tracked her before and he would track her again.

____

Maria let out a snort at Loyahl's words. A suggestion perhaps that she had understood him? It was difficult to say as she turned to face him. It was the first time he had come to be so close to his quarry, and there was no mistaking her G'ael origins.

She was an imposing and dominating figure with thick red locks of hair, and she stood just shy of six foot in height. There was something feral that was reflected in her eyes though, and their amber hue was reminiscent to that of a wolf's.

Though taller in stature than was typically deemed attractive in a woman, her striking features could once have been deemed alluring; however, her looks had grown marred by the feral state that gripped her, and the ragged scar that ran down the length of her neck from ear to sternum.

Both hair and clothing were wild and unkempt and she appeared clad in nothing more than the furs of wild animals.

The splatter of blood across her face was still evident, and she had made no move to wash it from her skin.

"Loose your arrow, veidhimadhur," she growled. "I am of the Ulfhedhnar. An ulfhedhinn knows no fear of dadhr. We are ottalauss. Without fear." She paused as she stared him dead in the eye. "Are you?"

Her words were so thickly accented as to be nearly indiscernible as she spoke, and the challenge and aggression in her eyes was unmistakable. Her question was largely rhetoric though, for she could smell his fear on him and see it in the tension within his arm.

It would seem the woman was through with running.

____

Was he without fear?

No.

Right now, being posed such a question by the beast he had spent so much time hunting, blood spilt across her face more than likely of the same origin as the blood back in the building, he was scared. He was struck by a cold chill and left feeling empty, while his head was filled with flashing red lights and siren songs. But he couldn't let it consume him, and with an amazing display of force of will, he pushed it all to the back of his mind. While the flashing lights and sirens remained, they were at the back, and at the forefront was conscious thought.

What could he do in this situation? How could he keep his life and reason with the beast?

He did not know. He had to somehow show her that he meant no true harm, but simultaneously keep his guard up. But how? For now, he took a couple of small steps backward, putting more distance between them. With a small moment of hesitation, where he had to swallow air and take a couple of seconds to gather his thoughts, he spoke.

"I know what you are. That you're just surviving out here. And that you're alone."

He spoke with confidence, he spoke like he firmly believed in what he said. And he did. The bow, through all of this, did not waver and the arrow never left its mark.

____

Twang

The sound of a bowstrang pierced the air as Maria moved and the arrow was loosed from Loyahl's bow. It flew true, burying itself deep into her chest and drawing a grunt from her lips, but it failed to slow her.

As his hand reached for a second arrow, she had already closed the distance between them with impressive speed. Her right hand closed around the shaft of the arrow and she snapped it near the base with a snarl before swinging the arm out to knock his bow out of her way. Her left hand shot forward, closing around a fistfull of his clothes before hoisting him high into the air and bringing him down on his back in the snow.

The swirl of amber in her eyes seemed almost to have a life of its own as she knelt over him.

"You know nothing," she growled thickly.

Her lips were tinged red with blood, and her words wet with fluid that drew a rattling cough from her that left spatters of crimson across Loyahl's face.

____

The only reaction Loyahl had time for was the single, resounding thought of oh shit while he was lifted off the ground and then slammed into the snow, back first. All the air was knocked out of him, and he did his best to refill his burning lungs as the woman coughed her blood into his face.

He hadn't intended on firing any arrows during this encounter, but he felt his life had been threatened, so he did not hesitate with the draw. Her speed was extraordinary, however, and Loyahl was having an easy time believing that the speed was related to whatever made her function normally with an arrow sticking out of her chest.

His eyes stared defiantly back into hers as he rationed his breaths and considered his situation. He wasn't dead, yet, which had to mean something, didn't it?

"You're wrong. I know that you are called Maria, and as you said earlier, that you're Ulfhednar. East of here, over the mountains, there's a land called G'ael. Your kind used to protect it, right? When there were more of you?"

All things Rynhart had told him one of the last times they spoke. Loyahl trusted him, but now, with his life seemingly on the line, he hoped that he had not been misinformed.

____

"Who set you on my trail," Maria growled.

As she held him there, her eyes searched his own, and she saw the flicker of defiance that filled them. The whelp had balls after all.

She snorted her amusement.

____

"With all due respect, you set me on your own damn trail. You're not entirely subtle, you know?"

His mind temporarily wandered to the dagger he still had strapped to his side, but he dared not use it. The speed of which she had closed the gap between them proved that she was more than capable of doing something if he tried to pull another weapon.

