Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived The Umbral Sector

Lobos

The Big Bad Wolf
as written by Lobos

The final leg of the journey was ended, as the SDS Fire of Life and the AHSC Blackbird appeared in the empty void one hundred thousand kilometers distant to the location of the most distant border station, as best determined by the nav-data contained within the banks of the Piranha corvette. Ahead of the pair, Lieutenant Oglivy and his bridge crew studied the scopes intently. Several minutes of scanning across the planes of empty space, the asteroid fields with their lazy drifting courses occasionally impacting each other. Finally, it was the Nav station operator who stabbed a finger on the display, highlighting the target. "There."

A collective breath hissed out of the Dominion personnel, as Kyle turned to his Comm crewman. "Direct channel to the Epsilon Ring, scan across the fre-"

"This is Border Station Epsilon to long-range contacts, identify immediately." Heads whipped sharply at the wide-band unit as the voice came over the bridge speakers. "This is a restricted access border point."

"This is Lieutenant Kyle Oglivy, commanding the SDS Fire of Life, and our guest is the AHSC Blackbird. Confirm ID Code, Omnicron-Sixer-Niner, Alpha-Duece-One." Cast into the void, the tension of the natives of Andromeda was concealed well, but it was there. The handshake protocol initiated was intended to authenticate their access into their home space, but an error in the procedure and the Epsilon station was cleared to use its full complement of Inferno Rails, torpedoes, and based bombers and fighters.

"You're authenticated. By the Abyss, Lieutenant, if you don't mind us asking, what in the fuck happened to you?"

"That's a long story to tell, Epsilon Control. One probably best told to UC first."

"You've got a point there. Can you at least confirm status of Director Issane and Admiral Grieves?"

"Last we knew, both safe, and operational, Ep-Con. How about entry clearance?"

"One moment...Alright. You are cleared for local intra-Sphere jump at the uploaded coordinates." Nav punched the string into his console as Comm transmitted it to the Blackbird. "From there, I've been told to direct you straight to Valhalla. Try not to miss, Lieutenant."

Smirking at the customary greeting, Kyle responded back in kind. "Catch the door behind us."

A few minutes later, the pair of ships jumped again, bypassing the outer mine fields with a localized access point in the Sphere, brought about by powering down sections of the pylon network that stabilized the surrounding fabric of space. The system was a clever design, preventing direct non-space jumps into the Umbral Sector primary, while still allowing in-sector jumps to progress unimpeded. Failure to get clearance for an intra-Sphere jump, or attempting to pass through the Sphere itself except through realspace would see the jump shunted into one of the many, many minefields surrounding it.

Inside, coordinates for the secondary jump were sent to the Blackbird, and in the advent of that final jump, the Dominion morale aboard the ship skyrocketed.

Their home, and their people were alive and well.

____

"Fire of Life and Blackbird, you are cleared for descent to berths at Asgard. Top Tier, Section A, 4 and 5. Just follow the inbound markers." Kyle nodded to Nav, taking the ship on a re-entry vector planetside. As the Blackbird slipped in behind them, it was a few minutes before the city itself came into view.

Sprawling over hundreds of kilometers, Asgard lifted kilometers into the air, mammoth pylons supporting multi-level surface platforms on which stood skyscrapers hundreds of meters tall. As the distance between the descending vessels and the city closed, the scale became apparent, almost appalling. Six tiers in all raised above the bottom of the city, forming a roughly conical structure to the city, civilian vessels and courier ships swarming through the air like insects. In the air, guide holograms flared, forming "lanes" to follow that directed each ship to a docking berth.

The resonating sound of the clamps securing the vessel were music to the Dominion personnel aboard's ears. Yet discipline was held, as the Lieutenant announced to those passengers not on the bridge.

"We have arrived at Asgard, ladies and gentlemen. Prepare to disembark."

On the hangar platform, a welcoming contingent already waited to greet their guests.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Tiko

Among those to depart the Fire of Life was the Volarian ambassador, Shreya Johar. She couldn't help but stare in wonder at the sight that lay before her. Nothing on Valore could even come close to comparing to the magnitude of the Dominion city. She exchanged a look with Aarika before holding her arm out for him to take as they descended towards the hangar platform.

"It warms the spirit to know that your world has not suffered the same fate as Niihama," she offered in greeting.

Also to join those gathered was Commander Derek Adams, of the Blackbird. Flanking him were two of his crew members, Lieutenant Shannon Abran, and his executive officer, Ian Marshal. The trio were likely the first Aschen to set foot upon a Shade Dominion planet, and all three were clad in Aschen military uniforms. They bore no rifles, but their side-arms were holstered at their sides as they reached the hangar platform to approach the welcoming crew.

as written by Lobos

The party representing the Shade Dominion had been hastily gathered, representatives based solely on proximity to the diverted path. The faces within it were of Councilor Dylan Ryder, the man's features still somewhat pale from his recovery. Where his right arm once had been, only an empty sleeve remained. Following a pace behind and to his right, his Pittite features schooled into a neutral smile, was Jonathan Killian, of Midnight Thirteen. The third and final member of the contingent was the Meliron System Admiral, Killigan Thermidore, a tall, rakish man with the dark complexion of a New Saharan, save for the blued metal plate over the back of his skull, evidence of old battle scars long since repaired.

