Side Story To Boldly Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Let’s let Bones do what he can for her father,” Kirk replied to Birdy. “But you’re right we can’t hang on for long in this place.”

The Doctor meanwhile went to address Kiara some more. “You said something about biological food. From where I’m from living beings tend to use that for sustenance.”

Kiara chuckled. “Well yeah I mean I guess it’s all still biological but it’s grown in labs. Saves costs you know and more efficient. Puts all the work in one place. I’m not one of the bigwigs but it seems like that’s what the people want nowadays. Literally, everyone’s living in the city now. You don’t have to go anywhere far because you got everything at your fingertips. My dad’s a bit of an old school thinker so that’s why we’re still here.”

“Captain!” The group could hear Bones shouting from the porch. “Would you mind coming over here for a minute?”

If anyone wished to follow him they could as Kirk came close he had a concerned look on his face. “Is the fath-?”

“What? You think one look over from me and he croaks?” Bones admonished him. “No I managed to stabilize him but…” He looked around and leaned in closer so that Kiara wouldn’t overhear them from where she was. “This wasn’t natural. I detected high levels of toxicity in his body. Luckily we got here when we did or he wouldn’t have been long for this world.”

“Poisoned, Bones?”
Kirk asked surprised. “You don’t believe Kiara-?”

“No. At least I don’t believe so,” Bones replied back under his breath. “This was a synthetic poison. From what I’ve seen of this place and my readings this farm doesn’t have the necessary equipment to create it. Maybe if you try some gentle questioning with Kiara we might get a clearer picture of the situation?”

@Atomic Knight @Space_Candy @MaxIrvaron @Capri @Crow @Gummi Bunnies @Minerva @Lucky @Sark @PolikShadowbliss @MagatsuNoImouto @Ver @Chaos Sphere @Takumi @Yun Lee

View attachment 9690

"Synthetic poison, huh? Guess it really is better to go organic," Birdy breathed, her gaze narrowing at the news that Bones brought regarding the father. Despite her words, her tone indicated that even she was able to comprehend the severity of the situation.

Putting her hands on her hips, the woman tilted her head slightly. At the suggestion of questioning Kiara for more info, Birdy nodded. "Easy enough. No time like the present then," she said. Busting heads was closer to Birdy's specialty, but as an officer of her own Federation, she knew well enough how to talk to people to get what she wanted to.

Mostly.

With that, ever the go-getter, Birdy assertively walked over toward Kiara once more, folding her arms behind her back. "I dunno if someone already asked, but... when was the last time someone else came over to visit? Any weird people pass by?"

@Jeremi @Gummi Bunnies @Yun Lee @Chaos Sphere @Lucky @Space_Candy @Everybody

Wyatt Logan

Wyatt considered for a moment the best approach to the girl and he decided that it was a better idea to ask something about Bones. " Mr. Bones, would you mind if I looked around the room where you examined him? There might be something in there that could have been left behind by whatever happened to him.

@Jeremi @Everybody

Kiara thought for a moment. “Oh, there was a man from the city not too long ago. He had some product on him he wanted to sell, but that wasn’t interested so we didn’t buy anything. The farm has everything we need after all.”

Seemingly just realizing what they had asked her Kiara got a worrying look in her eyes. “W-why do you ask?”

Bones meanwhile shook his head at Wyatt. “You don’t think if there was something that the camcorder wouldn’t have picked up on it? Whatever it was is no longer on the farm.”

“Whether it’s still here or not isn’t the important part,” The Doctor joined in on the conversation speaking softly enough that Kiara wouldn’t hear them. “The question is why? Why would someone bother to poison a poor old farmer in the middle of nowhere?”

@Atomic Knight @Space_Candy @MaxIrvaron @Capri @Crow @Gummi Bunnies @Minerva @Lucky @Sark @PolikShadowbliss @MagatsuNoImouto @Ver @Chaos Sphere @Takumi @Yun Lee

"Well..." Birdy began to respond to Kiara, before stopping as she heard Tsutomu's pressing voice in her head once more.

