The World of Equinox

The night would pass without incident. The druid remained awake throughout the night, occasionally his eyes glowing with the same flame that had consumed them earlier that evening. But as promised, the storm would pass away by morning although the foreboding clouds did seem to promise the incessant rains would return. The group would find a light breakfast had been set for them.

After they had eaten, Ruarc stood and motioned them all to follow him to the den where Ellena kept the Wulgar and horses for the evening. “Lala, come here.” Ellena called. A huge white wolf-like creature obeyed, walking over to its petite master.

“Other than Andrich’s pony, and Ellena’s wulgar, the rest of the mounts are for your choosing.” Ruarc stated. “Though, Grendal, you may want to use the largest male wulgar.” He pointed to the largest black and silver creature with a broad back. “All mounting gear are against the wall over there. Take care of your mounts, they will be with you for a part of this journey..” He stated, taking one of the horses for his own. The large black horse seemed to know what Ruarc expected of him.

Once they were all mounted, he directed the group to head south at a slow trot. The way was not difficult past climbing down the south side of the mountain. The air was thick and muggy, but the air felt unnaturally chill, more so the further south they travelled.

It would take a better part of two hours for the party to reach their destination. When they were still a better part of a mile or so out, Ruarc finally piped up.

“Alright. So we’re here, mostly. I recommend not all of us try to go in. I want to avoid stepping inside in the off chance it will scare the girl to death.” He grumbled. “Andrich, Ellena.. I would recommend you two go in and attempt to speak to our Lady Zelda. Convince her to come. If that fails..” He turned to Grendal. “I don’t think you’ll mind carrying her out, do you?”

Morshore crossed her arms in the saddle, the armoured woman seated upon the largest (and only one capable of holding her) stallion the group had been offered. The beast was a mottled grey, with large spade like hooves and powerful legs. A working horse for sure, or at least the child of one.

Listening to Ruarc devise a plan, she found herself inclined to agree with him. It was a solid plan, and went through stages of risk. There was one part she made sure to interject on. "I will be accompanying Ellena." She states, brooking no argument with but a look. That woman was her greatest employer she'd had, and she would not let anything happen to her.

"It would be good to make sure they had some defence, on the off chance the child has a very negative reaction." She tacks on after a second or two of silence, before turning to look at Grendel. Staring at the man for almost half a minute she turns back towards the path. If it came to it, his musculature would do for taking the target.

Raynar rode along valiantly on the horse provided to him as he went along with the group to their destination. "I haven't ridden a horse in a long time, I'm surprised I managed to keep control of the old girl. You okay there, fella?" He exclaimed as the horse neighed in response.

However, halfway through the journey, he overheard Raurc discuss a plan and agreed with him. However he felt to add something to it.

"So. Ruarc was it?" He asked politely. "What are we expecting out of this? Assuming we're going after a noble healer or something along those lines, I'm expecting guards, and many of them. Because if that's the case, I'd like to climb the central tower and enter stealthy. I've had my fair share of moments where I've had to sneak into castles to prevent coups against Kings and Queens, so this is my forte. Unless you're prefer I go in the front door and sneak around that way."

Andrich stared at the space between his pony's ears vacantly, mind turning over the pieces of their dilemma. "I think... Raynar, if you can, I think you should stick to reconnaissance. Blend in or stay out of sight if you can; get an idea of the ins and outs. We don't know yet that the young lady is aught but stubborn or scared." he reasoned out slowly. "Miss Ellena could look important just asking for the time; she could have business anywhere, including with Lady Zelda if she is noble or wealthy. The whole mess of us are too obvious, too much noise, but Morshore is the bodyguard someone important would obviously be entitled to, and I could pull off a retainer or hireling easy enough." he added with a hint of wry humor.

His focus came back to the present, and addressed the party more directly. "That gets us in politely to speak with her. She may be willing to come once her compulsion has names and reasons." he stated hopefully. "If reasonable diplomacy fails to sway Lady Zelda's cooperation, we work Raynar as our inside man and bring Grendel to haul her out unreasonably. We keep bloody knuckles and cracked skulls to a minimum, since some of us are looking to clear their names, not add to a reputation." he reminded, looking to Gabin and giving a nod of acknowledgement. "Ruarc can stay out sight, Gabin out of trouble, and they plus Zachariel and Marcus can hang back to keep a weather eye on the whole mess." he concluded, looking a touch sheepishly at Ellena and Ruarc in fear he overstepped some rank or boundry. "Does that sound agreeable?"

Last edited:
Gabin gave a grunt of agreement. He swayed on a fat colt with a blanket thrown over the saddle. His armor was somewhat tarnished, and the muddy spots on the horse's back only added to the rather dirty look of the disgraced knight. As they went their ways, Gabin was quite surprised. These people were...strangely agreeable. He expected commotion and bloody brawls, but things were smooth, at least for now. He had a feeling there were disagreements to come, however. Cold professionals like Morshore wouldn't mix well with brutes like Grendel. It was only a matter of time before things went to hell somehow. That was just how adventuring went.

Gabin decided that when he wasn't swinging a sword, he'd try his hand at breaking up arguments, should they ever come.

Listening over their talks of how to retrieve this Zelda, he grew to understand that, barring extreme circumstances, he would not be needed. "I believe that since I'm mostly unimportant in this adventure, me and my wulgar will go and hunt together, as a way to bond each other as a pack!" Grendel leaned forward, and scratched the giant wolf-beast on the head, and rubbed its ears. "Druid, if you wish me to go somewhere in specific, speak now. Otherwise, we'll begin hunting in the first place I find, and my conscious won't be particularly dented should he catch himself a villager I know nothing of."

