The Last Bastion: Bunker Chicago The Rescue of Mouse

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
((READ THIS OOC POST FIRST))

“He silences the lips of trusted advisers and takes away the discernment of elders. He pours contempt on nobles and disarms the mighty. He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light.”
-Job 12: 20-22.​

Children of Eve – Truthseeking

They had left the colony earlier than The Coalition, or The Old Guard. They left with part of a food convoy, then diverged away from the convoy in a large truck and headed straight for the fog. Eve was driving, while Lillian sat beside her, somewhat amazed by the level of control she had over the strange metal box she sat in. To Eve, however, it was second hand nature—remained second hand nature to drive a manual transmission. Yet, her face was troubled for the entire trip. Her normally overwhelming aura of comfort was dimmed, almost seemingly consumed by her own internal thoughts. Though Ezekiel was not with them, Eve could still feel his presence among the The Old Guard. Through his presence, and Kiku’s presence, she could feel where The Old Guard forces were—wherever they may be. Though Kiku wasn’t strong enough, Ezekiel was still able to communicate to them all—through Eve. He could be their eyes and ears on everything The Old Guard was planning. It was also possible for her to communicate with Ezekiel, and leave them all out of it.

Once they arrived at the hole, a single glance down into it would prove their suspicions correct. Lillian glances back to the rest of the group. She, too, now looked troubled—it was as though she expected it all to be false. She speaks in their mind, as they normally did. “This could have only been made by Graveyard. Graveyard would only listen to Eve, or one of us, one of the original children... Michael must have done this.” Ezekiel, on the other hand, seemed far less surprised. “Of course he did. He wants to prove to his mother that he isn’t damaged. That he’s just as capable as you or I, in spite of being filled with hate, and fear.” Lillian glares at him, her attitude cooling. “Don’t talk about Michael like that, he’s one of us! He deserves our sympathy, not--”

“Enough.” Eve states. That simple reply was enough to make both Ezekiel and Lillian stop—Ezekiel in reverence, and Lillian in fear. Eve doesn’t turn back to face any of the others. They had about one hour before The Old Guard and The Coalition would arrive. She examines the structures surrounding the area. As she does so, Lillian looks around at the snow falling down. She reaches out her hand, and touches a few pieces that fall onto it. She seemed somewhat curious about it, but kept her mind on other topics. “Mother, your power, it is... Amazing. To be able to speak to Ezekiel, in spite of how far he is... Could I ever... Have this power?” Eve shakes her head. “I hope not in the near future. Perhaps, in the distant future. Part of the reason Michael is so unstable is because he has grown faster than you or Ezekiel. He has gained too much, in too little time. Be patient... It will come to you, in time.” Lillian goes silent then, simply staring at the snow falling onto her hand for a few more moments, before clenching her hand and crushing the snow that had built up in it.

“I do not think the children are so casually ready to enter the garden. So let us hide in that structure,” Eve points to an abandoned convenience store. Though it looked to be crumbling, the old concrete structure continued to stand, its windows long since shattered, and shelves long since looted. “When The Old Guard and The Coalition arrive, we will use our shapeshifting to follow them. I do not want to be caught between two potential threats at once.”

“Two?” Lillian openly questions, with Ezekiel sighing. Nonetheless, he replies. “I was with Michael before attempting to leave the fog to reach you and Eve. He kidnapped a politically prominent figure among the Children of Sodom. The very same Children of Sodom that he warned not to return, or to interfere with our affairs, and they so far have adhered with the exception of myself. He is not acting rationally. He needs Eve’s help.”

Lillian pauses, and her usually fierce eyes fall toward the ground on contemplation, and confusion. “But he was so strong...” Eve, finally, turns and looks back at her. “Strength, with anger, can make even the most intelligent into fools.” She motions everyone into the convenience store, where they wait for their next move.

The Old Guard & Red Star – Preparations

It was a bitterly cold evening. For the first time in the year, snow was starting to fall from the sky. It was a heavy snowfall, cold and wet, persisting on the streets of the colony. Children ran out and played in it as adults glared at it in frustration—it meant the beginning of the months where they would have to clean the streets and stalls of snow. Still, the cold meant throwing on additional layers—grabbing whatever was available—and moving on with their business. In the case of most, that meant shovelling snow as best as they could, and breaking the recently established curfew to do it.

At 1800 hours, a mixed force of Coalition and Old Guard forces moved out toward the colony. Among The Old Guard forces, a handful of Red Star’s forces slipped in, remaining inside a troop carrier—out of view of The Coalition.

About halfway to their destination, amidst the heavy snow, a few of The Old Guard’s soldiers point to the sky, at the three Coalition helicopters. They were turning back toward the colony. Suddenly, a radio conversation erupts out on group channels—both Old Guard and Coalition forces could hear it. By extension, Red Star could hear it thanks to Wisdom tapping into the channels for them while she could.

“Jenive, just what the fuck are you doing now?”
“I’m pulling back Carolyn. Bunker Chicago is about to come under attack by U-ARM forces.”
“WHAT?!”
“Don’t worry about it. We’ll take care of it, we’ll protect Bunker Chicago. Get in there and get Mouse back... You don’t have to act so tough around me anymore, you know.”
“Why do this? Isn’t this going to cost you your mission objectives?”
“It’s the right thing to do. The majority of the squad agrees with me on this. We’re turning back and saving Bunker Chicago from those bastards. You did something for me... You told me the truth. Even if nobody will ever believe me, it’s at least something. Consider this repayment.”
“Jenive... Watch your back out there, alright?”
“And you watch yours, Carolyn. Get Mouse back, and when you do, bury that place in rubble. There’s nothing but a dead nation’s lies in there. Lies that could destroy us both.”
“Or truths, that your masters don’t want illuminated.”
“Regardless, consider us even now. I don’t have time to argue, our signal strength is already getting weak enough as is thanks to this damn storm. Take care, Carolyn.”

