The South Quarter

"Aw yeah, sounds like a plan," Ira beamed, swinging up to his feet and stretching. "Let's go kick some ass and take some names. These people aren't gonna know what's hit 'em." As Thomas went for the door, Ira followed, golden eyes glinting with eager anticipation. This was gonna be good.

The girl smiled in his direction for a moment before turning her attentions back to the outside world. She spent an hour or so like such before her eyes simply could not remain open any longer. She drifted off to sleep, her head dipping into her chest and against the wall as sleep took her to a dreamless black.

--

True to his word, Assassin woke her up well before the servants with relative ease. It would seem our frail magus was also a light sleeper. Silently, she slid from the window and to her closet to dress. Afterward, she dumped her backpack of its school books and unfinished homework. She would not be needing those anymore, she thought with mild sense of sadness. Instead, she started stuffing the bag with small items that would prove useful to a mage. Crystals filled with prana, a couple of books for magical studies, and a few other knicknacks, including her medication. She hadn't planned on leaving the house as a base yet, but it would be beneficial to start preparing for it.

She hid her school books and other items in her closet, then motioned for Assassin to follow but stay hidden as she snuck out of the house. It had been good timing, as the nurse had just rounded the corner of her hallway when Chloe rounded the opposite end. Apparently, she had done this a few times.

Once outside, the girl let out a relieved sigh. "Successful escape number 38." She grinned to the air. "I think you should stick near me today. As much grounds as we could cover separating.. I do not think you would like a repeat of your last master. Let's play it a tad safe, alright?"

She looked up to the still dark sky. "You said you found three of the servants in town the other day. Do you think that they could be housed near that location? Or do you think we should try elsewhere first?"

@Ver

"My thoughts exactly," Assassin said, remaining in spirit form and following along as Chloe suggested they stick together for the time being, his echoing voice only audible to his Master. He was silently amused by the sight when he witnessed Chloe gather her belongings earlier in the morning, resisting the urge to whistle in an impressed tone; he hadn't expected her to have prana crystals just lying around, but alas, perhaps it should have been expected. After all, she was so sure before about becoming a Master for this War... Maybe it should have gone without saying that she'd be prepared, but kids were always oft too overconfident for their own good.

But she was already proving to be a rather interesting Master to serve under.

When Chloe asked her later questions, Assassin obliged her with his answers. "It is a possibility that each of the Servants could be based nearby. Considering that nearly half of our fellow participants were just about there, I think... it should be likely that at least one of them was bound to be settled nearby. Besides, being based in that area has its perks, between the ever busy streets and the ability to hide in plain sight... You know, for Servants who don't have Presence Concealment..." He said, seeming to opt for poking around where he was last night.

@Knosis

The red head pushed her glasses up her nose. "Great! Then that is where we will start." She grinned again, one of those almost pretty smiles. "Maybe we'll run into Saber or one of the other knight classes. I don't think I'd be too opposed to making a pack with any of them to be honest. But Saber is the goal. Would you be able to recognize her if you saw her again?" She asked.

She paused and grimaced. She gazed back at the house forlornly. Going back now would most definitely get her caught. But having a car would have been beneficial. She mentally sighed and began to walk towards the northern end of town.

"I'll be able to catch a cab closer to town..." She reasoned.

@Ver

Assassin's lips curled slightly (at least, in his mind), as though holding back a wry smirk, as Chloe brought up Saber, the spirit letting out a soft, amused breath in the girl's head. "Certainly. I don't think I'd be able to forget a face such as hers, though for better or for worse, she has yet to take notice of me -- perhaps that can be said to be the story of my life -- nor have any of the other Servants. If we did come across her again, perhaps we'd do well to... talk with her, hmm? ...Or, well, any other Servant for that matter," He suggested, before Chloe suddenly stopped, a gesture that briefly mystified the Servant until she spoke again about catching a ride.

"Hooh? A sound idea. Do you have money for such a service, or are you counting on my talents to muscle a poor driver into getting what you want for free?" He asked half-jokingly with a dry tone, continuing to follow along his Master like the formless ghost he essentially was at the moment.

@Knosis

"No, I was planning on using my womanly wiles to charm an individual into giving us a free ride. Though, you're good looking enough I could use you to flirt too, if their tastes swing that way."

She was proud to say she kept a straight face while saying that. The girl just knew she wasn't what anyone thought of as desirable, or so she thought at any rate. Assassin on the other hand, might have worked though. She grinned impishly to the air. "Of course I have money to pay for the ride. Though don't let me stop you if you feel like dotting an eye of some poor soul who vexes you. I think I can trust you're sensible enough not to go around starting fights willy nilly with anyone outside of our little war of ours without just cause." She pulled her headset over one ear and started the music, then pulled her hood over her red hair.

It was quite a while, before they skirted on the edge of the main part of town and she finally was able to hail a cab. By this point, she was rather pale. "Take me to the northern quarter please."

@Ver

"We are truly unstoppable together, seducing everyone left and right," Assassin only said to Chloe initially, "And don't worry. I wouldn't consider myself an easily vexed soul, and perhaps that's to the fortune of everyone else, all things considered. But if I were to be so vexed... Well, Hell truly hath no fury like a Heroic Spirit scorned," he said, before falling silent once again and continuing to follow the redheaded girl.

