The Scarletverse The Threads That Bind Us

Teeloffel

This is a short story, not a roleplay. I do not accept any replies here that are in IC. (without planning beforehand)

Date: 4th of April 2027 - Location: --- Downtown Newport....

0138ac93229bcb93a58c14c344c17412.jpg

The crimson rain filled the streets of Newport with water, rinsing the concrete of the blood. He got up from the ground to throw another punch, barely missing his target, and falling into the trash can opposite the man. His friends were ridiculing them and their dance. The man was playing with him, like a toy.

A few minutes before the confrontation the young boy was picking up a wallet he had found in an alley. It was wet, it had laid in a puddle presumably all morning. The wallet was weighted, it weighed almost more than a stone. What was in it? As the young boy opened it with his dirty fingers he found some change, a passport that had its details washed away by the rain and a note. As he opened the note he heard a sharp noise behind him and as he looked back the note was out of his hand.

Footsteps were approaching from behind him. Out of the shadows, they came. Four members of an adolescent group all twice as tall and strong as the kid. They had a violent presence about them as if they weren't going to pass him when they encountered him. A few words and laughs were exchanged between them before one of them spoke up.

"You seem lost, kid. This ain't no place for a little youngster for you to be fooling around in" said the man with the spikiest hair, as if that was any indication.

The child looked sharply behind him and realized they were far closer than what he had thought. Seeing as he had certainly no way to get out of the alley before they could grab him he only sat still and observed where the situation would go from there. Him getting up was apparently the instigator for the fight. It wasn't a fight, more so a beating.

After a few bloody hard hits, the kid was on the ground, having lost the wallet in the process. He looked around on the concrete for it but it was nowhere to be found. He looked to his left, the bustling megacity of Newport with its several layers of highway, streets, and transportation. He looked to his left, a deep and dark alleyway filled with dumpster fires and drug gatherings further down, descending into the ground. Above him was a several stories tall apartment building meant to house mentally ill patients. The steel staircase could be a way for him to escape he thought as he got up to meet the gaze of the men.

The man who had knocked him down grabbed the kid by the throat and plunged him into the brick wall, breaking many of his ribs. As he fell down, a bloody mark could be seen on the wall. He wasn't sure he was going to survive this. The kid had lived on the streets for a long time and had encountered several thugs, at least as violent as these but none tho would actively try to kill him. He didn't go by a name on the streets, he was only Young, Kid, Buddy something along the lines of that. Not all that uncommon names for a 15-year-old.

He got up even if he felt his ribs cutting into his chest. The blood was running from several wounds he had gotten on his sides. He held down into the wound, it was filled with broken glass pieces. His hands were bloodied. He looked up into the Night Sky and could see the Full Moon above him as well as a shadow atop the building. The kid squinted to get a closer look at the figure but before he had the chance it was gone. The biggest of the gang approached him.

"You have a lot of balls to get up from a hit like that. You know you're just a worthless piece of trash, right? You were left on the street, kid. No one wants you." the large muscular bald titan said to the bleeding kid.

He couldn't have told you how it happened but in an instant all 4 of the gang was on the ground, bleeding and moaning in pain. The kid looked around. He looked up and saw nothing but the moon and the stars. As he looked back towards the ground, the bodies were swiftly gone. He stumbled out of the alley into the streets, bleeding as he went along.

"I wouldn't walk into the street looking like that" a soft feminine voice whispered in his ear.

He swiftly looked around to find nothing but an empty alley. He could feel a presence in his area. Not again, he thought. He had been beaten enough, he just wanted to lay down even if it was his bug-infested dirty mattress in his hideout beneath the boardwalk.

The womanly voice was given form as he turned around again facing the alley. A woman in a dark robe filled with etchings and writings. She looked like a member of an occult organization. She looked eerily similar to some of the photos in his Book. The book he had feared so many years ago. It was still a part of him so he kept it in a secure hidden place, somewhere deep in the city. He would occasionally find it by pure chance and read it again and again. There was so much wisdom in that book, so many stories about great heroes vanquishing great evil. There were also dark pages. Pages that had hidden writing that would only appear if he were reading and focused. Skimming the book did not produce these writings, only intense focused reading would do that. The woman's face was obscured by a mask.

cover_586111112016_r.jpg

You can imagine this in a dark and white color scheme and with a heavier mask influence.