"I help people. It's my job. When I first started tracking you, I thought you were an animal. Something feral. Thanks to a friend, I know different now. Now I want to help you."

____

Maria's eyes were calculated beneath that feral gleam, and she suspected there was more to his words than he was saying.

"You are a fool," she growled.

She released him and stood up.

"This place. If you stay, you will die," she warned him before nodding to the horizon where the afternoon sun would soon dip below the horizon once more.

Without another word, she turned and began to walk away but she paused after several paces to glance back expectantly.

____

Relief was the first thing he experienced when she released him, the second was an infantile feeling of anger.

He stood up after her, brushing the snow off of his behind as she began to walk away. He looked after her as she did so, and when she paused to glance back at him, he retrieved his bow and followed after her in stride.

"A fool I have been called many times, but personally, I don't think my judgement has failed me yet. 'Course, that's something a fool would say, so I won't argue it."

He looped his head and left arm through the space between the bowstring and bow itself as he talked, causing it to rest against his back and shoulder. Any arrows fallen from his quiver during the little scuffle would remain where they were; He could always make more arrows.

"I'm coming with you, then."

He said, matter-of-factly.

____

Maria said nothing more to him as she set on her way with him trailing after her. One hand gripped the broken shaft of the arrow that she had snapped off and her knuckles turned white from her iron grip as she steeled herself for what she was about to do.

The arrow had missed her heart by a hairbreadth, but the coppery taste of blood in her mouth and the crushing tightness in her chest spoke of where the arrow had struck. Worse yet, the wound was already trying to reknit closed, and there was only one way it was going to come out...

The growl that came from her lips as she tore it free from the half-healed flesh was more animal than human, and a moment later she discarded the bloody arrowhead in the snow without breaking stride.

____

Maria set a hard pace, and one of which made little question as to her capabilities at dodging him in the months past. She offered no words, nor conversation, and any attempts at such would be met with nothing more than the crunch of snow beneath her feet.

It wasn't until the last of the light began to fade from the sky that she eased her pace - lest Loyahl break his neck traversing the icy landscape in darkness.

They continued on a good half-hour past dusk before she located a small stand of spruce trees. Rather than take shelter from the wind beneath their boughs though she began to pull dead branches and bits of dormant shrubbery free to deposit out in the open, well clear of the trees.

It was with practiced hands that the campfire was erected, and oddly human how she went about lighting the kindling and blowing on the small embers until the branches caught flame.

"Speak," she finally instructed.

It was the first word she had uttered since earlier and she didn't so much as throw him a glance as she spoke it. Nursing the fire held her attention for the time being.

____

Loyahl held his own as he followed Maria, and after his first few quips were met with silence, he took the hint gladly and kept quiet himself. He was just getting wary about continuing for the night when she stopped and began constructing a campfire.

He did nothing to help her, in fact, he thought his attempt to help might even offend her in some way, so he watched with a bitter amusement as she went through the tasks of gathering, building, and kindling life into a flame. When it had caught, she spoke to him, and he mused silently for a few moments afterwards.

Speaking speaking himself, he reached beneath his cloak to access two leather draw-string bags, one contained strips of dehydrated meat, tough to chew and seasoned with nothing much more than salt, but it was still something. The second contained a mess of cured leaves from a plant similar to tobacco, as well as rolling papers. It was aromatic, dry, and it burned at a leisurely pace.

He bit down into one of the strips of meat, holding it in his mouth as he held out the bag to Maria, offering her some if she would take it. His right, free hand went through the process of using thumb and forefinger to pinch then sprinkle leaves onto paper, and soon moved on to using them to 'roll' the leaves within the paper, and begin to form a tube. It may have been too windy yet to light it, and so the finished product was held in his hand for the moment.

In reality, this process took perhaps one or even two minutes at most, and when he had finished he spoke up, words a bit muffled by the dry meat in his mouth.

"What is it you wish me to say?"

____

"Where did you hear of the Ulfhednar. That word is not your word," she stated simply.

She paused briefly, gathering her thoughts and words. She had an easier time with the local tongue when she wasn't otherwise riled up, but some words were yet lost on her."

"Someone spoke words with you. Who."

The fire was burning well now, and she was making a point to continue adding fuel to the flames, far more than was necessary. It was oddly reminiscent of Rynhart tending the fire outside the temple, the first night Loyahl had spent there.

____

Amused by the similarities between the two, Loyahl answered.

