The Royal Captive; Fire in Fermanagh

Mary wasn't actually sure how she felt about him being on top of her. She just knew he'd made her heart race several times. The Princess had no clue that Sean actually felt excitement from it. She simply thought he had been making a point for the good of her safety. Though what she did think for certain, was that this was an experience like no other. It was a strange little dynamic developing between her and Sean. In the beginning she'd been nervous to unintentionally bring him to a boil. Though now she was sure he could at least be reasoned with. He wasn't so much just a brute as she would have assumed before.

When he raised his voice a little she raised her arms with a huff. She really didn't know what she was supposed to do, "You charged at me before!" she retorted, "I thought you wanted me to mimic you..." She added the last bit with a laugh and shrugged.
"so you wanted me to try and shove you with just the proper stance?" She asked after he agreed she'd need more lessons. There was a lot for her to learn in any case!

When she heard him speak again she looked up, finding he had something else to show her. She watched him do the maneuver, but before she had the chance to mimic she was yet again being moved around like a rag doll, though this time twirled around as well. Once again she held very still, and nervously tried to look back at him. Hearing him laugh made her grin. She was doing as he instructed, she leaned into it the way he showed her. She couldn't help but giggle as he remarked about her arms being small. Was he trying to make her laugh? She tried harder to concentrate on saving this position to her mental memory. Finally she squatted a bit at the end when he told her to.

After hearing him move away, she released herself into a relaxed stance and turned around.

Hearing his order, she blinked a little, "Hm?"

Though he didn't need to tell her twice because she was ready to do this right. First she smirked, then moved herself into the position he'd shown her, she squatting a little and then full force charged at him. Before impact she twisted into it, and even added in that little jump he suggested.

He thoroughly enjoyed laying on her, and he couldn't get it out of his head. Maybe tonight, he'll have some luck? He could only hope... "I did want you to, but I didn't look like that!" At least she was laughing about the whole thing. "Yes."

He stood waiting, not sure if she actually would attack him a second time. She didn't seem to know what he meant at first. He smiled when he saw her preparing, doing what he had just shown her. But how effective would it be? As she leapt into him, she smacked into his chest and he let out a grunt. Sean let himself fall backwards to the ground.

He landed with one arm over her torso. Normally, his first instinct would have been to push whoever was on him off immediately. But with Mary... she was different. He let his arm lay on her, and just looked at her. What was happening to him? He couldn't help himself from smiling. He was fine with just laying there like that.
"See?" He finally averted his eyes from him, looking to see what was around him when he landed.

"You still made one mistake though." He didn't think she would know, but he was glad she didn't know it. It had been to attack him when he was on the ground. But he could appreciate her not punching him in the head as he lay on the ground.

As she impacted into his chest, she fell with him from the force of her attack. A soft grunt escaped her lips as she landed on his chest. She laid there for a moment and then peeked her head up to look at him. With flushed cheeks her eyes widened as she felt his arm resting on her torso.

She tried to swallow in that second but she was too nervous to, so she pursed her lips instead. When he smiled she felt relief and grinned back. A giddy giggle escaped her throat. She was really happy with the thought that she had pleased him this time. Just before she had a chance to roll off him and cheer with delight she heard him say something about a mistake. She pushed herself up a little but was still laying on top of him,

"I forgot a step?" She asked, clearly confused and trying to visualize what she apparently forgot to do. "You just told me to try again... I did. Exactly like you showed me..." she trailed off and looked at him with question, "What was the mistake?" She frowned as she couldn't figure it out, but to be fair, she'd never seen him feign attacking her after he got her on her back earlier.

Seeing her smile back eased his mind a little. She seemed to enjoy the feeling as well. She was even.. laughing? Was she having fun? Sean's mind was racing. Her brother was king.. her kind caused so much suffering for his people. But there she was, laying on top of him. He wouldn't have been so confused if he wasn't enjoying it.

She pushed herself up a little, and she gave him a new view he really enjoyed. He could barely see down her dress. He began to stare. "Huh?" She caught him off guard. "Yea, you did." He was trying to remember what he was going to say, but he couldn't take his eyes away from her bosom. It finally came to him. "You have me on the ground, and you didn't capitalize on it."

As soon as he finished he wrapped his arms around her, pressing her body against his. He rolled both of them over so he was on top of her, with his arms underneath her. "Too slow." He smiled and moved his arms from behind her back to lift himself up. He only did it so he could see her face. He couldn't look away from her eyes.