The woman's speech was met with a barrage of comments.

"Who are you? What did you do to them? How did you get here?" cried the boy out in confusion.

The woman looked at the boy, eyeing him up and down. She was clearly armed with something, perhaps a knife he thought to himself. The rain was now pouring down even heavier than before. The city had a very sophisticated system in dealing with excessive rain. Walls would be raised in the inner city levels, especially uptown and districts that required protection from floods. The excess water would go into a purification system and would be disposed of into the drinking water.

"These questions have no purpose being answered as it would only summon more confusion for you, Adam," the woman told the boy.

That.. that name. It was his. Long ago, when he lived in an estate. Long ago when his mother would still hug him and when his father would read to him. It had been so long since he had heard that name from someone's mouth. This woman had been searching for him for a long time it seemed. Adam was defensive now. He would not let someone like this close to him after what happened all those years ago in the schoolyard.

She noticed he was tense and responded with a calming.

"It's going to be okay, I know your parents or at least we did," she said softly to him.

"I'll tell you all about it. But not here, we're not safe here. I was trailed before I got here. That note you picked up was the location of my base." she told him.

Adam was intrigued by this woman but also threatened. He stood there in the rain with his broken ribs and bloodied back. He tried to throw a punch at her but the instant he even came close to her, she was behind him. The rain where she had stood left a silhouette of a woman as well as the path she had to have taken to get behind him. He was intimated.

"What did you do that for? You're hurt. I have supplies at my shack, you just have to follow me" she told him

She continued down the alleyway and into the darkness. He was destined to follow her and so he did. The way was long and winding. He thought long about how she had dodged that punch of his, it was about to hit her regardless if she had seen it coming or not. It was calculated, even if she had dodged it. It was strange too... the marking she left in the rain when she dodged. Rain would never stop like that, Adam thought to himself.

As they approached the end of the alley he could see a dumpster that stood into the wall. The woman moved over to it and waited for Adam to arrive, he was noticeably slower than usual because of his injuries. He had bled all the way from the street to the hideout, which was a considerable distance. The woman touched the dumpster in various places. Under, over and on the sides of it which triggered it to move out of the way. Underneath it was a staircase that went underground.

ritualroomconcept2.jpg

The room which met him was like taken out of a nightmare. Drawings and sketches of monstrous entities filled the walls. Blood had seeped into the floorboards. Numerous insects and rodents fled the scene and the only thing lighting the room was a ring of candles in the middle of it. The room was small and encased in cardboard. Water was dripping from above into a bucket filled with water along with god-knows-what. There was only a desk, a shelf, and a bed. Adam wondered where she did her... duties.

"I know it's a mess but get comfortable. I will explain to you why I found you" she said.

Adam
sat down on what little ground there was left that wasn't filled with ink, trash or blood and listened to the woman.

"Long ago there existed a tribe, much like the humans of today, they harvested food from the earth and they made art. This tribe was nothing special at first until one day a child from the tribe wandered into a local cave and found writings on the wall. He ran back to the village elder to tell them about the cave but it was too late. The tribe had been massacred. Brutally killed by forces unknown. intestines and organs were thrown around the village center. Human heads lay atop the spikes of the wall. Even his mother and father had been gouged.

This man took it upon himself to learn what these writings meant. He lived in that cave and only left for short periods of time, always keeping an extra eye on the Darkness that laid inside that cave. He was afraid. For every single day for 200 years. This man was afraid. He lived in that cave and wrote everything he learned on a small notepad. This man was called Fergalious and lived thousands of years ago. In the cave, he learned of the creatures that laid in the dark. The knocks on the wall at night. The things that lay in the mist. Much like yourself. Have you given it a name yet?

Anyway. Fergalious gathered other members of various tribes and rebuilt the village. They called themselves "The Bound"
This time he was prepared. No one was allowed to go into the cave but him. His writings were passed on to other members of the group. The Bound would work for centuries on decoding the writings and what powers they held over the people. Fergalious lived for over 250 years. This was unnatural even for today's standards. He lived a peaceful life in that village as the leader of The Bound until one day. It was a dark day. The sun was blocked off and the Night had come quicker than he thought. Fergalious went into the cave and came out.. different. The Bound would notice it and held their weapons at him when he arrived at the gate. They were useless. Nothing stood against his wrath. Legend says that he still might live on in the mountains far away from here, with some unimaginable power. I personally believe he was killed long ago by some hero with a power beyond his own.