Ryder was the first to speak, fluidly picking up the response to the ambassador Shreya, dipping his head in greeting. "I'm sure we'll know more about that in time, Ambassador. Nonetheless it pleases me to say, welcome to Asgard." His next words were in moderately practiced Volarian, courtesy of the translation packets uploaded by Director Issane before communications were disrupted. "We greet you and offer our home to you as though you were our own."

Extending his left hand to the ambassador, he would also offer it to her husband, then to Damian, and finally to Derek. "I am Councilor Dylan Ryder."

Gesturing to either side, he indicated his companions. "This is Jonathan Killian, one of our highest ranking political officers of Midnight Thirteen, and Admiral Killigan Thermidore, the commander of the Meliron System Battlegroup."

Allowing time for introductions to be made, he gestured with the warmth of an experience host into the bay, a warm smile on his face. "I'm sure it's been a long voyage. Shall we retire within to a more suitable location to relax and chat, or would you prefer to rest up before we talk in earnest?

as written by Sokka

Damion stepped down from the ramp and into the hangar, unlike his Volarian allies he felt a bit more at home. Being in Volaria for so long he had forgotten the sprawling cities of the SEC and while the Cities of the Dominion were still very different they size and amount of ships reminded him of home.

He listened to Ryder and shook his hand when offered. "Thankyou all for your hospitality, I am Director Damion Teller of the Syntori Enterprise Confederation. " Damion said before offering a hand to the other officials.

"I would not be opposed to relaxation and discussion however I understand if my companions require a bit of rest, it has been a bit of a journey." Damion added with a courteous smile.

as written by Tiko

"The offer is much welcomed, but I do believe speed is of the essence at the moment," Shreya answered. "There will be time enough for rest later."

as written by Lobos

Finishing introductions, the Councilor nodded. "As our guests wish. This way, if you would."

Leading the group across the hangar, the delegation came to a curious mode of transportation. An open topped platform, beyond stretched a sextet of rails into what appeared, at a glance, to be open air. Only a slight glare of light at the base gave hint of the protective tube around the tram's path. The tram-car's surface had rows of chairs upon it, as well as rails along pathways for those who wished to stand. Surprisingly comfortable, the chairs would prove should one sit upon them, shifting moderately to conform to the body. Notably, the tram's capacity far exceeded that of the contingent, the rail's stretching to the upper levels of a megastructure a dozen kilometers away.

Once loaded, Jonathan passed a hand over the controls, tapping one of the holographic icons that rose from the console. Smoothly the tram set off from the station, humming along with nary a whisper. The view around the transport was breathtaking, a nest of staggeringly tall, mammoth pillars of building illuminated in a light akin to that of a black light, motes of white light coming from windows in numbers to appear as though stars. Over a kilometer from the lowest level of the top tier of Asgard, the firsthand experience of the potential of Dominion engineering was impressive, to say the least.

About fifteen minutes later, the tram docked at the far station, the Dominion hosts stepping off to away their guest delegation. Ryder elaborated on their destination a moment before leading once more across the lobby and down the main hall. "Given the difficulties in direct travel to the Umbral, this center serves as essentially our joint embassy for foreign dignitaries. Capable of housing the full diplomatic staffs of thirty different representatives."

"I must apologize for the empty atmosphere, however. Given recent events, it's been vacant for some time now."

A few minutes later, they arrived at a set of twin doors that cycled open at their approach, the sign above reading: Embassy Hall. Within was a room to beggar a senate floor, with sections marked out in the colored tracery. Each had it's own conference table, and sufficient seating for a staff of one hundred, and at the lowest ring a round, open center table with seats for thirty one. Given the size of the delegation, however, the Councilor merely entered the first dignitary section, the Dominion representatives allowing their guests to take seats at the conference table before they followed suit.

The Councilor opened, a warm smile on his face. "Once again, welcome to the Shade Dominion. It eases us to discover that those we name as friends remain safe amidst the troubles of recent times."

Jonathan continued, his soft, Pittite accent reminiscent to that of an Irishmen of old time. "It must have been a long, and difficult journey. So, what has brought you this far from home?"

as written by Tiko

"We came seeking answers," Shreya explained. "It has been over six months since we have received any supply shipments from the Taiyou, and four months ago we lost all contact with the Andromeda Galaxy. A great many ills have befallen Volaria in the days of late, and when we found Niihama devoid of life we feared the worst for the Shade Dominion and the SEC as well."

as written by Sokka

Damion nodded in agreement with Shreya. "When we arrived at Niihama there were no signs of life, it's as if the entire population of the Taiyou has vanished." Damion added. I have still yet to make contact with the SEC and I fear that my people may have suffered a similar fate." Damion stated.

as written by Lobos

It was the admiral, Killigan, who responded. "I see. Andromeda was struck particularly hard by the issues that flared within space, as best as we can tell. The disruption of our tunnel lanes proved the most troubling here. I see that our communications attempts hadn't worked as a result of this."

Nodding, Dylan acknowledged the fact. "Instabilities threatened the Umbral, and drastic steps had to be taken to secure it against the tide." He didn't deem it critical to divulge his own involvement. Tapping the surface of the board table, he manipulated the holographic console that arose from an emitter, bringing up a datagram of the Umbral, overlaying the storms of cosmic energies on the hologram. "Close to thirty percent of the region was in chaos, but that's since settled. We hadn't detected so much as a tremor in that time, about two months ago. Since that time, efforts have been concentrated on re-instating the tunnel network within the Dominion and assessing what the results of our efforts had been."