@Knosis

Zelda had woke with a slight cold. Something she was working on fixing. By mundane means, really, there was no use exerting herself over a runny nose and a cough. She emerged from her cloth which beneath she had been steaming her sinuses with a rather dramatic sneeze.

Her day was bound to be boring. It just continued to chug on. She was waiting for her father to return from his latest ‘quest’, though she had no idea what that meant. Her mother didn’t like to talk about it. So, she had been left to her leisure. For too long, it seemed, as she began to hum a nursery rhyme to entertain herself. It still managed to sound tone-deaf despite her lips being pursed shut.

She deemed no one inside the keep as of late worth talking to. She longed to be back in the capital, away from the constant smell of horse and amongst the vibrancy that still radiated no matter the weather. Though, speaking of, that was perhaps something she could do to occupy herself. Zelda wasn’t particularly fond of horses, unlike her family, but as a gift before leaving, her father had bought her quite the fantastic circus pony to play with. Zelda “wasn’t a little girl anymore”, or so she had said defiantly. But she loved the little creature.

With at least some direction to her day she started to dress with the help of her maid. A large woman who weighed probably four times herself. All the better for tightening corsets, her mother always insisted. She gazed out of the window listlessly as she was jostled around.

A butterfly fluttered about outside the rain-speckled window. It was dying, clearly far too wet and cold for it to have survived so long. And now it was suffering. Her head tilted lazily as she watched it. Perhaps it would be kinder to kill it quicker. Unfortunately, practicality had never been one of her strong points. With some concentration, she gifted the insect with a little more life. Not much, but enough to make her cold head pound more profoundly and its pretty wings danced with new energy. It took off, back into the sky, before being carried away by the wind.

And people still wondered why the family cat was twenty years old and still as spritely as ever.

The act didn’t go unnoticed by the maid, who gave her a warm yet oddly stern look.
“Your father would say you’re going soft, my lady” she said with the raise of an eyebrow.

“Nonsense Beverly. Fetch me my whip.”

Marcus had been choosey with his horse, going up to those that had yet to be claimed and stroking each one upon the nose before he settled on a sturdy chestnut brown horse.

On the ride to the healer he attempted small talk with the different party members but ultimately quieted down as they neared their destination. He wasn't entirely sure what his role would be in the whole mess of retrieving this Lady Zelda, he was just glad that he wouldn't have to go inside to try the diplomatic approach. He wasn't very good at words and diplomacy.

"I'm fine with staying out here," more or less standing at the ready if it turned out he was needed. Maybe this would be a chance for him to ask the druid some specific questions about their mission since they're more than likely just going to be standing around. Of particular interest to Marcus would be why their mounts were only temporary and where it was they would be heading to next.

Zachriel has never been one for horseback riding, mainly because he didn't need one other than to transport goods from home to a nearby town. But the need had never presented itself to justify him getting himself a horse. Regardless, he spent a while looking at them as the rest of the group picked out their mounts, immediately his eyes went for a large cream coloured mare, her eyes almost as blue as his own. He ensured he claimed her before anyone else could, almost like a child picking from a pile of toys.

He rode near the back of the group, but close enough to perk up as Andrich mentioned his name, planning to have him stay out while they negotiated with Lady Zelda.

That suited him fine, really he was on this for the ride... Not much was expected from the group, and that meant that this was to be over sooner rather than later.

He took a deep breath of the air around them, the cold of it burning his throat as it found its way to his lungs.

Ruarc nodded quietly. "Very well." He said, as it seemed everyone was in consensus with his suggestion. "Grendel, take Zachriel and hunt for a bit if you are heading that way anyway. Two looking for food will ensure we have enough for everyone. Ellena, Andrich, Morshore... Go ahead. The rest of us will set up here for a bit." Ellena nodded and with a soft pat on Lala's flank, started towards the keep ahead.

Ruarc dismounted his horse and lead the black stallion on the side of the road, where he found a stump and sat down on it. He hummed quietly, his eyes blazing for a moment. The air in front of him began to grow hazy, but after a moment a pile of wood appeared in front of him and a small flame sparked up in front of him. He groaned and the flames left his eyes again. "Come warm your hands.." He muttered to the remaining members.

Raynar stayed behind with Ruarc and helped set up the campsite. Luckily he always brought a sleeping bag in case one of his travels involved him camping in a forest or something similar. Grabbing a log and taking a seat on it in front of the campfire, he looked towards the remaining members.

"So. Mind telling me a little bit about who we're going for?"

After hearing his name Zachriel's eyes were drawn to the druid as he sent Grendel away to hunt alongside him. With a raised eyebrow he proceeded to follow the tall blonde male as he headed off the road and towards the surrounding forest. Zach was confident that he could easily hunt for the whole party by himself, but he wasn't about to tell Grendel or even the druid that; so he bowed his head and followed. The soft crunch from various leaves and branches echoing quietly as their mounts made their way into the heart of the woods.

"I'll head east, we can meet up later," Zachriel said as his mare turned slightly, "it's usually easier to hunt alone, or at least it is for me."

He knew Grendel would prefer being by himself too, or at least that is what he hoped as to not feel rude for leaving him behind. Half way through the woods he stopped, sniffing the air as he tried to catch scent of any creature that may wander these forests, quickly riding towards the scent of Elk.

Finally... to do something I know for a fact I can do, he thought to himself as he hopped off his mare, leaving her tied to a near by tree as he ran towards the scent.

Back