Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Tiranoth: The Silverquill Theater

Fishman

Broseidon
Benefactor
Silverquill was in a state of hustle and bustle in the late evening as the sun began to drop beneath the horizon. Of course, none could see the sun unless they were in the lobby, where the windows stood tall and rather grandly, stained with the faces of comedy and woe.

Most were rushing backstage and pushing around props in preparation for one of many rehearsals. Actors were doing many voice exercises backstage, though many did not seed to, and those in charge of lighting were aiming down at the center.

Below the stage, standing in front of the many stage seating that would be full in several weeks, was an unnaturally tall and thin man in a suit. The paleness of his skin seemed painted into the shape of a skull, with his lower jaw and hairline painted a solid black. He had a thick head of blonde hair that was gelled to the side, falling slightly over one of his faintly glowing eyes. He was known as Jason, the director of the current play rehearsal.

"Come now, come now! In your places!" he chanted, snapping his fingers with haste.

Appearance
Appearance: His head is that of a tapered cylinder, the neck being the shorter end, with a short purple flat hat on his top. A crooked jagged smile is accompanied with a pair of red glowing eyes are engraved on his face. A cloak drops down from his neck, a red jewel acting as the clasp at the neck. Within his cloak or six brass limbs hidden within. Each one limb ends with a three-pronged claw. Each limb can also have the claw substituted with other tools. He floats in the air, his cloak barely touching the ground.

---

Another rehearsal. The play was a classic. Romances were a popular theme, and this was no exception. What was it called? "The Last Flower?" It wasn't exactly Daz's favorite theme. Still, what he wouldn't give to be the main star, if not just a background character. The problem was there were "better" actors that were put into those roles. The best part? When Daz applied, he told his voice acting was only just decent. Just decent? He could put all of these so called actors to shame! Still, it was best to keep his trap shut if he wanted to keep his job. Stage crew wasn't the worst thing he could be doing right now. Mopping up after the tavern closed down? A job for peasant.

Daz twirled his cloak around floating into position with several levitating objects in tow. His ability to manipulate objects was unprecedented, and was what gave Daz the idea to give himself the title of "The Puppeteer." People sometimes called the name dumb, and Daz usually fired back.

He hid himself in the catwalks above, prepared to manipulate props as need be. Being a romance, there wasn't much to manipulate. Moving objects into and out of scene, crumbling walls, and lowering drawbridges. Nothing fancy or as dramatic as bringing a training dummy to life.

Daz moved the first objects onto the scene. A fountain, made out of foam, and a few benches. There was supposed to be one of the main cast on their daily routine. Something to set the tone and introduce the character in proper form.

Someone walked atop the catwalks with him, which was strange, because Dougal, who worked the lights and was normally the only other person with him, was focusing on one of the fixtures, and he was still.

"Hey. Daz! That's your name, right?" came a hoarse whisper.

Standing behind him was a woman swathed in onyx from head to toe. A spell cast onto her skin speckled it like a night sky and put the light of the moon in her eyes. So dark were her skin and dress that only the outward folds of the outfit made it apparent she was wearing anything at all.

When she smiled, only her teeth were seen, and not the lips that stretched over them. It was Silverquill's one and only Glenna Graham, a brilliant actress that had taken the stage in many of their plays and operas, but mysteriously decided to step back during this production and become an extra.

She approached Daz with a grace that defied gravity, stepping lightly on her toes. "We don't get to see you much, but when I cast my eyes upward I do catch glimpses. Do you find it fun, making everything work down there for us? Getting to play around?"

Daz whipped around, the props needing no immediate attention. He took his hat off and bowed, "Yes Ms. Graham. Indeed it is. At your service. Ah, the props down below? Oh... I've had a little fun here and there. I've made a few chairs skip off scene, or a table pick itself up and walk off, though, sometimes I get a glare for that," he chuckled, "still, being down there with the props is something I hope to do one day. I was told I wasn't fit to act. Me? Not fit? Feh," Daz's eyes widened, "I... should not have said that out loud."

He gave a crooked smile,"Ah, well, on that sour note, what brings you here? I don't believe you've come up here without reason, though I am honored," although Daz thought himself higher than most other actors, Glenna was certainly one that even Daz had to show respect to. He was certain that the cost of admission would be lower without her in the starring role. Hm, why did she step back?

"Oh, I think I can remember an occasion or two, you mischievous little mink," teased Glenna. "It was nice to have something that wasn't scripted happen once in a while. They made me laugh."

She leaned on the railing beside Daz and gazed down at the stage with hooded lids, eyes half-moons. "I thought to view the stage from another angle today. See what you see. It's wonderful." Glenna looked up at the puppet. "It's no wonder you linger for its light. How you long for the chance to face the crowd."