As The Coalition turns away, Red Star forces sit quietly, with Morai baffled by the revelation. Wisdom then adds a final note: That the storm was interfering with her transmissions too, and that by the time they reached their mission area, she would be cut off. There would be no help from Wisdom for the entire mission.

They follow the trail that Mouse took, until they were approximately five hundred meters away from the edge of the orange fog. In the distance they could see it, swirling away. It had been growing, slowly, every day. Staring at it gave Kiku an odd sense of warmth, and loneliness. She could hear the very slightest hint of whispers every time she looked at it, beckoning her in. Beckoning her home.

Nonetheless, the attention of most would be drawn to the ground. A hole had been dug into it, at a forty five degree angle. It dug into the sewer system, the walls of which were lined with a pink-reddish substance, veiny in nature—like it was being terraformed. As the troop carrier containing Red Star forces opened and unloaded them, Morai took one look at it, and went onto group channels. The Old Guard forces knew who they were, but didn’t breath a word of it to The Coalition—who were out to slaughter them all.

“This is Morai. I recognize this material. It’s a trap. Wherever it lines the walls, they use it to talk to you. Whispers, from behind you, in front of you, from above or below—they use it to disorient you, and mask the approach of their stealth killers. Ignore the whispers, or they will guide you to your doom. We have found dead men partially consumed by it, much like fungus. Much like the very plants they have completely wiped out in this area.” Morai looks around, and indeed, there were no signs of plant life left. The plants that used to overrun structure were all gone—all, presumably, consumed, and converted to feed the approaching fog. It was all grey. Yet, the listeners in the area could feel a welcome sense from the Orange Fog. Almost as though it were trying to lull them in. A sense they hadn’t felt from it before. Something had changed about it. Like an angry presence was missing... Or a peaceful one had entered it.

“Something’s wrong about this.” Carolyn states, simply, as she hops out of her tank to examine the hole. Ezekiel follows her out of the tank, remaining oddly silent, with a grave expression on his face. It was thirty feet wide, and thirty feet tall. “First, where did they take all the dirt, rocks, and concrete they moved? Why isn’t it here? Second, why make the tunnel this big, and why start on the surface? They must have known we would be coming for Mouse... Is this an invitation, I wonder?”

Morai shrugs. “Whatever it is, we should use it.”

“Stay hidden.” Eve whispers telepathically to her children in the convenience store across the street. Kiku and Ezekiel both are the only ones to overhear this, clearly, with the rest of the non-awakened listeners feeling a powerful presence nearby. Moments later, Eve steps out of the convenience store, and speaks loudly to them all. “Indeed, you should use it.” All of The Old Guard’s soldiers respond by aiming at her. Carolyn, too, pulls out her revolver and aims it at Eve’s head. Eve comes to a stop.

A split second moment. A decision to be made. What will everyone do now?

Ghast had been scowling down at his feet since the Coalition helicopters turned back, and the subsequent conversation. U-ARM were attacking the Bunker. And knowing them, they wouldn't much care for who was caught in the crossfire. He only hoped that his friends had the smarts to keep their heads down and not get involved, even if it seemed like a good opportunity to make trouble for the bastards. He pushed the worries from his mind as they arrived, listening to Morai's advice on the strange substance on the walls as he stepped out into the open.

"Fog seems weird today," he muttered. "It's playing too nice. Normally feels a lot more aggro than this. Something's up."

And as if on cue, he felt her. The teen's eyes widened and he turned to scan their surroundings for the source of the presence. He didn't have to search long, with Eve stepping into view in the next few moments. Ghast stared, only instinct prompting him to level his pistol at her along with the other soldiers.

"Is that ... her?" The 'Eve' that he'd heard so much about, and initially all-but dismissed as a myth. The object of yet another brand of bizarre fanaticism that made being a 'listener' far too much of a thing when in Ghast's eyes, it should really not be a thing at all and nobody should give a rat's ass what weird shit you had running through your DNA - or didn't - unless you were killing them with it. She was a lot ... warmer than he'd been expecting. Not the imposing, grim-faced figure he'd pictured as behind a crazy cult. She looked almost gentle.

A pause.

"Thought she'd be taller..."

Last edited:
Yu stepped out of the vehicle and moved to to investigate the whole. The red goo lining the tunnel reminding her of battles of old. When Eve made her appearance Yu spun on her heels to face her, rifle to her shoulder and her sights trained on Eve's head. "I doubt she is alone. Keep your eyes open." Yu spoke over the comms to the rest of the Red Star unit. "I've got the bitch in my sights." Her finger rest gently on the trigger of her rifle, ready to take the shot at a moment's notice. She slowly moved to a position of cover behind the troop transport while keeping her rifle trained on Eve and her eyes scanning the surrounding buildings. She didn't like this. It was obviously a trap laid by The Children, and she wasn't ready to repeat the events of several years prior.

The легендарный Крокодил's rotors beat almost silently, as Viktor cracked the canopy he didn't get out, and while the rotors had begun to slow he had not failed to pay attention to the situation and saw Eve emerge, heard her... the gun-turret on the chin tracked to face her as he climbed out, keeping in contact with the AI now running it as he took control of the droneswarm and the drones provided by Bunker Chicago, though he kept them back.

"Let me get this right, you want us to enter a pink ground vagina..."

