1x1 The Tournament of Power

Jeremi

The Convergence Series GM
You had never traveled so smoothly as in this airbus. Air condition, seats with a massage function; you could feel all your problems fall away. A shame you were still stuck in a patchwork world caused by two would despots. That’s what made the situation all the more baffling, how had someone managed to pull this fighting tournament off? It was a well-coordinated and massive strike all around the world. Fliers fell from the sky in the most bustling cities to the most remote areas. Commercials on the TV and radio where technology was still functioning, even walking minstrels singing about what would be known as the biggest fighting tournament of this world or any other world. As you were contemplating this your destination came into view.

The Gold Saucer, a massive entertainment structure sitting out in the middle of a huge lake. The image of the Gold Saucer glittered in the water as the airbus came down for a landing.

The airbus let out its passengers at the entrance before flying off once again, no doubt out to seek new patrons. The Gold Saucer had become a bit of a safe haven in the world of the Melding, allowing all walks of life a moment of respite. Being situated in the middle of the lake also meant that even if anyone wished to attack it they could only do so safely by an aerial assault. For some reason whoever the two evil scientists had left the Gold Saucer alone, not even interested in stopping the fighting tournament that was going to be hosted here. As you stepped off the airbus you got a good look around. The other passengers you arrived with were starting to thin out. There seemed to be a friendly person inside a ticket boot that seemed to also work as a check-in station. The person inside had a smile on their face and was handing out gift baskets for the new arrivals when they had written the guests' names down. The atmosphere was as pleasant and you could even hear some laughter coming past the entrance to the Gold Saucer proper. Even then you couldn’t help but think…what had you gotten yourself into? Getting close to the booth the person inside the booth perked up again. “Hi! Are you here for the tournament?”​

@Takumi

From a world thrown into chaos to this patchwork world full of monsters, humans, and robots belonging to mad scientists, one young man had found himself alone wandering in search of anything that resembled some form of familiarity. Or to at least find one of his friends from before everything went to hell. He helped whoever he could with monsters and robots alike, armed with nothing but his fists.

Well, his fists and a bit of magic here and there, which helped him gain some experience fighting different enemies and was a bit of a challenge. Eventually, word started to spread about a tournament, somewhere that was a test of strength and a sort of safe place to get away from those pesky robots. Now here he was, The Gold Saucer. It all seemed too good to be true and whether that was completely a good thing or not remained to be seen. Something about this place seemed just a bit too...cheery.

When spoken to, the young man was pulled from his thoughts, gaze landed on the person running the booth.

gRR5l123_400x400.jpg

"Yes, I am." The young man spoke with a nod before glancing towards where others had written their names down. He was curious who else had joined, even if he might not recognize any names now, he was sure that he'll have faces to them soon.

@Jeremi

He didn't recognize any names on the list, but one of them was only a single letter. A very stylishly written 'G' that caught his attention. A quick flip through the list also showed that there was about four papers worth of names on them. "Fantastic! I'm starting to get an eye for this." The cashier remarked with a chipper tone.​
After he signed his name he'd find a gift basket in front of him. There seemed to be an assortment of fruits, bottles of water and some more stronger things as well as crackers. "Here you go!" She also handed out a key to him with the number '202'. "Compliments of the Gold Saucer! Also if you have any currency on you we can trade it for GP! That's the currency we use here for everything! Though as part of the tournament you get free room and food during your stay here! If you want to go to our hotel in the next room there's a number of tubes you can jump in to. It's the one with with 'Ghost' over it that you want to pick. Want me to explain more of this place or do you want to look around by your own?"​

@Takumi

He hadn't really thought of what he'd put down himself. Demifiend was a term he heard thrown around here and there, but he still held onto the name he had before the Conception of his world.

Raising a brow, Naoki Kashima's attention was stuck on the 'G' for a moment. Though, there were quite a few names there. It must've been a big tournament if there were nearly five pages worth of names.

"I think I'll hold onto my currency for now, as long as I can come back and trade it in however long I'm here, and I'm fine with an explanation, though...why is the tube labeled 'Ghost'?" He asked with a slight tilt of his head.

@Jeremi

"Okay! You can find exchange points in each area of the Gold Saucer if you change your mind!" For the explanation the ticket worker pulled out a tablet with a map of the Gold Saucer.

latest

"Okay! So this is the Gold Saucer!" She pointed with a pen to the different areas. "We're built up by seven different areas! At the top we have the Event Square where you can every evening watch a play on stage! Make sure to check the listing to see when the next play is if you're interested! Up next is the Chocobo Square where you can bet on the races and have a good time! We've also expanded the area so we have a number of race tracks for vehicles too! Then we have the Ghost Square, and to answer your question it's called that because it's a themed hotel with spooky stuff all around! I personally love it!"