"You know, for a cold blooded Englishwoman.. you're quite warm." He had no incentive to leave, and in the moment, he thought maybe he actually liked having her around.

Mary relaxed a little when he confirmed that she had done it correctly. While at the same time she sighed with a bit of annoyance,

Then what was he being so nit-picky about!?

It was after that thought crossed her mind, that she noticed Sean was looking directly at her chest. Her eyes widened as she realized how wicked she was acting, she was laying on top of a man who wasn't her husband. Even though she wasn't married anymore, this was still very indecent of her!

Quickly she moved her hand to cover her breasts, "Sean, I..." She couldn't finish her words when he said something about capitalizing. "What?"

Now panicking internally, she was about to roll off him, but suddenly he wrapped his arms around and pulled her closer, "Hold on!" Before she could really protest, he then abruptly rolled them over.
Now that he was on top of her, her palms were pressing against his chest as pushed himself off her ever so slightly.

Mary was gaping and stunned, especially when he referred to her as a cold blooded Englishwoman with a contradiction of being warm. Finally she snapped out of it and scoffed,

"Or maybe, Sean Kelly, you made the wrong assumption that all Englishwomen must be cold-blooded! It would be like me claiming that all Irishmen must be kidnappers!" she retorted, "And another thing!" She covered her mouth as she realized, her words could make him angry,

"I mean, I'm sorry..." she forced herself to stop ranting, and looked into his eyes. "You mean... You think I'm warm?"

Last edited:
It angered him when he covered herself. Aw, come on. Can't you give me a little? Why did she decide to do it now? He was enjoying the show. He didn't know when he would get to peek again.

He didn't listen nor care to what she said while they rolled. As he looked down at her, she looked stunning as she laid beneath him. Even if she did look shocked. He held himself up with one arm, as he started to brush leaves out of her hair. He allowed his fingers to run through it, taking note of how smooth it felt.

Why was she using his full name? Was she trying to get angry with him? The soft tender fingers had had running through her hair started to search for her head.
"Yea?" He smiled at her generalizations. He had heard worse. But what got him riled up is when she started to speak and then stopped. He closed his fingers around her hair on the back of her head.

"Yea, sure." He got closer to her to question her further. "You're warm, alright." The beer on his breath was noticeable at the short distance between them. Any feelings of affection had vanished, and his hatred of anything remotely English came back over him. "Now what were you on about?" He squeezed the back of her head, becoming impatient. He did it to threaten her, but realistically the only thing he could do was squeeze her head. He couldn't hit it against the ground without also bashing his own hand.

Oh the way he took the liberty to run his fingers through her hair, she didn't actually want him to stop.
She was feeling something she'd never felt before and she didn't know what to do with that. How could she be so drawn to him when he'd kidnapped her just this morning?

She stiffened as at the sound of his voice, prompting her to continue. She couldn't! He could kill her for it if he didn't like what she had to say. Her eyes here starting to burn with tears as his fingers locked into the back of her head. There were times when Sean scared her so deeply, then there were times when he was so gentle with her. She was sorry she'd ruined it.

She opened her eyes when he confirmed what he said before he got closer to her face. She whimpered as he pressed her to go on with what she was getting at before,

"I-I was going to say..." She sighed, and shook her head, "You should know that there are English peasants that hate the crown as much as the Irish might! Both Englishmen and Irishmen have fought against the crown!"

He'd already scared her to tears, she couldn't even look at him. Then after a moment she forced herself to, "I know you can't kill me right now, even if you wanted to! I understand your hatred for the crown, and for me... I'm no saint! I'll never claim to be... Just imagine though... that there are good english women and men same as Irishmen and women!"

She sniffed as she finished, "Please let me go now..."

He could see her tears. They meant nothing to him at that moment. She could be cursing his name or bawling her eyes out, he didn't care. He didn't think twice about how he had been so sweet with her just before and now he was threatening her. In an hour, he could be touching her gingerly and whispering sweet nothings about her beauty and grace.

He could finally hear what he had been begging her to tell him. He stayed silent, absorbing it. "Is that so.." He had never thought of it that way. The crown hated their own people as well? Were they truly monsters to everyone? She was right yet again, he couldn't kill her. Not now, and probably not ever. Sean didn't budge as she spoke to him. Until she mentioned that there could be good English women and men.