Ozzy peered into the hole with disgust and horror. This is what the Enemy is capable of? All the more reason to eradicate them. He felt dangerously underequipped all of a sudden. The feeling only grew more intense when Eve stepped out. He instinctively snapped his laser rifle up to train on her until he realized who it was he was aiming at. “So... this is the great Enemy of Man?” Ozzy murmured in awe. He lowered his gun and made hand gestures to Morai. [Red Star Hand Signals] “Now is our chance! Can we kill her with what we have?” His hands quivered with intensity.

Kiku, equally parts irritated by the itchy feelings of her newfound power clawing on the edge of something beyond whispers and on edge over the attack on the Bunker, found herself missing some of the first signs of trouble and thus kept quiet about her thoughts on the hole in the ground. It wasn't until the clearer whisper of Eve telling...someone to stay hidden that she looked up just in time to spot her. There she was, Eve, sauntering towards the group as if she were about to meet friends for tea. She saw the edginess of the Red Stars, how they made hand-gestures and communicated amongst themselves...Keeping the Old Guard out of the discussion... Alarm bells began to ring in the Listener's mind, as she was pretty sure they'd just had a falling out with a set of 'allies' for much the same reason.

Unlike most, who raised their guns to Eve, Kiku moved to stand shoulder to shoulder with Carolyn. Her gun was raised, but that wasn't the weapon she was ready to use, were this to come to blows. "Everyone, let's just calm down a little. Ezekiel's been helpful, nothing to say that Eve here is a threat as well, right?" She directed that last bit towards Eve, smiling as she tried to pacify the obvious tension in the room. "We've seen what Eve considers a show of force; it levels buildings, it destroys tanks, and it requires an airstrike to bring down. Let's just try not showing force and stuff." She looked back at Carolyn, nodding her support to the woman behind her. No matter what decision was to come, she knew where she stood: Beside Carolyn, or at least between her and whatever any enemies might have to throw at her important person.

Theodore had remained all but silent during the truck ride, and in general since that first encounter with Eve. He had spent at least an hour the previous night trying out the supposed 'shapeshifting' the witch had blessed him with. For some of that time, it was driving the man mad, every time he'd look back to his mirror, he was another face. Then he started to see them in the mirrors. Ted could only be thankful nobody lived too close to him, lest he'd have been hauled off to whatever excuse for a psych ward the Bunker had. The following morning he had managed to get a grip on himself, and settled on a face: a younger version of himself, before he ever needed that damn mask.

He couldn't help but drag cold fingers across his own face. It was him, and oh so real, but it still felt like a lie. That's what it was, after all, a glamour, for a monster that didn't want to see himself in the mirror. Dupond craned his neck slightly in an attempt to hear what was going on, albeit without revealing himself.

Everything about this situation was familiar to Mia. At the same time, everything had now changed. Unlike Theodore, she had not spent the night trying to manipulate her new powers, but she did prepare for the mission. Mentally, the battlefield was no stranger, and this was yet another day, but now she had more advantages on her side.

Even as Eve sprinted outside and faced a squad from the Old Guard, she knew the woman wasn't an idiot, and that kept her from doubting.

Florence spent the entire truck ride fidgeting uncomfortably, checking her weapons every so often to make sure that everything was in its proper order. She felt trapped within the confines of the truck, desperate to stretch out the wings that the Holy Mother had bestowed upon her. Even after the group had arrived at the entrance to the so-called “garden”, she was still on edge, but complied with Eve’s command, and hurried inside the abandoned store before the Old Guard arrived.

Watching with the others, she stayed back as Eve spoke to the Old Guard heathens, but wordlessly tightened her grip on her weapons. If things turned violent, she would keep the Holy Mother safe, above all else.

“I’m not going anywhere yet, boss. It’ll take more than some snakes and some fancy words to get me away from the people who care.”
-Kiku, Page 1, “The Old Guard Debriefing: Kiku”​

Three Worlds

Morai looks over to Ozymandias, and replies with sign language. “Do not casually anger a god. It can wait for another time.” He then glances toward Carolyn, waiting for her to make a move. Though, he nonetheless offers his opinion, in a sense—by lowering his weapon. Carolyn, however, keeps her pistol raised, and aimed squarely at Eve’s head. In her eyes is an icy, distrusting, angered, and perhaps even somewhat pained look. Kiku, as close as she was, could discern it for what it was: Sorrow, and loss.

“You created this fog... Didn’t you.”
“I did, lost child.”
“You created the pain and sorrow that came with it... The slaughter that we endured when we went in trying to eliminate the last of the raiders, that was all you, wasn’t it?”
“I preferred any other course of action, but felt that violence was a language you would understand.”
“It was understood... It was understood that you were a violent sociopath, who didn’t care for our lives, and would kill us all if given the chance.”
“No, not destroying all of you. Just a few. To show our power, and to enforce our demands.”
“Yet here we are, Eve. Maybe you don’t know as much as you think you do about us. Maybe you don’t actually understand that threats don’t scare us for long. Maybe I should call you Evelyn, isn’t that your real name? Evelyn Tenebris?”
“That was my name, from a long time ago.”
“How long ago, Eve? Just how long have you been murdering people to try and get things done your way? Twenty years? Fifty? A hundred?”
“Not as long as you might believe.”
“Whatever. How many more have to die for your enigmatic plots and schemes?”
“However many as it takes to keep my children safe.”
“How many is that?! Tell me why I shouldn’t just blow your fucking brains out?”
“You should know that’s not how I work.”
“No, but I know we have enough firepower here to suppress you and really hurt you. Leave you with scars you would have to think over. Even if we lost, we would refuse to bend a knee to your schemes.”
“Pointless sacrifices to dead gods.”
“It has a point. We would be free, Eve. Something you may not understand anymore.”

