KittyInTheHat

A DOLLMAKER WITH MY HAIR??? YAAAAAASSSS

c2b1d70b0f5b1acc384d90c2915560cc.jpg

It was to be a night of grandeur--the celebration of the Constantine twins' seventeenth birthday. It was going to be one of the biggest nights of Miss Lorelai Constantine's life: the night she was introduced into society on the arm of her beloved brother. Mr. Darcy Constantine, oh so proud to be leading his sister down the steps, missed the signs directing toward the disaster to come until it was too late.

Now, only the ghosts of the castle and one man know the truth about what happened that night in 1910...

@Appletree

Last edited:
“You know that one-one-one is an unlucky number, right?” said Fawn as she walked backward, tugging her hesitating friend along by her hands.

“That’s only in cricket!” said Jeanine.

Fawn pouted. “It’s still an unlucky number.”

Jeanine shook her head, not feeling at all compelled to match her best friend's grin. "Why are you so excited to enter a haunted house on the day that made it famous during a supposedly unlucky year for it, anyway? Do you want something to happen?”

“Of course!” Fawn winked at Jeanine and tossed her head, trying to throw her short hair out of her eyes and failing miserably. “That’s the whole point. Something better happen, or I will have put a whole lot more work into doing something than I usually do for a waste.”

Jeanine finally cracked a smile. “What did you tell your parents?”

“That I was going to the country with you to help with a photography project. Speaking of which,” Fawn’s eyes jumped to the camera case hanging around Jeanine’s neck, “you brought your camera, so you are at least slightly interested and not just going along because I dragged you.”

Jeanine grimaced. “Yeah, yeah. I just saw this as an opportunity to catch some really cool shots in a place no one goes into because they’re smart.”

“Oh, pish tush.” Fawn waved her hand in the air. “It’ll be fun! And you will get some pretty neat pictures in this place. Did you bring that lense filter for ectoplasm I gave to you for your birthday?”

“You gave me that with this trip in mind, didn’t you?” cried Jeanine indignantly.

Fawn shrugged sweetly and slipped away from Jeanine’s fraudulently angry hands. She laughed. “Well, did you bring it?”

Jeanine made a face. “As a matter of fact, I didn’t. I lost it.”

Fawn’s face fell.

Jeanine burst out laughing. “Oh my word, you should see your face!” she said through chortles. “Y-Yes, I have it!”

Fawn cried out and slapped Jeanine’s arm. “How dare you? That physically hurt!”

“So did that!” said Jeanine, still laughing. “Totally worth it, though.”

Fawn glared at Jeanine while she laughed. Once the older girl could breathe again, Fawn grabbed her hand and started running. “Just for that!” She let out a cackle. “Just for that you’re going in first!”

“C-C-Camera! Fawn, camera!”

Fawn stopped running and stuck out her tongue. “Oh, fine. No running. But you are still going in first.”

“No, I’m not.”

Fawn crossed her arms. “Oh yeah? How d’ya figure that one? I’m going to be in behind you.”

“But James will be in front of me.”

“James?” Fawn’s expression went through several fast shifts. “You invited your brother? WHIMP!”

Jeanine rolled her eyes, but didn’t deny it. “He’s meeting us at the bus stop.”

Last edited:
Sasha leaned against a car hood parked on the roadside just in view oft he bus stop. For the umpteenth time, she checked the time on the luminescent screen of her phone. Where was James? He was supposed to be here by now. Why had she let herself get talked into coming along at all? At the time it had sounded like a laugh when James had mentioned that his sister wanted to drag him to the haunted house. Now, standing around and waiting for her friend to arrive, she would rather be curled in bed and watching TV or something. It wasn’t that she was scared, but it seemed such a random thing to do. It wasn’t even Halloween.

She was half debating simply texting James and heading back home, when she heared voices and turned to see the two figures approaching the bus stop. Even at a distance she could recognise one of them. Jeanines bulky camera made her easy to pick out from any line up.
Pushing away from the car, she slowly made her way towards the two girls. She hoped James would turn up soon. While she knew Jeanine fairly well, they were in no way close, despite Sashas age being almost closer to the Wilson family daughter than the son. Still, who wanted to associate too much with their little brothers classmate? Standing around randomly with Jeanine and her friend wasn’t the most appealing prospect.

Jeanine pulled up short when she saw the girl walking toward them. Was that Sasha Farley? Why was she here? And where was James?

Fawn looked up from her phone when she noticed that her best friend had stopped. She looked back at her, then followed Jeanine's frozen gaze. She slipped her phone into her back pocket and crossed her arms. "What is she doing here? And where's your brother?"

Jeanine murmured, "No idea." She sincerely hoped that Sasha hadn't been invited to come with them. Surely James knew that his sister and his friend didn't get along... Jeanine had tried to make friends before, but Sasha had always rebuffed her attempts. Jeanine figured she knew why, but it didn't make things any easier. Why couldn't she be friends with both Wilson children? It would make things so much more pleasant. She looked around the area, pleading James to appear at any moment.

