The Vampire's Donor

Claire stifled a laugh at his last remark. "Don't be silly Cam, I am your cook. It doesn't matter how many people I cook for it is still my job, and there is no need for compensation. Now, do you have any specific brands or extra ingredients that usually get made into the creamy beef pasta or should I just get the regular ingredients to make it?" She took note of his tired state, wondering why he had truly bothered to come to her in such a rush when it was clear that he had needed the sleep.

"You know you don't have to stay right? I know you're exhausted, and I would rather have you alive at dinner than half-dead here," she took note of her word choice, what had once seemed like a simple metaphor now meaning a lot more. "Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound derogatory or anything. I suppose I should start looking for new metaphors to use that don't seem so, how do I say, on the nose." The ingredient list for the soup was pulled up on her phone as she began to walk the aisle looking for anything she didn't already have thrown into the cart.

Camphor could only smile in amusement. "No, no need for specific brands but try to get the most expensive or what you think suits the dish best." With that, she followed her even if she was already dismissed to get back to the house. "You might be the cook of the house but it you were just hired yesterday. This is not a test, okay? Even if my tutors tell you off, I won't be letting go off you that easily," he declared.

When a few of the other costumers stared at him in awe, he soon realized that his declaration was borderline romantic and creepy. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean~! I wasn't exactly telling... Oh, gods of the North, I think I screwed up again," he stated, covering his pale face as a pale pink tint started to crawl from his chest to his face. "Yeah, let's talk about this later when there are no people listening."

"Cam, I mean this in the nicest way, but they probably took it in a more explicit way than a creepy one. Not that you meant it to be suggestive, after all, we just met," she teased with a jestful laugh. "I cannot exactly afford the most expensive stuff at the moment, and I didn't bring your wallet because it felt weird," she admitted, trying her best to be gentle.

She didn't want to give him the cold shoulder or act like she was too good for him, but she didn't yet know how he reacted to certain things. Luckily, based on his specific phrasing in the few conversations they had been able to have alone, she could make a guess on how to deliver her words in a way that seemed kind to him.

"Sir Acon already told me about that," he sighed. He gave a small smile; not displeased or disappointed but not happy either. "It's really nothing, hun. I'm not trying to be cheeky or anything but... worldly belongings means nothing to us. What we need are the 'essence of life' as poets described," he laughed, grabbing the wallet from his back pocket and handing it over to the female. "If you still cannot accept it, how about we reach a mutual concession?" he winked. "The money I am going to give you right now is your pay for the day. Being the generous employer, I paid you extra for working hard."

Camphor was never one of sweet talks but he could try and negotiate. He has practiced it for more than fifty years to have someone see through his logic. Throwing money was one thing, another is flirting. Seeing Claire, observing her for the few moments they were together, none of the two could be accomplished. So, he just went and followed what his gut stated; try to be himself more.

She smiled and shook her head. "And being the obedient employee I say 'Thanks boss!' and take the money without a fight," the way she said it made it sound more like a suggestion than a statement, but she knew this was how it was going to go. Besides, he did say to get the most expensive so he was just backing his suggestion with a donation, like paying for his part of the meal - and his tutors but that's not the point - she was thankful regardless. "Thanks, I know I can be a little resilient, but just this once I will let you off easy. Next time though, I may have to be a bit more stubborn just to spice things up a little," she jested.

It felt awkward between them. Objectively their relationship was Boss and Employee, Vampire and Donor, or Homeowner and Guest, but when it came down to the way they acted towards each other neither of those labels felt right to Claire. Of course, if she could come up with another label she would find it, but there wasn't really anything that came to mind when she searched for the words.

Camphor was thankful that the female did not give a fight about the agreement. He was alright in letting the female exhaust the money he had earned all those times living alone. He did this to all his employees but it was only a matter of time before they left or was eventually killed. Either way, this girl before him was a bit different. "Then I will have to order you to get the money instead of suggesting and requesting," he sighed, an amused smile on his features.