"His name is Rynhart. A friend. Gave me a place to go back to. A home, I suppose. After all this."

He first gestured from himself to Maria, then spun his hand in a circle to gesture at everything surrounding them. He wondered if she knew the name, however, and studied her face against the flame carefully for any hint of recognition.

____

Maria snorted at Rynhart's name.

"I thought as much," she said gruffly. "Set you on me did he? You really are a fool. Just another pawn among pawns."

____

Loyahl scowled.

"I already told you that I was set upon you before meeting Rynhart. He just supplied me with information, and even that took a while to get."

Put Rynhart had had an influence on Loyahl's intentions, hadn't he? He had transformed the hunt into a quest. Guided Loyahl to some purpose. Was it all intentional? Was he really some pawn? He shook his head and thus, the thoughts away.

"Where exactly are we going, anyway? Where are you leading me? Or is this some play, am I playing the role of sheep, and you the wolf in sheep's clothing?"

He grinned at the irony of it.

____

"That way," Maria said with a nod of her head towards the surrounding darkness. "Another town. Three days. There you will witness the true nature of the Ulfhednar."

There was something chilling in her words, and her eyes, as she looked back to him.

"And then you will leave. My path is not your path, and I will not be turned from it. Not by Rynhart. Not by Taima. Not by Lobos himself. I will not be a play thing to their..." she struggled a moment as the word she wanted was lost to her in the local tongue. She finally settled on a similar enough word to get her meaning across - albeit less potently. "Their plots."

A soft growl had edged into her words before she lay herself down with her back to the fire, and to Loyahl.

"Do not let the fire burn down," she instructed before closing her eyes.

____

Loyahl took another bite of the salted meat and chew it bitterly as Maria spoke, his eyes following her as she moved. He absorbed her words, his gaze steely, but offered no rebuttal or challenge. It seemed she did not want to be made a puppet. Loyahl felt the same for a moment, but then mused that perhaps he already was one.

He picked up a spare stick from the nearby reservoir pile she had made and used it to poke at the orange embers beneath the flames, kicking off little sparks and emitting the noise of crackles as if they were heating small kernels of corn. He drew a breath with intent to speak, but instead sat there with his mouth hung slightly open before ultimately deciding against it and letting it out.

He had no idea if she had actually began to sleep, but he showed no interest in making sure and remained there, lost in his thoughts. When the right amount of time had passed, Loyahl began to feel sleep slithering forward from the back of his mind. He wondered if Maria intended to have him keep the fire up all night. As he leaned forward to throw on more kindling, internally trying to prepare for tomorrow's journey if he were to get no sleep, and what she had said came back to his mind. Her path is not her path.

For some reason he doubted that.

as written by Tiko

Maria's sleep was a restless one and though four hours passed quietly, Maria dozed only briefly during that period. As she did, she found herself dreaming of her homeland again, of a land far from from this place and across the Icy Peaks.

As she roused she did not move save to open her eyes and briefly note that all was as it had been before she had dozed off. Assessing that all was well she closed her eyes once more, but this time she did not sleep.

With dreams of G'ael, dreams of her years in Caldonia and dreams of events yet to come, it would seem her dreams were pulling her in all different directions these days. Fortunately most of them were nothing more than fabrications of her subconscious mind that were easily brushed off upon wakening, but the one from the night prior was different. That one hung with her.

In the dream she had been making her way through the frozen pinewood forests of the Northlands, though it had been a younger iteration of herself. She had been clad in leathers fit for the road and a life of a mercenary, both of which served as a recollection from a time long past. She had been tracking something but it was with her human senses that she had pursued her quarry and her mind had felt clearer and sharper with youth.

When Taima had approached from the trees Maria had recognized her keenly; it had been nearly four centuries since she had last lay eyes upon the draconian, but there was strength to the warrior that had not waned with the years.

Maria stood from where she had knelt to examine the tracks in the snow and brushed the snow from her hands.

'I heard you died,' Maria remarked as she watched Taima with narrowed eyes.

'And they say you lost your mind,' Taima replied.

Maria grunted. 'I think I got the better deal.'

Taima might have smiled had such an expression been possible with her draconic visage. 'We shall see,' she replied. 'Your spirit remains strong. You have bore your affliction for longer than most.'

Maria snorted. 'I suppose that's your doing. Set Rynhart on me did you?' she asked.

Taima chuckled lightly. 'It is not my place to dictate the actions of mortals. That part of my life ended with my death.'

