Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived The Queensway

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
The Queensway is the large, branching main road out of Amarathia City that cuts through much of the more civilised regions of Amarathia. Regularly patrolled by the Amarathian military and watched over by the windriders, the road provides a relatively safe route of travel to many of the nation's towns. The Queensway's limits are largely (albeit informally) considered the limits of 'civilised' Amarathia. Those villages and towns beyond its reach are often referred to as frontier towns, and travel to and from them is wrought with much more danger.

The sun was low in the sky by the time Val and the rest of his party arrived at their first stop, the town of Andoril. One of the closest towns to the capital, it was a prosperous settlement with high walls hailing from its earlier years, when the lands around it had been far from safe. Whilst a far cry from the size of the capital, it was still of considerable scale, and the gates stood tall as they passed through from the open road into its streets. The town's design spoke of lessons learned in the fall, and was clearly one intended to be able to weather assault. The main streets wove a relatively convoluted pattern up the side of a ridge, leading to a large keep that overlooked the town proper, wherein a military garrison was posted.

Andoril boasted a fair amount of trade with the nearby villages and farms that fell under its garrison's protective influence, as well as with the capital, and was a regular enough stopping point for travellers and traders on their way to the city that its inns thrived in abundance. It also played host to a small magical institute - Venatari Hall - providing both education and services to the populace.

Those familiar with Amarathia's game of houses would also be aware that Andoril was largely considered the domain of Houses Solendra and Vardis, with both families having large estates within the town's walls, although Nasazura, Valdasine and Alumaine also had townhouses in the upper districts, and the influence of all the others could likely be found somewhere.

Val led the group through town until they reached a moderately sized inn along the main street - the Dawn's Kiss. There he drew his horse to a halt and turned to face the others. "Alright, here's where we'll be stopping for the night," he said. "I know the landlord here, and he'll give us a good meal and good beds - and for a good rate at that. Aside from being sure to be back here for dawn again, feel free to take the opportunity to explore, if you'd like. Or to get to know one another a bit better! I find it's always worthwhile to know who's fighting alongside you. Isaiyl should already be here, I think."

The hunter slung himself off of his horse, stretching out his legs for a moment before turning to offer Abel a hand down before the star panicked from being left alone in the saddle.

Abel had beel looking at the houses and streets as they went through the town, smiling softly. It was a really nice place, they liked it. The star remembered the place, since they had been in the town before, during a couple of different trips, with different destinies. Stories that would have to wait to be told.

When Val suddenly got off the horse, they immediately followed him with their eyes to make sure he wasn't just going to leave them there. But of course he wasn't going to, Val was too nice for that!.
Smiling, Abel accepted Vals hand to get off the horse, holding his hand and sliding off of it.
"Thank you very much! " the star said, how did humans express gratitude again?... uh...
Ah!, yes!. Abel leaned towards Val and kissed his cheek before giving him a smile and turning to pet the horse. They knew how to draw horses but not how to ride... aw, they would have to learn some time.

Val blinked, taken aback by the gesture, and left stunned for a brief moment before he recovered himself and gave a small laugh. "I think we're going to have to have a talk about the er, connotations of certain affectionate gestures in general society later, Abel," he said, grinning and shaking his head. "But you're ah, welcome, nonetheless."

As he entered the city, Kian scanned the city's buildings, looking over houses and market stalls while also noting that citizens and guards throughout the city. He quietly squirmed before finding the smithery of the town. His mind began to wander at the prospect of just what he could make in the blacksmith's. His face grew in disappointment for a moment when he recalled that they were to travel light.

Nodding absently at Val, Kian's horse stopped beside them before he dismounted, carrying his pack with him. Maybe there would be another time for smithing, perhaps after this whole adventure finished...

Last edited:
Abel frowned, did they do something wrong?, aw no... did they though?.

The star remained quiet for a couple of minutes before turning to face Val once again " Why? Did I do something wrong??, I thought kisses were alright to. express gratitude" they said, looking quite concerned and having folded their arms.

Luckily, Val didn't seem angry at all, more like amused, what nade Abel feel a little embarrased... and sheepish " Sorry, what... what did I do wrong?? " they asked once again, not really giving Val time to answer the first time they had asked.

Val chuckled again, shaking his head. "Ahh, let's head inside, I'll explain over a drink."