Eve tilts her head, curiously looking over Carolyn, and then speaking gently. “Maybe not. Maybe I have been running for too long. Maybe I have been fighting against your kind for so long, that I have forgotten some parts of what it is like to be... Human. So, understand, I do not seek your death. If anything, I would seek to enlighten you—even though I know you would never allow it. Compromising on this, I would rather ask to work with you, for I have a lost child down there... Who is trying to help me in ways that will do nothing but harm us both. Threats failed. I was wrong in this decision, I underestimated your courage.”

As Carolyn lowers her pistol, Eve approaches her, continuing to speak. “Maybe there is a chance for peace. A peace I have not known in many years. You seek to get rid of The Coalition, and U-ARM—we do as well. We do not seek to rule over your settlement, as you do not seek to rule over these ruins. We can work together now, and work out the details of a peace treaty later.” She offers her hand to Carolyn. Carolyn glances down at it, and then looks straight into Eve’s eyes. “You must think me some kind of stupid to shake your hand, or touch you at all. Still... Stop the fog from spreading any further after this, and we will talk. I have to ask though, why the change of heart?”

Eve takes a step back, her eyes momentarily falling toward Kiku, a brief smile appearing on her lips. Then, she silently turns away and speaks telepathically to her children. “Come out, my children. It is safe. We will work with them, for now.

Carolyn momentarily looks over at Kiku, looking a mix between unsettled and confused, before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes. She exhales through her mouth, pursing her lips together, before pulling Kiku in for a hug. She whispers, softly. “I don’t know what you did, but whatever it is, thank you. I promise, I’ll keep her from kidnapping you if she changes her mind.” She then lets go of Kiku. There was an implicit trust from Carolyn toward her at this point, and though she seemed to have her doubts, she pushed them aside.

Morai turns back to Ozzy and Yu, motioning them over. He uses sign language with them. “Tolerate the Children of Eve for now. Our primary mission is still Mouse. Do not forget this.”

The Hole

Morai, Eve, and Carolyn gather back together at the entrance of the hole. Eve stares down into it, and closes her eyes. A few moments of silence pass. “Graveyard is not here. The path is large enough to fit your tank, but at the bottom of the hole, you will need to proceed on foot.” Carolyn glances toward Eve. “Is that all?” Eve’s eyes open slowly. Confusion seems to momentarily cross her face, and her normally gentle aura is tinged with a hint of uncertainty. “Graveyard was... Afraid.”

Morai double checks that his weapon is fully loaded, then taps his electrified bayonet—right in front of Eve. Without another word, he motions for Yu and Ozymandias to follow him in. “Morai?” Carolyn asks curiously. Morai doesn’t say anything further, his footsteps were silent, as he became completely focused on the task at hand. Carolyn gets back into her tank to follow them, and Eve simply steps inside, curiosity and confusion masked from all but her children in every step. She was worried.

As they descend further inside, the cut pattern became finer and more precise. It was clear from some of the surviving structure along the walls that something used to descend this far down—perhaps an elevator shaft. The metallic compounds that the remnant structural pieces were made out of was unfamiliar, even to the pilots—it was some sort of artificial alloy, perhaps a composite that they were no longer capable of manufacturing themselves. Regardless, though it took them several minutes, they reach the bottom.

At the bottom, Graveyard had dug out around a hundred feet of open ground, until it reached a metallic wall. The wall was made out of a black metal, that reflected no light shined upon it. There was a single door there, which had been ripped open. Morai walks over to the wall, and starts investigating it. Carolyn, meanwhile, gets out of her tank, and quietly ensures that they hadn’t lost anyone on the way down.

Last edited:
Viktor had rested on the skirt of the tank as it descended, instead concentrating on the control panel for the swarm of drones attached to his wrist. Circumstances were not in the most ideal, he'd have infinitely preferred the Krokodil to this situation, but still, the Drones gave him an advantage that he could work with as he played their cameras all across the cavern as they descended, taking not of anything that looked out of place... or well, more out of place than he would normally have expected.

But as they descended he discovered a burgeoning bud of claustrophobia. As a pilot the sky was freedom. So underground represented the opposite to him. "What's our strategy?" He asked Carolyn.

Kiku, Carolyn, and Eve - Scout's Honour.
(Feat. @Nilum as Eve and Carolyn)​

The break-out of tension and ominous presence of threat did not surprise Kiku, as she remained in front of Carolyn like a stalwart bodyguard. What did surprise Kiku was the tension-evaporating moment of Carolyn’s hug. She looked behind her at the woman, smiling fondly as she touched her hand to Carolyn’s face. “She doesn’t have enough monsters to take me away from you alive, boss.”

All while this was going on, Kiku reached out towards Eve, a mental thread to try and connect them. She didn’t know who else would be able to listen, but she didn’t care if other Awakened listeners could talk back. “This isn’t because of me. What changed?

“Yeah, didn't think so. Still... We have to rescue Mouse, can't stand here all day.” Carolyn replies gently, before pecking Kiku on the cheek, and slipping away from her to return to her tank.

Meanwhile, Eve replies, telepathically. The other awakened listeners could not hear their conversation--and somehow, Kiku realized, it was because Eve was powerful enough to block them all out. “I had three direct descendants. Their power is nearly equitable to my own... If one has lost his way... He could risk ruination upon us all. Greed and hate cannot be allowed to win... If momentarily working with your allies allows me to accomplish my needs, so be it.

Kiku smiles at Carolyn as she walks away, not speaking as her mind concentrated on the cryptic message. Talking like this was strange, but certainly useful. "It doesn't have to be a momentary deal. We've both already started to make compromises." She started to wordlessly move towards the tank, when she paused to add a final question. "So, is this a double rescue mission for you, or a rescue-kill mission?"

