The nameless swordsman and the renowned warrior

It had taken him quite a while, in fact. Chiyoko, in the meanwhile, walked up and down, her eyes dashing to whatever signalled a motion. Mostly it was a leaf and made her hiss at her own paranoia.

The more she turned, the more adrenaline rushed into her veins. In fact, Chiyoko could have pissed herself in the very moments. Though no one could have ever noticed. The first time… She did never realize it before. Her steps halted. The war… and this was her very first mission. This right here was the nerve wrecking mess she was signed up to. It wasn’t even the battlefield yet…
Groaning under her breath, Chiyoko slightly relaxed. Tried to. May the world go under in chaos, but the camp may not survive if anyone dared to return.
… What a joke.
She never murdered anyone, and because of a damned map she wouldn’t start stain her sword with blood.

The tent rustled. All she saw screamed at her “unorganized”. Her finger tickled for a short moment to clean all that mess. Though it reminded her on how the house looked if her brother had one of his delightful ideas.
"I found the map... Now, let's get out of-"

“Hm? Took you long eno-”

Her brows risen. Tsubame halted mid-sentence, his body tensed. The muscles flicked to his sword and she was about to call him out as she felt it. The predatorous, somewhat lousy stare. Someone had stayed to protect the camp?? Well, what a lazy squad then! Tsubame and Chiyoko had stood here for quite a time now. Drunken bastards.

And as they closed in, her sword was drawn. As well as the male had done the same. Yet… they attacked him first, and each had gone down with a soft thud. Grunting, Chiyoko straightened her back.
And yet his posture said this wasn’t the end yet. She was aware of her surroundings, indeed. And suddenly, Blueberry was nothing but dust. Before she even settled her sight to the messenger and his bird, her heart throbbed.

He had send it off to fly— They were so doomed and chosen for the damne…

For a moment, the world halted. Not because the bird flew away, it was because of this insane inhuman being. He pulled out his technique once again. The sword swung as light as a stick, but with the power of ten men.
Both, her and the man, gasped. Chiyoko felt herself tripping over the air as she stumbled backwards. Her eyes almost fell out of their sockets! This was— incredible. Nothing that could have come from earth! But it did… It did and he was the living confirmation of it.
In million of swings in one motion, he had cut down the bird in the middle of his flight, and knocked out the man. However, the bird was accurately cut in two halves.

“H-how...,” she tried to grasp the air in her lungs and squeeze it.
Her hand grabbed a piece of her tunic, and held it like it meant her life. She felt her heart beating out of her chest. An incredible move, something she still couldn’t encounter, and she hadn’t seen it at it’s fullest potential yet…

Once again, he approached her. As if he had never pulled such trick.
"Phew, that was close... Alright, they're all down...”

“Yes! And you didn’t even let me try them,” she winced amused. In some circumstances she would have felt glad not to fight. Her wrist was not intended to get better soon. She hadn’t minded it though.

“I found the map and I managed to kill the messenger bird just in time, and the other soldiers are unconscious... Fortunately they were drunk, so I doubt they'll remember our appearances. Still though... We should get out of here. Let us go."

She nodded her agreement. “You fought well, Blueberry,” Chiyoko chimed as she rushed after him. He had given their shinobi a sign, before their steps slowed until they hid once again. Huffing, the female leaned her head in her neck.

“What now? Locate the General and how to end him? I,” she raised a sloppy hand,
“am convinced I can drug him enough.”

"What now? Locate the General and how to end him? I am convinced I can drug him enough."

"Oh? And how would you do that without being spotted by any other guards? The moment someone spots you we're screwed. Though I must commend you for at least giving an idea at all. I don't have any."

"...Hmm..."
Tsubame thought about what to do. But first, he inspected the map a little bit first, to see where the other camps were, specifically the main camp. "...I think we might be at this camp here... Which means the other camps are still pretty far away. I think this is the main one, but... It'll take at least six hours to get there on foot, and, well..." He looked at the sky... The sun was setting. They have been traveling for many hours without any success. Though he probably could keep going, it was important that they rested well. They still needed to eat, too.

"Let's look for a place where we can rest up for a while, okay?" He got up, then took initiative once again and left to look for a place to rest.

They travelled for about half an hour, until they discovered a small lake. "I suppose it's best that we rest here, considering there is water... Maybe if we're lucky there's fish in the lake, too. I'll try to catch some in a few moments. First I'll start a campfire."

Fortunately, living as a hermit has allowed him to take independent action to survive. Though he was not necessarily an expert at it, he at least knew the basics of survival, which allowed his stay at the mountain.
It did not take him too long to start a campfire, which kept them cozy and warm. "Alright, this will do... If anyone asks where I got this flint and steel from, just say that I brought them with me and totally did NOT steal them while looking for the map..." He winked. "I was lucky to find them there... At least that means we can have food if there are any fish in this lake."

"Speaking about fish... Time to catch some."
He stood up and walked towards the lake... Then he removed his kimono, leaving him with only his underwear. Tsubame did not care how much Chiyoko could see of his body. It's not like he had anything interesting about it to show. Then he walked in the lake, to the point that he could still stand on the ground, taking his sword with him. "I guess a spear or a fishing rod would make things a lot easier for this..." He stabbed right through one of the fishes, then threw it on land. They didn't have a bucket to put the fish in, so this would have to do.

After a while he had killed a few fish, and so returned back to land. He put his kimono back on, cleaned the fish from dirt and then pierced through them with a few twigs he found, so that he could roast them above the fire. "It's not much, but at least it's something. I hope it's tasty."

"Oh? And how would you do that without being spotted by any other guards? The moment someone spots you we're screwed. Though I must commend you for at least giving an idea at all. I don't have any."

"At least an idea," she sighed and leaned her head in her neck. This was tiresome. How were two machines suppose to murder someone when they were out of flesh and bones and feelings? Grief, horrors... Chiyoko doubted she could sleep tight with blood stained on her hands.

