The North Quarter

"Simply Lady," she replied in mild amusement, "As I imagine you are not simply, Ira. Still good to know nonetheless." Taking another drink, she studied the two as Ira lounged over the countertop. They had her at a slight disadvantage already, having seen her armor and her sword, they would know her class already. Mag was much larger, befitting a stronger, knight class. He didn't look lithe, like a proper Lancer. Perhaps this was their Rider. The smaller of the two, Ira, reminded her a bit of a cat in his mannerisms. He would be harder to discern, but she was certain that he was no Assassin. He was far too flamboyant for the shadows. It was all conjecture at that point, however one thing remained certain. Either one of them could be the stolen servant from her Mistresses' family.

Her eyes traveled from one man to the other curiously, while Ira spoke of their prior conversation. "Aye it is different from my own home. The air is different, the food, which I must admit, while not necessary I am eager to try, and even the libations," she agreed, holding up her glass, "Though I find that the important things are very much the same. There are still the innocent and those who would do harm. There is still life and death, and all trials between. When you consider our role in this world, in that way it is no different. We have a duty to conduct ourselves cleanly. Would you both not agree?"

She took a long sip of her drink and finished off the last of the liquor. The presence she felt was growing stronger and closer to their location, but she said nothing. They could feel it as much as herself, if they were paying attention.

Last edited:
(Made with Ver)
I'd like you to expirience the feeling of life again.
The words strangely resonated within Assassin's thoughts as the two of them made off for the North Quarter. He remained quiet for the most part as the two of them walked together, as the Heroic Spirit thought more on the odd sensation of "existance." He stuck his arm out idly, staring at his stretched palm, before clenching it into a fist, feeling the glove hug his hand as he did so. Assassin almost pondered how long he had ceased to exist, but... Well, time was not a concept that existed within the Throne of Heroes. It was simply a place that "was," but was not "is." The bespectacled Servant sighed, letting out a soft, amused breath to himself as he mused over such things. How complicated indeed.

Once they reached the North Quarter, Assassin stopped suddenly, his expression quickly shifting to a more serious one out of nowhere as he narrowed his eyes, scanning the area meticulously. An individual Servant usually could not outright sense another Servant, but generally, they were able to at least detect their general presence in the form of the mana they were made up of. And Assassin was no exception. Taking a more guarded stance now, he spoke in a wary tone.

"Master. They're close."

Hearing that sentence Daichi's mind began to form a plan. 'I guess this experiment will need to be put on hold for now. Its best to take this oppurtunity.' He thought. "It's unlikely that they would have noticed our presence yet considering your an Assassin. But for now I guess this would be a good time to gather information so no combat." Daichi began rumaging through his jersey's pocket he pulled out a wad of yellow talismans with the kanji for 'Fire' written in blood mana could be seen emitting from them.

"These are curse talismans specifically these are Curse: Fiery Heaven." Daichi said before handing a 3rd of them to Assassin. "These explode and burn anything within range or what they've been stuck to after being activated. Use them to make an escape if necessary. Just pour a tiny bit of your prana in them to arm them afterwards this will activate to any foreign prana." Daichi explained. "Though I doubt it would damage servants that have high magic resistance fire is very distracting. Anyways good luck I'll treat you afterwards." Finishing his instructions Daichi began to walk towards the McRonalds easily blending in with the crowd.

Last edited:
Magnan grunted at Lady's words, shifting in his seat as he downed the rest of his glass, resting it as carefully as he was able on the countertop before looking into the glass and mulling over the woman's words. He wasn't all that concerned with what she was saying if he was honest with himself, but he supposed that was part of a conversation.

"Life is life. Wherever there's good, there will be bad. They are intertwined so tightly that not even the gods could seperate them. After all, if one went missing, we wouldn't know what the other even was. There would be nothing to compare it to." He rumbles, pouring himself another glass.

Holding the liquor up, he peers at it. "And I for one like this place. It's bright and the people here do not cower in fear of the dark, of tyranny or of what they do not know. They have food and shelter, and comforts galore. It is a time of relative peace. Something i'm sure none of us have experienced in full."

After a moment of silence, the man's once somber expression fades into a small smile as he looks at the other two spirits. "Well, enough of me being moody. I suppose this is why I came here in the first place. Always going off on tangents like that." He shakes his head at himself.