"We do not kill our own kind, child. If he is lost, I can bring him home again." Eve's cryptic replies continue, but, there was sincerity in it. At least, insofar as Kiku was able to discern.

"And if he were to demand the lives of my friends to come home with you, or Mouse's life?" Kiku's reply, as she stands at the edge of the tank, ready to mount up and descend.

"I would step in, as would his two siblings. Three against one. He would not dare even try--he is doing all of this out of concern for us. Have faith, child--I will get through to him." Eve momentarily glances toward Kiku. "As I got through to you, once."

With a frown, Kiku glances towards Eve; a momentary meeting of gazes causing her to almost empathise with the woman. Loss was a pain she understood, but she wouldn't let that distract her from the important things in her life. She mounted the tank and waited to move, sighing as she took a final glance up at the sky. "His us doesn't align with my us."

"It does not need to. I mean your allies no harm... They simply need stop threatening us, and the fear that courses through some of my children would cease. Unlike with humans, where it will never cease... You will learn this, in time." Eve looks away from Kiku and watches as Morai descends into the hole. "And when you do, I will be there for you."

"I trust you enough to tell you this, don't I? It doesn't matter what harm you don't wish upon my friends. All it takes is an outside force to spark something volatile I can't control." Kiku glanced instead towards the previously hand-signing member of Red-Star, keeping Ozymandius in sight. "I don't trust them, and I know you don't. Just make sure your children don't go after my friends if the Red-armoured psychos turn on you. That's all I want."

"Red Star is an old enemy of ours... There will be no mistakes made in identifying them." She replies, simply.

"Good." The reply was short and sweet, as she focused on the task at hand. With the threads of conversation between the two cut, she looked at the tank she was sat on, Carolyn’s newest baby. It would be a shame seeing Carolyn outside of the relative safety of her behemoth, but that was just the way of things this mission.

When the group was finally at the bottom of the large cavern dug out by Graveyard, Kiku stared towards the strange black-metal wall, and the ripped open entrance in the distance. She frowned, before moving to stand near Carolyn as she exited the tank and did the headcount. While Carolyn did the rounds, Kiku’s eyes moved towards the distant metal wall, examining it with her mutated vision and taking in the details as much as she could. It was almost instantly apparent that she was under equipped for making any detailed analysis or understanding of the stuff, but she could tell a couple things. “Boss, that metal junk is super weird. It’s not…all metal; almost like parts of it are organic. Also, it looks super reinforced. Like…No-one-was-meant-to-get-in-or-get-out reinforced. I think we’re walking into something freaky from the Old World.” Her words might have been meant for Carolyn, but she let the entire Old Guard here her initial report. It wasn’t exactly going to be secret for long, either, so she didn’t care if eavesdroppers overheard.

Hidden Zeal
Ozymandias and Eve
a collab with @Nilum

Ozymandias nodded silently in response to Morai's orders. The potential for peace between the Children and the Old Guard seemed problematic, but he would abide it for now. With the knowledge that all the combined forces at their disposal likely couldn't eliminate Eve, Ozzy began to see the need for subterfuge. He followed Morai's lead after examining her mutant entourage. One of them seemed remarkably like Florence, and Ozzy had little doubt in his mind that it was indeed her. He made a note to avoid leaving any clues she might pick up on. Closely following Morai, Carolyn and Eve, it occured to him that this might be the only time he'd have to learn about his foe. "So, 'Evelyn Tenebris', huh? You were once human?" He tried to hide his contempt for her, attempting to phrase his query nonchalantly, and relying on his helmet's voice modulator to cover the rest.

"I was many things once, Child of Sodom... But yes. I was born a human, like you." She replies, gently. It seemed she had little overt interest in the conversation.

"So how'd it happen? How'd you go from human to..." He gestured at the fleshy walls, "...this?"

"Time." Eve replies, cryptically.

"How much time?" Ozzy pressed.

"Enough time that I knew of when your family used to call themselves Chinese. When a city was filled with millions of your kind. Enough time to watch the decrepit crypts of mankind's aspirations turn into little more than the stomping grounds of pelt-wearing savages using the very weapons their ancestors used to destroy the Garden of Eden they would have once inherited... Even now, your kind splits itself into tribes to fight pointlessly over resources they could and should rightfully share." Eve's words were filled with little more than a bored sort of dismissive pity, like an adult trying to explain to a child what the mysteries of life were. "Yours is an endless cycle of life and death. Know that I mean no harm. I don't need to. You will destroy yourselves again, in the end... I need merely wait."

"We'll see...." Inwardly, Ozzy derided her arguments. Mankind will destroy itself? Never. Did the Titans erase themselves? Did the Gods will themselves from existence? No, they were cast down by their creations, like you seek to do to us. Ozzy wished to throw the words in her face, but refrained. There were more pressing matters to attend to.

"Oh, well... I suppose you will learn. Sooner as opposed to later, now." She intentionally puts a few more feet of distance between them, as she seemed done with the conversation herself.

Live and Let Live
Feat. Script as Ghast, and Nilum as Eve
Ghast followed the exchange between Carolyn and Eve like he was watching a tennis match, head swivelling back and forth between the two of them as they traded barbs and accusations with a vaguely bemused expression. That expression sank into a scowl when Eve made reference to a 'show of power'. Like she could justify a slaughter with that? Just the kind of bullshit he would've expected from a crazy wannabe prophet with a god complex. What made his stomach twist the most was the way she phrased it like she was trying to do them a favour. 'Enlightenment'. He'd never heard anything so patently full of shit.