He then pointed at a few camps on the map. "...I think we might be at this camp here... Which means the other camps are still pretty far away. I think this is the main one, but... It'll take at least six hours to get there on foot, and, well..."
Six hours?? Her jaws gaped at such a foolish amount of time. By horse, yes, indeed. However, they would go on foot! Anywho, enough time to figure a way to murder a man they have never met. A man who shouldered a great number of lives, probably. Perhaps even a man with wicked stories and legends. Perhaps a man with a family, a house, and a normal life.

He gazed at the sky. The sunset smeared the clouds and blue in a reddish, orange tune. A few stripes of violet sickered through. Winds shook the crowns of green and woke the forest up. Sooner or later Tsubame and she had to rest. Her limps wouldn't take her any farther, they were most likely to break. Chiyoko would have never admitted that, though. She was never trained for tenacity. Her fighting style consisted of fast blows and outs. No fight had gone over ten minutes... except the combat with the man before her. The female guessed her adrenaline back then had taken over, pushed her ahead of her borders and limits.

"It's getting dark," she mentioned the obvious. Wow Chiyo, what an interesting realization.

"Let's look for a place where we can rest up for a while, okay?"

Raising to her feet, she smoothed her tunic as well while she mumbled, "We better do so, Blueberry. Except you want to travel with the wolves and foxes and deers at night." Not boars, Chiyoko disliked them at all costs. They were... strange companions of nature. Perhaps delicious, but lethal and unpredictable.
She fell into a step beside him. They had walked in a soothe muteness. It had her somehow relaxing, unnerving her thoughts, and just focusing that no boar jumped out of the bushes. Until they had reached a lake. It was almost round like a circle she had seen in her brothers notes when he was back from school. Though, it was more oval than round. It reflected the deep red sky, with every cloud and every silhouette of pairings of birds.
Tsubame explained to her that they needed a campfire, as well as something eatable. "I am starving, now that you mention it," Chiyoko muffled through her teeth. Fish sounded good, pretty good actually. Ah, it must have been of regularity for him. Survival in the wild. How could... Chiyoko could never live for more than two months without civilization. How must it have been for him, though? For him living alone for half his life. It felt weird, to be honest. She would eat without her utensils. Without her creating the favorite trimmings of her brother or adding some extras to the fish.

It hadn't taken him long to flare a campfire. For a moment, the fear of someone discovering them thanks to the campfire boiled in her mind. Even if, they could take them down. And perhaps she could send a shinobi for watching over the tiny space they penetrated and claimed for the night.
The fire, beside her worries, kept her numbed body warm as she seated beside it. Though, she wondered where he had gotten the flint and steel from...
As if Tsubame read her mind, he winked at her. "If anyone asks where I got this flint and steel from, just say that I brought them with me and totally did NOT steal them while looking for the map... I was lucky to find them there... At least that means we can have food if there are any fish in this lake."

It had her chuckling. "Oh? Nowadays leading a side career as a master thief as well, dear Bluehead?"
Chiyoko shook her head in theatrical disbelief. "Did never expect you to sink that low." She glanced at the trees that circled the lake. "You could share some with me though," she added with a laugh. Honestly, it was like a twisted hero in disguise. Take from the rich, and keep it. Who had to tell her to share it? Others could as well just go and steal... Some got caught, some not.

He got up to his feet, and simply went fishing. Her eyes traveled within his pace. She learned the basics, like berries, mushrooms, and some herbage. Never ever thought her father her the hunting-basics. It had been too much for him to offer her the swordslessons already.
She gritted her teeth as the- Fuck.

"What the bloody hell..."

He-he had just stripped down to his underwear and- and she laid her eyes exactly on him. Truth to be told: never ever had she seen a man half-naked, never ever had she thought about that, anyway!
Chiyoko felt the blood dashing to her face and ears. Soon she faced the bristling fire again. That was how she looked, probably. A wildfire. A messed up wildfire.
Well, for her to judge, mister I-don't-care-about-your-innocense-eyes was built pretty good. In comparasation with her father's round belly...No. No, she could not~ She would never think about a male that way. Judging by looks were out of her league, anyway. And thinking about her miserable love life... not yet. She wasn't ready to face the incident years ago.

Fine. She was no kid anymore...

Her sight fell back to mister I-can-strip-when-the-fuck-I-want. Tsubame's muscles popped and stretched. Like a musical and theatre of tiny actors. Each fulfilled their part in some kind of stunning motions. When she thought about it... Her body had not looked different. Well, of course, it did! Slimmer, more neatly. Like a fine art. She had muscles, too. Sowrdsfighters always had, she suggested. However, Swordsfighters who live on their own were apparently on a completely other level!
She cleared her throat and jerked her chin to the campfire once again. "Mhm, nope, absolutely not impressed," she told herself. Chiyoko would never look at males that way. No way. In fact, she would never look at anyone that way. Why should she? She had her brother! And... her fights! And... and... and her swords! What else would she need but those things?

At some point, he had even returned. Of course, back in his clothes. She still saw him without it anyway. He stuck them on a few sticks and roasted it. While mister Let's-pretend-that-didn't-just-happen sat there in all his nerve-wracking calmness, she bit her lip before scoffing, "Whenever you think to catch yourself a cold again, warn me so I can stab my eyes beforehand."

She growled, "See, other girls don't take half-naked men that well! You can't just take almost everything off."
Chiyoko cleared her throat once again. "Not that I could complain but-"

Ah yes. "I-i will eat now!" Grabbing a half-done fish she bit into it. Her cheeks grew hotter than the last summer... Now was the perfect time of stabbing her for real. Now or never. She wouldn't even fight against it. The earth could open and drag her down, she would thank it for such kindness.

"We'd better do so, Blueberry. Except if you want to travel with the wolves and foxes and deer at night."

