The Scoundrel and the Stick-in-the-Mud x2

KittyInTheHat

A DOLLMAKER WITH MY HAIR??? YAAAAAASSSS
Nova Archer and Alec Calix, brand new top-of-their-class graduates from the
Silverdown Defense Agent Academy have been given their first mission. In secret the two teens have trained to master the supernatural powers that are the prerequisite to be a student within the
SDAA. Now, after eight years of rigorous training, they are set in secret to be the personal bodyguards of Jayden Murray and Karis Ward, the two children of prominent figures in society Matthew and Diane Murray.

Jayden and Karis have responsibilities past being in college--they are to be the emissaries of their parents while the Murray's are in Europe for six years. Appearances at special events and parties where their parents usually would have been are only a small portion of the offspring's duties, although probably the most important. Showing that the children will one day be able to fill their parents' shoes is paramount.

The Murray's have many enemies, and Nova's and Alec's jobs will not be easy. Even harder than they had expected, in fact, but that's a secret that they don't know yet...

Shh, keep the secret, or you might find a wound in your back that has no apparent weapon attached to it...

Name: Nova Archer
Sex: Female
Appearance:
UpboVklAduXtVFlAHlkk8b3om1_GhTuCPu-89ZyljGpEu950_jJJyDMS8NGlhrHZ-Awiv0H_4UXv_z_NMXVkvWXVOy5HTv_sk8VpoCCGaXB8fG_opij80A57ZyADUqUCyN-f-oeT
Powers: Momentum Manipulation -
Nova can cause anything going anywhere at any speed to go faster, slow down, or stop. She can use this ability to go from a standstill to running really fast in an instant (aka superspeed). She can make even a small object do a lot more damage than it should and vise versa.
Other:

Name: Alec Calix
Sex: Male
Appearance:
6UgKiDVehKxe5WGm37v02qgMypbRqENNYtd7l2Bgpce8pqf6sr4RgQYagNqTSj4jyui4xcMOLfgSoKPZJkCNtKwuZkuVtvvC2S_P-xP_SiKFH3lqaqdWMZb6vT_89yvcs5fR-X-Z
Powers: Electrokinesis - Control and Manipulation of lightning and electricity. He mostly does it to mess with the electricity in whatever building or spark people he touches because he’s a jerk, but he can also create, summon, control, and project lightning bolts, make balls of lightning/electricity, and absorb electricity/lightning into his body (aka, he’s immune to it.) He can also use the electricity waves in the air to make himself fly. Sparks appear around him when he does this, so it doesn't look like he is simply flying.
Other:

Last edited:
Name: Jayden Murray
Sex: Male
Appearance:

Powers: Matter (not sure if there is a technical name for this) - Can generate anything from the palm of his hand or destroy anything. He can create and destroy matter. He is restricted to living things, only capable of making/destroying inanimate objects. He rarely uses this simply for fun, but you always know who to ask for a spare pencil.
Other:

Name: Karis Ward
Sex: Female
Appearance:

Powers: Metal manipulation - Can shape and manipulate any metal, bending and controlling it at will. She can deflect bullets and other weapons made of metal, but usually uses her power to crush cans when irritated and mess with people wearing certain jewlery. If wearing steel-toed boots and iron cuffs on her wrists, she can even lift her body into the air.
Other:

The office of the Headmaster was dim--the burgundy wallpaper and dark wood furniture in addition to the poor lighting made the small room even smaller. Alec didn't know why it was so dark, but it didn't bother him a bit as he plucked at the silver loop hanging from his left earlobe and sucked on a butterscotch dum-dum. He also didn't know why there was a bowl of dum-dums on the desk when the mood in the room was clearly serious. Maybe the Headmaster thought that dum-dums would help calm any young students that were brought in here. If the Headmaster wanted that, then why didn't he just change the decor?

Alec stuck his hands in his pockets and began to wander the room. No one was here yet, which he thought strange. Why wasn't the Headmaster in his office two minutes before the time that Alec and the other graduate that had been picked were supposed to arrive?

