The Vampire's Apprentice

She grinned. Maybe it was a bit blunt, but at least it got the point across. "I suppose I should be getting back before it's too dark...." Kitty said.

"Yeah, they should be here tomorrow. I might see if I can get EJ to help move boxes." She considered this with hesitation. "You can come over to supervise if you feel like it. We won't be taking the couch, so there's a free place to sit."

"Does he still have intents to win over my heart?" She was joking. "I'm sure I can fake my way through loving him for a couple days."

Kitty laughed again, picking up the book. "He's got me there, for certain." She stood. "Well, hopefully I'll see you tomorrow if not the day after...." Her smile wavered. "Then I'll be gone."

Norville reached out and patted her leg. "You're going to be fine," he assured her. "You're going to be just fine. You have Mr. McCleary and Sam with you. You can't get much better than that! And you can call sometimes and write letters, and I'll write back. Promise."

"Promise." She agreed. Kitty paused in the doorway to look back. "Take care of yourself, Norville. And take care of your family."

"Will do," Kitty waved in return, then went back home to wait upstairs for dusk. About the time he would usually appear, she'd be upstairs trying not to fall asleep while reading. She was winning thus far, but barely.

Kitty started, her gaze leaving the pages and flicking to the doorway. She smiled upon seeing him there. "I don't really know. I picked it off the shelf at random while packing the books," she closed the book over her thumb. "Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison."

She moved so he would have a place to sit on the bed. "I still don't understand how you can revel in the wicked shortcomings of the human race, yet continue to tell me you care for our wellbeing."

Clancy's brows rose. "Revel?" he sniffed, offended. "Of course I do not revel in them. I merely point them out and refuse to fall to the ridiculous ideology that humans are 'basically good inside.' It is a charming platitude, but not at all true. I take grim satisfaction in the books and other media that point out the truth of human nature that they might be warned against it. Besides, no matter what lies vampires like to tell ourselves, we are still very much human in nature. The idea that becoming a vampire made one evil came from the fact that many humans, once turned, found their slightly more animal nature and new form a freedom from the shackles of social and religious morals. Much like turning oneself invisible or taking a serum to change your shape, in the case of Mr. Hyde."

Back