The Vampire's Apprentice

"Yeah... but they won't be your cookies," RJ mumbled, eyes still glued to the screen.

Norville lay flat on his back on the floor, eyes closed, his foot on a pillow. Earbuds were firmly planted in his ears and the cord led to the CD player by his head. He was now allowed to hobble around on the foot (officially) but he still kept it up a lot.

Kitty leaned on the door frame for a moment, watching him. She nudged him gently with the toe of her shoe, not quite sure how else to gather his attention.

Norville jerked in surprise, his eyes flying open. Then he relaxed with a grin and stopped the player before removing the buds. "Hey, Katheryne! How's it going with the packing?"

She smiled in return. "Almost everything's in boxes. Kinda scary if you ask me." Kitty plopped down on his bed. "Whatcha listenin' to?"

"The Lifechanging Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo," he said, making certain the player was turned off. "I asked EJ to get me some audiobooks from the library, and I think he walked down the aisle and randomly grabbed books without looking at them. Oh well, it means I'm broadening my horizons, and most of them are pretty interesting." He grinned up at Kitty, eyes laughing.

"Always a plus," She agreed. "Sometimes I'll do that when I'm not sure what to read. Though," Kitty's expression scrunched, "it does come off a bit interestingly when I end up in the nonfiction section and pull out a history book."

"I think I'd prefer that over," he reached above his head and grabbed one of the cases, bringing it down to peer at the cover, "Girl, Stop Apologizing. A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals."

Kitty laughed. It was one of those laughs that went on for more than a moment. The thought of him listening to that seemed ridiculous.

Norville laughed with her then tossed the case - gently - aside. "I gave it a try, but it's just discount feminism. Not that good, not that interesting, and not even that focused on women's needs. It's just a cash-in on the latest craze." He sat up carefully and drew his good leg under him. "Anything happening today other than packing? Do you have your route picked out and all that?"

She took a moment to gather herself again; her smile remained. "If I remember correctly, I tucked that... map..." Kitty poked through some of the last pages of the guidebook. "No, it must be at home someplace. Oh well."

"Dunno." Kitty answered. "I mean, if there's something to see, might as well take a look at it while I'm there. Right?"

Norville cocked his head, frowning a little. "I think I'm reading into things, but you seem a little... I don't know, bothered? Are you okay?" he asked.

"Am I really that open of a book?" She asked, giving a serious stare. "It's nothing, really. Nothing important."

"Well, I also like to think I know you," Norville said with a crooked smile. "And usually when you say it's nothing important, it is important. At least, it's important to you, which makes it important to me. Of course, you don't have to share if it's private, but if you want to tell me, I'm here to listen." He settled back, giving her an expectant look. Either she would tell him to bug off, or she'd talk. Either way, he'd like an answer.

((We have made it to 3,000 o-o))

Kitty sighed, sprawling across his bed. "Why does everyone suddenly know me so well?" She asked the ceiling. "There are some times, Norville, that I wish I could say things and I can't. I just can't. All there is, is that when we leave, this will likely become the domain of another vampire. Just try to be careful with yourself."

Back