I'm a member of the Bound just as your father and mother were. We studied together in the temples of the Tibetian munks. They helped us understand that there are ways to banish these creatures, for good. The Bound did not completely die out when Fergalious wiped them out, there were several of them that were on expeditions only to return to ruins. They would write a book. Almost like the Bible, detailing much of the dark power they found in that cave. Some say this book acts as a carrier for that deep power, granting it to whoever reads it and is found worthy.

My name is Tidal and I've been looking for you for many years now. I finally managed to track you down. I need your help. I have an ability. I can stop the flow of time for a few seconds. It can be extremely exhausting over longer periods of time but I've trained myself to be able to stop time for 10 seconds at max. This would entail that my body would probably rupture and die but it's possible. I normally only stop time for a few seconds to avoid certain death. This ability is powerful and I fear myself"

The woman's story. It seemed to make sense to him but at first he could not believe it. His parents were occult? and they had studied with this woman in Tibet? Why? What did they find out? And what's this about a book, could it be his book? No way. Adam couldn't believe it, he refused.

"You know what? I don't believe you. I've lived on the streets long enough to know when I see a scammer. I'm heading out of here right now." he said in a fit of rage and disbelief.

Adam walked up the stairs and ran out of the dumpster hideout only to meet the gaze of another woman standing in the rain.

@The Speaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: N0X
146f1056dd8e248f2deeb49b6c2ad17f.jpg

They said ghosts didn't exist. That the dead didn't walk among the living. But some people still believed in them. They believed a dead woman became lost on her way to the other side, forever adrift in the misty land of shadows. It was nothing but mundane gossip, of course. They were right about one thing, though. Myst wasn't dead, yet at the same time, didn't exist among the living.

Up above, the skyline swarmed with people, filled with sunlight, and wide spaces. Myst rarely went up there. She was much more comfortable down below, among the things the city had forgotten as well as the things they wanted to be forgotten. Through the most sinister of passages into the black pit of underground, which seemed no one could ever emerge. Dark tunnels that went in circles, some which led into the city's sewers. The bowels of the underground reached deep into the earth, and they were her home.

There were other rumors that should be taken much more seriously, however. Rumors of outlandish cults and bloody rituals and sacrifices in the underground. Myst only wished that the horrific truth of that was just as ordinary as her origin story.

Huddled in a gloomy alley, she eavesdropped on a group of homeless fellows; they talkd about a boy badly beaten by a local gang just around the corner, and a stranger in weird robes coming out of nowhere to safe his life--she was headed in the right direction.

There were many hidden places in the city where anyone could escape from the suspicious eyes of the law, and Myst knew them all. Myst knew far less about Tidal herself but knew she'd taken great risk sneaking out of her creepy chambers in search of someone. That someone happened to be a very powerful little boy with wild brown hair and too-thin of a frame and dread in his eyes, had spent far too long somehow surviving the streets all by himself. To say it was a rough life was a major understatement.

Right now, the boy knew nothing, but there were things in the shadows he couldn't possibly begin to wrap his mind around. Sometimes a hint of exposure was all it took. The boy walked a very simple two-way street, but soon, he would come across the fork in the road and would be forced to pick a side, for better, or worse. Nobody taught these kids that when a demon comes, it didn't seem very harmful in the beginning. It was always something to make you curious. It was a slow, unsuspecting corruption that reached deep into your soul until there was nothing left. Myst only hoped his street smarts would help him. Not to necessarily choose right, or good. But to walk away from evil when it was recognized.

Myst gawked at the pooled blood on the ground, her mouth pressing thin with worry. She could feel how he'd laid there on the cold, damp ground, whimpering as the gangsters laughed. She felt the terror, felt him dragging himself through the alleyways, bleeding and bruised, and she hurried to follow the trail he had left behind. It led to a dumpster that appeared to be pushed aside, revealing a very wounded boy coming back up the stairwell. Behind him, all she saw was more blood.

"Run, kid," Myst called as she pulled out a very special gun.

Adam met not only the gaze of a woman but the barrel of a gun as well. The rain was pouring down on the two of them. I appeared as if time had stopped and he was just staring at her. The woman told the young boy to get out of here, although he wasn't planning on going anywhere, even with his injuries. He could see that the gun was nothing like the ones he had used in the past on unsuspecting victims. Most of his kills were in self-defense but sometimes he couldn't get food without having to kill a shopkeeper in some alley.