"So, I know it's been only a short time, but how are you liking your masters? Mine seems like they could be a real force for good, if steered correctly."

The crowds parted ways as the huge man passed through. He hummed quietly an old tune from his homeland, following where the three presences converged. It would seem this was a more.. civil meeting. Which, in broad day light, was a very wise decision on the three-- No. Four of them. The weathered hues noted the direction of the fourth servant but decided to deal with them later, as he had just come upon the bar the rest of them were in.

The tall man's massive bulk shadowed the light of the tavern as he entered. "Hrmmm.." Broch considered the three he saw. He bowed his head to the three and took his seat close by, dwarfing the small stool.

... But there was no way in hell he was getting his ass in a booth.

"I don't know if cleanly is the word I'd use," Ira remarked with a smirk. "But if you're referring to not making too much trouble for normies, I'm on board. I'm a big fan of people, as a general rule. Not a big fan of seeing them get hurt for no good reason."

He tilted his head towards Mag as he spoke, listening to his opinion on the world. He quirked an eyebrow and smiled at the end of his description, shrugging. "I dunno, I've had my fair share of peace-times. No world is ever totally at peace, but mine wasn't so different from this in those terms. More so in the details, and how things worked. Magic is weird here."

Pausing for the larger man's question about masters, he shrugged again by way of answer. "They seemed alright - were willing to agree to some extra terms with me to make sure we didn't have any, ah, disagreements. Can't say I know much about 'em, but hey, there was no evil cackling or megalomaniac speech when they summoned me, so at least it's not the worst it could be?"

As he was finishing speaking, he felt the last presence draw close enough that he guessed they were about to...

"Whoa," Ira's eyebrows shot up and he let out an impressed whistle at the giant of a man that hunched his way into the bar. He almost made Mag look scrawny by contrast. As Broch drew closer, he looked up at him with an amused golden gaze. "Well hello there, latecomer. I think you've managed to look more out of place than our Lady friend here, and she walked in wearing a suit of armour. I think your bicep is bigger than my head, and I can't decide if that's hot or terrifying... maybe both?"

Lady crossed her ankles as she listened. At least these two seemed under the opinion that those not involved in the war should be left alone. Though Mag remained quiet on the subject, the way he spoke was of someone who had been to her own world. The man was smart, though it seemed he was not without some code of honor. Her instinct from the first impression that these two were not the stolen spirit. It was further confirmed when Ira mentioned his own summoning.

"My master does not desire to harm the innocent," Lady replied, pouring herself another round, "Which is all I am able to say at the current moment. However, I do know there is another master in our midst that is willing to do so. I have already borne witness to their work."

She turned as the powerful presence opened the door to the tavern, and subsequently filled it with a set of broad shoulders. The man was quite large, and stuck out far worse than any three of them, made even more obvious when Ira so kindly pointed out that she had come marching in with a full set of armor on. This was a servant, but of a different sort from what she gathered by the strength of the mana rolling from him. "He does not appear warm," Lady said, raising her brow, "But I would suggest caution."

Reaching over the bar, Lady grabbed a class and slid it down to the servant. "If you would like to join us?"

It was comforting to at least know that the other two did not seem interested in harming civilians. Rider had been worried that he would have to both combat these people and defend civilians simultaneously, but it see,ed that for these two at least the pressure to do so was off. Of course, he would still keep an eye out for any dishonourable or cowardly tactics.

Magnan glanced towards the newcomer, surprised at the sight of them despite knowing exactly what had been approaching. Now there was a body he could respect. It told a tale of hardship and dedication, and perhaps even beat his old body in terms of sheer size. Idly he wondered if this being really was a human such as himself, to have such mass. Couldn't be a vampire, they were too lithe. Perhaps a descendent of an ogre?

Offering a simple nod to the newcomer, he watches him out of the corner of his... eye? With the illusion over him, it may seem that way to those outside. Spiritual sight was a bit weirder, like if his pupils were the size of his entire socket. It might've been confusing, had he not felt so naturally comfortable with it.

The old man raised a brow at the Lancer, but casually brushed off the comments. Of course he was out of place, he thought grumpily to himself. This clothing was not suited for a traveler of his stature.