He stayed on foot as they descended the path into the hole, sticking close to Carolyn's tank and keeping his shotgun in hand. Shortly after they'd started down, however - and after having been eyeing her for a while - he altered his pace to briefly walk alongside the enigmatic 'prophet'. "So ..." he broke the silence of their descent with an awkward sidelong glance at her. "You're the one who's been giving me fucked up dreams lately, right?"

There was a beat, as Ghast eyed her suspiciously for a few moments longer.

"Could you like ... not?"

"I cannot control those dreams you have, lost child." Eve replies, without looking at him. Yet, Ghast could feel that she was watching his every movement, waiting to see what he would do. "They are emanations from the fog... Not I. It whispers and calls out to you, and all listeners. It is trying to tell you something by what it whispers to you."

Ghast snorted, rolling his eyes in an outward display of dismissive bravado - although Eve would likely be able to sense his unease beneath the surface. "If it's tryna tell me shit, it's not doing a very good job 'less it's tryna tell me there's gonna be a flood. I've never been good with metaphors, lady, so the fog's gonna have to spell it out a bit more clearly."

He shifted uncomfortably, turning his eyes back to face the front with a grimace. "Besides, you just said you made the stuff, right? You tryna tell me you don't control what it says? If that's the case, how d'you know it's not just ... random trippy shit that doesn't mean fuck all?"

"You are a lost child, so I doubt you can understand." Eve replies. Yet, she turns her head to look upon him, a little sympathy filling her otherwise gentle and reassuring aura. "It is not just one voice... Or, a mind... It is not human. It is something else, something more. Imagine that you are a drop of water, and the fog is the ocean... Its waves, lapping upon the shore, and with each moment, speaking a million things. Predictions, ideas, plans, dreams... It is in its infancy, and knows not the language of man--but the language of sight, and sound. It has much to learn, but when it is done... Oh, when it is done, lost child, you will be but a drop in the ocean. Rest assured, it has no harm for you." She turns away and continues to walk, with a gentle expression on her face, a soft method to each step, with each movement. It was unnatural... It was, motherly.

Ghast gave Eve another leery stare as she looked away, simltaneously feeling calmed, and not trusting that calm one mite. He didn't like the sound of being a drop of water in an ocean of fog... wouldn't that mean he'd turned into fog? Was that a thing that could happen? It didn't sound right. That probably hadn't been what she'd been going for. Hadn't he just told her he was bad with metaphors?

"Right..." he mumbled, looking down at the ground with a furrowed brow. "I mean, no harm is good, but ... a good night's sleep every now and then would also be appreciated. If y' could put in a good word for me, or something..." A snort. "Yeah, doesn't work like that, I know," he added preemptively. "Was a joke. D'you do that? Jokes? Or's that too ... 'lost drop in the ocean' for you?"

He couldn't help but feel like that particular description was annoyingly patronising.

"The only joke here is the unnecessary sorrow everyone here feels." Eve retorts back, seemingly genuine in her pity of everyone around her. "I'm afraid I was of no help to you, lost child. For that, I am truly sorry." A hint of regret seems to flutter through her comforting aura for a moment, before her gentle smile returns, and all is as it was before.

"Not a real funny joke, that one," Ghast remarked dryly. "Prefer knock knock jokes myself. Less misery and suffering. More punchlines." He scratched awkwardly at the side of his neck. "So what happens to everyone else, in this ... uh, ocean analogy? Plain ol' regular humans." He paused, fixing her with a vaguely accusatory stare. "They the ones drowning?"

"No. They're not the ones drowning..." Eve states simply, as she looks at Ghast square in the eyes. "They are the sickly voices, lost child. You are the one drowning."

Ghast blinked, frowning at Eve with confusion. "...eh? So they're telling me to go jump in the ocean... but the ocean's the fog? Or were they two separate ocean metaphors..?" The teen rubbed at his head. "Either way, don't see how it makes sense. Got friends both sides of the gene pool, don't feel like anyone's drowning. Most decent people don't give a shit one way or another if you're a listener, yeah? Least, they didn't before your lot showed up and stirred everyone up."

"This conflict was inevitable. More listeners are born every generation. U-ARM would destroy you all, and The Coalition would control you with an iron fist. You have far more enemies than you realize." Eve's words were advisory, even consoling to a certain degree--it was apparent she was trying to teach him something.

Ghast gave a noncommittal grunt by way of answer, shrugging. Maybe she was right. "There's better ways of dealing with that shit than starting a fog cult," he muttered. "Yeah, sure, the eagle-fuckers were always gonna blow up sooner or later, and the Coalies are overbearing as all hell, but they're both factions with agendas 'n shit. I asked you 'bout none-listeners in general. The ones that aren't U-ARM fanatics or Coalie enforcers. Where do they fit into your plans?"

"They are left alone, so long as they leave us alone, and do not interfere with us helping lost children who choose to come to us." Eve finally, though hesitantly, replied to the question asked.

Ghast nodded, though a little wary of her hesitation. "Good. 's fair. Live and let live's a good saying to live by, in my books. Who knows," he shrugged, "maybe if you don't try 'n make no more 'shows of force' it might even happen? Can only hope."

There was a pause, as Ghast chewed thoughtfully on his lip. "So whaddyou guys do about the madness, without the Coalies' fancy meds and machines?" This particular subject had been weighing on his mind for a while, given his reluctance to put himself at the mercy of Coalition scientists, and the difficulty he would have getting hold of enough of the right meds for both him and his brother in the long run. "Guessing you have some other way of dealing with it, right?"

"We do not suffer madness like you, lost child. We are matured, grown. So long as we are not consumed with terrible and evil intent, we cannot go mad." Eve pauses momentarily, and looks at Ghast. "You do not go to the Coalition for medication, do you?" Somehow, she had picked up on that thought of his.

