The Vampire's Apprentice

"I can get that," Clancy agreed. He stood and straightened his shirt. "I shan't be long, and I shall return with the dog's food. Is there anything else?"

"Is there?" She asked Norville—assuming he was still awake. There wasn't anything else she could think of, but maybe there was something he could?

Norville shook his head. "I can't think of anything. Thank you."
"Then if you are still awake when I return, I will see you then," Clancy said cheerfully. He grabbed his hat and walked out.

"I can leave, if you want," Norville said softly once Kitty had returned. "I'm sorry. It seems like I'm nothing but trouble for you, so I'll... I'll go."

She watched him for a moment, thinking of what to say. What would she say? Where were the right words that she always seemed to have?

Kitty pinched the corner of her mouth between her teeth. "Stay." She replied. "Just stay."

Norville looked at her mournfully. "Do you really want me to stay, Kitty Cat? I feel like all I do is cause you pain," he whispered. "You don't deserve that."

She sat down on his bed. "Yes, I want you to stay. I'm fine." Kitty gave a tired smile. "Just a little shaken up. You haven't done anything wrong."

Norville hesitated then held out his arms. "Want a hug?" he offered. "It's a big bed, you can chill out over here for a little bit. If you'd like."

"Alright," Kitty answered. She settled herself into his arms, even if she didn't return the gesture. "I can stay, too."

Norville snuggled up with a little sigh, hugging her as a brother might. He wouldn't have admitted it to her, but he needed the comfort as much as he felt she needed it. "Don't worry," he whispered. "I bet once we get a house, everything will settle down, and our lives will get downright boring."

Norville patted her back lightly as he closed his eyes and relaxed. "Come on, Kitty Cat. Half of what makes dreams come true is believing them to be true."

Kitty didn't reply to that. He was right. Things could happen if one believed. So, she chose to believe. Better than nothing.

Norville yawned and snuggled up. In minutes, he was sound asleep. He was too exhausted to think, to worry, to fear anything.

Kitty opted to stay. It was better here than on her own bed, alone. There was warmth here, too; not just her own heat against a body devoid of it. Nice, to say the least. Comfortable. Another reason she would remain; drifting off not long after Norville himself.

Clancy came in and closed the door. He noticed Sam giving him a suspicious look then settling back down when the dog realized it was just the vampire returning. Clancy gave the dog a pat and put down the huge bag of dog feed he'd picked up before turning first to Kitty's bed. It was empty. Puzzled, he turned to Norville's bed.

There were two breathing lumps in one bed.

Frowning, he stepped closer. The two teens were curled up together, their faces still bearing the lines of stress and exhaustion. They looked like children to him. Scared little children huddling together for comfort. He frowned then let out a sigh, his shoulder relaxing. Who was he to deny them this? Instead of waking them, he fetched a blanket from the empty bed and laid it over them both, tucking it in lightly. They were safe, warm, and innocent. Let them cling to that while they could.

Before going out again, Clancy wrote a note basically telling Kitty to enjoy a day on the town and perhaps look around at the housing market a bit. He already had, but he was curious to see what type of houses these two would be drawn to. Then he slipped away to find a bit of dinner.

Daylight was interfering. Kitty buried her face just a little bit further into the dark recesses of the blanket, pressing close to whatever was secreting heat beside her. Half-awake was perfect for going back to sleep, in her opinion. She let out a small sigh and savored the warmth.

Norville mumbled and shifted fretfully, only just startingto wake. He hugged Kitty instinctively, pressing his face into the blankets.

The warmth moved.

It took her a moment, but she looked up from her place under the blankets, squinting at the daylight. Why was Norville in her bed...? Better yet, should she be weirded out by it or totally chill?

Back