Careful, Birdy. Don't say anything too harsh to her. We both know what happens when you let your mouth fly off the handle! He exclaimed urgently.

Oh, shut it!

Clearing her throat, the woman started over again. "We were just thinking, someone might have had a hand in doing that to your father, on purpose even. But, ah... don't you worry! As long as you help us, we'll be sure to find this man again and have a nice little talk with him!" She attempted to assure the girl. "You said he's from the city, huh? Guess we know what our next stop is supposed to be, then..."

@Jeremi @Lucky @Gummi Bunnies @Yun Lee @Chaos Sphere @Space_Candy @Everybody

Kiara thought for a moment. “Oh, there was a man from the city not too long ago. He had some product on him he wanted to sell, but that wasn’t interested so we didn’t buy anything. The farm has everything we need after all.”

Seemingly just realizing what they had asked her Kiara got a worrying look in her eyes. “W-why do you ask?”

Bones meanwhile shook his head at Wyatt. “You don’t think if there was something that the camcorder wouldn’t have picked up on it? Whatever it was is no longer on the farm.”

“Whether it’s still here or not isn’t the important part,” The Doctor joined in on the conversation speaking softly enough that Kiara wouldn’t hear them. “The question is why? Why would someone bother to poison a poor old farmer in the middle of nowhere?”

"Do you think it had anything to do with what Kiara said about the other farms in some way?" Noah asked aloud after the doctor posed a question, having listened to the conversation up to that point and not liking what he was hearing as he kept his tone low to not alert the farmer's daughter. ARC was a cooperation involving medicine and medical advancements, and the reason he even had his special heart monitor and the earlier model of said item in the first place long before inherited the company.

Hearing that the farmer had been ill and then that poisoning was the cause when it was so far the only farm still around bugged him immensely. Yet why would someone go through the trouble of doing so? As far as he knew from what Kiara said, some still wanted produce from the farm. It seemed there was more to it than that.

@Jeremi @Lucky @Yun Lee @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Chaos Sphere @Space_Candy @Everybody

Last edited:
“It is possible,” The Doctor replied aside to Noah. “If the land was valuable enough. I have seen it many times before, but it still doesn’t really make sense does it? Kiara herself said that they were no threat to anyone. Population or business.”

As the Doctor and Noah mused on Kiara gasped in shock at Birdy’s remarks like the pieces of a puzzle were all falling into place. “It was him! That bastard tried to murder my father! But why? Just because we weren’t going to buy any of his synthetic swill? It doesn’t make sense.”

“Perhaps you will soon be able to ask them,” The voice came from Abin Sur who landed next to them, seemed he had gone on quick scouting of the area from the sky. “I detected a convoy of three vehicles coming down the road. No doubt this farm is their destination.”

“This doesn’t make any sense,” Kiara mumbled as Kirk turned towards Abin Sur.

“Do you believe they, are a threat?”

“I cannot say, my ring detected 8 life signs spread out on in the three vehicles.”

“I bet it’s only a friendly welcoming committee,” Bones snarked. “Jim, if these people were involved in the poisoning of Kiara’s father perhaps they are here to check out their dirty work?”

Kirk nodded. “That is possible, or they are here to investigate us. Perhaps they detected our single when we beamed down to the planet?”

“Whatever the case may be,” The Doctor joined in the conversation. “Let’s put in our best behavior. There is no use in pointlessly antagonizing them. Until we need to, of course.”

Usagi was barely paying attention to the conversation that was happening around her, more interested in the barn creatures- to which she was cooing and petting. She looked up for a moment at Kiara.

"Do they have names?" She grinned brightly.

@Jeremi

Wyatt Logan

" I do think it is possible that the camcorder could have missed something if it wasn't a drink, but something that they personally placed in the room. The point seems moot now, because the men have certainly returned to the scene of the crime,"
he replied without missing a single beat. He took a second to consider. "I think that goes without saying, but I guess we wait an see."