"Nope." Ghast shook his head, frowning. "I've uh, just sorta been winging it. Don't have money for meds. Don't trust being strapped into a weird Coalition machine. Haven't gone crazy yet, so..." he shrugged uneasily, not altogether fond of admitting his ignorance about his own nature. "Guess I'll have to do something about it sooner or later, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

"Find your help one way or another, soon, lost child. Someone as far along as you..." Eve trails off, her eyes wandering back toward the path ahead of her. She continues walking, quietly.

"...right." Ghast grimaced, shaking his head. "That doesn't sound ominous at all," he mumbled. Maybe if he did well enough out here, he'd be able to talk Carolyn into helping him get hold of some of those drugs. If she even could. It was that, or submit to being poked and prodded by the Coalition... and he doubted they'd treat him even if he was okay with that, given the current climate between the Old Guard and them. Great. Just what he needed, adding 'going mental' to his list of imminent problems.

He sighed. "Well, good talk, anyway. Seems like you're not quite as crazy as I'd imagined." A pause, as he gave her an assessing glance. "Still find the whole 'lost child' thing weird, though."

"I believe you and others will soon understand what it all means... Secrets have a way of escaping their cages." Eve replies.

"Yeah? Well, hope you're right. Don't like feeling like I'm being kept in the dark." Ghast shrugged. "Used to it, though. So either way, I'll deal."

The end of their descent loomed ahead, and Ghast nodded his head to Eve, readying his flashlight. "Welp, time to get down to business, I guess. Till next time, fog lady. Stay frosty."

Eve does not reply, though Ghast did get the distinct feeling that she would be keeping an eye on him.

Peace?
Yu silently followed Morai down the tunnel. As she entered she flicked on her thermal vision and carefully scanned their surroundings as they made their way down the hole. Her footsteps falling silently and her rifle shouldered and raised. With a rather lengthy walk ahead of them, Yu found her thoughts roaming. They were working with a long standing enemy. Did this mean that there was a chance for peace? A chance that diplomacy could work where repeated assaults and assassinations had been far less effective? No. All those people she's killed. They threatened her life. Her friends' lifes. They needed to be put down for the greater good. Right?

Before she had any longer to ponder the issue, they had reached the clearing at the bottom of the tunnel. She carefully scanned the area before moving towards the opening, and set up watching some angle someone was neglecting to look. "How do you wish to proceed Red Dragon?" She came over the Red Star encrypted channel.

“Like I said, we don't need to fight everyone to get what we need. Ideally, we could negotiate a deal with the Old Guard and avoid bloodshed. Of course, if we cannot get what we want peacefully, we are in an advantageous position to cripple them. The closer we get with them, the easier it will be to stab them in the back, if need be.”
-Ozymandias, Page 1, Red Star Debriefing: Ozymandias.​

Old World Ghosts

Morai taps the wall, and then pulls his hand back and shakes it out. “Cold...” He glances back to Yu, then uses sign language to communicate. “We will lead shortly. Línghún Jī will take point.” He glances back to the silent machine comrade they had. She wore the Red Star uniform, but it seemed to be a tight fit on her.

Carolyn finishes her headcount as Kiku comes to her with the information about the panels. She almost seemed confused for a moment before a bit of realization comes to her face. “Huh. That so?” Walking past Kiku, she rests her hand on the grip of her sidearm, and approaches Eve.

“Eve, what’s inside?”
“You presume that I know, lost child?”
“Everywhere mysterious biological bullshit happens, your mark is all over it. Don’t play stupid with me—if I’m going to get my friend back, and you your child, we need to work together. You don’t need to give me every single detail, just tell me what I’m up against here.”

Eve seems to pause, then finally turns and looks at Carolyn with her orange eyes. There was an odd sense to the aura around her that the other listeners felt, it wasn’t as gentle was it was before. It was sombre, and held a sad nostalgia to it—like someone dreaming of simpler times. “Arrogance contained in an immortal crypt. The mistakes of the Old World. The worst excesses of man. Things that should remain buried... Friends I once had. If they have awakened the facility, it may have automated defences that have come online after they brought Mouse into the facility. They may not even be aware that the defences are there. If the defences are still working, beware—they are humanoid machines that walk out of walls.”

In the midst of their conversation, Línghún Jī turns at the mention of machines, and tilts her head in confusion. “Machine consciousness is not possible.” Her voice contained an emotionless, mechanical sound to it. Eve glances back at her and raises a curious eyebrow. “We are all machines. Some, more artificial than others.” Línghún Jī merely seems confused by this sentiment in her reply. “That is illogical. A machine cannot feel pain. It is not alive.” A pitying smile can be seen on Eve’s face for a moment, before she turns away from Carolyn and the Red Star agent.

“Your idea of consciousness is so primitive.”
“Yours is esoteric and far reaching, commenting on what cannot be known.”
“All of reality is an illusion, Child of Sodom.”
“Reality is all I have, spawn of Hell.”

Eve glances up at the ceiling with amusement radiating from her. “It figures that the quiet one has a sharp tongue. Be sure not to cut out your eyes with it, and blind yourself to the things you do not wish to see.” Before Línghún can reply, Carolyn steps between them. “Enough. Eve, if these defences are functioning, how do we put them down? How do we know they are there?”