Adam lived a bad life. After his parents had passed away in a tragic house fire all those years ago he had to live on the streets. He much preferred the streets to the orphanage. Here, he had freedom. Freedom to do whatever he wanted. There weren't any cops in the lower quadrant, only criminals and victims. The poor, who couldn't afford transportation on the intercontinental highway and the arching mega roads that spanned across the city, had to live in the slums. They had to walk, cycle, run, or slide everywhere. It was a hassle, seeing as the city was as humongous as it was. Adam had lived here all his life although not in the central region like he did now. He only barely scraped by. Today wasn't his worst day but it would get a lot worse than this.

He was rebellious. Adam had just been beaten up by a much larger and more intimidating crowd. He would not cower in front of some girl with a fancy gun. Never. Adam would never back down. He merely stood his place in the rain, affirming his position. He looked deep into her eyes. All she could see was the darkness inside of him, the obsidian skies inside the pupils, and a faint smile inside. a hint of something more sinister lurked on the inside of his eye. It looked like something was festering inside him... and it wanted to get out. Just before she could get a real glimpse of it, Tidal had gotten up the stairs to also see the woman in the rain.

"Step away from him," Tidal said to the other woman.

Tidal seemed ready to fight when she approached Adam from behind. She shoved him behind her. It was insulting to be handled in a way like this, he thought but nonetheless he followed her lead.

"What could you possibly want from us?" she asked the woman.

"You're scum, you know that? You hide away from the world because you disgust yourself. We know the things... like you. The creatures in the dark, the people from the underground. We are not afraid of you.
" Tidal confidently told the woman

Adam was not afraid. He was confident in Tidal's ability to fend off this foe. His deduction from earlier as well as Tidal's explanation earlier indicated she could freeze time. Adam had met powered people before, they were no secret to him, but this power seemed extraordinary in nature. He thought that maybe it had something to do with the writings on the cave wall, as well as the rituals she was likely doing in her underground hideout.

Last edited:
  • Love

The exorcist's stomach curled, but her Pokerface was the best of the underground world. Eyes fixed upon him in stark disbelief, she saw not the boy, but a demon inside of the boy. It wanted nothing but release, and she knew it. Myst should have left, should have simply walked away, trying to will her feet into motion, but they rebelled against command.

Looking into the darkness of the boy’s corrupted soul, the medium's immaterial power was stimulated and revealed itself; her eyes shifted a solid pool of white. Lamentably, her spirit felt resolved to rescue this boy from the clutches of iniquity, explain to him the ways of the underworld, let him choose his path after he was away from the cultist who's only desired was to use the wickedness manifested within him.

What had happened to the boy, to become possessed with such an entity? He went through life, unnoticed, and quickly forgotten by all, but to her, at that moment, he was the most important thing in the world. The cultist grabbed him and pulled him back. She made some sort of false statement about her apparent shame and her life in the underground, but that wasn't the cause for her temper rising. .... she knew what he was, too.

he puzzle-pieces arranged themselves inside of her mind, and it all began to make sense. Pretending to care for the boy, while making it seem to him that Myst was here to hurt him, not the cultist, who reeked of death. The boy needed to know that not everyone in the underground was wicked. There was plenty of good to be found in it if one only knew how to look.

"You can walk away from this, kid," her voice was gentle, but firm, "you don't gotta stay here to see what they're gonna do to ya. Come with me. You don't gotta go through trash for scraps ever again. That's a promise. I can show ya how to make it down here. Hell, how to make it upstairs, if that's where ya wanna be..." If the boy looked in her eyes, he would see that she meant it. There was a sense of familiarity as their eyes connected. Now she knew why she was chosen to deal with this issue instead of someone else. Myst had once been much like him, much more than he knew. Rejection, starvation, cold... the fight for survival was something she was all too familiar with. Those days were long behind her now, yet. The gun still aimed at the cultist with careful precision....

"Your choice, kid... but this woman ain't your friend." As she spoke the last words, her eyes went to the cultist with a deadly glare. Her heart trembled, but her aim was steady. She would kill her. She would.