Fawn let out a deep sigh. "Your brother can't be so dense as to invite her. Is he not aware of her hostility toward you?"

Jeanine shook her head. "I don't know. Sometimes he can be oblivious, but I'd be surprised if he was about this. I've never talked to him about it, because I know he would feel bad and probably try to do something."

Fawn's eyes widened. "Wait... Do you think that he invited her in an attempt to help you two bond?"

"Oh goodness, I hope not. That wouldn't go well."

"Oh, look!" said Fawn in a falsely sweet tone. "She even looks so happy to see you!" Slimy sarcasm dripped off her words. "Let's get this over with."

Fawn started walking forward to meet Sasha. "Hey, girl! What are you doing here?" she called. The hostility is her tone was only slightly disguised.

Just then the roaring of a souped up sports car ground into their ears and an electric-blue Chevy Camaro whirled into view, easily 40mph over the speed limit. It flew past the three girls and for a millisecond Jeanine caught the grin of her brother as he flew by. He drove past the bus stop, then the car did a skidding 180 turn that felt rubber marks on the blacktop. He approached at a slower pace and pulled into a space on the side of the road. After a moment, the door opened and he rose into view, smirking.

Fawn's and Jeanine's mouths hung open. Their hair was now disarranged--more strands from Jeanine's braid had come loose and Fawn's short bob was mostly in the sticking up at a weird angle. Fawn ran her hands through her hair, trying to smooth it down as Jeanine walked up to join the other two girls as James strutted up to them.

"When did you get that?" cried Fawn.

"James," exclaimed Jeanine, "you didn't have that car when I left this morning! What happened?!"

James' eyes were glowing. "Early birthday present from Granddad and Grammy. Do you like her?"

"That's why you were late?" snapped Jeanine. "You were getting a fancy new sports car?"

James cocked an eyebrow and gave a half-smirk. "You sound upset, big sis."

"This isn't you! You and a sports car don't go together! Since when has my sweet baby brother wanted an electric-blue monster like that?"

James tucked his lips inside his mouth and lowered his eyebrows. "I thought you'd be happy for me," he said quietly.

Jeanine rubbed her forehead and sighed. "Look, James. I don't think having a sports car is going to be any good for you. You were going way over the speed limit!"

"I was showing off."

"How long is it going to be before you are racing illegally? How long will it be before you end up behind bars for reckless driving?"

"Jeanine," said James softly, "that isn't going to happen. You know me! I'm not going to be stupid."

"You already are being stupid! You could have gotten pulled over while you 'showing off.' I need you to have a clear head today. We are going into a potentially dangerous situation and with you already acting reckless I'm worried you are going to put yourself in unnecessary danger that could get you killed by a ghost or something!"

"I thought you didn't believe in supernatural stuff like that."

"If I didn't, then why would I have invited you? I'm scared, James Wilson, and I will need your support to keep my confidence. Please, James, get out of this silly mindset and become the brother I've known for almost eighteen years. I need your solidity and strength."

James placed his hand on his sister's shoulder. "I'll be fine. I'm just excited to have her. She'll be staying here anyway, she'll be out of my mind."

Jeanine crossed her arms. "I don't believe you."

"Jeanine, please, don't be like that. You can trust me."

Jeanine stuck her finger in his chest. "I better."

"O-Oh look!" exclaimed Fawn a little shakily. "There's the bus! Let's stop this crazy sibling argument and just enjoy ourselves."

Jeanine sighed and closed her eyes briefly. When she opened them again, she was calm again. "And James?"

"Hm?"

"Why is she here?" Her elbow resting on her arm and her hand under her chin, she pointed at Sasha.

James glanced at Sasha and bit his lip. "I thought it would be fun to have her along."

Jeanine grunted and turned away. She fished in a pocket of her camera case and pulled out her Orca card and the bus slowed.

Fawn sniffed and shook her head. "You made a mistake."

James stiffened. "She is coming with us," he said firmly.

Fawn let out a breath with her chin jutted out and pulled her Orca card from a pocket. She followed her best friend onto the bus.

James turned to Sasha and smiled weakly. "Sorry about that, Sash. Everything will be fine. I'll keep the peace if either one decides to act stupid." He stepped back and gestured grandly. "Ladies first."

((I'm not sure where the car business came from, it just kind of popped into my head... I'm sorry if it was too long and you would have walked to include an action for Sasha in that mess.))

Sasha sighed as the two girls came closer. Why did it have to be Faun? Jeanine on her own was fine to deal with; they generally ignored each other, or were civil when James was around, but Faun brought out all the insecurities and slight rivalries of their relationship bigtime. She probably thought she was protecting her friend from said friends brothers evil buddy, but to Sasha it simply felt as though Faun was picking on her.