"With your arrival, however, we now have a mapped tunnel lane back to the Sol System. We can use that to return far more swiftly than your own voyage has been."

"As to you, Director Teller, we can organize a task force to aid you in attempting to locate your nation and determine their status." Killian spoke, then slid eyes over to the Aschen Commander, Derek. "And you, Commander?"

as written by Tiko

"My purpose here is much the same," Derek answered as Killian addressed him directly. "The Aschen Empire has remained largely unscathed by these events. But we suffered a crippling attack by an unknown entity soon after we lost contact with the Andromeda Galaxy. One of our Isirian watchtowers was destroyed in the attack. I myself was present, and I can say that the battle was over before it even began. Their ships and their technology were far superior to anything we had in the region, and we had no choice but to abandon the system. With our arrangement with the Shade Dominion still in its infancy, there was talk of treachery and abandonment among the military, and the Quorum. I was sent by the Emperor himself to ascertain the truth behind the loss of contact."

as written by Sokka

Damion nodded to the Admiral. It would be good to return to the SEC however if they remained unscathed he feared what he might find. The state of president holiday was not well since they had last spoken. He had begun to wondered if she had been replaced, or worse yet if he had been declared dead and replaced himself. He had been on Valore too long, his influence at home would no doubt be weaker than it was previously.

as written by Lobos

"I can say with absolute sincerity that we had absolutely nothing to do with that attack." Admiral Thermidore intoned, his expression serious. "We can even provide the raw data files on Dominion ship locations over the past six months. We couldn't afford to do anything but internal operations during that time."

He grimaced as the Councilor elaborated. "Outside the Sphere, it was hell. Tunnel Space was entirely out of the question, and most of our time was spent handling the breaches in the Sphere."

"Possibly, this was related to what happened to the SEC, but with the local region as it was, there's no way to confirm that."

Killian turned to Ambassador Shreya and her husband. "What sort of issues has Volaria been facing in this interval of troubles we all seem to have shared?"

as written by Tiko

"If it were just me, I would say that is woefully unnecessary," Derek answered. "It is plain to see that you have had your own share of troubles to contend with. But for appeasing the Quorum, it would be best if I can return with something tangible that they can see, rather than simply my word for it. We can handle the matter at your leisure," he added before the conversation shifted back to the matter of the Volarians.

"Many I am afraid to say," Shreya answered heavily. "If it were the loss of the shipments alone, then Volaria would endure. But our lands were struck by a drought of the sort we have never known. Famine and disease run rampant. The Matriarch fears for the future of Volaria if the trade routes to the Andromeda Galaxy are not restored."

as written by Lobos

Killigan nodded to Commander Derek, eyes losing their focus as he accessed his neural implant, triggering a series of messages to underlings to collate the data into a neutral form for the man.

"The matter of shipments, in the interval, is a slack we can pick up." Killian responded to Shreya, his tone confident. "A matter of days to organize the material and vessels, and we can depart at full haste for the Sol System to deliver. Call it three weeks."

as written by Sokka

Damion nodded, "In the mean time I hope to make contact with the SEC. If the situation at home is similar to the situation here then we may be able to send additional relief to aid if this tradelane can be opened."

Damion turned to the Admiral "I don't want to sound over bearing on ungrateful but You mentioned a task force to reach the SEC how long would you anticipate it to be for me to return to SEC space?" Damion asked.

as written by Tiko

"That is refreshing and welcome news," Shreya replied sincerely. "On behalf of the Matriarch, and the Volarian people, I would extend our gratitude."

as written by Lobos

Killian replied with a smile. "And for your efforts, Ambassador, we thank you, for renewing our contact with the outside world.

Killigan consulted his implant a moment before responding to Damion. "Roughly a week, Director."

as written by barney_fife and Lobos

Somewhere on the edge of the umbralto sector

As the Kianna investigation progressed, it lead Aschen authorities to the Umbral sector, the location where Zaria had fled with Kianna. MThe mission was fairly simple, to make contact with the shade dominion and recover Kianna so she could be returned to the Empire for questioning.

The Intrepid class cruiser, the Defiant finished the final leg of its journey just in the nick of time. Emerging from Ftl in a clear relatively calm patch of space utilizing navigation data from the Alteran database at Proclarush Taonas coupled with extrapolation from extremely high resolution stellar analysis and comparison with the the Alteran Navigational Cartouche on the Aschen world of Outlook. All this was compared with data filtered in from aschen spies within the axis prior to losing contact.

Once out of Ftl, the Defiants extremely sophisticated astrometrics systems kicked into high gear, recording stellar, spatial, and navigation data in real time, while the Defiant began to broadcast a standard diplomatic identifier complete with automated hail. Now that the line had been cast, it was only a matter of time.

____

"Border Station Epsilon, answering diplomatic hail, this is a wideband open channel. Please identify and state your purpose."

On the station, floating amidst a vast asteroid belt, personnel operating the station's sensory array worked to home in on the hail's origin, fine-tuning their instruments for range, directing observational telescopes towards the region as they drew closer to locating the vessel. Communications section was in contact with Control, an Ensign handling the contact as the side panel of her display held the face of Epsilon's CO, Commander Harriford.

"Identifiers point towards Aschen, Commander, but our intel is out of date."

"Carry on, Ensign Jules. Sensor is tracking, and this line is open."

"Aye sir."

