"She was off in the town again last night, chatting with the sailors by the docks," An elven woman with tied up, nut-brown hair said, while stirring the pot on the fire. She was only one of seven young women working the small, mostly-empty inn, all talking with each other as they went about their chores, "Lilly, come and taste this."

A younger woman, who wore her brown hair loose around her shoulders scampered over, leaving the rag she was using to clean the tables behind, "I don't know why ye can't just stay at home, Rosie, there are plenty of fine lads here in town."

"Don't let Lilly taste it, Cyinth, she finds water too flavorful, she'll ruin it," The only blonde squeaked, hurrying away from the counter, to take over the cooking. She threw in spices without tasting, and added, "Ain't nothing wrong with her running off. Everybody has dreams. And you know she isn't flirting with them, she's just trying to learn stories. It's mostly harmless."

A brunette who picked up the rag her sister left behind said, "It's harmless until she's too tired to do her work in the morning, and we've got to pick up the slack."

"Oh, come on, Mari," An exact copy of the one called Lilly said, who stopped cleaning tables to also taste the stew, "as if we don't have to pick up your chores when you spend the night with Faendal," she turned to the blonde, "Gosh, Poppy, you really work wonders with that."

"At least Faendal is from here in Banbridge. He isn't from god-knows-where doing god-knows-what with god-knows-who. And get back to work, Calla. We don't need everybody playing Goldilocks with the stew."

"I don't know why you bother tryin' to get through to Rosie, nothing's going to stay her. She wants to go runnin' off, and that's that. Not that I can blame her. You're all wastin' your breath tryin," said the sister who was busy collecting empty cups and bottles, "She isn't even listenin' now. She's got 'er 'ead in the clouds."

"I'm listening," Rose said. She was leaning against the wall, with her elbow propped up on her broom, "I'm just not attending."

"Well start attending!" Snapped the first woman, wiping her hands on her apron, "People will start coming in at any minute, and you've got this place looking like a stable!"

Not that if anybody did come in they'd notice them. They were all too busy squabbling, daydreaming, or both. Rose looked from the door to the window and back again, hoping desperately that someone interesting would come along. Mostly the McGann Inn only served the farmers and miners of Banbridge after the end of another long day, but once in awhile someone else would come along. Sometimes a priest on the way to make a pilgrimage somewhere, or someone to come to sell a cow, and, on the rarest of occasions, a traveler. Those were her favourites, even if her father claimed they were the most dangerous. He never sent them away, because he never sent anyone away, but he was certainly wary of them. The man thought for sure they'd cart one of this daughters away. The fear seemed irrational, if it wasn't for how desperately Rose wanted just that.

The best of them asked for work or rumors, and for the first time in her life, she had something other than a wolf to direct them towards.

A female elf walks through the forest, humming a melody of sorts while walking. She smells the air and breathes out. "The stenches of buildings....planks. Fresh baked goods. And the sound, the sound of many steps. I'm close. It had been almost three days now since Saiko started her search for the town. She sighs as she gets close. Animals fly by as Saiko takes each step, a slight breeze tugging at her long hair, white as the driven snow. Her eyes gleam as she scans her surroundings. Her eyes red as a thorny rose. Pushing bushes aside, she smiles. She made it!

A thin, strangely looking man walks down a path. A worn out map in his hands. His orange eyes trying to make out the faded details. Taking his eyes away from the map he looks ahead, to see a Inn. He smiles to himself in relief.

"Ah finally, I was wondering if I'd find anything with this map." He quickly folds it back up and places it into his robes.

He starts rushing towards the inn, as his stomach rumbles.

The McGann Inn and Tavern was right on the edge of town, not that there was much in Banbridge that wasn't, considering the town really only consisted of a general store, the Inn, an iron mine, and the farms, plus the houses, but still, the location was a point of pride for those in the McGann clan who were proud of such things. Namely, those who ran it, and whatever offspring who knew they would one day run it, assuming they wanted it. The only institution older in the town was the Mine, after all.

Rose sighed, giving into the call to work, and set about sweeping again, as the laziest of miners and farmers made their way in for a drink. But then, thankfully, she saw some new person headed up to the Inn, and so she headed out to the porch to size them up.

"Where are ye going Rosie?" Her eldest sister asked.