A good Englishman? The thought never crossed his mind. He stared blankly at her, pondering the idea. When she requested he let go, he released his grip. "Which are you?" he asked her with a much calmer voice. He was still holding himself over her. He had feelings again, but they weren't the same jittery ones he had felt with her before. It was guilt. Sean felt guilt for making an Englishwoman cry? Nobody would believe it.

His pride was too high to verbally apologize to her, but he had to do something. He gently put his hand to her face, wiping away the tears on her cheeks.

This was what was needed to wake her up. Like waking up from a dream she forced herself to forget the notion that Sean could every become her friend. Just as she let go of the notion that rescue would come. He was clearly her enemy, as he saw her as his own. When he let her go she allowed herself to relax a little again, she looked at him and sighed as he asked her which she was.

Ever so frustrated and even exasperated she didn't have a quick answer for him.

As he went to wipe her tears she reminded herself to remember this, his quick temper. She shouldn't so easily think she can say anything to him anymore. "I don't know." she finally responded to his question, "I think you should decide for yourself, Sean Kelly." She said his name calmly now, "I just know I'm trying to survive so I could tell you I'm good but you wouldn't necessarily believe me would you? Perhaps I'm wicked... perhaps you're a cruel brute! Yet I've spent the day with you and didn't fully believe that until now."

When she'd told him to let her go, she had hoped he would get off as well. "Earlier you said... your people would be throwing pebbles for thousands of years. I would think Ireland wishes to rule themselves sooner. If your people wish that, then perhaps consider working to turn even the Englishmen and women against my brother? Pebbles could become boulders, or is it still not that simple?"

She tried to squirm, very uncomfortable, "Please let me up. I've never seen Ireland, I don't know your suffering or experience so I can only speak on my experience and knowledge when it comes to my father and brother."

she pushed against his chest and frowned impatiently"Listen Sean Kelly, I'm a song bird and I won't sing anymore, unless you let me up!" she wasn't yelling at him, but she was trying to be firm in her need to be released.

Last edited:
The fact that she couldn't answer him quickly concerned him. He assumed she had an idea of morals and where she stood. She was being honest with him, and he believed her. She wasn't as hysterical now. "Perhaps you're right." Many have called him a mean bastard, but he never gave it much though. Now thoughts and ideas were whirling around Sean's simple mind that never had before. Am I a bad man?

He couldn't answer it himself, and he could see why she couldn't answer him immediately. "Is that the only reason why?" Her will to live must have been more than just telling him that. He was convinced that she thought he was a bad man, and he didn't know whether he should revel with this knowledge or hate it.

"Aye." What made her bring up that metaphor again? "It.. isn't that simple." Mary would never overwhelm him physically. Not unless she attacked him with two other men, but mentally. It was clearly quite easy to to do so. He struggled to remember what Michael had to said to him. He didn't answer her further before he felt her squirming under him. Her body rubbed against his and it further distracted him from finding an answer.

Sean may have to finally learn acts of kindness if he wished to become intimate with her without her struggling. He was still thinking of what to answer, ignoring her. Something about never seeing Ireland and her brother. When she shoved his chest she had his attention again.
"Huh?" He rolled off of her and was on his knees, crouching next to her. "What are you going to sing?"

Last edited:
She'd been surprised Sean agreed that she might be right, but her brows hardened as she didn't know which he was saying she was right about. Did he think she was wicked, or that be might be a brute!? She really wanted him to understand what she was getting at. His question made her pause as she wasn't sure how to answer it either.

This just wasn't as simple as good and bad...

Because the situation was complicated she really didn't know how she should answer his other question. Perhaps she would be able to after she figured out if she was really safe with him. Trapping her under him and threatening her was more likely to make her feel she needed to run away more than ever.

She sat up as he rolled off her and looked into his eyes.

"I didn't mean literally..."

She did sing beautifully, though she wasn't using using a metaphor to boast about her ability.

"Continue to make me feel safe, and try to hold your temper... Then I'll not worry about feeling like I'll be better off with my brother who will bargain me away if he's threatened by an impending uprising and needs stronger allies to keep his crown."

If he was listening this time she continued,

"I've never been given many choices, and no that doesn't mean I'm asking for pity. As a royal princess I must do what is expected of me. I learned that at a young age."

She stood up and brushed herself off,

"The way I see it, my brother-king expects obedience because it's the way he was raised. He was raised to use force if he doesn't get an outcome he wants. At least you're a little easier to reason with."