Maria frowned and looked to the tracks her quarry had left. 'The trail will grow cold if I delay,' she told Taima.

Taima shook her head. 'You are on the wrong trail, Maria,' she answered. 'But that is not why we are here.'

'Of course not,' Maria grunted. 'People don't show back up after a few centuries unless they want something. Drak sang that tune too.'

Taima offered no response and instead gestured behind Maria towards a small town, nestled within the snowy foothills of the Icy Peaks. Maria looked to it only briefly but when she turned back Taima was gone.

With a frown upon her lips she had approached the town with wary footsteps. The stench of the place reeked of death she noted with distaste. A building stood open to the elements and snow was beginning to pile inside from the wind as she approached it carefully...

She had made it only as far as the entrance before she had awoken. She might have passed it off as a dream, but why dream of Taima now after all these years. It was for perhaps that reason she had made her way to the town, to verify the nature of the dream. What she had found...

When sleep failed to come to her this night, she finally spoke a simple word to Loyahl.

"Sleep."

as written by Quinn

Loyahl nodded confirmation and lay himself down in a similar fashion as she had four hours prior, his back to the fire. He was grateful that she had commanded him to do so when she had, as the influence of sleep had blanketed every recess of his mind, making him the kind of tired that disallowed him from even wondering if he could trust her with his back to her. No, he was asleep long before that thought could have even been conjured.

In another place and time, when he was younger yet and still resided in his homeland, Loyahl was instead known as Sentry, a terse little rogue wanted for the evasion of apprehension by the law, as well as several counts of thievery, burglary, and adultery. His primary targets were the wealthy and noblemen, and he considered himself a champion of the common people, often distributing the wealth he stole.

Those were childish illusions of grandeur, however, and in reality he was considered a public menace by most social classes, including the poor. He disrupted the peace, and his acts of 'heroism' were not even necessary, as the commonwealth people got along and co-existed rather fine with the rich. It wasn't until his then fiance at the time discovered this little alter-ego of his that the illusion was shattered, and he renounced the moniker of Sentry.

And now, as he slept somewhat blissfully by the fire he had kept up throughout the night, he dreamt and was reminded of how far off course he had once allowed himself to go. He stood trial to his own subconscious then, and the jury comprised of his past mistakes declared him guilty. His sentence? Consciousness.

When he awoke, at first he did not move or speak, he just stared ahead of him, his head still swimming in the static brought on by sleep. When he had finally vacated it from his head, he sat up and looked around, searching for Maria.

"I assume this is where you tell me that it's time to keep moving."

He said, eyes landing on... nothing. She wasn't there.

He had just spoken to himself.

With an exasperated sigh, he pushed himself onto his feet and began to gather his things. Had she left him as he slept? The thought of it angered him, but also reddened his cheeks, leaving a warmth there that only a certain type of embarrassment could bring.

as written by Tiko

All that remained of the fire was a few red embers that suggested perhaps she had been gone some time now. The only footsteps evident appeared to be leading back the way they had come, but as Loyahl gathered up the last of his things and set out, he made it scarcely more than a few paces before Maria's distant voice called out sharply from a large rocky outcropping at his back.

"Vitleysingr."

The words held a biting growl to them as she turned away and vanished from view once more, seemingly expecting him to just catch up on his own time.

Truthfully she had entertained the thought of simply abandoning him to the night, but if months in these Icy Peaks hadn't shaken him from her trail then she wagered it would take more than splitting while he slept to be rid of him.

Still, if she kept a hard enough pace he would be hard pressed to close the distance enough to irritate her with misguided attempts at conversation for the day.

For Desta, Kinra, and Rayne, the journey from Aelora was an arduous but not unfamiliar one. They were native to a land where journeys were measured in weeks, months, and even years. The weeks to reach Nasazura's Rest were not out of line with their perception of the world, though perhaps a bit colder than they were accustomed to. Amarathia winters were nothing like the winters of the Northlands of Terra. Fortunately the season was just shifting into early spring, and the worst of the winter months were behind them. It would be weeks yet before the bone-chilling cold abated to something more bearable, but no winter snowstorms hindered their travel.

For Syvil in particular this was no doubt a blessing, as icy mountain hiking was a matter not well suited for a centaur. She seemed to know all the safest paths and routes though, often taking them along winding and seemingly non-intuitive pathways in the rocky faces that often obstructed their path. It would seem the woman was well familiar with the landscape.