She continued on. "Anyway, then we have the Battle Square where you can try your hand against different monsters. Since the Melding we've gathered new specimens from all over for fighters to try their luck with! It's also gotten an expansion just for the tournament where everyone will gather before the matches begin. And," She gave Naoki a wink. "A little secret." Not saying anything more she moved on to the next one. "At the Round Square you can pick one of four gondolas that go around the Gold Saucer to see all of it up close! The Wonder Square is our game area where you can play different arcade games, gambling and just have a good time! And finally there's the Speed Square where you can ride the shooter coaster to try and win fabulous prices!"

With that she pointed him forward. "Like I said in the next open areas you'll find a number of tubes that will send you to each square of the park. Hope you'll have a great experience and good luck in the tournament!"​

@Takumi

Naoki perked at the information regarding the Battle Square, taking a mental note to check it out later. Not many of the places listed interested him much, but he supposed it wouldn't hurt to take a look around at the different activities regardless. He'd likely run into a few of the other participants in the tournament given just how many signed up.

"Alright, thanks." He said to the rather chipper woman, before heading off to the Ghost Square with the intent to drop off his basket then head to the Battle Square to get a bit of practice in.

Naoki would rather easily find the tube to his destination. As he entered the main hub of trouble he could see people of many shapes and sizes from humans to cat people to walking bombs. It was hard to say if any fighters were hanging around here, but it was clear that despite how the world was looking outside the Gold Saucer's walls. Inside of it was only merriment.

It seemed that you only had to leap feet first into the tube to end up in your destination and so after a short trip Naoki shot out from the tube to his destination.

True to the chipper girl's words the hotel seemed to have a haunted mansion theme with spooky sounds and lightning flashing behind it. It seemed the tombstones hid a tube that had the name of each area on them. Naoki could see a holographic ghost float by before vanishing into a wall in the corner of his eye. Following the road up to the hotel and opening the opened up a massive foyer.

hqdefault.jpg

Once inside he could see a few people standing around. Next to the counter was a samurai-looking fellow. He had a strange feeling about him that Naoki could only describe as...demonic. Next to stairs stood what seemed to be a round robot dressed in green garb and a humanoid figure in red with a cocky grin on his face as he looked around the area.

Finally, in the corner, there was a group gathered of both regular people as well as fighters listening to a sermon from a man with a top hat.

@Takumi

He curiously watched as those of all shapes and forms walked about, but kept out of their way as he finally made it to his destination. Holographic ghosts certainly fit with the theme, but the moment he entered his gaze snapped to one guest in particular. While unintentional, Naoki's gaze was rather intense as he studied the man for a moment.

The man next to the counter appeared to be a samurai, and while there were others of interest they were currently background noise to the young tattooed man.

It had been a while since he ran into any sort of demon, or at least anyone or anything that gave off the feeling of one.

@Jeremi

As Naoki came closer to the hotel counter he could hear the conversation going on between the samurai and the poor man dressed up as a zombie behind the counter. "So let me see if I got this right," The samurai continued. "With this room service I can get anything sent up directly to my room?"​
"As I said already...yes, sir," The hotel employee remarked.​
The samurai got a devilish grin on his face. "I just needed confirmation. In that case I want you to send up five...no TEN bottles of your best booze to my room. You think you could do that?"​
Even under the heavy make up Naoki could still see how defeated the employee looked. "I will...put it on your tab, sir."​
"Great!" As the samurai turned to leave his eyes would lock on to Naoki. "Heh, you got an interesting look to you pal," Naoki saw that the samurai looked otherwise human, except the left side of his face was covered in black as well as his left eye being red. "And you got a smell to you. I didn't expect to see another daemon here."​

@Takumi

He almost felt bad for the clerk at the desk. Almost. Though when the samurai turned Naoki's gaze traveled to the left side of his face momentarily, before focusing on him as a whole. He wondered, vaguely, if the smell was due to the Magatama and that all demons could sense it that way, even apparently demons from outside his world.

"I didn't expect to run into any demons here myself." He replied, before holding out a hand for a shake.

"Name's Naoki." He greeted the other.

@Jeremi

"And you can call me Rokurou! Boy I could almost take you for a human, but you were just a little bit off. No offense," Rokurou grinned. "I take it you're here for the tournament? I figured why walk around everywhere trying to find strong people to fight when I can just join this tournament and let all of them come to me instead! Besides I was getting a bit bored just walking everywhere, ya know?"​

@Takumi

"None taken, and yeah I'm part of the tournament. It seemed like it'd be a useful experience." Naoki replied with a small grin of his own.

"Yeah, walking everywhere sucks after a while so this is a pretty nice change of pace." He added, before motioning to the man in the top hat and those gathered around him with a nod of his head.

"By the way, know what's going on there?" He asked, figuring that Rokurou had been here a little longer than the Demifiend himself.

@Jeremi

"Oh?" Rokurou looked over Naoki's shoulder towards the gathered crowd. "Beats me. The guy was already talking when I got here. Seems like someone who really likes the sound of his own voice. But..." The samurai's eyes narrowed. "There's something about him...I just can't put my finger on it?" He gave the employee a small wink as a way to remind him of the drink deal Rokurou started to make his way towards the crowd.