Last edited:
Adam, just a young boy, was in the middle of a conflict much larger than him. Conflict greater than this alley, than this street and even this city. The consequences of such a showdown and particularly at this time were astronomical. It would change the fate of everything. The woman, Myst, as Adam would later find out had aimed a gun at Tidal. Everything happened so fast.

The boy was in her hands. It was raining outside and the skies were as dark as charcoal. The city life continued above them, with not an eye to spare for such an important event. This was the day that the idea of The Scarlet Five would slowly appear in Adam's mind. The rain dripped down his hair and onto the harsh concrete below him. He could feel the vibrations from various railway systems running deep under his feet. All the noise made it into a sheet of backdrop, almost like in a movie studio. Adam was so used to it. All the noises. There was only silence in it. Nothing here really mattered.

The gun was made of a mysterious alloy that adam could not identify. It rested comfortably on her left arm as she had aimed at the woman he had only known for a couple of minutes. He would not care if she was killed as this was not the first time he would have witnessed the death of someone. Adam counted 16 bullets in the magazine. He knew that Tidal would undoubtedly stop time if she were shot at, no doubt about that.

Tidal would not stop. This boy was her mission. Her parents, her grandparents, and their grandparents. All of their work had led up to this moment. There had not been an Avatar of such a powerful entity on Earth for millennia. When she had tracked him down as the son of a "nonexistent family, she knew she had struck gold. The power this child had was beyond her and everyone's imagining. She had to bring him back and no one would stand in her way.

The first bullet launched from the barrel moved close to her. She thought she would make a show of strength. The power to pause time was a very very powerful one and one she shouldn't misuse. She had learned this when she stopped a crashing car from hitting an old woman on the side of the road. She had to stop time over and over again to properly and slowly push the car away from the woman. This drained her so much and she ended up in the hospital, almost succumbing to her heart strain.

Time stopped. The people stopped moving, the rain stopped falling, the Earth stopped spinning and everything grinds to a halt. She had 10 seconds MAX. Tidal could not forget this under any circumstance. She slowly flicked the bullet away, aiming at a window a few meters to her left. Once time resumed she noticed the burn on her finger. It was bleeding, red, and sore. This was no ordinary bullet.

"Do you wanna try again" she said in a sarcastic tone.

"Maybe let the boy go and I can beat your sorry ass to a pulp" sounded her harsh words to the delinquent.

• Love

"Shit." The exorcist felt a cold chill race through her heart as she locked glares with the cultist, a dangerous glint in her eye. Time magic? Impossible. The long, tense silence was punctuated only by the soft pitter-patter of the falling rain, and the low booming rumble in the dark clouds up above. A wave of anger rose within, like the unsettled sea before the storm.

Let the boy go? She was the one still holding onto him? The woman was clearly mad. This was going to get her in trouble with the Order. They could suspend her license. They could even put her on leave, just to be on the safe side. She could already feel the archbishop's righteous fury tearing into her listless form. But Myst no longer cared. She couldn't let the vile witch have the boy. There was only one way this would end. It was either her, or him.

"Bet," Myst put the gun back in its holster and held up two fists in a grounded stance. There were many bejeweled rings almost on each of her fingers, one with the exorcists' emblem, some symbolizing her achievements in the Order, and others with marks of protection. All the cultist had to do was drop the child in her arms and step into the rain if she really wanted to beat her sorry ass to a pump. "What's the matter, witch? You scared?"

Tidal thought to herself. The only way to really save this boy. She had to go all out, didn't she? She had to use her time-stopping abilities to the max. At least that's what the Beyonders told her. They would whisper in her ears, slowly pulling on the threads of destiny. She thought they would help her, but today they had different plans.

Pictured below is the physical manifestation of the Eye of Cairo, a mystical artifact uncovered by a cult group originating from Northeastern America. The Eye appears to be a somewhat normal necklace but upon further examination appears to have markings and etchings on it, describing how to use it to its fullest potential. Opposition agents have not found the full translation of it as it appears in multiple unknown and known languages.

The exciting part of the necklace is the events that occur when a person puts it on. That means, wearing it over your neck, not anywhere else. The Eye has 20-40 hidden creatine spikes inside its casings. These range from 10mm to 1 cm thick and impale the user's chest region. Removal of the item results in immediate heart failure, likely due to an undiscovered poison in the user's system or the keratin spikes. Wearing the Eye for prolonged periods lets the user communicate with guiding "spirits" or entities as we refer to them. These entities give valuable information, as well as point out strategic choices. Although they are not to be trusted as they have caused several agents to perform actions that have resulted in their deaths. Examples of these incidents go as follows:

Holding a hand grenade longer than intended to show off your grenade skills to your crush

Approaching the Five without clearing from The Opposition higher-ups.

