The Wider Galaxy [Nation building]

The King Of Rats

An open book, not the best written, but still open
The galaxy is a puzzle box, a map, a book. It is all these things and more, for it holds secrets and stories, dangers and treasures and many civilizations both young and old of human and alien. It is unknown when humanity left its own star in flocks to colonize other worlds but it is known they where a fractured people, some even say they left out of necessity, that their world was dying and that leaving was the only choice but who knows? What is known is that humanity has spread itself across the stars, some adapting in strange ways, becoming only an offshoot of humans. Some made contact with intelligent life and worked together to better both civilizations. And some, by choice or not, lost their technological prowess, becoming something less advanced than what they once where.

Either way, here your empire lies, you have complete control over your planet, as best you can have at least and it is time for you to touch the stars once again...or perhaps the starts have their eyes on you?

so yeah, this will be a sci fi nation building role play. Rather than control a single character you control a whole nation, its people and its military. Now i would prefer this to be more focused on interaction between factions but i understand that conflict can be an interesting part of the RP, so if you wish to fight another nation then please ask that nation first.

Now one thing i wanna talk about first is world types, basically its the technology level of your world as shown below. Now remember your people (if human) had to get to that planet somehow so they might still have ancient ships lying around...somewhere.

World types-

Feral world- Stone age worlds dominated by hunter gatherer tribes with essentially no technology
Pros- Born survivor=your people are tough ones, where others would find a survival situation difficult, its child's play for your people.
Cons- Not the smartest= while your intelligence may be limited to the stone age it isn't a massive problem, the real problem is that you have no clue about how technology works and so will likely need help in many situations

Feudal world-Feudal worlds are worlds that have a medieval level of technology
Pros- Unbreakable= You have been trained to never back down in the face of combat, as to not dishonor your family name, your men will fight to the last man if need be
Cons- Stubborn= Family honor is everything, as such, if a one feels his honor has been insulted then he will not hesitate to challenge you to a duel

Industrial world-Worlds that have a level of technology comparable to the industrial revolution (so mid-late 1800's)
Pros- Worker= your people don't have lives of rest, they have to work to sustain their family, as such your people are hard workers who will get a job done to its highest standard
Cons- Class tension= The class system in heavy in these types of worlds, with the lower class being slaves to the upper class, riots may be common

Modern world-Basically anything from the 1960's to the modern day
Pros- Educated= In these worlds most citizens have an education, your people can read and write and are a generally intelligent and well learned society
Cons- Political tension= There are many different political parties in the modern world, as such many people will have differing views often leading to disagreements

Advanced world
-Sci fi stuff right here, a world with advanced technology that can make make some jobs obsolete
Pros- Technology= your world has the advantage over other worlds, you have technology they could only dream of
Cons- Narcissism= Your people may view worlds of lower technology as inferior or even as brutal savages, they may not with to "deal" with the less advanced

A note on technology and biological engineering-
Technology has 2 types "Aggressive" and "Passive" one being weapons and such, the other being medicine and luxury items. Now to prevent any meta gaming/ causing an arms race i will say the max your Aggressive tech level can go is Star Wars level of tech.

Genetic engineering.
Although only seen on modern and advanced worlds, genetic engineering can be a big part of the culture or world. Now one thing i wanna say first off is yes, you can be biologically immortal, weather that be from Genetic engineering or by your race BUT do not just be immortal for no reason, have a backstory for it not just "The people of this world are biological immortal" because that will not do. If your peoples race is immortal then say why, if its via Genetic engineering then say how, you could give it some drawbacks as well, remember while there will be combat in this rp it will not be a focus

A note on races-
Yes you can be aliens but don't make them op, no immortal or regeneration creatures although slow, and i mean very slow regeneration is fine. You can also be augmented humans, basically mutants, humans that have adjusted or adapted for a certain way of living. I do invite unique and strange races and adaptations/mutations although remember there's a line between "Strange but unique" and "Borderline stupid"

Last edited:
Seems cool. I'm up for it. Always did like nation building.

Question on races, i've got a previous race I would prefer to use. They essentially copy traits of other sentient life. Too OP?

Seems cool. I'm up for it. Always did like nation building.

Question on races, i've got a previous race I would prefer to use. They essentially copy traits of other sentient life. Too OP?
You mean like a shape changer?
Hmmmm, I would allow it if they can only mimic the traits for a certain amount of time

well perhaps you could have a mainly military population but have it an overall smaller faction
That sounds good. I use up resources to build up my bigger units, and they turn into useless mush when it's done being used? Also, how about I begin as a mostly psychic force, that must use the enemy's resources to build up my own army of Sci Fi horrors. They'd also have a rot timer that makes them gradually weaker until it is completely unusable.

That sounds good. I use up resources to build up my bigger units, and they turn into useless mush when it's done being used? Also, how about I begin as a mostly psychic force, that must use the enemy's resources to build up my own army of Sci Fi horrors. They'd also have a rot timer that makes them gradually weaker until it is completely unusable.
sounds good

I'm interested...but how does one rp as an entire nation? I have not taken part in something like this before
ill tell ya
The basic principle is that you hold control over an entire nation
you'll create a ruler who can decide what to do, you could think of him as your main character or mouth piece
you can order your ships to explore the galaxy and come into contact with other nations (be sure to ask the player first)
you can send out groups of soldiers or researchers and such that you can have do things if you want

now that was the more practical side of things, the more lore related stuff is like

you can make your own culture that could impact your choices as a nation/leader
write not just the history of a character but a whole nation, civil wars, famous moments, ect....
even write your own religion

Back