She crossed her arms and faced him,

"With Henry though I'm more so finding it hard to predict what he'll do. Would he have allowed me to marry Charles as I originally hoped? He's not always easy to convince. I will tell you though, he'll have been expecting me to arrive home by now. Will he be worried? Or would he looks for his sister to use as a chess piece?"

She paused and looked at Sean,

"More likely? The latter! So who am I really safe with? When my brother might send me to a man who possibly poisoned his own wife when she wasn't giving him heirs? Or am I safer with the rebels that might kill me anyway."

Last edited:
He met her eyes as she sat up. It was hard to believe that he had just laid on top her and threatened her. "Oh." He was slightly disappointed. Sean wanted to hear her sing, he would gamble that she had an excellent voice. She just had that look about her. The only songs he had ever sang had been shanties with plenty of liquor being passed around.

He averted his eyes from hers when she mentioned his temper. Had he failed her expectations? If she trusted him this soon, then she was foolish. Did she think she was better off with him and the rebels than with her brother?
"You think you're better off here?" He was thinking a-loud still trying to figure out what all of this meant to him.

Sean listened to every word. He shifted himself so he was kneeling closer to her. What did he expect her to do? Nothing really. He was surprised when she wolfed the chicken down. Even more surprised she wanted to learn to spar. He had no expectations of her now. Everything he thought he knew about England and their royalty was shattered.

"I know." He spoke of her brother using force with sorrow. He hoped she didn't think he was only speaking to get her to be quiet. Seeing her stand up, he rose to his feet to match her. He had felt some happiness for the first time since leaving home, and he quickly ruined it. use force if he doesn't get an outcome he wants. He felt disgusted with himself. Was he no better than the King, threatening her to force her to speak? She thought he was easier to deal with, but it didn't console him too much. He felt awful regardless in his self reflection.

He tried to follow her when she spoke more of the politics of the war, but he was too naive to understand most of it. "Do you think he'll send men for you?" If so, he had to tell Michael. They had to prepare for a counter attack.

Driven by those same feelings, he stood in front of her. "Mary.." He was having troubling telling her he regretted threatening her and ruining whatever they had just moments ago.

"I'm sorry." He put his arms around her like when she was laying on him. If she hated him, she may lash out at him. But perhaps she would welcome his embrace? "You won't be killed here." A slight breeze moved his hair into his face. He moved his arm briefly to tuck it behind his ear, quickly returning it to hug her. Did she want to feel protected? He didn't know what better way than to be in a warrior's arms. When he was a child, he felt not even the devil himself could get him when he was in his father's arms.

She was telling him so much of her personal life, he felt he should at least do the same. "Can you tell me more later? Maybe with Michael?" He didn't know if she only wanted him to know this information, but Michael would be able to simplify all of it for Sean. He was starting to get tired, but he wanted to leave this place in a good mood.

She was indeed a fool for thinking she could trust him when they'd only spent a day together. She thought so herself many times today.

Yet she'd felt drawn to him, and he made her feel natural as she was. This time it appeared that she had reached him, the way he repeated some of her words and considered what she was saying. For almost the entire rant he was silent and listening.

To his question of her brother sending men, she nodded. Her brother would do that most definitely. She was about to tell him more details of what she predicted her brother would do but then Sean suddenly said her name.

"Yes?" She looked up at him.

Her eyes widened as not only did he apologize but he also embraced her! She allowed it and even sighed with some relief. It felt good to tell someone about her fears because she'd been holding it in from the time she was able to even process the politics herself. She returned his embrace too,

"Thank you..." She forgave him easily, he'd likely experienced more hardship then she ever could.

"For the assurance." She added with a small smile. It turned out perhaps they could be friends and not enemies.

"Yeah..." She nodded about telling him more later, though bringing up Michael made her a little uneasy again. While she trusted Sean, could she trust all the rebels too? Especially when she had no idea what the leader wanted to do with her.

"I'll have questions for him" she added, "If you say I can trust him too."

She held onto him for a little longer, then pulled away to see the sun had just started to set.

"I'll go get my shoes..." She pulled away and walked back to the bank of the stream to slip on her shoes. Then she picked up her water jug and looked at him.

"Let's head back?" She gave him a small grin, "I think I wore you out a little... Though I don't imagine the sparring practice was much of a workout for you was it?" She was light hearted again now that she was a bit more assured that everything was going to be okay.

She waited for him to pick up his jug and then lead the way back.