Alec was curious about who the other graduate would be. He had heard that it would be a girl. A mischievous grin made him tuck the dum-dum into one cheek. It was good news. Almost every female over the age of fifteen had been pressed against a wall or door between his arms at least once. Usually a lot more often than that. His mind scrolled through the inventory of girls that had fallen for him. He was the professional disrespective smartass of the school, and most of the girls found the hot bad boy sexy, and tried to get his attention. They got it. Most times when Vulcan skipped class you could find him in a closet with a pretty girl. Unlike some guys, he strung them along instead of leaving them and making them bitter. He was a smooth talker and was great about explaining to girls that he helped a lot of other students with their homework and that's why he was always around other girls. He was careful not to be touching the girl he was currently with when another of his girls passed by. They ate it up, but he knew that some of them only did it because they liked him too much to give him up by arguing with him.

Would it be Nicole? Skye? Clover? Abigail? I don't care a lot, but some girls fit in my arms better than others. He smiled at his mostly family-friendly mental description and closed his eyes. Dropping into the Headmaster's chair and setting his feet on the desk, Alec encouraged his mind to wander through his many and varied romantic exploits.

The door began to open and Alec's eyes drifted open, a pleasant flush on his cheeks. He heard a deep man's voice, obviously the Headmaster's, and then a female voice replied the Headmaster and Alec frowned slightly. He didn't know the voice. Strange.

When the door was open fully the intimidating bulk of Headmaster Bill Wendil entered the room. He blinked at Alec through his glasses, then scowled. "Calix, feet on the floor."

Alec rolled his eyes, but did as he was told and stood, stepping out of the way as well. He knew not to mess with the Headmaster--who was a telepath and could speak within someone's mind. When he was having a particularly emotional moment he could even control someone's actions. Alex had only been a problem for the Headmaster to his face twice. Twice was double what he had needed, but his instinct was to be a problem, so he had slipped up once.

The Headmaster sat and looked at the door. "Miss Archer, please enter."

It was then that Alec realized that the girl had yet to even step into the room. She was in shadow past the doorway and Alex wasn't able to tell who she was. He cast a smile at the shadow that always sent any girls who saw it practically into a fit at the shape. He leaned against the desk and crossed his arms. "I know, I know, I'm amazing, but you don't have to be afraid to come in. I promise I won't hurt you... unless you want me to." He winked.

"Excuse me?" The girl's tone was ice cold and hard as marble.

Alec had never had this response from a girl when he used that line. He wasn't sure what to say. "Uh..."

The girl stepped into the light and Alec's eyes shot upward. It was Nova Archer! One of the very few girls ever to resist him. Actually, she had done more than resist him. She had slapped him! And swore at him! And told him that if he every touched her she would remove that arm from his body and throw it to the crocodiles that were sometimes used as part of their training!

Alec's head spun toward the Headmaster. "Please tell me she isn't the one going with me! Please, Headmaster, tell me this is a prank!"

The Headmaster shook his head. "This is no joke, Mr. Calix. I know she isn't your first pick, but she graduated top of her class and a year early than the rest of you and is an excellent choice of bodyguard for Mr. Murray and Miss Ward."

"But--!"

"No buts, Mr. Calix. She is the one going with you."

Alec grimaced horribly, and a current of electricity flew through the air, and Alec's hair was pulled from his short ponytail and fluffed up like a dandelion.

Nova burst into peals of laughter that made her bend over. Alec's eyes blazed and he strode over to the younger girl. He touched her and she yelped, standing straight and jumping away. Her hair now matched Alec's, and he crossed his arms and smirked.

Now Nova was the one to appeal to the Headmaster. While running her hands through her hair she tried to talk the man out of his decision. Alec took this time to really look at the girl. He had already known she was pretty, with flowing golden hair and a gorgeous face. Her form was slight, more like a girl's than a woman's, although by now she should be fully formed. Her chest was small under a fitted light-blue blouse with wide ruffles along the top, but her long, sleek legs were bare below khaki shorts. She wore lip-color that wasn't quite lipstick or gloss. Probably tinted lipbalm, Alec decided.