The matter most unusual to the Aeloran travelers was perhaps simply the length of days. No such polar region existed within the realm of Aelora, and the though the days were beginning to lengthen they were still limited to only about nine hours of daylight in which travel was relatively safe. Accounting for rest periods and meals, it left progress slowed. Unfortunately the use of more efficient mystical means of travel had been prohibited within the Order due to the growing planar instabilities that swept the region.

---​

The sun was just beginning to set once more, much to Syvil's displeasure. She had hoped to make the temple before nightfall, and spare them one last night of enduring the bitter cold of the mountains. Unfortunately a snowed in pass had left them backtracking nearly half a days travel. The temple was still another half a dayy away, and pressing on through the night would be foolish.

"We should reach Nasazura's Rest around midday tomorrow," she explained to the others.

No doubt they were equally as displeased with having to make camp in such a desolate place once more, but it was unavoidable she knew.

---​

Elie's own journey up the mountain had proven far more arduous than that of the Aelorans. Unlike them, he had no guide to navigate the passes and it had often taken him days to gain the same ground that Syvil and the others had effectively traversed in only hours. They might well have overtaken him and continued on unaware of one another's presence if not for the setting of the sun that had left them stopping for the night.

Instead he had been faced with another seemingly impenetrable route that had forced him back down the latest rocky incline in search of a safer route around, and he was set to cross paths with Syvil and the others.

He would hear them before he saw them. Their distance voices up ahead were muted by the snow and rocks, but they were voices all the same. Of that he was certain.

Kinra gave a disappointed huff, from his position floating several feet off of the ground. For the sylvae boy, the trip up the mountain would have been a more simple matter if alone; flight rendered dangerous terrain far less so, after all. But with no desire to abandon his companions, nor indeed a reliable method of finding his destination once he took to the air, he had matched their slower travel pace without complaint. His heavy cloak hung down around him like a blanket, worn over thick furs that warded off the worst of the arctic cold, and Calongáel drifted at his side in spear form.

Drifting down to come to rest atop the snow and barely sinking more than a few inches into it, Kinra rubbed at his arms and shivered. "Have you ever considered that your choice of location may have adversely affected recruitment?" he inquired, grinning playfully.

Elie was not looking so good. The thaw had not taken away the snow and more importantly it had not made his attempts at foraging for food any better. His once muscular frame had changed to little more than bone. His cheeks sunken and covered with an unruly beard. The highwaymen a few weeks back had taken even his boots. So he had to rely on his magic to keep his feet from going black with the cold. Soon in his climb, he had to work the second bit of blood magic. This one was to fortify his body, as to no die from exposure. As his tattered robe had little to no protection from the icy winds. The strain of working two spells was taxing as he could not let them slip even when he took his rest. As a result, he had fallen into the trances to replace sleep. He soon found that as time went on it took little of his active focus to keep the spells going.
Elie's clothing was stained and looked like he had rolled a begger. The sound of a voice made Elie take a pause in his descent. Moving a little closer Elie raised his voice ready to bolt if this was trouble. "Spare some food for a fellow traveler. Who has fallen on some hard times?" Elie leaned on his staff the wind kicking out his robe of rags. The sun silhouetting his form to those below.

“…midday tomorrow.”

Rayn, tried and weary, slowly stopped his march into the snowy roads. His eye set past everyone and to the horizon. The sky showed little of the sun, meaning darkness would fall fairly soon. The journey had been harsh for this simple human man; he wasn’t used to these long excursions into frozen lands. He was no stranger to elongated trips; he ran from authorities for longer than most would consider… Yet these times were unforgiving.

A soft sigh left his lips as he sat himself down into the thick snow, considering what one more night in this cold meant. Certainly, it would be unpleasant and Rayn would not doubt be in a sour mood…Though, he seemed comfortable, to a degree, about it. He would never argue the journey was too long or that it wasn’t worth it. Instead, he would just take it as it is and wait for the next day to come. Annoyance, however, had risen at the sight of the boy just floating around. Surely, someone of high spirits as him would come lighten the mood... Yet only came to worsen that of the human man.

The boy commented on something, and by the sound of it, it may have been seen as funny. Rayn would have none of it.

“A contract or a task will be taken by anyone willing to gain something out of it.” The man sounded serious too, not taking kindly to ‘funny’ things right now. It didn’t help the fact that his outfit wasn’t something he was delighted about; the leathers and light clothing of before were kept in his pack, in exchanged for heavy, bulky coats and furs. His swords were even wrapped and kept attached to pack on his back, leaving but his daggers to his belt.