Last edited:
Her nod worried him. They would have to prepare to fight. Whether they would meet her brother's men at their camp or have another ambush he didn't know. He would have to find out when they would be attacked. He would speak to Michael and discuss a plan.

He welcomed her embrace. He had fixed it. She didn't hate him anymore, or so he thought. He smiled looking down at her. He had the urge to kiss her forehead, but he stopped himself. He just met her, but kissing her had felt like the right thing to do.

"He'll have plenty for you." While Sean didn't press too much information out of her, Michael was sure to. Michael was the only one who would be able to write any of it down. "Of course I trust him. He's the best lad I know." Sean was clueless to all the times his leader had manipulated him. Although their leader was much wiser than him, Michael had one oversight. He chose Sean because he thought he was too disgusted by anything English to try and take advantage of the princess.

Although he enjoyed hugging her, he didn't object when she pulled away. When she left him, he put his chainmail back on. He was putting his sword and sheath back onto his belt. "I'm fine for another round." He was being truthful, she had only knocked him down. If anything, she had excited him by being against him.

Once he picked up his jug, he grabbed her wrist again and started to walk back. As they walked he loosened his grip and allowed his hand to slide. When his hand had gone past her thumb, he tightened his grip to hold her hand. He was careful to mind his pace as to not walk too quickly for her.

Returning to their camp, two men and what looked like a small shaggy horse were visible in the fading daylight. They were playing with the large dog with a short piece of rope. Krag turned towards Mary and started to bark. It wasn't long before one of the men turned the dog's head to focus on playing.

"There's Krag." He was too tired to go over and deal with the dog. Michael had seen the pair returning and approached them. "Sean. Her dresses are in your trunk. Speak to me at first light tomorrow. Both of you." His leader was in a rush to leave the two, and Sean didn't know why. "Aye sir."

Brilliant... She thought to herself with a small frown, "So then I should prepare for the interrogation."
Hearing Sean tell her Michael was a good lad she rose a brow at him. Lad? But the man looked far older then both of them. She didn't think about it too much though, if Sean said that he trusted Michael then she would have to wait and see if he would answer her questions truthfully.
If she was to be fair though, he probably wouldn't trust her easily either. Eventually she simply nodded, "We'll talk to him together then."

Mary couldn't help but grin when she heard say something about another round, "Perhaps if there's time tomorrow," Maybe he might show her how to get out of some simple holds, if someone were to grab her. She wasn't sure what else he had in mind. Perhaps more hand to hand combat, she looked forward to it.

When Sean grabbed her wrist to lead her back to camp, she wondered if he wanted to make it look like she was still being treated like a prisoner. Then she felt his hand slides down to hold hers, she smiled again and held his hand.

Seeing the men and the shaggy horse in the distance Mary didn't really take notice until Sean pointed the dog, "oh!"
When Krag ran toward her and barked she covered her mouth to keep from crying out too loud, "Oh!" She hid behind Sean and only relaxed when the dog was distracted again. "He won't attack me unless I ran away? He just doesn't like strangers? I'm sure he's a good dog..."

She trailed off as Michael approached them, and barked orders. Something gave her the feeling that Michael had been looking for them earlier and all the other men knew was that Sean had taken her off somewhere. Now they were just returning after the sun was setting. She sighed, "Is it just me or did he look extra grumpy just now? Or is he always like that?"

Last edited:
He smirked at her accusation of her being interrogated. "You'll do fine." She was worrying for nothing he thought. It wouldn't have been too bad. "Certainly." If she thought she would leave his sight she was mistaken.

He looked forward to teaching her again. He didn't know what else Michael had planned for him tomorrow. "Aye, there should be.." He did remember that morning Kieran telling him that it was his turn to split wood. That shouldn't take up their whole day, they may have time in the afternoon for more lessons. He could teach her some basic ways to get herself out of trouble. He smiled feeling her grasp his hand.

When Krag greeted them, he could tell Mary was tense. This was valuable information to him.
"Yea. If you run he'll chase you down." He gave her hand a slight squeeze when she hid behind him. "He's fine with Irishmen he doesn't know. He hates Englishmen even more than me." This was a complete lie. The dog couldn't tell anyone's nationality. "OI Krag's got a taste for English blood." He wasn't even theirs, Michael had bought him from a Danish merchant, hence the foreign name.

