The Wyrmslayer and the Fire-Blooded Queen [1x1]

This was a major gamble for the prince. It was his last moment to back out. He could take back his charm and keep his secret. Two thought pushed him forward: either he could have fun with this human girl, or he could truly have a friend.

He drew close, his lips only an inch away from Mirakir's ear, and whispered, "I am a dragon." He pulled away from her and stood up, standing by the window and staring out at the city once again.

"It would be in your best interest to keep that secret from now on, friend. I don't want you getting hurt."​

Mirakir's mouth hung open. He couldn't be serious. He had to be jesting! It was a mean joke, if he was joking. And he WAS joking. She wouldn't believe that he was telling the truth.

She turned to look at his back, shaking slightly. "Y-You're joking, right?" Her heart pounded his anticipation to his answer. There was no way--NO WAY--that he could be a Dragon. It just couldn't be true.

He had sounded serious, though, when he had threatened her. And it was a threat. Oh no, what could she do?

"I'm deathly serious, though that spell shouldn't kill you. It will hurt, and very much so, if you let this secret get out. So be very careful."

Oriqwen shook his own head. "This is only way I could be friends with a dragon killer, isn't it? I would love to be your friend, but..."

The prince's voice fell to a softer tone. She might be able to catch a glimpse of water gathering in his eyes. "I have to keep us safe. What's magic for, if not to keep loved ones safe? I'm sure you understand, mage, but we're not hurting anyone here."​

Mirakir's face flushed scarlet with fury.

"You-You enchanted me?" she sputtered. "And you think, you have the audacity to think I would ever be friends with you? You're sick! How dare you? We could've been friends if you had kept it a secret! Now that I know you're a Dragon, even if you hadn't enchanted me, I won't be friends with you!"

She strode up to him and leaned in, glaring into his eyes. "I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you die. You got that Prince Oriqwen? You and your mother both. I'll let my Master know, even if it kills me!" She slapped him as hard as she could, spat in his face, then ran to the window, and, with only a quick glance down into the darkness, she jumped.

As she fell, hair flying upward and legs flailing, she felt hot tears rip from her eyes. How could this have happened? She had just wanted to be friends. Now she knew that, like she had joked before, the two hardest people in the kingdom to kill were the Dragons they had come for.

She squeezed her eyes shut and sobbed, the sound wrenched from her throat and lost in the whistling wind. After a moment her eyes popped open and she watched the ground flying up to meet her. She let out a shriek, realizing that she may have made the worst decision of her life. Her mind ripped through the spells she knew that might be able to save her life, and--she was sure--seconds before she met a horrible death and cried out a rhyming spell to slow descent.

She didn't land on her feet, but she didn't die when she finished her fall, so she considered it a win. Sobbing hard, she found her cloak, flung it around her shoulders and latched it, tried to smooth her hair, and lifted her hood to hide her red face. She tried to scrub the tears away, but they kept falling. She crouched on the ground and let her grief spill out. She knew whom she and Wyrmill were after((I have no idea what the correct grammar for this sentence this. I think I got it right, but if you know PLEASE tell me.)), but she couldn't tell anyone without getting hurt. Despite what she had told that despicable creature, she wasn't sure she was willing to die to tell Wyrmill the truth. He might need her help to kill both of them, not to mention that she didn't want to die.

Maybe she could drop hints without actually saying it? She didn't think she would be able to write it down, because the monster had said that if she let the "secret slip" she would feel the pain. "Secret slip" probably included writing it down. Could she tell Wyrmill that she had been cursed without saying what she had been cursed against saying? Could he break the spell?

Mirakir climbed to her feet, quivering. She wiped away her tears and headed for the gates to the castle. It was probably supper time. She would have to find a way to tell her Master what had happened before they ate. Maybe they could get away from eating with the beasts. Since the queen was a Dragon she would undoubtedly have at least one way planned to kill Mira and her master. Poisoned food? An assassin waiting in a shadow?

Mirakir began to run. She had to find Wyrmill before they ate with the Dragons! She barely paused to tell the guards who she was before sprinting past them and into the castle.

Wyrmill stood stoically before the door to the dragon's dining hall. He patted down his pockets, taking inventory of all he had brought for this dinner:

A knife, charmed to pierce through a dragon's hide. A pouch of salt, blessed by the local priest, known to harm and ward off faerie folk. Antidotes to common poisons, and poisons with uncommon antidotes. And, if all goes wrong, a tome with spells far beyond his own power.

However, before he made a grand entrance, he heard his apprentice approach. "Good, I won't go alone," he thought. However, something seemed wrong. Sobbing? Tears? Wyrmill scowled. He placed his hands forward to firmly stop Mirakir's run. Holding her shoulders at arms length, he looked her in the eyes.

His grip and voice softened. He asked, "What's wrong? Who hurt you?"​

When she saw Wyrmill she completely broke down, and, while she would never have dared if she had been thinking clearly, she flung her arms around him, sobbing into his shoulder.

"I-I don't kn-know what t-to do," she said, shaking so hard that she stuttered. "The-The prince... I just wanted to be friends..." She sobbed harder.

"Oh, Master, I don't know what to do! Help me!"

Wyrmill held her close and allowed her to sob into his shoulder. As he heard what she had to say, I fire built up in his veins, hotter than a dragon's flames. The fire of rage burned behind his eyes. His face twisted into a scowl.

"Well, Mirakir, we have two options. For the first, we dry those tears, gird our loins, and pay those dragons back tenfold for the pain they've caused you. However, if there's any fear left in your heart, then we choose the second. We run while we can and live to fight another day."

He gently moved her head off his shoulder and looked into her eyes. He said, "I won't judge you for either choice, but make one quickly. Danger lies down either path."​

Mira stared at her master, eyes very wide. "Y-You know? How did you figure it out? I didn't know until just now. That's why..." she lowered her head and let out a little whimper.

Then she raised her head, scrubbed the tears from her eyes, and smiled fiercely. "No way we're leaving. They need to go down. Besides, I told the prince that I would make sure he and the queen died. I can't go back on my word now can I? I'm not afraid; just sad." She tried to inhale the mucus in her nose back up, but when that didn't work she took out her kerchief and blew her nose.

"But, Master, what can we do? I'm sure the queen has at least one trap waiting for us. If we eat with her then there will be plenty of opportunities for her to try to strike us down. What about poisoned food?"

"The simple solution? We don't eat. We go in, and the moment the queen and prince arrive, we strike. It will be dangerous, but we can do anything. This is what we've trained for. I believe in you."

Meanwhile, the young prince flees from his room. He soars down the hall. The patter of his feet against the tiled floor approaches the queen's private chambers. As one of the only people capable of interrupting her, he calls out to her, "Mother, we may have a problem. That wizard's apprentice might be onto our tricks."​

((Ohhhhhh boy. Trouble there be's. XD))

Mira forced a smile. "Thank you, Master. I won't let you down." She then bit her lip. "Uh, Master? May I see your grimoire? There's a spell that I think will be useful that I'm not positive I know well enough to not say it wrong under pressure." She smiled weakly. "Actually, there are a lot like that."

Wyrmill gingerly places the tome in his apprentice's hands. "I'd rather you hold tight to it. Better to not forget the spells at all. you can trust that I have a few in my head as well. now let us enter." He pushed the doors open to the grand dining hall. Servants were bustling back an forth, and one led the two of them to their seats at the end of a long table.​

Back