She was just about to answer Fauns snarky question with a snide comment of her own when they were interrupted by James’ abrupt entrance. Finally! Much like the older girls, Sashas hair was in total disarray and her mouth was open. Her expression though portrayed only beaming excitement rather than shock.

While Jeanine began admonishing her brother, Sasha danced over to the car, appraising it from every angle and peering through the tinted windows. Though she loved her ols black and purple truck that her father had screwed together for her to bits, she had to admire the suave vehicle before her. Practically growing up in a workshop did that to a girl.
Still prowling around the car, she couldn’t help the tiny twinge of jealousy that sparked in a dark corner of her heart. Despite seeing similarly grand cars pass through the workshop regularly without batting an eye, this one was different. Perhaps because it belonged to James. She knew that her family would never own anything even remotely comparable and usually wasn’t bothered by it in the least, much like she wasn’t bothered by the financial difference between her family and that of her best friend, but seeing such substantial proof made it hard for just a second.

Despite being enraptured by the car, she couldn’t not overhear the argument going on by the bus stop and couldn’t repress the snort that escaped her. “Potentially dangerous situation?” She echoed, “What are you? His mother? We’re going into an empty house that a few people claim is haunted. The only thing you might need to worry about is loose floorboards and I doubt even your dear brother,” she shot a grin at the boy in question, “is stupid enough to trip in a way that’s life threatening.”

She stayed by the car till the girls had clambered onto the bus before bouncing back to James’ side. At his quiet apology, she mearly shook her head with a smile. “Don’t worry about me. You know I can deal.” She assured him, dipping into an overly dramatized curtsy before stepping past him to the bus. With one foot already on the step, she turned back to add, “And no matter what they say, shes beautiful!”

James grinned as he followed the three girls up into the bus and flashed his Orca card against the reader. There was almost nobody on the bus. Just an old couple who glared at James as he walked down the aisle--he knew that they had seen him when his new beauty had sped by--and a young man who was mumbling to himself and smelled very unpleasant. James quickly moved past him and joined the girls on the back row. His smile left him when he heard the "conversation" that Fawn, Jeanine and Sasha were in.

"For your information," said Fawn harshly, "there is significant proof that Constantine Manor is haunted. Today, one-hundred-and-eleven years ago a great disaster happened. A party was going on, that no one knows what was for. All of the guests never stepped out of the house.
"When things were investigated, anyone who entered the manor never came back. Years past and strange things started happening. Several people throughout the years went missing when they were close to the property. "Police and scientific searches have been made several times. Of course they stayed in contact with the people outside, but there was always screaming and the connection would die. They've tried hazmat suits and sent machines in. Nothing has ever returned.
"You tell me that it isn't haunted."

"And if you thought this trip useless, then why did you come?" snapped Jeanine. You can still get off the bus at the next stop."

"Enough, enough," said James as he sat between Sasha and Fawn. "She isn't getting off. I invited her, and she said yes. Don't try to bully her, Jeanine. This isn't even like you!"

Jeanine made a face, and turned to the window.

James sighed and flopped his head back against the cushion. This was going to be a long trip.

"Jeanine has an ectoplasm filter for her camera. You'll see that I'm right," said Fawn.

James closed his eyes.

Sasha rolled her eyes at Fauns tirade. Did the girl ever shut up? Who cared what sort of stories had been made up about the Manor? It was always the same with any dwelling that stood empty for more than 5 years. Oh someone dissapeared there, I heard sounds at night, My granny saw a light in the window... There was no reason to address her like some sort of hillbilly who had never heard of a haunted house before.

“Yes, thank you for the lecture Professor Colburn, I was not planning to major in ghostly nonesense. And for your information, its not unusual for us not to know what exactly went on 100 years ago, especially in a house pretty far out of town. Things get lost over time, thats normal, not supernatural.”

She scooted over to the window to make space for James. The more distance between herself and Fawn the better. She let James handle his sister; it was easier for everyone involved, except perhaps for James himself, she thought guiltily. Her short term resolution to try and be nicer for her friends sake crumbled at Fawns self-righteous comment.

“Who sold you that?” She giggled, “Must have been the easiest money they ever made. Bet they had a good laugh after you left.”

Last edited:
((Actually, I was thinking Fawn had done a bunch of research online and that the estate wasn't close enough to Henry (the name of a town in one of my favorite trilogies, so I stole it. :3) that everyone would know about it. Maybe it'll work out the way you have it, but I wanted to make it clear that Fawn was obsessed with the supernatural. ))

Fawn's pretty face went from flushed with anger, to scarlet with rage. She leaned over James and pointed an accusatory finger at Sasha. "Look here--"

Then James' chest expanded next to Fawn's head in a way that she was familiar with. She looked up to see James' eyes locked onto hers. His head was still flopped back against the cushion, but his eyes were open into slits. The look in them was terrible and infamous in Henry Highschool. It was hardly ever seen, but, when it was, it meant that any conversation the look was directed at was over.