To add to this, a stranger’s voice sounded, a plea for aid which had Rayn scramble to his feet, hands already reaching for a hilt. The man who spoke appeared to be in a rough spot, but Rayn cared little for other lives right now. Their own was what was important right now… He would only wait to see what the others think.

Climbing the mountain had not been the same dredge for her as it had been for Rayn. Though she was merely human herself, the woman lived for such journeys and was equipped for it. As the climate cooled her thin dress grew into a blouse and breeches. As it cooled further it became a furry white coat. The capabilities of the enchanted cloth suited the woman's lifestyle perfectly. A born nomad wouldn't die a nomad. She was hardly phased by Syvil's news.

"I suspect some of the lumps beneath the snow might not be rocks," teased Desta, staring at Kinra and Syvil from the corner of her eye. "Be careful, Rayn! You'll join them!"

Her hearty laughter echoed through the mountains, but as soon as it ended she heard the call of the stranger. She twisted swiftly to face the man in rags before them, assuming stance before she even realized it. Her eyes narrowed at the stranger.

"Can the fellow traveler identify himself?" asked the dark-skinned woman.

Elie looked around to see if there was any more of them. Elie took a moment before speaking. Elie was his birth name that his tribe had given him. Sansa his surname was given to him while he was a free man serving with The Red Hand mercenary company. Finally, he settled pronouncing himself "Names Elie former Shaman of the Ice Cat tribe. " Elie said walking down the rest of the slope. His rag robe flapping in the wind. "I can aid you on the rest of your journey if you wish. I have some experience climbing mountains. " Elie said in a desperate tone of voice. He planted his staff in the ground and willed a small fire to hover over the tip of the staff.
Though as he did this his vision went hazy and he began to feel like he was spinning. 'oh Damn' where Elie's last thoughts as his body finally gave up the ghost and he collapsed.

as written by Tiko and Script

An arrow was drawn into her free hand as she threw her gaze around their immediate surroundings. Lots of rocky crevices and boulders offered countless hiding spots in the event of a trap.

"Kinra, check the surrounding area," she said.

It was a moment of internal conflict for the woman as she had to decide between going to the stranger's aid, or ensuring the safety of those in her company.

"On it!" Kinra answered, the flash of concern upon his face for the fallen man swiftly replaced by a focused mask. The sylvae boy darted upwards, gaining height in order to have a vantage point on any hidden ambushers.

Though he cast a searching, wary gaze across the path and the surrounding mountainside, there was nothing out of place. After a few long moments he descended once more. "Nothing visible," he reported. "Neither mortal foes nor out of place shadows."

Only with Kinra's call did Syvil act on her impulse to aid the man.

"Desta, check it out. I'll cover you," she spoke up.

Such precautions were a necessary evil, but the state of things when she had departed the temple left her leaving no room to chance. Her bow was at ready.

"Rayne, get started on the fire," she said. "It will be required in short order."

The approached of the ragged man had Rayn draw forth one of his daggers, ready for any hostile action that would be partaken. Little trust went to a stranger who lived in these conditions, alone, with nothing to keep him warm. Human looking, for the most part, and certainly had to be cold. Others seemed to also be of the same state of mind, cautious around the new arrival… which Rayn could respect. Finally, some seriousness.

Orders were sent around, and the boy did his sorcery to go around the area. Desta was asked to check out the man, and Rayn? To start the fire. Good; if he was sent to the stranger, the dagger would have slipped behind his neck, ending the suffering.

Without responding to Syvil, Rayn quickly put the dagger back and slipped off the extra equipment off his back, searching for some flint and steel and whatever flammable material they had to start the fire. He’d start by finding a solid area devoid of too much snow, digging if he had to.

“If you want to make it simple, a blade through the upper part of the back of his neck will end his life without pain or misery.” He said rather straightforwardly, suggesting to end the man’s life right now.

Elie was warm looking around he realized he was in his mental landscape. An old hut so alike the one he had spent much of his time in as a child learning the ways of magic. The furnishings were all simple looking to have been made with little skill and what was around. On a stool next to the bed was a man.