By this time Nova's pleas had been firmly declined, and she had noticed Alec's attention. She glared up at him and poked him in the chest with a delicate finger. "Keep your filthy gaze off of me, Calix, or do I need to renew my threat?"

Alec smiled slightly and shook his head. "Nah, no need."

Nova didn't look comforted by his response and she grabbed a fistful of his shirt and jerked him down to her level. "You need to take my words seriously. I will seriously hurt you if you don't keep your hands and your eyes to yourself, so no more male gazing."

"Male gazing?" asked Alec with laughter in his voice. "Did you really just say that?"

Nova let go of his shirt and punched him as hard as she could in the face. Alec yelped and tumbled to the floor. He gazed up at her, mouth open, holding a bleeding nose.

"That was only a taste of what I can do to you if you dare to make fun of me again."

"Okay, okay!" Alec stood slowly, head raised to keep the bleeding back.

The Headmaster handed him a tissue and watched as Alec pushed it into his nostrils. He handed Nova another tissue and she whipped her fist free of the blood, looking furiously at her to-be partner.

"I think that's enough, now," said Headmaster. "Mr. Murray and Miss Ward should be here any moment."

It was then someone knocked on the door. Though, whoever it was seemed to be a bit impatient and simply opened the door themselves. And there stood Karis Ward and Jayden Murray.

Karis had her eyes narrowed and her jaw set since she didn't really appreciate the idea of having some teens her own age be her bodyguards. Personally, she didn't think they needed bodyguards at all! She was plenty strong enough to take care of both of them and have their backs! Of course, keeping her out of trouble may be a task unfit for Jayden all the time.

She had her arms crossed, wearing a tight, long-sleeved shirt that showed most of her stomach and a lot of her chest, as well as a pair of dark skinny jeans and black boots that go up to her knees. She was definitely the most drop-dead gorgeous thing to walk Earth - at least, that's what she thought. Jayden, on the other hand, wasn't showing quite as much. He had on a pair of worn jeans, a black shirt, and a jacket. He smiled over Karis's shoulder, his smile bright and practically lighting the dark room.

Karis was too busy thinking about how pointless this was, but when she saw a somewhat attractive male with bloody tissues shoved up his nose, she couldn't help but scoff and laugh. Jayden stepped past her into the room, trying to ask her politely to be nice, but she just stuck her tongue out at him.

Jayden smiled first at the headmaster, "Ah, thank you for having us!" He looked at the graduates, "It's a pleasure to meet you guys."

When her brother nudged her, she stood up straight and cleared her throat quietly, "Yeah, uh, whatever he said." She bumped the door shut behind her with her hip and invited herself over to grab a dum-dum, blue raspberry flavored. She unwrapped it and stuck the candy in her mouth, attempting to put the wrapper in her pocket but it missed and fell to the ground. Jayden was quick to lean down and grab it, tossing it into the trashcan.

Alec's first impression of his two customers was that the girl was far hotter than she should be for them to have a proper business relationship--not that Alec had a problem with that. The boy looked like the nicer of the two, but Alec didn't care a lot for niceness. It had it's place, but he would have liked Jayden Murray better if he had an obviously dirty mind.

He shrugged mentally and watched as Nova went to both of their charges and stuck out her hand. The thin Bangles on her left wrist tinkled like delicate wind chimes as she extended it.

"My name is Nova Archer. I hope I will be up to your expectations as a defense agent, and if I don't, I will improve."

Alec snorted out his tissue and looked away. As the blood started to drip again he rolled his eyes and reached up. Sticking two fingers into his nostrils, he closed his eyes and concentrated. This part of his power had always been his bane, but that also meant that he had gotten more practice with it. Within seconds he felt a tingle in his nose. He sneezed, but kept the fingers there. His eyes started to water, and he sneezed again. Finally, he removed his fingers and wiped them on a tissue. He dabbed away the remaining blood on his nose and wiggled it around.

"There, good as new," he said quietly.

Jayden smiled and gently, but firmly, took Nova's hand to shake it. His was obviously a lot bigger than her's.