Fawn swallowed and leaned back. The eyes followed her. She crossed her arms and looked at her lap, then down the bus, then out the window next to Jeanine.

"Fawn," said James quietly. Fawn flinched. "Don't tell me you've gotten back into that website. You know what happened last time."

Fawn took a deep breath, her eyes still flicking around. "I know about last time, but I'm smarter now."

"Are you? You bought a camera filter for ectoplasm. There's only one place you could find something like that, and last time you got mixed up with those guys you almost died."

"I know, James. But this time it was different. I didn't talk to anyone. Everything's fine."

Jeanine let out a little laugh, and Fawn whirled on her. "Why are you laughing?" she cried.

"I'm just thinking," said Jeanine, "that you sound like James did a few minutes ago." She looked at Fawn, then at her brother. "Funny how the roles can get reversed so quickly. Now I'm the one to say that we should drop it and just try to enjoy our trip." She made a face. "If entering a haunted estate on the worst day of the year to do it is something to be enjoyed."

James cast that look onto Fawn once more, then closed his eyes. "If I'd known that Fawn was active on that forum again, I wouldn't have agreed to come. I would have said no and convinced you to stay as well, Jeanine."

Fawn and Jeanine made matching exclamations of anger, but James didn't move a muscle.

((BTW, Sasha won't know what happened with Fawn before. No one outside of the Colburn and the Wilson families know what happened. ... And some police...))

Last edited:
This time, Sasha kept her impromptu resolution of staying out of Fawns hair, despite the desire to flash a smirk at her over James’ shoulder. Instead she looked out of the window, watching the interactions in the dark reflection rather than looking openly. She frowned in puzzlement at the exchange. What forum? What had happened last time? Curiosity gnawed at her, but she knew better than to ask. Pressing on a subject that made James break out ‘the look’ was never a smart idea, even as his best friend.

The bus rumbled along chewing up the miles much slower than his new car would have. James let out a deep breath and turned his mind to his baby. She could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, and the official top speed was 198 mph. He imagined himself speeding down an empty highway, the streetlights blurring to a constant yellow line, his stomach pressing into his spine. A dreamy smile drifted onto his lips.

"James," said Jeanine.

He didn't like her tone. His eyelids lifted and he looked at her.

"You promised."

James nodded. "Right," he said. "Sorry. It's just hard."

Fawn looked up from her phone. "What are you talking about?"

"His car. He promised he wouldn't think about it, but I knew from that silly expression that he was."

James smiled halfheartedly. "My brilliant sister, always interfering with innocent daydreams of young men in love."

Fawn snorted. "In love? With the car?"

James' smile grew. "You can't understand, Fawn. You just can't."

Fawn shook her head. "No, I really can't."

Silence fell again. Each person with their own thoughts. Fawn's foot began to tap to the beat of the pop song she was enjoying through bright yellow earbuds. Jeanine's mind wandered through worries about everything that could go wrong that night. James managed to keep his mind off his baby by thinking about how angry he was with Fawn for being so dumb as to go back to that forum. No joke, if she did it again, he would do everything in his power to make sure she never could again. He would break into her computer and phone and block the website. She wouldn't be able to enter it without the password that James would keep very secret. He smiled, but it wasn't a dreamy smile. More sneaky and confident.

When the hours had faded from one to five pm, and the bus was empty other than the four teenagers, the bus shuddered to a stop at a lonely pole in the dirt that leaned melancholically to the right. The pole hadn't seen any visitors in a long time, so it tried to look more impressive by straightening, but it had no muscles nor any way to control its movement, so it could only mourn its sad state.

Fawn was the first off the bus, her face bright with eagerness. She knew in the back of her mind that she wouldn't be able to see the wall that marked the edge of the Constantine property from the bus stop, but she looked around for it anyway. Jeanine was next, and although she knew the same, she looked for the wall as well. Not with a thrill of excitement, but instead with dread. James stepped down behind his sister and breathed in the country air. It smelled like dancing grass and healthy dirt.

Last edited:
Sasha hardly listened to the renewed conversation next to her, brain still puzzeling over what james had said as she stared blankly out of the window. It obviously had something to do with the camera filter. What did any forum have to do with it? If Fawn got the filter on a forum, it must be one for more weird supernatural nerds like her. But some geeks couldn’t be that dangerous for James to look so upset and worried under the mask of ‘the look’, right?

Even through the clogging thoughts, she caught part of James words and smiled quietly to herself. No, Fawn would never understand how he felt about his new car, but she could. It was one of the reasons she was allowed to count herself as one of his best friends.