By the time Chloe had reached for a cab and gotten in, Assassin naturally tagging along as well, he had taken notice of the girl's pale turn, and if only for the sake of conversation, decided to speak up. "Are you feeling well, Master? You've turned as pale as a ghost, and I ought to know a thing or two about ghosts from my time," he said with a light breath, as if to undermine the seriousness in his own initial tone.

@Knosis

She pushed her glasses up to the bridge of her nose as she settled into the seat. She looked outside, seemingly mindlessly taking in the scenery around them as they began to drive off towards the north. The driver did not seem to be one of those interesting conversationalists, and turned up the music to avoid conversation completely. This was perfectly fine with Chloe, and she muttered under her breath. "Vix parvam stillam.."

Her next words were not out of her mouth, but Assassin heard them clear enough.

'Ghosts, hm? So there are true ghosts in your world?' She asked, avoiding his question altogether. 'Could you tell me a bit about your world? Or are you so inclined to keep everything about you a secret?' She smiled.

@Ver

If Assassin was in his corporeal state, he might have done something to the degree of pursing his lips visibly, catching on to Chloe evading his inquiry, but deciding not to push it any further. Instead, he focused on what she did have to say to him, letting out a nostalgic sigh as he was asked to recount what it was like in his old life.

"Well... Maybe I'll reserve the finer details of my world for when we've... bonded to a greater degree, but yes, you could say that there were such creatures from my world such as ghosts, ghouls, and other sorts of monsters," the Heroic Spirit explained, digging into his memory for what he could recall off the top of his head, "A werewolf here, a demon there, and yet, there was little more terrifying than the sort of vampire that commanded them all from atop."

"You could say I was a... public servant, who had dedicated my life to ridding the good public of the monsters that would terrorize them, most powerful of all being the vampire, be them Dead Apostles or dare I even venture beyond that level. Of course, they often underestimated me -- after all, how could a lowly human stand up against such fearsome children of the night? -- and it would prove to be a fatal flaw. Especially when I used the one weapon that... well, may or may not be what I depend on as my Noble Phantasm as I am now. Is that quite enough?"

@Knosis

Chloe smiled softly. 'Sounds like a fantasy world. Yes, that is quite enough, thank you. I honestly didn't expect you to share much with me at all.' The color was returning to her cheeks slowly.

'Your world sounds more interesting than this one, at least. It is my hope that when I do die, I am reborn in a world like that.' She said. 'Selfish of me, I know, as I only seem to know the comforts of this world. I wouldn't know the dangers that your world provided. Perhaps if I was born in that world, I wouldn't want to live that life. But..' She bit her lip. 'Something is got to be better than this stagnate world.'

She fell silent as the cab turned the corner to the Northern District.

@Ver

Allie had waited uncomfortably long for a response from Beserker, but had nothing. She stopped and turned, and the composed face twisted into an almost childish frustration.

“God DAMNIT! First I get a lame excuse of a heroic spirit and then they don’t even stick around?” Green pitched one of her steel spheres into the dirt in what was effectively a tantrum. “Ruler! How am I supposed to win without a spirit!” She kicked a rock aside and scooped up the metal ball, letting out a melodramatic exasperated sigh as she regained her composure.

“This is ridiculous. Whatever, I’ll figure out a way to get through, I always have.” She began to wander, even further back than square one.

"Interesting?" Assassin initially responded as Chloe spoke, before letting out an amused breath, "Hmph, yes. I suppose that is one way of describing it. Hardly ever a dull moment. Indeed, you would likely have faced much hardship and danger even in my world, but then... Well, I would have been absolutely sure to protect someone like you if you were ever in such a world. Just as I live to protect you now," he continued, his voice slowly shifting from relaxed to more firm and determined, like a calm, yet powerful force of nature. He took notice of the color returning to Chloe's complexion, but again decided to say nothing. At least this seemed like a good sign.

As the cab began to turn and go on with its destination, he made an audible breath again. "How much longer will this trip be? These infernal horseless carriages are a definite step down if you ask me," he grumbled impatiently, as though growing restless at the prospect of continuing to remain in spirit form.

@Knosis

The sound of a motorcycle roared down the street. Where the hell Ruler got himself a bike, who knows. But he was seriously tired of traveling everywhere by foot. And back in his world? He had loved riding his own towards the end of his time. And so this lovely thing was a wonderful acquisition.

He pulled up beside Allie and gave her a look. "Beginning to think you're cursed. Hop on. I have another servant for you who's now masterless." He handed her a helmet.

@glmstr

"Let's hope this one isn't gonna bail on me too. This is starting to get old," Allie reluctantly clambered onto the motorcycle and donned the helmet. It was ruffling her mousy hair in a way she didn't like, but she would have to deal with it. In the end, she was getting the chance for loads of cash after all.

The old man snorted and roared the engine. "Ye think et's gettin' old for you, eh?" He groused. "This wasn't wot I signed up fer in the first place. 'old on tight now." Without waiting to see if she actually holds on, the bike surged forward as if it'd been shot from a rocket. He took a few corners a bit tightly, narrowly missing several pedestrians, and then headed out of the city as if his tail was on fire.

Last edited:
Back