"My name is Jayden, and this is Karis. Not sure what you may or may not have heard about us, but I'm the nice one." He chuckled.

Looking at her, he thought she was very pretty, though, she also seemed very serious about her training and work, therefore she probably doesn't have a significant other.

Meanwhile, Karis had watched the whole process with Alec in disgust, her expression obviously showing such, and held the stick of her sucker. She turned her attention to Jayden and Nova, mentally thinking of ways to make fun of that boy for "picking his nose".

Jayden took his hand from Nova and turned to shake Alec's hand, but Karis placed her's over his and lowered his arm, whispering, "I suggest you don't."

He rose an eyebrow at his sister, silently asking why, in which she simply smirked and said, "He picks his nose."

Last edited:
Nova felt a strange feeling when Jayden's hand swallowed hers and he looked at her with gentle russet-colored eyes. She struggled to maintain eye contact and knew she didn't completely prevent a faint blush appearing on her cheeks. She didn't like this reaction. This wasn't the response to an innocent handshake between two people that would absolutely be in a business relationship. She hoped he hadn't noticed her blush.

Alec snorted as he approached, having overheard Kalis's comment. "For your information, gorgeous, I was performing a rather tricky healing session on my nose because someone," he shot a glare at Nova out of the corner of his eye, "broke it when she didn't realize that a poor guy is joking."

"You weren't joking," growled Nova.

"Who knows? Maybe I was! Perhaps you broke my nose for no reason. How does that make you feel about your chances to empress these guys? Wounding a comrade... Tsk tsk."

Nova's fists clenched by her sides and her breathing was audible, but she didn't reply. She turned back to the siblings. "Believe me, Mr Murray and Miss Ward, I tried to appeal to Headmaster for another partner, but he is determined to keep things the way they are."

Jayden had noticed the slight pink in Nova's cheeks, but he wasn't quite sure what it had meant. He'd just been hoping that she wasn't catching a cold, but it disappeared as the conversation shifted.

After a quiet moment, Jayden smiled again, "It's alright, I'm sure he's very talented and great at what he does. If Mr. Wendil here thinks he's the correct choice, then I'm sure he is the best choice as your partner."

As Jayden spoke, Karis was thinking about how she didn't mind being called gorgeous - at least this boy could appreciate her good looks. She turned her head to look at Nova, her gaze piercing and very judgemental. While Jayden may not have thought about that little bit of blush, Karis already had an idea and wasn't sure how she felt about it. She decided she'd think about it later, turning her attention to twirling her sucker over her tongue.

Last edited:
The headmaster cleared his throat and everyone looked at him. He gestured to the four chairs in front of his desk. "Please sit." Once the foursome was settled the headmaster linked his fingers and set his elbows on his desk.

"Mr. Calix, Miss Archer, your charges are in college, thus you will enter as well. You will do whatever you have to to make sure tat your classes coincide with theirs. I don't want them to spend a moment separate from one of you in public. And in private you will live together in an apartment not far from the school."

Nova's face remained calm enough until the final sentence was spoken. Then her mouth dropped open and with the briefest flick of the eyes looked at Alec's smirk. She nearly sprang to her feet to protest, but she managed to remain seated. "B-But Headmaster... please... isn't there another way for us to be close to them without sharing an apartment? It would be horrible!" She disproved of how desperate her voice sounded, but it portrayed her emotions very accurately.

"Oh, I dunno," said Alec, placing one foot on his other knee and cupping the back of his head. "It sounds fun." He gave Karis one of his Looks. "I can think of some definite advantages to sharing apartments."

Nova turned on him, her face scarlet. "I refuse to live in the same set of rooms with you! I won't have your hands and your mind through only one wall at night!"

Alec burst into laughter, but it cut short when he heard the headmaster's voice.

"Are you refusing a direct order, Miss Archer?"

The tone was calm, but it promised danger if she didn't comply.

Nova blanched and shook her head. "No, Headmaster."

"Good. The apartment has four bedrooms so none of you will have to share a room. The complex is in a nice area of town and has many accoutrements that I think you will find to your liking."

