Gods Among Men The Watchtower

Saarai

Lord of Bondage and Pain
Benefactor
Orbiting Earth is The Watchtower, the primary base of operations for the Justice League. The satellite headquarters has drawn much criticism from many of Earth's governments who believed it is weaponized and could possibly destroy Earth.

UN inspections have yet to turn up any evidence of The Watchtower being a weapons platform, but that hasn't done much to quell the fears of those on the planet's surface.

Last edited:
It had been a long, tiresome journey, but Iry'oz had never known such glee as when she spotted Earth.

Just like Koriand'r had told them, it was a precious blue planet covered by clouds. Tamaran never knew so much water. Briefly, she wondered if the people there lived in the ocean, but their queen had never made such silly claims.

Eagerly, she zoomed toward the planet, sweeping towards and aiming past a strange structure that orbited it. A bright comet tail trailed behind her, making her as inconspicuous as a lightbulb.

"I'm not saying that Black Canary and I are a thing, we just have a connection on a deeper level." Jose, one of the Watchtower's bridge crewmembers, boasted to his colleagues. "The way I heard it you crashed and burned hitting on her in the mess hall." Another crewmember said.

"Did Williams tell you that? She's a liar and a-..." Jose was cut off by the sound of an alarm going off, he and the other crew rushed to their stations.

"Picking up a lifeform." Jose told the others, "Orders, sir?" He asked, looking up at a platform floating above the room.

Standing on it was an African-American man dressed in a red, black, and white jacket. His face covered by some sort of T-shaped mask that gave his eyes a red glow.

"Have a team intercept." The man ordered.

It didn't take long before several men and women in spacesuits were standing in an airlock, heavy weapons in hand. "Ready." One of them said, the airlock doors opening to reveal open space to them.

One by one they stepped out, propelled towards the UFO by subtle boosts of flames near their boots.

"If it's hostile, we have to incapacitate it. Otherwise, we kill it. We can't take any risks."

Before she zoomed past the Watchtower, Iry'oz found herself face-to-face with humanoids spilling out of it. Though slightly startled at first, the woman smiled brightly and slowed her speed, floating towards them gently.

She was dressed in very little: a thin, purple leotard and a pair of long boots were all she had. Two green gems were embedded on the tops of her boots, mid-thigh. She was almost mistakable with the superhero and ally of earth, Starfire, but anyone who knew her by face would see this girl was different.

The woman tried to speak to them, tell them of her tale, but her language was not familiar to their ears. Jibberish was as discernable.

"Terrific, it's a Tamaranean. Female. Trying to talk to us. Bring her aboard?" The lead astronaut asked, "Do it. We've prepped for decontamination and quarantine." Mister Terrific said from the bridge.

The astronaut pointed to the Watchtower, gesturing for the alien newcomer to follow him and his team.

"Follow." He said, his helmet sending audio towards the alien, "She can't understand, what am I doing?" He asked himself. "Tamaran." The astronaut added, hoping that let the Tamaranean know she was among friends.

Iry'oz was confused at first, but there were quite a few gestures shared among the Tamaran and the humans. With uncertainty, she floated toward the Watchtower. Normally, she would not have been so cooperative, but she was too weary to start a fight or a chase.

She followed them into the Watchtower, gazing around with awe. This was not like home at all. Their architecture was very precise, very perfect and cold.

The Watchtower was abuzz with activity, crewmembers and League heroes coming to see the alien. "Anyone speak Tamaranean?" The lead astronaut asked as he removed his spacesuit, "Where's Starfire?" He asked.

"Bludhaven with the Titans, Major Jankowski." Said Mister Terrific, parting the sea of people in front of him with his mere presence. "Give her your hand, Major."

Jankowski raised an eyebrow at the superhero, glancing from him to the Tamaranean a few times. "What about quarantine? She could be irradiated." He protested, "It's okay. Trust me." Terrific assured the man.

Jankowski groaned quietly, moving to step in front of the alien. He reached a hand out to her, "If something bursts out of my chest, don't say I didn't warn you."

Gleefully, Iry'oz reached a hand out and brushed his palm with the tips of her fingers. She could not remember the last time she came in contact with another humanoid. Heaving a breath, she entwined her fingers with his own and closed her eyes. The warmth of his hand was instantly welcoming.

Her head lulled to the side and she let out a breath. With it, a word: "Finally."

The woman's brilliant green eyes opened, bearing strongly into those of the man before her. "It has been so long."

Jankowski would never admit it to his colleagues, but he couldn't help but get lost in the Tamaranean's eyes. He was completely silent save for the subtle sound of his breathing.

"Welcome." Terrific said in greeting, "You've already met Major Jankowski. I am called Mister Terrific. And this is the Justice League." He said, gesturing every one around them.

"Some of the League, at least."