To the lady, he offered a kindly smile, catching the glass with ease. "Thank ya kindly." He said, his burr thick. "I think I will come and join ye, if only for a couple o' drinks." He scooted down a few stools. However, at the protesting sound of the stool, he simply decided to lean against the bar. Seemed.. Safer.

"Right, suppose it be best I introduce myself." He said, downing the drink in a couple of gulps. "I am Broch Asvaldr. And I am the Ruler overseeing our little tournament." He said. "I already know o' you three, but I suppose if it makes it easier to talk to one another, lemme know wha' yer callin' yerselves."

Ira quirked an intrigued eyebrow. This was Ruler? He would have guessed Berserker, but he supposed that was just playing to stereotypes. There were plenty of lordly types across history who'd be more likely deemed a barbarian at a first glance. Still, appearances mattered. He ought at least have a fancy hat. "Ruler, huh? To what do we owe the honour? Somebody here already broken the rules, or are you just doing the rounds?" he asked. "It's 'Ira'," he added as an afterthought. "Just Ira. The titles can come later."

Glancing back across at Lady, he frowned. "So wait, someone's going around killing random people? For power, or for fun? Not that one's better than the other, per say, but..." he shook his head, grimacing. "Well, they're really not gonna be making any friends..."

Knowing that this was their Ruler servant piqued her interest. He had approached them and perhaps that meant he had something to say about the events of the night. She returned his smile and gave him a respectful nod. "A pleasure, Broch," she replied in kind, "I am known as Lady." He already knew that of course, but at least he had been polite enough to ask. It was a little uncomfortable knowing that he knew her true name. Not because the knowledge was power, or she distrusted the man to use that fact, but because she hadn't said her own name very often even in life.

At Ira's comment, her eyes flicked to the servant, any hint of mirth from them fading ."Both for power and for gratification, I believe. They were mages that were murdered quite violently and they have stolen Servant as well. I think in time, we will see more bystanders killed by the same hands if they are not discovered." Lady turned to Broch, and took a quiet sip of her drink. She had the fleeting wish of meeting these three under more pleasant circumstances, but fate had lent them this strange meeting of calm before the storm instead. " Is this why you have sought us out, Ruler?"

"Mag." Rider replies simply, signalling for the bartender to hit him up with another bottle as he shifted his bulk to look at the Ruler. Normally he felt he would have had a problem with a being that was so clearly more powerful than himself alone, and granted he felt a spark of irritation with the thought, but he quelled it quickly. This Ruler was not of his world, and if the grail appointed him as such he must be fair.

Making sure his 'body' did not interrupt Lady's view, he carefully watches the Ruler whilst the other two speak. He had said he already knew them, which would mean he was aware of Rider's true form. That could be troubling if this man was the talkative type.

Listening to Lady as she spoke, he found himself awaiting an answer. It would make sense, something such as a stolen servant and murdered participants by a third party would certainly be enough to drag a ruler down from where they had been watching.

Perhaps it went without saying that Presence Concealment was a useful skill. Made him glad that he was summoned as an Assassin. Even if it came with an equal list of pros and cons.

The Servant barely had any time to think of anything to say before his Master suddenly took off again, first talking about engaging in reconnaissance rather than combat. A sound plan, of course (before providing him with talismans, a gesture he found somewhat juvenile in all honesty, as though he were being handed fire crackers), and being spoken to without stop. Truly, an eccentric Master he had landed himself upon, though whether or not it was a good thing remained to be seen.

As the Servant remained hidden, sitting in an obscured location as he spied upon the presences he sensed, the bespectacled man couldn't help but muse a bit on the situation he found himself in. Assassin, though fancying himself a competent fighter (he'd be a rather poor Heroic Spirit if he couldn't at least hold his own against another Servant), specialized in more covert operations. It was especially as an Assassin that he could not approach those whom he was eavesdropping upon. Even if he to go up against just one Servant with both of them equally not knowing anything about each other, Assassin was crippled with the fundamental disadvantage that combat was simply out of his element by comparison. And that was just to emphasize talking about one Servant.