"I will be heading back then," he stated after one awkward silence. "I'll wait for you to return and maybe we can actually get the dinner prepared." With another smile and a nod, Camphor was walking out of the supermarket and outside. The umbrella was at hand as he started his walk back home. Thankfully, the weather was not as sunny.

She finished up the shopping and made her way to the checkout counter, making small talk with the cashier as they scanned her items. Of course, the first thing that was brought up was the sheer amount of things she was buying which she explained just by saying she was somebody's personal chef. This small set of words sparked many questions from the cashier which Claire did her best to answer in a tone that hid her annoyance with the onslaught of questions that were being thrown her way one after another. Some before she had even had the chance to finish her answer to the previous one. On her way out, she said goodbye to the greeter and unlocked her car. Once all the groceries were loaded up into the car she started back to Cam's house.

"Had fun with your little date?" Acon asked as the vampire stomped into the living room. The coach was holding unto a cup of tea that he miraculously brewed without setting fire to the whole house. Camphor could not accept that this brute was more talented in brewing tea than the witch he was always with.

"You will be joining us for dinner, I will presume?" he mumbled moodily before looking for Lady Rosada. "Um."

"Rosie dear is in your library, breaking some of the curses and sealing shit for the convenience of your human friend there." The coach then offered a cup to the tired vampire before both started to where the library was. They watched in silent awe as Rosada Evergreen chanted spell upon spell to break the curses from most of the books while capturing escaped magic from others.

Claire pulled up to the house and parked in the same spot she had been earlier. It was oddly relieving that no one had parked there in her absence since she still wasn't completely familiar with the area. She shot Camphor a test asking for help if he was willing and able before climbing out of the car.

The things she had bought for herself were in the backseat on the floor while all of the kitchen/cooking stuff had been put in her trunk which she popped open with the push of a button on her keys. She grabbed a few bags, deciding it would be best to leave an open hand to shut and re-open the trunk as she came in and out. Plus, it would be helpful to have a freehand to open the front door.

Noticing that the female has arrived, both Acon and Camphor got up. They did not bother the witch in the library, only getting out and moving to help Claire in whatever she might be planning. The older one, Acon, grinned in greeting as he opened the door. "Let me help, maggot," he offered, stepping out into the open ground and walked towards the car. Camphor was surprised that Acon just leaned on the the hood and waited for the female to give him permission to open her 'baby'.

Camphor smiled at Claire, albiet tired. "Let me," he stated once the female was within reach and in which the setting sun won't touch him. "Have everything you need for the time being? We could order the others online if they don't sell it locally."

"Yeah, sure, court the girl through money," Acon laughed from where he was.

Claire shook off Aconite's statement and handed Camphor the few bags in her hand before pressing the button on her key fob to open the trunk once again. "I got everything I need, for now, no worries," she smiled gently at him and chose to keep his wallet that resided in her pocket between herself and Camphor. "Don't lean too hard on my car please, it's the only nice thing I own currently and would hate to have to get some dents fixed," she turned back to Aconite and made her way to the trunk of her car to grab two of the three bags left.

"You may have to pull the trunk closed a little hard. That's how I found out how damaging the leaning could be," she laughed softly. "It might be a little loud, but I doubt you will care about something like that." She made her way back up to the door, trusting Aconite to close the trunk all the way for her.

Aconite shrugged at this, make a sound so that the girl would know she was heard. It took only a second to do what was instructed before he started for the entrance again, looking around if there was someone outside.

Camphor, surprised by Claire giving the groceries, chuckled before walking beside his cook towards the kitchen. He should start thinking that; that he has an employee in the house. "Well, that is one way to silence the mutt," he joked. Placing the groceries on the counter, he started to bring the objects out, reading through the labels but did not comment on anything. He trusted the beauty on whatever she was going to do. "Will this humble servant be of any use for you in this kitchen?" he asked grandly, bowing to the female and giving an impish smile. Camphor, if one would notice, always went about roleplaying things from the medieval era, or where chivalry was still in its peak.