"To sweep the porch."

"To sweep the porch?!"

"Well it's just as dusty out there as it is in here."

"Rosie, it's the porch. The miners are just going to get it dusty again as soon as you're finished!"

"And they'll do the same to the inside, but I'm still expected to sweep that!" Rose said, closing the door behind her, shutting out her sister's vexation. Then, curtsying slightly at the stranger on the porch, still holding her broom, she smiled and said, "Welcome to the McGann Inn, Sir. I don't believe I've seen ye before. What's brought ye to Banbridge?" Out of the corner of her eye, as she spoke, she saw a brief flash of white. Unless white rabbit the general store owner's granddaughter had suddenly grown considerably, it was yet another new arrival. Must be her lucky day.

Sileth bows his head towards the woman.

"A pleasure ma'am." He gives her a toothy smile.

"I'm exploring the neighboring towns, for a moment believed myself lost. Luckily I found your Inn."

He then notices her gaze shifting, his eyes follow her direction.

"It's good that ye did," She said, looking away from the distant white blur, looking at the man again. She tried to suppress the accent she knew she had, but the harder she tried to sound unlike her hometown, the more provincial her voice became, "I think it is very likely it will snow tonight. We've soft beds and a warm fire."

She stepped aside, allowing him entrance to the Inn. With a sly smile she added, "'Course, only the fire is free. But that ye can have as much of as ye like, so long as it stays lit."

The elf wandered around the town continuously. It looked kind of quiet. No crimes except the average pickpocket and petty theft. However, it was to quiet. If she was going to live her life out of town, then she needed money. Which means a job. But Saiko couldn't find any of that. Either they politely refused or just ignored her. 'Well, at least some of the folk here are kind,' she thought to herself, but relieved. Finally, she found an inn. A man talking to a woman outside an inn. She saw this as her chance, and ran up to the pair of strangers. "Hello there. I apologize if I'm interrupting a conversation. But I'm looking for a job, to get a quick cash grab. Yall meed any work done?"

((It's alright!))

"Well, Miss," Rose said, turning to her, lips curling up, "there are always the miners, they've typically got some large spider they need dealt with. And of course there is the wolf pack, to the west. They're known to terrorize the livestock. I'm sure a farmer would pay ye to track the beasts down. They're why my mother is not at home, our cow was killed, and she's off buying a new one," She crossed her arms, and with a glance at the man, "So I really must apologize, sir, if ye came here with dreams of milk, we're fresh out."

She turned, coyly sweeping. This was exactly what she was hoping for, and now she had to play it just right. So after sweeping for a few moments, she turned back to the white haired woman, as if she suddenly remembered something, "Oh, and of course there's always... Oh, no, I doubt ye'd be interested. It may not be quick, and it very well might be dangerous. I doubt ye'd be interested in anything like that."

Her eyes looked as if they lit up and twinkled slightly, like the lights on a Christmas day, the joy of a child ready to open his presents. 'Maybe there could be evil needing to be slain...somebody that needs to be purified,' Saiko thought to herself. She grins brightly at the woman. "Well then miss, do tell me more. Names Saiko. And danger won't be a problem. Been facing that for a long time."

"Why don't ye come inside, come out of the cold. We can talk in there. Besides, they're waiting to hear me play," Rose said, and before Saiko could answer, she turned around and went inside the Inn. As she went in, she casually added, "They call me Rose, by the way."

Although Rose was desperate for adventure, she was also better at buisness than her sisters gave her credit for. For that reason, she refrained from describing what she knew on the porch, and instead forced the stranger inside, if she wanted to know.

Saiko shrugged and followed Rose inside. "I could do with the warmth." After heading inside, looked around. "Wow, kinda quiet here. Business alright?"

"How many people do you expect visit Banbridge?" Rose asked sarcastically, "We get a few townsfolk each night coming for a drink, and for my sister's dinner. Make yourself comfortable." She put away her broom, and disappeared down the hall for a moment, and returned with an old, scratched lute, which she worked on tuning.

To the man, she said, "A room is fifty coin a night, and supper is five. Water is free, ale is one coin, mead is two, and wine is three. You can pay my sister Hyacinth, she's the one who looks like she's one spill away from an aneurysm. Or my father, he'll be out in just a bit, I'm sure."

Back