The Vampire's Apprentice

Norville gave Sam a piece of his toast, as well, and chewed on the crunchy bread. "Um... well, a visit to the library is in order for work and because libraries are cool. Then maybe we could go to the docks again?" he asked hopefully. "I want to see a dolphin."

Kitty thought about it. "Do you think they have dolphins up here?" She asked. Either way, this sounded like a nice plan, to her. An oddly familiar plan....

Norville hesitated, a momentary frown crossing his face. "I don't know. I thought it was ocean-y and all oceans had them. Am I wrong?"

She shrugged. "That's what the library's good for, isn't it? Bet we can find something on that while we're there."

Kitty shoved the last bit of her food into her mouth and nodded. She picked up the plate and disposed of it before returning to Norville.

Norville awkwardly climbed out of his corner chair. His annoying walking cast made things a little difficult when getting up from tight places. He grabbed Sam's leash and passed it over to kitty. "there you go!"

She accepted the leash and made sure Norville was with her before heading towards outside. The thought of a library had her excited. Very, very excited. What sort of a library would it be? A small one? A big one? With many people? Only a few? How would they organize their books? Would it smell of paper?

Her step wavered briefly. Kitty paused to look at him. "I didn't think about that." She rubbed the back of her neck. "I guess I'm so used to just knowing where the library is, I didn't consider it."

She nodded and slipped the device from her pocket, handing it to him. Her mood had not been dampened at all, it seemed. After all, what could top library?
Well, besides the few things Kitty could conjure in her mind. Those didn't count.

Norville tapped on the phone for a few seconds, somehow managing to conduct a search on the tiny screen and walk to the car simultaneously without tripping or walking into anything. He got into the car and read the directions several times. "Okay, got it."

Kitty was silently impressed by his skill, though her opinions remained anonymous. She opened the back door for Sam, making sure he was settled before climbing in herself. "Lead the way," she told her companion, looking up after the click of her seatbelt.

Norville buckled his belt while Sam sat in his usual seat and watched out the window. "Right, so we need to go out that side of the parking lot, turn right, and prepare for a left turn at the first traffic light we come to," he said, pointing the way. "After the is one right turn after a bit, then straight the rest of the way."

It wasn't very long at all before they came across the public library. It seemed a fair size, if initially slightly smaller than the one Kitty had spent so many hours at before the move. Still, from the front, it appeared to hide a larger structure.

The typical triangular roof of any good library sloped downward to meet them, three small arches held by doubled-pillars marking this side as the entrance. The pillars themselves and the arches were painted a reddish brown color, but the rest of the grand entrance's walls appeared to be made of, not brick, but cream-colored cobbled stone.

Kitty was more than happy to scale the short staircase in two bounds—despite there being at least four tiny steps—and peer back down towards Norville, hand on the railing. It occurred to her that Sam would have been better left inside the hotel, as she couldn't exactly leave him sitting in the hot car, but the hindsight was too far in the past to be trifled with. He was a good dog. She trusted him to stay outside the library for a bit. It only meant that she and Norville shouldn't spend too long inside.

"Er, what do you plan on doing with Sam?" Norville called after Kitty as he struggled to keep up with her excited hoppings. Stairs were not his friend in this walking cast. Not even really awesome steps like these. "They don't allow dogs inside libraries."

Sam investigated the pillars, sniffing around the area curiously. This was a new and interesting place with new and interesting smells! He did not care about the awesome architecture or worry about cars. He just wanted to smell.

"He's a good boy," replied Kitty. "I can ask if they'll let him stay out here. If not, we can take turns, yeah? That way he won't be alone." She looked over to where the hound was and failed to suppress a smirk. Silly dog, he was.

"They probably don't care as long as he's tied and not barking at everyone," Norville shrugged. He indicated a spot in the shade. "How about there? You could tie him to that pole thing."

"Mhm." Kitty nodded in agreement, tugging gently on Sam's leash to get his attention. She went and tied him, looping the open handle of the leash through the leash itself instead if trying to tie a knot. This way was more secure, anyhow. "Stay," the girl told Sam. "And be good. We shouldn't be too long."

Back