The man was like no one Elie had ever met he was tall and thin. His features so fine that the could have been described as feminine. Long hair that fell straight down to the small of his back, It was so black it was almost blue. The only thing that kept Elie from thinking that this man was a man. Was few days stubble on his face. That was currently turned away to the door. Turning back to Elie had his first glimpse of the man's eyes. They were red as fresh blood. With two points of onix. Elie was terrified he had seen those eyes on himself. On that night, Elie fought back the visions of fire and burning huts to look at the man.
Then the Demon spoke his voice deep and rich. As genteel as a nobleman and as seductive as a courtesan of an age. He spoke, " By the Hell's boy what have you gotten yourself into." The Demon looked at Elie with a quirked malicious smile. Like he was enjoying the hardships Elie was in. "They are talking about killing you. Better do something quick. Or they will free me on the land."

Elie sat up on the bed running his hands through his hair. "You have no power over me here, This is my mind." Elie looked at the Demon. His eye's cold that was something Elie had learned through his teacher. Dark things and light things had a code of conduct. The demon could tempt him even trick him. But he could not make Elie choose things that were not his idea.

The Demon's Smile grew larger showing slightly pointed teeth and waved a hand showing Elie what was happening around him. A man was digging in a pack saying "Make it simple, a blade through the upper part of the back of his neck will end his life without pain. "

Then they were back in the hut. Sitting at a table. Two steaming cups of tea on it like they were two friends catching up. And in the exact middle of the table was a black egg the size of two men's fists put togeather. To call it black was and understatement. Looking at the egg no The Seed as Elie realized what it was. It was the absence of hope, Life, It was the darkness of both the body mind and soul. But in that darkness, Elie could feel the power. The Demon continued "You are all but spent. You have wasted away to almost nothing. You can't get back to your feet even with your willpower or magic. You're a lamb and they are going to slaughter you." The demon could tell his words were having an effect on and he smiled wolfishly. "Pick me up, use me. What am I but a sword ?" The Demon asked.

Elie was transfixed by The Seed the power that was there. Now that he knew more about his magic he could make a change. He could spearhead and be a defender of the light. All he had to do was pick up The Seed. Elie could tell that it would be that easy. Just take the Seed in his hand and he could fight like twenty men. Run for days without sleep. He could ignore the elements. That was when it happened Elie could see that power. He also had seen what it did the last time he had embraced it. The murder of his people he could still see their faces. Elie shook his head softly at first. Then harder as he saw what else came with picking up that evil thing. Madness the power to shape the world as he deemed fit. As an old wizard had once told Elie. 'we who play with the powers of gods. Have to be careful with are power. For absolute power corrupts absolutely. And once you step on that boat there is no coming back young man. Sure the first time you might really need that power to do something. But you will use that dark force more and more. Just to feel your power.'

Elie spoke loudly and clearly "No. Now begone and leave me to my fate. You will get your pay one way or another." Elie got up and made his way out of the room.

As he did he heard The Demon say " Well I am here if ever you need my power. I can wait." The demon tapped his lips as if he just remembered something " Oh and i gave the people that found you a little surprise. Have fun boy"

In The Real World

Elie's lips moved softly at first with no sound. Then slowly increased tell he was speaking under his breath. It was a hellish language. Not a summoning nor anything particularly magical or even having meaning. The Demon was using Elie's unconscious body like a puppet. In a limited manner he was able. The Hellish litany continued growing to a conversational tone. And as it did Elie's breath would smell of hell fire. And his mouth began to glow from the inside.
Elie's eyes snapped open wide and unseeing. As his body twiched again slightly growing more and more visable. Tell his arms and legs where thrashing. And still the litany continued growing softer now in time with the frailing of his limbs. The red light that had glowed from Elie's mouth also growing dim than going dark. As Elie quit speaking his eye's closed again he apeared to be at rest.

"Understood," said Desta, no hesitation in her movements. She knelt down next to the unconscious man, motioning to check for a pulse and a breath. She could make out light breathing, but scarcely anything more. "Still alive. And we'll keep him that way if we are able," Desta snapped to Rayne.

It was then that the young man began to convulse and flail. The warrior woman stood back, watching with her sword in hand. The lights that spilled from his mouth set her on edge. Perhaps Rayne was right...

Once the convulsions came to rest, Desta approached him warily. "I don't suspect that's something either of you have experienced?" she asked the group.

Syvil threw Rayn a reproachful look, somewhat apalled at the man's suggestion.

"There are those beyond our aid," Syvil spoke sharply. "But we do not kill those in need, nor pass judgment regarding whome we deem worthy of our aid. There are those who would have deemed you and I unworthy of such things. That is something you would do well to remember as you climb these peaks to tread within the halls of the Elysian Vanguard."

To Desta Syvil nodded.

