The Vampire's Apprentice

About halfway through Kitty's ravenous devouring of the sandwich, Clancy accidentally knocked over his coffee. He cursed softly as he tried to clean himself up then waved to Flo. "I think I will take a sandwich after all, Flo, and a coffee to go. I'll be right back."
He disappeared into the Diner's bathroom to get the coffee stains out of his shirt. While he was gone, Flo put the sandwich on the table. It took several minutes before Clancy returned.
"I am dreadfully sorry about that, Miss Kitty," he sighed, returning to his seat. "Coffee stains are a terror."

Kitty brushed some stray sauce off her face with her thumb, then licked it. "S'pose they are.... Can't be the worst thing, though. I've scraped my knees really badly on a sidewalk before and the stain was so deep I had to turn my jeans into shorts. Still got the scars, too, but spare fabric is a pretty useful thing, even with a stain."

"This is wisdom," Clancy smiled. He checked the time on the clock on the wall. "I am afraid I must be leaving soon. Is there anything else you would like to discuss before I go?"

"I don't think so...." She thought for a moment. "I can't think of anything.... Except maybe thanks. It'd be pretty useless of me not to say that...."

"Then you are very welcome. And thank you for saying thanks," Clancy smiled. He got a box for his sandwich as well as his coffee to go and stood. As he stood, the change he'd intended to leave as a tip fell under the table. "Oh! Dear me. Miss Kitty, could you please help me?" he fretted, looking down.

Clancy smiled in relief as he took the change. "Thank you." He set it on the table, made certain everything was paid for and tidied, then picked up both boxes. "Oh, yes, here, before I accidentally carry it home," Clancy said, offering the box to Kitty. He went to the door and opened it for her, allowing her to go out first.

She took it, stepping into the chilly darkness of the night. The breeze hadn't yet decided to return, so everything was rather still. Kitty glanced back, bidding him a goodnight, before continuing on her way.

"Sleep warm, Miss Kitty," Clancy said with a salute. He walked off into the darkness and disappeared. Until tomorrow!

Tomorrow. What a silly thought. It wasn't as though it was his fault, but tomorrow night she wouldn't be there.

Clancy arrived at the spot expectantly and looked around. Strange. She wasn't here. He waited a bit then started walking. He circled the park and checked the diner. How annoying. He'd begun to look forward to these silly games.

Kitty leaned against the library's brick structure, keeping to a lee in effort to avoid the wind. She was cold, despite the warming night air. In fact, it seemed she had a cold. All she felt like doing was sleep, and sleep is what she did, hoping Clancy would forgive her absence. It wasn't as though it were intentional.

He was bored and tired of looking. He turned to go home, willing to give up his search without much effort. Perhaps she had just decided not to come. And why not? He had chosen not to come sometimes, yet she was obsessed. Obsessed people did not just stop. He should know. He'd been telling the truth about his cousin, though he had fudged a few details. He started home.
The memory of her smell came back to him, and he paused. She always smelled strongly of books, of paper, of learning... She must spend a lot of time in the library, for that was the only place that made sense to hold those scents on a homeless person. It was only a couple of blocks out of his way, and he hadn't planned anything else with his evening. Perhaps he'd stop by just to check, spy a bit, then go home for a hot bath.
Clancy walked to the library and turned to follow the walls of the building to the door. Oh, right, it was closed. Silly of him. Of couse she wouldn't be there. Still, he walked past because, why not?

Kitty could feel the shivers on the inside, even though her jacket was zipped up to her chin and her arms hugged her knees like a shield. Of all the dastardly misfortune, she didn't see why it had to come for her now. She happened to be perfectly content where she was before, and this was a hinderance to her life. What little of it she had, at least.

Kitty sneezed, then rubbed her nose.

Clancy recognized that sneeze and followed it. He spotted the girl, but he didn't reach her first.

"Well well, what have we here?" sneered a man as he stalked toward her, two others behind him.

This was bad. And she didn't feel up to a bolt, which was worse.

Kitty lifted her head, fear-stricken and knowing full well what was about to go down. She wasn't planning to get pinned without a fight, though what good she would be against three men was beyond her.

"I'm not your pet," she snapped. "Find someone else."

"Aw, cute little thing!" the main man cooed, coming at her straight. "All alone and scared. I think we should warm her up and give her some company, don't you, boys?"
"Yeah, it's cold out," smirked one of the others as he and his friend moved to either side of Kitty, efectively hemming her in against the wall.

"I'm perfectly fine, thank you," She gave a grim smile. Think. Think quickly.
Kitty could feel her adrenaline start to pick up, but she didn't move.

"Mmm, yes you are fine!" purred the main man, his eyes running up and down her figure. He reached out, his hand suddenly encasing her right arm. "Why don't we go somewhere a little more private, yeah?"
The man on the left grabbed her other arm, holding her tight. "Yeah. Comfortable!"

Clancy watched from a distance, waiting to give Kitty a chance, but she looked weaker. Oh, dear. He hoped he would not have to step in.

Of all the dastardly misfortune-
The sudden forced moment made her nauseous, and if it hadn't been for that adrenaline, there was a good chance she would have felt a lot worse. It was like a nightmare; no matter how much she would resist, she always was too weak to pull away.

"I don't need your help, boys!" Kitty's voice was loud intentionally, though the whole place seemed void of people. "Let me go!"

Back