Karis found their arguing quite amusing, busying herself with checking the state of her nails as Nova seemed to settle down. This would be quite interesting, maybe fun. Maybe having bodyguards wouldn't be so bad, especially considering those bodyguards were these two. She crossed her arms, drumming her fingers against her bicep.

Jayden smiled at Nova, "Hey, it'll be fine! You girls can have your own respective space if you like."

Karis looked up, "Hm? Oh, I don't really care."

Jayden suddenly looked very determined, "Well, I'll try to stay out of your way if that's what you wish - at least, in private."

The corner of his sister's lips turned up as she thought, I doubt she'll want that. Maybe she'll want to stay away from Alec- What is it with those two? She turned her head to look at the boy in question. After a moment of thinking, it seemed as if a thought crossed her mind that was actually helpful and she sat up a bit.

"Hey, what about their powers?" As she spoke she had pulled the sucker from her mouth and waved it around in front of her dramatically.

Alec pushed the chair off the floor a bit with the one foot on the floor and said to Karis, "You haven't guessed by now what mine is?"

Nova sneered. "Judging by what she's seen so far she'll think your power in healing through disgusting ways."

Alec snorted and stood. "Oh, very well," he said dramatically. "Because you are such a wonderful audience, I'll show you." He set his palms parallel to each other with about a foot of space between them. He looked at his hands, then suddenly a bright yellow light flashed in his eyes and a ball of crackling energy sprang to life inbetween his hands. He let it grow, then shrink. Moving it to one hand he tossed the ball between his hands and then spun it like a basketball on one finger.

He never looked away from his ball of lightning, a look of pure joy on his face, opening it up to show more than just the outward appearance that everyone first saw. He tossed the ball into the air and lifted off the ground to catch it. Sparks danced about his feet as he fly around the tiny room, the ball still in his hands.

Then his eyes settled on Nova and a nasty little smile replaced the one of joy. He shot the ball of lightning toward her. Nova didn't move an inch, simply watching the ball of energy charging toward her. Before the headmaster or anyone else could do anything the ball hit Nova!

Or... it should have.

Nova now stood with one hand, palm out, at chest level. Her face didn't have a single reaction as she watched Alec's gaping mouth behind his ball of lightning that had frozen stock still inches from her face. "Try harder next time," she said simply and with the movement of one finger, sent Alec's ball right back at him. He didn't move either, even when the ball hit him square in the chest. It didn't have any affect on him at all, and fizzled out with a few sparks. He still stared at her.

Karis had watched the whole thing in interesting, even applauding at the end. That was pretty cool, and he could fly? Please, he wasn't special - she could fly, too.

Meanwhile, Jayden had been severely worried for everyone's safety, especially Nova's when the ball of electricity made its way toward her. When the show was over, he gathered that no one seemed to be hurt, minus a little bit of Alec's pride. He felt he thoroughly understood Alec's power, but he had a few questions regarding Nova's.

He grinned, intrigued, "How'd you do that? Can you do that with other things or just specifics?"

Karis smirked and her finger twitched, giving the silver ring attached to Alec's left ear a small tug, "Cat got your tongue, buddy boy~?"

Nova looked at Jayden, surprised. "Err... It's just my power. I can stop or slow down or make something faster. I can make something that should have little affect make a lot of affect and vise versa. It isn't telekinesis, despite what people think. I can't move things with my mind. I just have control over momentum."

Alec yelped and dropped unceremoniously to the floor in a heap. He felt his ear, eyes wide and uncomprehending. Then he looked up and locked eyes with Karis. His eyes grew wider still and he jumped to his feet. "Do you have powers too?" he cried. "Headmaster," he spun to look at the man, his red hair flying out in an arc, "did you assign us people who have powers of their own?"

Jayden remained grinning, "That's so cool, definitely helps with keeping yourself protected!"

Karis smirked a little more, "Why yes, we do~" She then pointedly glared at Jayden, "Which is why I don't think we really need bodyguards." Her voice was a lot more stern than her last sing-song statement.