"No, Michael's a busy man." He kept walking with her to the fire. "He's taking care of a lot you know." Sean didn't know everything that his leader was doing. Michael had many goals, and his responsibilities went farther than just managing this group of rebels. There had been times they only raided village to send goods back to Ireland where Michael would sell them. He would tell the men it was to drain England of gold, but he was only stuffing his pockets. Sean was too numb to figure it out though. "Michael keeps out of trouble too."

Although he was his superior, Sean admired and respected his leader. His literacy was like a gift from god to him. Leaning down, he grabbed a candle and held the wick over the fire to light it. As he lit it, another man approached the two.

"Sean. Her dresses are in her trunk."

"Thank you Kevin." He brought Mary into the barn by candlelight, still holding onto her hand.

Sean confirming that the dog would chase her down made her shrink a little, as she peeked at the dog from afar. When he squeezed her hand she felt some comfort, but the rest of what he said made her look a tad more unnerved. She seemed to believe Sean's lie pretty easily, although she had her clever moments, she was apparently a little gullible too. Eventually she attempted to shake away her fear by standing up straighter and looked at Sean, "Oh dear... he has a good noes if he can tell from all the way over there!" She said it as if she was impressed, perhaps she was, but from her slight shiver, she was clearly very scared of the animal.

Hearing what her protector said about Michael she blinked, "Ah... now I know," if he said that behavior just now was normal she wouldn't think to much of it. she looked at Sean when he said the last bit, "Keeps out of trouble? What do you mean by that?" she asked as she followed him to the fire and watched him light a candle.

When the man approached she peeked at him, learning his name was Kevin. She hadn't processed it before until she heard Kevin mention it. She blinked with confusion and looked at Sean.
"You were right... they didn't want my dresses after all." Then she blinked again as she put two and two together. Sean had saved them for her? That's right... he said it wasn't simple to send them back to his homeland... but... "Sean Kelly... so you saved my dresses? I thought when you told the boys to help themselves before you were only bringing me that pile earlier so I could choose one like I requested..." she paused as she considered she would still need clothes for as long as she would possibly stay here. In the end she smiled, "Oh I see. That was sweet of you... thank you..." She finally said bashfully and spotted the trunk. Quickly she gathered the courage to suddenly stand on her tip toes and kissed his cheek.

Last edited:
"Aye, a very good nose." It looked like she believed his lies. Maybe it would prevent her from trying to run, at least for a few nights. If everyone weren't around, he would hug her again to calm her.

Michael didn't keep them from the war, but back home they had gotten them out of some tight spots. "Kept us from being hanged." He looked down at her. "Well, when we were sailing here, he told them all we were just Scots out fishing." He smiled, thinking of all the times Michael had given him gifts and special rations. "A few times, he's told us of a distillery to raid. We had whiskey for weeks. He got me my horse too." It had been captured from an English armory. "I think that mare was gonna be a cavalry horse." Sean felt it was necessary to add that.

He laughed when she told him that they didn't want her dresses. "You think we're gonna wear them?" He shook his head grinning. Why was she using his full name. "Aye, sure did." He thought she knew this already. "What are ye gonna do with one? You have them all, wear them all." He pulled on his tunic. "I only got two, and the other's brown." He always wore his green on to battle, so they would know who they were fighting.

Her kiss surprised him, instantly flushing his cheeks. He looked down, his mouth slightly agape. He was shocked, but he didn't want her to be discouraged from her doing it again. It wasn't even him who put her dresses in his trunk. He would have to owe Kevin a few favors now. He wouldn't tell her it was Kevin though, he would take all the credit for it.
"yer.... you're welcome." Guided by candle light, he brought them further into the barn. "You can thank me more soon enough." He said softly. Would she? He doubted it, but he was hopeful.

They were at a makeshift bed-a pile of straw with cloth over it. Sean let go of her her hand to take off his chainmail. He placed it next to the trunk, his sword and sheath soon laying on top of it.
He knelt down and began to pray. Not sure if she would join him, he didn't force her to.

Hearing a little bit more about Michael, Mary had nodded while listening. Clearly the man was like a father figure of sorts, watching out for his 'boys' she considered. She'd smiled as Sean sounded so proud of Michael as their leader. In the end she would decide to give the man the benefit of the doubt, for now.

When the topic of the dresses had been brought up, Mary laughed softly. "No... of course not..." she said in response to having imagined Sean's fellow Irishman trying on dresses. She assumed that they just simply wouldn't be caught dead like that and that was understandable.
"Oh, alright." he seemed adamant about wanting to see her in her dresses, she wasn't really going to argue about it. Just that...
"Non of them are ideal for sparring in though..." she considered with a sheepish grin, "but I'll wear something nice for an interrogation tomorrow." not that she'd be dressing up specifically for Michael but her current black dress was dirty by now. If she was a guest, she might as well dress well for her hosts.