"Wolves, foxes and deer?" Tsubame laughed a little at her remark. "Of all animals you could pick, you pick those? Really, wolves will only attack you if they're in a pack and you're in their territory, if you're not then they won't do a thing. Foxes are actually very scared of humans, they won't dare to attack them. And deer... Well, same as foxes, really. They think that we humans want to make them our dinner, after all. Now, bears, on the other hand..." Even Tsubame was shivering a little when he mentioned the bears. "Hoo boy, you do not want to meet a wild bear. I made the mistake of trying to challenge a bear to a fight in my first year of living on the mountains... Trust me, the few upcoming years I had a serious fear for bears. I'm lucky to still be alive. Now I can kind of take them on, but I'd still rather avoid them."

"Oh? Nowadays leading a side career as a master thief as well, dear Bluehead? Never expected you to sink that low."

"What, abandoning the berry part now, strawberry?" He chuckled a little. "As for the master thief part... Say, if you happened to be in an enemy camp and you saw things that would higher your chances of survival, would you steal those things? I know I certainly would. Else this fire would have been created with a lot more struggle..." He sat down next to the fire, to get warm again as the water was rather cold.

"Oh, speaking of things I stole..." He went with his hand back inside one of his pockets, grabbing the bandage that he stole from the camp as well. "It's not a whole lot, but at least it's something. I hope it'll make your injuries at least slightly better. Honestly, I don't know what they were thinking, leaving bandage inside of a random tent instead of the infirmary..." He then tossed the bandage towards her, careful with his toss so that it wouldn't fall right into the bonfire and the effort of stealing it was for nothing.

The girl obviously was in distress, and he had a feeling he knew why that was the case. And when he returned to land, his suspicions indeed were confirmed when she talked about it: she was embarrassed to see his half-naked body. "See, other girls don't take half-naked men that well! You can't just take almost everything off. Not that I could complain, but-"

"
Oh my! I would not imagine that you were interested in my body that way, but here we are all embarrased, Chiyoko-chan. I feel honored~" He grabbed one of the skewered fishes and held it above the fire like a marshmallow. "I guess in the end you are a lady too, huh? I would imagine you as the type that is too busy tending to the sword to pay attention to the opposite sex, but here we are... Heehee, I guess I underestimated your womanhood. Well, if you ever want a peek again... Don't be afraid to ask, milady. Actually, in fact..."

Tsubame decided to tease her even more. He stopped roasting the fish and put the twig back into the ground, and then he gently pushed the right upper side of his kimono from his body, revealing the right half of his torso. "Phew, sitting next to a fire with my kimono on in the summer night is quite... hot. Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I won't get a heat stroke... But you won't complain, right?" Now that Tsubame was closer to Chiyoko, she could see his torso with a little more detail. His body was, despite being muscular, rather slim. He probably trained in a way that he had power, but still could maintain his speed, as too much muscle would make his attacks heavier and thus slower. His muscles were firm, yet tender. Honestly, on closer inspection... Though Chiyoko probably had seen it already, Tsubame was a really handsome young man. His face was almost perfectly symmetrical, with his eyes being a beautiful natural purple. Even the small details of his face, such as his eyebrows, wimpers and his mouth, gave off an aura of elegance, something that also was reflected in his fighting style. And that smile of his... It amplified said elegance even more.

"Oh, by the way, that fish is not fully roasted. You should probably roast it a little more." He grabbed his fish again and continued roasting it. A few moments later he was done, and he started eating the fish, removing its bones first. "Hmm... Considering the fact that there's no seasoning on it, it's quite delicious. I hope you like it too."

"What, abandoning the berry part now, strawberry?"

Her brow rose. He had actually noted the slight difference in his nickname. Strawberry … was it because of her fabrics she wore? Probably.
It almost made her laugh. Almost.

"Oh, speaking of things I stole..."
He tossed her a bandage. With a slight surprise she grasped it. No one had ever offered her bandages beside her brother. No one had dared to, Chiyoko knew, because of her life maker himself. She was certain he had cut down any medic that tried to help her. Perhaps it could’ve prevented scars and the slight limp she had. It was barely visible, she kept a steady pace too. Ah yes, her father… She should slice his hands off once in a while, too.

“Thank you,” she mumbled and tucked them away. Later, when no eyes could judge her, she would struggle and fight with the bandage until it was around her wrist.

As he told her his story about the bear, she felt a tingle in her hand to simply slap him. How could anyone, anyone, walk up to a bear and try to fight it? And survive. By her brother’s name, how often was this man knocking on death’s doors already?

"Oh my! I would not imagine that you were interested in my body that way, but here we are all embarrased, Chiyoko-chan. I feel honored~"

That tingle just intensified together with the already flowing adrenaline. Chiyoko needed to strangle him
once in a while.
“Don’t feel honored you dumb blueberry,” she hissed before biting the fish once again. It tasted… rough. Which demonstrated the need of heat but oh well, she could ignore that.

"I guess in the end you are a lady too, huh? I would imagine you as the type that is too busy tending to the sword to pay attention to the opposite sex, but here we are.”

Her lips tightened to a thin line. In fact, somedays, she enjoyed to be a woman— a simple girl that sought love, joy and protection. However, she just wasn’t that girl. Her swords were her wall, her rivers and her hands.
And yet… Yes, she regretted it too much to ever have fallen in fucking love. Those feelings wrapped her in weakness, in weeks and months of dull and painful moments. A fragile weeping woman, that was who she was years ago. Because of what? A damned boy, exactly.

“Heehee, I guess I underestimated your womanhood. Well, if you ever want a peek again... Don't be afraid to ask, milady. Actually, in fact..."

Chiyoko scoffed. “What now? You gonna tell me how unladylike I am and-“
Her words got stuck in her throat as he- yeah. nonononono.

“Get that kimono right back on your shoulder or I will shove you into the- the forest?!”