Taking a moment to leave Soris in the care of the stable-hand, Val gestured for Abel to follow him into the inn. The interior was rustic and simple, and relatively busy, but Val managed to find them a free table to the edge of the room without too much trouble. Taking a seat, he whistled bemusedly to himself. He certainly hadn't been expecting to be having to give this sort of explanation as part of the job. But then, it wasn't every day that you ran into an ancient star-being with the apparent naivety of a child. "Alright," he said, once they were seated and he'd ordered himself a drink. "So. Kisses. I'll keep this brief, but in most cultures kisses are seen as a sign of affection beyond friendly acquaintances. It's quite a er, personal gesture. That and er, snuggling. Whilst a kiss on the cheek is appropriate in some circles as gratitude - mostly the nobility, in my experience - most would see it as an invasion of personal space. Or assign ah ... romantic implications to it."

He ran a hand through his hair, laughing at the absurdity of the conversation. "Honestly, I'm not the best person to be giving this explanation. I spent more time travelling with little in the way of company than I do in civilisation. But I figured I'd best give you the gist of the matter before you tried the same with some burly, irritable dock worker and got a punch in the jaw for your trouble."

Abel followed Val inside the inn, looking around with curiosity and sitting down at the table with him.

The star seemed scandalised to say the least. " oh my god... I'm so sorry!, I hadn't... I'm very sorry. " They said.
"I didn't know, I have kissed people before but they didn't mind at all, sorry... " the star sighed again. " I-I won't do it ever again, I'm very sorry. "

Abel fidgeted with their hands, they wanted to take their gloves off, but in public... nu uh, it wouldn't be possible. " And uhh... thank you for telling me, I wouldn't want to get hit by someone because of such a silly thing, I guess..."

"Get hit because of what silly thing?"

Isaiyl had walked up as the group neared a table. He had been lost among a few other travelers, searching for word of the road ahead. He sat himself down at the table among them, hefting a drink. "Forgive me for not taking the first leg of the trip with you."

Abel looked at Isayl, blushing in embarrassment. "... err... giving someone a kiss to say thank you, apparently I could get hit for doing that. " they answered, looking away from both of the men at the table.

Amma gave her horse to the stablehand and followed Val and Abel quietly into the inn, taking a seat behind them. She was becoming quite exhausted from all the socializing, but she had nowhere else to go and nothing else to do. She smiled bemusedly as she watched Val awkwardly attempt to explain the implications of kissing to the young star, who blushed and stammered in embarrassment. The elf joined them as well, and she watched him, head tipped slightly to the side, for a minute before taking out her massive book and pen. She flipped to a page already half filled with runes and chewed her lip thoughtfully, scrawling a calculation in the corner and then adding a line to a particularly complex figure. She fingered the stones in her pocket absentmindedly, then pulled out a small ruby and set it on the table. Using the pen she copied the rune from the book onto the stone in ink, then blew on it and focused again on the book, adding another line of text and a quick sketch. She lifted her left hand to tuck a few stray braids behind her ear.

"Val," she said, still frowning at her book in concentration, "when were you hoping to do that skill demonstration?"

Kian followed them in with his pack slung over a shoulder while fiddling with small scraps of metal, occasionally wincing from the sharp edges. He didn't quite think it through when he brought along some raw metals for forging, who said there would be time for creating a sword when there was work to be done? He sighed internally before tossing the metal scraps away once he heard the mention of showcasing.
"Wait, so... this stop can be used for training and stuff?"

Last edited:
Val let out a good natured laugh at Abel. "It's no matter. I'm not bothered, but others might be. I simply wouldn't want to see you come to harm for not knowing, aye?" He turned then to Isaiyl, offering the windrider a grin. "Consider yourself forgiven. This close to the city we've little chance of trouble, so you can make up for it once we get closer to Eskandor."

Finally, he turned to address Amma's and Kian's question. "We've some time this evening, albeit not much light left, if it suits. Or else we can like as not find an opportunity on the road tomorrow.""

The arrival of the group of travelers hadn't gone unnoticed by a man shuffling a deck of cards at a largely vacant table nearby. The man was Kerson, a dark-skinned elf. His only slightly tapered ears betrayed his mixed heritage but his nimble fingers spoke of his elven finesse.

At his back stood Castala, who seemed quite the temptress of an elf from the look of her. With her vibrant red locks, sensual green eyes, and low cut blouse to show off her more than ample curves, there was little left to the imagination of onlookers. Like Kerson she sported her elven heritage with distinguished ears and almond shaped eyes, but her skin held the golden vibrancy of a fairer skinned ancestry. She was currently resting upon his shoulder, her fingertips trailing absentmindedly beneath the collar of his shirt as she too turned her attention to the new arrivals.

"Castala, Love, wouldn't you see if our fellow travlers might be up for a hand or two?" he inquired to her. "This evening is proving most... uneventful."

