The Royal Captive; Fire in Fermanagh

She grinned as she'd managed to contain the beast with her kisses.

She actually loved that she'd boosted his confidence too. It made her wonder, had Michael made him feel like he wasn't smart or didn't have genuinely good ideas? Had she made him feel that way?

She nodded as she didn't worry so much where they would go, she could look forward to it as an adventure of sorts.

She smirked back at him as he showed her his strong arm.

"I have no doubt that you'll be fine," she agreed, "if I was present though I could get so caught up and forget I've only had one lesson!"

She smiled at her own joke, not sure if he would find it humorous. Would he try to shield her from the fighting somehow? Would he have told her to hide or had Michael keep an eye on her? She really wasn't sure. It would actually be safer for everyone to avoid it.

Getting caught with her in their hands would ensure that someone would always be hunting them as a band of dangerous and treasonous brutes. She wanted them to think of being careful as a smart move rather than cowardly.

She nodded as she'd called the barn lovely, she meant it. Quite honestly it was even pleasantly cozy!

Mary grinned as he stammered in agreement and once again nodded with approval.

She was able to lead him back to base when he asked if they really had to go now. She blinked as she looked back at him and considered this. Finally she nodded with agreement that they could stay,

"Your right... This might be the last chance we get to enjoy the stream."

She looked into his eyes as he pulled her closer, her hands naturally moved to his chest, though not to push him away. Her hands moved up to his shoulders as he bent down to return her kiss.

She held onto him as his kiss had nearly made her weak in the knees. As he pulled away from her a deep blush formed around her cheeks. Gently and playfully she rubbed her noes against his and smiled,

"alright... We have time to enjoy this."

She pulled him closer as she kissed him back. There was a time when kisses were so scandalous, now they were even more so in her mind.

Her kisses before were short but affectionate, now they were becoming passionate. It made her wonder, would he be willing to let her go when the time came? Would she? She tried not to think about it too much, might as well enjoy the fleeting moments.

At least she trusted his abilities in battle. Although he would have considered her foolish if she didn't. "And when did you want the second?" He didn't tell her the truth, that he didn't think they would be fighting her hand to hand. He would have drawn his sword to threaten her so she would know just what to expect, but that would mean he would have to step away from her.

He knew the risks that came with harboring her. He didn't see them as any greater than what he faced for fighting the crown. It only meant a different band of Englishmen would come to kill him.

He smiled when she agreed with him. How much time would she agree to? Sean hoped she wouldn't cut it short. Though with her kisses, he would never have his fill. He loved her hands, whether it be on his chest or his shoulders. He wasn't weak in the knees, but he found himself breathing a little heavier. He hoped his tunic and mail would conceal his heartbeat from her. If only there wasn't so much between us.. He didn't think nude, just without his armor and her in her nightgown. Maybe tonight they would continue.

He could see her rosy cheeks, and he felt a sense of pride. He had done that. He felt giddy, her nose against his. He knew she meant they could enjoy being by the stream, but how far did she want to go with him? How far would he allow himself to go? When she pulled him in for a kiss he didn't resist. If he were caught kissing her, he may get praise from the other rebels. But she was more than just a whore from a brothel. Capturing and charming an English princess? A much grander achievement. If her brother did find out she had been kissing him, would he have her killed? To be seduced by an Irish rebel must have been the ultimate sin for her.

As her kisses became more passionate he matched them. Sean held her body tight against his. He hoped she would never leave. Damn this war, and damn anyone who would take her away from him. But what made her so different. He was certain he had feelings for the seamstress from his hometown. But he never had feelings like this. Had the war ruined his mind? He could ponder it later, he wanted to enjoy the moment. His hand crawled up her neck, soon getting lost as fingers ran through her hair. He pulled away to catch his breath, quickly returning to her lips.

Did she do this often? A mix of curiosity and jealousy crept into his head. She did have a husband, a french one if he remembered correctly. The thoughts he wished to postpone could no longer wait. What was he doing? She had to leave, to end the war right? Sean was confused about having his world turned upside down. I'll be returning from the fray to the girl I left behind me or some odd song they would croon at the camp. He once considered it true. He wasn't certain now.

He stopped kissing her and looked in her eyes. "Done this before?" He hated himself. Why had he stopped it? He was always ruining a good moment he had with her. "I mean, not with a Gael.." He should have been quiet.

The slow grin played across her lips as Sean asked her when she'd want a second lesson,

"I believe we were talking about setting some time aside for today..." thoughtfulness caused her to go quiet,
"Though if we're to move out today, I don't know how long we'd be on the road looking for a new place..." she mused with a shrug,
"Soon I hope. If given the chance, a second and a third... as many as possible so..." She trailed off as she didn't want to tell him the real reason she felt she needed to learn how to fight.

Even though she was accepting her fate to be sold to the highest bidder, she wasn't going to let that person easily control her. On the chance that he saw her as a wild mare to break, she would put up a good fight.

With the most likely option needing her to give him an heir, she might as well have some fun now while she still had a small amount of freedom.
She kissed him back for as long as he wanted to draw this out, she wouldn't be complaining whatsoever. Her body pressed against him, she felt the urge to experience some sort of passion that could be enjoyable, that wasn't one sided.

As he pulled away she looked at him, trying to figure out where his question had come from. Did he expect her to have no experience at all?

"I've had a lover before." she told him softly,
"Before I was sent away to marry my late husband in France."

She blinked at him and wondered if this really mattered if she had kissed another man?

"Though we only shared secret kisses and love letters... then my brother found out and forced me to break it off before I..." She sighed as she looked at the stream, "Before I crossed the line... with him..."

After a moment she willed herself to look into his eyes, she searched them with a frown.

"I'm sure you're no monk! Sean Kelly!? Have you done this before?" Yes he'd probably ruined her mood a little but eventually she and calmly asked,

"Any other questions?."