She felt the heat rushing to her face and ears. Of course! Tsubame sat closer to her and in the perfect lighting. It let his torso shine and sparkle in a sundown-like illumination. It— Oh gods! She had to stop gawking like that.

"Phew, sitting next to a fire with my kimono on in the summer night is quite... hot. Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I won't get a heat stroke.”

‘Don’t mind me?’ MY ASS!

Chiyoko twitched her head away and held her hand before her eyes. Nope. Nopedy. Nope. Noooo. She was not prepared for such sudden change of situation! Where had that ‘Oh, I stole some bandages’ nice blueberry gone to? When had he decided to have the audacity to shove his kimono off his shoulder??

“But you won't complain, right?"

“And you won’t complain if I toss you into the fire when you do not pull up that fucking kimono again, will you,” Chiyoko rasped and pointed at the campfire with her free hand.
Fire! That was what she intended to say! Hah…
Having Tsubame stripped off his clothes in a good distance was somewhat acceptable! But so close up? The view was magnificent, indeed… Who would have judged her anyway? Every woman and man would’ve fought to be in her shoes in those very moments.

The companions— they were not alone— people saw her flustered over an exposed shoulder.
No. Nope. Not gonna happen.
She turned her head back to him and struggled to keep her eyes upon his sight. When she didn’t see it, her mind couldn’t picture the detailed picture of the rest. Her oh so tricky mind…

“I will gut your eyes out,” she growled and slipped back in her old shelf, “And if I am done with it I will slid your nose open.”

Somehow… those words felt too bad. She felt actual grief over what she just spat out. Especially if those stunning eyes held her stare—

Grunting, she turned back to her fish. “Forget it!”
I can’t do it.

"Oh, by the way, that fish is not fully roasted. You should probably roast it a little more."

She knew that too! Well, she could taste it.
“Believe it or not, Blueberry, beside my swords I actually enjoy cooking,” Chiyoko offered, poked the fish over the flame again, “And one day I will simply blast away your mind with my perfect cooking skills.”

She may had not been the best of the bests, but she was gradually being close to them. Confidence was all it took, too.
He began to eat then.

"Hmm... Considering the fact that there's no seasoning on it, it's quite delicious. I hope you like it too."

“I never had fish right from the lake,” she chimed amused and held the fine and equally roasted fosh before her face, “It’s the best I have ever eaten.”

Yet, before she ate it, Chiyoko called out, “For Lord Raijin,” and one of their companions appeared only a few heartbeats later.
With the same coldness as always, she glanced at the figure.

“How many have you taken down?”
“A few. Not all, some slipped away.”

She growled underneath her breath. Wasted deaths. People who died drunk and for a little act of thieves. A shame, to be honest.

“I want you to scout the area,” Chiyoko ordered,
“Every single spot in our radius. I hate surprise guests.”

"Pfft! Hahahaha!"

Tsubame could do nothing but laugh at Chiyoko's reaction. Now he realized, despite her ability with the blade, just how womanly she was deep down. "Hahahahaha! You really are a woman at heart, huh... Most female warriors I read about were much like the old men I read about, which were emotionless, almost inhuman people. I wouldn't be able to have nearly as much fun with them as with you right now. I'd probably already be bored to death had they been my partner..."

“Believe it or not, Blueberry, beside my swords I actually enjoy cooking, and one day I will simply blast away your mind with my perfect cooking skills.”

"
Oh? You actually enjoy cooking, huh? I'll make sure to have a taste of whatever you cook for me, then. Believe it or not, I'm quite the food enthusiast, so I'm always happy to try someone's cooking... Back when I still lived in the village with my parents, I'd always go out to small restaurants to a nearby city, to try out new things." Tsubame smiled as he put his kimono back on. That was enough teasing... She'll have his mercy. Perhaps she'd try to gut his eyes out for real if he continued any longer. For now... He'd ask for her opinion on something.

"Say... Do you have any other interests, besides brawling and cooking? I myself have always wanted to pick up an instrument to play, but I never could decide which one... And obviously I had no time to learn an instrument while I was on the mountain. But now that I'm back from that little adventure, maybe I can start considering it yet again. I was thinking of learning the koto, but a koto would obviously be very hard to carry with me, so maybe a biwa would be more convenient... But I like the sound of a koto more... Or should I perhaps go for a shakuhachi instead...?" Tsubame was thinking deeply about it, obviously having a large interest in what he was talking about. He did not really care if Chiyoko had no idea what he was talking about, he just felt like talking about it.

Chiyoko summoned the ninjas that were following them, to ask them to scout the area. Well, he could understand why she would do that... Being murdered in their sleep is not something that sounded appealing to him. As they would be safe for now, he decided to lay down and gaze at the sky, which was clear and filled with stars.

"One of my favorite pastimes before I go to sleep is gazing at the night sky, to look at the stars... Say, what do you think is up there? Reaching there is impossible as we cannot fly, but I'd like to imagine that maybe we will one day be able to travel even beyond this night sky here. Perhaps birds have already reached there many times, and have been granted the privilege of such a sight..."

"Hahahahaha! You really are a woman at heart, huh... Most female warriors I read about were much like the old men I read about, which were emotionless, almost inhuman people. I wouldn't be able to have nearly as much fun with them as with you right now. I'd probably already be bored to death had they been my partner..."
She sent a silent prayer to whatever deity he believed in, hopefully that would not turn into a "you are not that bad as a partner" talk or else she would scout the area herself. Sentimental talks often ended in chaos, especially if she was involved and her mockeries or lies.
"Whoever taught you about female warriors, he needs a huge lesson. Ever met a human being who was completely cold like a stone?" Her eyes fixated on him before trailing back to her fish. "Everyone has feelings, some are just better at suppressing them."