____

"That didn't take long." Commander Sunleth commented to herself, as she turned to her first officer. "Colonel, reply on screen." The raven haired IIA officer said, and the reply was piped through a sophisticated communications array.

"This is Commander Aeryn Sunleth of the Aschen Intrepid class exploratory ship Defiant, I'm here to address the Dominion government in a parlay, regarding the disappearance of our former Empress." She replied.

The bridge crew of the Defiant waited silently for a reply, while the Information officer went over the evidence package put together by Special Agent Connors.

____

"Station Epsilon, hold for response."

Muting the channel on her end, Jules glanced at her CO, noting his frown. "Package message and burst it to Alpha, with instructions to pass it through the Sphere. Then open and instruct to maneuver to Lane 2 Entry Pending. This might take a few minutes."

"Aye sir." Her hands danced over the holo-displays, wrapping the communique in a transmission package and routing that to the inward facing transmission relays, firing it through the whisker relay to Border Station Alpha for forwarding to High Command and the Council. This task completed, the young woman activated her microphone once more, readdressing the Defiant.

"Commander Sunleth, Defiant, we are routing your request to higher authority for response, pending, we request you maneuver to a hold lane at coordinates attached to this communication. Request patience." Attaching the coordinates, the message was sent out on the wideband.

____

"Understood." The Commander replied before she turned towards her executive officer. "Forward the coordinates to the helm, we'll play the waiting game." Sunleth said before she shifted in her seat.

"Get a few prowlers ready just in case, we shouldn't need them, but you never know."

It was time to play the waiting game as the Defiant, a ship that to the Dominion matched no known Aschen configurations and was packed to the gills with sophisticated sensor arrays, what seemed unusual for an Aschen ship was the lack of any visible weapon batteries.

____

As those working in Sensor finally got eyes on the vessel, they updated Commander Harriford with a still shot. The man studied the holographic image, comparing it to known Aschen vessels and finding no matches. "What have they cooked up now, I wonder?"

Opening a channel to Sensor, he gave orders to pan around, looking for blackdrops, or regions where distant stars in sight-line were obscured. It was a long shot intended to try and find "dark" vessels running quiet to slide under the radar, but it was worth checking out.

---

Inside the Umbral, discussion over the contact was brief, and concluded with the dispatch of High Admiral Killigan on a courier shuttle to Border Station Alpha. Channels were arranged between the network of stations around the Sphere and secured for real-time feeds, as a second chain was established through one of the Sphere's Pylons on an override module to allow swifter communication with the Council within on an as-needed basis. Escorted as swiftly as possible to the CIC of the Alpha station, the admiral was given the room as it's personnel filed out, arrangements made for non-critical personnel to be absent through the intervening station communications sectors.

The entire process took about thirty seven minutes.

A pair of aides remained with Killigan as he made himself comfortable in his seat, bringing up his holodisplays and isolating them from the visual feed prepared. With a final sigh, he begun.

"Commander Sunleth, your message has been heard. This is High Admiral Killigan Thermidore, transmitting from Border Station Alpha. Your message states you are inquiring after your Empress, and this is something we are somewhat confused on. Please clarify the nature of your inquiry."

____

Sunleth waited patiently through the time it took for the dominion to set up everything to communicate with the Aschen diplomatic team. Even as they scanned for stealth vessels, of which they would find none as the complement of Aschen prowlers were docked within the Intrepid Class ship.

"Colonel, the intelligence package if you would." She said, before she responded to Killigan's message, thirty seven minutes later.

Unlike the typical Aschen ship, which was built to intimidate and incite fear, the Intrepid class ship's sleek design was evident that she was an exploration and diplomatic vessel, perhaps out of character for a typical Aschen MO.

The intelligence package the IIA painstakingly put together from the investigation carried out by special agent Kathryn Connors was downloaded to the helm, information regarding Zaria and her involvement in Kiannas disappearance.

The package began transmitting to the Dominion, with classified information redacted by the IIA.

"What I am sharing with you is classified information, and has been authorized in the spirit of good faith and diplomatic cooperation. We have reason to believe One of your former midnight operatives kidnapped our Empress, while some elements believe this was a deliberate attempt by th Dominion to destabilize the Aschen Government. Emperor Isambard Prince believes otherwise, I'd like you to review this intelligence package, and perhaps assist us on this investigation."

____

"Alright. Allow us a bit of time to view the contents."

Thermidore himself had to wait as the incoming packet was received, isolated, and thoroughly turned over by the stations' AIs at each stage for malware that might be included in the contents, whether out in the open or hidden. Though tiring, it was understood and endured without complaint, the security of the Dominion's systems and networks was something that was not to be risked, ever.

As the packet cleared the inspections, the packet was converted and loaded to Thermidore's displays, and he viewed over the data, observing the video and audio logs, scanning over notes, running software to compare hard data against the on-station database to verify what he could about this "Zaria Malcom". Clinical in his approach, he began to began to run programs to dissect that contents into sections in a logical fashion, while he waited for the verifier to complete its comparisons and return what it could from the Midnight Thirteen databases.

He was unsurprised when the process delved into the archives, and after about ten minutes fed back a dossier that was not precisely identical to the one provided by the Aschen. This he opened, skimmed, and then closed, a sense of puzzled curiosity growing. The profile, one "Zarai Mahlcomb", matched the physical description and image, but the summary listed the person as confirmed as deceased, with notation to method and confirming operatives. Entering his clearance credentials, he waited for the classification routines to decrypt the dossier to his clearance level, then cursed when it only lifted a marginal amount of the redacted information. Skimming that only confirmed further the details leading up to the termination noted, and he closed that line down with a sigh.