She had nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of... except if it were possibly according to her brother but that didn't really matter.
To hell with Him! After another moments she tilted her head,

"Should we go now? If we're going to leave the camp soon we should make sure that we have enough water to travel. Perhaps we should have brought jugs as an excuse again..." She trailed off as she realized the rebels would have possibly caught onto them by now, if they were intuitive. Thing was though, she didn't give a fig what the rebels thought... she cared about what Sean thought. With a sigh she shook her head then looked into his eyes,

"What made you want to ask me this?."

Last edited:
She was right, they had planned on a lesson. Sean didn't know when they would. They had a chance to now, but they were preoccupied tending to this budding romance.

"Aye, but riding with me wouldn't be so terrible now would it?" If she rode with him, he would make an effort to mind his speed. He enjoyed racing about on his horse, but perhaps he enjoyed her happiness more. The true reason as to why she wanted lessons didn't cross his mind. He assumed she simply wanted to pass the time. Maybe he should find her wooden swords to practice with. "If your brother's men find us, you can witness it firsthand."

For a princess, she was less docile and timid than he had imagined. He wasn't dissatisfied, he enjoyed a fiery spirit. If she were a wild mare, he was eager to ride her.

She had a lover before? He couldn't blame her though. There must have been a thousand men waiting to be her suitor. He wasn't jealous over the secret kisses, he had pecked Phoebe's cheek a time or two. The love letters though. If only he could write, he would give her one. Though she would never read, she's just as illiterate as him. Their pastor would have to read it to her, and he didn't want their pastor reading about love. The only girl he could write to was Mary. "What.. what did they say? The letters?" It was foolish for him to ask, he could only read three things-his name, "Holy Bible," and uisce beatha. Well four words if you count the English whiskey. He asked her regardless. If he ever wanted to court either woman, shouldn't he know the proper language? He knew only of bloodshed and suffering. Not the ideal topics to woo the ladies.

Crossed the line? Although Sean was confused on what to do, inside he was wishing she would cross the line with him. She was frowning now. Had he upset her with his question? She asked him about his experiences and he looked away. "Well.." He had kissed before, but nothing so passionate. "Yes and no." How could he tell her that this felt different to him? He wouldn't tell her his feelings, and certainly wouldn't tell her he's a virgin. He thought it was slightly amusing, in a twisted way. Fueled by hatred he'd taken many lives, but never stopped to enjoy affection.

He opened his mouth to ask her if she loved him. He quickly changed his mind, as that would force him to analyze his own feelings. "No." Is what eventually came out.

He shook his head and scoffed when she worried about an excuse for them sneaking off. "Hell with that. They probably think I took you out here to beat you. He pinched her arm lightly to try and change the mood to a more playful one. "Maybe I should," he smiled.

His smiled vanished when she asked him why he would ask about past lovers. The English charm me with their smile yet they fail to bind me, my heart goes back to Erin's Isle..oh hell with it. He stopped reciting the hymn in his head. He knew it no longer applied to him. He was falling for her and he hadn't heard from Phoebe in months. Mary was here with him, and Phobe could be dead for all he knew. "Simply curious I suppose."

He could tell her more later. He had ruined the mood. He wanted to kiss her again but it wouldn't feel the same. They could pick up where they left off before bed. "Should we go tell Michael then?"

She gave him a flat look when he asked her if riding with him would be so terrible. Granted he didn't like her very much at the time... "Maybe I'll have a chance to get to know the horse a little bit more before being forced to mount it hm?" She didn't actually mind having to ride... "I imagine taking the carriage could make us too noticeable." She remarked thoughtfully. She gave him concerned look when he mentioned her brothers men, she really wanted to avoid that if at all possible. What would she do if Charles was with them? She'd sooner put herself between them, then allow two men she cared about to cross swords.

"Not that that doesn't sound thrilling to witness, but as I've said... we best be cautious and avoid it." She said patiently.

His assumption of her having a thousand men as a suitor was an exaggeration she would have refuted. The fact that she was so sheltered made it impossible for her to even know a thousand people!

Sean asking her what her letters said she looked at him with inquiringly,
"Hm?" She blinked as she'd thought a moment and shrugged, "Mostly innocent, we would write each other poems, or write about our undying feelings." She looked at the stream, "I was naive enough to think I knew what undying love was but..." She looked at Sean, "It was the idea of Charles that I loved, it was a dream... and I was forced to wake up." Becoming the wife of Charles would have meant freedom from most of her princess duties, such duties born to her was being used as a chess piece for the best interest of her brother.

She peeked at him when he said 'yes and no', for a moment she was quiet and her brow rose as she waited for him to continue. However he only concluded with a 'no'. With no other questions for her to answer she relaxed again, not that she was uncomfortable but... she was wondering why he cut their affectionate moments short.

Him attempting to make her playful only caused her to pout, "For what!? I've been an angel!" she claimed with both hands on her hips confidently, "I've done nothing to deserve a beating... and besides..." she gave him a pointed look, "I'm sure they've noticed that you're not even treating me roughly anymore! Aye, in fact it's hard to miss that you've been holding my hand in their presence!" She crossed her arms as she knew he was trying to keep his soft feelings for her secret. For what? The men would praise him for seducing and making a fool of her, oh god... could this have been an act all along? No she decided, Sean wasn't an actor... he was a fighter. She smiled back at him as she resolved her own doubts.

"Ah... well... there's nothing really wrong with curiosity." she concluded with a shrug, then looked up at him with doe eyes, "You wanted to say a moment more." she blinked at him, "Are you satisfied?" She waited a moment then smiled softly as she started walking back, "If Michael asks, you can tell him that I'd rather avoid bloodshed. I'm sure he would understand my incentive enough! He wouldn't want to lose good men or risk his neck for that matter. Smarter to be safe then regret not acting later."

Getting familiar with his horse? She would have the opportunity, but it was his horse. Well, technically it was bought and paid for by her brother. Sean knicked it from a stable. It was practically his now though. She could get as familiar as she desired. Sean wanted her to only be a passenger, worried she couldn't handle being at the reins with the mare's speed.

"Correct." The carriage that nice was an obvious clue to who they pulled from it. "We need to strip it down, make it more crude. A plebs carriage." He sighed. He knew she wouldn't like the second option. "Or torch it." He was quick to explain his reasoning. "The hounds, once they pick up the scent we will always be on the run." This made him glad to have kept her dresses. If she ever ran from him, Krag could track her down.

