Ame Damnee The Recreational Hall

Rayen Ales
Library

Rayen glanced over at the djinn, seemingly judgingly for a moment before looking forward. Scratching his head, "Djinn huh? Cool cool... I don't really care about Seelie or Unseelie... never have, never will. I'm Rayen... Ales, but I'm not really much of a mage... you just tend to pick up things when you travel around Oblitus for most of your life." He quietly bit his lip before continuing, "Not... most actually, more like my entire life, since I think thirteen?... I can't remember sometimes. Nearly 300 years now... or was it 400? Man, I'm old..." Audibly sighing, he went quiet, it hurt to share but it was relieving to have another soul know at least a fragment of his story. Traveling through the stranger portions of Oblitus had had a profound effect on him and his physiology, sometimes he wondered if he had found the fountain of youth somewhere in the vast lands and had never truly realized it. He was certainly in better shape than the other 400-year-olds back in the Faery lands, that much was obvious...

"I think last time I heard my name mentioned, they called me "The Shadow of Oblitus"?" Making air quotes, he scoffed quietly, feeling awkward once again. Two times a day is torture, how do these people stand to be near others?

Allanah Frey
Recreational Hall, Library

The girl merely shrugged at his response on the whole Seelie/Unseelie thing. Her opinion used to be like his, but through experience she had learned that the two kinds of faeries are as different as night and day, she had learned it the hard way. To her it seems significant to make a distinction between the two. She listened to him speak, relaying a portion of himself and his experiences, but when she heard the title , the girl looked like a deer caught in headlights, as she stared at him with wide eyes. "N-No way... You're the... Shadow of Oblitus?" a big smile formed on her face. "That's amazing! I only ever heard about you! You see, I was born and raised in Oblitus, but even now it still scares me a little. You see, I just moved in here in Abaddon a few years back, traveled by myself. Oblitus is... scary." she chuckled nervously with a sheepish smile.

She led him towards another flight of stairs, through a corridor and into a locked room. She took out her keys and unlocked it, the Restricted Section of the Library, and as she was opening the door, she heard a soft scoff from him, making her feel a little awkward as well. Maybe I've been a little too talkative? She took a log book from the counter and handed it to him along with a pen, which happens to be the quill has given back to her, which made her, once again, slightly smile. Where is he now, she wondered. He did say that he'll probably come back... it was something to look forward to.

"Come in and sign here for a moment" she told Rayen, before motioning to the shelves in the room. "We should have books about faeries and magic and stuff that may be related to Alma, so knock yourself out."

Rayen Ales
Library

Signing the logbook, he quietly handed it back to her before marveling at the restricted books and their titles. Everywhere, there were at least three books that caught his attention. In slight awe, he nearly whispered out, "Thank you," his feet soon carried him towards the shelves, staring quietly at each book before continuing to the next. His senses tingled with the raw amount of knowledge contained in the very room he stood in, awakening a deep-seated craving for it to be absorbed through his eyes... Power was everything in a world like this, yet there would always be another to challenge. Automatically grasping a small book from within the shelves, he quickly blinked himself out of his stupor before registering the book held before him. Frowning slightly, he glared at the book's covers, finding no name nor markings; the leather was barren and rugged.

Sweeping through the pages, occasionally picking up scraps of information, he felt an odd sense of déjà vu as he occasionally spotted familiar names. Lacking the patience, he continued until his fingers halted on a page in the back half of the book. His eyes quickly sped through the lines, spotting the beginning mentions of the ancient magician. Furiously, his fingers racked through the pages as he read deeper and deeper into the book, brows twitching in intensity, picking up more and more information on certain other characters. Suddenly shutting the book gently, he replaced the book on the shelf before glancing around at the other tomes, oddly finding them to be much duller than before... Sated, he returned to the librarian; less than 5 minutes had passed since he signed the logbook. Odd, it felt like he had lived an entire lifetime searching through the book's detailed history. With a light grin, he reached his hand out for a handshake, "Thank you so much for helping me find this."