As the journey continued in silence, she slowly drifted off; moving vehicles that she wasn’t steering made her tired or motion sick. Her sleeping form listed sideways till her head rested on James shoulder. She didn’t wake up till they had reached their destination and her impromptu pillow shifted as the bus ground to a bumpy halt. Slightly bleary eyed, she followed James outside, glad to have solid, unmoving ground beneath her feet. The fresh air did a lot to wake her up and raise her spirits again.

Alroy
wandered along the road with his hands in his pockets, whistling a tune idly. Around him a large shape raced from one side of the road to the other, circling interesting seeming patches of dirt and backtracking when the fancy took it. It never strayed out of its master’s eyesight, often returning to prance at his side or looking back to check his progress.

When the now empty bus trundled by, a simple call from Alroy had it lying flat on the ground in the knee high grass by the wayside, virtually hidden by the long green stalks. It was only after the bus had rounded the corner that Alroy saw the group standing by the dilapidated bus sign. Frowning slightly, he picked up his pace and raised a hand in greeting. This stop had to be one of the least trafficked in all the state. Were they lost?

Once in speaking range he said in his deeply accented voice, “Good afternoon, can I help you?” His companion, tired of lying still, chose this moment to burst out of the grass and race towards the group, revealing itself as a large overexcited dog.

((Do I spy with my little eye you shipping James and Sasha? *wiggles eyebrows suggestively*))

Fawn shielded her eyes from the sun behind the boy and tried to get a good look at him. "Who's that?" she asked anyone that would answer.

James shrugged, but stepped past her and waved at the red-head. "Good afternoon! We're just--" Jeanine's shriek of terror as the dog came into view and ate up the ground toward them, tail swinging, interrupted James. She scrambled back and, catching her heel on the edge of the road, landed hard on the tarmac with a gasp of pain.

James's reaction was instantaneous. He sprang forward and latched onto the dog's collar, hanging on and swinging the pet in a circle until it was at a relative standstill. It still bounced around and tried to lick James' face off as he held its collar, but the dog was no longer racing toward his sister. James looked over his shoulder and gestured with his head at Jeanine to Fawn.

She nodded and rushed to her friend's side. Fawn helped Jeanine stand shakily and let the older girl hide behind her.

James avoided the dog's tongue narrowly and looked at its master, a strange expression on his face. It was hard to describe, but it clearly held anger, protectiveness and slight amusement among the various emotions. "Excitable dog you have. Perhaps you should think of training it not to charge at any new people it sees, hm? That might be worth the hardship, because my sister is not the only person in the world to have severe cynophobia." His contemptuous tone was only thinly veiled with mirth.

((Haha, no. No shipping, just friend-shipping :p))

„Bubbles, down!“ Alroy barked, only seconds after James had grabbed her collar. The dog flopped into a dead heap at the boy’s feet with a whine, tail still wagging as she stared imploringly at her master in between attempted licks at James’ face. His wide, expressive face remained amiable despite the glares directed his way.

“Big words you’re using there. Might want to be careful with those, or not everyone will understand what you mean.”
His tone matched James rather well, but he winked and gave Bubbles a hand sign, allowing her to sit up. She scrambled to obey, almost knotting up her long limbs in the process and sat to attention, watching them all with large intelligent brown eyes.

Turning to Jeanine he said gently, “I’m very sorry about that. We’re not used to seeing other people out here, or I would have been paying more attention. You don’t need to worry about Bubbles, she’s perfectly trained and won’t do anything to harm you.”

Sasha meanwhile had dropped to her knees, oblivious of the dirt staining the dark denim of her overalls and held out a hand for the dog to sniff. “Shes adorable!” She gushed, only slightly put out when Bubbles whuffled at her hand and then withdrew, no doubt smelling the faint unfamiliar trace of oil and petrol, unnoticeable to humans, that clung to the girl.

“What breed is this? How old is she?”

“She’s some kind of border collie mix. My gran say it has to be some sort of mountain dog, but we’re not actually sure. She’s almost nine months old.” Alroy answered a little proudly.

Bubbles, knowing she was the subject of discussion, sat straighter, ears pricked and tongue lolling in a doggy smile. Seated the top of her head already reached Alroys upper thigh, and her still large paws promised another growth spurt to come. Primarily black and white, she had several patches and gradients in her long fluffy fur that almost perfectly matched the firey colour of her masters hair, most noticably the tip of her incessantly waving tail that was making half her body wiggle along with it.

“What brings you four out this far anyway?”

James swallowed back another unpleasant remark and walked to Jeanine. Rubbing her upper-arms gently, he whispered in her ear until she relaxed and looked away from Bubbles.

In the meantime Fawn was speaking. "We're here to visit the Constantine Estate. Today's the anniversary of the disaster one hundred and eleven years later--which is an unlucky number--"

"In cricket," mumbled Jeanine.

