Open The Whispers in darkness

OmegaRper42

Arbiter of light and dark.
View attachment 9789

The pungent smell of the old coastal port was almost enough to make even a hardy man sick to his stomach, the kind of smell that one would associate with a rotting corpse. Yet the towns-folk of Elder shore (As it was called) grew accustomed to the stench. One would even say that the stench was that of the people themselves, their own lives filled with hardships as the old port was currently going through financial problems. What was once a booming coastal trading center was now bereaved of hope. The homes of once wealthy fisherman where now ruined reminders of what was once a better time.

Some of the locals believe that the reason for such a drastic downfall was due to the founders of the town making a dark bargain with forces outside the normal world and those forces now collecting what they where owed.

Now Elder shore, in the year 1932 faces several challenges that are not bound by the rules of the mortal world. Despair and desperation are practically the feeding ground of nefarious beings such as demons or other supernatural entities, some drawn by the decaying aroma of negative emotions, while others are summoned to this wretched port by the elite seeking an easy path back to glory.... Or more mysteriously being called by the port itself, taking on an eldritch identity of its own born out of the now superstitious population.

Amaimon was resting. He liked to play his games in this town. He loved how everyone here wanted riches and prosperity. He could give it all to them, but for a price. He loved the smells of suffering. He just made a deal to take away the pain of a man's nightmares. He took them all away like he said he would. Amaimon got the man's soul. He got his prize, and he got to have fun in the process...

It was early in the morning, although one could not tell without a cloak or an inner senses of the world so thick was the gloomy all pervasive fog that always seemed to blanket Elder shores. Such negative emotions. Such potential for nightmares. In stark contrast to the down right dreary morning was the scene of a young man. A young man walking on his hands down the street. Even Some of the jaded curmudgeons that dragged themselves out of bed count help but marvel at the young street performer. Staring at the young lad as if he was mad... An understatement if their ever was one.

Once the king of dreams Mephos had now become known under a new title. The lord of nightmares. The dreaming realm was his play thing and everyone in it where his toys. How he loved to play with toys, and how he hated when someone would steal his playthings away from him. In fact it drove him more insane than he no doubt already was. Oh yes. He put on a smile, did some tricks here and there in the physical plain to garner some attention since even still now he loved being the center of attention. Yet behind the playfulness and tricks laid enough scorn to kill a person or three. Someone had dared to bar him from one of his playmates dreamscapes. Although he eventually broke past the bars erected around his playmate the very fact that someone had tried to deny him was reason enough to kill the worthless man in his dream... The thought made him giggle to himself. Oh he wished he could see the look on whoever's face saw the body of the dead man who sold his soul for no reason.

Finally closing in on the trail; Whoever the man made the contract with did a lousy job hiding their tracks. on the demon or whatever he be the lord of nightmares couldn't hide the deranged and down right malevolent smirk on his face, his red eyes glinting the banked fires of his wrath. "Found you. Found you. little rabbit." Almost singing to himself.

Amaimon whipped around. He could smell him. He was the one causing this pain. He wanted to be found. He wanted to slaughter him, but he smiled nevertheless... Amaimon stiffens. He doesn't like competition. "Hello there, friend. Don't you have a costume party to go to?" He smiled with a psychotic glint in his eyes. He wanted his blood. He wanted to taste it. He wanted so much as to put him under as much torture as his demonic soul could imagine. He wanted to give him all the pain he had in his control. He hated competition. Nobody played with the Demonoc Prince of Shadows and lived to tell of it.

In an impressive feat of acrobatics Mephos did a perfect front flip from pushing his hands off the creaking wood-planks than just to show off land perfectly balanced on a bench. "And the crowd goes wild." He said with the enthusiasm of a child. The former Angel of dreams now looked squarely at his 'competition' not even responding to his obvious slight... Or was it a genuine answer? He could never tell when it came to comments about his choice in appearances. Looking like a down on his luck circus freak that had his left eye torn out and replaced by a shady cloth sewn into the flesh to replace it. Such things however he cared little for. What he cared even less for was how this clearly demonic charlatan's eyes twinkled with blood lust.

"Party? Sorry not in the mood for one." Unperturbed by the possible fight that could break out any moment the red haired man who was clearly shorter than even the human form of this clearly great demon, seemed more interested with the fabric of his bowtie. "But I'll show you my guts if you show me yours.... That was my toy you messed with." Cheerful wonderment was almost immediately replaced with an intense rancor that seemed to out of place with this goofy character that not too long ago performed gravity defying acrobatic tricks. "I don't like it... I don't. So many nightmares I could have given him... You know, its not wise right? making me angry? Making me have to kill him because you made me angry." He mumbled on more giving the impression that maybe this clearly supernatural dream walker wasn't all their mentally.

Although it seemed like Mephos was trailing off in his ramblings his shadow, so unnoticeable in the dense fog, seemed to be moving on its own even as its own movements logically and naturally followed that of the red haired man in rags.