If Naoki decided to follow he'd soon hear the words of the speaker coming out loud and clear. "-And that's why, fellow citizens of what I have christened Earth 2, we have to work together to survive! Earth 2 is unique because from all these different worlds we have been jumbled together like pieces in a massive puzzle."

"And it's the duty of me, your President of Earth 2, to turn this jumbled mess into a fabulous work of art fit for me as well as you!" While most of the gathered seemed to be tuning in and out, some of the others seemed to be slowly nodding along to what he was saying.

"President of Earth 2, huh?" Rokurou remarked aside to Naoki. "Sounds like he hasn't gotten the memo on who really calls the shots here."​

@Takumi

Naoki rose a brow as the man declared himself president of 'Earth 2' feeling a bit...unimpressed. When Rokurou made his remark, the teen's lips twitched as if he wanted to smile or chuckle but held himself back from doing so.

"Seems so, wonder if he ran into or even seen any of those robots before coming here?" He replied. The man had to at least heard of them in passing at the least, but Naoki was close to doubting it with the way this guy talked.

@Jeremi

The man doing the sermon had clearly not heard the two talking but even so his eyes suddenly locked on Naoki. "Even you, citizen!" He pointed a finger at the Demifiend. "Even a denizen of the dark as yourself are welcome to join me in unity! Because what is life but not light and darkness coming together!"

After saying that the man went back to his sermon fully ignoring Naoki once again. "I guess he got your number," Rokurou remarked off hand to Naoki. "Anyway," He picked up a key from one of his pockets. "Seems like I'm in room '211'. I was going to see if they had my booze there already."

@Takumi

He perked before tilting his head at the man in the top hat, eyes narrowing a moment as he studied the man before them as he turns and returns to his sermon. It wasn't unusual fot others to comment on the fact that he wasn't human, at least fully, but the man's reaction gave the Demifiend mixed feelings.

His current companion however, distracted him from that with a comment that caused him to chuckle, the poor desk clerk coming to mind for a second.

"I'm in room '202'," He replied to Rokurou, turning his head to the other before adding, "I was going to drop off the basket they gave me and get some practice in." He explained with a bit of a shrug.

@Jeremi

"Well I guess we're on the same way then." Rokurou made his way towards the elevator and after a button press they soon found themselves on the second floor. Naoki could see that the ghost house themed continued here as well with candles giving the corridor an eerie light. As they exited the elevator they could see signs pointing Naoki to the left corridor while Rokurou would have to head to the right for his room. "Guess we'll split here," the samurai replied with a grin. "Hope to see you around! You seem strong so I wouldn't mind facing you in the tournament. See ya!" With a casual wave he headed down the right side corridor before vanishing past a corner.

Naoki saw the door to his room next to an ice machine that didn't seem to fit with the overall theme of the hotel. Further down the left corridor he could also see someone talking but they were too far off to fully make out.

@Takumi

"Well I guess we're on the same way then." Rokurou made his way towards the elevator and after a button press they soon found themselves on the second floor. Naoki could see that the ghost house themed continued here as well with candles giving the corridor an eerie light. As they exited the elevator they could see signs pointing Naoki to the left corridor while Rokurou would have to head to the right for his room. "Guess we'll split here," the samurai replied with a grin. "Hope to see you around! You seem strong so I wouldn't mind facing you in the tournament. See ya!" With a casual wave he headed down the right side corridor before vanishing past a corner.

Naoki saw the door to his room next to an ice machine that didn't seem to fit with the overall theme of the hotel. Further down the left corridor he could also see someone talking but they were too far off to fully make out.

@Takumi

Same floor different ways. They might just end up seeing each other a bit sooner than expected.

"See you." Naoki replied as he waved, watching as Rokurou disappeared until he found himself at his room. He rose a brow at the ice machine's placement before noticing someone down the hall. Deciding to duck into his room real quick to place the basket on the nearest table, he'd make his way back out into the hall and down further where the person was speaking.

@Jeremi

The room continued the theme with blood red wallpaper adorning the walls. The room itself was spacious enough and had a double bed in the middle of the room aimed right at the TV that was hanging from the wall. Naoki could find the remote and a welcome card on table on the other side of the bed.The bathroom door was right next to the entrance to the room that housed the usual fancy stuff that hotels had.

As he stepped back outside Naoki noticed the person at the end of the hall was gone. Reaching the end of the corridor he'd see that it split once again going left and right. The right seemed empty but there was someone walking down the hallway to the left, but he couldn't tell if it was the same person from earlier.

@Takumi

Blood red wallpaper, huh? Naoki wasn't sure if it could be considered tacky or not, but good on them for keeping with the theme, he supposed. Though all this red was reminding him of the Amala Network, the teen resisting the urge to grimace at that thought and the trouble the place had given him on his first time trying to use it. The room itself wasn't too bad. It was actually pretty spacious, and upon seeing the welcome card, decided to give it a look over when he came back to the room.

When he found that the person wasn't at the end of the hall where the path split, he wasn't really surprised, though he wondered who they might've been talking to.

Noticing the new person, who may or may not have been the same as before, he made his way down the left corridor to see what was up.

@Jeremi

Back