"--and I thought it was a great time to come explore. I'm Fawn. That's my best friend Jeanine, her brother James, and..." she looked at Sasha and her lip curled, "one of James' friends. What's your name? And what are you doing out this far? Don't tell me you live all the way out here!"

(Sorry for the short reply. :()

Last edited:
Sasha rolled her eyes as she stood up and brushed off her hands before holding one out to shake. Trust Fawn to make her distaste known even through something as simple as introducing everyone.

“Don’t mind her. I’m Sasha.”

She wanted to ask where he came from; she was rubbish at placing even native accents, and his was definitely foreign, though English seemed to be his first language, but thought it a bit weird to be asking right off the bat.

“Alroy MacKay. Roy if you prefer.” He shook the offered hand, watching the dynamics between the four. With James still focused on his sister, a definite rift was visible with Fawn and the siblings on one side and Sasha on the other. He wondered why Sasha was there if the other three apparently so disliked her.

“And actually yes, I do live out here. Well close enough,” he nodded at his dog, “this one needs a lot of exercise, so our walks take us off the beaten paths quite a bit.”

Hoping to settle Jeanine’s nerves, he groped in a back pocket and pulled out a leash to attach to Bubbles collar. She stayed still until she heard the click of the clasp closing, then rolled over onto her back in hopes of belly rubs, which he was glad to give her.

“The old manor?” he addressed Fawn again, looking up with his hands still buried in thick white fur.

“People generally stay well away from there according to my gran. Are you doing some kind of dare or initiation?”

Fawns emphasis on the date wasn’t lost on him and he thought it rather strange to be going into a supposedly haunted house on this specific day.

((Don't worry about it. ;) Mid-conversation posts are often shorter, theres only so much you can do/describe other than the words said.))

Jeanine visibly relaxed when the leash clicked on to Bubbles and she managed a slight smile at Roy. "I'm sorry about that," she was quietly. "I had a really had experience with several dogs when I was really little and I've had trouble with them ever since."

James rubbed her arms one last time. Then he went to Roy and held out his hand as Fawn spoke enthusiastically.

Fawn laughed. "Haha! No, there is no dare or initiation. I'm just a real big fan of the supernatural--"

"More like obsessed," said James.

Fawn stuck her tongue out at him. "And I asked Jeanine to come with me. Because she's a real whimp she invited her brobro, and he brought his friend." She grimaced at Sasha. "Though I don't know why."

"Fawn," said James tiredly as he let go of Roy's hand, "just drop it. If there are really any ghosts in that estate then they probably won't be happy with you being nasty to Sasha. It'll probably make things worse. I would say to get your beef with her out and dealt with before we go in, but I know that would turn into a screaming match, and the problem wouldn't be dealt with."

Fawn looked slightly annoyed by James' words, but she nodded. "Your right. That wouldn't make the ghosts any happier with us being in there. Negative emotions just make everything worse." She took a deep breath and blew it out. She looked at Shasha.

''Okay, then. Slight truce? Just until we get out?"

"If we do get out," said Jeanine.

“It’s understandable, if a little sad. They’re wonderful animals. Perhaps Bubbles can help you get over some of your fears hm?” He ruffled the dogs belly once more before standing back up to shake James hand as Fawn burst into speech about their trip.

Sasha glared right back at Fawn, daring her to say another word against her. James’ timely intervention prevented her from saying something that would have likely escalated pretty quickly. Fawns offer of a truce was surprising to say the least. She always thought the other girl would rather be caught dead than looking at her with anything other than contempt. If she had known all it took for her to lay off was a couple of imagined ghosts, she would have dragged them all here much sooner.

A glance at James showed her a flicker of hope in his eyes. Knowing it was hardest on him, her gaze flicked back to Fawn, grey green eyes locking onto brown. Finally she nodded tersely. “If you can keep it civil, so will I.” She ignored Jeanine's comment, still not buying all Fawns talk about the manor.

“Mind if we tag along?” Alroy had watched the situation with some interest. It seemed to him the group could do with a neutral party involved and checking out a haunted house sounded like fun, more than he would probably have alone at home at any rate.
"Some additional eyes and ears can never go amis, especially if we do come across something supternatural. Besides, Bubbles might be a sheep dog, but she can be quite the guard dog too when she wants to be."

Jeanine bit her lip and looked at her brother. Somehow, she felt like it was his decision. She didn't know why, because Fawn was basically the leader on this expedition and James was her little brother. Still, since he protected her from dogs, and had since he his was able to, she sort of felt that he had the right to say whether it was okay or not.

In turn, James looked at Jeanine. He shrugged. Jeanine glanced at Bubbles, then back at James.

"You're sure she won't do anything crazy? Even if we see some ghosts?" Jeanine asked.

"Speaking of which," said Fawn, "will she really not freak out if we come upon any decimated spirit that's dripping blood that howls at us and tries to kill us?"

Jeanine whimpered softly.