Claire bent down and picked up Camphor's chin with her finger to bring his gaze level to her own. "I am more than willing to have you here while I cook. Even if you're just standing around it's nice to have the company unless you'd rather be with the others," she flashed a smile and let her index finger depart from where it was resting on his chin. After she stood herself back up fully, she began putting away groceries without pulling them all out of the bag first. It had always seemed odd to her to do that because the cold stuff would thaw or at least warm a little which could bring a ton of issues later down the road. She made sure to put the things for that night's dinner in first, in places that it wouldn't just get pushed back. This would ensure that all the food was there when she needed it and that it hadn't been sitting out too much beforehand.

Laughter immediately escaped the vampire's lips when he finally processed what has happened. For the years he lived in solitude, this was one of the rare times he actually showed genuine emotions. The past that he had; dying in the war, watching the rise and fall of a power-hungry man, the dissemination of entire towns... Shaking his head, Camphor stood straight and grabbed a chair.

"Just tell me what you need and I'll do it," the male smiled, finally taking a seat and rubbing his head. The trouble of having Sir Aconite with them was just overwhelming. He didn't know if the coach was acting dumb or that his reflexes were godsent to him to keep out of trouble. Madame Rosada was a different story. The tiny witch was the one who taught him how to live on his own through the birth and death of mortals. She was a guide.

Watching the female before him, Camphor could not help but think of 'what ifs'. What is he just got up and bit on Claire's neck and getting her to transform into a vampire like him. What if he just took all her blood and leave the husk of a body then hire another. What if~ Shaking his head again, his lips twitched downwards. Claire had trusted him for her to be safe. What the hell was he thinking??

sorry about the long delay, the country had been devastated with four typhoons that we had to work overtime

Claire turned to look at him, catching a more troubled look than she had expected. "You can just sit there and look pretty," she laughed softly, trying to lighten his mood. "Is everything okay? I heard you laugh but when I turned around you seemed a little troubled." This was her way of allowing him to open up should he choose to do so as she continued to put away the groceries, moving around the kitchen as needed to find a home for everything.

She wondered where the other two had gone or if they were intentionally leaving the two alone to observe them without their knowledge. "If you're hungry, for you know, I don't mind. I doubled my meds and such so it shouldn't be as negative of an impact for me as it was the other day. Even if it's thought to be embarrassing on my behalf, I am not too worried about being embarrassed." Her brain couldn't drum up anything else that could've been an issue, so she offered up all she could think of while he sat in his troubled silence. Maybe she had done something wrong, but what?

No worries. I have been really busy with school and all this COVID nonsense. Take all the time you need between replies. I hope things get better out there.

The only advantage of COVID is that I could actually sit and reply. The bitch about it is that the place I usually am is always infected and they wait a day [A FUCKING DAY] before they close for disinfection... So, basically, I think I have it but the symptoms wont show -_-
Camphor could not help but smile at her concern for him. "Do not worry about me, hun," he stated, grabbing a chair and moving to a place where he could watch and to get out of her way. "I am just concerned that if I do take your offer, I would not be able to stop." Grabbing a fruit from the basket, he rolled his eyes at the irony of it being an apple. If he wasn't so curious about how they depicted vampires in recent media... he would not have been out and watching cheesy romantic things.
The quiet had been a bit suffocating for the male. "I am once again the curious little bastard. Before anything, what was your job? I mean, what odd-jobs did you do just to survive. You look quite comfortable in the kitchen and you seem keen on cleaning and arranging." He took on a mischievous stance at this. "Have you been a maid of some rich person out there" Realizing what he have said, his eyes widened and his expression faltered but he has to stand on what he stated. He tilted his head then, waiting for a reply - if the topic is fine to be discussed, that is.