@Jeremi

"So... It seems that something important is up to discussion," Golbez said to himself as he stepped away from the animals, having satisfied his curiosity and noticing that he had missed an important discussion. Golbez walked to the building's entrance and stayed as a lookout, waiting for the others to finish their discussion.

@Jeremi

Kiara seemed happy with the distraction that Usagi gave her. “Oh yeah! That one in front of you is Lele and her buddy next to her is Lala, and the old lady in the back is Lulu.”

“Seems like you’re mighty sure of yourself,” Bones meanwhile continued his discussion with Wyatt. “Not like I’ve been working with this for over 20 years or something.”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it, Bones.” Kirk tried to assure his friend.

As that continued the group could see dust whipping up on the road as the cars came closer. The three vehicles stopped at the entrance of the farm. For those in the know they didn’t seem like any civilian vehicles, they seemed like military-grade equipment. The doors opened revealing men in well-dressed suits, or what this planet probably thought was well-dressed. One person, in particular, seemed to be the one in charge.

Slicked back purple hair wearing a light blue suit stepped up as the other seven took point next and behind him. He didn’t seem surprised seeing the Enterprise crew there on the farm. “Ms. Kiara, how good to see you.”

“Mr. Retrigan,” Kiara replied back. The group could tell there was some tenseness in her voice. “What brings you around these parts?”

“Oh I am here to see your father,” He looked around. “Where is he anyway? I believe he’s always around doing his work.”

“He’s in bed. He…hasn’t felt really well.”

“But he’ll be back on his feet in no time!” Bones added with a not-so-friendly smile on his face.

“Is that so?” Retrigan remarked his eyebrows raised ever so slightly. “And you are-?”

This was when Kirk stepped in. “Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.” He gave out his hand for a shake that wasn’t reproached and Kirk lowered it once again. “I apologize if we have caused a stir. We are explorers of space and we landed on your beautiful planet to collect some samples and enjoy the scenery. Mister?”

“Retigan. Teo Retigan.”

“Mr. Retigan. Exactly.” Kirk smiled and nodded. “I hope we aren’t causing any problems being here? I have to say you don’t seem amazed to see us.”

“We do get travelers from other planets,” Retigan assured. “But it’s been quite a while since last time.”

“Well it’s a beautiful place,” The Doctor came in echoing Kirks sentiment. “Are you a friend of the family perhaps?”

“Potential business partner, though I’m afraid not even that will come to pass.” He looked over to Kairi. “Her father is a real stubborn sort.”

“As he’s probably told you Mr. Retigan,” Kairi replied. “We’re perfectly happy staying where we are.”

“Of course, of course, I couldn’t dare to presume you would wish to let go of,” He motioned around himself. “This.”

View attachment 9717

"Yeah, it's a beautiful farm, isn't it? It's to die for," Birdy said with a narrowed gaze at Retigan, not entirely interested in playing pleasantries like Kirk and Bones might have been. The space officer had seen enough from her own pocket of the universe to recognize when someone was being shaken down, and though it seemed Kiara and her father were stubborn enough to resist, stubbornness alone wasn't gonna be able to protect them from these kinds of people.

"In the meantime, while her father is recovering, I'm sure Ms. Kiara is more than happy to answer your... business inquiries. You wouldn't mind if we'd bear witness to it, would ya?" She continued, crossing her arms assertively. These guys talked big without talking big; Birdy knew exactly the type. Plausible deniability was man's best friend around these parts.

@Jeremi @Chaos Sphere @Lucky @Space_Candy @Takumi @Everybody

"..." Though his eyes were closed, Sasara kept his gaze fixed on Retrigan. He wasn't going to be overtly chummy like Bones and Kirk, rather grinning as he nodded with what Birdie said. "Yeah! We certainly don't wanna disturb any locals. Let's keep this peaceful little farm peaceful, yeah?"

