The Vampire's Apprentice

Clancy let out a sudden squall and jerked back, grabbing at his arm where she'd poked him. "Why would you do that?" he howled in anguish.

Clancy didn't move. Didn't twitch. He wasn't breathing (obviously), and his stillness was creepy. One eye was slightly open and glassy.

"Rawr!" Clancy growled, snapping upright, careful not to accidentally smack into her. He hooked his fingers and growled at her, flashing his fangs. A dreadful sight! But after a couple of seconds, he was having difficulty retaining his smile.

Kitty drew her arms back, keeping them tightly balled near her chest. There was a moment of silence in which the only thing she could hear was her heartbeat. It was broken by the soft rustling of fabric as she hugged him tightly, burying her face in the collar of his shirt.

"Ah, Kitty," Clancy chuckled, hugging her, his Irish accent coming out more. "I was only teasing, lass. I'm fine. You shan't do me in with a wee pencil."

"I was scared!" She sobbed, grasping him tighter. Her tears and voice were slightly muffled. "I thought I killed you."

"Wee little Kitty, I'm fine. I don't think you could kill me if you tried, and I know you wouldn't." He caressed her hair gently. "I'm fine, and I always will be. We'll be fine, alright?"

Kitty nodded, but didn't release him. She didn't want him to disappear; instead choosing to remain somewhere amongst his shirt, buried in the calm scent of cleanliness.

Clancy shifted in his chair then carefully and easily pulled Kitty into his lap. "I am sorry I frightened you," he said, cradling her like a child. "I did not think you would take it so badly."

Clancy smiled quietly. "I thought I was already dead," he pointed out gently. "But I will not leave you. I promise. You are stuck with me."

"Well... don't ever die a second time." Kitty closed her eyes, fists still grasping his shirt. She inhaled the smell of tidiness that followed him everywhere. "For as long as forever takes."

"That's not it," she interjected around "well taken care of" and looked up at him. "It's not my wellbeing I'm worried about."

She mumbled something in consideration, shrinking back into his clothing. "True. That's true." Kitty sighed. "Very true."

Back