Chiyoko grinned at his offer to taste something from her one day. "If we survive this shit here," she said, leaning back and stroking her self-crafted Katana beside her, "I will offer you a whole damn meal that could feed an army. Any dish you like."
That he'd also expose fragments of his past caught her off guard. Blueberry, in her mind, was a wall-secured person. Chiyoko guessed wrong, once more.
The aroma of freshly cooked fish tingled her nostrils, flustered her with satisfaction. At least none of those horrible dishes the military gave them.
His following question let her arch an eyebrow, but she allowed him to elaborate this talk a bit further. It didn't quite surprise her that a calm natured man like him had found his interests perking to instruments. Her grandmother used to play the biwa. She'd sat in her spot and play it for Chiyoko and Hiroji, they'd dance and laugh to the varients of tunes and rhythm. Although the other two remained a lack in her mind. Hiroji might have an answer for it if he would have been here. He'd probably add how it is made and how it is played, too.

"Personally," she began, quieter than ever. "The Biwa doesn't sound that bad, you know? And it is pretty handy and mobile. So, why not give all of the instruments a try?" Chiyoko grinned at him. "It's not like we will be short on money."

As her summoned little scout vanished, the male decided to mud his Kimono with the dirt. Chiyoko scuffed shortly but settled on her buttcheeks beside him, and a bit more distance between them, of course.
He dreamed about what laid beyond the sky, the stars, and the moon. A dreamer, she concluded. Nothing she'd relate him to, but after this night she had learned a lot more about him. Which was either to her despites or likings. Obviously, he didn't need to reveal his body like that as a beginning but who would complain in such a situation.

"My father told me, when I was a kid, that the stars are souls that wandered to the sky, of our beloved or even enemies," Chiyoko said, hiding the reason why her father would even mention something like the death to a child. "They watch us and who knows, maybe the birds are their pets?"

"Whoever taught you about female warriors, he needs a huge lesson. Ever met a human being who was completely cold like a stone?"

"Well, I can't say I've exactly met many people, aside from the villagers from back where I lived. There were some people I simply couldn't get along with, though. They often took things way too seriously, talking to those kinds of people is a chore...Trust me, they are simply unbearable. You don't want to meet them." Tsubame sighed. Merely thinking about them was exhausting. He remembered the time he had to assist a farmer close by with collecting crops, and all he did was complaining and grumbling about how poor of a job Tsubame did. Of course, Tsubame has not helped him out ever since.

"Everyone has feelings, some are just better at suppressing them."

Tsubame looked at her as she told him about feelings, looking a little more serious than usual. "Well, of course everyone has feelings. It's up to themselves how much they suppress them. Some people just merely are too stuck-up or serious for my tastes. I can't get along with someone who will get judgmental when I make jokes or will only tell me to focus on my job when I try to have a casual conversation with them. That's merely my preference, of course. No doubt there are people who can get along with such types."

"The Biwa doesn't sound that bad, you know? And it is pretty handy and mobile. So, why not give all of the instruments a try?"

"Well, how would I take all those instruments with me? It would be a waste to buy them, play it one time in front of the shop, then leave it to rot on the streets. And besides, I might get bored or realize that I simply am not meant to be a musician. It would be a waste of money in that case." Tsubame thought deeply about his choices. Then he remembered... "...Well, my old man has two old koto's in his room. Maybe once this stuff is over and I am free to go home, I can borrow one of his. He was quite good at playing it too, so maybe he could teach me a little."

As they continued with their chit-chat, Tsubame continued to gaze into the sky, as he saw a falling star shooting through the atmosphere. The crescent moon did little to bring light to the forest, but at least it was better than no light whatsoever. Oh well, they had a campfire for light anyway. "Birds are the pets of souls wandering through the sky, huh... That's interesting. Do you think dragons are the same?"

"...Well, my old man has two old koto's in his room. Maybe once this stuff is over and I am free to go home, I can borrow one of his. He was quite good at playing it too, so maybe he could teach me a little."

"Your old man, huh?" Chiyoko grinned, this time it was genuine. The sight of someone remembering his home, or where he came from, always lightened a cozy satisfaction in her. She rolled her temple in her neck. "I think mine would tell me I am crazy and that I belong in fights," she admitted. "Although he was so against it in the beginning." Chiyoko shutted out the reminder of her damaged wrist. Although it pondered like thunder, her adrenaline by the sheer mention of a good fight covered it pretty much.

"Birds are the pets of souls wandering through the sky, huh... That's interesting. Do you think dragons are the same?"

A question she never thought about. Chiyoko wandered in her imagination. A dragon was a mighty beast in the folk lores and she heard many tales from them. Some looked like flying gigantic snakes and others were described as gods. Although in further stories dragons were mighty, with their delicate way of moving in both terrains- the sky and the earth. Some cherished them and others feared them.
Chiyoko never eyed one, to be completely honest. She didn't believe in something she never saw or witnessed on her own. However, she never saw souls either and yet the thought of it kept her ongoing. It was what she needed, the ensure that she was never gone forever. Her brother didn't even know her and yet he believed she walked beside him, or sat at the table and helped him with his studies. Chiyoko sometimes wondered if she had supported her career as well or if she'd disapprove. ... No. No, she would have never ever judged her. She'd probably smash bowls on the heads of those who booed Chiyoko.
She giggled at the sheer imagination of that but quickly shutted it.

"Well, uhm," she added instantly. "I think so. Why not?" Her eyes met his gaze. "After all some have cats and others have birds as pets when they still live in a body. Why shouldn't the souls pick their pets too?"

She has a dragon, I am sure about that.

(sorry it took so long @Hylius )

"I think mine would tell me I am crazy and that I belong in fights. Although he was so against it in the beginning."

"Eeh? He wouldn't let you have hobbies at all? Correct me if I'm wrong with that, of course..." Tsubame was quite surprised when he heard her say that. "What a narrow-minded man... If you don't enjoy life, then what's the point of living? Well, not that I am one to talk, because the only thing I do in life is trying to get better at swinging a metal stick... But still, that's out of free will."