Jayden looked at his sister and shook his head, "C'mon, it's a good idea, Karis. Our parents have bodyguards, so wouldn't it be smart if we do, too?"

"No offensive to Mom and Dad, but they're weak. I could fight anyone off I wanted to!"

"Mhm, another reason we need to have Nova and Alec around! To keep you out of fights!"

Karis scoffed, "Excuse me, but I see nothing wrong-"

Jayden rolled his eyes and lowered his voice as he spoke to her, "Shush, let's at least get through this meeting without yelling, alright?" He didn't say it quietly so the other's wouldn't hear, it was just a habit of hoping she'd imitate him.

Karis just huffed and crossed her arms.

Alec watched this exchange with skepticism. Honestly, though, Karis had a point. Why were they being sent to protect these two? If they had powers like Karis said they did, then what was the point for them to be protected by people with more powers? Their parents needed bodyguards, so what? If they didn't have powers then of course they needed protection.

And honestly, he didn't think he and Nova would be able to keep Karis out of a fight if she wanted to be in one.

"With permission, I would like to speak," said Nova. She was looking back and forth between the headmaster and Jayden. Obviously, she had pegged him as the leader. The headmaster was the first to nod and Nova turned fully to Jayden and his sister. "With all due respect," she said, "we are trying to keep powers a secret from the rest of the world. If the ordinary humans knew that there were people with superpowers that could easily take over any government, or even the whole world, if they banned together to do it, we would be hunted down like animals. If not killed, then we would be taken to labs to see if the source of our power could be replicated so everyone in power, whether martial, political, or commercial could have powers like we do.

"Mr. Calix and I have been trained in defense in other ways than our powers. Those are the last resort if all else fails. I'm sure your parents want your powers kept as a closely guarded secret, so they wanted you two to have bodyguards that could use powers in an emergency, but would stick to more conventional ways of defense in all other times. If we are to do our jobs then you must keep your powers a secret. If word of your abilities reaches anyone in power they would command a force to capture you that Mr. Calix and I could not stop.

"So, please, do not reveal your abilities to anyone at any time for any reason. Leave your defense to us and we will keep you safe." She smiled at Karis, who had been the focus of most of her attention as she had spoken.

Karis didn't like that this had all been directed at her. She'd heard this speech before, of course, and she was tempted to snap at her and say something like, "Well no shit!" But throughout the whole thing, Jayden had politely smiled and nodded along, so he would probably scold her later for being snappy.

By the end, she just huffed and rolled her eyes, "I'm not stupid enough to use them in front of regular people..."

Jayden smiled, looking at his sister, "Of course not, no one said you were. She was just going over it for our safety, Karis."

"Blah blah blah-"

"Hey, be nice." He turned his attention back to Nova, "Thank you." He then looked at the Headmaster, "Well, is there anything else you'd like to go over before we head out to the apartment?"

The headmaster stood from his chair. "No, I think that's it. Mr. Calix, Miss Archer, I expect weekly reports unless something happens, in which case I will require daily reports."

Nova nodded solemnly. "Yes, Headmaster."

Alec gave a goofy salute and bowed deeply. "But of course, Headdude."

Headmaster Bill Wendil scowled and Alec quickly dropped the goofy smile. " Ah... hahaha... Yes, Headmaster."

The headmaster nodded, then gestured at the door. "A car is waiting outside."

"Thank you, sir," said Nova and led the way out of the room.

"One car?" asked Alec once the door was shut behind them. He gave Karis a playful smirk. "It'll be tight in there, I bet."

"It's a limo," said Nova flatly as she began walked down the hall. "And you won't be sitting next to her."

"Oh really? And what say do you have in that choice?"

Nova glanced over her shoulder. "Because if you sit next to her I'll break your arm."

"Awww is ooo jehlous?"

Nova dug something out from her pocket, stopped and, without looking back, tossed the thing over her shoulder. Alec couldn't see what was flying right for him before he felt a pain in his gut and he flew back, thudding against the door to the headmaster's office. He wheezed and felt on his stomach. A circle no larger than that of a silverfish hole was gone from his teeshirt. He lifted his shirt and fingered the hole in his chiseled abs tenderly. It was slowly leaking blood. He looked up at Nova, shocked at first and then glaring.