Comparing the new information that that provided, he requested the personality profile of the dossier to be applied to the provided evidence, and for a commentary on likeliness to be provided on the prospective chances of the suspected actions to be taken from the station's AI suites. A few minutes later, his request was returned, and the data was not favorable for the suspicions of the case. Shaking his head, he reopened the line.

"As far as can be determined, Commander, the evidence you provided doesn't accurately conclude with our intelligence on the subject in question. There's nothing to conclude that the suspicions are accurate, and further, our intel points at your subject being deceased."

____

"Well, as you can see, the Intel you have that points to her being deceased, is flawed." Sunleth replied, though the suspicions nagged in the back of her mind, she cast them aside for the time being in favor of niecities.

"I'm transmitting the DNA profile from our central registry for you to compare with your own profiles, either this was a top level job, or you have a rogue agent with our empress hiding in Dominion Space." She said.

Going through some more data, she transmitted a description of the transport Zaria used to flee Aschen space, and Sunleth posed her next question.

"She escaped in a stealth transport with a modified FTL drive, something that could travel great distances quickly, have any vessels fitting the description provided cross dominion borders?"

____

"DNA records don't exist for members of the Midnight organization." The admiral replied, matter-of-factly. "Nor do records of any such entrance exist, though the chances of such an event occurring unnoticed, when aided by someone who knows how to navigate the border, exist."

Thermidore's eyes were narrow, unsure on whether he faced droll humor or a veiled accusation. "The chances of it continuing unnoticed, however, decrease significantly should there be such a high profile individual. And no such suspicions are present inside the Umbral Sector."

____

Sunleth narrowed her own eyes in suspicion as she regarded Thermidore's reply. She muted him for just a moment as she turned her attention towards one of her bridge officers.

"A hundred cubits says she's rotting in some dominion torture facility while they give us the runaround." She commented, while a bridge officer piped up.

"Wouldn't surprise me, with as many people that wanted her dead." One of the Lieutenants replied. Once the brief conversation was finished, Sunleth returned the audio to the communications feed.

"We have it on good authority that she fled to this sector of space, since the Dominion has far more efficient intelligence systems out here, is there a chance you could assist us in locating Kianna, and recovering her."

____

"If Empress Mollem was within the Umbral Sector, we would know about it. I don't know about your "good authority", but it's conclusion is flawed." The admiral replied calmly, frowning. "In the light of that, Commander Sunleth, I have no idea how we might be of help to you."

____

Once again the commander muted the Admiral to discuss the matter with her crew. "I'm not buying it." She said aloud. "I know the game, once a deep agent, always a deep agent. This Zaria is working for the Dominion Government. She kidnapped Kianna as part of an op." Sunleth said, frowning some.

"Colonel Maxwell, you have the conn. Take the ship back to the Empire, my notations will be submitted as part of a black file message to the IIA. Also, get Alpha squad to their prowlers." She ordered, before she unmuted the communication.

"Very well, Admiral. We will conduct our search elsewhere, give us a few moments to diagnose an issue in our Ftl system, and then we will depart your system."

She then promptly terminated the communication, before she rose up from her command chair.

"I'll be preparing my prowler." She said, before she turned to leave the bridge.

____

Sighing as the link terminated, the admiral ping'd the station command via his neural plant, signaling that operations could resume as normal. Sweeping a hand through the holodisplays, he brought the data onto a tech-pad, then rose from the command chair. Nodding to his aides, he made his way from the station, making a note to the commander to keep and eye on the Intrepid on it's way out of the local area.

It wasn't too long after that he shuttled from the Alpha station back through the Sphere, returning to the Meliron system.

____

Everything was being checked, checked over and diagnosed as the prowlers were prepared for launch. Sunleth took one last look at the files before she made a face. It didn't add up, and it prompted Sunleth to try a different approach.

Making her way back to the bridge of the Intrepid class ship, she made her way back into the command chair.

"Open a channel back to the Dominion, Priority one." She ordered, and a confused Lieutenant cantered his head.

"Commander?" He asked, before he followed the command, sending a priority one channel back to Alpha station, hoping to catch Killigan before he departed the station.

"Dominion Command, I need to reopen a channel with the Admiral, priority one."

____

"Admiral Killigan, the
Defiant has reopened communications, requesting you."

The communique came through the cybernetics the man possessed, a silent message directly to the bones in his ears. Pausing in his stride, he returned to the CIC, motioning the staffing officers to remain where they were. Signaling the communications controller, the channel opened.

"Admiral Thermidore answering. You had something further to discuss, Commander Sunleth?"

____

"I did." She replied, going over the data in the investigation once more. "Call it an accusation, Admiral. But I find it exceptionally strange that this former dominion midnight agent who is supposed to be dead, somehow shows up in a Cryon slave market, and eventually finds her way into the employ of Kianna McGregor." She said, before she paused.

"And then she, suddenly and inexplicably without any obvious motive kidnaps Kianna, acquires a stealth ship that is capable of traveling great distances quickly, utilizing an intergalactic Ftl drive, and then escapes. You want to tell me an agent of yours who is supposed to be dead, isn't working for the Dominion? I'm not buying it, Admiral." She said, making a face.