Eve replies. “Shoot them in the center chest area. It will put them down for good. Anywhere else will simply damage them. As for knowing where they are, I cannot say that I know. They will have firearms, but how effective they will be after all this time is debatable. As well, there is one other thing you should know. To reach the central database will require access to two areas. One through an observation area, and one through experimentation areas. The two areas are connected—the observation area is a series of raised platforms protected by bulletproof glass that overlooks the experimentation areas. It provides good cover from the experimentation areas, but there will be no cover along the observation decks. The experimentation level has plenty of cover from every angle—they were combat testing zones. The observation deck can unlock the bulkheads separating each experimentation area with a simple mechanical lever—put in place in case of emergency. The bulkheads will only remain open for thirty seconds after both levers are pulled, after which, the experimentation area will be filled with a toxic gas. My children and I should be able to—Agh!”

Eve, and all of the other awakened listeners in the area, would feel an echoing scream coming from deep within the compound. It didn’t cause severe pain, but momentarily overwhelmed their senses—their vision is clouded with a white flash, and their hearing obscured by a loud buzzing noise.

As the awakened listeners recover, Morai looks at Carolyn and speaks bluntly. “We will open the levers on the observation deck.” Eve glares at him as she fully recovers. “You? We can’t trust you, there’s just four of you, and you’re mere Children of Sodom. What are you going to do?” Morai replies, once again bluntly—though his accent made it a little hard to grasp at points. “Something affected you now, it could affect you again. How many levers are there?” Eve looks at Carolyn, and Carolyn simply nods. Eve answers the question. “There should just be two—one for each bulkhead. They are on each side of the observation deck—but it’s not your call. We are going there, not you.”

“What are you so intent on finding, Eve?”
“You would not understand, Red Star. If one of my misguided children is on the observation deck, only I can convince them to stand down. They would rip through you.”
“We have killed your kind before. There are four of us, we can deal with it. You, on the other hand, are so intent on getting up there... How do we know that you will not simply leave us all behind?”
“The observation deck cannot reach the central database. Only the experimentation rooms can.”
“... What? How does that make any sense? Would you not be trying to prevent anything in the experimentation rooms from escaping? Why design a system where you have to get through them to reach the central database?”
“...”
“... Graveyard was afraid... You are antsy and trying to reach something, and now you cease answering my inquiries. Carolyn, send us. We are your allies, we will get you the access you need and meet back with you.”
“Carolyn, you have trusted me this far. You have trusted me to give you the truth about the facility and I have complied every step along the way. Please, if one of my children are there, give me the chance to talk to them—send me and my children. The choice is yours, it seems.”

Carolyn pauses for a moment, and then glances out to everyone in the room. “If anyone wishes to voice a plan or opinion, do it now. I suspect we will only get one chance to do this right, and God knows, facing Old World technology... Any suggestions that might work are appreciated right now.”

Last edited:
Viktor rolled his eyes. "Eve, I understand that you're a big queen supermutant with all sorts of powers beyond the understanding of us mere mortal ken," the sarcasm was laid on thick enough you could practically hear his eyes roll in their sockets, "but lay off the melodrama, you're laying it on thick enough I swear I just heard every teenage girl in Chicago go 'stop mocking me!' in my head right now. How about neither of us send in meat first. I have recon drones, we send them in first to see. Then we can make a more informed decision, even if I lose some of the drones to hacking or destruction that will tell us something. Going in half-cocked because we didn't use our recon element is utter foolishness." He turned and considered it. "And if it is so heavily networked, perhaps there is a digital access point we can wire into to use any cameras that may be present in the facility ourselves."

He cocked his head.

"For all the melodramatic metaphor competition, Eve does have a point. We can't go in half-cocked. So I say we use what we can and learn what we can without depending on ESP. We then collate that with what Eve's senses tell us, draw up a real plan instead of making it up as we go. Drone four has an airgun with some potent tranq darts, so we can potentially knock out whatever it is."

Ghast looked between Eve and Morai, frowning. "I'm with Viktor on that... those of us without psychic brain-scanners would appreciate not going in blind, and this way we can find out if one of your uh, children, are on the deck, right?" He nodded at Eve. "If they are, let Eve go up and deal with that... if not, then there's no issue, right? Let the stars go if it makes 'em feel better."

He shrugged. "An' if we don't find out anything useful, I'd say better to send Eve up in case there is one of her lot up there. No offence to you guys, but after hearing what they can do, I think we're all better off minimising how pissed off any 'lost children' here are in the long run." A pause, as he glanced between the two teams again. "Plus, I rate the super-listeners' chances at 'smash the bulletproof glass and get to the door in thirty seconds' over you guys's," he grinned at the Red Star soldiers. "Seems like you're kinda screwed if the glass turns out to do its job better than expected."

The teenager turned his attention to Eve for a final assessing look before looking back at Carolyn to make a final point. "If Eve was gonna stab us in the back, this seems an awful convoluted and impractical way to go about doing it. An' if it were me," he smirked with amusement. "I wouldn't waste ten minutes talking philosophy with someone I'm about to try and gas."

Last edited:
Ozzy simply made minute adjustments to his laser rifle. He was eager to finally face off against one of the Children, unafraid of what would come. He had faith he would survive, and if Morai said the four of them could kill one of those mutants, it would be so. “We will take the observation deck. Carolyn might trust you, but we certainly do not,” he said towards Eve.

Kiku, having recovered from the momentary stunning that came with the unexpected psychic scream, was slow to speak up until now. She looked at Ozymandias, only seeing another Red Star in a suit and shot back with her own venom. "And why should we trust you? You've been communicating amongst yourselves the entire time, ignoring your supposed allies." No one had commented on her own momentary stoppage, probably because she wasn't centre stage, but she doubted that no one seen her brief moment of freezing up. "We've all got things we want to achieve, but this is still the Old Guard's mission first. If this alliance is going to work, we have to all work together instead of keeping secrets, or trying to one up each other."

Last edited:
Back