And yet, here they were, plain as day. Four presences that were, without a doubt, abnormal. Not counting himself, of course. There wasn't much telling who was who though, except for the old man who classified himself as "Ruler." Quite a presumptuous title; Assassin wondered what need there was for such a spirit in this exchange. Suspicion of foul play? Why, he'd never think of such a thing. Not Assassin, no.

It was an interesting experience, to say the least, to follow their conversations. He couldn't fathom the reasoning behind the Servants giving their true names, assuming they weren't aliases or anything of the sort, but he kept in mind the names anyhow. Mag. Ira. Lady. Such curious existences. "Titles can come later," eh? Assassin respectfully disagreed. If he weren't better at maintaining his composure, he might have had a harder time stifling a chuckle, but alas, here he was. So, like a hawk or a gargoyle, he simply remained where he was, silently eavesdropping on the group make their exchanges to see if he could learn more to report to his Master.

A Master going around murdering innocents on a whim? What a pain, Assassin thought to himself with an air of irritation as he rested his head against his arms in his hiding spot. He didn't know what to make of it, but it was quite curious. Was the phenomena cause enough, he wondered, to summon a Ruler? Must have been, if he's right there, but damn. He could only hope it wasn't his own dear Master behind it all. He didn't want to be suspicious of Daichi so easily, but with a man focused on such secrecy, well... He owed it to himself to give it at least a passing thought, right?

Of course.

"Yer dun even know the 'alf of it, Ira." He grumbled softly. "I came 'ere to make sure ye three were actual contenders." He said ordering another drink from the bartender. He eyed the mug that he was given, giving a disapproving glare at the size, or rather lack there of. Still, he sighed and chugged it all the same. "Wha' is this rubbish.." He grumbled. "Ya call this a drink?!" The bartender blinked, then a wide grin spread across his face. "I have something in the back that's a bit more experimental, sir, if you don't mind giving it a try." He offered. "Its go' ta be better than this.." The old man grumbled. The bartender nodded and rushed to the back, presumingly heading to gather offered brew.

Ruler turned back to the others. "I see all three of yer are genuine contenders, so I'll explain wha's 'appened. Before the war actually begun, I was tasked by the Grail itself to spread yer artifacts in this world, to 'ave you 'ave a chance to be summoned an' the like. There were more than just the seven that were picked, ya see. So I spread 'em all out, 'id them well. The magus chosen by the Grail were already ready to make the summons a couple o' days ahead of time. All was goin' accordin' to the Grail's design of this war."

He wrinkled his nose slightly. "Then I got a letter with the family crest of one o' the Reinsen clan.. Claimed 'e was Thomas Reinsen an' 'ad questions about the war. So, as its my duty, I went to the location designated in the letter." He rubbed his nose sheepishly. "Turns out, 'e wasn't Thomas. 'is name is Max Foster. An' the lil'shit was rather offended for not bein' chosen by the Grail. 'ad set up a trap, ya see. When I refused to grant 'im seals to compete, 'e trapped me and stole three o' mine." Fire flickered in the old man's eyes. "'e's already summoned his servant. I know it. I just can't find 'em. So I'm lookin' for the contenders to warn 'em. An' to give the order to kill on sight or inform me if ye can o' their location. I dunno what servant 'e's pulled. But I fear pullin' the seals from me, 'e's got an 'ell of an advantage."

Thomas Reinsen? Ira's expression sharpened momentarily at the mention of his master's name, before he schooled it. It was annoying enough that Thomas' identity had been revealed to the others, he didn't need to let on that they were paired together too. He let the silence hang for a few moments after Ruler's explanation of the situation before he broke it with a whistle, taking a sip of his drink and tilting his head back thoughtfully. "A wildcard, huh?" he mused aloud. "Breaking the rules before the war even started, and pissing off the man in charge? This guy must either be pretty crazy or pretty confident... or have something worth painting a target on his head for."

There was an almost appreciative tone to Ira's words as he contemplated the situation. Sure, maybe the guy was just a nutjob or an arrogant ass, but either way, he was very ambitious. And that was something he'd always admired in humans. "I'll be honest, I'm kind of impressed. Must have taken balls of steel to confront a heroic spirit - Ruler, at that - without one of his own to protect him." Ira cast Broch a teasing grin, humming thoughtfully. "Seems kind of a shame to gang up on him after all that hard work. Or is he the one going around murdering people? You might persuade me if you convince me he's too much of a bastard to deserve a fair fight..."