"Our new emperor wants to avoid further hostilities with the Dominion if possible, and has granted me broad authority in this matter. That being said, you can keep denying any knowledge of ever being involved, or we can meet to negotiate the terms of her release. No hostilities, no strings, we just want her back, and want you to name your price."

____

Thermidore's facial expression shifted to that of a flat, neutral mien, hearing the Aschen out. The atmosphere in the CIC was tense enough to carve with a knife, astonished faces staring at the holo-display.

"My...price?" The distaste in his voice was exaggerated and evident, the shift of his face not unlike that of an adult explaining things to a child. "There will be no price. Hurling such accusations of false participation in the actions of a subject that our records indicate for all intents and purposes is no longer a member of the Shade Dominion, be it in death or otherwise, has decided our course of action. Good day to you, Commander Sunleth. I offer apologies you came such a long way to return empty handed, but mark me, when local issues with superluminal communications are opened, formal complaints will be lodged against you personally with Aschen High Command."

"Terminate this channel, and make sure our guests depart in a timely manner, with attention to potential mechanical failures." The controller terminated the connection as ordered, and Killigan departed with curt nods to the operations crew.

____

The commander scoffed before she brought up the status screens.

"Clear Alpha team for departure, I will have to personally brief the Emperor on this matter."

The Intrepid slowly turned on its keel, ejecting a pile of garbage out from its rear hangar bay, allowing the trio of stealthed Prowlers to emerge silently from the rear of the Defiant.

Once the prowlers were clear, they used the ionized wake of the Defiant's impulse engines to obscure their departure further, before running deep silent amidst space debris, matching their speed and trajectory perfectly. The Prowlers' highly sophisticated stealth systems kicked to life, obfuscating sensors and making the stealth ships appear little more than noise amidst the background of space. Trash, debris, whatever you wanted to call it. It was anything but a ship.

The Defiant pulled away slowly, before it began to accelerate rapidly, it's impulse drives propelling it out before its Alcubierre drive engaged, and it shot out into the blackness of space.

as written by barney_fife and Lobos

Some time later...

It had been awhile after the defiant had departed, things had been relatively quiet on the Aschen front since Comander Sunleth's diplomatic faux pas.

Using the emergency coordinates provided to the Aschen by the Dominion, a single vessel dropped out of FTL in the specified location. Unlike the Intrepid class ship, which bore cutting edge technology, sleek curves, and a highly sophisticated impulse drive. This vessel was boxy, it's overall size was significantly larger than that of the Intrepid class, and it's configuration matched that of a Sagittaron Class Battlecruiser from before the Great War of Magellan.

Mollem Mcgregor checked his coordinates, and his paid mercenary crew ran their systems checks before he opened up a wide band channel.

"Honorable Shade Dominion, this is Mollem McGregor, of the Kobols Gleaming, requesting a personal audience with your leaders, please respond.

____

"Kobols Gleaming, this is Border Station Epsilon answering hail. Please hold, message is being routed."

Silence for a few minutes, as channels opened and communications sped away through the ether. A cross-Sphere line was opened, as the face and voice of Jonathan Tetra answered the hail. The man was sipping at a glass of tea, seated in comfortable enough surroundings.

"Emperor Mcgregor, this is an unexpected occasion." The Midnight Master begun, the faint Irish accent that was his Pittite heritage reflecting on his words. "To what is the pleasure owed? I'm afraid that the members of the Council are otherwise pre-occupied at this very instant, but perhaps with a little discussion we can see about whether that status is justifiably altered?"

This was punctuated by another sip from his cup.

____

Mollem remained quiet for a moment, before he keyed up his response. "While I appreciate the formality, I am no longer the emperor, nor am I acting in the interests of the Aschen empire." He said, not into one of his bridge officers, he looked back on but the screen. "I have an urgent personal matter, that I would like to discuss in person, your eminence. "

As he spoke, the battle cruiser remain stationary. Mollem directed his attention to a briefcase situated on the floor next to the command chair.

"A great many things happened within the empire during our Lull in communications The quorum decided that they no longer wish to have me as emperor. With your permission, I would like to travel into the dominion to meet with you and the council personally, I will explain, and except responsibility for everything I am about to tell."

____

Really now? This is interesting. Tetra thought on it a moment, weighing the options.

"In light of the unique standards of the circumstances, I'm approving your passage through the Sphere. Allow a few minutes as preparations are made to that order, and though it seems degrading, please tell your crew to obey any orders they receive as passage is being processed. That's for your protection. We'll talk again in a few minutes." Terminating that channel, Jonathan set his tea aside, rising and striding towards a console that projected its holographic controls at his motion. Manipulating the console, he set about issuing orders and clearances.

---

As promised, a few minutes later, Epsilon began to talk again.

"Kobols Gleaming, you are cleared for a cross-sphere jump. We read your location clearly, and are uploading exit coordinates. You have a 10% degree of vector flexibility, so advise, please maintain bearing. Escorts are waiting are the far side. Try not to miss, Kobols.

____

Mollem offered a nod before he replied. "you won't be disappointed." At that moment, he turned to his crew. He began to speak up. "Follow any orders from the dominion as if they came from me, this is a very touchy area of space. I would prefer not to navigate it myself."

With the coordinates uploaded, the crew begin the process them into the jump drive computers. Calculating the vector and readying the FT L array. The ship was prepared to jump.