Her eyes wandered next to the stage manager. "Monroe is so picky, though. Surely it's not your fault you haven't gotten a chance to share the stage, to grow, to evolve as an actor and show us all who you are Once he finds his niche, he keeps to it. What a mistake."

Daz gave a smile with a laugh, "Well if Monroe is going to keep me up here, I might as well add a little personality of my own regardless," he lifted himself a little higher, "Mmmm... maybe it's because I'm too good with props that he keeps me up here. Heheh..." Daz waved his claw, making a bench shuffle off to the side while one of the crew was sitting on it. It gave him quite the jump.

He sighed looking down, "But I suppose if that were true, then he has no incentive to move me. What a conundrum... Urgh... but maybe there's a way. I just need to think of it," Daz froze for a moment before whisking around, "Wait a minute, did you, the main star of our prestigious theatre, just imply that I should be on stage?"

Fingers up to her lips, she giggled, and it sounded like the chiming of bells. "Indeed, I did! Are you so surprised? We've had the same actors for years. I've been hearing the same voices, looked at the usual faces, memorized their acting styles. It's killing me."

Glenna grabbed the railing with both hands and flipped her legs over the railing, sitting herself down with the floatiness of a feather. She swirled her toes through the air as though she was touching water.

"There needs to be more fish in this pond. New blood. A fresh glass of water. I think you'd be that fish, Daz. You ought to be."

Could this be his big chance? It had to be. Soon the world could see how fantastic he was! If that was, they could somehow convince Monroe to allow him to act in front of the crowds. Monroe had already turned him down from acting. Too many stars already in the limelight. His acting being only competent for a highschool play, and not that of an actual theatre. Still there was a chance to spit in his face. Figuratively. Daz couldn't spit.

"Thank you! I don't know how I could repay you! Er... well I suppose I may jumped the gun. Monroe has the final say on this in the end... but I will not be defeated so easily! Er, we, that is," Daz gave a nervous chuckle, "I suppose there's no point in delaying. Shall we descend to meet Monroe?"

"We shall, but let me do the talking for now. Understand?"

Before Daz had a chance to answer, Glenna leaned forward and slid off of the catwalk, a finger to her lips. She landed in front of Monroe, who widened his eyes in mild surprise.

"Hello, Monroe," she said, smiling at the man before her. As he opened his mouth to speak, she held up a hand to silence him. "Rehearsal can wait... for a moment. I'm here to talk about withdrawing my spot in the production."

It was a long half hour with both Glenna and Monroe in the ticket booth making gestures at one another either in frustration or disbelief. Eventually, Monroe opened the door of the ticket booth, letting Glenna leave, but not before he screamed as she passed:

"DAZ! DAZ VEELN! GET IN HERE!"

Daz looked down from the catwalks, slightly jittery with anticipation. Either Glenna didn't hold nearly as much power as he though, or Monroe was very stubborn. Then again, 30 minutes wasn't all that long for a whole new recast this late into production. He was jolted by Monroe's voice. Daz grew to dislike his voice. It held too much authority and control. It was water to Daz's flame. Still, this flame could not be extinguished! He'd prove not only that, but that he could burn the entire place down! Metaphorically, that is.

Grabbing a piece of rope to lower himself down with, Daz landed on the stage, before drifting on over towards Monroe. He flashed a smile to Glenna, but thought it would be better to not waste much more time than that.

"Yes Monroe?" Daz said with a wicked smile.

Monroe would beckon Daz over, and once inside, the man would take a seat, hands clasped atop his lap. His lips were drawn thin and his eyebrows arched. He looked stiff, like an animal backed into a corner.

"Daz," he spoke, thumbnails digging into the skin of his fingers. "I hear you'd like to be an actor here, is that right? How much prior experience do you have?"

Glenna did it. She actually did it. Those words that Monroe spoke, it echoed in Daz's mind. He had been waiting so long to hear them. He had been waiting to hear a lot of other words too, but they'd come in time. He had to climb the ladder to greatness, which Daz was sure he'd ascend in no time. Perhaps even higher than Glenna.

"Ah! Yes, absolutely correct," Daz thought back to his previous jobs. Most of which he either quit or was fired from. It was those past experiences that kept his mouth shut at this job for the most part.

"I've been a performer in the Firestar troupe," which was now defunct and had little reputation, "I was a stagehand at several theatres. I've even had my own little show between intermissions at the Leyla Stage! It was mostly tricks with props, but still!" Daz left out who he was working for, just where he did it. Again, the company wasn't of renown, and was also defunct.

Daz took a spare chair, and demonstrated, bringing the chair to life as it did a little dance on the ground whilst it simultaneously juggled a few pencils. Hopefully he wasn't stretching the line by using office equipment as an example.

Back