When she told him the contents of the letters he was quiet, only nodding his head. Undying love.. his mother definitely had it. He liked to think his father did as well. Guiding him from beyond the grave in a way. As heart broken as his mother was to see her second eldest leave for war, she asked him to at least make those Englishmen bleed. Whether it was a lust for her husband's vengeance or she simply didn't want her son to die without having done anything meaningful- Sean never knew. Never questioned it either.

Was it just the idea of Phoebe he loved? The idea of being home, and away from this war? Returning to life before? The bloodshed didn't stir him, but perhaps Mary would wake him.

Her pout worried him. He really did mess this up. Why did he even bother? He shouldn't have kissed her in the first place! He would have been better off treating her like cattle; property to be fed. He was almost certain it would have been better that way. Something inside told him this wasn't true. He adored her affection.

He grinned when she called herself angel. We'll see about that. "Really? If word got to the palace that you'd been kissing an Irishman, they'd.. they'd excommunicate you!" Sean struggled to remember the word. "You're English. That's reason enough." The hostility towards the English was bittersweet to him. It had a comforting familiarity, but he still longed for her touch. He had slipped up and held hands in front of everyone. But was she complaining? As she crossed her arms, he moved his idle stance into a more defensive one. "Would you like me to? I can beat you just like any other Saxon!" He wasn't bluffing, he could have hit her. The brutality would be no where near as severe against her. Maybe a few light knocks, throwing her to the ground. She was overestimating Sean if she thought he was acting. He could only feign a blow to get around a foe's shield, not feign these emotions.

There Sean stood, angry again. She had just contained his rage, and released it yet again. In his eyes, it was all her fault too. His short fuse had no responsibilities. The only time his actions had met any consequences was when his men suffered, and even then he couldn't decide when the English attacked them. "Satisfied." He told her plainly. He walked to follow her. "Roughly.. your next lesson will be more involved, I'll be sure of that." He grumbled more to himself than anyone. She was right about Michael. He was cautious with his men's lives but even more with his own. Near opposite of Sean's priorities. She was right about it. Why was she always so right? She was so damn smart, always had the right answer.

He had let her walk a few steps ahead of him. "Hell with it, next lesson starts now." He quickly closed the gap between them. He grabbed her shoulders to be sure she faced him. Bending down he grabbed her waist and lifted her up as he stood. He put her on his right shoulder. He had one arm looped around her lower back to keep her from rolling off. "Try to get down." He laughed. "I'll tell you how later, just try to find a way on your own." Seeing as his left hand was free, he put it on the back of her thigh. It felt scandalous to touch her in such a place, his fingers feeling her through the fabric of her dress. Although he was carrying her like a sack of grain, he wasn't careless. He glance behind to be sure her hair wasn't dragging along the ground.

Whatever attempts she made he resisted them all, keeping a tight grip on her. Later during the actual lesson he would be looser, allowing her to break free. He was determined, ignoring all the comments from his comrades as the duo passed them.

He barged into Michael's tent, Mary still on his shoulder. "Michael. We must leave. There will be men on horseback following hounds." Although he was rough when hoisting her up, he was much gentler putting her down. He thought of it like mounting a horse. You didn't get hurt getting up, you got hurt when you fell down. He moved his left arm to her back and leaned forward. His right arm bent, ready to hold her legs under her knees. He set her down one of the makeshift chairs.

"Sean, did she tell you this or did you come to this on your own accord?"
"Does it matter?" He barked at him.
Michael sat there, shocked. He had been the target of one of Sean's furors. He furrowed his brow and looked to Mary. She was the cause of this. She was corrupting his bruiser. The wheels were turning in the man's head. He would make Sean distance himself from her, make her pay for daring to take his best warrior.

Sean walked freely to the other side of the table, moving aside parchments that he couldn't read. Invoices and inventories, deeds to different lands.

"What's the meaning of this?" Michael questioned.
"The map! The fucking map!" Sean didn't know why he was so angry. Was he tired of being considered a fool? Was he more just sexually frustrated that he didn't get any further with Mary? It all culminated into his rage. Finding the map, he pushed his finger against a spot that said 'well.'
"What's this say?"
"Well."
"A well! See, people must have lived there once!" He was excited to his plan coming together. "We'll have water, and a roof over our heads. People lived there." He repeated himself to reassure that it was a good plan.
"Englishmen, Sean. English farmers lived there."
"Fuck em! I'll kill them and feed them to Krag if I have to!"

Michael smiled hearing Sean's familiar ferocity. He looked to Mary while answering him. "Do as you must." He did not want Sean falling in love with Mary, it would only cloud his judgment.

With a boosted ego Sean moved back to stand with Mary. The first time he acknowledged her since he put her down. He put his hand on her shoulde. "I'm taking Krag and all my riders." Michael simply nodded. "Come, we ride."

Last edited:
"Aye strip it down and keep the decorations"

She looked worried for a moment when hounds were mentioned, he knew she was weary of canines, whether they belonged to the English or Irish.

"Best leave as soon as we can." She added with a softer note. Though when Sean spoke of excommunication her eyes flared. Especially with him alluding that she would deserve it because of her lineage.

"Aye! That's right Sean Kelly! I've both prayed with you and kissed you! Should I regret both!?" Mary was glaring at him when he threatened to be rough with her. Was trying to get to know him a waste too?

Her point wasn't to complain or blame, just that they might as well drop the act and simply enjoy their time together while it lasted. What had started this? By this point she'd almost forgotten.

"Good! Look forward to it" she'd retorted about rougher lessons when her back was to him. It would get them both the chance to release frustration.

She tried to slap his hands away when he turned her around, but she wasn't prepared for him to lift her off the ground again. "You! You-brute!" She screamed as he threw her over his shoulder, "

Him telling her to get down on her own made her growl with frustration, because she was hesitant to try something that could risk breaking her neck. Feeling his hand on the back of her thigh caused her to growl again,

"Put me down!" She yelled as he would ignore her. She managed to cause quiet a scene while Sean was making a b-line for Michael's tent. No one would suspect that it was a lesson, or that she was making him soft with feelings for her.