"Well, uhm, I think so. Why not? After all some have cats and others have birds as pets when they still live in a body. Why shouldn't the souls pick their pets too?"

Tsubame grinned as he heard her trying to find an explanation as to why souls probably have pets. He didn't know why he thought this, as she wasn't particularly vocal about, but something about how she answered made him think that she really cared about this particular subject. "Haha, when you put it like that, it does make sense. Well, when I die, I will probably get met with a very 'warm' welcome by the souls whose pets I have killed for my own benefit... Can't wait for that moment, I suppose. You'll protect me once we're both in the afterlife, right?" Truth be told, Tsubame did not fear death. If he were to die at an early age, whether it be because of illness or because he is killed in battle, he did not care.
'So be it' would be his mindset in that kind of situation. What's the point of fearing the inevitable? Worrying about such trivial matters would only cause him to be unable to enjoy the time he has while he actually is alive. For someone who is solely dedicated to mastering the sword, he sure knew how to enjoy himself.

A yawn escaped Tsubame's mouth. It's been a long day, so even someone like him would get tired eventually. "I think I'm going to rest... But first. For lord Raijin." One of the ninjas appeared, ready to take orders. "If we are not awake by then, wake us up at sunrise. Remain at guard until then. That is all." The ninja nodded and vanished as quickly as he had appeared. Tsubame closed his eyes. The ground may not be the most comfortable bed out there, but he was used to it. "Good night, Chiyoko."

"...You'll protect me once we're both in the afterlife, right?"

"Bold of you to assume I wouldn't help them," she giggled and stretched her arms into the air. A long day like this always wore her out, like an old gown or training sword, or how he'd say it a "swinging a metal stick". She would have to make sure to use that once or twice a day.
"Perhaps I will hint one word or another in your matter," she added, spacing out. Her mother would have done the same. She was always such a kind and charming lady. Always helping others first, helping the children, cook for the old lady across the road, and maybe, at the end of the week, it was her turn to think about herself.
Just like a dragon, learning to fly. Her mother was peaceful- not because she never heard of the word violence, no. She knew how to murder someone with nothing more but a spoon. However, she chose no violence and that made her truly peaceful.

Tsubame mentioned the afterlife. Death. She'd die either way and pretty much enjoyed her life. She reached her main goals and well, to die without a family of her own was not too bad after all. Her brother would carry on their bloodline and he'd be the only one to remember her. She doubted her father would know her name after two days she has passed.
Chiyoko grunted slightly. Tonight was a poetic and philosophical talk-night, wasn't it? Somehow she was glad, somehow she regretted it. For years she talked to no one like... that. Except with her brother but since he found himself as a women magnet, he basically had no time to spare for her.

He summoned a ninja and told him to stay guarded and wake them at dawn. "Don't worry, Blueberry," she hummed, the nickname she gave him sounded more... warm than before, somehow. "You have an early-waker sleeping right beside you. I will wake you with some cold water," Chiyoko grinned as he yawned. Odd enough, she yawned right after him.
Plum, he laid straight down. Her nose wrinkled as he just plainly laid in the dirt. She didn't wear an expensive robe, yet again she would so not risk it. To wash this kind of fabric cost her more than two nerves. Adding to that, the ground was uncomfortable and their camp was too far to grab a pillow.

She blinked. Once. Twice. Use what you have. Chiyoko, obviously, would not get undressed like somebody else. Especially with the eyes of their companions probably running once or twice to her.
Tiredness and her absolute loss of senses and time made her to an idiot.

"I don't want to hear anything," she hissed and rested her head on his stomach.
She was such an idiot.
"Not. a god. damn. word."
Such a huge, huge idiot.

"I am not going to lay on the clearly unfitting earth and since you already did, I can use that. And if you say anything, I will shove my sword into your butthole. Just so you know," she muttered and hid her arms under her head. Chiyoko ignored the heat in face, or the racing heart.
Although, as she once more stared up to the night sky, she quietly added, "Thanks for the... nice talk."

"Bold of you to assume I wouldn't help them. Perhaps I will hint one word or another in your matter."

"
How cruel. Well, I guess it's not that much of a surprise. Heh." He chuckled a little, now knowing he couldn't count on her defense. Oh well, he would be dead anyway, so it wouldn't matter.

Their conversations have not only been quite poetic, they've also been very... fluent. It was very odd to think that just the day before, the two were unbearable to each other and were arguing all the time when they were together, yet here they were now. You'd almost say they were a match made in heaven with how amazing their chemistry has been. Tsubame had to admit it. She enjoyed her presence. Not just because she was merely entertainment to him and he enjoyed teasing her whenever he could. He just felt like they got along well.

"Don't worry, Blueberry. You have an early-waker sleeping right beside you. I will wake you with some cold water."

"I honestly expect to wake up before you. Usually I wake up before sunrise, after all. Because... You know. Practice. It's just a precaution, really." He didn't know just how much of an early bird Chiyoko was, all he knew was just through what crazy lengths he went to get better, sometimes even waking up in the middle of the night after 2 hours of sleep. Of course, he rarely did that, because not having his body in peak condition would merely hinder him.

Then, after already having closed his eyes, something unexpected happened. Chiyoko decided to use his body as a pillow, clearly unwilling to sleep on the dirt. Obviously she was very flustered when she started laying on him, but he didn't appear to be fazed in the slightest. Instead, he just took this as an opportunity to tease her a bit more.
"What, only resting your head on my body? Why not just lay on me entirely while you're at it? Your clothes will still get dirty if you only rest your head on me. Dummy." Saying this in the calmest, smoothest, most soothing voice ever, clearly he enjoyed all of this. "No worries, Chiyoko. I'm happy to chat like this."

Her body was warm. Or at least her head was. Either way, as he was not used to sleep in blankets, even during the cold winters on the mountain, this was quite pleasant. He had forgotten how it was to sleep under a warming blanket, and though it was not exactly the same, this was about the closest it had gotten in years. Her warmth made him feel at ease, as he slowly but surely was drifting away into the realm of dreams.