"If she's really that brave, and you think you can handle it, then sure! Come along! It's always more fun with more people." She glanced at Sasha, seeming to think that it would be more fun if one certain person wasn't with them, but she held her tongue.

“Don’t worry, she‘s a steady lass; has to be to work with the sheep. And even if she’s still young enough to get excited over things, she listens just fine and is small enough that I can hold her.” Alroy reassured, holding up the leash in his hand in demonstration.

He wasn’t sure if Jeanine looked so scared at the idea of Bubbles freaking out or at the thought of evil spirits, but decided not to push it. She had only just calmed down after first meeting his dog, there was no point aggravating the poor girl further.

Sasha smiled when the others gave their approval. Finally she wasn’t outnumbered by people who would willingly sacrifice her at the first chance. Fawn and Jeanine would have to go through her friendship with James as well as whatever morals the new guy had to do that now.

Alroys grin broadened as each member of the group gave their ascent. “Lets get going then!” he turned to Fawn, “You seem to know the manor best. I’ve never been near it before so why don’t you lead?”

Fawn grinned and nodded. She checked her phone for their location and the distance to the estate and headed off to the south, down the road.

Jeanine stayed as far away from Bubbles as she could. She may not be terrified that the dog would charge her and try to bite off a leg, but that didn't mean she was ready to walk next to it and chat with her owner.

James kept an eye on Jeanine as he walked next to Sasha.

About two and two thirds hours of walking later, a shadow appeared on the right. In the remaining sunlight it looked like a dark line spanning miles to the north and south. A side road of gravel, broken up with weeds and no longer safe to drive on, ran toward the line. A metal fence blocked the road.

Fawn paused and snorted. "What's with the fence? No one can drive on it now, anyway."

Jeanine frowned. "Maybe the fence has been there since the road could be driven on?"

Fawn shrugged. "Probs, I guess. Come on," she pointed at the line in the distance. "That's the estate wall. We're almost there!" She started again, walking faster this time.

She broke into a jog when the wall was clearly visible--about twenty minutes later. A raucous laugh broke from her lips as they stopped in front of the wrought iron gates. She spread her arms wide and cried out joyously, "This is going to be awesome!"

"This is going to be awful," moaned Jeanine.

Everyone followed Fawn through the wide gap between the gates. The remaining scraps of the sun's light instantly dimmed further. Jeanine's breathing could be heard. Fawn's eyes were glittering as she brought out an industrial-sized flashlight from her backpack and switched it on. James and Jeanine did the same. Fawn looked left and right, at the overgrown grass and ominously looming trees, a disturbingly large grin on her face. Down a gravel path overridden with weeds and through a near-jungle of twisting, deformed plants, the tips of three gargantuan stone towers could barely be spotted through the trees. Already the five adventurers could tell the castle was over four stories tall, and that it spread at least a quarter-mile in each direction.

"Oh boy..." whispered Jeanine. She inched behind her brother.

Fawn moved down the gravel drive leading up to the ancient fortress, a skip in her step. Half an hour passed with her giving them a rousing running commentary about the history of the estate and castle before the haunting began and what they would see inside and on the grounds, when she suddenly fell silent. They had finally the cleared the trees and could see the castle in full. Everyone stilled to an almost unnatural degree, gazing up at the massive, cracked fountain before them and the house beyond.
95166650-salzburg-austria-july-15-2017-huge-fountain-on-rezidenzplatz-residence-square-sculptor-tomasso-di-ga.jpg
The marble fountain, cracked, faded, and covered with creeper vines and moss was still magnificent as it stood like a sentinal in the direct way of the road. To compensate, the road split into two strands that met again two-hundred yards from the front steps of the castle. Right in front of the grand structure the road split again, following the wings and out of site. Fawn murmured something about leading to a carriage house and to other buildings, but most of her attention was devoted to the impressive, giant fortress. Even from this distance the castle seemed to lean over them menacingly, casting a cold shadow over the little group.

Hundreds of windows, like blank, black eyes and mouths covered the front of the house. Almost all of them had broken glass, some the remaining spikes looking like a fang-filled maw, waiting to devour them. Nature was slowly reclaiming the house through the broken windows on the bottom row, twining vines slithering past the glass to disappear into the pitch interior.

Jeanine shuddered and whispered, "Do we have to do this?"

"Yes," said Fawn firmly and walked around the fountain. She stopped again before taking the first step onto the short stairs up to the porch. Taking deep breaths, she moved her flashlight beam over the columns supporting the porch and up to the balcony above the porch. She gasped,

"What, what?" cried Jeanine, flinging her flashlight up to the balcony as well.

"I thought... I thought I saw something... But it's gone now."

Jeanine whimpered.

"This early in the night?" asked James, moving the large white circle of his light around the surrounding area. "This doesn't bode well. It's only 8:30. What did it look like? A ghost?"