She calmed down when she realized and instead pounded her fists against his back,

"your lucky I figured out your strategy!" Not knowing that it wasn't a strategy as she thought at all.

She glared at Sean and Michael as she was dropped off in a seat. She crossed her arms clearly displeased but seeing Sean be a bit more firm with Michael caused her to soften again and uncross her arms. Michael's silent blame was half right and half wrong. Mary gave him no reaction whatsoever.

She simply shrugged as she had to deal with his fuse more often. It's about time he gets a taste of what Sean is really capable of.

Mary's eyes flickered as she realized Sean couldn't read. Then her eyes narrowed a little as she judged Michael. Why wouldn't Sean's father figure teach him how to read!? Keeping him naive so he would blindly follow orders?

She looked concerned that Sean would threaten to hurt English villagers. She was urging them to move and avoid bloodshed, but he would find that she would not easily forgive him for spilling innocent blood.

When Sean succeeded to convince Michael she smirked proudly, and stood before following Sean out.

"Do you feel better now?" She was curious if he felt good yelling Michael, she was almost surprised that he wasn't reprimanded by the old man.

"How far is this new place?"

He didn't mention the hounds to her to make her fearful, just to state a fact. When she asked if she should regret kissing and praying with him he shrugged. "Your choice."

Her slaps were ineffective, but it wasn't her fault. She was inexperienced and had a dainty build. He was happy to see the spirit though. Screaming at him, growling at his touch. She would need that ferocity if she wanted to break free from any future kidnappings.

A strategy? Had she come up with a plan on her own? He felt her blows on his back. An annoyance at best but she had the right idea.

Sean was clueless to the fact he just admitted he couldn't read in front of her. He wasn't paying much attention to her until he finished.

When he finally did, he noticed that her mood had changed. She wasn't trying to break free from him, and didn't seem combative with him. When she asked how he felt, he was confused and a little surprised. "Hm?" He took her hand into his as they walked out. "I suppose."

He was feeling better though. Whether it was telling Michael his plan or feeling her small hand in his, he wasn't as angry. Happy even. He still had just as much energy. He leaned to her to whisper. "I'd be a lot happier if you were on my lap" he pecked her cheek before moving his head away. Was he playful now? He was probably crazy.

Hell, he was feeling great. "I don't know how far. Maybe a few hours?" He was feeling much better but was still full of energy, eagerness. If they were in private he would have patted her bum. He anticipated she would reprimand him for such a thing. He didn't want an audience for it. "Let's go."

He led her to Kieran first. "We're moving. Get Kevin and Brian. John and Liam are staying with Michael. And get Krag. Collar him. Bring water and bread." "Yes sir." Sean left with Mary, still holding her hand. He had a better answer for her. "Probably until evening. Anything you want to bring?"

Oooh he made her really mad sometimes! Her choice!? That's all he had to say? No she didn't regret either but he didn't have to be so uncaring!

Mary found herself playing nice again, mostly because the day would be much longer if she continued to be combative with him. She'd seen the way Michael was trying to get under her skin, show her that he still had Sean under his control. Uh uh... we'll see about that Michael, she would have it her way and her way would mean getting Sean to have confidence enough to stand up for himself and not let the guy manipulate him into acting like a loyal hound.

Why did she care so much? Guess she didn't like seeing people being controlling over others. She dealt with it as a natural part of life, but Sean? Heck no... she needed him to outgrow Michael if they were going to end this damn war.

She peeked at his hand now holding hers and smiled, though her smile dropped to surprise when he teased her and kissed her cheek. Quickly she peeked up at him and rose both her brows,

"Actually I'd like that too!" she recovered quickly and gave him a smart little smirk, "of the many things I would never been allowed to do? why not!" She was being purposely nonchalant with a pokerface, "You can perch me on your lap tonight when the boys gather by the fire and tell stories and drink beer."

Was she serious? She appeared so! Would he make it happen? Would she drink beer too? She would certainly be a light weight.

After hearing about the possible distance she nodded, "hm... Best make sure everything is packed up so we don't leave a trace..." She followed Sean to Kieran. She found it interesting that Kieran was calling Sean 'sir', mostly because he'd never done so before. Soon she was once again lead away by the hand, she waved goodbye to Sean's underling.

"Okay, I'd probably grab my my night dress to go... if your horse had a side saddle bag it would me nice if I could put it in there..."
After grabbing her dress and finding Sean's mount, she let him pack the dress and any other supplies. All other items were being packed into her now plain looking carriage and an extra wagon. She waited for Sean to mount up, then she climbed on. (In front or behind him / cute either way)
She would be taking the opportunity to sightsee this time.

"So, because you're giving me lessons." she took the opportunity to bring up something else that just came to mind, "It's only fair that I give you lessons in return?" She peeked at him with a gentle smile, "Reading and writing? If you're interested you let me know."

He did it on purpose, getting under her skin. He enjoyed it. Was she doing the same to him? He didn't know.

She was eager to sit on his lap? He was visibly excited now, he wanted to race there as fast as he could to have as much time as he could with her on her lap. She wanted to do it in public too? If she wanted to do that much in public, what would she do in private? She even seemed to looked forward to celebrating with them all. "Better than the drink you brought from France." Would she drink? Not nearly as much as he, clearly. He wouldn't push her too, but he did wonder what she would do after downing a few. What stories they would tell? He couldn't guarantee it would be a clean topic. They were soldiers after all. They would probably be about battles or women they slept with.

"Aye." She was a sharp one. Kieran called him sir out of a slight fear of him. He heard him raising his voice, and Sean had never done it with Michael. He didn't want to be his next target. Kieran waved back, making sure not to appear too friendly with the princess in case Sean got the wrong idea.