And indeed, next morning he had already woken up before the sun had risen. Chiyoko was still asleep, though, so early morning practice would not be a possibility. Instead, he just patiently waited for her to wake up. Perhaps meditating while laying down could be a thing... So he tried to do that instead.

She'd punch his guts if he wouldn't have been so frustratingly comfortable. Eventually, she crept closer, too. The warmth he irritably offered baited her, besides the cold bit her constantly and he helped pretty much with that. It reminded her of a bed, a blanket, and a pillow, her home. Fine, she'd never admitted that to him. Nor to herself. yet again, she had enough time for gutting him tomorrow.
Her lids fell shut and without any further warning, Chiyoko went into the land of endless possibilities.

The first rays of the sun seeped through her lids. She blinked her optics open against the illumination that burned her sight. Groaning she shifted atop the lifting and falling pillow, her back facing the sun now as she snuck clo- She sat up and whirled her head to the blue-haired male. "Oh fuck," she hissed under her breath and hopped onto her legs. Chiyoko was convinced that the lazy pig still slept, or at least she hoped so before he noted her cuddliness in early mornings.

"For lord Raijin," she rasped and coughed to clear her throat. That was nothing. Simply her using him as a pillow. Nothing more and much lesser than anyone probably thought. Chiyoko only used him and that was that.
As a ninja appeared she demanded a report while searching for a stick. While he talked about how the drunk men either fell asleep in the middle of nowhere or went in any direction and took the bait, she crouched to the floor and poked her rival and human-pillow.

"Blueberryyyy," she hummed while listening to the report. It almost sounded like the morning gossip from the local elders.

"Oh fuck."

Tsubame had to do his very best to make sure he wouldn't fall into a spontaneous burst of laughter after Chiyoko realized what she did. Though one of the reasons he didn't want that to happen was because she was meditating, another reason was that he wanted to bring her a false sense of security that he wouldn't know what happened. Yes, it was stupidly reckless and it would guarantee him at least one punch in the gut, but it would be worth it.

As the ninja was giving Chiyoko his report, Tsubame decided to eavesdrop a little, to hear what the ninja had to say. Seems like the enemy lord has been found, and he was very close to their position. It would take 30 minutes at most to reach their base on foot. It basically was a matter of figuring out a strategy now.

"Blueberryyyy."

Seems like she finally wondered if he was awake or not. Best way to let her know was to simply reply. "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees?" He decided to pause for a few moments to see what her reaction would be to that, still having his eyes closed and laying the same exact way he had been when he was "asleep".

Afterwards though, he slowly got up.
Ready to make his move. "Man... I must say, I've had the warmest rest I've had in years... It was amazing Almost like I had a blanket to warm me up... How did you sleep, Chiyoko? I take it using me as a pillow must have been quite soothing for you, too. I must say though, you move a lot when you sleep..." And then, slowly, the smuggest smile ever known to humankind was on his face. Let's see how this would go... Would he puke out the fish he ate yesterday after Chiyoko's assault? Or would she have mercy?

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees?"

He stayed perfectly still and like the minute before. Was he awake or was he not as she slightly didn't arrive in reality yet? That bitch, though! How dared he!
She squinted her eyes at him.
"Get your fat ass up," she hissed and he did, gladly. Chiyoko did not allow to let her blush creep into her face and expose her, again. He played. One hundred percent, he played to irritate her.

"...I must say though, you move a lot when you sleep..."

Fine. Two people could play that game.

Chiyoko arched a brow at him, challenging him silently.
"Oh Berry, you surely enjoyed my moving. Can't pity you enough, though." She picked unbothered at her manicured nails. "After all, you were the worst pillow I ever had! No wonder I twisted so much," she mumbled, picking up her sword. ... She blinked once before wielding it close to his chin. Not enough swing to harm him, and enough distance so he'd stayed unharmed, but it was close though. Chiyoko grinned, "Next time I smash your nose."

Though he was definitely expecting her to at least threaten him, whether that was with her sword near his face or not, the rest of her reaction threw him off a little. He expected her to get all flustered, instead she reversed the flow and started teasing him herself. Very well. Challenge accepted. "Ha, what did you expect? I am but a mere human, consisting mostly of bones. Did you think I would be as soft as wool, giving you the comfort of a lord sized bed? Dummy."

"To be honest, though, I expected you to punch yesterday's dinner right out of my stomach... Oh well! I guess a punch to the nose would hurt just as equally."
He laughed a little bit as he picked up his nodachi. They needed to leave and kill the enemy lord as soon as possible. Yes, he was not looking forward to that event, but it's best to keep your mind away from it during those kinds of things. "Well, shall we go?"

As they were on their way, Tsubame gazed around. They still were in the huge forest, the presence of animals still there to be sensed. He wasn't sure what to talk about yet, so Tsubame decided to think about a conversation topic. About his life, about asking her about her life, about the mission, or maybe even a story... Yes, a story would do. His dad told him many of them.

"Say, Chiyoko... Do you know about the legendary swordsmith of mount Haku?" Tsubame had to think a little bit about how the story went again. It's been years since he last heard it, so he had to make sure he recalled it correctly. "Supposedly, there used to live a swordsmith on the mountain I trained on, many years ago. He had created many fine blades, supposedly so sharp that it could cut even the elements itself. If you were to hold one of his swords horizontally when there was a breeze, you could actually hear the wind whizzing as the sword cut it. It also is said that the swords could even sever the soul straight from the body, rather than merely cutting the body in half. Supposedly, he used the magma from Haku as a heat source to forge his blades..."

Now that Tsubame thought about it, he never actually went to the summit of mount Haku. After all, it was a volcano, and who knows when it might erupt again. He would be the first to be fried into a painful death. "I wonder if those stories are true. I can't confirm it, though. The man has been dead for at least 200 years."

