Gattletowne

The Crowned Light of Midday Night
70947876d5da224136a90ff977313a11.jpg

THIS RP IS NOW CLOSED

I'm not going to reiterate the details I've already gone over in my RP pitch, but I'll go ahead and link the original post for convenience sake here

The classes I listed are not the limit of what can be applied to the characters. Pitch a class and we can discuss it. Same if you have an interesting idea for a race. I'd like to steer clear of traditional fantasy tropes, however. Elves, dwarves, and the like are out. Also the classes I did list were left vague on purpose to be fleshed out more if need be. My character (Melle) is a Gun Dog and I'm not quite sure entirely what that completely entails yet. Same with the Crackle. Have a cool idea about what that looks like? Flesh it out and pitch it. Same for the Crackle abilities, describe what it 'looks' like when the abilities are in play. What are the limitations? Making characters OP isn't very interesting.

These characters aren't ideals, either. Everything is ambiguous in this world. There's no hard black and whites. There's something good in everyone, and something bad. That's not to say there's not exceptionally good and bad people here, but most fall somewhere in the middle where life is messy and complicated. Let's lean into that.

This RP isn't necessarily post-apocalyptic, either. I'm think the old civilization is 2-3k years old. People are just getting back to creating their own tech. Like I said, it's the industrial revolution. And the steampunk aspect is more dark and gritty rather than high Victorian. Think the game Dishonored rather than zeppelins and grand brass castles. There is vague pall of entropy hanging in the air at all times as giant factories belch out great plumes of acrid poison.

So it's all open from here. What are the Greater Parishes? What other nations are there and what are their tech levels? How many Parishes are there? What is the government like? These are all things we should consider. If you like to make maps, make one! Show us what this world looks like. How detailed do we want to be? Clearly some plotting needs to take place before going in, but do we want to create the lore as we go, or work it out ahead of time? Pitch me ideas, thoughts, comments, characters, classes, abilities, whatever you think is important!

Character sheets can start out pretty basic and we can expand them from there if needed. Include name, age, gender, race (if we decide on more than human), class, and backstory. A pic would be great too. We can discuss skills and abilities, but you can include that with your character also.

As I said before, I'd this to be a little informal of an RP, and you can all give me feedback on this. All I'm aiming for is taking the pressure off of the writing element. Don't agonize over the perfect description, just get it out rough draft style. That's not to say I want to see one and two sentence posts, let's just worry about building the story and world and then work out the poetic bits later. I think it would be a cool project to sort of write our own fan fic. Maybe after we've had some some good RP, we can divide up sections among ourselves and then do all the poetic stuff, maybe put it in the creative section. I don't know, I'm spitballing here. Give me feedback on this, and if you guys would rather keep it traditional, then that's fine too!

Finally, I think the best role-playing comes from limitations and mistakes. I don't want to necessarily have a power fantasy here, I want an interesting RP. Some of the best stories come out of situations where the players fail, self sabotage, or their personalities get them into trouble. There's no competition here to be the most powerful and smash your way through this world and leave bodies lying. The narrative and what is good for the story is the most important thing to me. So let's keep that in mind and go be a bunch of fuck ups!

Quick note: I'm very sweary, so this will not be a PG-13 RP. Melle will say fuck a bunch. That said, I'm not into descriptions of sex or gore, but general mature themes are peachy.

Reference thread for updated world info here

Last edited:
Welcome to the Unification

Directed by
Gattletowne

Featuring:
(Character TBD) as played by
@Shadowwell
Artorius "Voltaire" Ellingsworth as played by
@Average
Simulacrum as played by
@SedentaryCobra
Sellibeth Isis Gardens as played by
@Nyx
Daniel Elage as played by
@ArQane
Gon Ashmiel as played by
@Oscar

Also Featuring:
Melle Beselisk as played by
Gattletowne

Special Thanks:
@Shadowwell
For extensive world-building contributions

Last edited:
Will suggest some ideas later. I do have a possible class idea will describe it later. Will there be something while not magical but something akin to that like mental abilities or the like here?

Will suggest some ideas later. I do have a possible class idea will describe it later. Will there be something while not magical but something akin to that like mental abilities or the like here?