Fawn shook her head slowly. "No... It didn't look like a ghost at all. It wasn't glowing or wispy or transparent. Honestly, it looked human."

"Human?" squeaked Jeanine. "How can there be a human here? Everyone that entered has never come out!"

"Maybe they never died. Maybe they just couldn't leave," said James.

"That doesn't make much sense," said Fawn slowly. "How could they have become trapped here? Why did the ghosts not kill them?"

"I have no idea," said James. "But if they are still alive, then there might be some friendly faces inside. Maybe we can help them escape."

Fawn's grin could be heard through her words, "That would be amazing. We'd be heroes! Right, who's first?"

"Your idea," said James. "You go first."

Fawn shrugged in the flashlight beam and headed up the stairs. Jeanine grasped James' hand like a lifeline and while it was so tight that it hurt, James didn't tell her to let go.

The huge doors were open and Fawn walked through without hesitation. The case wasn't the same for the others.

Titus_Lunter_241.jpg
A lot like that))

Inside, the foyer was enormous. Their footsteps echoed on the marble floor. Faint moonlight shone through shattered windows, but it didn't illuminate anything other than the floor directly beneath them. The group's flashlight beams moved around, lighting upon a mostly collapsed grand staircase, fallen railings, broken statues and vases, and gaping black doorways like the throats of beasts about to swallow the teens whole. The doors for these rooms had rotted away long ago, leaving rusted hinges on the floor.

The smashed statues and vases were what bothered Jeanine the most, and James agreed with her that it was weird when she said, "What has been in here to smash those?" in a quavering voice.

As those frightened, ominous words slipped from the quivering lips of the reluctant heroine...

The flashlight beams went out.

Jeanine screamed and clutched her brother's shoulders as she hid behind him. A groooaaaning wind whistled into the room through the broken windows and open doors, and suddenly...

The doors slammed shut.

Jeanine shrieked and squeezed her eyes shut.

Fawn stood frozen, unable to move as two figures, moving slowly and glowing faintly, came into sight. One came from the left passage above the grand staircase, the other from the right.

Clicking footsteps and a swishing sound, almost like a gown brushing the floor, followed the figures. They stopped moving when they reached the precise middle of the passage, and they slowly turned to face the five teenagers. Down they glided, feet not touching the stairs, until they reached the step in the middle of the staircase. There they stopped, linked hands, and gazed at the group.

Jeanine opened her eyes, then quickly squeezed them shut again. Fawn's breaths were erratic and shallow. James stood straight and still, but his heart was pounding so hard he was sure the two ghosts could hear it.

"We have not had visitors in many years..." The voice of the female ghost was like a cold wind that cut through clothing and froze the heart until it no longer beat. It seemed to come from everywhere, but loudest from the figure on the stairs.

"Why have you been so foolish as to come here. You know you can never leave." The male ghost's voice was hard as steel but also so quiet that it could hardly be heard.

"And on our birthday..." said the female in almost a whine.

"Why do you seek death so readily?" asked the male. "Are your lives so dull that you think coming to our home on the day that we fell was a prudent idea?" The male's voice was rising, beginning to howl like the wind that still blew the group's clothes and hair everywhere.

"No one has ever been so foolish," said the girl. "I think these children deserve something more than a simple death, don't you Darcy?" The girl looked at the boy.

Darcy laughed, a cackle so menacing that it made Jeanine lose her breath. No, more than that! She couldn't breath! She clutched at her throat, tears spilling from her eyes and mouth gaping in a silent scream. But it wasn't just her! Everyone flailed, trying to expand their lungs, trying to breath, trying to live!

Then the blockage was gone. The group fell to their knees, gasping, crying.

This time the girl laughed. It did nothing other than to run ice-cold fingers down their spines, but that was enough.

Jeanine folded in on herself, sobbing.

Fawn sprang to her feet and ran to the doors, pounding on them and screaming for help as loudly as she could.

James pulled out his phone with shaking hands and fruitlessly tried to dial the police. His phone wouldn't even turn on.

The ghosts spoke together then: "That was only a taste of what is to come. You never should have come to Constantine Estate!"

They all began to feel pain. A cold ripping that seemed to shred their skin. The feeling of all their blood pouring out onto the marble overwhelmed them and the screams echoed with the laughing of the ghosts.

All of a sudden, there was the sound of a voice crying out foreign words and the pain stopped. Everyone looked up to see a figure, not glowing at all, standing at the top of the stairs. The voice spoke again, a rich baritone that boomed with power. They couldn't understand the words, but the ghosts' reactions were immediate. They spun around and, shrieking, charged the figure. More words from the man and a flash of green light.

Then the ghosts were gone.

The wind died.

And the flashlights came back on.

The only sound they could hear was the labored breathing of the man on the stairs.

((So, yeah! I can't write horror! But I did my best!))

Last edited:
Back