Amaimon smiled even wider. "Maybe we could make a deal..?" He wanted to play with him. He wanted him dead more than ever now, he wanted to snap his neck right there. He wanted a little fun first. "You can see your friend, but you have to give me your soul, hm?" He wanted him to take the deal, the scenarios in his mind raced like flies on a corpse. "He came to me looking for help, and I freed him, now you're on my ass? You people are just sick, you know that, right?" He could tell that Mephos was an Angel. He wanted an Angellic soul in his collection, oh how powerful he would be.... Amaimon's eyes burned into Mephos's very being as he tried to read his mind and see his desires.

Freezing on the spot the lord of nightmares listened to this demon prattle on about 'deals' and his shallow attempt at hiding his dark intentions. He was not too impressed.The demon might have seemed charismatic and even approachable to the many mortals that shuffled along these docks... Though to Mephos he was as naked as a newborn baby. 'This demon is a complete idiot.' Mephos thought as the fog of the coastal town started to somehow become thicker around them, covering both in complete privacy as not one town's folk was now visible or even audible.

Mephos taking his attention away from the muttering demon for a split second examined the fog. Elder shores was surely a hot spot for entities such as he and this demon princes as the negative air that surrounded the town like. Well. A fog seemed to beckon the things that lurked in the darkest corners of the earth. Not just the towns folk that where either too bored or desperate to call upon demons and such. Elder shores called him and he answered the call....

Back on track. Mephos stared into the deep blue voids that where Amaimons eyes his own red depths boring deep into the demon. "A deal? Surly not even a demon would be stupid enough to ask me to bargain." Returning the Smile with his own little smirk the fallen angel's red eyes that held so much strange wonderment in them suddenly turned into black pits, his mind, what he allowed the foolish demon to glimpse would be a sight of utter chaos. Broken and warped Mephos's psych was truly a sight to behold resembling more of what would be expect from a demon of the blackest pits of hell than an angel. " I'm Sick am i? Hah!" He barked back into Amaimon's face his aura oozing off his form like tar. "Ya I'd say I'm sick alright. Sick of seeing your ugly mug!" Not caring if witnesses saw him anymore the Nightmare lord reached deep into his shadow pulling out what appeared to be a very long and sharp scythe. The length of the weapon was twice the length of Mephon's body and the tip of the bottom half still connected to his shadow. "I don't play nice and I don't share with anyone else." With surprising speed and skill he pointed the tip of the ebony blade at the bloodthirsty demon's face.

Amaimon smiled even wider. He hasn't fought someone like him in years. He uses his hand to push the blade down. "If you wanted to scare me, kid, it's going to take more than that." He laughs a bit. "Hell, it's going to take more than you to scare me." He grabs Mephos by the collar of his shirt and tosses him aside with relative ease. "Besides, you've fallen from grace, there must be a reason, right? Maybe it was because you were too weak to do anything!" He laughs even more.

@OmegaRper42 @GigaBit200
Blindfold had been wondering why the Man had sent him here, to this 'Elder Shore'.
Suffice it to say, he didn't wonder anymore.
The city reeked of supernatural activity. It was quite apparent to him that the city was under some sort of... curse? Blindfold wasn't sure, but he could see, quite clearly, what the city was like before all of this happened, and he could see what it was like now.
Most of all, he could see two people, like bright lights in a sea of darkness, like ravens in a crowd of doves, a sense of power radiating equally from the two. The Man showed Blindfold who they were, one a demon, playing with humans as if they were toys, and another the 'lord of nightmares', playing with the humans also.
Blindfold knew quite a bit about demons. And even more about nightmares, but his did not come from the Lord of Nightmares. He also seriously doubted the Lord would have any power over his dreams, because of his ... unique ... patron.
The Man, Blindfold knew, hated the Light that shined within the two, and by extension he hated them, especially because they pretended the Light was theirs.

Amaimon sensed another being. He could smell him. He looks behind himself, detecting Blindfold. "Hello there, sir. I was just talking to my friend here, where are you from?" He knew damn well this guy wasn't from here. He was slightly afraid of him, but he smiled anyway, he always smiled. He tried to read his mind, but he was already reeling from the chaos in Mephos's that he couldn't concentrate on Blindfold. "What brings you here?"

@OmegaRper42 @TMITM

Blindfold considered Amaimon's question for a moment, ignoring the voice of the Man in his head.
"I'm from... Earth?" Blindfold said. "The Nexus is confusing," Blindfold admonished, the wind tugging at his clothes and the ends of his blindfold.
Kill him, The Man said. He's beneath us.
Blindfold ignored the Man's voice, smirking at the incredibly predictable desire to kill them all immediately.
"This sent me here," Blindfold said, gesturing at the situation, the setting, and the two entities.
"Who are you, then?"

Amaimon simply smiled. He looked at him, tilting his head.
"Well, let's just say I'm not from here..." Amaimon says, laughing a little bit. "What about this? You here to take my job away?"
Amaimon looked back at Mephos, then back at Blindfold. "You have a name?"