Allanah Frey

Allanah blinked, looking rather confused as he came back to her again after merely flipping through a single book. She glanced at its place in the shelf, before looking back at him. "Aren't you going to borrow it? Well, I could arrange that for you if you'd like." she pulled a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "But... if you already found what you needed..." she took his hands eagerly in a handshake. "I'm glad to hear that I was able to help. Please come back anytime." she said with a big, cheerful smile.

She glanced at the clock in the far corner, pondering. Finally, she gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm afraid I'll have to leave you for now. My shift is almost over, and I need to do some stuff before I leave for home. Is there anything else I could help you with before I go?"

Rayen Ales
Leaving the Library

Rayen simply shook his head, "I've already read through it, can't survive in Oblitus unless you know every nook and cranny." Tapping his head, he continued, "I'll remember it all... at least the general idea, hopefully." Glancing around the room, he continued out of the room, muttering under his breath for a moment before turning around to face the librarian again, "Nothing really comes to mind... Thanks for the help, hopefully, I'll see you around and all. I'll be in town for at least the next few days." Departing from the building, he gave a quiet wave before disappearing out the door.

Stepping out onto the streets, he frowned slightly before setting off, searching. Xena, Zaraa, Maric... who else would there be?...

Allanah Frey

The girl nodded as she watched him go, feeling a little sad now that her shift has ended. While being at work may not be enjoyable for most people, she kind of liked staying in the library. It keeps her occupied. After all, the worst of her distress comes when she's alone. Once Rayen was gone, she went out of the room and locked it, humming to herself as she went to the office to sign out. She was off and ready to go, when she heard it. In her head... like a mind link. Someone, out there is reaching out---

Al... Allanah paused as her eyes widened. No, no way... Al...why are you doing this to me?

Her lips quivered, but she didn't reply. She didn't
dare reply.

Allanah... please... let me go. It was a plea.

She bit her lip as she stood her ground, her red eyes filling with disgust and anger. And for a moment, she did not look quite like her usual self, her expression so consumed with dark emotions--- sadness, guilt, rage, regret--- that it was almost as if she was somebody else entirely. She took a deep breath and replied, with a hard and unshakable resolve.
Over my dead body.

Silence. No response. Sighing, Allanah gathered her stuff and started on her way home.

Mina - Recreation Hall - Library
Mina stepped into the library with Errol behind her, her eyes already beginning to scan where she might find the books she would need to decode the note. History or languages, one of the two. It had been a while since she'd come into the library. Most of the situations she dealt with tended to require more street knowledge than book knowledge, so it was a strange, but exhilarating feeling to return to the thing she once loved so much. She hadn't practiced decoding anything since... Well, since before she left New Eden. When they were kids, she would always create codes and riddles and try to make Micah solve them; he hated it. Never could figure them out without her leading him by the hand the entire way.

Mina felt her heart sink a little at the memory. Focus, Mina. Library. Books. Note. She shook her head, leaving the thoughts behind.

Mina paced in front of a few of the shelves, skimming for anything that might help. "It's been a while since I've been in here," she muttered.

@Revelree

Errol
Recreation Hall- Library

Errol hesitated for a moment, before walking into the library. He was awed. So many books, all in this enormous building. Xena's shelves and shelves of books in her study was nothing compared to this place. Despite liking books, it was actually the first time he had stepped inside this place. It was only recently under Xena's tutelage that he had learned to read, and maybe he felt a little intimidated walking into this place. With his work keeping Xena and the Sanctuary in check he didn't have much time to spare for recreation, but since he was little, he had always been fascinated with this library, wondering if at one point he'd ever be allowed in...

It was a strange feeling.

"It's been a while since I've been in here," Mina muttered.

Errol's train of thoughts were halted as he looked over at her, and then glanced over at the shelves. "This... is actually the first time I've been in here." he confessed, as he ran a finger through the spines of the books, helping her in her task. "When I was younger, books were a luxury to me. It still is." He pulled one out the shelves and opened it carefully, skimming through the pages.