Yes. The Crackle class is the non-magical psychic class. I defined it very vaguely so you can pitch ideas for it. I'm not limiting it to a specific set of mental abilities yet. Feel free to play with it as you please. You can find the description of it on my original post here

I know that you are trying to keep the classes somewhat vague, but i have a possible idea for a class that could work. At this point the name is up for discussion.

Survivalist: While many around you have started to use the ancient technologies once again, you are uncomfotable with that and have chosen to forsake that for other ventures. You are knowledgeable about how to survive without the amenities others have and know how to survive away from those amenities.

Basically it would be like a ranger or tracker style class, it could be adapted more, by you probably to fit the world, as right now you have a more concrete idea abut ti than i.

Okay, so you know how you mentioned the night being taboo? So, for this idea's sake, just for now let's assume there are steep divisions between the three classes and the way they're treated. (Because the system seems pretty corrupt from what I can tell) What if there's a group of illegal rouges that go under the name of night fighters that pledge to restore a balance to the way they believe everything should be (which isn't a perfect society, but it's better than the current system) and they're feared but are slowly gathering a following? And they can be led by someone who calls themselves -Ixe, I believe was the name of the night god/deity- to inspire fear, and they're not actually evil or gods, just smart enough to know if they can amass a following they'll have an easier time winning the rest of the people over.
Of course, as a rebelling ideology there's bound to be some conflict of ideals between themselves as well, (some want to rule, some want balance) which could be interesting to play with.

Whatever they're fighting for, I just think night fighters would be so cool.

It would also depend upon whether they would be a religious or pseudo religious group, the name Sons or Children of the Night could work.

Also Gattle would magic or something like it aside from teh force that crackles use exist?

Oh the juices are flowing my friends. I'll get to more detailed input as I have time. The reason I liked Crackle, shadow, is because I thought of it in terms of a colloquialism that originated as 'cracker' like head cracker because many of them are of the kinetic variety. It just became 'crackle' over time. There is a reason for everything I suggest because it's the details that make something special rather than mundane. But everything is up for discussion

I like the rebellion idea and using Ixe for psychology. Very clever. Maybe a class can come out of this

What is the world like generally, is there dangerous flora and fauna, anything that can cause mutations?

I don't think there's generally dangerous flora and fauna, but maybe in small, concentrated patches. Maybe in places where old tech has decayed and leaked bad chemicals into environment. This would generally be in unpopulated areas, probably in spots treasure hunters would find themselves getting into...

I had an idea for a faction fo sorts, depending upon whether there is anything that causes mutations or the like.

The church or whatever would call them The Touched, saying they are touched by Ixe, they are the shunned and the lowest of any social order. As they are shunned not many take real notice of them, thus they are a great source of information to those who have no care for the taboo or forbidden. I will add more later.

I like the idea of magic, it goes well with the taboo and forbidden theme I'm aiming at, but it's not prevalent and widely used. It would most certainly be associated with Ixe, and using it would be a big deal. I would thing Lorn Hermingild would be very interested in magic. I'd rather stay away from traditional fantasy magic tropes, though. If we're going to do magic, let's give it our own twist

Is the sun cult thing corrupt? I ask as i have an idea for magic.

In a sense anyways, With magic requiring life force, pretty much if you use magic your body will become weaker, but i have some ideas to make it diffferent.

Is the sun cult thing corrupt? I ask as i have an idea for magic.

In a sense anyways, With magic requiring life force, pretty much if you use magic your body will become weaker, but i have some ideas to make it diffferent.

It's not corrupt in the sense that's it's evil, it has become corrupt in the sense that any institution that amasses power and influence tends to become corrupt because the people in power are flawed. Just like Ixe isn't evil, it is just a personification onto which people can project their fears and anxieties. That said, the source of magic can be whatever we decide it to be. I'm open to ideas

With the magic corrupting idea, i was goign to say that normally it affects the body adn the like of only the user, but to get around that, the Church or whatever found a way to transfer the side effects to others, thus began the creation of the Touched.

A bit of history as to /why/ the night is taboo- a group of people with abilities once rose led by a great leader who only struck at night? They destroyed everything, and they've tarnished the name of the night.

Or it could be a left over from somethign that happened before the civilization fell. or somthing that started to happen possibly. Maybe they could have used a symbol that was usually associated with the night or something.

Back