He thought she would grab her night dress. "I'll see to it." While she got her dress, he pushed everything down in his saddle bag, making room for whatever she brought out. Everything was being stowed away and ready to travel. He looked forward to riding with her, and what they could do when they were finally alone. He gave her his hand to help her mount up, putting her in front of him this time. He didn't expect trouble, but he wanted to surround her like a wall.

"Aye?" His imagination was already running wild with what they could do when they were hidden away again. Things she had never been allowed to do? It only grew crazier when she said she would give him lessons in return. Would they be of what she did with her previous husband? How to love someone?

It was something even more meaningful than that to him. His cheeks flushed red. How did she know he was illiterate? He paused, silent for a minute. "Won't that take forever?" That was what Michael had always told him. He put his chin on her shoulder to speak more personally with her. "You mean it?" No one had ever offered this to him before.

He put his arms around her torso and held the reins. They started to ride, Sean had whistled and his three riders were following him. The silver hound also came with them, running along side them. "Damn dog's gonna get hurt one of these days." He mumbled into Mary's ear. He didn't want to leave Krag behind, so he rode slower than he usually would. He could find more ways to bother her. He turned and kissed her neck below her ear.

As they rode, the gait of the horse jostled their bodies. He rubbed against her with each step, enjoying the steady rhythm to it all.

---

They arrived to an empty homestead. The fields were overgrown, and any gardens were plagued with weeds. But there was a small barn. "Don't get any ideas, it's mine." He told the rest of his crew. Seeing he was calmer now, Kieran joked with Sean. "Take it, no one wants that piece of shit anyway."

She scoffed as he was reminding her that the wine she offered him yesterday was no good, "good grief Sean, you asked if I had anything to drink." She shook her head this man! She would try the drink they seemed to like so much, she was just careful enough to hold off on drinking their beer on the chance that she would drink too much and be vulnerable to unwanted advances. Now though? Advances from Sean wouldn't be entirely unwanted... but certainly not smart of her to decide now.

In order for these men to see her as a human being she would have to sit with them and act like a woman. Because she didn't care to act like a princess when she didn't have to, she would possibly be able to relax. She wondered if Michael would object if he saw what they were doing... the way he looked when he thought she was turning Sean against him. Even though that wasn't her plan, would he think she was doing the same with his men? They would find out when they arrived to the point in time.

Mary grinned when Kieran waved back, that was progress! She'd likely be able to get the rest of the men to be friendly too.
She also grinned when she'd been offered a hand to climb on the horse, she enjoyed the feeling of strong arms around her making her feel safe on the road.

By the point she mentioned lessons she'd heard interest in Sean's voice, though she didn't realize his mind was going wild with assumptions rather than her innocent intention. She frowned when he asked if it would take forever, had someone told him such? She leaned back into him and nodded to his question of her meaning it. "Aye Sean Kelly, I mean to offer you reading and writing lessons yes. It could take a while but understand it might require practice on your end. I assure you I'll be patient."

Feeling his arm around her torso, she smiled and leaned further into him. "I certainly hope not..." she said peeking at the hound, she feared him but she didn't hate him.

She relaxed a bit more, by the point she felt a kiss on her neck a small sound escaped her lips. It felt good, so she didn't object.
This was certainly a different experience being in front rather then behind, a blush formed at her cheeks and nearly remained for the whole ride.

---

The abandoned homestead appeared in slightly better shape then the one they'd just abandoned. She hoped it wasn't haunted with the ghosts of Englishmen who'd once lived there.

She smiled as Sean claimed the barn in a heartbeat, as she dismounted and stretched her legs. She kept her eyes on Krag and made sure not to rush off anywhere thinking then he wouldn't have reason to chew her leg off.

Once they'd unpacked their load, Mary was making her way through the overgrown fields to inspect the shelter Sean picked out for herself. The inside would likely require cleaning up but perhaps there would be some useful things left inside?
(Barn with a house too?)

She struggled to pull open the doors, then looked to Sean for help.
"We need to let in some fresh air"

Once the doors were open she peeked inside and inspected the roof for holes. "Just a bit better, I'd say." as there were less then before.
Then she walked inside to look for any tools left behind. Though because good tools wouldn't have been abandoned she didn't think there would be much.

"It'll do." She added as she continued to inspect the area. "For lessons," she turned to him, "It would be helpful if you were able to borrow plain paper and a pen with ink," She didn't think they would be able to start until Michael arrived with all his things. "Otherwise... drawing in the dirt is also an option. I'm sure we'll find plenty of it!" Mary thought it was better to keep it a secret from Michael. However if Sean told Michael and in turn was told yet again that it would take too long, she just hoped his resolve to learn was stronger then his loyalty to listening to the mans every command.

She was serious about teaching him how to read? He was touched. He would be able to read his own letters.. he could write his own letters! Although he tried to hide his excitement, it was pointless. "I can write to my ma." He knew his mother would love nothing more than to find a letter from her son. She couldn't read it, but knowing that her boy had learned to read would mean a lot to her.

He felt he should clarify why he said Krag was in danger. "He runs too close to the horses, he's gonna get stepped on." He was worried about the dog. They all loved him, knowing he was their only alarm against any night attacks.

---

When she dismounted he followed her. Krag was walking with his nose to the ground, oblivious to the princess. The dog was searching for something on the campground, but no one knew what it was.

Sean followed her through the tall grass to their new barn. He was also curious as to what may have been left behind. He didn't know what to expect, or why the people had left.

He smiled as she couldn't open the doors. He shook his head and stood behind her. He lifted up on the door then pulled it. "They sag on their hinges when they're old." He assumed the barn was empty, but he was still cautious. He walked in behind her with his hand on his sword, ready to draw and cut anyone down.

"Aye." This barn was in better shape, at least it leaked less. The only tools he had found were a rusted sickle and hoe. "Rubbish." He had no use for them, and who would buy them in such poor condition? He didn't know any way to salvage them, so he left them where he found them.

When she spoke of lessons, he knew what the hoe would be good for. Stepping on the end, he pulled the handle out of the iron working end. A makeshift sword for her to practice with. He put the handle on the bench and walked to her. "Yes, it would." He had no idea, he was just agreeing with her. He could knick supplies from Michael as they setup the rest of camp. He smiled when she spoke of drawing in the dirt. "Endless supply." Writing in dirt was possible anywhere, they wouldn't have to sneak the equipment. The permanence of paper and ink also appealed to Sean though.