Jankowski quickly pulled his hand away from the Tamaranean once he snapped back to reality, taking up a more militaristic stance near her. He was a professional and first impressions were key, after all.

"Do you have a name?" Jankowski asked, "Something we can call you?"

The woman gazed back for a while, though her fascination was that of finding life in general. After the moment passed, she set her sights on all the people around her. Justice League. Starfire had used such a word before. Yes, she knew these people, if just by vague mention.

She bit her lip in anticipation, beaming up at them proudly. "I am Iry'oz of Tamaran."

"Why do we never get any aliens with inexplicable English names?" Jankowski asked jokingly, stepping back as medical technicians approached Iry'Oz.

There were three, each waving a different colored wand over the Tamaranean's body.

"Everyone, back to work." Terrific ordered, sending the crew of the Watchtower scattering like roaches. "You can go about your day as well, Major." He told Jankowski.

Jankowski nodded before he turned to walk away, casting a lingering glance towards Iry'oz before he disappeared around around corner.

"We don't get many of your people here, what brought you this far from home?" Mister Terrific asked the Tamaranean, beginning his strideath closer to her.

Iry'oz glanced curiously at the people that surrounded her. She watched the crew leave once they were ordered to, as well.

Finally, she gave her eyes to Terrific, which watered upon hearing his question. Her hands cupped over her mouth. "Tameran is gone!" she cried. "It has been destroyed. Everyone has left! I have not seen another person in... it has been a long time. I don't even know how long it has been."

The medical technicians stopped when Iry'oz cried out, looking towards Terrific for orders on what to do next. "Go." He said to them, waiting until the techs were gone before he said anything else.

"What happened? Do you know?" The hero asked, "These things don't often get by us. The Lanterns usually keep us informed." He said.

Terrific shook his head, "They have are full plate. No wonder this flew under the radar."

Last edited:
The woman wiped her eyes with little success, smearing tears over her cheeks. "There was an attack. The Psions invaded. General Ph'yzzon and our armies were not able... were not able to keep us safe. We all have failed. I woke up and there was nothing left. Koriand'r spoke of Earth... I did not know where else to go."

"Psions?" Terrific asked, the gears in his head turning. "Follow me." He said to the Tamaranean, turning to walk back towards the Watchtower's bridge. "It's a good thing you made it here. I'm going to get in touch with the Lanterns, they were supposed to be keeping an eye on the Psions. This shouldn't have happened." Mister Terrific told her.

"We won't get results overnight, so you can stay on the Watchtower or you can go to the surface. I wish it could be under different circumstances, but Earth is your home now. You have to make the most of it."

"Home?"

The word was almost alien in her mouth, but her inquiry was filled with hope. Following Terrific, she gave him a gaze that could have broken hearts. "This is my home."

Rushing forward, the Tamaranian's arms aimed to wrap around the man's shoulders in a desperate embrace. "Thank you," she rasped. "I have... forgotten what home is. Now I have one. This isn't real."

Mister Terrific could have stopped the alien woman from hugging him, but Michael Holt understood loss. He didn't know what to say to her, it wasn't every day that he had to comfort alien refugees.

"You'll have to register when you get to Earth. The Justice League will sponsor you, pull some strings to make the process a bit easier and find you place to live." Terrific said, "And, you might have to get a job." He told Iry'oz, "We can help you with that as well."

Jose came barreling down the hall towards Mister Terrific and Iry'oz, skidding to a stop in front of them. "Don't want to interrupt, but we got in touch with a local Green Lantern on Earth. He's on his way up." Jose told Terrific, "Send him to the briefing room. We'll be there shortly." Terrific ordered, "On it, boss." Jose said, offering a two-finger salute before walking off.

"Control your feelings when we meet with the Green Lantern. Your world isn't in his sector, but his fellow Lanterns should have been there to protect you."

The woman drew back and nodded, hands clasped at her chest. "I will do my best. I do not know much of these Lanterns, but if there was someone that could have helped us..." She trailed off, eyes aimed at the floor.

"Let's go." Terrific said, leading Iry'oz towards the briefing room. The Lantern was arriving soon, if he wasn't there already, and he had a lot one questions to answer.

Terrific stepped into the briefing room, red eyes immediately landing on a young fair-skinned man in Green Lantern garb.

Terrific didn't recognize him. He had to be very new.

"Mister Terrific, it's an honor, sir." The young man said excitedly, "I don't want to fanboy, but I admire your work." He continued.

"You are?" Terrific asked him, "Oh, my name is Kyle Rayner. What's the problem here?"

Iry'oz stepped up to speak, looking this Lantern in the eye. "My planet, Tamaran, has been destroyed. The Psions overran my people. I have been informed that your... Lanterns were responsible for making sure that didn't happen."

Back