It was too dark to see his flushing cheeks, but he had looked taken aback. She looked uncertain for a moment, should she have not done that? She wasn't discouraged though, Sean just told her she was welcome and guided her into the barn. Hearing something about being thanked more, she wasn't sure in what way he meant. Continue telling him how she was grateful? Shower him with complements on his gentlemanliness? Somehow it was possible for her to be naive but to be fair... her husband hadn't been in good shape to engage in marital affairs for most of their marriage.

She watched him take off his gear, and set down his weapon for the night. She peeked at the objects curiously and then looked at him, "You're always prepared for a fight?" she asked considering he'd been carrying a sword all day, even when he was in his own territory and walking around with her. Seeing him kneel down she watched for a moment and then kneeled down beside him and held her hands in prayer. If he had a special prayer in mind she would simply listen. In her mind she thanked heaven for the blessing of living another day, and forgiveness for her sins. She hoped Claudette made it out of the woods, and that her sister-in-law was at least being treated well by her brother. Then for the wishes of her new friend and his brothers to come true. She finished by making the sign of a cross and sighed.

She made sure he was finished before she stood and walked to the trunk. After opening it, she fish around hoping to find one of her nightgowns.
Before changing she turned around to make sure Sean wasn't watching. If he was she just would request that he turn around for her. Soon she would tell him she was finished, and walk to the make-shift bed. Laying down she sighed and peeked at him, "Good night..." she said and then closed her eyes and tried to sleep.

She was right, none were very well suited for sparring with him. He would be careful with her tomorrow, seeing how her black dress was dirty. He was intrigued when she said she would wear something nice. The dress she wore was already much nicer than he had ever seen. She had some even fancier? Of course she would. She's a princess. He couldn't say the same about his attire though. He would wear the same clothes tomorrow. The same pants, the same shirt. The only thing that changed about his simple outfit was how filthy it happened to be that day.

She didn't reply to his suggestion which worried him. Did she not get the hint, or was she opposed to the idea all together? Time would tell, and Sean was feeling impatient to find out.

He looked slightly confused about her observation. "Well it wouldn't make sense to leave it behind, would it?" Before he started his prayers he gave her more clarification. "In Ireland, they could come at any moment to wipe us out. In their own land, they're even more eager to drive us into the sea." That was all he would tell her about that, as he started his prayers. He could feel her kneeling down next to her, and he smiled.

He didn't have any special prayers in mind for him. Even though he was having new feelings for Mary, he didn't pray for the fallen Englishmen. They were going to burn in hell as far as he was concerned. They may have been innocent, only fighting to protect her life. Sean would damn them all the same. "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.." He didn't notice she had already finished her prayers.

He started to take off his shoes when she stood up and left to change. He stood to take off his tunic, preferring to sleep in his pants and undershirt. He turned his head, he wanted to put his clothes will the rest of his things. He saw her standing there changing, and his eyes widened with a soft
"oh." He loved what he saw. Regardless he quickly looked away, hoping she didn't know he had seen her. It was only for a moment, but he would remember it for the rest of his life.

When she did finish, he went to his thinks to stack his clothes on top of his battle gear. He also grabbed a short coil of small rope. Stepping on the end, he uncoiled it until he had a length up to his waist. He put it down to get his sword, unsheathing it just enough to expose the base. He cut the rope and put everything back, taking the newly cut piece to her. He wished he had a knife and didn't have to use his sword to awkwardly cut it. He traded a knife with John for some beer two weeks ago.

"My apologies." He knelt down on the straw, holding her wrist. He wrapped the rope around and tied it off. It was firm, but not too tight to be uncomfortable. "But if ye leave my side they'll have my hide." It was just an extra precaution, as if she tried to run she would wake Krag. Their mutt would have no trouble hunting her down. Sean tied the other end of the rope around his own wrist with a small length of rope between the two knots so they could move a little.

He laid down close to her on the bed, it was barely big enough for two people.
"Goodnight." Seeing as their hands were close now.. his fingers laced themselves between hers. She still didn't thank him more like he had hoped. He would return the small treat she had given him. Leaning over to her, he kissed the side of her forehead.

Back