He kissed her forehead and then crouched down. He was eager to continue where they left off, but even more eager to show her what little he did know. Grabbing a stone off the ground he began to carve into the soft earth. He was slow but deliberate. SeAИ KeLLy. He realized something was wrong, as he quickly crossed out the N. SeAИN Kelly lay in the dirt before them. "That's me." He was clearly uncertain if he had made any mistakes. He looked to Mary for confirmation. "Right?" He wanted so much in that moment. He wanted to become a scholar and leave the war and spend his days in a library with her. Or even just read books with her. He wanted to take her to the loft and explore her body with his hands. One thing at a time. He would use this time to learn, and then after dusk they could show their feelings for each other once again. He brought his attention to the lesson at hand. "You?" He hadn't the faintest idea on how to write her name. Merry?

"Makes me wonder how long it's been abandoned for," she said as he'd shown her how to open the door. She wasn't certain if she could have done that by herself anyway... they appeared to be large barn doors. Either way she was happy to see the old building appeared strong and steady, though it was certainly dusty.

Mary noted that Sean was being cautious with his hand on the blade. If he really had reason to worry he should have moved her aside and gone in before her. Lucky for them, there was no danger and they could rest easy for a little bit.

She grimaced seeing her protectors disappointment with the abandoned tools. "Perhaps they abandoned it because the garden stopped growing..." she remarked as she watched him figure out what to use the equipment for. She continued to watch and smiled as he managed to refurbished it somehow. Good that he was remembering that she didn't like things going to waste.

She laughed as he agreed they had endless supply of dirt, and nodded. When he kissed her forehead, she couldn't help but grin feeling giddy.

Her smile widened as Sean managed to spell his own name! Giving her some idea that he might at least know some of the alphabet and would be able to recognize some letters and their sounds. She nodded as he even managed to correct his own errors, "That's right! Very good! I have a feeling you'll pick it up fast."

She knelt down next to him when he asked how her name was written. She wrote it out for him, 'Mary Tutor'.

"Now if I you can get me a pen and paper later, I can make you something a little more long lasting..." she said as she started drawing the uppercase and lowercase alphabet, "For now I want to know which letters you recognize so far." She pointed to each letter and waited to see if he was familiar with the sound to go with them. When finished with that she had more of an idea of how she should plan the lessons out.

She made sure to praise him regardless of how many he got wrong or right, "Very good!"
Mary would continue tutoring him until he started looking fatigued or frustrated / or both. When she felt it was time to end the lesson she took his face in her hands and pecked his lips. "Good job!" She said again, "Just remember that it will require practice and upkeep." nest time she planned to write simple sentences and get him to practice reading. "As you learn, you should always try to read something before you ask either me or Michael what a word says. Practice whenever you can."

He didn't know how long it had been abandoned, hopefully a while. If she wasn't able to open the doors on her own, then maybe she wouldn't be able to escape either. "Perhaps" he answered when they suggested that they left because they couldn't grow any crops. If she could make such intelligent guesses, was she able to tell he was falling for her? He hoped he could fool her a little longer.

He smiled with rosy cheeks at her praise. He only knew the basics, but she told him he was doing good. Was she proud of him knowing even the basics? He enjoyed her kneeling next to him. If only they had a pen and paper, she could sit on his lap and show him. He was sure he would get them supplies. Even bribe one of his men to get them.

He took note of her name, trying hard to memorize it. He wrote below his own name. 'Mаry Tuтor'. He turned to look at her as she spoke.

"I'll see to it. I'm sure of it!" He was already eager to read, even more motivated by who would be teaching him. Which letters he knew already? He shifted so he was on his sitting down. He immediately pointed to S. "Sh. She." He smiled wide, clueless that he was completely wrong. He moved his finger to B next. "Bye..." seeing I, he corrected himself. "B?" He connected the two. "B-eye-b?" He could only make the sounds for the letters in his name. He didn't know what they were called, not even knowing that they each had names. Uncertain he pointed to M. "Mm? For Mary?"

When they were done their lesson, he knew roughly the alphabet. He could have melted in her hands when she held his face. He had only heard praise after he drove a sword into someone's chest. He was going something.. productive? Not his usual self, destroying lives and property. "I will." He didn't have anything to read at the moment, but if he did he would try it. He had no opportunities to practice. As he sat there, he thought of her own lessons. He should put some of the fabric that decorated her wagon to make her some clothes to practice sparring in, so she wouldn't destroy all of her dresses. He had learned to sew by helping Phoebe in his free time. Maybe he could put the skill to some use?

"And for your lessons." He stood and took his sheath and mail off. He turned back around to look at her. "Subdue me!" He held his arms out. It was another way for him to gauge her preformed strategies. He knew she would fail, but he wanted a little fun. Any excuse to touch her was welcome. "Put me down!" It was less of a lesson, and more just play fighting with her at this point. What else was he going to do for fun? Well... there was kissing but he planned on doing that later tonight.

Each time he pronounced something correctly she nodded, "Yes." If there was a point when he needed her clarification she would tell him what it sounded like and have him repeat it. "That's right... M for Mary."

The princess couldn't help but be pleased to hear Sean agree that he would practice any chance he could get. She knew there wasn't a whole lot of reading material around but she could always create opportunities for practice down the road.

She stood ready as Sean mentioned her lessons, watching him take off his sword and mail. Her brows furrowed as she saw his arms were out. She considered that he might be ready to grab her if she attacked. Though trying not to overthink it, she figured that she would at least perfect the technique he'd shown her yesterday. She squatted slightly and tucked in her arms, ready to charge. When she charged, she made sure to twist into it the attempt to 'put him down'. If she managed to do it she made sure to recover and get herself up to feign a blow to his noes.

After tackling him, she rolled off him and waited for him to get up. "Tell me how I'm supposed to get out of the shoulder lift you had me in this morning," she was in part requesting and reminding him that he told her he would.