"I see, but you have guests so I assume your self-control, or their listening ears, would prevent such a thing. What makes you think maid is in my repertoire? You thinking that the uniform might be something enjoyable to see me working in?" She teased, "I was working in and out of restaurant kitchens until I got fired. I picked up quick jobs like helping bake for bake sales and cooking for the homeless. Most of the jobs I got weren't paying though, so I opted to help friends move, not that that kept them around, and helped my older neighbors keep their homes tidy. There wasn't much in that though; I belong in the kitchen."

Claire finished up putting things away and turned to face Camphor, noticing how her sentiment had sounded. "Not because of gender roles or anything," she stammered, "I just work best in that environment. The day they let me go it shattered me. Being let go from such a high position at such a prestigious place really hurt my ability to get work in a kitchen, and fast food just isn't the same. So when I saw your listing it felt like it was meant just for me." Her tone was wistful as she leaned back on the countertop, "I'm sure that sounds stupid, but I really am grateful for the opportunity you've given me even if there is a condition to this job that I didn't expect. I'm just happy to do something I enjoy."

That's terrible. My school went on lockdown because of the number of cases. Needless to say I got it because my brother was in contact with kids who had it and they waited days til they took him out because they waited until the infected kids got their test results instead of acting on their symptoms. Luckily, my two weeks it up, but I am pretty sure I won't ever be in the building again since I graduate in early Jan. They say they're gonna bring us back the week before the semester ends, but I think that they're just giving us wishful thinking since we were originally supposed to go back next Thursday.

Camphor rested his chin on his palms, a bit crossed at what he has heard. Claire might be new to the house and have been a new addition to his life. He has not seen anything bad from the female yet... "Would be interesting knowing everything from you," he muttered under his breath. "It isn't actually weird or stupid," he started, focusing on her face. "Remember, I have lived for a hundred of years, the war being something like the most... weird of them all," he smiled, seriously trying to water down the experience of war.

His eyes softened at the statement of opportunity. "I'm also happy I met someone like you. I wish you really do enjoy your stay here." His mischievous mind was already thinking of way to see how petty he could get and get whoever fire this dame pay for more than what they did to her. "Where exactly is this place you for kicked out of?"

"I don't think weird is the choice word I would use to describe a war, but I wasn't the one who went through it," she shrugged, walking over and sitting in a seat near Camphor. She knew that she should probably start dinner prep, but she was fully into the conversation at this point. "I'm sure I will. The place isn't super close to here, so I doubt that you've been there. Nothing against the company for letting me go; it just happens. Although, I think they made a mistake by doing so, but my opinion on that whole situation is biased. I would've probably never ended up here if not for that and some other situational issues, so it does have its silver lining."

Claire flashed a gentle smile at the man in front of her. It truly was a lovely experience being here even in the short time it had been. Everything about the place was super inviting, and Camphor wasn't super restrictive about her permissions or anything. Sure, the whole blood donor thing had seemed stressful at first, but after the first time she realized that it wouldn't be that bad. Besides, having a handsome guy put his lips against her skin seemed very much beneficial.

"I will toast on that, love," Camphor chuckled, raising an imaginary glass to her optimism. "Still going to see what your former work was and judge them," he winked before stretching like a cat on his seat and leaning on the chair. He could have pulled the beauty to sit on his lap and take a bite from his walking food but restrained himself. Harassment and 'surprise' feeding was not going to be a good start for their friendship. He reflected her smile, flashing a bit of fangs to the girl.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Rosada sighed and dispersed the image on the mirror. Aconite sat behind her, playing around with a cursed book, not really affected by the demonic presence in them. "I will say this once," she declared. "Maybe the girl is fit to be with Camphor. Her perception to life should have our young vampire be grounded to reality. Having a human to remind him of his own would be beneficial to the community."

"Really? For as long as she sticks with him through whatever hell is going to be unleashed, I have no say on the our impulsive decision a few days back," Acon laughed. "So? are we going to stay here and pretend to do work or are we going to make both uncomfortable as if we are the parents spying on each of their movement and judge them like in-laws?"

The glare the witch gave was all the answer Acon needed. He zipped his mouth and started sweeping the library.

Back