The Vampire's Apprentice

"Y-yeah." There was a moment of hesitation before she pulled herself off of his lap and sat in her own chair again; yet another moment before she found another question to ask. It was the one regarding mist, and since Kitty herself didn't entirely understand the lore behind it, she used Norville's wording.

"Can a vampire change shape into a mist? A vapour that can guide itself around?"

"Oh, the mist," Clancy sniffed. "No, there is not 'misting' for vampires. I have no idea where the idea that we could turn into mist or fog or other such nonsense came from."

"Hmm...." Kitty nodded, figuring that explanation enough. She wrote it down while considering how best to phrase the next question. "You said... once... that some vampires prefer to control their familiars. How... exactly? What does it look like?"

"Hypnosis," Clancy said promptly. "Continual and powerful hypnosis. It cuts down on the probability of betrayal, but it also slowly degrades the mind if it is applied continuously over a long period of time."

"Because familiars are viewed as pets, at best, and convenient tools to be used until broken at worst," Clancy shrugged. "Very few vampires fulfill most familiar's wish of Turning them - though that is not every Familiar's wish, it is a prevalent one - and it is safer for the vampire, usually. Beyond that... most just do not care."

"Unfortunate, really...." Kitty contemplated this. "I've forgotten how many questions I've asked, but I've got at least one more."

Clancy waved his hand in an inviting manner. "I have not been paying attention. These are somewhat more interesting questions than whether or not I would wish to be able to open a door."

Kitty tried not to take his comment to heart. "I'm not one to look too hard at the future, but will there ever be a day you decide to turn me? Not that I'm wishing or anything," she wasn't. "It's just been on my mind."

Clancy raised a brow at her and studied his little familiar, his expression inscrutable. "Do you wish to be a vampire, my little Familiar?"

"Do I? Not right now, and not anytime soon..." Kitty contemplated a little further, "but maybe someday...." She scratched at her head, thoughtfulness evaporating. "I've gotta be crazy, thinking about this."

"Indeed you are," he said firmly. "While I would not say it is outside of the realm of possibility, it is highly doubtful I will ever turn you."

Clancy nodded and rose. "Good. I am having a couch delivered tomorrow. Please ensure it is properly placed in the living room. While I do not see the point in fully furnishing the place, I would like a place to sit." He paused. "Oh, yes, how did your research go with driver's education?"

"Which one did you choose? I will look into it tonight," Clancy asked. "Were you able to ascertain when they started class?"

"I wrote it down on the note itself.... It's upstairs." Kitty flipped her notepad shut and started towards her room. "Better if I show you, anyways."

"Alright." He followed her up the stairs. "Hopefully, we will be able to get you enrolled soon. Perhaps you could ask Mrs. Mooney to drive with you during the day for practice? In exchange, she may use the car to get to and from work. Provided she does not have either food or drink in the car."

"Yeah. That sounds fine." Kitty agreed. She stopped at the top to wait for him. "Speaking of Mrs. Mooney, what was that thing you were talking about with her earlier?"

Back