He shrugged, then, taking another swig of his drink. "Otherwise, who knows? Must be hard to narrow the whole of humanity down to just seven people that deserve a shot at a wish. Humanity's always been good at clawing their way past the rules when it matters most. If his intent is good, I don't know if I can condemn him for pulling out all the stops."

Of course, either way, he'd still fight him as and when it was time to win... and to get back at him for stealing his master's name. But the idea of a seven-vs-one dogpile? There wasn't any pride to be found in that.

Lady finished off her second drink and reached for the bottle to pour herself a third. Alcohol had never had a terrible affect on her, which was just as well considering the amount of time she spent in camps. The glass tinked against the bottle, accenting Ruler's words. With a full glass, she sat back and half listened to what Ira replied.

This was a war and the first rule of war, was that for some, there were no rules. She had to admire this Max for his bravery in the face of Ruler on a personal level...for following what he wanted...but...

"What has happened is done. He has a servant and command seals, welcomed by the grail or not and he will fall like any other obstacle," she replied, "I should not like to kill him, but if he is also the one who has stolen the servant and murdered those mages, I am honor bound to meet justice on him."

Glancing at her two counter parts she held up her glass and swallowed down the entire contents in one go. With a satisfied sigh, she put the cup down, a small smile curling to her lips. "That being said, this should make for quite an interesting and dynamic battle, so long as the innocent are not harmed. One even Ares would be envious of."

The glass in Rider's hand shattered after he heard what Ruler had to say. Waving away the bartender, he smiles apologetically to the others as he cleaned up the fragments, the glass unable to even cut his 'skin' as he plucks it from the wooden counter and deposits it into the nearest bin, wipingnhisnhands clean of the fragments.

During this his mind is nothing like the semi-calm facade he put forwards. He raged and seethed at the dihonest, cowardly actions and at what it could mean. Unlike what many thought, there were rules to war. Perhaps not spoken ones, but they were acknowledged by all due to the repercussions that would no doubt affect them. If someone was crazy enough to take on a being such as ruler and steal seals in a childish effort to have their greed satisfied, it meant that there was very little they wouldn't resort to. Visions of many an adversary just like that flashed through his mind, making it a near monumental task to restrain the anger.

Deciding he had had enough, that the light swim of his vision was all he was going to get, he waves off the bartender and makes sure to keep his shield (disguised as a book) away from the countertop for fear of being unable to stop it from doing damage as he was. "If I meet this... Max," he mutters darkly, "I will do everything in my power to keep him from his goal. Anyone crazy enough to risk such a thing is a threat to many."

Ruler's expression matched Rider's dark tone. "Aye. And this 'un is a danger. 'e plans on ridding the world of magic..." He said, lowering his tone so that his companions could hear. "Tha' is, if he can get 'is 'ands on the prize. By that very definition, tha' wish is potentially world endin'. 'e's crazy, than 'un. An' 'e poses a threat to not only this war, but everyone in this world and 'e plans to carry out 'is mission, no matter what rules 'e breaks or who 'e kills in the mean time.. No matter 'ow you see his deeds, bein' bold or foolish.. I cannot in good nature allow 'im to reach the Grail." He frowned at Lancer and Saber.

"Inform yer masters of our situation. Tha' is an order."

The bar tender returned with the promised beer, in a much more 'moderately' sized mug. He happily handed the massive man the mug and waited for inspection. Ruler swirled it, eyeing it suspiciously. He sniffed it once before taking a massive gulp. He only gave a disapproving stare at the mug. "Aye. Better than yer other swill, bu' I'm still lackin' 'airs on me chest. Ah well."

The poor Bartender looked as though he'd been kicked in the gut.

Ruler slowly stood. "If ya three 'ave anything else to say, now's the time to say it. Gonna continue my search, if not."

"I've nothing to ask. I'll now make my exit." Rider says as he straightens and leaves his seat, standing up to face the other three. "Thank you for the information Ruler. I will inform you if I come across any more information." He says to the judge of the war, nodding in thanks before turning to the other two.