Mina - Library
Mina looked over at Errol and blinked. What? For a brief second, her eyes flashed with pity. "Why?" she asked softly, not taking her eyes off him.

She wanted to smack herself a second later for asking such an insensitive question. He probably grew up in Abaddon, which was a notoriously poor environment for youths. Of course he wasn't used to books, stupid. Slightly embarressed, she turned back to the shelves again, though she was admittedly less focused than she had been earlier.

Errol
Recreation Hall- Library

Why? Errol thought of her question absentmindedly, not really paying much attention, but his eyes softened as he remembered himself as a child, in his previous master's study, standing by his side, glancing at the books on his shelves... it was just a simple yearning back then. "I wasn't allowed to." he murmured, almost to himself, but it was then that he was suddenly brought to the present, cleared his throat, and then placed the books back in it's proper shelf.

He glanced over at another aisle, remarking, trying to change the subject. "I think there should be more language related books over there. We should go take a look."

Mina - Library
Mina only felt more embarrassed when she saw Errol's reaction to her stupid question. She was relieved when he changed the subject.

"Um, yeah. Yes. Books," she said awkwardly before scurrying off in the direction he'd pointed out. In front of the shelves, Mina focused intently on her task before she abruptly whipped a book off the shelf, flipped through its pages, then shoved it back onto the shelf. She repeateded the process a few times, not looking at Errol until her eyes suddenly lit up. "Here, hold this," she said, thrusting the book into his arms before going back to the shelves again.

Errol
Recreation Hall- Library

Errol did as he was told as he watched her go back to the shelves once more. He idly wondered if she'd found something noteworthy. At least, the way her eyes lit up seemed to indicate that she did.

"Well? Did you find anything?" he asked, as he took the note from his pocket and stared at it again. "This language seemed to be pretty ancient, though. I wonder..." he trailed off. "Try to find something that may be connected to the era before Abaddon and New Eden. Way back in the time of chaos---"

Suddenly he felt an ominous aura, coming from somewhere outside. A strange, unsettling feeling. Somewhere in his pocket, he could hear a mechanical ticking. He took out the only other thing in there, a pocket watch, and saw to his amazement that the hands had been spinning like crazy. "What the hell..." he murmured.

Last edited:
Mina - Library
Mina suddenly felt a strange feeling creep over her; something dark and angry. But part of her knew that it wasn't coming from her. She shuddered slightly and looked over at Errol to see him examining his pocket watch.

"That was... odd," she commented lightly.

One might think after living in Abaddon for five years, Mina would have gotten used to strange, supernatural events occurring. She hadn't, and every time something like this happened it left her feeling... Small. She hated it.

Errol
Recreation Hall- Library

Errol had lived in Abaddon all his life, it was not unusual to have these strange occurrences, but the animosity of the aura reminded him of something: the feeling he had when Wroth had gone berserk on him. It made him worry a little for Xena's safety. But then again, Maric is there. She should be alright. If the incubus failed such a simple task as to protect her, his head will roll.

Once the tremor has passed, Errol made a sigh, putting the pocket watch back in his pocket. "I wonder what the hell is happening now." he murmured, as he glanced at Mina, who seemed to be quite unsettled. "Are you alright?" he asked.

Mina - Library
Mina looked down at her hands for a moment and felt the corner of her mouth twitch into a humorless smile. "Ever feel like you're too small for the world, Errol?" she said softly. "Like an ant surrounded by titans..."

She didn't meet his gaze, simply looking blankly at the shelves in front of her.

Errol
Recreation Hall- Library

Errol's eyes widened and then softened significantly, not expecting such a response. That's right. he thought. This girl almost died in the desert just recently. Such experiences always bring a feeling of inferiority in a person's psyche, especially when in such a chaotic place like Abaddon. In the City of the Damned, where powerful people wander about, it was not unusual for the less gifted to feel so glum.

Errol bit his lip. He was actually surprised to realize he was looking for words to comfort Mina. Something... anything he could say to make her feel better. Unfortunately, these kind of things were never his forte nor his specialty. All he was ever good for was killing.