"That hurt, dammit! Is it still in there? What was that anyway?"

Nova had turned back and was smirking at Alec. She fished in her pocket and brought out another of those things. It was a tiny piece of gravel. "Yeah, it's probably still in there," she said jovially. "If it went all the way through you'd be feeling a lot more pain than you are right now."

Alec winced when getting to his feet. He put his finger against the wound and inhaled through a hiss as he pressed it in. Breathing deeply, he squeezed his eyes shut, and a moment later there was a tiny tink as the piece of gravel hit the metal floor. When he opened his eyes there was death in them.

Nova set her hands on her hips. "There. All better. It's not like I did any permanent damage. There's not a lot I can do to you that will be permanent. I won't poke out an eye. You can't heal from that, correct?"

Alec's fists were tight and he spoke through clenched teeth. "No, I can't grow an eye back. Can you?"

"Oh please," said Nova. "Unless you want to get arrested you won't attack me." She faked a yawn. "Anyway, I'm tired of this pointless back and forth. I can't hurt you permanently and you can't seriously harm me or you'll get stuck in prison, so why are we fighting?" She turned away and kept walking.

Alec followed her, death still in his gaze. He mumbled something under his breath that wasn't audible, and it was a good thing it wasn't.

Jayden watched between the two with a frown, their bickering reminding him of his relationship with his sister. Although, they didn't actually cause each other harm. If this continued, then their living environment wasn't going to be very fun. Though, it was interesting to see someone sticking up for Karis who wasn't him, much less trying to get a boy to stop flirting with her. Yes, it's unprofessional and they just met, but he'd given up on keeping boys away from her long ago.

As they walked out, he glanced at Karis, who was eyeing Alec. He cleared his throat, "Why don't we try to keep this professional? I'd really rather no more fighting than necessary, please."

Karis blinked back to look at Jayden, "I think it's funny."

He muttered, "It's uncomfortable... I don't like unnecessary bloodshed."

"Lighten up a bit! She's just trying to teach him a lesson~"

"That's not how you learn a lesson."

"How do you teach a dog to use the bathroom only outside?" Was she using a metaphor to compare Alec to a dog or had she coincidentally used this as an example?

Jayden rose an eyebrow, "Ah, you lead him outside when he has to use the restroom."

"Yes," Karis nodded. "But, what about when he goes inside?"

Jayden hesitated, quiet for a moment. He knew where she was going with this and was happy to change the subject as they came out to the limo.

Alec sulked all the way to the limo, but he forgot to act pathetic when he saw their ride. He had never seen a limo up close and he was pretty sure this was more than just your everyday limo. The driver got out and opened the door to let them get in. Alec gaped while this was being done. All of this just because their assignments were rich? This might have more upsides than he thought.

He eyed the siblings when they were all settled, and despite his best efforts, he and the lovely Miss Karis weren't sitting next to each other. They didn't look particularly rich. Yes, their clothes were definitely of higher quality than anything he had to wear, but other than that they didn't look any different than he and Nova did... aside from the obvious attractiveness gap between he and Jayden and Karis and Nova. He smiled to himself and looked out the window behind him as rain started to fall. The car hadn't left yet, and Alec was beginning to wonder why before a slam shook the car. The inhabitants jumped.

"It's the trunk," said Nova as soon as she had recovered. "They just finished putting our bags in the trunk," she said, looking up at Alec. Alec nodded, but didn't say anything. The realization that he hadn't thought once about where the bags that he had packed earlier were annoyed him. If there hadn't been someone there to grab them he would've ridden away, leaving everything he owned behind.

The limo started then. The engine purred as it carried the four passengers on their way to their new life.

"So, Karis," said Alec after a while. Nova shot a warning glance at him, but he didn't look at her. "I know that you were able to move my earring," he brushed his fingers behind the strands of his hair and felt the earring in question, "but I want to know how." He crossed his legs at the knee. "What's your power?"

Back