"Go on and bring him down, but be careful. Whatever ails the man, we are not equipped to uncover its nature," she noted.

She pursed her lips as she gazed up the mountainside. It would take them hours yet to reach the temple, and pressing on through the dark was not a viable option. Kinra could easily make it in an hour or less, but traveling alone through these mountains was foolhardy for even the grandmasters of their order. Still, the sun had yet to sink fully beneath the horizon. The more time she spent deliberating, the more sunlight he would lose.

"Kinra, I would ask of you to press on ahead," she finally decided. "Have them send aid back from the temple. We cannot travel with him in such a condition, nor can we simply abandon him here to the elements. We will remain vigil until you return."

Kinra too had fixed Rayn with a glare upon his suggestion to end the man's life. He kept comment to himself, however, when Desta and Syvil spoke their pieces before him. This man clearly had much to learn of the ways of the Light. "The light, the chanting and the convulsions suggest perhaps a possession, or a magical madness," Kinra answered Desta. "But in either case, it doesn't seem to have a total hold on him."

At Syvil's request, the boy turned to her, nodding his head. "I shall be as swift as an arrow, and twice as nimble!" he called, and with a slightly overblown salute, he spun around and shot off in the direction of the temple.

No one took his advice kindly. This, of course, was not a surprise. Though, the words of the Void creature held their weight. In a reality, he would have expected to be left for dead if he asked for help. How could eh blame them for doing so? He was a criminal; a heartless man who took lives for coin and shelter, who killed both good and evil. He expects to be treated like this, so returning such actions is only natural.

Rayn was about to return to his task of starting the fire, gathering his material… when he heard the tone of the unconscious man. It was so familiar, even in its incoherence. He dropped whatever he was holding to look towards the man who had fallen. The light was kept hidden by the angle of his sight, but the tones were unmistakable. Worse yet, he shook violently, like torture in silence. Everyone was seeing this…

…And the first thing done was to send the KID to the temple ALONE on the mountain. Then, ordered the man to be brought closer. Rayn regarded their ‘leader’ with absolutely disgust and shock.

“So we have a potential Supermundanae Possessionem here and you send one of our own to potentially get help, reducing our numbers and making us wait for a POSSIBLE return? Worse, you want to help a man, alone in this god forsaken frozen land, who came out of nowhere, alive in RAGS of all things?” He wasn’t even joking in the slightest.

“Are you used to sending people to their deaths? Is that why you got no volonteers.” Harsh words for sure.

"Be safe, Kinra!" Desta called after the Grandmaster. This did not delay her aid of the man before them. Even though his outburst had surprised him, she took the man in her arms and wrapped his garment more tightly around him. Heaving him over her shoulder, she descended the slope carefully, bringing the man with her without a tremendous amount of strain. "Rayn!" she roared at the mercenary as she stormed toward him and the centaur. "You have followed us here without truly understanding the purpose of the Vanguard!"

Laying Elie down, Desta slid her coat from her shoulders and laid it on top of the poor, frozen man. While she tended to him, she lectured Rayn with the ferocity of a lioness. "You must understand your position. At this point, it does not matter if you are a good man or not. Let us make it evidently clear that you are in a frozen wasteland with strangers who accepted you without question. Grandmaster Sivil is not a fool." Her head lifted, glaring daggers at the mercenary as she spoke, "I am disappointed in you, Rayne. Start the fire if that's all you're good for."

"While your words of defense are appreciated, they are not necessary," Syvil interjected. "Some are not born with trust and compassion within their hearts. Some must learn them," she explained with a pointed look at Rayne.

"In time, perhaps you will learn these things," Syvil added. "I do not harbor ill thoughts towards you for your ignorance of the situation, but you would do well to watch and learn before speaking your mind on things you yet know little of. In time, perhaps you will come to see and feel as we do. Perhaps not. All you need to know for now is that Kinra is well capable of reaching the temple before the sun sets, and he will return with assistance. He has been holding back for our sake I must say."

She couldn't help but wonder over the nature of this individual who had placed himself within their midst, but perhaps there was more to him than the eye saw. It was not for her to judge his worth at this time. She would discuss the matter with the others upon her return, but for now the situation at immediate hand needed her attention.

"Now, leave me to concentrate," she said as she holstered her bow once more.

Her nightly routine of setting up wards around their campsite was one that the group had grown familiar with. Though they had yet to encounter any threat or apparent danger on their journey thus far, she seemed diligent all the same.

Back