"I... didn't have the luxury to feel such emotions." he started, as he pretended to read the spines of the books on the shelves before them. "I never belonged to myself. I honed my skills and abilities tirelessly... my self-worth has always been the least of my concern. All I cared about was protecting my own world." The memory of his sister flashed in his mind, her gentle smile... bittersweet in its innocence. He wondered what the expression on her face was when she died. That was when he realized he was getting lost in his own thoughts again. Words of comfort... what to say? He panicked inside for a moment. "B-But!" he blurted out, clearing his throat. "Not everyone is made to be Titans, and that's fine. The little ones may be looked down upon but in many different tales and stories, it's always the weak that outwits the strong. Abaddon is an unforgiving city. To be able to survive and live here on your own... I'm sure you're a very clever and resourceful ant."

He winced and glanced at Mina, and then scratched his nape awkwardly. "That sounded stupid. I don't know what else to say... I'm sorry."

Mina - Library
Mina listened quietly while Errol spoke, though she felt her muscles tense when he got to the part about protecting his own world. She'd had her own little world once, but she had abandoned it; left it to the wolves because she didn't think it was good enough. If she hadn't left New Eden, where would she be now? Micah... Why had she left him? Hoping to be something in the big wide world, only to realize that the world was a lot bigger than she'd thought it was, and being something was no cake walk. She had been young and selfish, and all it had gotten her was this. If there was one decision she could go back and change...

Mina looked at Errol as he spoke up again, trying to be supportive but failing miserably. The humor steadily returned to her eyes. "You're not very good at this, are you?" she said with a grin.

Errol
Recreation Hall- Library

Errol smiled awkwardly, apologetically. "I'm just not good with people in general." he replied, as he glanced at her amused expression. "D-Don't laugh at me." he said in a lower tone as he looked back on the shelves, feeling his ears heat up. It was the first time he felt embarrassed about his complete lack of social skills. Xena made it easy: she always seemed to understand him easily, sometimes even wordlessly. It never occurred to him just how much she was spoiling him.

He composed himself and then continued. "They don't teach you much social skills... where I come from." he murmured, and then a thought occurred to him. "You're from outside Abaddon, aren't you? From the way you move and speak, I assume you're from New Eden? People from Oblitus tend to be more.. barbaric." He has never set foot out the city, at least so far in his life. Xena did offer him a chance to do so, but he chose to stay.

Mina - Library
The way he got embarrassed while fumbling over his words was actually kind of endearing, in Mina's opinion, though she tried to wipe the grin off her face out of respect. Though as soon as he mentioned New Eden her eyes suddenly became guarded. "Yeah..." she said simply, trailing off.

Mina coughed lightly and nodded her head toward the shelves. "We should probably get back to business," she said, derailing that line of discussion entirely. "Era of chaos, you'd said? Don't think I've studied that time period too much; I usually prefer to live in the here and now." She flashed him a smile, though her eyes were still veiled.

Rayen Ales, Recreation Hall

His feet stumbled over himself as he moved to lean against the door of the hall. Exhausted Rayen sunk against the wall before glancing up at the building. Silently he screamed into his hands, having been wandering for the past... the past few hours? He wasn't quite sure how long he had been lost in the spiraling city, only the end up back at the damned library again.

Defeated, he stood and entered the library, shoulders slumped as he wandered through the aisles of books, stopping before yet another tome of simply history. Feeling a surge of power ripple through the air for a moment, he quietly shrugged it off before taking the book of the shelf. Power ripples were common-place in this time of strife, nothing quite out in the realm of fantasy for another envoy or ethereal to join the field or a discovery of ancient, undisturbed power. Whatever it was, someone had already claimed it for themselves and there would be no chance of him swiping it from under their noses...

Dragging the book, he took a seat at one of the tables, glancing around to catch sight of only a few patrons before he delved into the book, seeking any kind of information to help in his search. Although he may be Alma's successor, the harbingers, like the fairies, came second to his quest to find more, after all, he had just met them, hadn't he?

Back