"I have not known you two for long at all, but I thank you for your company and will see you either here again or upon the battlefield. Goodbye Lady. Ira." He says simply, giving a small bow to the both of them before making his way out of the bar, taking care with the heavy door as a small bell chimed and making his way down the high street, leaving the presences behind.

Idly he wondered if he should call Revenant to him, but eventually ended up figuring that he would need the time it took to walk back to their base to cool off and figure out what he was going to say to his Master. This meeting had certainly been productive, and while he hadn't exactly fished for details he wouldn't keep anything he learnt from Jannik. Every scrap of information was useful.

Making his way down the street, he turns into a small alley he had seen on the way and began to make his way back, stopping only for a few minutes to pay for a few pies and a large bag of dogfood. With those in hand, he began to make his way back.

" 'e plans on ridding the world of magic..."
Lady's eyes snapped up to look at Broch's weathered face. That was information worth mentioning from the beginning and he was just now telling them.A good soldier would have been out with that from the start when giving a report. She gripped her glass tightly and took in a deep breath. This was not home, and these were not her men. Should this rogue win, his actions would have repercussions that would cost the lives of millions. That fact alone was sobering enough to make her stomach turn.

Mag took his leave, snapping her out of her thoughts, and she returned his gesture with a respectful nod of her own. "The company was most excellent, I should hope to have it again sometime. Good day, and good luck to you, Mag."

Once the large spirit was gone, Lady slid from her stool and smoothed her skirt, more out of habit than true need. It was short enough that it didn't wrinkle like the curtain-like dresses she once wore on occasion. Giving Ruler a bow, she met his eyes. "That is a problem of a different sort. The interloper is not simply competing for a wish but for the destruction of many lives and I cannot abide by this. I will inform my master."

Her reply given, she straightened, and looked to Ira. "Thank you for your company this afternoon as well, Ira. I look forward to meeting you again as well. I would say good luck...but it appears you have already stumbled upon your own brand of it," Lady chuckled as she noted his two cohorts, "So I will simply say, good day."

With a few bills tossed on the counter, Lady was across the bar and out of the door in 4 strides, the dress having changed to jeans, boots, and a t-shirt on the way. The streets were heavily trafficked now, which meant good cover for anyone watching, even if they could feel her presence. She would make her way back to her Mistress, taking a different route than the first time and making a few stops on the way. There was a temptation to return to Valerie's former home to investigate further, but with this madman on the loose, she didn't dare venture to so far from her mage. Instead, she thought the woman would probably be hungry when she woke.

Following her nose, Lady stopped outside of a strange looking restaurant with demon looking man on the sign. What man would look so strangely sinister when such good smelling food was being made at his establishment? Sighing, she stepped inside and walked up to the counter. "Welcome to Sanders' Spot, may I take your order?"

"I will have two of your finest fried chickens." Lady could only hope Valerie enjoyed this sort of food.

The woman behind the counter giggled, as if she said something outlandish, but filled the order quickly, and then handed Lady a large box full of chicken. "Aye, that will do."

Box in hand, she made her way back to the hotel, taking yet another route. Perhaps Valerie would be awake, and her mind a bit clearer from the much needed rest.

Ira's eyebrows shot up as Ruler revealed the renegade's wish, giving the larger man a disbelieving stare. "Jeez, okay," he murmured, shaking his head. "I can see how that would be a problem." Ending magic in the world? The repercussions of that were mind-boggling. Not least the fact that the world required it to exist. Maybe he didn't know? Or maybe he was that much of a maniac. He looked over at Mag as the man declared his abrupt departure, and raised his glass to the other man with a grin. "See ya around, Mag. Hopefully we get to chat again sometime before shit gets real."

With him gone, Ira turned his attention back to Lady and Ruler. It seemed their little meet-up was over. Shame. He had a feeling moments like this would be hard to come by over the coming days. "Thank you, Lady," he replied to the knightly woman with an amused smirk at her comment on his companions, "for putting up with me. If you ever feel like it again, I'm sure fate'll be kind enough to throw us a bone sometime. Until then, good day to you too."

That left just him and Broch. Ira cast Ruler a contemplative glance. "So, this Max guy and his servant. What sort of advantage are we talking? And what's the guy look like, so I know him when I see him?"

Back