" jump on my Mark, lock coordinates ."Mollem ordered. The crew quickly and efficiently process the coordinates and the battle cruiser was ready to jump.

The ship made its jump, locked onto the target coordinates on the other side anticipating the dominion ships that were waiting to escort them to their destination .

____

Flanking on either side of the coordinates were a pair of Thanatos battleships, kilometer and a half long vessels broadcasting the names Wyrm's Fangs and Slayer's Grace. Weapons shipped at the moment, it was a matter of second before the Grace hailed on the wideband.

"You've made it, Kobols Gleaming. If you'll follow us, our destination is the Lair IV station. ETA about half an hour."

The vessels vectored ahead, smoothly maneuvering on their gravity drives.

---

"Lair IV to incoming formation, identify."

"Lair IV, this is SDS Slayer's Grace and Wyrm's Fangs, escorting Kobols Gleaming for docking."

"Verifying...Handshakes clear, Captain Amarai. You and Mellow can resume your patrols. [/I]Kobols Gleaming you are cleared for Dock Nine, uploading flight plan now. On exit, follow the guide paths, they'll take you to your accommodations. Master Tetra is waiting for you there."

The flight plan indicated led to a cavernous bay with multiple berths, only two others on the other side of the bay occupied with vessels in their cradles. The open hangar seemed merely open to space, but crossing through it revealed the fields that separated the hangar from the vacuum outside, personnel evident moving about the other side of the hangar, nearly eight kilometers away. On exit, illuminated paths gleamed on the ground, the azure hued lights sliding away, indicating the path.

When those departing the ship arrived about ten minutes and a tram ride later, they would approach a bulkhead that furled back into the walls at their approach, revealing a spacious quarters with a kitchenette and dining area comparable in size to a restaurant's. On the other side of the main area, a recreation section was plain, with couches, chairs, and consoles scattered about. Reclining in one was Tetra, who rose and smiled.

"Welcome to the Dominion, Mr. McGregor."

____

Everything proceeded smoothly, the bridge crew of the battle cruiser complied with every directive that the dominion provided them. "Acknowledged, proceeding at speed." The Helmsman replied.

The battle cruiser approach, and as it did so it was evident that it weapons batteries have been disabled. She was completely at the mercy of the shade dominion. McGregor was quiet during the tram ride and the initial checks. He clenched the briefcase in his hands tightly, contained within was a computer memory disk, sensitive documentation, and a shimmering blue crystal containing they felt jewelry container.

As he approached tetra, he offered a respectful now before speaking. "I appreciate you taking the time to meet with me personally on such short notice. As I said before, I am not acting within the interests of the Aschen Empire." He explained.

"I've come before you seeking the whereabouts of my wife." He explained, before setting in the briefcase on a nearby table.

"When I was still emperor, and incident occurred on Valore. I gave the order for the military to carry out an operation against the TNG. At that time my wife employed an individual who was at one point part of your dominion. I know your government has declared her dead, and say she is no longer acting on the interests of the dominion." Mollem said.

"But one can't help but question the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, since she disappeared roughly the same time I gave that order." He added.

" if you have any information that you can offer me, I will tell you everything I know about the Aschen Empire." He said sincerely. "force deployment, weapons research, everything." He added.

____

Up till that point, Jonathan had been calm, collected. His reaction was still carefully schooled, but he noticeably paused, slowly glancing between Mollem and the briefcase. The accent evaporated as he finally spoke a few moments later.

"You sure know how to perk the Council's interest, Mr. McGregor." Gesturing to the case, he quirked a brow. "May I check that, as a formality?"

The implications that were dawning on one of Midnight's most elite was certainly disconcerting.

____

He nodded slightly before he pressed his thumb on the biometric lock, the briefcase opened with an audible click. Inside were documents, a few schematics, and a small jewelry box.

Opening the jewelry box it revealed a shimmering square shaped blue crystal. A memory crystal of Alteran origin.

"All this in exchange for information leading to my missing wife." Mollem said, shutting the briefcase.

____

Nodding absently, Jonathan drew a device from his pocket, unfolding it as he examined the contents, sweeping the case itself as well as the assorted items. Glancing at the sniffer, he read at the readout, while it scanned for bugs, bombs, and hidden compartments with a penetrating radar, flickering a few settings to gain a complete picture.

Once completed and the readout checked to ensure none were present, he signaled with his hand, and the holographic avatars of the thirteen members of the Council would come into being on the various furniture. Dylan Ryder. Grand Admiral Tytus Pelliger, and Vice Grand Admirals Juno Jenns and Mark Tombs. Generals Rakan Thrawn, Kyler Maxim, and Laura Hollinger. Orphus Rayviel, of Rayviel Co. Leo Nilheim, of Leo Arms. Everest Thurman, CEO of Genesis Engineering. Kaite Goldinger, Hephaestus. Jack Raggan, Triple Helix Designs. And Qu Qan Chi, Snowblind's CEO.

The head of the technocracy. Each representative at the highest levels of government and economics. Mollem's voice had been heard far indeed. Chi motioned first, his ancient voice heavily inflected with a Chinese accent to it.

"Please, explain in full, Mollem McGregor. You have earned our attention, now let us hear your case."

____

Mollem cleared his throat once more, before he spoke up.

"Several weeks ago, there was an incident on the planet Valore, while I am not entirely certain on the specifics, I was led to believe that several sensitive pieces of technology were at risk of capture by the TNG. I gave the order for the Imperial navy to launch an operation on Valore to secure those pieces of technology. What followed can only be described as an absolute cluster that resulted in my removal from office, and 800,000 dead servicemen." He explained.