@Jeremi @Ver @Everyone​

Golbez stepped into the house and teleported close to Birdy in response to the mood brought in by the stranger who had introduced himself as Mr. Retigan. "I can see why one would find it hard to abandon a haven where the air is fresh, and the grass is lush," Golbez commented, his gentle but audible tone and the entirety of the armor hiding the mild suspicion that he held, "It is much harder to leave if the said haven had loyally served as one's home," he added in a slightly somber tone. He did not enjoy the connotation held by the alleged potential business partner's statements, and while he tried his best to be polite, he sees no reason to act overtly friendly to the man in the light-blue suit.

@Jeremi @Ver @Yun Lee @EveryoneElse

If Retrigan was wise to what Birdy and the others were implicating he held it to himself. “I am sure a certain crowd would find this place…quaint. But they are sadly becoming a dying breed on this planet.”

He looked over to Golbez for a moment looking slightly taken aback at the massive frame in front of him before his gaze again went over to Kairi. “Well, please tell your father I was here. As for our visitors.”

Kirk looked calm when Retrigan turned towards him. “If you wish I am more than capable to serve as your guide during your stay here. I can assure you the City has far more to offer you than the countryside. I pride myself working as a goodwill ambassador for everyone to feel welcome.”

View attachment 9730

Barely able to cover a smirk that crawled upon her features, Birdy let out a soft sneer as she used a hand to cover her face slightly. The man was a hard read, but she liked a good challenge. Besides, it seemed that they were all on their way to the city anyway, so they may as well take the man up on his offer while they were here. One had to keep enemies close, after all.

Still, I don't like the look of them. Be careful, Birdy!

When am I not?

Too many times.

Crossing her arms eventually, the woman cleared her throat, deciding to play along with Retrigan's game if everyone else was on board. "Well, that'd just be too kind of you. I suppose we could use the look around town and see what the rest of this place has to offer, if there aren't any objections?"

@Jeremi @Yun Lee @Chaos Sphere @Lucky @Takumi @Space_Candy @Everybody

Kiara seemed happy with the distraction that Usagi gave her. “Oh yeah! That one in front of you is Lele and her buddy next to her is Lala, and the old lady in the back is Lulu.”

“Seems like you’re mighty sure of yourself,” Bones meanwhile continued his discussion with Wyatt. “Not like I’ve been working with this for over 20 years or something.”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it, Bones.” Kirk tried to assure his friend.

As that continued the group could see dust whipping up on the road as the cars came closer. The three vehicles stopped at the entrance of the farm. For those in the know they didn’t seem like any civilian vehicles, they seemed like military-grade equipment. The doors opened revealing men in well-dressed suits, or what this planet probably thought was well-dressed. One person, in particular, seemed to be the one in charge.

Slicked back purple hair wearing a light blue suit stepped up as the other seven took point next and behind him. He didn’t seem surprised seeing the Enterprise crew there on the farm. “Ms. Kiara, how good to see you.”

“Mr. Retrigan,” Kiara replied back. The group could tell there was some tenseness in her voice. “What brings you around these parts?”

“Oh I am here to see your father,” He looked around. “Where is he anyway? I believe he’s always around doing his work.”

“He’s in bed. He…hasn’t felt really well.”

“But he’ll be back on his feet in no time!” Bones added with a not-so-friendly smile on his face.

“Is that so?” Retrigan remarked his eyebrows raised ever so slightly. “And you are-?”

This was when Kirk stepped in. “Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.” He gave out his hand for a shake that wasn’t reproached and Kirk lowered it once again. “I apologize if we have caused a stir. We are explorers of space and we landed on your beautiful planet to collect some samples and enjoy the scenery. Mister?”

“Retigan. Teo Retigan.”

“Mr. Retigan. Exactly.” Kirk smiled and nodded. “I hope we aren’t causing any problems being here? I have to say you don’t seem amazed to see us.”

“We do get travelers from other planets,” Retigan assured. “But it’s been quite a while since last time.”

“Well it’s a beautiful place,” The Doctor came in echoing Kirks sentiment. “Are you a friend of the family perhaps?”

“Potential business partner, though I’m afraid not even that will come to pass.” He looked over to Kairi. “Her father is a real stubborn sort.”

“As he’s probably told you Mr. Retigan,” Kairi replied. “We’re perfectly happy staying where we are.”

