The Vampire's Apprentice

Norville blushed a little then smiled. "You know.. I've had friends before. Pretty good friends. But you are the best friend I've ever had. Thanks."

Her smile wavered, and she moved her gaze from Norville back to her lap. She could feel the pink on her cheeks showing through. "I'm glad." Kitty agreed softly. "Really, really glad. And, you know what? You're the only real friend I've ever made." She smiled at him again.

"Well, if you keep on the way you are now, you'll make more friends than you know what to do with when you reach Connecticut," Norville assured her stoutly. He turned away as the front door slammed. "Mum's home."

"Come see me after dark tonight," Kitty replied, standing and taking the book before exiting his bedroom. "All of you guys."

"We'll try," Norville promised.

"Norville, are you-" Mrs. Mooney paused when she saw Kitty. "Oh, hello. I'm glad you came over today."

Mrs. Mooney stepped forward and gave her a quick hug. "You've been a good girl. You'll be alright, and we will miss you."

Mrs. Mooney patted her back then let go, stepping away. "Oh! I almost forgot. I found something of mine I want you to have. Please wait a minute." She slipped away to her room and soon returned with a flat box about the size of those clothing cardboard boxes but a little deeper and made of sturdier material. "Here. This is my old letter writing box. It has stationary, a few stamps, and some pens, things like that. I forgot I even had it, and I found it in my closet."

"You are very welcome," Mrs. Mooney smiled. "I've kept it with me through all the moves, but I haven't actually used it since... I honestly can't remember when. You look like you would actually use it, so I want you to have it. What time are you leaving tonight?"

"Sometime after dusk. There are a few things we need to place in the trunk still." She shrugged, then sighed. "I should get some coffee before all that so I'm not falling asleep."

"Of course, and we will miss you," Mrs. Mooney said brusquely, though there was a suspicious glitter in her eye, like a tear. "Now, off you go to rest!"

Back