She braced herself, expecting he would go for the hands on approach while telling her how to get herself down.

"After that I want you to think about other ways for me to get out of tricky situations. Such as someone grabbing me from the front, from behind, or by the arm..." She was clearly determined to make faster progress, considering she didn't know how much time they would have to teach each-other.

He felt proud, learning the little bit that he did in their first lesson. He watched her, not knowing if she would actually come to attack him. He smiled seeing her use the same technique he taught her. He studied where she put her arms as she ran at him, paying too much attention to her. He almost forgot that she would collide with him. He quickly braced himself for a fall.

He hit the dirt with her on top of him, quite impressed at how well she was doing. He put his arms up to block her feigned blows. A true foe wouldn't just sit and let her pummel them, he should at least give her a sense of realism. She was even rolling off him and waiting for him. He would have preferred it if she had stayed laying on him for a little longer, but he should actually teach her something this time.

He rolled away from her and got to his feet. The shoulder lift? He grinned and chuckled. "That?" He stepped towards her. He didn't know exactly how to tell her. The last time he had been carried somewhere was when he was a child. Standing in front of her, he explained. "Well, the best way to get out of that one. Don't get picked up!" He laughed, thinking it was quite clever. "Stab them before they get close enough to grab you." He'd rather not practice getting stabbed in the gut that night. "But if you do." He put his hand on her shoulders. "There are a few things you can do."

Gripping her shoulders, he swayed her fore and aft. "If they're similar sized or smaller, you can make them fall." He looked down at her dainty figure. She's never gonna be bigger than her attacker. "If you think you can do it so you land on top of them, then go ahead. It might not work out that way though." He let go of her shoulders, standing behind her. He was getting physical with her again, and enjoying every second of it. Quickly he put his hand on her stomach and pulled her against him. He put his arm gently around her neck. "If they can't breath they'll stop hitting you eventually." Sean sighed, thinking back to the time he strangled a man in a brawl. In his defense, he had a dagger to Sean's throat.

He moved his arm from her neck. He didn't want to move away from her, but he had to do for the next lesson. He held her bicep and pushed it it forward so it touched her chin.
"You can move your forward as far as you'd like." He pulled her arm as far as it could go behind her, careful not to hurt her too much. "But only so far backwards. People usually don't want their arms ripped off, so they comply when you pull it behind their back."

There was another move that would make most men stop instantly. Trying to pull their beards out. It was Sean's weakness too, but he didn't want to tell her. He could handle her twisting his arm. He could tolerate being choked. Pulling his beard? He would knock her to the ground.

He put his hand on her cheek and turned her head to the side. Seizing the opportunity he pecked her cheek. "They like to keep their head attached too. They don't want it broken off. Same with an arm, pull it past it's range of motion." He moved to stand in front of her. "If you can't do any of that, just try to grab anything, hit anywhere you can. Be as unpleasant as you can." He waited and let her process what he had just told her. He bent down and flung her upwards, having her on his shoulder again. "Make me put you down."

She smirked a little as it seemed she'd amused him with her request, "Yes. That..." She confirmed as he stepped toward her. It was possible that he didn't think she would remember to ask later, but really she would take anything she could get. She sighed when he told her the best way was to not get caught in the first place, that was a given! She was silent though, listening to his lecture. His advice to stab a person who might grab her made her smile, "You think I'll be able to have access to something pointy and sharp?" There was a hopeful note in her voice, she was pretty sure that wouldn't have been an option. Especially if Michael wouldn't want her to be carry around a weapon.

She waited as he put his hands on her shoulders, "I'm listening," she murmured patiently

She smiled as he went back to the moving her around technique, he sure liked to do it every chance she got. Of course she wasn't complaining because she'd been the one to ask for the hands on approach, but she couldn't help note that he certainly liked doing it.

When he hinted to making someone fall, there was a sparkle in her eye. She was already getting ideas. Alright so that meant if someone like her was small, she just needed to get creative about her strategies. Sean pointed out that she should only attempt if she was sure to land on top, that sounded fair, she nodded.

Eventually when he stood behind her, Mary held very still. She breathed in fast as he pulled her close from behind, every so aware of his hand on her stomach. Then his other arm went around her neck. Instinctively her hands grabbed onto his arm around her neck. She didn't do anything, she was simply considering ahead of time what she would try and do about it. If he was using his full force, she wouldn't easily be able to pull him off her. "Come back to this later," She reminded him.

When he removed his arm from her neck she was about to turn around and face him but she realized he had something else to show her when he moved her bicep toward her chin. Listening to what he said, she nodded,
"right," When he moved her arm back she grimaced but didn't say say anything about pain. "Aye..." She agreed.

She looked at him and smiled when he kissed her cheek. She turned as he moved to face her, and nodded to his final instruction. She was pretty clear on the things she could try now, although she really had to experience and practice it to trust that her body would remember what she needed to do. As he bent down she braced herself to prepare to get picked up again. She grunted as she'd been hoisted onto his shoulder. She wasn't as startled this time because she'd been prepared for it.

(If she's face down on the left side of his shoulder)

"Because it sounded like the best way was to make you lose balance and fall..." she decided to talk this one out, "I'll probably try to get myself toward the back as much as possible... and then.." she trailed off and simultaneously reached down and grabbed the outer-lining of his pants.

Quickly she pulled it up toward her to see if she might budge at all. She was hoping he wouldn't just let slip off his shoulder and and fall toward the ground because she wasn't prepared to fall face first. When she was sure she wouldn't fall, she once again tugged at his pants as hard as she could in an attempt to restrict his balance and move her legs to try to force him to fall forward. (I have no idea if that would work hehe. I was just curious if your character had something in mind.)

When she asked him if she would have access to a weapon, he had to stop and think. There was really no need for her to have one for protection, he was fulfilling that role. Michael wouldn't want her to have one.. what if she used it against him while they were sleeping together? Perhaps she could have one just for training.. it wouldn't be sharp or pointy, but it would be an acceptable substitute for practicing. "Maybe." He left it at that, still being undecided.