Chiyoko swung the sword around her waist, adjusting it to her very likings, as well to her type of moving. "To be honest, though, I expected you to punch yesterday's dinner right out of my stomach... Oh well! I guess a punch to the nose would hurt just as equally."
Her brow arched at him as she gave him a side-glance. "Surprise Blueberry," Chiyoko hissed. "But I kind of ne-"
The bird was definitely poisoned. she didn't need him. Not even in the slightest. Even with her injury, she still could have taken them all with irritating ease.
"Forget it," she huffed and smoothed her clothes.

Both trailed into the forest, deeper and deeper. The enemy was close and yet there was no sign of strategy. Her eyes kept scanning the ground, too. Herbalists from all of her training camps taught her well. Chiyoko mastered the arts of a sword quite easily, and with strengths came weaknesses. At some point in her moves, if she moved too quickly or without paying attention, she often twists some muscles. Or injure herself, mostly the wrists and legs. Of course, she was witted enough to prevent such an event. Unfortunately, none ever prepared her from the start from the mountains.
She worked years for her reputation and yet, after the tournament, it was that blue-haired bastard who was the number one theme in the local taverns. None spoke about her move in the midst of their fight or that she kept it going like that. But she couldn't blame him anymore. It was wrong to blame him for the activities other did. After all, she still made it.

"Say, Chiyoko... " he ripped her out of her spinning mind. Her temple snapped up from the ground. She never truly looked for a fitting herb. Chiyoko doubted they even grew here. "Do you know about the legendary swordsmith of mount Haku?"
"I only heard myths about either a local ghost or souls with pets," she hummed, something in her mind picking on her to end this where it was. However, she added, "Let's hear it!"

The story sounded magnificent. A sword to cut elements- such creation and their artistry with the sharp sticks, combined they'd be the most powerful humans in history. It was a simple myth, obviously. There was no such thing as element cutting swords or dragons, neither souls with pets. But to believe was another art one had to obtain.

"I wonder if those stories are true. I can't confirm it, though. The man has been dead for at least 200 years."

"Maybe, if you strongly believe in it, there might be a sword, hidden in the deeps of the mountain, that can cut through the wind," she offered and scheduled her sight for an outlook. "But maybe you should use that daydreaming head of yours for a strategy. After all, we are on a mission to become murderers."

Killing... Never, not even in her wildest nightmares, had she taken another one's life. That general had done nothing to her. Hell, did he even knew her name? She'd end his career as a human, she'd take a father from his family. Children would have to grow up without him, a family would be torn apart. All for just a few quarters of land. Was it worth it?
Could she deal with his blood on her hands?
Chiyoko bit her lower lip, her pace slowed. She could turn around now, start anew. Tsubame wouldn't hold her on the spot, he might give her away, the ninjas might trace her, but she would be free. There was no one she couldn't beat, except for the Blueberry and his yet hidden talents. Although her wound could become a pain in the ass.
And yet it seemed light to fall this decision.

"Maybe you should use that daydreaming head of yours for a strategy. After all, we are on a mission to become murderers."

"..."

Tsubame was oddly quiet when she mentioned the mission. Usually he would reply with some kind of witty joke or tease, but now it was just dead silence.

Truth be told... Tsubame was not sure if he had it in him. After all, he did not know the enemy general, nor his motives. Tsubame is supposed to be neutral, someone who does not blindly follow orders without question. Yet here he was, forced into this mission to kill a man he never met, no questions asked. All to serve the "great lord", someone who he never had met before either. And now that he has gotten so far, he couldn't back out...

Soon, they reached the supposed enemy camp. Hiding in the bushes, they had to come up with a plan.
"...Well, I gueses this is it. I guess for a plan... We could use the same strategy we applied at the previous enemy camp. Surely the lord won't leave their base since it needs to be protected. Just give me the word when you're ready."

They arrived quicker than she expected. Before them, a campsite drew in the forest. It was oddly similar to the previous one. Tents hovering above a med-station, a general tent, and sorts of benches for the soldiers. The horses sided to the right end of the camp, with the wagons and whatsoever.
The undergrowth offered them enough shielding from scouting eyes. Although she saw none of the soldiers scouting the near area. Something was terribly off. The aura around the camp, the fact that no one checked around the campsite, and perhaps the way they were dressed, too. Heavy armor wrapped around them, the iron reflecting the early morning light.

"...Well, I guess this is it. I guess for a plan... We could use the same strategy we applied at the previous enemy camp. Surely the lord won't leave their base since it needs to be protected. Just give me the word when you're ready."

Chiyoko spotted spear-fighter as well as swordsmen. But where were the archers? To disable them first was her main priority. While she could see the attacks from the two other fighter-species, archers could target her without her knowing. Obviously, Chiyoko did not want to look like a kimono which suffered from moths.
Her hand grabbed for a thin twig. Without paying any attention to it, she drew a brief layout of the camp, or at least what she saw and suspected.

There had to be archers. And even if the lord stayed, some would stay to protect him, too. Not that it was any kind of problem. Although she doubted that they'd fall for the same trick over again. Their last camp got dissolved in the same way. For sure, the Lord launched some sort of precautions. Now she just had to figure those out...

"Listen," she began while continuing to stare forward. "They are not foolish, nor are they drunk today. We need different maneuvering."

But what? What could lure them out? What was convincing enou-

They did not suspect that she and Tsubame were only a two-men-army. Her head snapped back as she grinned at Tsubame.

"I have an idea," she announced.

"They are not foolish, nor are they drunk today. We need different maneuvering. I have an idea."

"Oh? Let's hear it." Tsubame remained put and listened to her idea. He wanted to use the same plan, but she was right that the guards would not be as foolish to completely abandon camp just to take care of a few ninjas. It would indeed be better to come up with something else... And if she had something, might as well listen.

Back