Shortly after I gave that order, my wife Kianna disappeared." He added, taking a breath before continuing. " I understand that the empire sent somebody, and they provided you footage from my ship of the moments before the kidnapping, if you do not have access to it I can provide a copy. As I said, she disappeared and a former citizen of the dominion was responsible."

"I looked into the investigation, as well as conducted my own private investigation, evidence suggests that she fled to this corner of space. I have no interest on behalf of the empire, I simply want my wife back. So I have come before you, humbly seeking information, or perhaps her release. And in exchange, like I explained to your representative. I am offering everything I know about the Aschen Empire if you can provide me information that leads to Kianna, or if you can secure her release." Mollem pleaded.

____

"We see." Rayviel replied, looking across at his peers. "Admiral Thermidore had us updated with the last query, by a Commander Sunleth. Further investigation into the matter had not been taken as of this time, but."

"What you offer puts you at rather extreme odds with the Empire, does it not? This is the kind of intelligence, that while it may be out of date, offers a far more clear picture of the goings-on of a competing nation. The risk you take is great, and from a clinical perspective, the reward is slight."

"That intelligence's worth is priceless, Orphus, and you know it." Tytus leaned forward, slamming his hand down on a table not present in the room. "Though it does beggar a question. What else would you request, Mollem? Surely the completion of deal puts you in a status among your home that marks you as a dead man.

The rest of the Council nodded, turning to the Aschen to hear his response.

____

"political asylum within the dominion for me and Kianna" Mollem said. "A nice estate on the bluff somewhere to live the rest of my life out." He added. "As it stands, I have nothing to lose. I have a few friends within the Ministry of law. Because of my wife, and my decision to marry a Terran. I am being brought up on charges of treason, once the ministries investigation concludes. As you know, within the empire the punishment for treason is death by public drawing and quartering. I'm partial to living personally, and believe you can help me find my wife."

"That is my price, my wife, asylum, a nice place to retire with it livable income." He said, shifting uncomfortably.

"Personally, honorable councilmembers I believe that Imperio socialism is going to be the death of my people. I do not want to be among them when they inevitably anger somebody more powerful than the day and are destroyed because of it ."

____

"So both sides of the sword are lain bare." Qu Qan Chi uttered, his avatar rising and pacing. "Refusal sends a man to die. Acceptance has us harbor a marked man.

Elder eyes locked onto the once Emperor, their possessor the oldest member of the Council by far. "Call your votes of accepting Mollem's request, submit your answers to me now."

Avatars paused, frozen statues as the vote was cast. Only the Snowblind CEO remained animate, studying the Aschen intently. His peers began to move again, all eyes intent on the man.

Chi appeared to study something closer before him. A breath.

"Your exchange is accepted, Mollem McGregor. Nine votes for, two against, and two abstained from the decision. You shall have your investigation."

____

"Thank you, honorable council members; you won't regret your decision." He said, heaving a sigh before he opened the briefcase up once more.

"The documents are encrypted, the computer chip contains a cypher program to decode them." He said, turning towards Tetra

"I'll honor my side of the bargain, where do you want me to start?"

____

"For now, here." Ryder spoke up, glancing at his fellows. "To allow for a smoother transitions from point to point within the Dominion, you'll need to be integrated into it. Papers, identification, and licensing. You'll also need a far less conspicuous ship if you intend to remain here quietly under the radar."

Turning his eyes to Killian, he addressed the Midnight man next. "It's already been decided that Midnight will be aiding the investigation. Start shaking the tree Jonathan. If there's information that's hiding behind Thirteen's data-slicing related to this, that will be needed to streamline the process. The Council will not be pleased if we run into a wall of the organization's making."

"Yes sir. The only issue I might perceive is related to Husk's Tier, but from what I gathered from the chatter in house, Zarai was under Treach." Nodding, Ryder refocused his gaze to Mollem. "Jonathan will be your liason with our internals handling this case."

____

Mollem offered a slight nod. "I understand, however I would like the crew to have safe passage back to Imperial space. I would then like the ship to be placed in secure storage, it has sentimental value to me, and will be the last vestige of my home." He said, nervously shifting. So hopefully you'll have better luck with this investigation than the IIA." He explained.

"I understand it will probably be a transition for me, certainly a culture shock if anything." He said, swallowing hard before speaking up again.

"All right then, what precisely would you like to know?" Mollem asked.

____

"If you're ready to begin your debriefing, I'll take you to the Faraday." Jonathan spoke up. "If you'd prefer to rest first, we can transfer the hard materials there instead and begin tomorrow."

"It's your choice, Mollem," Ryder said as he looked at the images of some of his fellows making their exits after brief utterings of farewell. "Your formal integration into the Dominion should take no more than a few days. After that, we'll need you to help us with the partial decommission of your vessel to prep for storage. That is also a formality, though a necessary one. The crew will of course be dispatched to their homes unharmed, though they will have to undergo an Agency procedure as part of the process."

"All of this is designed for the proper method of covering your tracks. With the information you hold and offer, the degree of treason the Empire would levy on your shoulders is perhaps one of the most severe in its history, we would imagine. As such, we need to do more than simply make you "disappear". For all intents and purposes, we are going to have to stage your death Mollem."

Back