He would try to remember that she wanted further lessons on chokeholds. He continued his lecture on being held in the air. When he was finished, he smiled. He mentally prepared for his arm to be pulled back, or his neck twisted. When she was on his shoulder, he was ready for her to put him in a hold of her own.

When she spoke of putting him off balance, he widened his stance for stability. Moving herself to his back? "Yes, there's less they can do of they're on their stomach." He was curious to what she had planned. "Like a dog who can't scratch their neck." He added, not knowing if his analogy of restricted movement made sense.

He felt her grabbing his pants and laughed. "If you wanted them off you could have just asked!" Maybe she had more plans than just a lesson? His pants were feeling tight around him, but it was only uncomfortable not unbearable. He tightened his grip on her, not wanting her to fall on her first attempt. It could demoralize her, and he wanted her to keep a fiery spirit with him. "A little unorthodox but-"(guessing she's looking behind him?)

Feeling her tug on his pants again he paused. He held her tighter, trying to make her stop. The fabric of his pants were cinching around his groin and his grip on her was faltering, her legs moving. "Ah Christ!" He couldn't maintain his stable stance, his knees were bent and brought together. He started to hunch over but quickly stopped. It only brought her forward, pulling on his pants even more. He put his free hand on his knees to try and support his torso and her extra weight. He couldn't keep this up any longer. He reached back to grab her hands, moving his last bit of support. Wobbly legs collapsed under him, the arm that was holding her up was thrown under him to soften the impact.

He laid there in the dirt on his stomach, holding her wrist. "The hell's wrong with you!" He didn't mean it, he was very proud of her ingenuity. He slapped her wrists, making sure she wasn't going to pull them. He felt relieved with the lack of tension on his groin. He sighed, glad it was over. He wasn't phased by the extra weight. She could be on his back as long as she'd like. "You managed to topple Sean Kelly, not many do." It was true, not many put him down. He left out the fact that he let her the first few times. This time she was more responsible for it though, instead of Sean willingly yielding to her.

"However, what if I had thrown myself backwards?" He knows he warned her, but it was one of the few things he wanted to show her hands on. Maybe if they had a pile of straw to land on, but not the hard ground they were on now. If it were anyone else he wouldn't have hesitated to crush them under his back. He had a desire to be gentle with Mary. As gentle as he could be sparring with her.

Last edited:
She wasn't going to push the weapon, perhaps Sean would look into it. Though she thought it would be most unlikely.

Mary had actually laughed an his analogy, but didn't respond as she'd been focused on her task.

She blushed as he jested about her trying to get his pants off, "If I wanted that I would be pushing them down..." she stammered trying to work past her embarrassment. She was glad he didn't let her fall, and she figured that if she was really being kidnapped again in the future, they wouldn't easily let her slip away too. She almost felt bad for trying it this way, because when Sean cursed with a yell she couldn't help but grimace a bit.

Now on his back, she rolled off him and squatted next to him. Hearing him exclaim in question that there was something wrong with her made her pout a little. She poked his cheek, "I don't know I had the idea just then..."

She smirked a bit as he stated that she managed to topple him down, "I have knocked you down a couple times before this..." she said, not getting an idea that he'd been letting her. That was okay, it made sense because she was a beginner after all. She paused when he asked his question, "mmm well..." she eventually shrugged, "I was trying to make you fall forward... is all..." She wasn't really sure what else she would have tried... but she wasn't really wanting to try it again a second time.

She smiled and patted his shoulder, "Well... I expect you would have crushed me!" She even laughed slightly too, "thanks for not crushing me!"

After which she was ready to continue so she stood up, and helped him up if he wanted assistance. It appeared she had a one track mind because she was back to the lesson. When she'd seen that he was recovered, she spoke again just in case he'd forgotten. "I'd like to borrow your arm now..." she said as she turned around, "I'll trust you not to choke me for real, unless you think it was necessary for the lesson." She knew she would need to react quickly if her air was cut off. This time though she would want to pick his brain.

"Considering I most likely won't have anything pointy and sharp, what should I do now?"

He was surprised she even acknowledged what he had said. He couldn't see her blush, but would have loved it if he could.

She answered his question at least. Even when he was resting his head on the ground, he managed to smile when she poked his cheek. "No, you did great. Very creative." It didn't bother him that she was already squatting next to him. He didn't correct her when she said she had knocked him down before.

He grinned as she realized he would have crushed her. She was aware of the risk. Seeing her stand up next to him, he pushed himself up and got on his feet. She wanted even more lessons? He let her borrow his arm, expecting her to twist it. He was pleasantly surprised when she turned around. "I won't." He couldn't choke her. Michael would have him hanged. He wanted to pull her towards him so he would pressed against her. But she wanted to learn, so he would wait until later.

He looped his arm around her neck and put light pressure. "If you're stuck in this situation.. wait for Sean to kill them." He smiled, but felt odd about it. He had no issue speaking of death, but to say he would kill anyone who harmed her. Was he admitting something? He knew she was only learning these lessons to use when he wasn't around. He continued. "If you can't stab them.. hit them in the gut. Even better, grab their balls and yank." Sean quickly brought his legs together to try and protect himself. "Don't you fucking try it!" He doubted she would, but he was cautious.

He smiled, moving his legs back to a normal stance. With a free hand he touched her cheek. He wanted to get back at her. Nothing mean, just enough to bother her. His finger underneath her eye, he continued the lesson. "Jam your fingers in their eyes. They have to let go to get your hand away. Bite their arm. Be nasty." He didn't care too much honor. War is war.

For the next move he wanted to show her he had to let go of her neck. He moved his hand away from her face, putting both on her waist and yanking her against him. "If you can find it." He paused, moving his hand just below her collarbone. His fingers graced the top of her sternum, his other hand still holding her waist. "You can choke them back." He pushed lightly on the soft spot at the base of her neck. "Push it in, he'll let go to punch you for crushing his throat, but he won't be choking you." He couldn't help but notice how close his hand was to her breast. He could move his hand just a little lower.. no, he couldn't! That was a boundary he couldn't cross.

Back