The Vampire's Apprentice

Norville sat back and rubbed the back of his neck. "Okay," he sighed. "We managed to kind of narrow it down to... any house with three beds and no haunted basements. That's progress, I suppose. So... you have a nice stack of books." He eyed them. "How are you going to check them out without a library card?"

"It shouldn't be too hard to get a library card," Kitty thought about it. "Wasn't too hard the last time." She sighed. "If only life were easy. Like fiction. We wouldn't have to think so hard about practical things."

Norville snickered softly. "It only, if only... anyway, most places require some form of proof of address, like mail or something, so it might have to wait until we get a place."

She bit her lip, somewhere between containing a smile and trying not to grimace. Then she sighed. "Unfortunate. I was looking forward to reading again."

"Why not pick up a book at a bookstore?" Norville suggested. "There's probably at least one around here somewhere, right?"0

"S'pose that's also a good idea, isn't it?" She nodded in agreement. "Bet Sam's also been waiting for us a while."

Kitty agreed with this. It was like tasting freedom. Though, she felt like she had missed something. Had she been unintentionally insensitive? Hence the question, "Where do you feel like going?" as they left the library.

She let it drop, untying Sam and rubbing the mutt on his boulder head. "Sounds cool. Probably easier than wandering around looking for things, isn't it?"

Sam "grinned" up at Kitty and tried to wag a tail that wasn't there in greeting. His person was back! He'd had a decent rest, but the concrete wasn't all that comfortable to sleep on.
"I guess we could do that, but the walking boot makes that exhausting," Norville said, making a face. "Hey, Sam."

"You do have a point," Kitty nodded again. "If you don't feel like going places, we could always chill at the hotel for a bit. Nobody said we need to be anywhere."

"I just feel bad for bringing you places you might not want to be, but I'm worried to leave you by yourself," she admitted plainly. "I'd love to be out exploring on foot, poking my nose into places it doesn't belong, but if something bad happens again and you're alone... I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself. I'm totally cool with chilling at the hotel if that's where you feel you want to be, Norville. If you're happy, I'm happy." Kitty gave a wavering smile. "It shouldn't be the other way around."

Norville stared at Kitty for a long moment. "That was a good speech," he said slowly, "but... why can't it be the other way around? Why can't I be happy if you're happy? Why do you have to be the one potentially giving something up and not me?"

"'Cause that's just the type of person I am." She shrugged. "Besides, we've already done plenty of things that I'd like, now I want to know what you feel like doing."

This offer seemed to sate her, if for a bit. Kitty nodded with enthusiasm. "There's bound to be someplace 'round here, right? Do you... want to walk to find it?" The second question was a bit more tentative, but she inquired anyways, Norville's prior comment in mind.

Back