Blindfold chuckled at his first question. "No. I am not interested in playing with humans. In fact I resent the action."
Blindfold knew where Amaimon was from, but decided to play along.
Ignoring the incoherent verses that the Man frequently babbled, he nodded. "I do," he said, smiling. "I'm Blindfold."

Amaimon frowned. He didn't like Aliases very much. "I mean your real name."
Amaimon smiled again. "So why are you here again? I wasn't listening"
He didn't like this guy, he was sketchy..

Bindfold frowned at the distaste in Amaimon's voice.
His real name? That was something that he preferred not to remember...
Upon hearing this, the Man guffawed in Blindfold's mind, laughing to himself and Blindfold. Then, the Man provided Blindfold with a tidbit of information that was amusing to both of them.
Blindfold smiled. "Blindfold is my name, though names are fickle things."
He cocked his head a little, still smiling. "You would know."
Blindfold considered his last question, deciding to answer it. "Someone else sent me here. He thought it would be interesting for me." Blindfold smiled a little more. "It was."

Amaimon was frustrated now. He hated this guy. "Fine, don't tell me..."
He didn't like this guy's voice, but he wanted to play.
Amaimon smiles again. "You want to get rid of that little voice in your head?" He whispers to him.

The smile Mephos grew even more wider than what was physically possible clearly this demon wasn't in the knowhow of who he was... Or who he used to be. Deciding to go with the flow he let Amaimon grab and toss him about a couple yards away. "Good hand." Now laughing madly he twisted his body in way even a contortionist would gawk at landing on the roof of one of the shaggy housing. Now the game was on! Live and death over the right to this cursed eldritch town. How hilariously hopeless.

It seemed another had thrown his hat in the ring. The appearance of 'blindfold' or whatever he called himself wasn't normally of any interest to the former angel lord.... But the pungent scent of another behind the man, or whatever he was, took his attention away from the fight. Ready to gut and tear out a demon in one second and the next he's laying on the narrow edges of his scythe that bent like rubber. "You really are a one-trick pony demon." He actually looked disappointed at Amaimon, for a prince of his realm he sure had a blunt and obvious way of asking for souls. The scythe bending closer till he was set in the middle of the two his red hair tussling in the wind as he stood on one leg. "Hello weary traveler from the nexus. I'll be with you in just a minute" Always one to hold grudges Mephos's returned the favor to Amaimon by gripping the demons hand with surprising force for someone of his stature and than executing a throw that sent the demon away the same number of distance Mephos was thrown.

"Now that the pest is gone for a short moment." He turned his head back to face blindfold, intrigued at this new comer. "What dreams might you have? What terrible nightmares lay underneath? And what does you master want with this town with secrets buried so far beneath?" Walking around him his scythe still in hand the former lord of dreams was waiting for his answer.

Last edited:
As Amaimon offered the beginnings of a deal, Blindfold grew serious.
"Like yours would be any better? Besides, I doubt it's within your power."
After the 'Lord of Dreams' tossed the demon prince away, and the Man braced them both for a fight, the 'Lord of Dreams' asked him a few questions. "What dreams might you have? What terrible nightmares might lie beneath?"
Blindfold's smirk returned. "Sadly, you'll never know."
The Man assured him that the Lord of Dreams could never reach his mind, nor could Amaimon. The Man's chaos surrounded his mind, his soul, and veiled whatever was going on within.

The response both annoyed and intrigued him. Though Blindfold would possibly not catch on since Mephos still held the same overly excited smile, his head tilting to the side. "Ooooo? That's what you think is it?" Chuckling as if Blindfold told an amusing joke the Fallen Angel's weapon dissolved back into his shadow, no longer seeing any further uses for it at the moment.

Although the foolish man or whatever might have good reason to claim such privacy, Mephos had been through much in his long long existence and even though now he was a shell of what he was mentally the veteran lord of dreams could notice the familiar buzz of chaos. Nor was he stupid enough to let his guard down against the demon he just tossed like a bad sack of potatoes. If Amaimon tried any harm against Mephos he'd be ready to dodge with cartwheels and retaliate in kind. But for now this stranger with an even stranger mind warranted further inspection.
"Whatever. You can keep your sense of security for now, won't do you much good. Especially in this hell hole." He grinned toothily.

The morning routine for the towns folk had begun to start as the streets slowly but surly became populated with more than just the three of them... Yet despite that the fog never seemed to lift and only got denser clouding the features of the almost zombie like citizens making them seem more like living shadows than actual mortals.

Amaimon growled in anger. This guy wouldn't get away with this... He got up, seething with rage. He smiled, he had an excuse to kill him now.. Amaimon briskly walked up to Mephos and grabbed him forcefully by the throat, a wild glint in his eyes. "You little bitch, you'll pay for this.." Mephos could feel Amaimon's sinister aura seeping into his mind, it wanted him to do wicked things only a sick mind could even imagine. "Now, go to your costume party before this gets real." He drops him and stalks off.

Back