“Of course, of course, I couldn’t dare to presume you would wish to let go of,” He motioned around himself. “This.”

If Retrigan was wise to what Birdy and the others were implicating he held it to himself. “I am sure a certain crowd would find this place…quaint. But they are sadly becoming a dying breed on this planet.”

He looked over to Golbez for a moment looking slightly taken aback at the massive frame in front of him before his gaze again went over to Kairi. “Well, please tell your father I was here. As for our visitors.”

Kirk looked calm when Retrigan turned towards him. “If you wish I am more than capable to serve as your guide during your stay here. I can assure you the City has far more to offer you than the countryside. I pride myself working as a goodwill ambassador for everyone to feel welcome.”

View attachment 9730

Barely able to cover a smirk that crawled upon her features, Birdy let out a soft sneer as she used a hand to cover her face slightly. The man was a hard read, but she liked a good challenge. Besides, it seemed that they were all on their way to the city anyway, so they may as well take the man up on his offer while they were here. One had to keep enemies close, after all.

Still, I don't like the look of them. Be careful, Birdy!

When am I not?

Too many times.

Crossing her arms eventually, the woman cleared her throat, deciding to play along with Retrigan's game if everyone else was on board. "Well, that'd just be too kind of you. I suppose we could use the look around town and see what the rest of this place has to offer, if there aren't any objections?"

@Jeremi @Yun Lee @Chaos Sphere @Lucky @Takumi @Space_Candy @Everybody

Crossing his arms, Noah observed as the two groups talked. While he perked at the news of Retrigan being a potential business partner to the farm and Kiara's response, he didn't speak on it.

77306c5c02460f779fcec48fc32935eec93ccb1f.jpg

"No objections from me, it's nice to know that you're kind enough to give a tour and such." He spoke up, keeping how he really felt in their presence under wraps. The fact that they came in what seems to be military vehicles didn't sit well with him either.

@Jeremi @Ver @Yun Lee @Lucky @Chaos Sphere @Space_Candy @Gummi Bunnies @Everyone

"Awful sweet of you, mister. But I think I'd like to enjoy the countryside for a spell. City guys like me tend to find our jungles a bit more concrete than this." Sasara would take in a breath of fresh air for emphasis. "Mm...you don't get a smell like THAT out in the big city!"

In truth, Sasara didn't like the idea of leaving Kiara alone while the rest of the group stayed distracted. Plus, if he could stick behind, maybe he could get some extra intel from the farmers that they couldn't share around Retrigan? "I can always go, too, if the captain thinks it best we all stick together. We should really get a buddy system going..."

@Jeremi @Ver @Yun Lee @Lucky @Chaos Sphere @Space_Candy @Gummi Bunnies @Takumi @Everyone​

"I wouldn't mind a small tour around the city. It allows one to contemplate if moving out from the farm into the city life is worth it," Golbez nodded slightly. Despite his apparent agreement, he has a plan that he has yet to divulge. The presence of heavily-armed vehicles does not seem to be typical for one with peaceful intentions, for it had reminded him about certain events.

@Jeremi @Ver @Yun Lee @Space_Candy @Lucky @Takumi @EveryoneElse

“I can’t force you,” Kirk remarked to those that seemed hesitant to take Retrigan up on his offer. “You are. After all. Just travelers on my vessel.”

“Oh yes, I would love to get a look at the city!” The Doctor exclaimed. “Since it’s already so splendid looking from over here. It must be even more fantastic up close.”

“I’m staying behind, Jim,” Bones remarked. “I need to run a few more tests.”

“As will I,” Abin Sur nodded. “I wish to explore the region outside of the city a bit longer.”

“Of course,” Kirk replied. He knew if any problems arose they could always be returned to the Enterprise. He then turned towards Retrigan. “You think we’ll all fit in those vehicles you came in with?”

Retrigan chuckled. “I’m sure with a little restructuring we’ll work something out.”

“You heard the man! Single file everyone. We’re going on an excursion.” Kirk was all smiles but he was clearly not trusting the man in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back