Going into the sewers to look for crocodiles and promptly being eaten by one.

This item is not to be used under any circumstance.

U7-Blue-Eye-Pendant-Lucky-Jewelry-Gift-For-Women-Men-Trendy-Gold-Color-Unique-Tear-Of.jpg_960x960.jpg
The Beyonders were a special breed of celestial beings that assisted the Bound in fights, tactics, and such. They were discovered in the early 1900s when members of the Bound had uncovered an artifact deep inside an Egyptian sarcophagus. This artifact was a solid gold necklace with a blue eye inside. The blue eye would pulsate and insert spikes into the user's chest, essentially locking them together. Removing the necklace kills the user.

In an instant, once again. The rain stopped, the cars stopped, the people stopped. She placed the boy to the side of the battlefield, over by a trashcan. TIdal then moved over to the woman who had threatened her and punched her once in the neck and then disarmed her. When time resumed she was positioned behind her with the gun pointing to her head. The necklace moved around as the fight went on, but during the stopped time, the eye was mysteriously closed.
latest

-
10 years ago was the first day she put it on. She has never taken it off since. It was a scorching hot day in Istanbul when a merchant approached Tidal on the streets. She was wary of strangers, even back then when she was only 30 years. She was alone, armed with just her ability and her knife. The merchant approached her like any other and begged her to buy something. This was no ordinary merchant though, he was carrying various pendants and jewelry which he claimed had come from "Above the stars!"

Tidal had a conversation with him. He claimed that long ago four goddesses entered the Earth and laid their four eggs. a Wolf, an Eye, a Skull, and a Sword. These four eggs were spread throughout the earth and life came to the planet, along with great powers. He claimed it was magic that spread throughout the world and that these four artifacts were of utmost importance. Tidal sensed it, he knew she had the power to stop time.
"Only someone like you could see through... The Eye." he said in a tone which inspired Tidal to buy it.

A few days later she put on the necklace, only to be stabbed in the chest. After that day, she never let it go. Eventually, they started to talk to her, guiding her along a path. The Bound called these entities The Beyond, but they are far more than just that. The Bound knew that they were different from the creatures of Dark. The ones from the Void. They knew they had stumbled upon yet another aetherial and cosmological discovery. Another class of entities entirely.
-
When time resumed Tidal had returned to her original position, waiting for the scum's reaction.

The night grew colder by the second. Myst shivered at the bite on the skin of her head, her breath plumes of white. She was about to make the first move, but one second, she had her eyes on the cultist. The next, Time moved at a snail's pace. She was bent over, struggling for air after taking a hit straight to the windpipe. Her every movement seemed too slow, like being stuck in quicksand.

"You mad at me?"

"You gotta be more careful, Mystic. This ain't...sigh.... why do you even wanna save that kid?"

"God only knows..."

"Don't be a smartass," Doc snapped. "That kid is damned. You know what he is... I know how you get with lost causes."

"He ain't a lost cost," it was her turn to snap, "he just needs help....that's all."

"No, you need help," he said, "you need to look out for yourself. It's been decided. Execute, don't exorcise."

"I can't just do that, he's just a kid."

"That's exactly what you'll do. That's an order straight from the top. Say you get it."

"Sure, Doc....I got it."

The sky pulsed with power, sending out a brilliant flash that pulled Myst out of her stupor, the thunder threatening to make her ears explode seconds later. Myst stared at the cultist, stunned. The tightness in her throat was painful and made her gasp. Damn. What, did she expect the bitch to play fair? Playing dirty tricks was all they ever did. She just needed to do the same.

Myst's eyes narrowed in judgment, as she began to speak in an incoherent language, that was the language of the angels. Holding her hand out in front of her, an aura of blue lightning crackling into life around it. The hum of her power reverberated in the air. Suddenly, a great storm of electricity erupted around them. Arcs of it raced through the air, racing from the rocks, the bricks of the alleyway walls and from flesh to flesh... minus that of the boy's, the lightning almost deliberately moving around him, as though an invisible shield had been placed around him in protection.

Back