Tomorrow's Maintenance: What to Expect

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
So, tomorrow's maintenance is going to be quite the overhaul, so I wanted to give people a heads-up about a few things.

The look of the overall website is going to change. This is necessary because our current site theme will no longer be supported, so while we encourage people to give constructive feedback on the new look of things after we get it up and running, feedback of 'put it back how it was' simply won't be possible.

Initially we will only have our default brown theme, but we will be spending the week following the upgrade slowly putting all the other color varieties back in, as well as a new dark theme. So if you don't like the default brown, just be patient with us. We decided to do it over time after the upgrade so we could minimize the downtime since each theme can take a lot of time to put together.

And lastly there may be some hiccups in the hours/days following the upgrade, so if you see anything looking or acting out of place, just let us know so we can address it.

And lastly there may be some hiccups in the hours/days following the upgrade, so if you see anything looking or acting out of place, just let us know so we can address it.

What would you reckon the best methods would be to contact you or any staff members handling the upgrade if we come across an issue after it's been completed?

After the upgrade, the best method is going to still be a site PM to any of the admins, those being @Tiko , @Yun Lee , and myself. We'll also have our discord information up once the discord integration is finished.

The look of the overall website is going to change. This is necessary because our current site theme will no longer be supported, so while we encourage people to give constructive feedback on the new look of things after we get it up and running, feedback of 'put it back how it was' simply won't be possible.

If I may inquire, what are going to be so noticeable differences? As someone who works largely with the text color, I want to know if I should start gathering BBC codes for my posts and also, what I might notice to be different.

If I may inquire, what are going to be so noticeable differences? As someone who works largely with the text color, I want to know if I should start gathering BBC codes for my posts and also, what I might notice to be different.

Most of the obvious differences will be in the way things look and feel. Aesthetically things will look slightly different at first but will for the most part still all be in the same places, and things will work and feel snappier.

As for differences that won't be immediately obvious, there will be new smaller tweaks and features throughout.

The text editor will be a more robust one than the one we currently have but will still support most of the same bbCodes, particularly anything relating to color as those are standard in the bbCode system. In addition to bbCode, it'll also support Markdown, but I can't say yet to what extent we'll have it enabled or limited.

The only bbCodes that will be affected are the custom ones we've implemented which are:
Code:
 [gallery] for embedding media gallery links, [gform] for embedding Google forms, [hr] the horizontal rule line, [image_left] and [image_right], [justify_text], and [pdf].
Some of these are now built in, the others we'll just have to re-instate but it's possible that they'll require re-typing into existing post content once that's done, since their internal names may change.

In the weeks following the upgrade, we'll make a new Site Guide showcasing all of the features of the site and how to utilize them.

I nearly forgot to ask the most important question. What time zone is the 12 to 5 applicable to? ( Ie what main timezone does STC use)

Oops. EST. I included that in the main announcement, but forgot to on the header. I'll get the fixed when I get home tonight.

Back