"Why, I thought you would never ask," Castala whispered into his ear as she stood up straight.

"Gentleman, ladies," she purred to the group as she approached them before they had even found seating within the tavern. "An invitation," she explained as she held an ace of spades card outstretched between her two fingers. "From both of us," she added with a wink.

At her back, Kerson tipped his broad-brimmed black hat towards them in greeting from his seat at his table.

At even a precursory glance it was clear that the man had the look of a traveler to him. Well worn boots, travel worn jacket tossed in a chair at his side, and more than a few scars marring his ebony skin.

Abel blinked, looking towards the strangers. An invitation... to what?. A game of cards?, Abel didn't really know many games, and they had heard people usually betted things...

The woman was quite beautiful, they had to admit, but so was the man!. Mm... still they didn't inspire Abel much trust for whatever reason, therefore, the young star looked towards Val, their leader, searching for a signal about what to do about the invitation. They also looked towards the others, to see their reactions while fiddling with the loose end of his scarf.

A little ale spilled out from Isaiyl's nose and his shoulders bobbed gently. His lips slipped between his teeth as he attempted not to smile. "That is... amusing," he said to Abel. "Mildly amusing."

Before he could engage further in the conversation, his eyes found the woman sauntering towards them. It was to no surprise that his eyes lingered on her and not the card once it was presented. It was difficult to discern whether his interest was suspicion or something less pure: it seemed a mix of both.

Isaiyl looked to Val. The Windrider had calmed down since the previous day, especially after flying with Rean. The anxious elf they had met had melted away: he knew they weren't going to get to their destination any faster if he was panicked over rumors. Keeping his mind off of it was a good idea, and cards would be a good start.

"Shall we?"

Tzaan was not the biggest fan of large crowds of people, and when the others announced their intentions of entering the inn, he had grown wary. The more people, the larger the chance one of them was dangerous, and knew the sort of magic that could seriously harm Tzaan.

He kept to the back of the group when they walked into the establishment, not wanting to garner any attention, and looked around, at the people, the decor, and the elf who had joined their group. He was trying to save some relative, a motivation unknown to the demon. The way he looked at the woman was taken into account, and in the back of his mind, the djinn laughed: at least he could be assured that even this bring was not completely pure.

However, Tzaan could hardly claim such a title for himself: the card that was offered was of great interest. He had always had a fondness for games of any sort, and this was no different. He reached out with one hand, and took the card with two fingers, flipping it over his hand. Wordlessly, he put it down on the table, and looked at the elf in the corner, head tilted in thought. Thenjoy he broke off from the others, taking a seat at the elf's table.

"What are the rules?" he asked, his bluntness showing through.

Amma's lip curled in distaste as she watched the elf's eyes rake over the woman offering the card. She shook her head quickly and looked back down at her book. "I'll pass." She said, bluntly. She had no wish to squander money on a meaningless game, especially money that could be used to purchase much more important things, like rare herbs for healing or stones for charms.

Val gave Castala an appraising look as she walked over, raising an eyebrow at the invitation. She and her companion looked like the sorts that would happily fleece the group for everything they were worth, but thankfully for Val, that wasn't a particularly large number right now. Maybe that wasn't exactly something to be thankful for, but it certainly limited his potential losses. He gave a grin as Abel and Isaiyl looked at him for guidance, and shrugged.

"Well, I don't see why not. We've plenty time to pass, and all, before we ought to retire." The hunter nodded and got to his feet, stepping across to the table she'd indicated. If nothing else, it was always interesting to hear another traveller's tales. Cards were as much an excuse to make talk as they were an exercise in themselves. "I fear we've not all got much in terms of spare coin to wager, but I can go a few rounds without breaking the bank. What's your game, friends?"

Kian watched some of his other partners approach the game table, noting Amma's refusal. He toured around the inn for a few minutes, taking in the bar and doorways to the rooms. Humming to himself, he approached the innkeeper, paying for his room before entering it and setting his belongs down on the bed. Whilst the others played their games, Kian excused himself from the building, escaping into the nearby fields to experiment with his techniques.

He reached down, feeling the earth before concentrating for a moment. As if moving his own arm, he felt the ground shifting restlessly as he willed it to deform. His desire was left unanswered until his gaze looked upwards. Before him, there sat a large formation of mud collapsed, perhaps it was meant to grasp the target, keeping whoever rooted to the ground. Glancing at his dirt covered hands, a thought crossed his mind: Perhaps it has to do with something else?... I guess I am feeling pretty lame right now. Just... feelingless.

Back